z

Young Writers Society

Arranged Marriages (second try...) ~Restarted~

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:34 pm
Shadowlight says...

Briac

“Briac you're insane.... with all due respect majesty.” I looked back over my shoulder at my cousin Bard who rode just to my right and grinned at him,

“Oh? And why is that?” he rolled his eyes,

“Well lets see, you're newly crowned king for one- your needed at home. But more importantly your ridding into Harrow without an army at your back- only half a dozen guards- are you mad? Honestly now Cousin are you quite insane?” I chuckled at this and shrugged- urging my horse into a faster gate.

Truthfully I don't know Bard... I don't think I'm insane- but I've been told mad people rarely admit they are mad. But I do have arguments opposing your issues.”

“And what are those Milord?” One of the guards chimed in- my guards, all seven were in truth my best friends since boyhood. We had all grown up together and now they were my most trusted friends of all.

“Well, as for me leaving Bryni at this time- Bryni needs security and peace, so the faster I marry Princess Rosemary and strengthen peace, and the faster Bryni has an heir- the more secure our people will feel.” I looked at my cousin and he nodded glumly, “ And as for riding into Harrow with only a handful doesn't that seem wiser? Clearly we aren't a threat.”

“To harrow six of us IS a threat.” Thiry laughed- and we all joined in. True there was a long feude with Harrow- much blood having been spilled but for my peoples part we were weary and ready for peace.

“ Well yes that is true But hopefully Harrow will see this as a gesture of goodwill- I'm showing my trust in riding on their roads with only six men.”

This seemed to silcence any futher complaints, yet I could feel the tension in the group- I was nearly as keyed up as the rest... it felt wrong riding on a Harrowian road without pennants flying, war horns blowing and a army of thousands all ready for battle.... Just riding along peacefully was odd. Granted we had taken precautions- all of us wore cloaks that covered our fair hair, and we were trying to look just as inconspicuous as possible- at least until we reached the capitol city. Then I had full plans of riding through it, to claim my bride....

I smiled gently at this through, Oh Rosemary.... I hadn't gotten to say goodbye, I hadn't even known she was going.... I hope she was well. I wanted to write, but such skill as I had with a pen were rudimentary- like what a child of a bookish land might do.

“You thinking about her?” Bard asked, he was beside me now and grinning wickedly,

“What if I am?” He laughed,

“Honestly out of all the Bryni maidens who would have loved to be your wife or even allowed in your bed you go and are conquered by that little Harrowian Princess who looks like a wren. The goldfinches and songbirds of our kingdom not good enough for you?”

“No, because I don't want a songbird or a Goldfinch.. Rosie is perfect for me, in every way and in my eyes no woman is her match.” I looked over and met his eyes, “She's going to be my wife, and the anger between our kingdoms will stop...but more importantly... she makes me happy Bard. Rosie makes me happy, and I hadn't realized it before her but, I hadn't been happy for a long time.”

“Fair enough.”

“Milord- there is the capitol!” Thirry cried pointing, I looked up and saw Harrows major city in the blue haze of the distance. “We should make camp now My lord, if we start in the morning we should reach it by noon.” I nod in agreement,

“Aye, twilight is already starting- tomorrow we will finish the first leg of our journey.”
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:06 am
Liv says...

Rosemary

Stray hairs at the back of my neck were plastered to my skin because of the steam rising from the tub, the rest of my hair haphazardly pinned up so not to touch the water. It was the only thing I could think to do to calm myself and help me sleep - a steaming bath with rosemary oil, the one thing that always worked when I couldn't fall asleep as a child.

I opened my eyes to look out the window, the dark night sky still untouched by the morning sun. Sinking deeper in to the water, I wondered whether Briac was looking at the same night sky from his own room. I wondered when I would see him next, or at least hear from him. I hadn't the slightest clue of anything.

