z

Young Writers Society

The Orphans

Reviews: 4
Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:03 pm
View Likes
thelostone says...

Lynnox

Cassie lead me to a little alcove and told me about her story. It was pretty sad, but
I guess everyone's is sad.

"Anyways, are you gonna tell me your story or what?"

"Right." I cleared my throat. "Uh I don't really remember much of my mom. She was never around. My dad was the best though. He came to all of our soccer games and made us dinner every night." My voice got higher, remembering all the happy times with my dad. "But then when he was on his way to work one day, he got hit. Bad. I got called down to the principal's office and they told us the news. Which meant we now were left with our mom. She's been an addict for as long as I can remember. I was always too scared to go into her room. Her needles and heroin were scattered all over the place. She would leave and be gone for days. So basically it was just me and Logan. I thought that if I threw away all of her drugs then maybe she would notice us again, but it didn't work. She was furious and hit us."

I pulled up the back of my shirt to show Cassie the faint scars from the belt.

"I guess she got caught one day and social workers dragged us here. We made it through three trains before he was sold. I've got to find him, Cassie. I can't go another year not knowing if he's okay.." I drifted off and we both sat in silence.

"But if you miss the auctions.." Cassie whispered.

"Yeah." I sucked in my cheeks. "I know."

I stood up and held my hand out towards Cassie. "acquaintances?"

"Acquaintances." She smiled and shook my outstretched hand. "Oh, and you might want to clean that up." She gestured to my lip. "It's bleeding again."

"And you might want to put something on your eye before it turns purple!" I chuckled and walked back towards the building. I pressed my hand to my lip and sure enough, it was bleeding.

When I got to the girls bunks, it was 7:53. Molly wasn't in bed. She was probably with Max. She'd have to get to bed before lights out at eight. I calmly sat down and waited for her on her bed.
maybe hell is just rewinding home movies

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:58 pm
Liv says...

Molly

My arms were snaked around Max's neck as he held me by my waist on his hip. He always said I was getting too big for it, but he always did it anyways.

Once we stepped foot in my room, I saw Lynnox sitting on my bed. Max walked over to stand in front of her, giving her a questioning look. I had no idea what they were doing, but Lynnox nodded her head and Max turned to smile at me.

"Do you want to sleep with Lynnox tonight, monkey?" He asked me.

I didn't hold back the grin that spread across my face, "You mean it? I can be her friend again?"

Max nodded, setting me down on my bed beside Lynnox. I crawled to the top and pushed the blanket down, snuggling into my pillow. Max lifted one side of the blanket over me, but left the other side down for Lynnox.

"I'll see you in the morning, monkey," He whispered, giving me a quick kiss goodnight, "I love you forever."

"I love you always always." I whispered back, giving him a quick hug then watching as he left the room and went to his. It was okay, though, because he had told me my bedtime story when we were in his room.

The lights turned out, like they always did every night at the same time, and I turned to lay my head on Lynnox and go to sleep, hoping the nightmares would stay away tonight.

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:35 pm
ForsakenAngel says...

Since no one else is going to post :P We might as well move things forward!

London

The night before the train was always a sleepless one for me. It seemed to be the same for some of the other girls as well, because as I looked around the little room, I saw some of them tossing and turning in bed. I refused to close my eyes, not because nightmares would rule my sleep. I didn't have nightmares, which was more than some of the other girls could say.

No, I didn't want to close my eyes because I didn't want this day to end. The train was always so unexpected, and things could go wrong at any moment. I just wanted this day to drag on for as long as possible. When I looked at the big clock on the wall, it was already close to midnight.

I wondered silently what Greyson had up his sleeve and if the others would put in any effort to get us all out of here. Would anyone even risk taking the chance of getting themselves killed to get away? Of course they would, because if they were anything like me, they would do anything it took to get out of here.

With a sigh, I rolled over in my cot and stared at the wall. When I rolled over a little while later, the sun was rising beyond the window and a sense of dread settled on me. In just a few hours, things were going to change for all of us. Yay.
Hakuna Matata <3
RIP to all my friends who didn’t make it.

Hop freight or get lost.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:57 am
thelostone says...

Lynnox

"Lynnox?" Molly whispered softly, cuddling closer to me.

"Yeah, baby doll?"

"What if we get sold tomorrow?"

I sighed and stared up at the dark ceiling. "We won't, Molly."

"But what if-" She sputtered.

I held my finger over her mouth. "Shh. We're not going to worry right now, okay? Let's try and sleep. Tomorrow's a big day."

I pulled her closer to me and tried to get some sleep, but before I knew it, sunshine was streaming in through the windows. Most of the girls were already up and getting ready so it didn't surprise me to see Max coming in.

I slowly wriggled out of bed, making sure not to wake Molly.

