Young Writers Society

Indigena

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:41 am
Iggy says...

Alyssa | Jungle

Cassie quickly passed out a few minutes later, The strain of walking was too much for her, and so Alyssa and Damien carefully heaved her to his group in the jungle, her head rolling left and resting on Alyssa's shoulder.

Once they reached the group, Alyssa carefully lowered her friend to the ground and sat beside her, brushing her hair out of her eyes. She made sure Cassie was breathing fine, then sighed and stood up to face Damien. "It's gonna kill her when she hears about the crash."

"You think she forgot?" he asked.

"I'm afraid she might have a concussion, with all this passing out. I'll break it to her gently." Alyssa coughed and wiped a hand across her mouth. "I don't suppose you have any water?"

He shook his head and she sighed. "Figured. Oh well. Thanks for saving us, by the way."

"No problem." he grinned, but she could tell his leg was killing him, so she carefully helped him sit down and looked around at all of the people who went to her school, huddled together and terrified. Then she looked up and noticed how the sun was going down.

She took a wobbly step forward and spoke, "Looks like the sunset is almost here. We should all get some sleep. We'll need to start exploring the island tomorrow. Fresh water is a necessity, as is food. We'll need to make weapons to hunt. Some of us need to gather rocks to make an SOS sign on the beach and people will need to keep watch during the day in case anyone comes by. They could be our only chance for salvation. We'll also need to go back to the island and scavenge what we can from the plane. Supplies, items, food.." her voice trailed off and she sighed. "Anyways, you should all sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day."
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:55 am
AlfonsoFernandez says...

Alex | Open Waters

Alex was finally deciding that his big change had changed so much. It didn't matter what he told himself, his hate would always resurface. And anyway, why should he like any of them, for all they had done for him? They had done nothing. It had only been Elvis and Faith, and maybe even Ezzie a bit. But no one else had ever looked up to him. Everyone seemed to look down to him, as if he were inferior. He didn't know whether it was the loneliness of being on his makeshift raft that had brought back bad memories and thoughts, but he knew that he would never be able to banish his hate for these people. Those thoughts of hate angered him, but he knew he could never get rid of them. He knew they were the only truth, and he could not escape it.

As much as Alex hated the island and everything it had done to him, all the sadness and chaos it had brought, he did not wish to go back to the real world. What would become of his life then? He would need to study, get a job. Here, all he had to do was live off the land, get himself a place in the unjust society that was the food chain. Out here in the island, he may not be completely happy, but at least he could live. He didn't have to choose the way his life would go, for it was unpredictable. He just had to live it.

He no longer knew what he would do with the rest of these people. His thoughts of making rules for the society so they could leave in peace with the island were starting to disappear. He knew no one would really follow his fishing plans on the beach, and he doubted that anyone would do as he had said. He knew it was for best, but of course, no one would listen to him. He was the crazy Mexican.

Alex was still on his raft, but he had spent several hours out at sea, so he thought he should get back. The tide was high and the waves were growing by the beach. Too much. He knew he couldn't land there, he would wreck his raft. But he saw another way. It was a bit more dangerous for him, but at least his raft would stay safe. He manipulated the boar-hide kite so that it guided him all the way to a place where the island met the ocean in some jagged rocks. It wasn't too far from the crash zone. In no time, Alex had docked the raft in that place and was climbing the rocks. Then he made his kite come back and clutched it in one hand. The ground was wet and moss and algae grew in some parts of the rocks, so the ground was slippery.

As he made his way to the beach, Alex thought about the island. For once he didn't think of what others thought of him, but how his luck had been compared with others. They might hate him, but he knew he had been the one with the most luck so far. Sure, he had fought a boar. But he'd survived. He'd barely been scratched.

Elvis lost his sight. Damien and PJ probably lost their legs. The blue-eyed girl has barely been conscious the whole time. The Asian girl probably lost her sanity. I could've lost a hand, or a leg, or my head. I wonder what would have happened if-

Alex had been so lost in thought, he had no longer been paying attention to where he was walking. One foot stepped on a piece of slippery algae, and he slipped. His hands were wrapped with the kite's "string", so his movements were slow. He could, therefore, not stop his head for falling onto a rock. He immediately lost consciousness.

• • •

A silver-eyed, golden skinned boy woke up lying on the ground. The ground was really hard. Curious. The air smelled heavy and wet. Maybe the boy was at sea. But how could he ever know?

Oh, right, I can see. He slowly opened his eyes and took in his surroundings. He was lying in a rocky floor. That was why the floor was so hard. Off to his left, a huge expanse of water lay, restless. He was sure it was a sea, or an ocean. He didn't know how he knew. He could smell salt water, maybe that was it. Off to his right, there was a beach. Huge scraps of metal lay scattered all over the ground, but one piece was exceptionally big. He could see seats inside. Had it been a plane, or maybe a bus? But how would a bus get there anyway. I guess it's just a plane. Maybe that's how I got here. He didn't know why, but the boy found that funny. He laughed out loud.

He got up and immediately got dizzy. He sat back down. He did not like feeling dizzy. The world wobbled and your breath got all disgusting and you didn't like it. So no, no. Better take it easy. The boy attempted to stand again, very slowly this time. He didn't feel so bad then, so he started walking. He walked off towards a forest further inland. I've always liked beaches. But this beach is lonely and boring. I want to go somewhere where there is people.

The boy suddenly stopped walking when another question came to his mind. Where am I? He concentrated, hard, but nothing came. Nothing but another question. This question was even scarier than the last one, and it bothered him. Who am I? He stood there for a few minutes, but his brain seemed to be a big blank. He could not answer any question he asked himself. Why am I asking so many questions? Silly me. The boy giggled to himself. The situation was funny.

He kept walking and finally got into the forest. He kept following the loudest sounds. Then there wasn't anything, but he kept walking because he thought he had been there before. Then he saw another boy sitting there, not really seeming to have any goals to accomplish. He just sat there, his eyes closed. He had blonde hair, and really long lashes. The sleeping boy seemed startled when the other boy greeted him, "Hey!"

The blond boy jumped up, and looked around. He squinted his eyes but didn't seem to find anything. His eyes were unfocused and funny-looking. "Alex?" he asked.

The first boy didn't understand what that meant. And then he seemed to remember. Alex was a name. So he spoke, "Are you Alex? That's a funny name."

The other boy replied, "I know it's you Alex, this isn't funny. You shouldn't be joking about me. I can't really see you, you know."

"My name is Alex? Ha ha. Silly me, I should have known. I think. Do people always know their names. You look like you could know..."

The blonde boy's face changed, as if angering. But it was something more, he looked upset. And worried. "Oh my god Alex, you're not kidding, are you?"

"Me? No, you seem sad. I wouldn't like to upset you more." Then he thought of a joke and blurted it out, "And why would I joke with you? You wouldn't see the point in it..." Alex (is that really my name?) giggled, and saw the other boy's expression get more serious. "Sorry I upset you. What is your name?"

The blond boy seemed to be staring at him, although that was silly, because he couldn't see. Alex giggled. "You really don't remember me Alex?" asked the boy. Alex shook his head. "God. We need to get you with Faith, see if she has a plan. Oh, and my name is Elvis."