I relished the feeling of the warm water for a final few minutes before it started to grow cold, rising and leaving the warmth of the water only to be wrapped around the new warmth of my towel. I tentatively stepped out of the water and on to the ground, walking slowly from my bathroom to my bed chamber that adjoined and pulling on my night clothes. One marvelous difference from Bryni was that it wasn't cold - even the floor had a warmth to it!

Weaving my fingers through my hair, I started plaiting my hair as a drifted to the window to look outside once more. The sun was just beginning to peak up over the horizon, bringing with it shades of pinks and oranges you can only find in a desert sunrise. Closing off the end of the plait so that my hair would dry in small waves, a trick I hadn't done in years yet was so accustomed to doing after a nightly rosemary oil bath, and shuffled over to my bed.

The large bed was covered in a delicate silk a shade of dark blue, once so welcoming but suddenly it wasn't. It wasn't the bed I wanted to be in tonight. More than anything in the world I wanted simply to be with my darling Briac. To marry him and share his bed with him, feeling his presence beside me and his skin against mine. I would take a thousand chilled floors if I could have the warmth of his skin brushing against mine.

The scent of the rosemary oil still radiating from my own skin, I slipped in to bed and settled in for the night. Yet sleep still evaded me. I don't think I would be able to sleep until I saw with my own eyes that my dear Briac was alive and well.

42 Reviews

Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:48 pm
Shadowlight says...

Briac:

My blood fairly sang in my veins as we rode towards the capitol in the bright morning sunlight, the dew still glittering on the grass. None of us had slept much the night before, nerves, excitement, fear? The Holy One only knows what feelings were in our breasts. I knew they all wanted peace, that they wanted this union to happen but still, old prejudices die hard and we had suffered so much at Harrow's hands. Men killed, horses gone, whole villages on the borders burned beyond repair... I frowned deeply looking about the countryside- you could still see remnants of warfare even here in the heart of their kingdom- the barrows in feilds told the story. Thirty years ago before he was wed my father had led a vicious revenge attack and had made it to the cities very gates before being thrown back. My own mind flashed with memories of battled fought, friends dead... dark things.

"My king, when should we throw off the cloaks? Now?" Thirry asked quietly at my side- I looked over, black thoughts vanishing to make room for more present dangers.

"No, not yet... not until we are very close to the city, I don't want to be shot with crossbow bolts before I even step in the capitol." Under out cloaks we all wore our best martial pageantry. I in my red velvet tunic embossed with gold embroidered horses and the rest in various colors of their clans. my crown bumped against my thigh, tied up in a small leather bag, I would put that on, but not until it was necessary.

"I wish you would have worn the plate armor instead of just the chain mail shirt under your tunic- I know it's custom anyway to wear the mail but really Briac... you're gambling with death here." Bard broke into my thoughts.

"I know but this is about peace not war Bard.... I can't afford to make it look like this is a threat display, this is a gesture of goodwill and peace." I smiles, "Besides I'm sure these people want this union as much as ours do. it will stop the warfare and death." Bark shrugged and we all rode on in peace for well over an hour until the shadows of the city walls crept over us.

I tensed as we were swept up in the crowds of people entering the city- farmers with carts, traders with goods, so much wealth is boggled my mind for a moment before I shook sense back into myself. Looking back at my companions, I nodded slightly as I shed my cloak and grabbed my small golden circlet from its bag.

In this crowd I doubted we would be noticed right away- there were well over a hundred people around us. I placed the crown on my head and squared my shoulders, I heard a chuckle from Bard to my left.

"I"ll say this Briac, you have big bollocks... either that or being locked in the catacombs took all reason from you."

I smiled and stepped my horse up into a quicker walk as we entered the city itself.

Rosie, I'm here for you....

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:22 pm
Bugslake says...

Aris

Briac left, the entire castle turned into a frenzy of getting everything prepared for their return as well as battle. I couldn't help with the preparations, someone found out that I had been out of bed so they placed a guard to watch over me.

