Young Writers Society

The 13th Hunger Games---Starting

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:06 am
ShootingStars says...

The Thirteenth Hunger Games:
May the odds be ever in your favor...
Have you ever wondered what the Hunger Games were like before Peeta and Katniss entered the arena? You're about to find out.

In this storybook, you are going to experience the emotions, the trials, the difficulties, the fights, and yes, the deaths that all arise when you become a tribute during the thirteenth Hunger Games. You don't need to know very much about this topic, but a little knowledge is preferable. If you're new to Suzanne Collins' book, The Hunger Games, click below. If not, then skip the spoiler and keep on reading.
Spoiler! :
The Hunger Games: In the book, North America as we know it has been destroyed and is divided into thirteen districts, ruled by an oppressive government located at the shining, rich Capitol. After the Districts lost in a rebellion against the government, the Capitol destroyed District 13, before deciding they needed a way to keep the other Districts even more in line. They wanted something to prevent another war.Thus, the Hunger Games were created.
This is how it works: A boy and a girl from each district are randomly drawn to be a part of the Games. This event pits children ranging from ages twelve to eighteen against each other in a fight to the death in a giant, treacherous arena filled with weapons to aid you to kill your opponents. The arena can range from a freezing, vast tundra to a mountainous, forested maze. Did I mention everything is televised and highly publicized all over the country? So that means every moment of gory violence is shown nation-wide. You can see how that can terrorize families, and force fear into the people of the Districts.
There's also the fact that only one of the twenty four kids can win, by surviving the arena and the other tributes. The only rule in the Games is to stay alive.
If you have any questions, please PM me.

The storybook will pick up at the very beginning of the Hunger Games, at the starting plates in the arena. This has no set plot, but remember I am the Head Gamemaker. The only things to keep in mind are:
    There is only one victor in the end of the storybook, unless everyone escapes...
    There will be twenty-four tributes, but we don't have to fill up all the slots,
    You can't be invincible and have no flaws, or else it won't be as fun! :D
    No bad language, please,
    You can have up to three characters,
    Keep the violence level at a medium. I know the Games are a gory concept.
    IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME! *cough*
    Remember your character is still basically a kid,
    Keep in mind your District's history,
    Make your writing in third person, so no "I", "me", etc.
    Please ask for permission before killing another character...
    HAVE FUN!
If you think I may be missing something, or you disagree with anything I'm saying, please PM me.
Slots:
Spoiler! :
District 1 Girl. (Boy taken by Justagirl

District 2 Boy and Girl

District 3 B and G

District 4 B (Girl taken by Dragonette)

District 5 B (Girl taken by UpAndOut)

District 6 B and G

District 7 (Boy taken by Dragonette, Girl taken by Justagirl)

District 8 (Boy taken by Sunwater , Girl taken by Starrgazer)

District 9 (Boy taken by Skyedragon, Girl reserved)

District 10 (Boy reserved by fictionfanatic, Girl taken by Jaden G.)

District 11 (Girl taken by ShootingStars, Boy taken by JustToby

District 12 (Boy taken by [b]VampireSenshi
, Girl taken by Brooklyn Writer)

Mentor for District of choice (If mentor, you control the gifts that your tributes receive, the sponsors, and everything behind the scenes. You are an important part of the Games, but you're not exactly in them.)

Info on the 12 Districts:
Spoiler! :
Don't know what District to be in? Just need more information about a certain District's specialty ? Look no further.
District 1- Luxury items for the Capitol

District 2- Masonry

District 3- Technology

District 4- Fishing

District 5- Power

District 6- Transportation

District 7- Lumber

District 8- Textiles

District 9- Grain, food processing

District 10- Livestock

District 11- Agriculture

District 12- Coal Mining

Do you have any other questions about the Districts?

[b]Character Set-up:
Name:
District Number: (if a mentor, put your tribute's district here)
Which one? Tribute or Mentor:
Personality:

Abilities: (remember, the Hunger Games aren't just about the fighting, but also about outwitting your opponent and winning over the crowd)
Strengths/ Weaknesses:
Background Story:
(optional)
Up for Love:
(Only if Tribute) Tribute's Symbol:
Other:

Anyone interested in this idea is warmly welcome to join. No post is a bad post, but keep in mind the info on your profile and correct grammar and punctuation. If you have any suggestions to make this SB better, don't be afraid to let me know! :D To start, we'll have to get about eight characters at the least. Once this SB does begin, I'll notify you! Have fun with it and may the odds be ever in your favor!
---Shooting Stars
Last edited by ShootingStars on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:53 am, edited 9 times in total.
When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are. Anything your heart desires will come to you. -Jiminy Cricket

Don't be afraid to jump, to leap, to fly too far and don't be scared to touch the stars!

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:20 am
TheClosetKidnapper says...

