Young Writers Society

Storybook Profiles: A How To Guide

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:42 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

I think this was originally posted in a Squills issue because it's dated 2011 and that's around the time when Bekah was bugging me for articles? Anyway, I came across it on my computer and wanted to share!

Storybook Profiles: A How To Guide

Most of you will be aware of the storybooks section, but for those who are new or who haven't come across our little corner of the site, allow me to explain. But wait. Don't go anywhere my old timers, there are tips and tricks for you as well!

What are storybooks then? Well, my ducklings, they are stories, but not like any you have seen before. When you pick up a book, that book's end is pre-destined. You may not know where it will go but its creators and the readers before you have already discovered all its secrets and details. Storybooks are by far more alive. It is up to the participants what happens in them and every step of the journey is filled with unexpected twists and turns.

And where there are storybooks, there are storybook profiles. There's a lot to consider when creating a character, will they be gallant or sneaky, will they be knight or mage. You might even on occasion need to ask yourself, will they be dead or alive? This guide is not the definitive answer on character creation but rather is meant to serve as inspiration and to open your eyes to the many possibilities. It is too easy to play the same brand of character over and over again because they are familiar and already mapped out, but perhaps after reading this you will be ready to step outside your comfort zone.

How Much Detail Should I include?

This can vary a lot depending on what type of storybook you're joining. You'll always want to give the basic details like your character's name and age, a rough idea of their appearance and personality, but sometimes you'll want to be more thorough. If the storybook is a fantasy there might be extra categories that look a little confusing at first!

You'll want to fill out all the categories as best as you can, but don't feel as though you're forced to reveal every secret, in fact you'll want to keep a few of those back. The best of the storybooks are as full of surprises as they are well planned. And these surprises shouldn't come just from the creator, but also from the other participants.

The Basics

Name: For historical storybooks, you'll need to look up names that are appropriate for the era and if it's fantasy, you might want to use something a little more unusual but try to avoid those really silly names like Atha'lulu'tuon because they just take too long to type out and your character will be henceforth known as Lulu.

Age: If you've joined several storybooks then try out different ages, sometimes it's fun to be the crotchety old grandfather who's always telling everyone what to do! Also, you need to match your character's personality and level of abilities to their age. Don't let me see any 200 year old vampires acting like sulky teenage boys! The advantage of playing the older characters is that you get the best pick of skills and experience. If it comes to blows between a fourteen year old boy with his father's sword and a forty year old knight who has led men into the heart of battles. I'm sorry but, your character or not, the boy is in for a spanking.

Appearance: Does your character have any defining features – scars, freckles, tattoos? Are they currently injured? What do they normally wear?

Personality: Make sure you mention both virtues and flaws; there is no such thing as a perfect character!

History: Where is your character originally from and what have they been through to become the person they are today?

Strengths and Weaknesses: What is your character good at and what are they not so good at? Also, try to mention how this has affected who they are. Maybe being good at sports has made your character fearless or being poor at maths has given your character a lack of self confidence.

Likes and Dislikes: What does your character like to do in their spare time? Remember to make sure it fits in with the storybook, for example, a character from the Victorian era can not spend their free time playing video games.

Extra Categories

Race: This one affects a lot about your character so choose carefully and remember to apply any obvious traits. For example, if you have an elf, they have a much weaker constitution than a troll! But on the plus side would be quicker than the troll.

Weapons: Does your character carry weapons? Be realistic, some weapons are heavy and your character only has so many places to put them.

Sexual Preference: Perhaps your character likes the same gender or both? Sometimes there's an over abundance of one gender in a storybook and you may be able to bridge the gap by creating a bisexual character.

Allegiance: In some storybooks you'll find that there are warring factions and you must choose a side. If you've played a hero before, maybe try a villain this time!

Are there Different Formats I can use?

Yes there are! Most people fall into the groove of using third person for their profiles, but there are other options too! You could write in second person, describing your character as another might find them: 'You see before you a gaunt man whose face has been marked by the wasting disease.'

Or if you really want to shake things up, why not try an interview format? Change the category titles to questions and have your character answer in their own voice! For example: 'What sort of person do you consider yourself to be?' Oh a nice one, I'm a dandy fellow me. Very ed-oo-cated like and intellectual, yes sir. A right dandy, you'll not find a better man than me.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

ask not what u can do for ur bones but of what ur bones can do for u
— Carina