I felt like a prisoner in my own chambers. I wanted to go home, smell the ocean and take a nap in a hammock. The loneliness was driving me insane and I couldn't take being imprisoned in a room. Thoughts of my brother getting married to Saja entered my mind.

I was glad that August fell in love with Saja, they were perfect for each other. Other thoughts of what Jackson was doing entered my head. When that happened the longing for home increased.

I just hoped he would receive my letter.
Last edited by Bugslake on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

11 Reviews

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:56 pm
Liv says...

Spoiler! :
@Bugslake just a quick note - it's Saja, not Saga :3 Also, why are the Bryni preparing for a battle O.o

Spoiler! :
P.S I'm holding back on my August post so it's not a million things happening at once xD Just until we get through this next part!!

Rosemary

"Your highness!" Someone yelled, bursting through the doors and interrupting our morning meal. His eyes were wide and he was breathing heavily - he was one of the newer guards, and he looked like he'd just seen a ghost, "A thousand apologies for interrupting, but...a group of foreign men have breached our walls. Normally we would get rid of them, but..."

His gaze switched to me, lingering in hesitation and my ears perked up - he had my full attention. Dropping the silverware from my hand, I covered my mouth which was turning up in to a smile.

"It's Briac! Father..." I turned to him, eyes pleading. His expression erased my smile, his eyes revealing the one thing I should have thought of first.

A gasp catching in my throat, I jumped from my chair, "He'll be killed!! Father, you have to help him! Send out a guard or..."

"Rosie," Jackson whispered softly, his eyes looking up at me with such shame that I knew what he meant to say. If the prince of our country would go after Briac, a guard would certainly do the same. So many of our guards had lost family to Bryni...even our servants had, most of them having been taken in by us after they had been widowed or orphaned.

Looking around in a panic, I clutched my stomach to keep myself from turing ill. What were the odds that he would even make it to the castle!? He would have to make it through the entire city first, golden hair and fair skin setting off their position like a flare. Breathing heavily, I looked from my father to the guard that had just told us the news...and then I fled. I had to find him...to protect him! Yet in my fear I still felt a smile on my face - he came for me! I just had to make sure he got here in one piece! Even if he made it through the city he would never make it past the front gate without me

42 Reviews

Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:44 pm
Shadowlight says...

Briac:

"Bri...." My cousins voice was nervous, I looked over, worry etched in his blue eyes, "Bri what are we gonna do?"

We were hemmed in, inside the Harrowian city we were nearly helpless, and we had be noticed, people on the streets stared, whispered- I only imagined what they were saying, I forced a smile,

"It's alright Bard, relax. no ones tried to kill us yet..."

"Yet being the operative word here Bri..."

It was true, the hatred these people felt towards me and my companions was so thick you could cut it with a knife, they're eyes, I had never seen such malice before, it chilled my blood... this was in a new league from what my people felt. Yes we were angry, we didn't care for Harrow but if they left us alone we were content.... these people... they wanted us dead, right now- and if looks could kill I'd be a cold corpse.

Lightly I touched my heels to my horses sides- telling him to hit a faster walk, we were so close...

"Briac!" my head snapped up, Rosie! Wildly I looked about, and my heart nearly stopped, there, there running towards my with her hair flying about, looking for all the world like a rose colored butterfly was my Rosie... I felt a smile cross my face in spite of myself. I had forgotten everything, the crowds around me, my friends, everything except Rosie.
I leaped from my horse and caught her up in my arm- crushing her against me I buried my face in her hair- breathing in her sent. her tiny body fit so perfectly against me, her little arms struggled to hug me in just such a way that almosty hurt my heart is was so good.

"Oh Briac..." she murmured over and over again, I could hear the tears in her voice.

"Shh, it's alright, I'm here. I came to bring you home." I whispered softly, pressing a kiss to her brow.