"Hey," I smiled softly.

He nodded and I took it as a good sign.

I desperately wanted things to go back to the way they were between us, because I needed him too. He made me feel safe, wanted sometimes even. No matter how hard I try to deny it, a piece of me-not sure how big the piece may be-hoped that somehow he might need me too.

He cleared his throat. "Is she still.."

"Sleeping? Yeah."

We sat in silence. I hid my face, sure that my cheeks were burning red.

"I'm gonna, uh, change." I mumbled. "I'll be right back."

I grabbed the fragile bag and hurried to the bathroom. Since it was fairly early, the line was short. With the few precious moments of privacy I had, I slipped on the soft blue day dress and braided my outgrown bangs back.

I emerged from the bathroom and rushed back to the room.

Molly was up and resting on Max's hip as he spun her around in circles. Her long dark hair flew everywhere as she giggled and squealed.

"Good morning, Molly." I laughed and walked towards them.

Max stopped twirling her abruptly.

"Morning, Lynnox!" Molly waved.

I turned towards Max. "Could you, uh.." I gestured towards my open back.

He set down Molly and swept my hair to the side. Goosebumps crawled up my arms at the touch of his hand. He fumbled a little at first, but gently pulled the zipper up my back.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:25 am
Liv says...

Max

I had woken up before the sun, just like I did every time the Train was to come. I gathered my things and went to the bathroom to get ready while everyone else was still asleep.

After stepping out of the shower and drying myself off I changed in to the outfit I had bought three trains ago. Black dress pants, white dress shirt, red tie, and a black sports coat. I dressed in the shirt and pants, but lay the coat and tie to the side for later. My hair had mostly dried by then, and I tried moving it to the left to cover my scar the best I could like I was always made to do for the Train.

By the time I was done people were starting to wake up so I went to get Molly.

I was spinning Molly around, her black dress flying outwards. I had dressed her to match me in her black dress and shoes, white tights, and red dress shirt beneath the dress, hoping that if people saw us matching they wouldn't split us up.

I stopped spinning when I heard Lynnox greet Molly, wearing her baby blue dress. She looked at me hesitantly, then turned to ask me to zip her dress. Placing Molly on her bed, I went over to Lynnox, moving her soft hair from her back. My hands were shaking slightly, so it took me a moment to get the zipper. I could see goosebumps form on her skin, and gentley pulled up the zipper to cover them.

"Thank you." She said softly.

Swallowing, I took my hands from her back and went to grab my tie.

Holding it out to her I said, "I've never been good with these."

She took the tie and began to tie it, all the while I looked down at her, watching as she tried to concentrate. When she was finished I shrugged on my coat and grabbed Molly, putting her on my hip. If I so much as looked at Lynnox the wrong way the orphanage would put it on my record and I'd be ruined. I couldn't - I had to have a good future for Molly. I had to.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:41 am
thelostone says...

Lynnox

Max held out his tie and said, "I've never been good with these."

Slightly shaking, I took it and carefully tied it around his neck. I felt his eyes watching me and my cheeks began to flush again.

Concentrate, Lynnox. It can't happen anyways. Maybe if things were different. Maybe if there weren't auctions in twenty-four hours. What if we didn't go, would we still be able to ignore whatever it is we have? And Molly? What would she think? What about the others? Maybe it's just me. Maybe he doesn't even think of me of anything more than his sister's bunk mate.

My head pounded with maybe's and what-if's.

I watched silently as Max pulled on his coat and tried to swallow my yearning.

"Do you want to come with us to check on the others?" Max asked, Molly resting happily on his hip.

"No, you two go ahead." I said softly. "Um, I'll catch up with you guys later. If not, save a spot for me on the train."

Molly waved goodbye to me and they headed out into the crowded hallway.

I groaned and dropped my head into my hands. I have to find Logan. Would Max and the others come along? If it meant they could avoid the auctions?

I kept replaying what just happened in my mind. How easily it would've been for one of us to cross that line and, and, nothing. Is there even something there? He had to feel it too. Maybe not. Maybe I've just been on my own for too long.

I closed my eyes and tried to forget everything, but all too soon the bell shrieked. The train was here.

Everyone rushed towards the back entrance, filing onto the train. Just like the food, it was first come first served. The first ones on the train got the car with the seats. The others stood and sat in the remaining empty boxcars.

Like always, I was pushed into an empty boxcar, but relief washed over me when Cassie, Teddy, Max, and Molly spotted me and waved me over. Where were London and Greyson? A small shiver of fear shot up my spine. What if something happened to them?

I shook that out of my mind and assured myself that they would be here soon.

"Hey." I said quietly, standing next to Teddy and across from Max.

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.
— Captain Jack Sparrow