z

Young Writers Society

Checkmate (Started)

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:08 am
Sassafras says...

Okay, I think this is a fair amount of people. We'll start tomorrow.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:05 am
Sassafras says...

(Oh, and just a quick note for you, Zoomie: The King is going to have a few things he’s going to have to say. One of them is them is the speech. Other than the mandatory things the King won’t be controlled by anyone but you.)

Armaita Lee – Bishop

The meeting bells woke me up.

This was unusual in two ways because I usually wake on my own and also because, after confirming my suspicion with a quick glance out the window, it was still night time. I could have only went to bed a few hours ago. What could the King possibly want at this ungodly hour? I wanted to stay in bed, probably like many other people sleeping in the castle, but I couldn’t. If King Cassius was summoning us all this late (early?) it must be extremely important.

So instead of complaining further I swung my legs over the edge of my bed, stretched a bit, grabbed my robe, and headed out the door. I fit in easily with the rest of the pieces, rubbing their eyes and yawning.

“What do you think the King wants,” I asked softly, mostly whispering. The person next to me shrugged in resign but didn’t offer an answer. That I could understand. He was probably just too tired to talk.

“Whatever Cassius’ interrupting my sleep for better be important,” Quain scoffed. I winced at him calling the King simply “Cassius”. He had so much disrespect, it made my stomach clench. He then stopped and ran a hand through his hair. It was then I realized his eye patch wasn’t on but his hair covered the missing eye and I didn’t get to see much. Oh well I suppose.

We all made it to the main room quick enough, and there the King was, fully dressed, along with Queen Nicole, also clothed and looking wide awake. I suddenly felt uncomfortable and awkward in my nightgown and robe. Against my own will my face flushed red.

“Good morning everyone,” King Cassius greeted evenly.

Everyone bowed simultaneously and uttered a quick “Good morning, King Cassius, sir.”

“I ordered this meeting so early because I myself was just woken up out of sleep to receive and urgent message from the White Crown’s Kingdom.”

I gasped despite myself. A message from the White Crown’s Kingdom could only mean one thing…

“They have declared war,” he sighed. “We must prepare to leave for the battle field in twenty four hours. So at this time tomorrow,” he paused and closed his eyes. “Be ready to fight. That is all.”

He turned and left, the Queen holding onto his arm tenderly. No one moved until a few minutes after the sound of his door shutting faded away.

I let out a breath I didn’t even realize I was holding.

“Another war,” I questioned myself out loud. “We just fought a war... Why so soon?”
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:39 pm
Redfang18 says...