"Briac look out!" THirry cried and at the same instant I heard the unmistakeable twang of a bow string, I whirled towards the sound, pushing Rosie behind me, and just in time too. for as I did so a cross bow bolt shot through the crowd towards me, I threw up my arm and the bolt struck.

I heard the sickening crunch of bone as the tip of the projectile went clean through my arm- sticking half in and half out of it, I bit back a cry of pain,

"Stay back," I barked at my companions, we didn't need a brawl starting now.

"Briac!" Rosie screamed, running to my side again, "Stop it! Don't kill him!" she threw her arms around me, trying to shield me.

"Rosie it's fine." I said, my voice sounding strange to my own ears, no stutter, no wavering, calm... just calm. I raised my voice slightly- addressing the crowd, "It is fine. If this is the last blood to be spilled in this feud I am honored I am allowed to be the one to bleed." My voice and eyes hardened. " But this is the last of the blood, know this now this is the LAST blood to be spilled in this stupid, fool-hearty feud between our kingdoms- too many men have died for something petty. I am weary, my people are weary of fighting you. Aren't you tired of sending your sons, brothers and fathers off to die?! Honestly what do you seek to gain from more bloodshed! let the dead lay where they have fallen, they have no use for our revenge anyway."

I raised my arm and with my teeth broke of the feathers of the bolt and pulled it from my arm- I was sure the bone were broken but I showed no pain on my face.

"I am Briac! King of the United Bryni tribes, I have no use for fighting your people any longer- I seek peace, I seek happiness and goodwill, I plan on marrying your princess. BUt, if any of you so much as tries anything like that again." My voice was acid as I raised my arm, "If any of you so much as try to take my only arm from me I will come down so hard on this kingdom it will be spoken of for thousands of years. I am the Wolf of the Itaku Tribe- don't you dare threaten me." I glared, daring any to make a move.

11 Reviews

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:07 am
Liv says...

Rosemary

I could almost hear the crowd's thoughts: Wives and daughters - silently begging their husbands and fathers not to make a move. Fathers and sons - challenge accepted.

I held on to Briac even tighter, if you can imagine, as if I could somehow protect him that way - as if I was some kind of shield that they couldn't break through, rather than the princess they would rather see dead than married to a Bryni man.

"Briac, please-" I started, about to beg him to step down and return home, with or without me, before he got hurt. That is, until the sound of camels came up on the road behind us.

Everyone turned and, upon realizing who it was, tried to make way for them to come down the street. They were all shocked, however, when they stopped right in front of us all.

"Father!" I yelled, suppressing my urge to run to him and ask him, seeing as it would mean leaving Briac unattended, "Jackson!"

I begged them, silently, to do something - pleaded for them to protect the man I was not only promised to in marriage, but the man I was in love with.

My father took one look at Briac's good arm, his sleeve now stained with blood, and his eyes grew dark.

"What is the meaning of this? Who did this?" He demanded, still perched on top of his camel.

The crowd of angry people was now silent, no one willing to point out the culprit. What for? A man of Bryni? They would sooner die themselves than hand over one of their own for a Bryni man. Suddenly it all made sense. This was the reason everything had been held in Bryni to begin with, rather than any place else. The people of Bryni were calm unless provoked - Jackson and I, royals of their sworn enemies, were able to go down their streets without more than a glare. Here, however, my darling Briac had been shot by someone who had probably never even seen him before and there was a crowd of angry people ready to hang him for no reason other than a war that has a beginning no one can even trace back.

