z

Young Writers Society

Arranged Marriages (second try...) ~Restarted~

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Tue May 20, 2014 8:06 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Jackson

"Stop doing that." Aris said shyly, a pink blush rising on her cheeks as she turned her gaze from mine.

Giving her a cheeky grin in return, I rolled to lay flat on my back and look at the sky as I teased, "I can't promise you anything, but I will try."

"But as for your question," I sighed, linking my hands behind my head to form a headrest, "I don't know how good of an answer I can give you. I was never supposed to be king - you know that. I was never given the lessons or tutors or been told to sit in on the meetings until Tristan passed away. Mostly I guess I want to so I can make Tristan proud. Does that even make sense? I don't know. It's just...he was my older brother. I practically idolized him my entire life - but he had to be the serious, more responsible one while I got to have more fun. Hell, if he was still around he'd be the one engaged to you. But I guess...I just want to be a good person, a good king."

I squinted against the sun and turned to face her once more, catching her staring at me before she turned her face towards the ground.

"Aris..." I whispered, reaching a hand towards her and placing it gently on her cheek, "Look at me."

Her eyes came up to meet mine hesitantly and her cheek grew warm with a blush beneath my hand.

"I just want to look at you." I whispered in explanation, searching her eyes with mine.
Live, Love, Laugh

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Tue May 20, 2014 9:28 pm
Liv says...

August

I saw Saja's hesitation, her fingers fumbling around at her back trying to loosen the laces confining her, the barely there blush that colored her cheeks. I couldn't resist. I closed the distance between us in a few short strides, leaving my shirt behind on the ground.

"Saja..." I said softly, cupping her cheeks in both of my hands and tilting her head up towards me, "Let me?"

She nodded slightly, the pinkness of her blush deepening, and turned her back to me to give free access to the dress' laces. My fingers located the knot quickly, working nimbly to free her from her dress. As I loosened the laces her shoulders and part of her back grew more exposed to me, the tips of my fingers brushing against her silk skin, and I had to use everything I had to not take her right then and there.

Once free she shimmied out of her gown, exposing a short slip made of gauzy material, and she skittered for the water and waded in without another glance towards me. I felt a blush in my own cheeks now as I watched her dip her feet in the water, the thin slip drawing closer to her form. I should have felt shame, and nearly did, for not looking away and leaving her her privacy. But I was a man and I couldn't bring myself to tear my eyes away except to shed my britches, leaving me in only my under clothes, and walk in to the water beside Saja.

I felt a slight blush rise to my cheeks as I stood beside her - only the men I had been at war with had seen me this undressed, and never a woman. I stepped further in to the water, trying my hardest to not look at Saja for I didn't know what I would do, and dove completely under. The cool water was freezing against the fire of my skin, and I held my breath for a moment before coming up for air so that I could compose myself.

When I finally did come back up I stood, shook the water from my hair, and pushed the damp curls away from my face. It was then that I noticed Saja still standing in the spot that I'd left her in towards the more shallow end.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Wed May 21, 2014 9:07 pm
Bugslake says...

Aris

I had forgotten that Jackson's brother had died and I felt terrible for it. I blushed afaik and looked down. "Aris...look at me." Jackson's hand caressed my cheek. I looked up and was surprised to find him looking at me with such intensity. "I just want to look at you." He whispered.

Finally, the jealousy I had of my brother ceased. There was a spark there, it wouldn't be just a betrothed marriage. There could be a possibility that we could fall in love. I smiled at myself, the thought pleased me.

I caught myself looking at his lips and I'm sure the blush on my face deepened. I sighed trying to calm myself before Jackson noticed. I'm sure he saw he blush, but I don't believe he caught what I was looking at. I looked back into his silver eyes.

"I know your brother Tristan would be proud of you." I paused trying to keep my gaze away from his lips. "Do you have any questions for me?" I didn't know what to expect, I just hoped that it would be easy for me to answer.

There was a mischievous grin on Jackson's face when I got the courage to look at him again. "Do you want to kiss m?" I couldn't help, but face palm. He had noticed me looking at his lips and then completely trying to make up for by not looking at them. "Yes, I saw. Now are you going to answer my question?"