Hector Nightshade | Knight

I answered calmly, "Don't know, but damned if I know what the King has in mind." I held my face as serious as I could. Like most of us, I was slightly sleepy myself. However, I wasn't complaining about it. If the King orders full attention, then I would come without hesitation. Such is the honor of being a Knight.
The Bishop jumped at the sound of my voice, then looked at me in the eye, looking like she was ready to hit me.
I put my beaver down and chuckled secretly. It's hard for anyone to know what I was up to, but as a born Knight I have to do what I can to protect my King and Queen along with my own honor. I went off to look to Night Rider.
Night Rider touched my chestplate with her snout.
I removed my helmet and gauntlets and stroked Night Rider's mane. I whispered to her, "Soon, you and I shall go to war against the entire White Kingdom in the name of the Black Kingdom. You and I, against the pawns and all else of the White Kingdom." I kissed her head, then stroked her mane again with affection. Night Rider was my best steed, so I put my life in her hooves.
Look down and show some mercy if you can.
Look down, look down, upon your fellow man.

~~~Les Miserables

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:06 am
OnigiriChan says...

Arie Tan, Pawn

War.

I've never been in an actually war before. I've trained, yes, with the masters to prepare for this day but to actually see it come. To actually fight was a different thing entirely. I could feel my hands start to shake, along with my body. I was scared, but who wouldn't be. Other than the Knights. Hector and Machi looked ready to go right now at this very moment. I watched as Hector went out, probably to check on his horse, and the rest of the group was slowly dispersing.

The Bishops and Rooks probably already had a battle plan, I could see in both Armaita's and Sai's face that they were, at the least, not too worried about the game plan. They'd all been here before me, lived through war. The only other person who was inexperienced as I was Ram, the new kid. I walk over to him slowly, as he just seems to be starring into the distance. I call his name and he jumps a bit before turning.

"Hey," I call softly. "This is my first time too..."

Machidiel Maion, Knight

War, finally! It's seemed like forever since I've been able to exercise my skills in battle, since Ezekiel has had an opportunity to really stretch his legs. Hector left, definitely to the stables, and I was no surprise that I was to follow his lead. I got to the stables a few moments after he and, after uttering a quick hello, went straight to Ezekiel.

"Guess what, boy, we got us a big day tomorrow. Another war, finally."

Eze brayed loudly and trotted in place for a while. A wide smile took over my face and I gently combed my fingers through his hair. I put a kiss to his nose before turning to walk away. Hector was only a few steps ahead of me, also heading back, so I jogged up to him, content on holding a small conversation seeing as we were both headed the same way.

"The White Crown's declaring war again," I let myself smirk a bit. "How do you feel about that?"

Of course I already had an idea, already knew what his answer would be. He is a Knight, after all.
"If all our life is but a dream, fantastic posing greed, then we should feed our jewelry to the sea. For diamonds do appear to be just like broken glass to me." Northern Downpour

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:18 am
OnigiriChan says...

Sai Chola, Rook

War. The first thing I think after hearing the King's speech is that it's come time again for me to make Brane proud. To once again prove myself to his ghost, that I can live up to him, live up to all the good things he's done for this kingdom. I grab the pendant around my neck, the classic Rook symbol, a constant reminder of who I am, who Brane was, and what I must do. All the veterans seemed, at the least, ready for the war. But there were still a few newbies, one of them was looking extremely lost as of now but, if I remember correctly, she always looked that way, Arie. There's another too, the nineteen year old, though his name I can't recall. Ram, I think, but I'm not sure. I see Arie walk over to talk to him, they'd both try to call each other down. That's good, maybe they can balance each other out.

I yawn and stretch my hands high over my head before heading over to where Armaita was standing. She looks up at my presence and smiles.

"Hey," I say casually. "Seems we'll be working together again soon, huh? I'm looking forward to it."

Arie Tan, Pawn

War.

I've never been in an actually war before. I've trained, yes, with the masters to prepare for this day but to actually see it come. To actually fight was a different thing entirely. I could feel my hands start to shake, along with my body. I was scared, but who wouldn't be. Other than the Knights. Hector and Machi looked ready to go right now at this very moment. I watched as Hector went out, probably to check on his horse, and the rest of the group was slowly dispersing.

The Bishops and Rooks probably already had a battle plan, I could see in both Armaita's and Sai's face that they were, at the least, not too worried about the game plan. They'd all been here before me, lived through war. The only other person who was inexperienced as I was Ram, the new kid. I walk over to him slowly, as he just seems to be starring into the distance. I call his name and he jumps a bit before turning.

"Hello," I call softly. "You're Ram, right?"

He nods.

"Right. This is my first time too..."
"If all our life is but a dream, fantastic posing greed, then we should feed our jewelry to the sea. For diamonds do appear to be just like broken glass to me." Northern Downpour

143 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 143
Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:31 am
LovelessSummer says...

Machidiel Maion / Knight

War, finally! It's seemed like forever since I've been able to exercise my skills in battle, since Ezekiel has had an opportunity to really stretch his legs. Hector left, definitely to the stables, and I was no surprise that I was to follow his lead. I got to the stables a few moments after he and, after uttering a quick hello, went straight to Ezekiel.

"Guess what, boy, we got us a big day tomorrow. Another war, finally."

Eze brayed loudly and trotted in place for a while. A wide smile took over my face and I gently combed my fingers through his hair. I put a kiss to his nose before turning to walk away. Hector was only a few steps ahead of me, also heading back, so I jogged up to him, content on holding a small conversation seeing as we were both headed the same way.

"The White Crown's declaring war again," I let myself smirk a bit. "How do you feel about that?"

Of course I already had an idea, already knew what his answer would be. He is a Knight, after all.

Ram Velasquez / Pawn

I guess it's finally time. Time to plunge in and fight. I've never been in war and, honestly, I don't care for it much. I'd rather pain, but, in the same breath, I will fight with all that I have... even if all I have is nothing at all.

"Hello, you're Ram right?"

I raise my head in attention at the voice speaking next to me. I look over and see Arie, her usual distant expression on her face and though I know she's talking to me, looking at me, her eyes are focused on some point that's not her face. I nod.

"Right. This is my first time too..."

She means the war. I relax a bit, let my shoulders drop, and give a weak smile.

"Mine too. I'm the youngest here. It's scary."

"I know what you mean."

I laugh lightly and run a hand through my hair. She just sighs and looks wistfully at the ceiling.

"We can stick together though. Watch each other's backs. Help each other get promoted."

"If we survive that long," she sighs. The comment makes me wince but I realize that she must be right.

"Yeah... if." My mood's suddenly sour. I grimace and narrow my eyes at nothing. "Even so..." I shake my head and smile again. "Good luck out there, Arie."

I turn and leave before she can reply, but for some reason I doubt she was going to. As I'm walking away I turn and watch as she practically floats across the floor and up the stairs to her room.

Before we leave for war I'll just have to talk to the vet, namely the Knights, and get a few tips.

I don't want to die...
LoVeLeSs I review short stories and novels.

Always remember that you’re unique. Just like everyone else.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:13 pm
Redfang18 says...

Hector Nightshade | Knight

Maion was no doubt more like the show-face kind of Knight, but I never said that in front of her. I knew from my father that it's the face that betrays those who plan. Both my parents were Knights, but a relative of my father's was killed during the last war. The steed of my father's relative was Night Rider's grandsire. I put my gauntlets back on and went to the armory. I took my sword and shield, preparing myself for battle. I've waited since training for this moment. It's both Night Rider's and my moment of glory. Like all Knights in my family before me, I planned to die with honor and in glory.

Nicole "Nikki" Meadowsweet | Queen

From the balcony during my husband's speech, I could tell Hector was waiting for this moment. He and I were Knighthood friends, so I knew he would keeping himself in his armor for this war. My husband knew I was a Knight myself before I became Queen. I had my moment of glory when I managed to get promoted from Pawn to Knight, but I was about to have my true moment of glory when the White Kingdom is Checkmated. I was ready for the war, so I was willing to do anything to avenge my father. The White Kingdom will pay for the death of my father. My father's death will not be in vain. This I wanted to make sure with my every being.
Look down and show some mercy if you can.
Look down, look down, upon your fellow man.

~~~Les Miserables

As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do.
— Andrew Carnegie