"This is ludicrous," I whispered, as if the wind had suddenly been knocked out of me, then said louder for all to here, "You are ALL ludicrous! Out of your minds! You're so blind from this stupid blood feud that you can't even put your prejudices behind you! What could possibly merit your anger towards the Bryni more than mine and my family's, hmm? Because you lost family members? Because you lost a prince? Well Jackson and I lost our elder brother and half of the men in this anger-ridden city! My parents buried not only a son but the future heir to the throne! My brother had to sit idly by as his sister was sworn to marriage with his enemy! But I was never angry, and even your prince got passed it! The one who watched his brother die at the hands of a Bryni man! Do you not remember? My father gave his only daughter to a kingdom that had taken everything from him! What could you all possibly have to be more angry than we could be? We have all lost family and friends and neighbors to the hands of Bryni. But they have lost just as much to our own hands! You have all killed fathers and brothers and sons and uncles and husbands. Those men are no different than your own family that has been killed in the insane war! How much more is there to give when peace is being offered? How long can you hold hatred in your hearts without being consumed by it and going mad?"

I breathed heavily, my chest rising and falling quickly as I tried to even my breathing or to at least appear as if it was even. Inhaling a shaky breath, I looked up at the man I love - the man who offered me the world and then left his to come for me.

"I'm not mad," I said as a conclusion, reaching a hand to his face and tracing its lines, "Because I've fallen in love with this man, and soon...soon I will be his wife."

42 Reviews

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:33 am
Shadowlight says...

"I'm not mad," she said quietly, stroking my face as if speaking only to me, "Because I've fallen in love with this man, and soon...soon I will be his wife."

My mouth was dry, I heard the angry murmur of the crowd around us but I didn't care,

she loves me!

That was all that filled my mind, Rosie loved me... Rosie was willing to risk her peoples anger, hell her family's anger.... for me. I felt a swell of something in my breast, an urge deep within me, I cupped her face.

"I love you Rosemary.... you showed me even broken men have a chance to heal... have reasons to smile."

Her eyes were shinning, like two pools of water under a winter moon, soft silver. my arm snaked about her waist- I didn't care if it was broken, I needed to hold her, feel her little heartbeat flutter against my chest... I needed to tasted her honey sun-kissed lips.

"Briac?-" I didn't let her finish, I pressed my lips against hers, longing to taste the sunshine of her kisses again. I heard clearly the horrified gasp and grumbles around us but I didn't care- honestly I could die happy.

Rosie's little arms wound around my neck, pulling me closer and I willingly obliged, I would do anything for her....

"Briac.... her father looks ready to skin you." I heard my cousin whisper in our native tongue behind me, at this I pulled away and faced the stern old king, meeting his eyes, for once in my life I was the equal of a king, I wasn't a prince anymore- I was the Byni king, I needed to act as such, and Kings don't back down.

"My Lord, I-" He put his hand up.

"Let us have this conversation in the privacy of my study, in the palace? "

I saw his meaning in an instant, and nodded.

"Mount up." I said to my companions, "no sudden movements, easy does it." * gave Rosie another kiss, a fleeting one and grimacing as my arm screamed at me, I lifted her onto my horse before mounting up behind her- she was mine... she rode with me.

We fell in step behind the Harrowian King and his son on their.... God only knows what those horrible looking animals were, Camels was it? they looked like a dog and a sheep had an unholy union with a deer or something...

Rosie's hands were tightly fisted in my shirt as we rode up the main rode- everyone was tense, but Rosie looked afraid, I held her closer.

"It's alright Rosie, I won't let anyone harm you. nothings going to harm you, not when I'm around."

11 Reviews

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:59 am
Liv says...

Rosemary

Briac's arm wrapped around my waist, his eyes scanning my face with that hungry gleam I had grown accustomed to.

He leaned towards me in the way he had dozens of times before, but panic filled my entire body.

"Briac?-" I tried to say - it was completely wrong to publicly display affection in Harrow and simply wasn't done according to customs generations long. But he didn't let me finish, and the moment his familiar lips pressed against mine I fell in to him with an ease only two lovers could achieve. Forgetting everything, I reached my arms around his neck to draw him closer to me, to make our kiss more fervent.