Alex found that funny. He remembered another man named Elvis. Oh yeah, he was the king or pop. Or was it rock. Alex thought he remembered one of his songs. He vaguely felt the boy Elvis, who obviously wasn't the king of rock, because his voice was cracked, call out a word. He didn't get why he Elvis was shouting words of belief into the air, but then he thought that that was probably a name. Faith. Yeah, it must be. Another voice replied in the distance, and Elvis sat down, hard. He looked to Alex's direction and motioned for him to do the same.

As they waited for who-knew-what-or-who, Elvis seemed to be meditating. Alex happily hummed a song. He thought he remembered the title, but he wasn't sure. It didn't really matter. So he sang.

"Love me tender, love me sweet..."
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny the Elder

[insert inspiring quote]

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:37 pm
Liv says...

Faith ¦ Jungle

"Follow my right pointer finger." I ordered, moving it slowly left and and right in front of Alex's face, watching his eyes.

"Well he definitely has a concussion." I prescribed, kneeling before him and running my hands through his hair in search of a bump or cut - I found a prominent bump.

"From where the bump is, that's the lobe that controls memories - there's no telling whether he'll get it back or not. It's basically a sort of amnesia he can remember some things, like Elvis Presley and some world events, but he lost his identity and a few months of memories." I explained, "He needs to take it easy for a while - only time will tell."

As far as I could see this wasn't the Alex we had all come to know - his heart seemed lighter, as if forgetting things freed him somehow.

"So...we just have to wait." Ezzie stated, twisting her hands. She had stumbled upon us calling for Elvis, for reasons I could only assume, and their conversation was put off when we told her about Alex.

"Alex," I said carefully, "What's your mom's name?"

He blinked slowly, squinting his eyes before asking, "I have a mom?"

"Yeah Ezzie," I answered, "We just have to wait. Or find a way off this island."

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:28 am
Basil says...

Saph|Jungle

Spoiler! :
Sorry It's so long. I wanted to make it worth the read!

P.J. limps over to me on the beach. I smile as he sits down and starts pulling out berries from his pockets. He holds out a handful of berries and I take them. We eat in companionable silence, and when we’ve finished, I lean on P.J.’ side, and he wraps an arm around me, his head resting on top of mine.
“What now?” I ask.
P.J. shrugs. “I guess we go back to our little camp,” he offers.
I help P.J. stand up and we walk back into the jungle, arm in arm. The cuts and scratches over my body have scabbed over and no longer hurt.
Finally we reach the camp and I help P.J. to sit down. I lie down beside him and fall asleep.
I dream of running through the jungle. At first I think it’s going to be a recurring dream, but then I find myself laughing, running beside P.J. who is smiling in turn. Then he’s a monkey, and I’m running for my life, screaming for P.J. to help me.
“Run!” A voice echoes through the jungle. “Run! Run! Run! Run!”
“I’m running, I’m running!” I scream.
“Run!” The voice grows louder, and I run faster.
Suddenly I’m falling. My arms and legs flail out around me, and I look around to find open space. A blue sky is above me, with nothingness all around, and below, more blue. As I fall closer, I realise it’s the ocean, and I will myself to stop falling.
Suddenly, feathers burst from my skin, and I’m a bird, soaring high above the waves, dipping and diving through the air currents. I feel elation coursing through me, and wish time to stop so I could soar like this again.
“Saph!” A voice reaches my ears, carried along the wind. “Saph, come back to me!”
“P.J.?” I stop flying and find myself hovering above an island, no longer a bird.
“Saph! Help!” P.J. sounds distressed.
I dive down toward the trees, and land beside P.J., who is standing up, smiling at me. I tilt my head to the side in confusion, and he opens his arms. I smile, confusion gone, and leap into them. He hugs me tight.
“Please stay with me,” he murmurs into my hair.
“I’ll never leave you, P.J.,” I tell him, burying my nose into his neck. “I love you.”
The scene changes again, and I’m in a hospital. I’m staring down at my best friend, her head swathed in bandages, her exposed skin covered in cuts and gashes. Curly red hair springs through some cracks in the bandages, and I stare at them, tears in my eyes.
“She’s not going to make it,” the doctor tells my friend’s Mum. “I’m sorry, Ma’am.”
I hear sobs, but I can’t do anything. All I can do is stare at my friend’s hair, red like fire, frizzy and wild like the girl she is. Or was. Is she dead already? Can she hear me now?
“Shay?” I whisper.
I bend down beside her, both my hands on her arms.
“Shay? Please wake up,” I shake her softly.
“Please, child, step away from the body,” a stiff voice says above me.
A hand on my shoulder drags me back, and I leap up angrily. I whirl around to see a man in white staring at me with cold, brown eyes. He indicates the door, and tries to push me toward it.
“No,” I snarl.
“Get out, please,” he says in an icy voice.
His hand wraps around my upper arm, and drags me toward the door. I pull against him, but he’s too strong. I cast a glance over my shoulder to see my best friend being covered in a blanket, her red hair only visible. I scream and lash out at the man pulling me away.
My fist hits his nose, and he cries out. I jump back, ready to fight. He snarls at me and lunges forward, but I skip to the side and bring my knee up into his face.
He falls to the ground, and another man is running at me. I grab his hair in my hand and prepare to punch him, when –
“Saph!”
I’m jolted from me sleep and sit up to find my hands full of leaves. P.J. is huddled beside a tree, a scratch mark on his arm. I stare in shock as he crawls forward slowly.
“You are dreaming,” he says quietly. “You thought I was someone else.”
“I’m going to go for a walk,” I quickly say, and jump up. P.J. makes a sound of protest in the back of his throat, but I’m gone before he can say anything.
I walk for about half an hour and come to a fence line. I realise it is the fence I’d helped Faith, Ezzie and Elvis on … when was that? Time is blurring together, and I don’t know what happened yesterday or three hours ago.
I climb over the fence and continue walking. Suddenly, I hear a sound that freezes my blood. It’s a sort of growling hiss only a wild animal would make. I stop and turn my head to the side to see a huge, wild boar glaring at me. I turn my head the other way and see piglets staring at me with wide, innocent eyes.
“Oh shit,” I breathe, drawing out the ‘oh’.
I turn around and run. I can hear the boar chasing after me. I see the fence and increase my speed and leap. I clear the fence, but my legs buckle under me, and I tumble and roll. I get up and keep running, unsure if the boar is still following.
One of my feet don’t touch the ground, and suddenly I’m flying forward. I land on the ground, something sharp going straight through my left shoulder. I scream loudly, and turn my head to look at the spear that has pierced my shoulder.
Breathing hard, I slowly rise up, watching as the spear comes out of my shoulder, blood dripping down the wood. I stare in horror for a few seconds before letting out the loudest, most blood curdling scream I’ve ever managed.
Last edited by Basil on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

67 Reviews

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:37 am
Ciblio says...

Damien | Jungle

A scream.

A really, really loud scream.

I cover my ears, and look around, trying to find the source of the sound.

"Who in the hell?!" I yell, looking at Faith.

She shrugged, and looked behind me.

Her eyes widen, as she stares in shock at something.

I turn quickly, and see a girl, blood rushing from her arm.

My adrenaline was pumping, and for a second I had forgotten about my leg.

In that second, I jumped up, only to fall back onto the ground.

"God DAMMIT."

I stood up again, on one leg, and moved as fast as I could to the girl.

Who was that?

I reached her side, and fell to the ground, trying to calm her down.

What was it...Saph? I wasn't very good with names.

"Hey, hey! Some help here?" I hollered behind me. "Saph, is that your name?"