I'll join! *reserves spot for a district 5 girl* I'll post a profile in a few
I'm never what I like
I'm double sided
And I just can't hide
I kind of like it
When I make you cry
'Cause I'm twisted up, twisted up
Inside

Semiautomatic
twenty one pilots

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:24 am
VampireSenshi says...

I love the hunger games!!! I'll take a spot!

Name: Ryder Matts
District: 12
Which one? Tribute or Mentor: Tribute
Appearance/ Picture: Ryder is a character i like to use a lot because he is very universal, he is tall, he has black hair. And he has crazy blue eyes
Spoiler! :

Personality: He's kind of quiet, and he's very smart.
Abilities: Ryder is good with traps and is quick to get into the mind of his prey. he's built up skill with the bow and many basic hunting tools. He knows how to survive in the woods.
Strengths/ Weaknesses: He's a good hunter, and he likes to get into the minds of his prey. He's not very trusting though, but he's dependable if he gets up the mind to trust someone.
Background Story: He's used to hunting ever since his mother died and his father was killed in a coal mine accident. Ever since then he's been providing for his little Brother (Haymitch) and his Sister (Lilia)
Up for Love: sure, why not
Other: His tribute symbol is a key that he wears around his neck.
Last edited by VampireSenshi on Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
<YWS>
<NE1>

NIGHT is always watching...

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:45 am
fictionfanatic says...

Can I reserve a male from district...10 I guess.
Live, Love, Laugh

30 Reviews

Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:11 pm
Dragonette says...

I'll take a guy from 7 and a girl from 4 :)
I'm a JESUS FREAK! (but you can call me a 'Jeek' if you want :D

Why is a raven like a writing desk?

You aren't an official writer unless you're at least slightly mad.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:23 pm
Jaden G. says...

This sounds fun, especially with the movie coming soon!

Name: Des Hailshem
District Number: 10
Tribute
Appearance/ Picture: Shoulder length brunette and hazel eyes. 5'4", dark skin.
Personality: Rather shy and prefers to be in an open, secluded area instead of a crowd.
Abilities: Knows how to kill with little pain, is strong from years of dealing with animals, can use a staff, and recognize eatible plants. Decently good at tracking.
Strengths/ Weaknesses: Shyness doesn't apeal well to the audience, is very clumsy and is unskilled with a majority of weapons, compassionate, and has a weak stomach.
Background Story: To be revealed if interested.
Up for Love: Yes
Tribute's Symbol: A hawk feather in her hair
Spoiler! :
Last edited by Jaden G. on Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Oh please don't tell me you're archaeologists."

"Do you have a problem with archaeologists?"

"I'm a time traveler. I laugh at archaeologists."

~Doctor Who

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:45 am
TheClosetKidnapper says...

Name: Rayda Mclane
District Number: 5
Appearance/ Picture: Dirty blonde hair usually tied back in a braid, pale blue eyes, 5'3, tan skin.
Personality: Not shy but not outgoing, brave, willing to do anything for her family.
Abilities: (remember, the Hunger Games aren't just about the fighting, but also about outwitting your opponent and winning over the crowd) Strategic, strong for a girl, fast.
Strengths: Strong, brave, fast, good thinker.
Weaknesses: Overthinks sometimes, bad timing with situations.
Background Story: (optional) To be revealed later...
Up for Love: Yes.
Tribute's Symbol: A plain, steel ring she wears on her right hand.
I'm never what I like
I'm double sided
And I just can't hide
I kind of like it
When I make you cry
'Cause I'm twisted up, twisted up
Inside

Semiautomatic
twenty one pilots

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:33 am
View Likes
Justagirl says...

Spoiler! :
PM me if there's anything I need to change ;)

Name: Malaya Shearvine

District Number: 7 - Lumber

Tribute or Mentor: Tribute

Appearance/ Picture:
Spoiler! :
Malaya is short and has almost-shoulder-length, chopped, blond hair with bangs and huge light blue eyes. She has pale skin, big, strong, and scarred hands, and very strong arms. She has a sweet smile.

Personality: Malaya is timid and shy, she doesn't talk much, and doesn't like to talk, she'll always think about what she's going to say before she says it, and can lie like there's no tomorrow. She doesn't feel care for many people, as her younger brother was killed in front of her in an accident when she was just eight, so she can obviously take blood and death, too.

Abilities: She has deadly aim and a sweet smile. Nobody can really tell from the outside that she could be a bit of a contender in the Games.

Strengths/Weaknesses:
STRENGTHS: Since she has been cutting down trees her whole life, she has amazing aim, very strong arms, and lots of experience with wood. She has a sweet, innocent smile, and can lie extremely well. Usually very aware, because of her brother's accident. She is also pretty agile, as comes with years of walking through sticks and branches that can trip her.
WEAKNESSES: She has constant back aches, as she is always bending over when picking up wood and never picked things up the right way. When she isn't smiling she looks borderline blank, and she doesn't have very strong ankles, though her quads are pretty muscular.