Briac pulled back suddenly when one of his men whispered something in what I could only assume was their native language, meaning it was something they didn't want anyone else to hear. I followed his gaze to see me father, his face dark and his eyes seething, and a wave of shame rushed through my entire being. Not only had I just made such a display before the people of my country, but in front of my father as well!

"My Lord, I-" Briac tried to explain, only to be cut off by my father's raised hand.

"Let us have this conversation in the privacy of my study, in the palace?" My father suggested, though I couldn't figure out whether it was so he could get Briac away from the now even angrier townspeople or to get him alone so he could let out his anger away from the prying eyes of others.

"Mount up." Briac ordered his companions, "no sudden movements, easy does it."

He leaned down quickly, giving me a chaste kiss and then grabbing me by the waist and hoisting me on to his horse. He stepped up behind me, his chest laying along my back

"It's alright Rosie," Briac said, bringing my attention to the fact that I had stopped breathing, "I won't let anyone harm you. nothings going to harm you, not when I'm around."

I let out my breath as his horse trotted slowly behind my family's camels, coming up to the palace's gates which were promptly opened at the sight of my father.

"You've made this rather difficult with that little...display of yours, Rosemary." My father said, his eyes serious as he looked at me, "Our people...will not be happy in the least. And you know how word spreads."

I lifted my gaze to meet his, the two of us waiting as Briac's wound was dressed. I understood completely - our people would be infuriated. Not only was Briac taking their princess, but he was taking away the morals she had been raised with.

"I don't..." My father's brow creased as he tried to get out the next words, "I don't know how long you can be here and stay safe out in the towns, especially not with Briac around."

Tears stung my eyes, and I took a deep, shaky breath, "Father...this will always be my home, Harrow will always have my heart and my childhood. But Bryni...that's my new home. My home is with Briac now..."

His eyes shut tightly, a trick he often tried when he was suppressing tears. I watched as he tried, but a tear made its way out of his eye. Reaching out to him, I pressed my fingertips to his face to get rid of the tear.

"Father...Harrow will always be home first home, and you will always be my first love."

42 Reviews

Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:06 pm
Shadowlight says...

Briac

"You've got some nerve Cousin." Bard said leaning against the wall while my arm was bandaged. He spoke in our native language eying the healer suspiciously.

Truthfully the old woman knew her craft, but she wasn't going about it none too gently. I winced as she dug her cloth into the wound as she cleaned it.

"It was as much a show as for getting Rosemary to be honest." I replied- still in our native tongue, "I needed to show Harrow I'm not afraid, that I am willing to go into their heart, be at their mercy so to speak... Bard I want peace and- AHh!" I jerked my arm back as the old had poured some evil smelling liquid into the wound. "A pest upon you old woman!" I plunged my arm into her herbal water trying to clean it off,

"What is that?" Bard asked- coming over- eyes on the old woman, who for her part was backing towards the door," I stood.

"Stop, what did you just pour on my arm?" her eyes darted about the room and I felt a knot grow in my stomach. "Old Woman, what did you just put on my arm?" My voice was even, calm but harder then flint- the old woman fled out of the room. Bard started after her.

"Oi! Get back her you wrinkled witch!"

"Leave her Bard...." I caught up the bottle from which the woman had poured the stuff on my arm and smelled it- had a strong odor, strangely familiar...

Could it be?

I put a dab of the stuff on my finger and tasted- quickly spitting afterwards.

"Bard, could you please go get Rosemary and tell her to come here?"

"Why?"

"Because she has the antidote to the poison that old woman just dosed me with..."

11 Reviews

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:53 am
Liv says...

Rosemary

I combed my hair through Briac's golden hair, his head in my lap as he waited for the antidote to kick in. Pushing the hair loose from his ponytail away, I began tracing the lines of his face with the tip of my pointer finger.

"Rosemary," Jackson said, transitioning in to our native tongue and eying Briac's friends hovering near, "The guards stopped the woman who poisoned Briac, but we don't know what to-"

"Just wait." I said in our native tongue, noticing Briac's comrades listening carefully trying to make out our words, "Just wait until Briac and I leave, then let her go."