Her eyes were wild, and she was trying to clutch her shoulder, but I tried my best to not let that happen. She managed to nod slightly, barely noticeable, since she was freaking out.

I tore off my shirt, and tied it around her shoulder, trying to slow down the blood flow. Worked a little.

Faith was frantic. She gave me some clothe she had found, and some vine.

I had no idea what in the living fuck I was doing.

The would didn't even seem very deep. But the blood just kept coming.

Maybe it hit the vines. Er, what were they called? Oh, right, veins.

"What do I do? How can I help?" Faith asked, holding her face.

"Um, uh...get me some water somehow."

She took off.

"Okay, um, Saph? You need to calm down. Maybe that'll slow the blood flow." I tried.

I listened to her breathing heavily.

"Can you talk to me?" I asked.

She swallowed hard. "B-boars...spear..arm..blood.."

Apply...something to slow blood flow.

P word...pa..pu..pe.."PRESSURE." I yell, not really meaning to say it out loud.

"Apply pressure to slow blood flow."

I took the vine, wrapped it in clothe, so it wouldn't cut off her circulation, and tied it tight around the part that was bleeding.

I frowned, and looked around me. "WHERE IN THE HELL IS EZRIAH? SHE KNOWS ABOUT THIS SHIT. NOT ME."

I'm freaking out right now.

Jesus Christ. What in the world do I do?
'we have lingered in the chambers of the sea /
by sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown /
till human voices wake us, and we drown'

previously:
GuyFieri

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:13 pm
View Likes
TinyJarStoredDreams says...

Peej

I watched as Saph ran out of the tree house a frantic look blazing in the gorgeous eyes. Once again she had left me. I looked around the tree house sighing looking for something to do. Off in the corner I saw a bit of rope and some logs. I smiled to my self knowing what I could use them for.

I reached for the hatchet that laid next to where Saph was laying and I took of my right shoe. I placed my beat up Adias on the floor and picket up the hatchet. I tore a bit of my shirt off and tied it tightly around my shin and then aimed to hit just above the ankle. I bit my lip hard, until blood drew, and started taking off my useless foot. It my have been numb but some parts were still working and when I hit them, it hurt like fuck.

My screams rang through out the tree house as I took one last swing at it. As soon as it was off I took off my shirt and used to put pressure on my stump to stop the bleeding. My vision was going black but I knew that if I passed out I would die, so I kept working as fast as I could.

I took my knife out of my back pocket and held it over the small fire just next to me. The blade was soon blazing red and I prepared myself for the worst. I place the red hot blade on the stump and screamed again. I held it there till I knew my foor was fully cauterized. I wrapped my already ruined shirt around it to cool it down and started working on a foot.

I carved the wood into the shape of a foot and then a small cylinder to act as an ankle. I tied them together in a way that my ankle and foot could still move slightly, just like a human foot. I burned a bit of rope into the log so I could have something to tie my foot onto my leg with. I wiped a bit of blood that came from me biting my lip off and took off my bloody shirt. I quickly used another one of the shirts I grabbed before I came here and tied it around my foot to serve as a new cloth.

Then came the moment of truth. I lined up my new foot to my stump and tied the long extra piece of rope around my shin and up around my knee. I leaned back to look at it moving my leg up and down so my foot bends and straightens. I smile to my self and lay my ruined shirt over my old foot. I stand slowly trying to get used to my new foot and slowly limp to the doorway. I lift my ruined shirt and foot and throw them into the jungle a scream roaring from my mouth. I watch them disappear before limping back to my spot and instantly passing out.

~~~~~

"Everyone please buckle your seat belts, we are having some turbulence at the moment." The pilot says. I reach down from my book and strap on my seat belt across my lap.

The girl across the isle from me is arguing with a boy that has a shiny badge on his shirt. Her hair is long and dark, her blue eyes shiny across the plane, Saph. I leaned over to back her up in her argument but as soon as I opened my mouth, the plane started to shake. I watched as they struggled to find their seatbelts. I reached across the isle and helped Saph with hers as she smiled lightly at me.

The plane shook hard and I held onto the handles hard hoping for it to end soon. A light fell down from the ceiling and hit Saph making her pass out along with the prefect boy next to her.

I looked around the plane franticly as more and more things were falling. I looked out of my window to see the wing was on fire and we were crashing. I watched as everyone around me was getting hit with falling things. A creak sounded above me as I looked up to the lights falling. I raised my arms above my head to stop it from crushing me.

A heard a huge bang as the plane jerked to a stop. I closed my eyes as most of the people were flung out of the burning plane. I felt the devils hands crawling up my back as my shirt caught on fire. I screamed ripping off my shirt just when a suitcase came down and hit me in the head. Then everything went black.

~~~

I woke screaming as sweat dripped down my face. I sat up and pulled my knees to my chest. Tears streamed down my face as I felt a hand wrap around my shoulders.
How the hell are we suppose to look forward to the future if we aren't sure if we will be alive in the next 20 seconds?

67 Reviews

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:39 pm
AlfonsoFernandez says...

Alex | Jungle • Boar Enclosure

There was a scream, and Alex winced. The scream sounded bad. Alex was sure whoever screamed was not feeling good. Alex looked to the other people, Elvis, Faith, and Ezzie, the short pretty girl. They all looked at each other, as if they wanted advice from the other person but didn't want to talk. Weird. Did people usually talk like that? Alex tried sending his thoughts to Elvis, but Elvis didn't seem to get them. Too bad. Maybe Alex couldn't talk with his mind like others did. They weren't looking at him. They seemed to be deciding what to do.

Alex swiftly climbed a tree, and then jumped from that tree to the next. He swung himself through the branches and kept going from tree to tree. Soon he was above a girl that was sitting on the ground. Her shoulder was bleeding. Alex looked at his shoulder. It was okay. He wondered what had happened to the girl. He saw Faith arrive soon after, and a few seconds later, Ezzie arrived as well, guiding Elvis. Alex closed his eyes and wondered how Elvis got around the island. He turned his head and moved around a bit, but his eyes were closed, so he didn't see a branch next to his face. He hit it hard, losing his balance.

Alex fell down the tree, hitting branches that slowed down his fall. He finally reached the ground. His head and all the rest of his body hurt, but he was fine. He started giggling. Silly me. I'm not Elvis. He can see without eyes, not me.

The others looked at him with worried expressions, surely thinking he had really hurt himself, but ignored him when they started laughing. Everyone seemed so concentrated on the girl with the injured shoulder that no one seemed to notice the boars that approached them with angry expressions. Alex understood those boars. The girl had bothered them. She had made them upset. Alex noticed that there was a hole in the fence, where the boars had gotten out from. Surely that was where the girl had gotten hurt.

"Piggies," Alex said casually. He started giggling. Ezzie looked at him and frowned. She didn't seem to understand what was going on. "Look," said Alex, pointing towards the 'piggies'. Everyone turned their head toward the boars and froze. Elvis picked up a spear. Alex had a hatchet in his hand, he hadn't let go of it, but he felt no need to use it. He liked the piggies. On his other hand he still held a kite. He had planned on using it but he had come instead to where the injured girl was. He stroked the kite, while he looked at the boars. No one moved. Then a thought struck him.

My kite is a piggy! His new discovery enlightened him, bringing a big grin to his face. Carelessly, he got up, and strode over to the wild boars.