Background Story: She lived with her father and mother, and up until she was eight, her younger brother, Xander. Her father beat her, as he drinks a lot, and her mother and he beat Xander, too. This gives her a slight mistrust of men/boys. When she was eight, a tree that her mother felled hit Xander, who had been picking up sticks underneath it. He died on the spot and Malaya took up a silence against her mother which she has not broken to this day. She had one friend, a girl named Belle, who had just recently befriended her when she got selected for the Games. So, really, she doesn't have anything to lose.

Up for Love: If you can get past her almost-unbreakable shell of mistrust, sure.

Tribute's Symbol: A thin, metal chain bracelet with leaf charms hanging from it. It was given to her on her 6th birthday by her mother and is her only reminder of her family.

Other: N/A

Name: Bronze Synclas

District Number: 1 - Capitol's Luxuries/Diamond Mining

Tribute or Mentor: Tribute

Appearance/Picture:
Spoiler! :
Bronze is a Career, therefore he's gorgeous. He has tanned skin and thick, dark, curly hair. His left ear is pierced and he has a tattoo on his right wrist that is barbed wire.
Spoiler! :
He's tall and well muscled and has big hands with slender, quick fingers.

Personality: Bronze has been taught his whole life to be cool, collected, and unattached, so that's what he is. He likes to unnerve his female competitors by letting his eyes slide down and back up their bodies and then smirking. He smiles in the face of danger and is always looking for a thrill and/or rush of adrenaline, which has caused him to cut himself, but only in places that people wouldn't see, like the very tops of his shoulders. Bronze is also very stubborn, and will pretty much totally ignore anyone's ideas on how to do things. This causes him to learn a few things the hard way, but he's so bull-headed he doesn't care.

Abilities: Bronze has a gorgeous smile and looks marvelous, appealing to most women in The Capitol. He can throw and set snares well, but his biggest strength is in sword fighting.

Strengths/Weaknesses:
STRENGTHS: Sword fighting, snares, javelin, has a cool head and keeps calm and collected in most situations. He also understands felines and canines pretty well, as his sisters have had many cats and dogs.
WEAKNESSES: When things are close up to his face, they're a bit blurry. Not good at trusting people to make up teams. He doesn't always sleep well. He often won't listen to other people's plans (and won't participate in them either) because he doesn't believe they're as good as his own.

Background Story: Bronze came from a rich family in District 1 and has pretty much been being trained all his life to participate in the Games. He has two sisters, Precious and Velvet, who are older than him and were never chosen to go into the Games. So, they're excited for him, as are his parents.

Up for Love: Yup, but it'll be hard.

Tribute's Symbol: A thick, gold arm band on his left arm.

Other: N/A
Last edited by Justagirl on Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:22 am
SirTobes says...

I'll take a boy from 11, I only want one...And I'll post my profile later.
There is no such thing as a stranger. Only friends we haven't met yet.

Previously Just Toby

30 Reviews

Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:23 am
Dragonette says...

Here's my girl's profile :)

Name: Nya (Ni-ah)
District Number: 4, fishing
Tribute
Appearance/ Picture: In a word: perfect. Luminous blue eyes, perfect figure, blond hair, flawless skin, and highly-bred eyebrows. She's beautiful, and she knows it.
Spoiler! :

Personality: She's a bit ignorant, selfish, and prideful, and also very stubborn, but actually, these characteristics will help her stay alive. She has a very strong will, and believes that beauty triumphs over all else.
She's not snotty, but she silently dubs herself more important then everyone else.
Abilities: The "card" that she uses is her beauty. But as for weapons, the only thing she knows how to use is a knife, and even that knowledge is limited. She knows how to use one because, as a fisher, she skinned and cleaned a lot of fish. And she also an immensely strong swimmer.
Strengths/ Weaknesses: (aren't abilities and strengths the same thing??)
As I said before, she's a very strong swimmer and therefor in really good shape. She can also hold her breath underwater for a really long time. As for weaknesses, she doesn't know anything about the woods and she isn't the most intimidating person but don't let looks fool you ;)
Background Story: She's an only child of a fairly well-to-do family. ...Nothing much else worth mentioning.
Up for Love: Mmmm, well probably not, considering the fact that it's the hunger games. Although she'll probably flirt with a few guys.
Tribute's Symbol: A shark tooth that she hangs around her neck.
Other: Her secret is that she's actually scared for her life, she's really freaked out about the games, but no one knows it because she hides it so well.
Last edited by Dragonette on Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a JESUS FREAK! (but you can call me a 'Jeek' if you want :D

Why is a raven like a writing desk?

You aren't an official writer unless you're at least slightly mad.