Jackson gave me an odd look, so I switched to the common language and explained, "I just need to keep him safe."

Leaning closely to his ear, so only he could hear, I whispered, "We're going home soon, Briac. I'm coming home."

His eyes snapped open the moment the words left my mouth, a grin spreading across his face. He reached up towards me and placed a kiss on my lips, which I quickly pulled away from.

"Briac..." I hinted, looking up at his friends who, for some reason, seemed completely unphased by this act.

42 Reviews

Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:03 pm
Shadowlight says...

Briac:

"Briac...." Roise murmured as she pulled away- glancing nervously about, I was confused... in the stables back home she seemed willing enough for me to kiss her.

"What's wrong Rosie?" I raised my arm- even though it hurt and brushed her cheek, She looked up at the others in the room and the most beautiful rose colored blush stole across her cheeks and down her neck, I grinned.

"Ah, I'm sorry Rosie, I forgot you Harrowians think it's impolite to show affection in public."

"She'll have to get over that." Bard laughed eyes dancing merrily, "She's going to be Bryni soon, and your wife." HE winked and I felt myself blush, I told him to shut up in our tongue an turned back to Rosie,

"How long till this medicine kicks in? The whole room is spinning?" her cool hands stroked my face, trailing the deep scars and lines,

"Just a little longer, close your eyes if it will make it easier to bare." I nodded, letting my eyes slip shut.

We all were silent for a long time, until Prince Jackson began speaking to Rosemary in their language,

"Rosie, I don't like it....you being sent so far away... and to Bryni."

"Jackson stop, I thought you had moved past that..."

"I Have! It's not that I hate him anymore, its just... You'll be so far away, and I doubt you'll be able to come home for visits very often, and be safe."

I opened my eyes and raised my head, looking at Jackson, and in their language cut into the conversation.

"That may be so, but I'll take care of her Jackson- you know I will.. and even if I am not Welcome in Harrow you will always have a place in Bryni- we do enjoy company." I laughed, "Really any excuse to throw a party." Rosie and Jaksons mouths hung slightly open, I raised a brow, "What?"

"You, you speak our Language?!" Jackson Cried eyes wide, I nodded,

"Aye."

"Briac you never told me!" Rosie said a half smile on her lips, "how did you learn?" it was Bards turn to cut in,

"Know Thine Enemy. Most Bryni can speak your language actually- but Bri is by far the most fluent, it comes from when he stayed here."

What?!" Jackson's eyes nearly started from his head, "When?!"

"Bard..." I said warningly, but my cousin only laughed and plowed on through,

" Lord Jackson did you Honestly think we in Byni haven't been keeping an eye on your kingdom? We often sent spies into Harrow to gather information, on your army, Royal family and anything really. you probably saw Briac a number of times- he did work in your stables for close to a year when he was a lad." He grinned wickedly. "He looked rather good with black hair- he tans too if you leave him outside too long."

I felt the blood rising in my cheeks as both Rosie and Jackson stared at me wide eyed.

"It was a long t-t-time ago... I was only S-seventeen at the time."

11 Reviews

Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:55 am
Liv says...

Rosemary

"Father, please!" I begged, hanging on to his arm as he lifted himself on top of his camel, "Please don't go again, there are plenty of young men who can fight!"

"Rosemary, enough!" He bellowed, drawing the attention of the stable boy standing near. Quieting his voice, he placed a gentle hand on my cheek, "I'm sorry darling, but you know that I must go lead them - we're planning an attack on Bryni, they need me. Please, enjoy the rest of your birthday, don't let this ruin it - I'll be home in a few weeks. I love you, darling. Enjoy your party tonight!"