"Alex, stop! They're dangerous!" Faith tried stopping him, but he payed her no attention. Surely the piggies wouldn't hurt him, would they.

To everyone's surprise, they did not. Alex approached the nearest one and petted him like a child would pet a dog. It didn't seem to mind. Elvis tried approaching, but this time the boars growled. Alex walked among them, and they seemed to accept him. No, more than that. They respected him.

"No way," Ezzie exclaimed.

"How-?" started Faith, but Elvis caught her off.

"He fought the alpha boar, if you can call it that. He beat it and killed it, so maybe now the boars accept him. It sounds crazy, but there doesn't seem to be another explanation..."

Alex remembered then, hazily, as if it were the memory of a dream. But it didn't seem like him. He remembered being angry at the boar. He remembered enjoying smashing through its skull with the hatchet he still held in his hand. It didn't seem like him. But it kind of made sense. He giggled.

"I'm the alpha piggy."
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny the Elder

[insert inspiring quote]

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:13 am
fictionfanatic says...

Elvis | Jungle

Everything was going to hell. People were losing limbs, eyesight, getting stabbed by spears, losing their sanity as Alex was so excellently displaying now. We were running out of time for Saph, as you can't exactly live on an island with an open wound on your shoulder. Turning away from Alex I wracked my brain for what to do. I had been in a situation like this only once before...and he died.

"Where's Saph," I said, but rather than waiting dropped to the ground and felt around for her. She wasn't hard to find though, her crying enough to guide me to her.

"It's okay Saph, it's going to be okay, I've done this before." I soothed, trailing my hands about until I found the spot soaked in blood.

As I pushed the cloth away I closed my eyes, the scent of the blood making me queasy - it always had.

~~~

"Pete, I don't think this is a good idea." I said, my breath turning white in the biting air and stepping quickly to keep up with him.

"Come on Elvis," he teased lowly, the street lamps giving his white hair an odd glow, "Don't make me regret taking you in, the other guys already give me crap for it."

Rolling my eyes I simply kept my mouth shut. It was true, Pete had taken me in while the others laughed at me. I didn't hold it against them, though, as who would trust a military brat going through his rebellious phase?

"They said that they would be right arou-aargh!" Pete screamed, falling to the ground at the sound of a gun.

"Pete!" I screamed, running over to him as the car peeled away, the sound of the tires screeching.

"Sons of bitches!" Pete moaned, clutching his chest, "Those sons of bitches said they had something for me, they had something alright!"

"It...it's going to be alright, Pete! I saw Johnny do this when Red got shot last month, I just have to..." I tore away the fabric, the sight and smell of the blood suddenly making me lightheaded.

"Come on Elvis, don't go weak on me now!" Pete moaned, his face beading with sweat.

Taking a deep breath I stilled myself and delved in to his wound, pinching at the tissue to stop the bleeding.

"I-I'm going to call an ambulance, I just need to find a...find a phone." I said, looking around for a pay phone, my voice shaking.

"Don't! Don't leave me Elvis, I...I don't want to die alone." He said, his breathing shallow.

"Pete...you're not going to die..." I said, trying to convince myself more than him, my throat building up with tears, "You're going to be okay."

"You've always been a shit liar, Elvis." he said, blinking slowly.

"Pete..." I cried, tears falling from my eyes uncontrollably.

"Elvis," he whispered, "I want you to leave."

"I'm not leaving!" I shouted.

"No...I mean...leave this life. You're too good for it...you need to get out, Elvis."

"I...I will." I cried, nodding furiously.

His eyes rolled over to look up at me and he whispered, "Tell my mom I love her and that..." he began to choke up, his eyes watering, "And that i'm sorry."

~~~

Reaching in to Saph's wound I pinched the tissues in her wound, eyes still closed as I felt around.

"Do you know what you're doing!?" Damien asked from somewhere at my right, from the sound of it right beside me.

"I've done it before," I said, trying to steady my hands and hold back the sudden flood of memory and urge to cry.

"And it worked?" He asked.

I thought for a moment, opening my eyes and then sliding my gaze over to where his voice came from, "...I didn't say that..."

"Then why are you do-" he yelled before I cut him off.

"I'm doing it because we don't exactly have any other options, now do we!?" I yelled back.

Turning back to look at Saph I said softly, "But Pete was different. He was shot in the chest. It'll be okay, Saph. I'm here and we're going to get you better."
Live, Love, Laugh

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:35 am
Pan says...

Ezzie | Jungle/Boar Enclosure

The stench of blood invaded my nostrils and I gagged. Despite my dreams of helping people, I still despised blood. Actually, it was more of the thought of the pain caused to spill the blood.

Still, I leaned against a tree as Elvis tried to fix Saph. I frowned as I noticed his eyes closed and his hands slightly shaking. Saph's eyes were squeezed shut and she didn't bother hiding her tears.

I sighed, and pushed myself off the tree. I had to remember when I put that case. Maybe there was a booklet on helpful herbs?

My eyes burned at the stink in the air and I frowned as I tried to remember where it went.

"Ezzie, what are you doing?" Somebody asked as I stood in the middle of the clearing, my eyes closed and my hands moving through the air.

"Shh, I'm concentrating." I whispered back, picturing myself standing with Elvis, and before that, my position shifting around the small clearing for a while, then finally, the cave.

My head snapped up to look at the tip of the mountain that barely loomed over the trees. "I'll be back in a little while." I said, glancing at Faith, who I considered to be more authoritative.

She stared at me quizzically. "Ezz-"

"I need to go get the kit." I cut her off. "There might be bandages and painkillers and I can handle it. I'll get there and get back, ASAP."

"Ezzie." This time it was Elvis who spoke, his eyes still clenched shut. "Please, be careful."

I nodded, then stepped over to him. "I promise, I will." I shyly mumbled, brushing his hair out of his face. Quickly, I kissed his forehead and turned on my heel, my face burning in embarrassment.

I glanced at Faith, who nodded, and Alex, who smiled at me. "Do you want me to go with you?"

"I can make it on my own, but thanks." I smiled, before waving a goodbye to the small group.

----

I stared at the small cavern as I felt the earth tremble. I noticed my kit and grabbed it as the earth shook again. A crack resonated through the cave, and I frowned. Bits of rock began falling around me, and I realized something.

My eyes widened as I ran toward the entrance of the cave, narrowly missing the large pieces of rock that crashed into the ground where I had just stood.

I couldn't stop there, however, and kept running as the mountain shook. I ran, even as the earthquakes stopped and I entered the forest. I didn't stop running until I was almost back at our little camp.

I slowed to a walk and regulated my breathing as I entered our area. All heads snapped up to me, and I waved sheepishly. "Got it."

"Ez..zie, are you okay?" Alex asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Why do you ask?" I blinked at him.

"You're kind of.. bleeding." I cocked my head.

"Hm. I don't feel anything." I mumbled, as I reached up to feel my forehead. My fingers met wetness, and I sighed. "I was in the cave when it started shaking."

"Ezra!" Elvis barked. "You were supposed to stay safe."

"It's just a small cut." Faith cut in, taking the box from my hands. "Still, you should sit down."

I pouted, but sat in a huff. "Sorry." I mumbled.

"It's okay, but luckily, we have a herbal remedy guide." Faith said after a moment. I smiled, and she led Alex into the woods to find herbs.