"I do very much want to kiss you, but I know it would be inappropriate to ask." I laid back onto the grass waiting for lighting to strike and kill me right then.

11 Reviews

Wed May 21, 2014 11:01 pm
Liv says...

Rosemary

"Your highness!" Someone called, bursting through the heavy wooden doors, "We have a messenger!"

Two Bryni guards marched up to us, leading an uneasy looking...

"Bruno!" I called, my face lighting up when I saw the familiar guard from back home, "What are you doing here?"

He directed a slight nod my way before approaching my father and leaning to whisper in his ear. I watched as my father's face fell, listening intently in hopes of finding out what was being said.

My father cleared his throat, blinking a few times in the way I had grown accustomed to knowing meant something tragic had taken place, and he said, "I'm...I'm afraid there's been an accident and we must return home for a few days to take care of it. Thank you kindly for your hospitality up until this point - we shall hopefully return soon, but at this moment I'm afraid we must leave immediately."

"Immediately?" I questioned, freezing up - Briac was still in the tomb! "Father, can't we-"

He shot me a look that shut my mouth quickly, knowing from that look that I'd probably get a hand across my face if I kept talking.

"Are you sure? Is there anything we can do?" The Bryni queen, her eyebrows furrowing.

"No, I'm afraid not." He responded simply, rising from his chair and my mother beside him.

"What is it, dear?" My mother asked, grasping his hand, and suddenly all eyes were on the two of them as we all awaited an answer.

"One of the mines...collapsed. 63 men are trapped with no way out, with possible injuries and little air."

"How did it collapse?" I questioned in a barely audible voice, fearing the answer.

"We don't know." He said quietly, sharing a look with my mother and I that only we understood - our people would blame Bryni without hesitation.

"Send out someone to find Jackson!" My mother said quickly to no one in particular, "We need to leave as soon as possible."

A panic filled me and I ran to my mother, leaning closely and begging, "Mother, but Briac-"

"Will have to wait. You're haven't married in to Bryni, yet, Rosemary - you have responsibilities to Harrow first. We're going home now."

84 Reviews

Thu May 22, 2014 2:08 am
fictionfanatic says...

Jackson

I leaned to the side, propping myself up on my arm and swinging my other one to the otger side of Aris' head. Hovering over her, I gave her a soft smile and whispered, "Just say the word and I will, Aris."

She opened her mouth to respond, but instead of her voice another one sounded from across the field.

"Prince Jackson!" A guard called, galloping over on a black mare, "Your family has requested you - there's been an accident in Harrow and you must return home immediately!"

While it felt great to be back in my normal clothes and heading home, I detested how is left Aris. I hadn't said a word to her after being summoned other than "I'll see you soon, love" and I had had several hours of journey to think about it. I was such an idiot! I should have kissed her when I had the chance. Then there was the faint but distracting sound of what I think was Rosemary weeping.

Finally nearing the Harrow boarder, however, I tried to forget everything. I was finally home.
Live, Love, Laugh

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Thu May 22, 2014 2:59 am
Shadowlight says...

Briac:

The halls of the catacombs were damp, a deep chill was in the air the deeper I ventured into the many winding twisting halls... the smell of death almost smothering me. I had left my father in the cavity specially made to accept his body years before his death, My own tomb would be in this place someday.... I shivered and held my torch higher, the very hairs on the back of my neck standing on end. I had heard stories of this place, how each heir was “tested” by the kings of old, how they sought to make sure only the fittest lead our people.

I knew what I had to do, find my way through this maze of the catacombs and find the heart of the mountain, then there in that place I was to spend my two days, trying to hear what my ancestors said. My torch was dying, and fear began to grip my heart- if it died now... how would I find my way out? I nursed it- trying to revive the flames but is slowly died.... was it the air? Was it too rank even for flames to burn? My lungs were on fire, clearly what little air was in these halls wasn't enough to support life for long. I kept up my pace, trying to move faster in the darkness- my brain recalling stories of princes who never made it out of this place, of those who when the tomb was opened on the end of the two days- were found to be utterly mad.... speaking of the “voices”.

