Young Writers Society

City of Broken -- Started

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:48 am
View Likes
Shadowlight says...

Oded/city streets:

I ran through the streets after the escaping goddess.

-My god she ran fast for such a small woman!

My boots pounded on the cobbled streets as I easily outdistanced the guards. I wasn't in the armor or other battle equipment they were ordered to wear- I was only in my tunic and britches. The Darazian heat was almost too much for me in anything heavier.

-Shakil had let her run right passed him without even trying to stop her! The fool- but then again why was I trying to stop her?

I knew he had been, shall I say “closer” to the goddess than was expected of him- from his mission but he acted as if he had feelings for her. He betrayed her for heaven's sake was he only now developing a moral compass?!

I dodged through the crowds, my eyes trained in only on the tail of flying red hair. I cornered her a moment later, she turned on me shrieking like a wildcat. The raking of her hard little nails across my face caught me off guard the first time but when she drew back again, I deftly twisted her arm around,and there fore her- so her back was against my chest. I brought my elbow down hard on the junction, where her neck met her shoulders. She went limp with a little cry in my arms.

Gently as I could- yet I fear it was awkwardly done- I picked up her slight form and began walking back towards the guards who were now just entering the side street I had chased her down.

“General, you-your face,” one of them said, I rolled my eyes at the man- ignoring him.

Fifteen minutes later- and it seemed a ocean of accusing faces later- I reached the platform, Jakome still standing there.

-Hadn’t he moved at all?

I was still carrying the goddess, one or two of the guards who followed behind had offered to taker her, but I refused them.

“She isn’t a burden, she isn’t any heavier than a child really,” I said not even looking back.

I slowly walked up the rickety stairs to the king, he looked at the senseless woman in my arms, raising an eyebrow.

“What the hell happened to your face?” he said pointing, then realization seemed to dawn over his face and he laughed uproariously. “I told you, Oded, the bitch has claws!” That seemed to send him on another bout of laughter till tears ran down his face.

-The man terrified me, what normal person would joke like that!?

“Sir where do you want me to put-um- that is, who shall I-um...” I trailed off, how was one supposed to delicately ask that question- the man could turn anything innocent to sound dreadful!

Jakome laughed again, but this time it was at me.

“You’re stuttering like a schoolboy, get a hold of yourself man!” I blushed, frowning at the same time- gods there were so many people watching me! Jakome grinned one of his sadistic grins, a truly terrifying thing.

“Take her for a few days,” he said sounding suddenly bored- I blanched.
“Wh-what my lord?” I stammered.

-What the hell?! what was he talking about.

“You’ve earned it- she might amuse you. The gods know you need something. Pull the stick out of your ass and have a little fun- for heavens sake you’re my commanding general!”

I felt myself go dead white, the fiery red, then back to white. The lad standing at the kings elbow snickered.

-what in the seven rings of hell was he trying to do to me?!

“My king, I don’t think-” Jakome rolled his eyes.

“Oded, take her away, I’m tired of her- for now.” He turned then and moved off, followed by the lad who had been listening in- the whole damn time.

He left me there, standing awkwardly on the platform, the goddess in my arms.

“Aw hell,” I muttered as I made my way back down the stairs. What was I supposed to do now? I certainly wasn’t thinking along the same lines as the king- his mind went in places my worst nightmares feared to go.

I looked down at her, an ugly blue-black bruise already forming on her neck.

-I hadn’t hit her that hard.... had I?

“What am I supposed to do with a goddess for a few days?” I mused out loud- I didn’t have the slightest idea. “And how long is a few days!?”

The goddess stirred slightly.

-Oh gods please don’t wake up!

"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:07 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Mikel | City Square, just after the whipping:

“You look a little ill, Mikel. Is something wrong?” Mikel looked up to find his companion, Karvan, kneeling before him, a hand on his knee. Mikel nodded. He and Karvan had been sitting to one side and slightly behind Jakome, watching as the male red-haired ‘god’ was whipped. Of course, Mikel knew the man was only immortal. Thanks to Karvan.