Hopefully, things were looking up for Saph.
I AM THE PAN.
BEWARE MY KITCHEN UTENSIL-Y GLORY!
Formerly 'PenAndSword'

67 Reviews

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:00 am
Ciblio says...

Damien | Jungle

They took over.

Which was fine with me...kind of.

I didn't exactly want to try and fix whatever was wrong with the girl, but it would've hurt to try.

But no. They have it handled so well. Because they're professionals.

I laughed at my sarcasm.

Sitting on the ground, still with the group, I picked at a piece of bark.

I wondered if we were ever going to get off of this island. Then again, I hoped we never got off. Because then I'd have to go home. Well, if a shabby apartment was a home, then that's what I'd be going home to.

I sighed, and looked over at the people huddled around the girl, Saph.

Oh, man. Was she seriously hurt that bad? Bummer.

My eyelids drooped, and I realized how tired I was. But once I closed my eyes, I had the sudden urge to open them again, and keep them open. You see, I had Insomnia. Which means that I can't sleep at night.

Well, some nights, for me.

It's like my insomnia was bipolar. Some nights I couldn't sleep, and the others I can fall asleep instantly. This was one of the nights that I couldn't sleep at all.

I wished I had my medicine.

The only reason I had medicine was because of my counselor.

She had asked me why there were bags under my eyes most of the time I came to see her. And I told her I couldn't sleep sometimes, so I would just lay on my bed and stare at the wall, or ceiling.

The counselor had to get the medicine herself, because Helen, my 'mom', told her that I was just looking for attention.

I hated Helen so much, but I would also die for her. I know she wouldn't do the same.

You see, I'm over affectionate, I'll admit that. And I get attached to people easily, even if they hate my guts.

It was weird. But I couldn't help it.

Like with Ezra. I loved her to death, she was my best friend, and I hated it when she talked to other guys. Because then she wasn't talking to me. It's not like I'm in love with her. She's like my sister. That would be disgusting if I was in love with her.

And she's been spending all this time with Alex, and that Elvis guy. She even kissed that Elvis guys forehead.

I really just hoped she wasn't 'falling' for either of them, cause that'd be weird. Well, kind of.

Actually, it'd just make me mad. But who cares if I'm mad? Not a damn soul.

I rubbed my face with the back of my hand, and blinked slowly.

I couldn't stand it. My eyes wouldn't stay open. But they wouldn't stay closed, either.

Giving up, I laid down on the soft ground, and forced myself to sleep.

previously:
GuyFieri

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:55 pm
Basil says...

Saph|Jungle

Pain. All I could feel was pain. My shoulder was screaming in a burning pain I’ve never felt before, not even when my best friend died. Not even when I’d fallen over in the river that time spearfishing. What I didn’t tell P.J. was that I actually had stabbed myself, but not with my spear. A stick had sliced open my leg. And though the wound had been shallow, it had hurt like hell. But nothing like this.
I grit my teeth as hands press into my shoulder. I hold back a scream, eyes squeezed shut. My whole body is tense, which probably isn’t helping whoever is trying to help me.
And then, through the haze of pain, I hear a voice. At first it’s a low drone, but soothing. Then I can make out words, and I recognise the speaker. Elvis. I now feel bad for all the snide thoughts I’d cast his way, because now he’s helping me.
“… It'll be okay, Saph. I'm here and we're going to get you better."
Elvis is speaking. And then more words, but another burst of pain explodes through my body, and a low scream that sounds a little more like a snarl, escapes my lips.
I think I’m lying down. I’m not sure. The pain has my head all fuzzy, and my perception all out of whack. With my free hand, probably covered in blood, I place it on the ground and try to push myself into a sitting position. The sudden movement makes my shoulder scream in pain again, and I fall back, this time letting out another ear-splitting scream.
“Saph, you idiot, don’t move!” I hear someone growl.
Through the pain and my gritted teeth, I manage to spit out, “Yeah, well you try being fuckin’ chased by boars. My shoulder fucking canes, so why don’t you shut you fu –”
“Saph, calm down,” Elvis cuts off my little speech. “And don’t move.”
I grit my teeth and open my eyes. Elvis is leaning right over me, his sandy blonde hair right in his grey eyes. I focus on the light grey irises, hoping for at least some reassurance.
But I get nothing. There is no emotion in Elvis’ eyes at all. He stares blankly at me, and alarm shoots through the pain. I try to sit up again, but Elvis pushes me down, a frown on his face, his eyes remaining blank.
“What the hell is wrong with your eyes?” I manage before letting out a hiss of pain.
Something manages to flicker in his eyes. Some sort of emotion. But it’s so brief and faint that I dismiss it as my imagination and wont for something in those eyes of his.
“I can’t really see,” he says quietly.
His hands on my wounded shoulder squeeze, and I let out another hiss of pain. The hiss deepens, and I let out a growl that scares even me. I try to move away from the pain, but Elvis, once again, stops me. This guy is stronger than he looks!
“And you’re all letting him do this?” I look around at those around me. “He can’t fucking see and you’re letting him touch my shoulder?” My voice has become shrill as I scream at everyone around me.
“Saph, will you shut your mouth and let me concentrate!” Elvis roars at me.
I let out a ‘meep’ and shrink down into the forest floor. Ezzie and Faith with a half disoriented Alex come back and hand things to Elvis. I close my eyes and turn my head away as Elvis starts working on my arm.
“Where’s P.J.?” I demand suddenly, eyes flying open.
I don’t get an answer. I don’t look over at anyone on my other side, in fear of catching a glimpse of my shoulder. But I can tell no one knows.
“I have no idea,” Faith finally says.
“No, of course not. No one fucking knows … argh!” I scream angrily. “Elvis, that hurt!”
“You don’t say,” he retorts just as angrily. “You think this is easy for me?”
“You can’t even see you idiot!” I scream at him.
“He’s helping you, Saph, which is more than you’ve done for him this whole time!” Ezzie snarls, and then everyone is silent.
I turn to look at her, making sure my eyes don’t roam down to my shoulder. She looks truly mad, but also guilty, because I’m in a lot of pain, and she clearly hates that. And seeing the look in her eyes …
“Oh … Elvis, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean what I said, I’s just that –”
“You’re in pain, I know,” Elvis cuts in impatiently, but I can tell he’s amazed by my sudden change in manner.
“Will you shut the fuck up and let me speak!” I snarl. “For crying out loud …” I trail off and scream. “Fuck you Elvis!”
“Where’s the heart-felt speech, Saph?” Elvis smiles at me, but it isn’t a snide smile.
“Go fuck yourself if you think I’m going to …” I trail off and hiss in pain. “Look, I’m truly sorry I was acting like a total bitch. I’m in pain. I’m not using that as an excuse though. You’re a nice guy, I’m sure, but I’m just a bitch by nature. Sorry, I think it’s genetic. Oh jeez, I’m rambling now, aren’t I?” I look at the others, who are smiling at me, shaking their heads.
“Saph, blame the pain,” Faith says firmly. “I’m amazed you actually can speak!”
“And if it’s distracting you from the pain, keep talking,” Elvis says, and then presses his hands harder onto my shoulder, and I scream again. “Hey, tell us a bit about yourself?”
I take a minute to collect myself. “Well … I was born in Australia, though you guys probably guessed that … Ah! Fucking hell, Elvis!” I cut off to snarl at him.
“Sorry … sorry, I … just keep talking,” he stammers. His skin has gone pale.
“Hey, I know! I remember something I watched on a comedy show! Or was it a DVD … anyway, one of my most favourite comedians, Dylan Moran. He’s Irish. I love the Irish accent, it’s so cool …” I pause, bracing myself for more pain. I hiss before continuing. “He’s talking about children. Now, none of you are allowed to take offence because he’s a comedian … and I’m in pain …”
“Saph, just get to the funny part,” Damien grumbles from somewhere to my … whichever side. I’m still not too sure where everything is.
“Umm … what are children? Midget drunks, that’s what they are. They greet you in the morning by kneeing you in the face. Talking jibberish!” I break off to let out another hiss, followed by a muttering of incoherent words that is me cursing Elvis again. “T-t-time for bed … time … bedtime now.” I manage a chuckle before yelling, “Nonono, no, nono, no!”
my random outburst manages to get some giggles.
“Get in the bath! No! Get out of the back! No! Do something that’s not mindless violence for five seconds, will you? Nnnnnno!”
“This Dylan Moron guy sounds funny,” Damien says, chuckling.
“Maybe it’s just how Saph says it,” Ezzie offers, giggling.
“It’s Dylan Moran, genius. And Ezzie, I’m quoting it exactly how he does it,” I giggle at the small round of laughter. Even Faith chuckles. Alex is grinning like an idiot, but has a confused look on his face.
“Alright, this should do it for a while,” Elvis says, and helps me to sit up. It’s a slow and painful process, but when I’m leaning against the tree, I smile at everyone, even if the smile is strained.
“Thank you so much guys. I’d probably be dead if it weren’t for you,” I say, looking at them all in turn.
Damien scoffs. “Yeah, not that I did much anyway,” he mutters.
I frown. “Damien, you found me. I’d be dead if you hadn’t,” I insist.
“Everyone heard the scream,” Faith adds, not helping at all.
“I think the whole island heard the scream,” Damien scoffs.
I find myself blushing despite the pain. “It wasn’t that loud … was it?” I ask.
“Saph?” A voice reaches my ears through the trees.
P.J. stumbles into view and, on seeing me, stops dead in his tracks. He stares at me in total astonishment, his wide gold eyes darting from my face to my shoulder – which I still haven’t dared look at yet.
“Saph, what happened?” He asks, hobbling over to me.
He drops down beside me and stares at my shoulder. His bottom lip trembles, and tears prick my eyes. I’m not sure when I’d stopped crying, but seeing P.J. stare at me like this is heart-breaking.
“It’s a … it’s a long story,” I finally manage.
P.J. lets out a small whimpering sound and continues to stare down at my shoulder. Slowly, he lowers himself so that he’s sitting next to me, staring at me the whole time.
“Hey Saph, do you need anything?” Ezzie asks.
I tear my eyes from P.J.’s and look at Ezzie. “Water maybe?” I think about it. “No food. No food though, and … hey, where’s Damien?” I look around, noticing my savour is gone.
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:12 pm
View Likes
TinyJarStoredDreams says...