What seemed like hours later I began to notice a light slowly growing ahead of me, and the air seemed lighter- pure. I broke into a run- my boots echoing hollowly on the smooth stone floor. Suddenly I was no longer in the hallway and my jaw nearly hit the floor. The hallway had ended abruptly in a cavern, a wide, enormous open space, and light flooded the space, I looked up and could see- hundreds of feet above me, a opening and daylight and the joyful fingers of the sun poured down, Ibreathed a sigh of relief, my fears seemed to vaish and I wandered into the hall, a lake stretched before me. It's waters lookig more like glass, so still were they. The walls were of pure white like snow, and sharp pinnacles of stone hung down like an upturned Forrest of spears.

“By Heaven's almighty Hand...” I breathed as I walked into the cavern more. I stooped and cupping my hand brought some of the water to my lips- it was sweet and pure, so I drank greedily, my throat having been dry as the old bones here.

I found a large rock and pulled myself up to sit- it jutted far out into the lake and it seemed the place to go- footprints in the soft sand all led to that place... I wondered if any of them had been my fathers when he had taken the throne so many years ago. I pulled my knees to my chest and closed my eyes- trying to clear my head, settle my aching heart

“Don't fear.”

I jumped as if struck and looked up- my eyed wide, had I dozed off? Was I dreaming or....or was this one of the “voices” that spoke....

“H-h-hello?” I stammered, there was a deep thrumming in the cavern, more of a feeling then a sound but my skin tingled all the same- I strained to hear, strained to see, “Hello?” I said again, looking around, a weight seemed to be placed on me. Rooting my to my seat- I gripped at the rocks as my heart threatened to burst in my chest.
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

Random avatar

Thu May 22, 2014 5:44 am
Bugslake says...

Aris

We had been so close to kissing, then it all disappeared as a guardsmen ran up to us telling us the terrible news of Harrow. Jackson had leapt up in an instant, I quickly followed not wanting to be left alone.

I followed Jackson to the main castle. I didn't want to show him how much it hurt to see him leave. He came into the courtyard, dressed in his own traditional clothes. They looked better on him than the regular birches and tunic. He walked easier in them and seemed to act more like a leader with them on.

I walked towards him, not wanting to say goodbye. I looked down at the ground, fighting the tears that threatened to fall as I awaited his departure. Hands bigger than mine gripped my chin softly, they gently forced me to look at their owner. Jackson's silver eyes looked just as sad as I felt. "I'll see you soon, love."

My heart slightly fluttered at the ending. It seemed to me like it was almost a promise and I desperately hoped that it would be fulfilled soon. It was that moment that I wished he had kissed me, but it never came.

Then, the moment was gone and I was left standing there. I went inside to my room and laid on my bed. Allowing the tears to stream down my cheeks. I longed for home, but the need to get my mind off of the pain of letting him go grew. I decided that I would go venturing and during the darkness of the night, I knew it would be dangerous.
Spoiler! :
wow @fictionfanatic, you totally threw me into a loop there.

42 Reviews

Mon May 26, 2014 12:10 pm
Shadowlight says...

Last edited by Shadowlight on Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:26 pm
Bugslake says...

Aris

I was stupid for wandering around outside at night. Here the darkness dominated the moon that gave off so little light. Fear caressed my heart as I tried to ring the reasoning behind this dangerous excursion. It was a loving attention.

I guess I believed that Jackson would soon forget about me, leaving me to be forever alone. All I had ever wanted as a girl was a husband that would treat me like I was his world. But, those are selfish thoughts.

Something nearby me snapped a branch, I looked at where the object could be. Yellow eyes glared out at me and I began to run. I was only making the hunt more fun for this predator, but then it became tired and it pinned me to the ground.

I cried out and yelled Jackson's name, it was an earnest cry as the creature began to slice me to ribbons. Then it went away, as if something scared it off. I began to black out as my rescuer picked me up. I tried to say something anything, but the only whisper I could manage was Jackson.
---------------------------

I woke up in the room that I had been staying in, there were bandages around my stomach and I vaguely remembered the night of how I got them. My brother and Saja sat together in the chair next to my bed asleep. I must've really scared them if they did that.

