z

Young Writers Society

Potential Digimon Storybook [Digibook]

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:28 pm
Megrim says...

Erm, this is a writing website. You'd desribe them the same way you'd describe any original fantasy creation...?

Anyway personally I wouldn't worry about being OP. It's a story, not a game that requires balance, or a detailed plan at launch. We could easily discuss what's going on and implement changes, or simply talk to any individuals who are abusing their powers. How is it any different to any other character? If someone made a character a master swordsman/archer/mage/hacker that could defeat all plot elements, you'd talk to them about not god moding. Same if they created an invincible digimon. I don't see what makes it different.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:26 pm
Lumi says...

@Megrim --> It's just my decision as dungeon master to use pre-existing Digimon. It's easier on everyone involved and gives the book more of a nostalgic feel. :]
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:18 am
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Megrim I realize that. Would still get messy really quickly, especially for people who don't necessarily know much about Digimons.
Not saying it's impossible though.

I didn't worry much about that either until recently, actually. I didn't realize that Op factor would be so troublesome until an explanation was delivered to me.
The main difference, as far as I've seen, is that having pre-existing Digimons is easier to handle for everyone, and also that we don't necessarily have the same views of what it means to be overpowered for our characters, which would cause miscommunication and arguments than can last.
Not that I mind those (I mean we are having a really interesting conversation right now, aren't we), but it would definitely tone down such problems with using actual Digimons. Plus, the world is apparently completely original, so we still have some liberty in that aspect.
That, and we don't have to follow exactly what abilities they learn and at what "level" (as it changes a lot), so we also have some freedom as to how we make our pets grow.
Again: Not at all against the idea of custom digimons, just saying real ones are easier to handle for everyone.

EDIT: Oh, just read what you posted, @Lumi. Nevermind all that!
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

Don't aim at success--the more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side-effect of one's dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself.
— Viktor E. Frankl