P.J.

I heard screaming. My hair fell into my face as the wind blew right through the tree house carrying the horrible screeching sound with it. I hopped up to a standing position and adjusted my new foot onto my stump. I groaned as I wobbled over to the ladder and climbed down. I followed the sound of angry and pain filled arguments will I saw blood. I limped towards a small fire that had been made and saw the mess of black hair and blue eyes.

"Saph?" I said moving out from behind my hiding place.

As soon as I saw Saph, my heart stopped. I let my eyes rest on her bloody shoulder which looked much worse than what my foot looked like earlier in the night.

"Saph, what happened?" I asked moving over to her my heart breaking ever glance I take at her.

I sat down next to her and took her hand in mine as I tried as hard as I could not to cry. I knew I looked childish and small, but this was the worse feeling a person could ever feel.

"It's, a long story." Saph says a tear laying at her eye.

I look down at my lap shutting myself out from the world as Saph and Ezzie say something to each other. I know that everyone is probably looking at me, but I don't care. I mean the most important person in my life is standing at deaths gates. Saph slips her hand from mine as Elvis tinkers with her a bit more. I watch as his steady hands work away at her shoulder.

~~~~~

"Peej," Saph whispers maybe an hour later her hand resting on my knee.

I look up from my tear stained cheeks and into her blazing eyes. She smiles at me softly breaking my heart all over again. I let a piece of blond hair dip into my golden eyes as she pulls my head into her lap. I lay wrapping my arms around her knee.

"Don't ever leave me again." I say into my arm.

"I won't I promise," Saph replied brushing a hand through my hair.

I nod and sit up from her lap. I lean over and kiss her cheek moving a piece of hair off her face as I kiss her. I feel a smile move onto her lips as I move away.

I look up at the star lit sky finding constellations. I point a couple of the easy to find ones to Saph. Soon she fell asleep exhausted from trying to stay alive and I stay up. I find all the constellations I know before finally letting myself sleep.
How the hell are we suppose to look forward to the future if we aren't sure if we will be alive in the next 20 seconds?

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:30 pm
View Likes
fictionfanatic says...

Elvis | Jungle

I couldn't see Saph moving because my eyes were closed, so when she began to sit up I didn't take notice. It wasn't until she screamed directly in to my ear and someone yelled at her not to move that I opened my eyes. Seriously? Why would you even try to get up?

“Yeah, well you try being fuckin’ chased by boars." she spat vehemently, "My shoulder fucking canes, so why don’t you shut you fu –”

“Saph, calm down,” I cut her off - I needed to concentrate and her blood was churning my stomach, shifting to hove over her more so I would be able to see if she tried to move again, “And don’t move.”

Despite my instructions she tries to sit up again,so hands still clenching her wound shut I forced her back to the ground, frowning at her obstinance and the feeling of her blood covering my arms.

“What the hell is wrong with your eyes?” she says, sounding almost afraid of me, before a hiss of pain stopped anyone else from hearing that connotation in her voice.

Was she afraid of me? Did my eyes looked different...no one...no one had told me...no, I can't think about that now, I need to focus on her shoulder.

“I can’t really see,” I answer quietly so only she can hear, even though everyone else must know already.

My grip had loosened at the shock of her comment, which I only notice due to the increased smell of blood and copper. God fucking damn it, was this I blind thing? This was worse than it had ever been before!

I squeeze the wound tighter, both blocking the blood and steeling myself, and in return Saph gave a menacing growl and tried to move away. Giving my own low growl I brace her, keeping her from any movement at all - she did not want to get testy with me, I will always win that fight.

“And you’re all letting him do this?” she said, almost as if complaining more because I was winning in her struggle to move, “He can’t fucking see and you’re letting him touch my shoulder?” she ended with a scream going directly in to my ear.

“Saph, will you shut your mouth and let me concentrate!” I roar as loudly as I can without thinking to, resisting the urge to shake her, her constant put-downs aimed at me and my sight and indignant attitude even as I helped her bringing out the ferocity I was taught to have.

When she let out a small squeal I instantly felt bad but I would never tell her that. Christ, I'm sitting here literally saving her life as she shot insults at me and tried to make me go deaf with all her screaming!

I heard footsteps and prayed to God it was Ezzie with the kit. I felt like I was going to throw up. My loss of sight definitely increased my other senses, something people always tell you but you can never understand until it happens. The smell of her blood was burning my nose and I could feel her blood soaking my arms and hands, pooling around my fingers with every little movement she made.

I thanked God as Ezzie began to hand me things so I could fix Saph and be done with this - I was beginning to feel violently ill. I let go of the two sides of tissue and quickly felt inside her wound. She was lucky - there weren't any shards or splinters of wood in there. Faith and Ezzie had done a good job with the spears, at least. I cleaned it out as best as I could, my stomach churning and more than once biting down on my tongue to force myself not to get sick.

“Where’s P.J.?” Saph yelled, but I hardly cared to answer as a) I had no idea and b) I was a little preoccupied at the moment.

“I have no idea,” I heard Faith voice after a long moment of silence.

“No, of course not. No one fucking knows" she began to scream, her sudden burst of adrenaline and frustration pumping more blood. I was going to throw up. I was going to be violently ill. To steel myself I pinched at the wound again to stop the blood, in return earning an angry scream.

“Elvis, that hurt!” She shouted at me so angrily I could feel waves of it radiating off of her.

“You don’t say,” I snap angrily. This entitled little brat! “You think this is easy for me?”

“You can’t even see you idiot!” she screamed, the comment a slap in the face. I felt a shadow of darkness cross my face as I blocked any emotion from showing, but I really wanted to stop helping her and go nurse my own wounds that she's inflicted upon me.

“He’s helping you, Saph, which is more than you’ve done for him this whole time!” Ezzie snarls in a way that surprises even me, causing everyone to go silent.

I could hear Saph rustling around as if looking for someone, but didn't care much about who or why.

“Oh … Elvis, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean what I said, I’s just that –”

“You’re in pain, I know,” I cut her off, surprised at her sudden change in behavior but needing her to stop talking to me and rustling around so I could concentrate. But it all made sense now. Here I was angry with her for all of her snide comments and heartless jabs when really...she's just scared. The thought immediately diminished my soreness towards her.