My actions had been so stupid and selfish, I didn't deserve a loving prince.

11 Reviews

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:26 am
Liv says...

Spoiler! :
I am soooooosososososososo sorry my loves, I'm probably the worst person ever for making you all wait so long. I wish that I could say that I haven't posted because I've been busy, but I really haven't been. Well, not extremely. I've even started my post a few times and simply given up. I'm going through one of those phases that all writers go through periodically - not necessarily depressed, but carrying that heavy feeling and being completely content with watching movies on Netflix while not being content at all. However, I've finally decided that it's time to snap out of it so here's my post!!

August

All sense of time is lost when you're waiting, creating a feeling that goes on forever yet seems to have passed so quickly once it's over and you're looking back on it. I was suddenly getting a taste of what I had put everyone through after my own attack, the only thought more unbearable being that my parents were going through it for a second time. It seemed that our family didn't have the best of luck here, and because of that I found myself thanking God that neither of us had been betrothed to a royal of Bryni. I can't tell you how many times I did that - I lost track after the third time I got up just to make sure Aris was still breathing - just as I couldn't even tell you how long I'd been at her bedside.

I barely even took notice of everything else going on in the world, however chaotic things were compared to my own situation. Something about the Harrow royals leaving, another thing about prince Briac and the catacombs, and still more about one thing or another. My mind was stuck on two things, the first being Aris' recovery and the second being the last things she said before falling in to this healing sleep - Jackson's name.

Gone were the days where she wailed for our mother when she was confined to her bed when ill, our loving sibling bickering, and our easy comfort at home and with our family. We were growing up. We were both getting married, soon to start our own families separate from the other.

I shifted a tired gaze over towards a sleeping Saja, my eyes long accustomed to the dark. Her chest rose and fell with each breath, her small frame swimming in the large chair she was settled in. She was my future bride. The future mother of my children. The beautiful, quiet girl with so much to say was the encompassment of my entire future.

Spoiler! :
And now I'll start on my post for Rosemary!

11 Reviews

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:57 am
Liv says...

Rosemary

"Lissy," I clicked my tongue, my brother's nurse looking up at me innocently while the servant she'd been talking to scurried off, "Gossiping again, are we? Come now, you know how everyone talks - especially in times of angst!"

Smoothing the folds of her skirt, she lifted her chin as if indignant but her eyes twinkled with child's play as she feigned, "Me? Gossip? I'm offended at the very accusation, princess!"

I couldn't help but laugh, an action so simple that still felt so foreign to me after these past few days. Lately it seemed my life contained every emotion thinkable, and yet laughter hadn't come up. I longed for Briac's soothing teasing that could make me laugh without giving it a second thought, longed to kiss or to feel or for heaven's sake to simply talk to him!

Shaking my head, I tried to shake the thoughts along with it. What use was it? Briac and I were no longer in the same country, and he may not even know that yet! How long was he supposed to stay in the tomb? Was it three days? Or had it been three days since the King died? Or both? Suddenly I couldn't remember anything!

"...didn't you hear?" I overheard a guard whispering to the other, pausing before turning the corner where they stood.

"Right in the middle of the ball, that's what I heard! The prince called him out in front of everyone!" He responded, and I found myself straining to overhear more.

In a hushed tone, the first said, "Well I heard that the bloody Bryni scoundrel owned up to it on his own simply to get a rise out of the prince so he could challenge him!"

What!? How in God's name...

"Knowing the Bryni he probably did! They can't contain themselves - they're disgusting creatures! Why, I wouldn't be surprised if that barbarian they call their prince had tainted our princess already, charmed her in to his bed and-"

I didn't get to hear the rest, as a third voice appeared, shouting, "What are you two doing here? Back to your posts!"

And, before I could discover who the two guards were, they were gone. Something had gone horribly horribly wrong in the line of communication...it seems I'd forgotten how strong the hate really was for some people.