The boy swallowed and looked past his companion to see all the blood on the ground. “I’ll be fine,” he murmured, dragging his gaze back to Karvan. He wasn’t sick from seeing the blood. Quite the contrary, actually. He wanted to see more. But now was not the time for twisted fantasies. “Does Jakome need us for anything or are we free to retire?”

The pair looked towards Jakome, but the man was standing. Oded, one of Jakome’s Generals, was returning. And he had the red-haired goddess in his arms. Mikel stood abruptly, taking a step forward. Karvan straightened up, staying behind the little lord. The woman had tried to run, and had swiftly been captured. Mikel smirked, glancing towards Jakome. The man was scowling.

Mikel watched the exchange in amusement. Poor Oded didn’t know what to do with the woman. Jakome just laughed and Mikel joined in with a little chuckle--mostly at the General’s expense than at whatever Jakome was laughing at. Mikel never was quite sure what Jakome was laughing at half the time. The man was probably insane anyway.

There was movement behind him and Karvan tapped Mikel on the shoulder. He turned with a frown, his remaining eye narrowed. “What is it?” he demanded, gaze drifting past his companion to find one of his household servants standing behind his chair. His gaze shot back to Karvan’s face.

“Someone has been snooping in your home, Mikel,” Karvan stated lowly, flicking a glance towards the awkward scene beyond Mikel. “I should probably go check on that. Will you be fine here, by yourself?”

Mikel scowled at the Immortal. “I’ll be fine,” he snapped and turned back to Oded’s little moment of awkwardness. That meant that Karvan was essentially dismissed. The dark-haired man vanished down the stairs with the servant, leaving Mikel alone, now beside Jakome. He watched as the pair talked, snickering at Oded’s discomfort. One just did not say no to Jakome. Mikel had learnt that the hard way.

Jakome gave the man an order and turned away before Oded could protest. Mikel smirked as he followed Jakome into the temple, leaving poor Oded out on the platform with an unconscious goddess in his arms. “Mikel.” He looked up, but Jakome wasn’t looking at him. “How goes the search?”

Mikel sighed. “Apparently they’re very well organised. Karvan believes that they have an Immortal helping them, maybe a god or two as well.” Jakome’s step didn’t even falter as they entered the throne room. “They are hard to find, my lord.”

“Hard to find?” Jakome asked. Mikel didn’t move, didn’t speak. Jakome shook his head, taking a seat on the throne. “Fine. Mikel, keep looking. I know they’re here.” Mikel nodded. He was dismissed, then. Jakome gave him a nod and Mikel turned and left the room, leaving his king to his brooding.

Arjana | The Tunnels;

Arjana watched Dismas as the other man paced. He looked frantic and on edge. Arjana didn’t blame him. Jakome was not a nice man. “Dismas, would you please sit down? Your pacing is giving me a headache.” Dismas didn’t appear to hear him. With a sigh, Arjana march forward and grabbed the other man by the upper arm, swinging him round to face him. Dismas struggled for a moment before Arjana’s face registered.

“By the gods, Arjana! Don’t grab me like that!” Dismas let Arjana pull him into his arms, soothing the other man’s frayed nerves.

“You need to calm down, Dismas,” Arjana murmured, glancing past him and towards the door to his room. The little light-haired lord was out in the hall, talking to Liam. As he watched, Liam retreated and left Alois standing in the hall. The boy glanced their way and smirked. “Neri needs you, remember?”

Arjana watched the boy as Dismas pulled away, turning to pace towards the far wall, out of sight of Alois. Something distracted the boy and he looked away. A moment later, he vanished down the hall. Arjana relaxed slightly and went after Dismas. Alois was creepy and the dark-skinned man did not like him. He wasn’t looking forward to the day that he judged him as Nazar in Merduka.

“How can I help her like this?” Dismas demanded. The broken Immortal was on the floor now, leaning against the wall. Arjana watched him with sad eyes. “I’m broken. I can’t..c.an’t go near him without breaking out crying. How can I help here, Arjana? How?”

Arjana could only watch as Dismas fell apart all over again. how was he meant to mend such a broken Immortal? He really did not know how he was going to fix Dismas. Maybe Neri could help? Of course, someone would have to fix her first.