“Will you shut the fuck up and let me speak!” she growled “For crying out loud…Fuck you Elvis!”

I couldn't help smile as I asked jokingly, “Where’s the heart-felt speech, Saph?”

“Go fuck yourself if you think I’m going to …” she trailed off into a hiss as I pulled on something. Okay, maybe I did that one on purpose, but honestly she deserved it.

“Look, I’m truly sorry I was acting like a total bitch. I’m in pain. I’m not using that as an excuse though. You’re a nice guy, I’m sure, but I’m just a bitch by nature. Sorry, I think it’s genetic. Oh jeez, I’m rambling now, aren’t I?” she rambles on. Wow, did she always talk this much?

“Saph, blame the pain,” Fait said with authority, “I’m amazed you actually can speak!”

“And if it’s distracting you from the pain, keep talking,” I suggest, pressing my hand in to her shoulder hard as I took the needle from Ezzie, earning yet another scream in my ear.

More to distract her from what I was about to do I suggested, “Hey, tell us a bit about yourself?”

She took a moment to think and I sat waiting, hand pressed in to her shoulder. I wasn't going to start until she began speaking and was distracted. If she knew I, the blind guy as she so eloquently puts it, was about to give her stitches she would throw a fit.

“Well … I was born in Australia, though you guys probably guessed that…" she began, in return getting pierced with the needle, "Ah! Fucking hell, Elvis!”

“Sorry … sorry, I … just keep talking,” I stutter, feeling all color drain from my skin. My palms were getting sweaty as well as my forehead - I was going to be sick, I couldn't hide it anymore. I just had to hurry and finish this.

“Hey, I know! I remember something I watched on a comedy show! Or was it a DVD … anyway, one of my most favourite comedians, Dylan Moran. He’s Irish. I love the Irish accent, it’s so cool …” she hissed as I began making stitches, the needle in my right hand as my left trailed around to make sure they were the right placements, and she continued, “He’s talking about children. Now, none of you are allowed to take offence because he’s a comedian … and I’m in pain …”

“Saph, just get to the funny part,” Damien grumbled, which I effectively ignored as I concentrated on her stitches and not throwing up.

“Umm … what are children? Midget drunks, that’s what they are. They greet you in the morning by kneeing you in the face. Talking jibberish!” she takes a break just to curse at me, which I barely even hear as my own blood is now pounding in my ears.

I blocked out everything, Saph's speaking and everyones low choruses of giggles dulled as I closed my eyes and swallowed a lump in my throat. Almost done. I only needed to last a little bit longer, and...

“Alright, this should do it for a while,” I say, trying to hide the fact that I was shaking, and helped Saph sit up against a tree. It takes a while and I swallow hard. Just one more minute Elvis, you can do it, just don't think about the fact that you're covered in her blood...God damn it, I thought about it.

“Thank you so much guys. I’d probably be dead if it weren’t for you,” she says gratefully, though I only nod in return as I try to focus on hiding my shaking and keeping myself from throwing up. But her blood...I can still smell it...it's on me, following me...

“Yeah, not that I did much anyway,” Damien muttered.

“Damien, you found me. I’d be dead if you hadn’t,” Saph insisted.

I don't know what happened next - everything was drowned out by my determination not to get ill. The next thing I knew PJ showed up, tears evident in his voice. I just needed to finish. I needed to finish then I could walk away and be done and wash the blood of my hands. My ears were numb as I concentrated on wrapping Saph's shoulder to keep out infection, my hands shaking as I tried to work quickly.

I couldn't do it, I was going to throw up. My stomach couldn't take it anymore. I tied the ends of the wrapping and stood quickly looking around. Holding my breath I began walking, not caring which direction. I had to get away, I couldn't let anyone know...

I felt my way around, waiting until I couldn't hear them and then some. I had no idea how far I'd gotten, all I knew was that I couldn't hear them so they couldn't hear me and my stomach couldn't take it anymore. Her blood was with me, the scent still following me, burning my nose with it's coppery scent and filling my mouth with a vile taste.

I doubled over, no longer able to take it anymore, and wretched. My stomach emptied itself of its contents and I broke out in to a cold sweat.

I wiped the sweat from my forehead, pushing my hair to the side, and wiped my mouth but instantly regretted it and began spitting. How could I fucking forget I had her blood on my hands!?

My stomach turned again and I again threw up. When I was through I crawled in search of a tree, of something...sweet baby jesus I found one. I wiped my hands on it in attempt to get some of the blood off and then locked my hands behind my neck with my forehead on the ground. Deep breathing Elvis, I instructed myself, taking in the smell of the Earth. I never thought I would love the smell of dirt so much - God it smelled good! I filled my lungs with air until they couldn't hold anymore, relishing in the scent of the Earth.

"Elvis!?" I heard someone call from not too far away.

Snapping my eyes open I sat up, darting my eyes over to the sound of the voice in search of its owner.

"Ezzie?" I asked, feeling heat rise in my cheeks. This is exactly what I tried to avoid.

The person kneeled in front of me and answered, "Yeah, it's me. I was going to the river to get Saph water...what...what's wrong, Elvis?"

My bottom lip trembled but I quickly stilled it, hoping she didn't see, and offered my hands for her to see instead.

"The blood..." tears stung my eyes, "I couldn't do it anymore...my sight...loosing it strengthened my smell...I...I..."

I was shaking and immediately mortified - I didn't want anyone to see me like this, especially not Ezra. I was supposed to be strong. I can't let her see me hurt anymore...

Instead I felt her thin arms wrap around me, stilling my shaking and emitting warmth and comfort. I wrapped my arms around her in turn, my arms nearly doubling around her small waist. She was so small I felt I could break her if I hugged her too tight, but banished the thoughts when tears began rolling from my eyes beyond my control.

I hugged her tightly to me, quickly placing three kisses on her neck in my thanks before I buried my face in it, the coolness of her skin against mine calming me.

"I can't do that again, Ezzie." I whispered against her skin, closing my eyes and holding her tighter, "I can't."
Live, Love, Laugh

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:31 pm
Pan says...

Ezzie | Jungle

"Hey Saph, do you need anything?" I asked, watching the girl closely.

"Water, maybe?" She started, "No food. No food, though. And.. hey, where's Damien?"

I looked around noticing that he was gone, but so was Elvis. The latter probably having gone to the river to wash Saph's blood off of him.

I shrugged at the girl and turned to find something to hold water in. I frowned and thought for a moment, finally deciding on a large leaf.