Spoiler! :
Hope this is alright! @Shadowlight I figured it would kind of work as a build up for everything, ya know? xD Let me know if I should change anything! :D

42 Reviews

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:04 pm
Shadowlight says...

Briac:

"What do you mean she's GONE?!" My mother looked at me brows raised.

"Briac calm yourself. you just spent three days in the catacombs, you must eat." I strode about my room, pulling on clean clothes and raking my fingers through my hair distractedly.

"I'm not hungry."

"That's not a good thing my son...Please Bric I will tell you all I know if you come and eat." I looked up and felt guilty as I saw the worry etching lines in her face- she had so much to bare right now.

"Alright..." I sighed and followed her out of my chambers and down the hall- the men and women we passed bowing their heads and murmuring "majesty" to me- it felt so strange... I knew I was king but, I didn't feel much different, I still felt like myself in almost every way.

The smaller family dining room was brightly lit with candles and my sister rose as we entered, I almost laughed when she began to curtsie,

"Rayven don't." I stopped her, "I haven't changed. I'm still me. don't do that." she blushed and nodded,

"Alright Bri."

I was about to take my old place at the table when my mother cleared her throat and nodded at my fathers old chair, I felt a twist in my heart but I took the kings seat and picked at a scab on my elbow.

"You need to learn your place Briac." Her voice was gentle as she took her seat and motioned the servant to bring the food, "You are King of Bryni now, not it's prince."

"I know that Mama... it just..." I trailed off running a hand through my hair, she laid her own cool hand on my arm gently,

"I understand. Its a change you weren't re-"

"Where is Rosemary? Why did her family leave so soon? what happened?" I broke in, I had been counting on Rosemary being there when I came out of the catacombs, and realizing she wasn't there and not even at the palace had been a blow. I needed to know what happened.

"There was a emergency back in Harrow. something about a mine collapsing, they royal family felt they needed to go home."

"They couldn't have let Rosemary stay?"

"She isn't your wife yet Briac, she is Princess of Harrow first."

We ate in silence for a long time, my mind was whirling with a thousand emotions and thoughts all jumbled together. Rosie was gone, and I had this gnawing feeling, I realized suddenly I missed her, I missed her because she was such an important person to me... I loved her.

I knew I had loved her before but the realization now hit my like a ton of bricks- I Loved Rosemary and I needed her back, I needed her here with me, I needed her as my wife and queen.

I Quickly finished my meal and stood.

"How long does it take to get to Harrow? Four days ride?" My mothers eyes went wide,

"Briac! what on earth are you thinking?!" I faced her,

"I'm realizing for the first time I have to stop fearing everything in my life. To embrace what comes my way and fight for what I want. and I want Rosie. And I am going to get her." With that I turned on my heel and left the room- I needed to make preparations- I would leave before this day ended.

Random avatar

Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:09 pm
Bugslake says...

Spoiler! :
This will be really quick and I'm waiting on @fictionfanatic

Aris

I heard that Briac was heading out to the Harrow Kingdom. I had quickly composed a letter to Prince Jackson, but none of the servants would deliver it to the new King. I slowly got out of my bed and clothed myself. My brother August wasn't there to tell me how stupid it was for me to be out of bed, but my own wounds did.

I nearly crawled to the stables where Briac was getting his horse ready. I exhaustedly leaned against the door frame. King Briac turned, I nearly fell to the ground as I tried to curtsy, he caught me. Regaining my own feet I shoved Briac away.

"Aris, what are you doing out of bed?" He began to scold me.

"I need... I need you to give Jackson this letter." The exhaustion was beginning to affect me. "Please, Briac, I need this." I thought of the fact that my own family would go home after August and Saga got married.

Briac looked down at the parchment in his hand and then back up to my face. There was some sort of soft understanding that laid underneath the surface of his eyes. "I understand, now get back into your chambers and into bed before I harm you as well." I nodded and began the simple trek back to my chambers.

84 Reviews

Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:29 am
fictionfanatic says...

Spoiler! :
Oh my God, I am SO sorry you guys!!!!! Here is my post now!! I hope you don't mind that I've moved time up a few times. You know, gets quicker to Briac arriving in Harrow, Jackson getting the letter and returning to Aris, and whatever evil plan I know Liv and Shady are cooking up can play out xD So, at LONG last, Jackson!!