Tsila | Throne Room;

Tsila stood in the shadows of throne room, watching Jakome as he dismissed the boy and sat back in his seat. As soon as the boy left the room, she stepped out of the shadows and approached the man.

“You did the right thing, Jakome,” she said, coming to a stop before the man. He glared at her. She just smiled back at him. “Trust me. You wouldn’t be here if you had done the wrong thing.”

“Nisha, what the hell do you think you’re doing?” He was sneering at her, and it left Tsila completely unfazed. “You tell me to do this and order me not to do other things. Why are you doing this? What are you planning?”

Tsila waved a finger at him, smirking. “Ah, ah, ah. Don’t you know better than to ask a Gypsy Woman what she’s plotting?” Jakome flinched. Oh, she knew. She knew a Gypsy woman had betrayed Jakome, a long, long time ago. “As for what I’m planning and why? You should know better than to question your elders. You know I am far older than I look.”

Jakome looked away, hands clenching on the arms of the throne. “Fine,” he spat out. Tsila reached the throne and pushed his hand off one of the arms, hopping up onto it.

“Now, you’re going to--” And she leaned in to whisper in his ear, the words lost to anyone who may have been listening in. When she was done talking, she hopped off the arm of the throne and disappeared back into the shadows. She would not be visiting Jakome again.

Several Minutes Later - The Streets of Daraz

The girl peered up at the Gypsy woman, frowning. “But you just said--”

Tsila cut her off. “I know what I said, and I know what you want. Without the coin, you will not get it. Now go.” She waved the girl away, turning to pick up the cards she’d placed on a nearby box. The girl left in a huff, throwing her a glare as she stalked off. Tsila checked on the street, making sure no one else would approach her before slipping the cards back into one of the many pockets inside her dark red cloak.

A dark haired boy walked past as she pulled up her hood. He wore an eye-patch and glared at anyone who dared to spare him a glance. Tsila smirked. This would be the little lord Alois had mentioned-- Mikel. She moved to follow him as he wandered through the city and then paused outside a large, two story manor. She waited in the shadows as he entered the building, the door slamming behind him. She was about to head towards the manor when a tall, dark haired man cut her off. He had walked into her, making her stumble. Her hood fell back and they stared at each other. Oh, by the gods. It was Shakil.

“Don’t I know you?” he asked, grabbing her arm so she couldn’t escape. Oh, how the other gods would laugh to see her now. A goddess overpowered by a mere mortal! It was embarrassing. She tugged her arm free, backing up a step. He followed.

“I’m sorry, General,” she murmured, looking away. “But I don’t think you do.”
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:40 pm
View Likes
SisterItaly says...

Shakil | Streets of Daraz

“I swear I know you from somewhere. I couldn’t ever forget a face like yours.” For once, Shakil had said something flirtatious without meaning to. The white-haired woman stared at him in disbelief. “I mean, I’m better with faces than names. Forgive me.”

“You’re forgiven, general.”

“Oh, I’m not a general. I’m just another guard.” And a traitor. Silence between the two. “I-- uh-- carry on,” he mumbled before ducking around her and storming off towards his house. He heard footsteps behind him and stopped.

Was the little woman following him? Or was that just his imagination? It had to be his imagination, because when he turned around he didn’t see her. Maybe he was working too hard, and the stress was getting to him. With a sigh he turned around, only to see the little white haired woman smiling up at him cheekily.

The man nearly jumped out of his boots. “Sweet heavens! You scared me!” The little woman let out a loud laugh, making Shakil glare at her. “Why are you following me?” His hand moved towards his sword.

“Because I find you fascinating,” she hummed, watching him. He stared at her for a moment longer before moving around her again.

“I have somewhere to be, move along,” he grumbled under his breath. He had somewhere to be alright, he had to be in his room. Plotting. Again, he heard the footsteps behind him and turned his head slightly to see her following him. “I can’t be that interesting, lady.”

He moved to start walking again, but she piped up. “Oh, but you are.” He turned and cocked a brow at her. “To a goddess.”