I then began my trek to the river. As I was nearing it, I heard vomiting. Immediately, I thought of Damien, then my thoughts drifted to Elvis.

"Elvis!?" I call as I round the corner. He sat with his forehead pressed to the ground.

He sat up, his grey eyes looking in my direction.

"Ezzie?" He asked, his face a little red.

I knelt down in front of him, "Yeah, it's me. I was going to the river to get Saph water...what...what's wrong, Elvis?" I struggled to get the words out, my mouth suddenly dry. There was blood on his forehead and all on his hands.

"The blood... I couldn't do it anymore...my sight...loosing it strengthened my smell...I...I..."

I understood. The stench was terrible. Blood was horrible. I wrapped my arms around him, in an attempt to comfort him.

After a moment, he hugged me back, pressing out bodies together. He pressed his lips to my neck. I blushed.

"Elvis.." I mumbled. He raised his head in response. "I.. I love you."

His face went red, and I felt blood rise further in mine. "I love you, too, Ezra."

I smiled, and pressed my lips to his. Slowly, the kiss ended, and realized that he still had Saph's blood on him. "Elvis, you need to get cleaned up."

He beamed at me, and I placed his bloody hand on mine. "I have to show you something."

I stared at him in confusion. "What..?"

"Just come into the water with me." He tugged my wrist. I led him to the river and we slowly walked into the cold water. I tried to stop as the water reached my waist, but Elvis tugged me further. "Ezzie-- when I'm underwater, I can see."

My eyes widened, and tears sprung to my eyes. "What?"

"I don't know how but please, come under with me so I can see you." He pleaded, as he began to sink underneath the surface. I followed, taking a deep breath before I met him at the bottom.

His image was distorted, and slightly blueish, but still, he smiled as he gazed at me. His mouth formed my name and a few air bubbles escaped. My eyes burned, and it was difficult to cry, but I swam toward him and hugged him. My lips met his and my eyes slid closed as we kissed.

The need for air burned my lungs, and I broke away, then swam to the surface. Somebody stood on the bank, watching me. I looked up, as Faith watched, amusement written on her face.

"Hi." I called, smiling.

"Hi." She replied. "Have you seen Elvis?"

I nodded, as he came up for air. "Who's here?"

"It's me, Faith." She replied. "You were taking too long to get Saph water, so I decided to. And I noticed that Dame and Elvis were gone."

I frowned. "Where did he get to?" I wondered aloud. "He'd usually let somebody know, so there would be no worry."

"I'm sure he's fine." Elvis replied.

I shrugged. "I'm going to go sit on the bank. You can clean yourself up and then we can go back."
I AM THE PAN.
BEWARE MY KITCHEN UTENSIL-Y GLORY!
Formerly 'PenAndSword'

67 Reviews

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:30 am
Ciblio says...

Damien | Jungle- Lost

A walk sounded nice.

A peaceful walk.

I stood up on one leg, using a close-by tree to help me balance myself.

Grabbing my nature-made crutches, I hobbled into the jungle, alone, while nobody was watching.

Yeah, I didn't have a weapon of any sort, but what does it matter? It's not like I'm gonna get attacked by a tiger, or anything.

After walking for about 17 minutes, I came across a small watering hole. Like, really small.

Sitting down next to it, I dipped my hands into the water, and brought the water to my face, washing the dirt and dried blood away. After inhaling, and exhaling deeply, I brought some water to my lips, and sipped.

I know people say that water doesn't have a taste, or a smell. But I could smell it. And it tasted wonderful.

I examined the watering hole. It was about as big as a twin sized bed, except kind of in a circular shape.

Deciding to explore more, I grabbed ahold of my 'crutches', and managed to stand, and get going again.

I knew I'd have to go back to the group later, but I didn't exactly know how to get back, so I just kept going.

"Not like they really care if I go back. It's no different when I'm there." I muttered out loud.

I'll admit the fact that I'm lost. But I was lost before I even got here, so what's the difference?

Shaking my head, I took a left, and found myself in a small clearing.

"Umm, I'll go...right."

Turning to my right, I saw a huge tree up ahead. It looked like an oak, but I wasn't sure. Too far away.

I didn't know what to do, because I was in the middle of nowhere.

Still better than being at home, though.

Suddenly, I felt really, really drowsy. So drowsy I could barely walk. Er, hobble.

I shook my head, and found a tree nearby. I basically collapsed onto the ground, and passed out immediately.

My eyes snapped open, and I was home. Laying in my bed, staring at the beat up wall.

I heard screaming. Coming from everywhere. I looked around, got up. The screaming was coming from nowhere.

"Hello?" I tried to say, but nothing came out.

What in the world?

I unlocked my bedroom door, and stumbled into the living room. It was a mess. I could see things throw everywhere.

"Mom? Helen?" I said, but still the same result. Nothing came out.

I put my hand to my neck, and cleared my throat.

Feeling around on the wall, I found the light switch, and flipped it on.

The light flicked, then came on.

And I saw red.

Everywhere.

Just red.

I rubbed my eyes, and looked up again, and saw Helen and a guy sitting on the couch. They were red.

I shook my head, and took a step closer. What..?

They started sinking into the torn up couch.

I felt warm liquid trickling down my cheeks. Lifting my hand up, I wiped it away, wondering why I was crying. I looked at the liquid on my hand. It was red.

Taken aback, I wiped my face again, and blood came off.

Everything started melting, and I couldn't take it. I fell to the floor, holding my head. I thought I heard myself screaming. But it wasn't me. My mouth was closed. I looked up, and saw Ezra melting away with the furniture and trash. She was screaming. It was a high pitched sound.

I tried saying her name, tried standing up, but I found my legs stuck to the ground, melting.

I couldn't do it.

Ezra.

Opening my mouth, I screamed. And screamed. And screamed. With all of my lungs.

I didn't stop. I just kept screaming.

I awoke. In a place I'd never seen. My crutches weren't around.

I was on my knees, screaming.

My lungs were raw.

My nails had dug into my head, causing blood to drip slowly.

Where was I?

I cringed, my bad leg being in the wrong position.

All I could hear was the blood pumping in my head, and my heart beating. It felt like it was trying to bust out of my chest.

Moving my legs to where they were laying in front of me, I wiped away the blood that was slithering down my forehead.

Everything hurt. And I had no idea where I was.

Perfect.

I laid on the ground, and cried.

Like I'd never before.

I was scared.

And I wasn't afraid to admit it.
Last edited by Ciblio on Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

previously:
GuyFieri

Doubt thou the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move. Doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love.
— "Hamlet," William Shakespeare