Jackson

"People really aren't taking the news of your sister's engagement very well." My father said, sounding like a mumble as his hands were clasped together in front of his mouth.

"They're just on edge, father. The mine is stressful enough, adding the marriage of their princess to the prince of their sworn enemy wasn't exactly going to make anything better."

"I just wish they could understand!" I sighed, running a hand through his gray-peppered beard, "The only reason for the match was to end the turmoil, yet they see it as if we have been swindled."

I took a breath, wondering whether he had heard the rumors spreading about Briac being the one to kill Tristan. I normally wouldn't call them rumors, seeing as it is true, but some of the stories arising were completely mad! It was completely odd to look in on what lunacy had been created by our centuries long warring with Bryni.

In all honesty, I was starting to fear for Rosemary. She was incredibly sweet and our people loved her, but some may rather see her die than be married off to a Bryni. And what of her once she is in Bryni permanently? I can't imagine everyone being too pleased over there, too.

"Well," my father chimed in, interrupting my thoughts and coming to a stand, "At least the mine is being sorted out. I suppose we will have to deal with the marriage situation after, when there is more time. If you'll excuse me, son, I'm going to go find where your mother went off to."

The moment he left the room I felt a chill creep up my spine. For the few days we had been home I'd felt uneasy whenever I was alone. There was something stirring about in the castle with a bad energy, and I was hoping we wouldn't have to discover what it was. But when I wasn't thinking about that I was thinking about dear Aris. How could I have been so stupid! I should have kissed her! And then leaving without a proper goodbye...what must she thing? We were still just getting to know each other for God's sake!

God, I don't know which was worse: being left alone with the bad energy in the castle or being left alone with only my thoughts that inevitably ran back to Aris.

Spoiler! :
I swear I will post more frequently from now on!!!! Cross my heart
Live, Love, Laugh

11 Reviews

Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:44 am
Liv says...

Rosemary

"Rosemary, darling?" I heard my mother call softly from the doorway. I made no move to turn, instead stared down at my drawing desk.

"Darling please come out of your room, we all miss you." She said, taking a few steps towards me, "You've been in here moping for days."

It was true. After hearing the horrid rumors being spread about Briac the first day we arrived I went to bed and hadn't taken a step out of my room since. I couldn't take the turmoil that built inside of me every time someone degraded my sweet Briac. How could they not see what I did? The cloud of war was so thick in their eyes that they couldn't even see how ridiculous some of these rumors truly were. I chose to keep to my room, but even from the quietude I found there I could still feel anger bubbling up within the castle, could practically hear the whispers of servants any guards exchanging ludicrous stories.

"They cleared some more of the mine today," I my mother said after a long silence, filling me in as she had been for the past few days, "They found some more men, too."

I didn't bother asking how many were found alive - each time I'd asked that number got smaller and smaller.

"Are you truly just going to sit in here throwing a temper tantrum until you see Briac again, hmm?" She demanded, frustration seeping through her every word, "You're acting like a child, Rosemary, not like a woman about to be married! I have half a mind to have your wedding pushed back until you can grow up! I told your father you were too young!"

That got my attention. I swiveled in my chair to face her, grasping the back so hard my knuckles turned white, "It has nothing to do with that, mother! Don't pretend that you don't hear the rumors running throughout the castle - I wouldn't be surprised if they'd made it through half the city already! I can't take hearing the man I love being talked about that way! I won't tolerate it!"

She put a hand to her temple and squeezed her eyes shut, a telltale sign that a migraine was building, "I'm sorry, Rosemary, I didn't mean it."

Rising from my chair, I walked quickly towards her and took her hands in mine, "I'm sorry for my behavior, I truly am. I don't mean to take my frustration out on you, it's just..." I felt my eyes begin to well with tears so I looked to the ground unblinking in hopes that no tears would fall, "I miss him so much. I didn't even get to say goodbye."

I want to do with you what spring does with the cherry trees.
— Pablo Neruda