With that he pulled his hand away and went off, making a promise of coming back that I knew he couldn't truly keep. Tears trickled down my cheeks, long after he was out of sight. Sniffling, I looked for my handkerchief only to realize that I hadn't brought one. Settling for the edge of my sleeve, I dabbed at the corners of my eyes and turned to return to my room.

A gasp slipped out of my mouth and my entire body jolted when I came face to chest with...the stable boy.

"Don't scare me like that!" I said, placing a hand over my now racing heart.

I looked up from his chest to his face, but he said nothing. Instead, he lifted his hand toward me. Glancing down at it, I saw a white handkerchief. I accepted it, wondering about the strange shade of brown his eyes were - I had never seen anyone here with such a color. But then, perhaps he was from the countryside rather than the city. I didn't know many from that side of the country.

Dabbing at my eyes with the handkerchief, I continued on my way inside muttering a polite, "Thank you."

Just before I passed through the threshold of the stable, I heard a nearly inaudible, "Happy birthday."

I turned quickly, but he had vanished. I nearly stepped back in to the stable to look for him, but the voice of my brother stopped me.

"Rosemary!" Tristan beckoned, bringing my attention away from the strange stable boy.

"Coming!" I called. I looked for the stable boy the next day, but he was gone. I never gave it another thought.

"My thirteenth birthday." I whispered, pulling myself from my memory and looking up at Briac, "I never saw you again after that."

His friends exchanged confused looks, and even Briac's brow furrowed. I watched him, knowing he would remember within -

His eyes sparked with recognition, and he tried to suppress his grin as he said, "Don't worry - I saw you."

I gave him a light smack on the arm, playful more than anything, and accused, "Why have you acted as if you have never known me!?"

"Well I may as well not have! I had last seen you when you were only thirteen! Your hair was short, and so was your height if you can even imagine that possible, and you were barely even a woman yet whereas now-"

Squinting my eyes, I looked closely at his face and said, "I knew there was something off about you. NO ONE in Harrow has your color eyes!"

He shrugged and explained simply, "Well, you were the only one who had ever gotten close enough to notice."

A sudden realization hit me, and I felt my entire body freeze. How we could never manage a surprise attack on Bryni, how they seemed to be one step ahead of us. Not only that, but how I constantly felt as if I was being watched, how I had trouble sleeping, how Briac knew about Tristan's tainted blade. They weren't just in our country or our city, they were in our home.

"You could have killed us all." I whispered, suddenly feeling as if the wind had been knocked out of me. Bryni men were meters away from our beds at night while we assumed we were sleeping safely. They could have been rid of the entire royal family.

Turning towards not just Briac but all of his friends, I questioned in a whisper, "Why didn't you?"

42 Reviews

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:18 pm
Shadowlight says...

"Why didn't you?" Her words were almost a whisper but they stung as if she had shouted them.... I saw anger flash across the faces of each off my companions and I sat up- pulling away from Rosie and looking her squarely in the eye- even though my blood pounded in my temples and felt as if something was trying to split my head open with a pickaxe

"...Why-why didn't I?" I felt rather then heard the anger in my voice as I tried to control it, "Why didn't I?"

She seemed to realize she had said something amiss- for she reached to touch my hand- but I pulled it back and stood- reeling as I did so but catching the wall to steady myself.

How could she think so? did she.... even now... even my sweet Rosie think my people as barbaric as that? did she still think me some simple minded dolt who was no better then the dogs who fraught on the floor of the great hall for scraps?!

My chest was heaving with my suppressed anger and I turned away looking fixedly out the window.

"Briac?" I felt Rosie's tiny hand slip into mind- I could hear the tears in her voice as I turned to face her- she was looking up at me, tears in her eyes, her skin pale. "Briac I...."

I sighed heavily and leaned my forehead against hers.

"It's alright Rosie" I pressed my lips to her brow, "Everything is alright."

"But what's upset you?"

"I'll tell you some other time."

If you have a Kuzco in your life and they don't turn into a llama, bail.
— Alan SeaWright