Shakil’s eyes grew wider than he thought humanly possible as he stared down at the woman. That’s where he remembered her from. The woman that Neri had always talked about, the goddess who had made her what she is. Why was she here? Better yet, why wasn’t he saying anything?

“I-I-I-- what? Why are you here?” The woman laughed again, not bothering to hide her amusement. Shakil was confused and shocked beyond understanding.

“Why do you think?” She smirked. He let his arms fall to his sides and continued to stare at her.

“I honestly have no idea,” he muttered, running a hand through his hair. Then paused suddenly. “A-are you going to help me?”

Alois | The Tunnels

His eyes trailed back over to the woman, she was hugging her arms to herself and looking over all upset and confused. He didn’t blame her, and he supposed he should explain what was happening.

“Welcome to the underground, that was Liam. Our leader. Don’t mind his attitude,” he started, turning to walk down the damp tunnels and expecting the girl to follow. Which she did. “You’ll be safe as long as you stay with us. If we can get our act together we may be able to take our city back.”

He eyed the two shady forms down the tunnel. Manly forms, despite the fact one was crumpled against the wall. No doubt they were Arjana and Dismas. The man was a wreck. Alois had been told to watch his tongue around him, but the little lord didn’t take orders from anyone. He’d watch his tongue if he wanted to.

“Yes, our city. I say we should give up trying to rescue the sad excuses for gods. If they can’t help themselves how can we expect them to help us?” He changed a glance at Dismas, who was glaring at him. “How cute, you think you can intimidate me.” He had said it more to himself than Dismas.

“Move along, child,” the broken immortal grumbled, still glaring at him. Alois was unfazed.

“You don’t want to see him if you keep talking,” Arjana chimed in. Alois shot him a look, one that was never a good look to get from Alois.

“Why, is he going to cry all over me? Be careful, he may drown you in his tears,” he mockingly warned the girl who was standing behind him. By the gods she was glaring at him too. These people were going to get headaches if they kept glaring like that. “He’s just about as useful as those so called ‘gods’.” Alois sniffed and turned his nose up.

“Alois--”

“How dare you, you little creep!” Dismas lunged at Alois, knocking them both to the floor. The little lord could have sworn he was about to throw up his own heart and stomach as his arms flew up to cover his face. Before Dismas could do any real damage the other man had pulled him off.

“H-how dare you t-touch me!” Alois scrambled to his feet and took a half-step behind the girl. The man only looked up at him for a second before burying his face in his hands. Maybe now was a good time for Alois to show the girl whose name he still didn’t know where she would be staying. If she wasn’t going to tell him her name he’d have to improvise. “Come along, Beth.”

Stupid immortals.

Neri | Oded’s Home

Neri groaned at the pain in her neck. Not as horrible as some of the pain she had been put through as of late, but still irritating. Her eyes slowly peeled open and she paused. This wasn’t the dungeon, and it wasn’t his room. Had it finally happened? Had Dismas kept his promise and saved her?

“D-Dizzy? Dizzy!” She swung her legs over the bed and pulled herself up, only to collapse back down on it with a thump. “Dizzy where are you!?” Her heart twisted happily every time she said his name. She desperately clawed her way standing.

“What in the seven rings of hell--” she looked up, and who she saw was definitely not Dismas. And it was definitely not someone she would have wanted to see.

“Stay away from me,” she choked out, sitting back on the bed behind her and trying to scramble away.

He eyed her, but didn’t make eye contact. The general looked nervous, but Neri was too frantic to notice. By now, the immortal was curled up and sobbing incoherent things to him. She was broken and she knew it-- what more could they want with her?

“A-are you okay?” Neri didn’t look up, or respond. “I’m not going to touch you. I-I swear on my honor- I’m not like that.” Still nothing from the sobbing mess of a woman. “You’re free to -um- walk around the house. J-just don’t leave. The last thing you need is Jakome --”

“Don’t say his name!” Her head snapped up, and her eyes went wide. “He’ll hear you, don’t say it. P-please.” She curled her knees up to her chin and hugged them as close to her as possible.

“My lady, we’re not near the palace... H-he can’t hear us.”