14 Reviews

Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:39 am
SirTobes says...

Name: Edur (E-Door) Stravojok
District Number: 11
Appearance/ Picture: Edur is quite tall, and he has very short blonde hair that sticks up at the front slightly. He has an oval face and a big chin. He never smiles, and his nose is perfect. His eyes are amazingly light blue and they twinkle when he is sad. He wears a black leather jacket all the time with a black shirt underneath.
Personality: Edur is very shy, and doesn't talk, but he's in it to win it and shows no mercy. He thinks of the Hunger Games as an opportunity to become a man, and is very confident. He is not interested in any form of alliance whatsoever but when he kills, he does it quickly, to not give to much pain to the victim.
Abilities: He is handy with a knife, especially at throwing them from a distance and is great at setting traps, much like Gale.
Strengths/ Weaknesses: Strengths: Throwing, running, setting traps. Weaknesses: Bow and arrow, camoflage, quietness.
Background Story: (optional) His Dad fought in the dark days and died a very painful death, but Edur wants to follow in his footteps. At home, he looks after his little brother and Mother, and they are the only people he lves because he has no other friends.
Up for Love: Not really, unless they are very much like him. Straight.
(Only if Tribute) Tribute's Symbol: His symbol is a bracelet worn on his left hand, it is covered in emeralds and has a picture of his father on it. His father gave it to him.
Other: Nothing really.
There is no such thing as a stranger. Only friends we haven't met yet.

Previously Just Toby

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:30 am
View Likes
starrgazer says...

As soon as I saw 'hunger games', I was like I MUST JOIN THIS. :P The series has to be one of my favourites. Anyways, this is mostly done now :)

Name: Lucille (people call her Luce though) Avery
District Number: 8
Which one? Tribute or Mentor: tribute
Appearance/ Picture:

Spoiler! :
[/b] Image

and

Spoiler! :

Luce has thick chocolate hair (usually twined in some sort of complicated braid), and dark olive green eyes. She has creamy skin (alike the majority of the female population), a slender, almost skinny build with small curves. She is borderline fragile looking, but has a hardset expression in her eyes. She looks a bit older for her age. Also, Luce has a soft voice.
Personality: She is a generally quiet girl who lives in her head. Filled with foreign ideas and thoughts, Luce has a more mature personality than most girls her age. She is very artistic and spends her days weaving intricate designs or helping around her crowded house.
Abilities: She is good at setting traps and blending in with the environment. She is a very sharp and clear headed girl who knows her herbs and medicine.
Strengths/ Weaknesses: Luce is very observant and light on her feet. She is also hard to detect. Her flaws are stamina and judgement and real confidence. She doesn't know who to trust and tends to close herself off sometimes. Even though Luce is good on wearing a mask of bravery, she's just a timid girl inside.
Background Story: Came from a family of 7 (including both parents) and she is the second oldest.
Up for Love: sure
(Only if Tribute) Tribute's Symbol: vibrant forget me nots with a golden thread weaved around the flowers.
Other:
Last edited by starrgazer on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade

Pffffft, yeah right...fat lot of help sour lemon juice would do. When life also throws me a bag of sugar, then we'll start talking.

:)

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:31 pm
BrooklynWriter says...

You guys can kill me off, I just don't have time for an SB right now. Sorry.
Last edited by BrooklynWriter on Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

14 Reviews

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:09 pm
View Likes
SkyeDragon says...

Save me a boy from district 9 please!

Name: Fiske Reede

District Number: 9

Which one? Tribute

Appearance/ Picture: He is small for his age, he is 5'4. Has messy black hair with white, neat sideburns. His eyes are a deep forest green. He will normally be found wearing a blue shirt with running shoes and camo pants.

Personality: Kind, has a sense of humor, likes telling jokes, but when things get serious, there's no joking around.

Abilities: He has a very strategic mind from playing board games when he wasn't outside. He is nimble and quick from jumping around from tree to tree. He is very light, which is useful for climbing trees.

Strengths/ Weaknesses: He is good with handling knives, and just as good with throwing them. He isn't bad with a bow and arrow either since it is similar to throwing knives. However, he is very clumsy with a sword, he tried once and nearly cut his toe off.

Background Story: His parents were killed by peacemakers while trying to smuggle some food from the fields for their dying daughter, Fiske's sister. After they were killed, his sister died and Fiske was adopted by a childless couple, Grace and Trent Rogers.

Up for Love: Maybe....

Tribute's Symbol: A dove grasping a sword in its talons.
Last edited by SkyeDragon on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Every great writer was once an amateur.

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:10 pm
Justagirl says...

SkyeDragon wrote:Save me a boy from district 11 please!

JustToby already has a boy from 11, actually... D:
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

Inspiration usually comes during work, rather than before it.
— Madeleine L'Engle, Author