z

Young Writers Society

A storybook with only queer characters?

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:42 pm
kingofeli says...

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I was wondering what people would think about a storybook where only queer characters would be allowed? I really want something that's inclusive for us queerfolk on here, and where it can be a safe space for those of us who are.
Feel free to just randomly message me, I get bored easily.

I'm a black, non-binary transgender boy, who is a Christian witch (tentative for now). I'm also a panromantic asexual. I sell poetry; contact me if you're interested in buying poems from me.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:26 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

I'm a fan of anything that involves marginalized people, but I'm also against anything that excludes any type of person for any reason. For that reason, I would personally not be so strict on the "only queer characters" because that's 1.) unrealistic, 2.) discriminatory, and 3.) really unrealistic.

If you'd rather advertise that the story centers around queer folk, then that's totally good and fine and I think it'd be a hit. But if you strictly say no to a type of character just so you can have a shiny shelf of beautiful queers, then you're on the wrong think-train.

Let me know if you work it out. I'll probably join.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

60 Reviews

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:05 pm
View Likes
kingofeli says...

Lumi wrote:I'm a fan of anything that involves marginalized people, but I'm also against anything that excludes any type of person for any reason. For that reason, I would personally not be so strict on the "only queer characters" because that's 1.) unrealistic, 2.) discriminatory, and 3.) really unrealistic.

If you'd rather advertise that the story centers around queer folk, then that's totally good and fine and I think it'd be a hit. But if you strictly say no to a type of character just so you can have a shiny shelf of beautiful queers, then you're on the wrong think-train.

Let me know if you work it out. I'll probably join.

@Lumi well yeah that's pretty much what I meant, that it centers/focuses around queer people. I just don't want a storybook with heterosexual characters/romance as the main focus because there's enough of that.

I'm a black, non-binary transgender boy, who is a Christian witch (tentative for now). I'm also a panromantic asexual. I sell poetry; contact me if you're interested in buying poems from me.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:15 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

There's only much more focus on that because of how the characters themselves are written, though. And that's often because many people don't even know where to start with queer chars, and/or don't want to accidentally offend anyone.
An SB like the one you're talking about might actually be a really good thing to show people that they don't need to fear playing queer chars - like a sort of learning ground, along with all the fun that every SB brings. As long as it's not exclusive to any character, it sounds good.

I'd most likely be in on that too, so you can poke me if you make it.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

60 Reviews

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:19 pm
kingofeli says...

@AriaAdams yeah I see a lot of people say they just "don't know" how to play queer characters, when those of us who play them know it's really not that different from heterosexual characters xD

Well, the only way to start is by starting
— AvantCoffee