She narrowed a glare at him and rubbed her face with the palm of her hand. “N-no! You don’t understand! He hears everything. He-he had this way-- this way of showing up. W-when you think you’re safe he just shows up.” She buried her face back in her knees to quiet down her cries.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:30 am
View Likes
Shadowlight says...

Oded/His home:

I had been mildly terrified when I had opened the door to fine the goddess looking up at me, her green eyes wide with shock and terror. The look on her face had chilled me, her eyes.

-She thinks I’m going to hurt her like he did.....

I had tried my best to tell her I was nothing like Jakome, but as usual I didn’t think I succeeded.

Now this broken shell of a woman was sitting in the bed, rocking back and forth like a child. Something about her utter look of fear, the broken look in her demeanor pulled at my heartstrings. I stepped a little closer, she eyed me warily.

“L-lady,” I said praying I wouldn’t stutter too much. “Lady, I swear I shan’t touch you! You are safe here- for the time being.” I added uncertainly, who knew when Jakome would change his mind.

“He can’t hear us, really he can’t.” She continued to rock back and forth, not responding- it was beginning to worry me. “We are in my home, it’s on the western wall of the city. You are safe.” She looked up at me her green eyes fiery.

“No one is safe with that man! No one is safe from him, no matter where they are!” she began to cry hysterically then, my heart hammered in my chest.

-Oh gods.... she’s crying again.

I cleared my throat, not sure what to say next. I said the first thing that came to my mind.

“I’m Oded, my lady. If you need anything pl-please don’t hesitate to ask. I’m--”

“Stop it!” she cried angrily, I was taken aback.

“W-what?” her glare was almost as terrifying as Jakome’s, it made me squirm.

“Stop playing with me! What kind of sick sadistic bastard are you!? You beat my brother to death General Murtagh- and now this! That monster game me to you? What game are you playing? What do you want from me?!”

I stood there rooted to my place, speechless. I really shouldn’t have been surprised, she didn’t know I hadn’t wanted to hurt her brother, she didn’t know that Jakome had forced me to take her. How could she know? I began to pace, I always did that when uncomfortable- it made me look less so.

“I’m not playing with you.” I said quietly, deciding that transparency was the best thing now. “Jakome is bored with you for the moment. He has lost interest for some reason and he “gave” you to me for a few days.” I shuddered remembering the mans face, what he had been implying. “I never wanted you in the first place, I-I would never do that to a woman.”

Her rocking had stilled and she was only quietly sniffling now. She met my eyes then, they were two of the most striking eyes I had ever seen and they sent chills down my spine. They reminded me of something I couldn’t quite grasp at.

“Please don’t hurt me.” she whimpered pathetically, “Please, I don’t want to hurt anymore.”

“Lady I already said I won’t harm you.”

“Dizzy, where’s Dizzy?” she said, beginning her rocking again.

“Who’s Dizzy?” I asked brows furrowing.

“Dizzy, please I want Dizzy.”

I left her then, I didn’t know what else to do.

-Was she insane? Had Jakome completely broken her?

Oded/His home:

I had been mildly terrified when I had opened the door to fine the goddess looking up at me, her green eyes wide with shock and terror. The look on her face had chilled me, her eyes.

-She thinks I’m going to hurt her like he did.....

I had tried my best to tell her I was nothing like Jakome, but as usual I didn’t think I succeeded.

Now this broken shell of a woman was sitting in the bed, rocking back and forth like a child. Something about her utter look of fear, the broken look in her demeanor pulled at my heartstrings. I stepped a little closer, she eyed me warily.

“L-lady,” I said praying I wouldn’t stutter too much. “Lady, I swear I shan’t touch you! You are safe here- for the time being.” I added uncertainly, who knew when Jakome would change his mind.

“He can’t hear us, really he can’t.” She continued to rock back and forth, not responding- it was beginning to worry me. “We are in my home, it’s on the western wall of the city. You are safe.” She looked up at me her green eyes fiery.

“No one is safe with that man! No one is safe from him, no matter where they are!” she began to cry hysterically then, my heart hammered in my chest.

-Oh gods.... she’s crying again.

I cleared my throat, not sure what to say next. I said the first thing that came to my mind.

“I’m Oded, my lady. If you need anything pl-please don’t hesitate to ask. I’m--”

“Stop it!” she cried angrily, I was taken aback.

“W-what?” her glare was almost as terrifying as Jakome’s, it made me squirm.

“Stop playing with me! What kind of sick sadistic bastard are you!? You beat my brother to death General Murtagh- and now this! That monster game me to you? What game are you playing? What do you want from me?!”

I stood there rooted to my place, speechless. I really shouldn’t have been surprised, she didn’t know I hadn’t wanted to hurt her brother, she didn’t know that Jakome had forced me to take her. How could she know? I began to pace, I always did that when uncomfortable- it made me look less so.

“I’m not playing with you.” I said quietly, deciding that transparency was the best thing now. “Jakome is bored with you for the moment. He has lost interest for some reason and he “gave” you to me for a few days.” I shuddered remembering the mans face, what he had been implying. “I never wanted you in the first place, I-I would never do that to a woman.”

Her rocking had stilled and she was only quietly sniffling now. She met my eyes then, they were two of the most striking eyes I had ever seen and they sent chills down my spine. They reminded me of something I couldn’t quite grasp at.

“Please don’t hurt me.” she whimpered pathetically, “Please, I don’t want to hurt anymore.”

“Lady I already said I won’t harm you.”

“Dizzy, where’s Dizzy?” she said, beginning her rocking again.

“Who’s Dizzy?” I asked brows furrowing.

“Dizzy, please I want Dizzy.”

I left her then, I didn’t know what else to do.

-Was she insane? Had Jakome completely broken her?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugC8Fb5z ... re=related - that is the song she was playing)

Sian/the tunnels, then Alois’ home:

“H-how dare you touch me!” the young boy cried half scrambling behind me. I froze where I was.

-Immortal?! That man glaring was an immortal!?

I looked at the broken man standing before me, he had so much pain and suffering in his eyes- but yet still so much fire. They frightened me. there was a pause where one might have counted to ten then the man slumped back against the wall, burying his head in his hands. The boy who was my master now came out from behind my skirts.

“Come along Beth.” he said, beginning to walk off.

-Beth?

It took me a moment to realize he meant me, I blinked then followed- what other choice did I have?

We walked along the tunnels for a few moments in silence, he looked to be fuming and I- I was lost in my own thoughts.

-What had happened back there? Why did this boy hate that man? And why did he buy me? what did he want from me?

I looked at the back of his fair head, he was a sweet looking young thing- except for his outburst.

“Sian,” I said quietly, he stopped and turned.

“What?” I twisted my hands in my skirt.

“My name is Sian, not Beth my lord.” he shrugged, then started off again.

“Good to know. Come on, we’re almost there.” the tunnel ended at a slight stairway, the boy mounted them first and pushed open a door at the top, he looked down to me.

“Well come on!” he said impatiently. I quickly followed and found myself in a richly furnished room, I gawked in spite of myself. Then my eyes fell on something in one corner of the room, a Hammered Dulcimer- my favorite instrument.

“Oh,” I breathed, it was truly a magnificent instrument, gilded in gold with ivory rakes. The boy looked at me, his eye brows raising slightly.

“Do you like it?” he asked slowly making his way over towards it, beckoning to me. I looked admiringly down at it- it was the finest looking one I had ever seen.

“Yes, my lord- it’s-it’s amazing.” He looked at me then, expression changing slightly.

“Have at it.” he said suddenly handing me the rakes. “What’s mine is yours.” he smiled then, he had a wonderfully sweet boyish smile. I took the rakes gently, and faced the instrument, I looked up at him unsure.

“Go ahead, play. Let me hear what you can do.” I smiled faintly. Then slowly, but quickly picking up the speed I let the ivory rakes dance up and down the strings.

The Dulcimer sang the purest song I had ever heard and my heart gave a small hopeful thrill- music always soothed me. I lost myself to the notes for what seemed like eternity, and when the music slowly faded away, I looked to the young lord.

"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

Everything has a consequence and every consequence leads to death.
— kattee