z

Young Writers Society

Fugue State: Interest Check

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Sat May 09, 2015 12:21 am
kayfortnight says...

Tick... tock... goes the clock...

Every minute that passes, you grow more sure something’s wrong.

You were born... you don’t remember. You don’t remember much of your life before the Project. They say that’s normal for someone who went through the trauma you did.

But you remember the burning pain over every millimeter of your body and inside it, too, the blinding light in your eyes, the noise so loud but you couldn’t cover your ears, the acrid taste of blood in your mouth, the paralyzation.

They say everyone you loved was gone. Dead or MIA. You don’t remember them. They say perhaps it’s for the best. They pulled you from the rubble, barely alive, the skin seared from your body, gashes in your skin, broken bones everywhere. They’ve shown you pictures. They say it’s lucky you survived. You and the other members of the Project. They say the bad people attacked you all.

You’ve been in the Project for two years now. When they saved you, the destruction had changed you. You and the others. They say you have a responsibility to use your new powers for good. They’ll point you at the targets, and you’ll save the world.

But something’s wrong. Little things make you think that perhaps they aren’t telling the full truth about the Project. Their expressions, their tones. Somehow, you’re afraid to go out in the real world for your missions.

Tick... tock...

Somehow, someway, something’s wrong.

The Real Story:

You grew up in the real world. You had a normal life. You had a hobby or sport or job or extracurricular you were obsessed about. Friends, family, maybe a girlfriend or boyfriend. You were in college, studying to become who knows what.

They chose you because of your hobby. You and the others. They needed someone who was obsessed. Who really, honestly, truly cared. Your new power is based off this obsession.

They kidnapped you from your college two years ago, just poofed you to them. You and the others. They changed you. They buried your memories until you couldn’t access them. They created new ones. Made you utterly loyal to them. Made you believe you were friends with the others. Maybe one of them was even your boyfriend or girlfriend, according to them.

They want to use you as a team to attack entire armies. They want to rule the world.

You trust them.

...For now.

Spoiler! :
Reply if you're interested.
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sat May 09, 2015 2:59 am
crossroads says...

There might or might not be a character idea in my mind already.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

Random avatar

Sat May 09, 2015 10:10 am
kayfortnight says...

:) I love you.

Random avatar

Sat May 09, 2015 12:52 pm
kayfortnight says...

Oh, and for clarification of the "obsessions choose your powers" part, here's an example: A character who loves to study psychology becomes a telepath, because psychology is focused on how people think. Course, we probably won't have a telepath in this unless we come up with a good reason why the character wouldn't become unbrainwashed virtually immediately :)

And this can be pretty small-if it starts, four people as a minimum, including me. I haven't decided a maximum yet, though I don't think I'd go beyond ten or perhaps eight.

@AriaAdams, if this works out, what do you want to be your character's obsession?

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sat May 09, 2015 2:01 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

Omg. This. Me. Yes. But time is not on my side and exams loom. ;-;

(Translation: I have a character in mind, but asdfghjkl exams in June)
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sat May 09, 2015 3:46 pm
KingLucifer says...

*Throws my fedora into the ring*
An angel, a knight, a man who will bring light to where there is only darkness, I am the Morning Star, the Bringer of Light, hail to me as I am King Lucifer!

Formerly: Avalon

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sat May 09, 2015 4:44 pm
crossroads says...

kay, I'm not 100% set on my obsession. I'm debating between some stuff to do with music, some stuff to do with cards/tricks, and some stuff to do with clockwork. Right now I'm not sure which one I'd pick as my favourite, but I'll do my best to be creative either way.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

Random avatar

Sat May 09, 2015 6:42 pm
kayfortnight says...

That works, Aria :) And @Auxiira, I'm in the middle of AP exams and community college finals- I doubt it's going to be fast-paced for quite a while yet.

Looks like I'll put together an actual storybook and DT for this soon, though :)

Random avatar

Sat May 09, 2015 9:51 pm
kayfortnight says...

Posted!
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?t=103309

As a former (and rather excellent) liar herself, Aru knew that, sometimes, speaking the truth felt like wrenching a thorn out of your side. But doing the opposite meant pretending it wasn't there. And that made every single step ache. It was no way to live.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality