The "M" Gene (Permission Only)

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:38 am
View Likes
Leahweird says...

Name: Abby Lynn

Race: Mutant

Powers: To put it simply, Abby is a shape shifter. She can change her entire physiology. She can look like or be anything, as long as she stays the same size (becoming larger or smaller would require too much change in mass). It’s really painful to do this though.

Conceivably, she can heal herself, but since she works mostly by instinct it’s easy to just make the problem worse.

Appearance:

Spoiler! :

Abby’s usual form is that of a young woman with red hair and pale skin. She thinks this is the closest to how she is supposed to look, but she has no “base form” so it’s just a guess really.

She doesn’t always get things right though. Sometimes her limbs are the wrong length, or her eyes are to wide, or some other oddity. She can fix it, given enough time and practice, but she still skirts the edge of uncanny valley.

She’s really messed up her insides. Everything is put together wrong. Everything still seems to be working, but Abby lives in fear of shifting something she won’t be able to fix.

Personality: Abby is by no means shy. She is merely quite and cautious. She likes to survey a situation with her own careful ferocity before plunging in. She seems feral, but once she drops her guard she can be quite playful. While tentative at first, once she feels safe with someone she will trust them absolutely. This is just one of the ways her naiveté manifests itself.
She is not afraid to speak her mind, and her curiosity sometimes gets her in trouble. She doesn’t have much respect for boundaries. Nor does she have a concept of personal space. Her natural wariness usually stops her from doing this, but if she considers a person her friend, she tends to get up close and personal as much as possible. She is merely a wild creature starved for affection.

History: When Abby was little, she couldn’t control her powers. She spent most of her early years in a lab. She doesn’t know whether something happened to her parents, or if they gave her up willingly.

When she was around seven, her powers began to stabilize (or she simply learned how to control them better, she’s not sure which) and she managed to escape. For years she lived as an animal, usually a dog. She thought it was safer pretending to be just another stray. But when she hit her teens, she got too big to realistically pass as a creature that would hang around humans. She could have simply taken to the wild, but instead she to reclaim her lost humanity.

The transition was not pleasant, either physically or mentally. She really didn’t have the social skills to pass for normal, and the dramatic shifting had taken its toll on her body. Abby quickly found herself hospitalized. Yet miraculously she was able to escape yet again by impersonating one of her “caretakers”. Since then she has been living on the outskirts of society, using her powers to try and avoid suspicion as much as possible.

Up for love: Definitely

Other: She doesn’t know what her original name was. “Abby Lynn” was just the combination she likes most out of the names she actually knew.
Also, she bites.

Sorry this took me so long. Let me know if I need to change anything.
Last edited by Leahweird on Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:11 am
View Likes
RedBird says...

Name: Micah Tallow

Powers: Micah is a teleport. This means that he can transport himself and anything touching him (e.g. his clothes; he won't end up naked at his destination) to any place that he has previously been. It takes, on average, around 10 seconds for him to reach destination, but the time varies depending on the distance that he's traveling (e.g. If he's moving ten feet, it will only take a second at most, but if he's going across ten miles, it will take maybe 30 seconds). He can transport up to two others, as well, but this is very draining. Also, if he knows exactly where an object, such as a loaf of bread, or something of relative size or smaller, he can teleport it to himself. This is also very exhausting for him.

Appearance: Micah is around five feet and seven inches in height, and extremely thin. He is strong, having lived on the streets for nearly his entire life (more on that later), and in excellent shape. He has shoulder-length red hair, which he keeps tied back. Although his thin face is typically grimy, it is also covered in freckles, so that at times, he looks almost tan. He has hazel eyes and a rather pointy nose. In general, he wears an old, beaten-up leather over coat, combat boots, and messenger cap.

Personality: Micah is a desperately social person, who has been without consistent human company for almost his entire life. He thinks that he's funny, but doesn't really know because he's never had the chance to try out his skills. When he does get the chance to interact with other people, he has a happy-go-lucky air, despite his situation. He's constantly cracking jokes and trying to make people feel better about themselves. He's also extremely compulsive, and will do things just because he can. For example, he might see an expensive watch in a store, one that he could never afford, and, having figured out its location, will teleport it to him. He could do that for hours, just teleporting things to him, and then sending them back, and bringing them to him again, and so on and so forth. In short, he is also easily amused. It was this very fact that got him noticed as a mutant in the first place.

History: Micah has never known his parents. He was discovered in a back alley as a toddler, and taken to an inner-city orphanage. He lived there for seven years and got along quite well, even in the dismal conditions that he and the other orphans lived in. However, at the age of ten, his powers came into maturity, and he was thrown out, out of fear. Again on the streets, he quickly found a place that he could call his own, in a disused underground entrance. He set up a kind of den in a supply room, filling it with stolen blankets, clothes, and other things. He has lived there for seven years, now.
Although a social person by nature, Micah has kept himself to himself for the most part. He has seen the terrible things that can happen to people, both human and mutant, on the streets, and he doesn't want to get caught up in such things. He steals what he needs surreptitiously, taking what food he can. He has been almost every place in the city, and thus can teleport to almost anywhere he wants to, within city limits. He's made occasional ventures out of the city, but not many.
Lately, he's noticed a definite increase in anti-mutant violence, which has made him more withdrawn. He's had several close shaves with police, and is getting stressed by the whole situation. He can sense that all of this is coming to something, but he doesn't know what.

Up for love: Yes
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

61 Reviews

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:10 pm
View Likes
RedBird says...

Micah/The Slums

I hurry along the side of the street, hands in my pockets. The bag that hangs at my side is filled with food that I've stolen from a nearby store. With any luck, the owner won't notice anything's amiss until long after I'm gone. If not, I don't really have the energy to teleport away, or even run, really. Just taking a loaf of bread, a bottle of juice, some cheese, and a bunch of apples has completely drained me. It will take me another few minutes to get back to normal.
It's pretty chilly, so I've buttoned my old overcoat around my threadbare shirt. I'm definitely going to have to get new clothes soon, or I'll have a hard time this winter. I sigh. I really need to think about getting off the streets. I mean, come on. I'm 17, and almost adult. As far as I know, only the people at the orphanage ever knew I was a mutant, and that was years ago, anyway. I can try to find work, and no one will turn me in, hopefully.
I continue to walk down the street, and the city grows more and more dilapidated around me. I've lived in this part of town for a long time, almost ten years, and despite the grime and the squaller, I think of it as home. Just as I'm thinking about this, I pass some members of a local gang, who are lounging around by a street corner. One of them glares at me, and I pull my cap lower over my eyes to avoid his malevolent gaze. Of course, there's a dangerous side to living here, but I try to keep myself to myself, even though it pains me to be out of the constant company of other people. I just don't want to be caught up in all the fighting that goes on here, though.
I look up and see two women, one with red hair, like me, and one with darker, almost black hair. They're talking, and I can see right away that auburn one is annoying the other. I can also tell that the women with the dark hair is a fellow mutant. I don't know how, but I just do. Whenever I'm around mutants, I know. As I walk past them, someone roughly pushes past me, and I stumble. I reach out to stop my fall, and in the process, the stolen food in my bag spills across the street, the hunk of cheese landing right by the women's feet. I curse and start picking it all up. I've got everything but the cheese, and am about to run when the auburn-haired one picks up the cheese and holds it out.

"Here you go," she says, smiling. Nervously, I look from her, to the other, to the cheese, and then back at her face. One of her eyes is bright blue. The other is brown.

"I'm not going to hurt you," she says in a soothing sort of way, but I still don't take the cheese. The dark-haired girl rolls here eyes.

"Look, either take the cheese, or go, don't just stand there like an idiot. Is that your power? Being dumb?"

That snaps me out of my fear. I snatch the cheese, and then round on her.

"How do you know I'm a mutant?" I snap. She shrugs.

"I didn't. Thought you might be, though," she says, rolling her eyes again.

"Oh, you're a mutant, then?" says the other girl, perkily, "I am too!"

"No, you're not," I say, carelessly. She looks taken aback.

"How do you know?" she asks, curiously. I sigh.

"I just do,"
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:33 am
View Likes
Sassafras says...

Vine Hamilton

"No."

Something inside me twitched and I clenched my fist reflectively. No? What did she mean by no? And what's with that stupid grin on her face, as if she's won something. I turn around and walk back towards her, a bitter angry laugh escapes me.

"No? You don't tell me no, girl. If I tell you to walk away you walk away."

"And if I don't?"

Damn it all, she doesn't have enough metal on her to injure her too badly if I pulled on it. And plus my metal reserves are running out, I need to refill soon. I can use my coins, but why expose myself for some strange chick? I just got the police off my tail, don't need them on me again. So, instead of using my powers, I draw back my fist to punch her in the stomach, that should make her leave me alone, but just as I'm pulling back something hits my leg.

The girl takes a few steps back once she realizes what I meant to do, but stops when I put my arm down.

Cheese?

She comes back, man, she's stupid, and picks up the cheese and holds it out to another red head that comes running over.

"Here ya go," she says, cherry as ever. I have a sudden urge to punch her again but I hold it back. The guy doesn't take the cheese, just stands there like an idiot. "I'm not going to hurt you."

I roll my eyes so hard it makes my head hurt a bit. He still doesn't move.

"Look, either take the cheese, or go, don't just stand there like an idiot. Is that your power? Being dumb?"

He jolts back to life suddenly and snatches the cheese away from the annoying girl and shoves it into a plastic bag.

"How do you know I'm a mutant?"

I shrug and fold my arms across my chest.

"I didn't. Thought you might be, though." I roll my eyes again and look back towards the girl. I have an idea about anyone that comes to these parts. Only mutants have to come down here, which is why I'm a bit confused as to why the girl is here. She doesn't have the right feel to her... Hopefully she's just a stupid human and can keep her mouth shut about us. We did, after all, just reveal ourselves.

"Oh, you're a mutant, then," she chimes in that annoying voice. "I am too!"

I scoff loudly and laugh.

"No, you're not," the other guy sighs. Man, she's more pathetic than I thought she was. Pretending to be a mutant, but why?

"How do you know?"

And she's a bad actor, could have at least stayed in character, defended herself a bit.

"I just do," he replies.

I narrow my eyes at the girl and take a threatening step forward.

"So, why are you here, girl? Trying to turn us in?"

She shakes her head furiously and holds her bag to her chest.

"No, I jut like coming here, it's quiet and n-nice."

"Anyone ever tell you you're a bag liar?"

She flushes and trips over a rock in her slow retreat. She lets out a pained noise as she falls and I'm over her before she can get up. Suddenly I'm happy, because it feels a bit nice to be a bully again, if only for a little while.

"Give me your bag," I say. I don't want it, really, but it looks important to her so I'll take it anyway. She holds it tight and shakes her head. So Instead of fighting with her I pull on the metal rings and zippers, causing the bag to rip out of her arms and into mine. "There, thanks."

I toss the bag some ways away and move to pin her down before she can get up. I slip my metal bracelets off my wrists and onto hers, once they're secure I push against them, pinning her to the ground.

"Man, that took more out of me than I thought it would," I sigh. I turn back towards the boy, who just watched quietly from the sidelines, and waved him over. "You have any water?"

He rummages through his bag a bit and pulls out a bottle.

"I have juice..."

"Good enough."

I take the juice and reach down into my pocket for my pack of metal dust. I dump the contents onto my tongue and quickly rinse it down with a waterfall from the boy's bottle. He takes the juice back and I can feel the metals churning in my stomach. I push harder against the bracelets, making her wince, but she doesn't struggle.

"So, you have control over metals," she says thoughtfully. "But you need to consume metals to be able to control them... Amazing!"

I look down at her in confusion and kill the push. She sits up immediately and rubs her wrists.

"Wow, how amazing."

"What is wrong with you?"

"I'm Olive," she says with a smile. She holds out her hand for a shake but I just take my bracelets back and walk away. "Wait, come back," she calls. "What's your name?"

I throw her the finger and grab her bag. There's a lot of junk in there but I only want the money.

"Hey, stop," she cries. I can hear her footsteps running towards me. But as soon as I have her wallet I push against the coins on the bottom of my shoes and go flying off. I needed something to eat and the coffee shop by the park was sounding delicious right about now.

Camry Sosa

"All right, rope, tie around the wood planks and bring them on the roof. Nail gun, bolt them down."

Blue stops pushing the wood planks towards the waiting rope and looks up towards me.

"Don't worry, Blue, I'll stop feeding them life before they can feel the pain, okay?"

He nods and finishes pushing them. Once they're on top of the roof they all hop over to the hole and lay their bodies over it. Before the nail gun can do it's job I kill off their life source.

The roof caved in yesterday, right on top of me, for no reason at all. I guess it was to be expected though, the houses here in the slums are not all that stable. I found a house that at least had some framework and fixed it up a few years ago. It wasn't that hard because even though I didn't know where everything went the pieces that I brought to life knew their place and went there happily.

"Thanks guys," I call out. "That didn't take as long as I thought it would."

I kill off everything at once, except for Blue who is picking up some trash, and chug down another energy drink. My energy reserves were running out and I already accidentally used my life reserve to power Blue. That's ten minutes of my life I'm never getting back...

I toss the empty can away and quickly eat another energy bar, washed down by yet another Monster. Blue calmly picks up all my trash and dumps in into the trash can not too far away.

"Okay boy, I say, I'm officially out of energy drinks. Time to refill, so come on."

He walks over and climbs up my clothes and onto the chain on my pants where he hangs like an accessory. Who keeps robots hanging from their jeans? I don't know, but that's where he has to stay whenever we go out. I start out the Slums, taking the wide path because in the distance I can see a small group of people. I can't hear them, but one of them is one the ground with another standing above her. I don't want to get mixed up in that.

It's not a long walk to town, but the walk to the store takes quite a bit of time. By the time I get there the sun is already in a different position in the sky. I get lost in the crowd of people because to do what I'm about to do I need to be as hidden as possible.

Some lady sets her purse down in her cart. I animate it and command it to fall over and roll towards me. It's reluctant at first but does what it's told. I grab the purse and quickly walk away, but not too quick as to not draw attention to myself.

"Oh my god," I hear her call. "Where did I put that thing."

I slip into another aisle and take out all the money in her wallet.

"Man.. this lady is loaded. Didn't know people carry this much money around."

I pocket the wad of cash and toss the bag back where the lady was. She'll find it soon enough. Then I run off to get my goods. A bad feeling stirs my gut but I shake it off and keep walking. I didn't ask to be a mutant.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:34 am
View Likes
CelticaNoir says...

Blake siblings | An abandoned warehouse.

Sinead blinked. The light of the bonfire wavered in the chilly winter air, and the twins on either side of her huddled closer for warmth. In all honesty, she couldn't say she was bothered, either by them or the alarmingly low temperature. It wasn't as if any of it made any difference to her, after all. Mama was dead, and there was nothing any of them could do anymore. Kierra snuggled up to her, resting her bright gold head on her older sister's arm for a quick nap.

Sinead could see Kieran's eyes swaying curiously towards his twin sister, before redirecting them back to the fire, prodding it with a stick as he did so. "Hey, Neah..." He paused, unsure how to go on. "I was thinking...about mama." Sinead stiffened just as Kierra started mumbling in her sleep about a rock. Kieran went on, ignoring both of them. "You know, right, how she said to live our lives the best we could and forget the past?"

"Yes..." Sinead slowly disengaged herself from her sister's increasingly tightening grip and instead let Kierra's head fall onto her lap. Kieran threw the stick into the fire and picked another one from the stack beside him as she replied. "Yes, I remember."

"I'm just thinking...that isn't really all that easy, is it," he mumbled. "It's not easy to forget the past. I keep thinking about Mama every single day."

"Me too."

"I also...remember seeing you home after work one night..." His voice had dropped to a whisper. Sinead couldn't look at him. She couldn't bear to look at him. All those nights of doing what she had to, in order to save Mama; she couldn't look him in the eye. She knew she'd spill everything if she looked at him. "You looked horrible."

"Thanks for the compliment." Sinead laughed, passing it off as a joke. He stared at her suspiciously and turned back to the fire.

"Well, if you don't wanna talk about it, I suppose you don't." He looked up at the sky, unblinking. "Think we should get on the move, before even more of those Enforcers come, don't you think, Neah?"

"Mm." She nudged Kierra. "Come on Era, time to wake up."

"Don't wanna."

Sinead and Kieran caught each others' eyes, and she smiled while he grinned. Some things never change.
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:04 am
View Likes
Leahweird says...

Abby

Shivering, Abby stood at the window of a fancy restaurant. She liked to watch the people inside enjoying themselves. She wished she could do something to keep herself warm, but she could think of any way to do so that wouldn’t attract attention. Although, being outside in the middle of winter was probably wasn’t helping.

She’d even darkened her hair to a muddy brown. The red that she liked generally stood out to much. It hurt to have to change it, but she couldn’t afford to have people look at her too closely. Far too often people saw that something wasn’t right about her.

She jumped as the door beside her opened. A uniformed man surveyed her from entrance.

“You’re going to need to at least get some shoes if you want to come in here,” he said.

Abby glanced at her feet quickly. They still seemed normal enough, even though she’d made walking around barefoot easier on herself.

“Miss, are you alright?” the man asked.

Abby suddenly turned and started to run. The man called after her, but she didn’t stop. He seemed to be one of the dangerous people that wanted to help her. Abuse she could take, but kindness would eventually lead to discovery.

She darted into an ally, but it seemed to be a dead-end. She didn’t think anyone was actually chasing her, but going back out into the street was probably a bad idea. Above her head, she noticed a fire escape.

She tried to jump up to it, but the first few time didn’t work. Finally, she resorted to strengthening the muscles in her legs to give herself some extra power. She still almost couldn’t make it and had to stretch out her arm at the last minute.

At last she managed to drag herself to the roof. For a moment she just crouched there, waiting for the agony in her limbs to subside. Wimpering, she tried to find a spot to curl up out of the wind.

424 Reviews

Reviews: 424
Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:49 pm
View Likes
Demoness says...

Name: Neil Scathé

Powers: Neil has a sort of darkness inside of him, like a split personality. At times he’s just an ordinary boy, meaning – powerless. While when the darkness is in charge he can control minds. He can make people do whatever he wants just by thinking it. The side effect is that he needs to let into the darkness to be able to these things and when he does his eyes turn black. The danger with this is that anyone who is close to him for a longer time, or repeatedly is exposed to his dark eyes, risks having their own eyes turn black as well. Only they can’t handle the darkness and so their eyes start to bleed black tears and eventually they die.

Appearance: Most people’s first impression of Neil is that he looks a little like a savage with his thick, black hair always being a mess and with his witty smile and almost a little cruel gaze. Physically he’s a rather tall young man with a fit but quite skinny body. He’s quite tan but still his skin tone gives a rather sick and damp impression which supposedly originates from the fact that the darkness tear on him not only psychically but also physically. Usually Neil’s eyes are of a deep, forest-green colour but whenever the darkness is in control they turn pit black, including the white eye globe. He dresses in Levis and comfortable dark-coloured t-shirts and above it he always wear his old, torn leather-jacket.

Personality: Neil’s personality goes quite well with his savage-looks and he’s a rather reckless young man who doesn’t hesitate to put himself in dangerous situations. He is emotionally distant when it comes to showing love, compassion and empathy while rage and viciousness is easily displayed. He is known for always speaking his mind and not doing what other people want him to but do what he desires. In some people’s eyes he is frightening and dangerous when in other’s eyes he’s funny and attractive.
Neil is fond of knives and a good swords champ; he’s especially fond of his two, crooked, sharp, silver-knives with leather handles.
He doesn’t like darkness even though he usually need to use it for his advantage. He is also a claustrophobic.

History: When at the age of 12 Neil evolved into a mutant – meaning; he became undesired, feared and disgusted, he was completely cut off from his family and friends but in difference to many others who tried to move to another place – start over – blend in – deny being special, Neil did quite the opposite. He used his abilities out in the open and got into trouble more than once because of it. Since he was quite young at the time he managed to slip away without any graver damage done to him but he soon learned that he had to be careful not to get caught. In any case – Neil hated being rejected by the community and he wouldn’t accept it so at the age of 15 he formed a resistant group. MIRAH – Mutants in resistance against humans. He spent a few years trying to recruit people to join him and now, four years later, MIRAH contains about 2 dozens of mutants spread out in smaller group around the globe. MIRAH’s goal is to free the mutants from the unbearable and threatening situation the government has put them in.

Up for love: It’s possible he could fall in love but Neil keeps his distance – partially because of the fear of opening up to another person but mainly because of the threat he is to the people he spends too much time with.
"Some say the world will end in fire;
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice." - Robert Frost

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:52 pm
View Likes
KindredSpiritBee says...

Please ignore this! So sorry!
Last edited by KindredSpiritBee on Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Llamas do not have six packs

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:53 pm
View Likes
KindredSpiritBee says...

Aster/ Working

I quietly, and quickly mucked out the stall, if I didn't hurry then I would be in trouble for not working hard enough. My boss wasn't cruel, but he was very strict, and he expected the stall his favorite stallion resided in to be clean when he brought Ash back. I finished easily enough, the black horse couldn't make that big of a mess in the last twenty-four hours. And then I set down new straw and changed out the water. I looked around, feeling slightly pleased with the speed at which I had worked, and left that stall. My boss, Sir as he preferred to be called, didn't own a huge barn, but it was luxurious to say the least. He had fifteen horses, and two zebra's, and each had to be in the most pristine shape. I didn't begrudge the work, not at all, I was lucky to have it, but there certainly more than enough of it. There were only six stable hands, and three trainers to keep it all in the most perfect shape, and that was with only the animals Sir owned. He boarded another eight animals, and was constantly bringing in even more.

As I was carried away in my thoughts, something reached me. It wasn't something other people could detect, because it was my spidey sense of sorts, I could sense a disturbance in the air around me. Not a disturbance, I guess, but a shift in the chemicals in the air- a change in the enzymes? I couldn't really name what it was that I could feel and sense, but it had everything to do with the emotions of the people and animals around me. I didn't know what was going on, I wasn't psychic- only a regular mutant- but someone or something nearby was angry.

It took all my will power not to immediately start balancing the- hormones?- out and change what that thing was feeling. I desperately wanted to change it all, but if I did people would become suspicious.

"Aster, did you hear?" One of my coworkers- Joseph- exclaimed, rushing past "Sir brought back a wild one today!"

I lowered my head as he spoke to me, and felt my pale face flush. I always felt so stupid when others spoke to me, especially humans. Could they see that I was different? Could they sense what I was able to do?

"I hope he doesn't put it under my charge-" he cut himself off and his eyes widened, the boy seemed to have struck a sort of idea, and I could sense the panic coursing through his system. "He will, unless..." His emotions changed again, shifting the air around me, and I had to stop myself from releasing the chemicals that would change him to a more neutral state. He was so full, it would be easy to tone him down.

I was suddenly distracted from him, as the anger I had been sensing intensified and the doors of the barn swung open.

In charged several very emotionally charged men, and one furious stallion. I needed to get away before I lost control of my powers.
Llamas do not have six packs

61 Reviews

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:49 pm
View Likes
RedBird says...

Micah/The Slums,

The metal-wielding girl is gone, having stolen the other woman's purse. She's staring off in the direction of her stolen purse, and I'm still standing a few feet away, a half-empty bottle of juice in my hands. For a second, I stare at the girl, Olive, she called herself. Then, I quickly screw the top back on the bottle, and stuff it back in my bag. I've been caught in the situation I swore I never would be...a robbery, no less! And this woman knows that I'm a mutant and if anyone asks what happened, she can just blame it on me. I need to get away as fast as possible, before I get turned in to the Enforcers.
I haven't even taken two steps before the girl calls out to me.

"Hey, wait up!" she says, instantly cheerful again. I groan inwardly.

"I--uh--I need to be somewhere," I mutter as she catches up with me. This does not put her off.

"Where are you going, then?" The constant smile on her face is starting to seriously piss me off. Doesn't she understand?

"Home," I say curtly, "And if I were you, I'd do the same." She doesn't seem to hear the last part.

"Ooh, can I see your house? I'm, uh, writing up on the situations that mutants are living in, and you could be one of my subjects!" She says this like it's something everyone would want. I can't have her trailing me to my hideout, though, so I stop and turn to her.

"Look...Olive. What are you really up to here? Are you some sort of Enforcer undercover agent? You already know I'm mutant, so why haven't you called the police, or something?"

"I don't want to turn you in!" She seems shocked by the very idea, "I just want to get to know you. Which reminds me, I never got your name..."

"I'm Micah," I say, sighing.

"What's your power, Micah?" she asks, glowing with curiosity.

"I'm a teleporter," I mumble, nervously glancing around to see if anyone else is on the streets. No one is. We are alone here.
~Snape, AVPM

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:33 am
View Likes
Shadowlight says...

(I have dyslexia and my spelling and punctuation and severely effected- if anything in this post is spelled wrong or lacking in proper punctuation it is due to this, not laziness on my part. I do my best to proof read all my posts- Thanks! <3)

Bayard/Sitting atop mill building on the east side:

The night air was cool, slightly moist from the rain of that afternoon, and smelling of wet city- not a pleasant smell to say the least. The neon lights from the myriad of signs seemed to locked in a mortal contest with the bejeweled heavens. The stars shined valiantly trying to prove their dominance but the light of the city was drowning them out. Actually it was only atop the abandoned mills on the east side closest to the river, where one could even hope to catch a glimpse of the twinkling lights.

And atop the abandoned Phisher Ableton mill I sat, neck craned as far back as I could to see the stars. The stars were faint, but they were still stars. Still the same stars I looked at as a child- the same stars my family and I used to watch from our porch back home- except there the stars weren't blurred by gaudy neon lights.

Rolling my neck to rid it of the cricks that had formed with my long vigil I stood and flexed my wings. They stood out duskily against the night- like moth wings- and I checked them to make sure every feather was in its place. The last thing I needed was to have something go wrong while I was in the air, and unlike bird wings my own took a hell of a lot of maintenance.

“Damn things.” I said as I ran my fingers down the larges of them to make sure all the fibers were interlocked and clear, they were all fine- for once. I rolled my shoulders and slowly walked to the edge of the roof trying to limber up. Once there I stood and looked over down the old mills brick wall and took a deep breath.

“God I hate heights,” I muttered and steeling my nerves, I jumped.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(If something in this post does not work for any reason just send me a PM and I will gladly edit.)
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

424 Reviews

Reviews: 424
Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:54 pm
View Likes
Demoness says...

Neil Scathé - The Coffée Shop

Neil made a shivering sound as he frantically rubbed his hands towards each other, trying to bring warmth to them. Even though he was dressed in a thick coat and expensive, lined boots this cold was more than he could bare. Never had he been one to favor the cold and today was no exception. He regretted ever leaving the fancy hotel in the city center which he'd chosen as MIRAH's current headquarters. But his spy, a little girl with the ability to make herself invisible and the guy Neil had teamed her up with, a guy with the ability to walk through walls had texted him saying Bishop's men would be meeting up at the local coffée shop to discuss unknown matters.

From what Neil had gathered Bishop had been in a bad mood and killed several men and now whatever she was planning Koss and Harris played an important part. Therefore Neil had decided this was a matter he had to deal with in person and so that's why he was wandering the streets having his limbs turn to ice.

Neil had been keeping his eyes on Bishop, or more known as The Zombie (Formation of the intitals SOM - Slaughter of Mutants) to the members of MIRAH, for a few weeks now and had with horror seen what hatred she seemed to have against all mutants.

Reaching the coffée shop at last Neil picked a seat in the corner at the very far right where he was properly shielded from having Koss's and Harris's gazes focused on him. He didn't expect them to take him for a mutant since he'd been sure to change his appearances to melt in with the fancier crowd, but you can never be to careful. Mutant's had a rumour of being sloppy, secondary citizens dressed in torn clothes that slept in street-corners and had to steal to feed themselves. For the better part this was quite the truth and Neil had for quite some time lives on the streets, barely surviving and always feeling like someone was watching, with the contant fear of being discovered and taken away.

After founding the MIRAH-group everything had changed though. One by one mutants were vulnerable but together they could protect each other, stand up for each other and do something about there crappy situations. The real change had started when previously mentioned mutants joined MIRAH and teamed up since an invisible girl and not-so-solid guy were both good spies and excellent thieves. They were Neils eye's and ears, and they were his source to great economy.

Sitting in the corner drinking his black coffee Neil wore underneath his coat an armani-costume with a fitting black tie, his eyes were covered by shaded glasses and he'd even added some hair-gel to his usually messy hair. He wore a head-set and read a newspaper. Frankly, Neil didn't look like a mutant, he looked like his enemies - those who feared mutants, hated mutants and hunted mutants. He was safe.

Still, when Harris entered the coffée shop, walking up to join his partner at one of the window-tables Neil couldn't keep from shivering - and this time it wasn't because of the cold.
"Some say the world will end in fire;
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice." - Robert Frost

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:02 am
View Likes
Sassafras says...

Vine Hamilton

I land finally just before entering the city. People don't take much of a liking to flying girls. My stomach growls and I roll my eyes, but I have money so it's okay. I want to go to the coffee shop, that's my favorite place, so that's where I'm headed. When I enter it's not really packed, a few people in some booths, a few at the bar, a loner, a couple. Totally chill. I walk up the the register and the lady, Quin, smiles at me. I smile back, but only slightly.

"Regular, hun?"

I frown and nod stiffly. As of late she's taking a liking to calling me hun. I don't quite like it but I don't say anything. Quin's a kind old lady and I just don't have the heart to be mean to her. She hasn't done anything to me yet... Or maybe it's because she reminds me of what a mother should be like? Whatever.

She hands me the vanilla frap and I go to sit in my favorite spot only to find some other guy there. I give him a once over, hoping he'll get the point to move, but he just sits there. Something's off about him, like a familiar kind of weird. I smirk suddenly and take the seat across from him. He's a mutant, but I don't say anything. There are two fellas in the coffee shop today that don't look like they belong, one's unnervingly happy.

"Umm, excuse me," he says slowly. I nod towards him and take a sip of my drink. Should have ordered a cake too...

"You're excused. This is my spot."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah, my name's even on it." I point to a spot on the table where "Vine" is scratched out in all capital letters. He makes a strange sound and sits back in his seat. "So, you're moving now, right."

He doesn't answer so I just sit back and enjoy my frap.

Camry Sosa

I leave the store with a bag full of food, enough to last me for a good while. Once I make it back to the Slums I pass two kids. They look like the kids I saw on my way out, only not fighting. The girl turns to me with a bright smile and I stop and grin hesitantly.

"Hello," she chimes. "How are you?"

"I'm... lovely."

She walks towards me and extends a hand, the other is holding a pad and pen. I grab her hand gently the same time Blue jumps off the chain on my pants and decides to make his presence known to strangers.

"Blue!" I grab him up and he flails in my hand before I'm forced to either put him down or break him. He goes running in circles a bit before clinging to my pants leg. The girl smiles wider.

"Such a peculiar... toy."

I flush and nod.

"Yeah... peculiar..."

"My name's Olive," she says. "What's yours?"

"Umm... my name is Camry."

"Soo nice to finally meet you Camry!"

I raise an eyebrow and step back.

"Finally?"

She just laughs and writes something down in her small book. I grab my things and back away a bit more.

"Well, I'm going to leave. It was nice meeting you Olive and..."

"Micah," he mumbles. I smile and nod, heading off towards my house.

"Micah, right... Well, bye."

"Wait," Olive calls. I stop and turn. "You live here," she asks. I blush and nod.

"Yes..."

"In the slums?"

"Yes..."

"Mind if I check it out?"

Yes.. I mean no! No, I don't mind. Just follow me..."
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:55 am
ScarlettFire says...

Allison Bishop | Her Lab:

Allison stood watching the freak thrash about calmly. She was testing a new drug, one that would hopefully boost the freak's powers or completely neutralize them. This was a side-effect she had not anticipated. Death was the usual result in her experiments; this one was not. Why wasn't the freak dead yet? She scowled, flicking a glance towards the trembling lab assistant. "Up the dosage," she commanded and the assistant stared at her.

"B-b-but--"

"Now," she snapped, turning back to the freak. The mutant had stopped moving and was laying still--unnaturally still--and if it wasn't for the heart and neurological monitors, they wouldn't have known he was still alive. Allison's gaze narrowed. Normally, they were dead before now, as this was a dangerous dose of the MGT-576 drug. But this one... What made him so special? The lab assistant upped the dosage to 750mgs and hesitated; the freak had opened his eyes. Allsion held out a hand. "Wait. He's reacting positively."

"But that's---" One look from Bishop shut the assistant up, who then backed away slowly. They were lucky; this freak was one who could only move objects--speaking of, there were now several larger objects rising from the ground. Allison smiled and approached her newest successful experiment and touched it's shoulder.

"That's a good boy," she murmured, leaning over him. The boy stared up at the ceiling blankly. "Now, be a good boy for Coffman, here, and I'll give you a treat." The assistant jumped as if bitten and stared at Doctor Bishop's back. She didn't protest as the boy sat up and slip off the table. "Coffman?" The assistant in question jumped at the sound of her name. "Please ensure that he's properly contained and--"

"Doctor Bishop to the Boardroom, please. Doctor Bishop to the Boardroom." The sudden announcement over the PA system had the pair frozen in place, even as the boy freak came to a stop beside Assistant Coffman. Allison's expression darkened at the interruption.

"What the hell do they want now?" she muttered, stalking towards the door only to pause and give the assistant, Coffman, a very meaningful look. A look that clearly told Coffman that if she screwed up, she was out of a job--or dead. Bishop had a tendency to kill employees who failed her. Coffman wasn't surprised. "Keep an eye on him," Bishop ordered before leaving the room.

Fifteen Minutes Later -- Medi-Co Boardroom;

"What did you screw up now," Allison demanded, slamming the door and making the nine men and women seated around an oval-shaped table in the centre of the room jump and/or flinch in their seats. They all turned to stare at her, most in annoyance and some in fear. If Doctor Bishop noticed anything, she didn't mention it. "I was in the middle of an experiment, couldn't it have waited?"

Without waiting for an answer, she moved to take a seat beside the man at the head of the table. He spoke before she could actually sit down; "Well, no. We've received reports of heightened Mutant activity in the south-eastern sector of the city." He cleared his throat, glancing around the table. "We thought that you mgiht like to know of this." Another quick scan of the table, then a swift up-and-down look of Allison Bishop. "After all, some of our spies are your creations."

Allison raised an eyebrow. "Oh? And what do these so-called reports include, Daniels?" she asked, taking her seat. There was a folder on the table in front of her. It had her name on it and "top secret". Allison smirked. So the Government's armed forces were getting in on this too? Very well. She could put up with that.

"If you would open the...folder...." Daniels trailed off, swallowing. Bishop was already reading over the folder. "I'm sure you'll find the information fascianting." He spared another glance for the others seated at the table. None of them had any idea of what was in the folder, as it had only her name on it. And no one dared pry into Allison Bishop's business. People ended up very dead if they did.

"Very fascinating, Daniels," she commented absently without looking up. Daniels, who was sweating by now and looking very nervous, shot up from his chair and made a run for it. Allison merely said "Carter," and looked up. Daniels was cut off at the door by a rather annoyed looking goon of Bishop's. Without another word from Allison, he short Daniels point-blank in the head and lounged in the doorway. Bishop stood up, taking the file with her and spared the rest of the table a glance before heading towards the door way. "Does anyone else have something to say?" she asked as she reached Carter and turned to face the room, avoiding the growing pool of blood that seeped towards her from Daniel's body. "No? No more people trying to play double-agent or hide anything?" When no one replied, she merely smile, turned her back on them and left the room, Carter quickly following her. That made six now. "Carter, get someone to clean the mess in the Boardroom up, would you?"

Carter grunted and pulled out a mobile phone. Bishop proceeded to ignore him and open the file again. Daniels hadn't been Daniels at all. He been a mutant; someone who could take on the appearance of another. Gods only knew where the real Daniels was.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

61 Reviews

Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:48 pm
RedBird says...

Micah/The Slums

After all these years, and people are starting to notice me. I've always managed to keep a low profile, and now, here I am, having told no less than two people that I'm a mutant. I guess I've just been craving some human company.
Not knowing what else to do, I follow Olive and Camry to his house. I keep an eye on the little blue robot. What had he called it? Blue? Either way, he's clearly a mutant. I speed up to walk with him.

"So, you're a mutant," I say, quietly. He gives me a sharp look, but nods. I smile, "So am I."

His face softens a little, "I kind of figured...She's not, though, am I right?"

He jerks his head towards Olive, who is happily chattering away, oblivious to our side conversation. I laugh softly.

"No, she's definitely not," I say, grinning, "I think she's just a little mutant-obsessed. Not dangerously, though...I don't think she means us any harm."

"What's your power, then?" Camry asks, and now even Olive is listening. I flush.

"Umm, I'm a teleport," I say, "What about you?"

"I can animate objects, basically," he says, "Like Blue."

As if in example, the little figure jumps and moves its arms.

"Cool," I say, grinning, "Where do you live, again?"
~Snape, AVPM

If you run now, you will be running the rest of your life.
— Reborn