z

Young Writers Society

Virtues of the Brutal

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:04 pm
Camulaeus says...

You need not eat, you need not sleep. There is no break, no moment of rest. From birth, nothing but obedience has been asked, and nothing but obedience has been given. It's a miracle if you made it this far, Let's see if you can make it any farther...

The year is 750 BCE, nigh but a few months after the death of the lawgiver, Lykurgos, who transformed Spartan society. Since he came, Sparta became the epitome of efficiency- the weak don't survive, the dishonorable are killed by their own family. Since birth, you have been trained to adhere to the laws, and that the greatest glory attainable is to die for your home country. Recreation is a concept unknown to you, only the pain of training.Since you were seven, you've had to live through winters with only one garment, eat nothing but the infamous black broth twice a day unless you can steal some more, and kill your fellow children to survive.

The reason you've lived is because you have a gift :an arête; a warrior virtue. This gift gives you the skills you need to survive, whether it be by having the strength to kill all in your way, the cunning to steal a sufficient amount of food, or even the ability to inspire courage in others, it is yours to use.

Now your'e reaching the eve of your time as a child, your'e entering the barracks, where you'll be expected to be ready to fight and die at any moments notice. It's the same day as any other, except the barracks receive an unexpected guest: an Ephor: a member of the elite five who had the power to dethrone a king. He tells you of a rebellion of the helots, Spartan slaves, in the southwest farmlands. You, and your barrack-mates have been chosen by your arête, and are being dispatched to quell any uprising. It's a small group of six, armed with next to nothing, with one purpose: find the ringleaders of the rebellion, and annihilate them.

Profiles:

Spartans:

Name:

Appearance: (No scene,and Anime is only an option when you absolutely can't find a fitting human model)

Arête: (Please choose one of the following: Courage, Cunning, Speech, Speed, Strength, Wisdom or Endurance. If you see that someone already has that arête, please choose another one! )

Personality: (How do they react to the strictness? They have to obey, but do they do it with blind passion, habit of mind, indifference? Will they kill without mercy, or give prayers to the dead?)

Weapons: (This is during the Bronze Age of Sparta )

Other:

Helots:

Name:

Appearance: (No scene,and Anime is only an option when you absolutely can't find a fitting human model)

Position: ( Ringleader, Disciple, Rouge)

Personality: (Pro- Revolution? How do they react to Spartans?)

History:

Weapon:

Up for love?:

Other:

Spots:

Spartans:
-Courage-
-Cunning-*coco
-Speed-
-Strength- Subject Blue
-Endurance-
-Speech- Camulaeus (Profile) - Camulaeus (YWS'er)
-Wisdom- Creativemuse1

Helots:

Ringleader- SisterItaly
Ringleader-
Disciple- Creativemuse1
Disciple-
Disciple-
Disciple-

(More spots can be added!)

Rules:

1. Normal SB rules : no modern swearing, no god-modding, no sex etc.
2. If your'e DYING to have a Spartan, and somebody already has that spot: send me a PM with your profile and I'll see if we can make an exception
3. Please adhere to the customs of the Spartans: the words "rebellious" and "unruly" are BIG No-no's/

Let's make this SB great!
Last edited by Camulaeus on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
With friends and courage one can stand against all foes, for neither man nor God can conquer those who are not alone

"109 in the sky but the pigs won't quit"

GLBT it doesn't matterone thing doesn't change who we are

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:09 am
Leahweird says...

Do you want us to PM profiles right away? Or only after all the spots have been taken?

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:21 am
SisterItaly says...

I'm in-- female ringleader, mine *clings* (Also, Ffff I didn't know you were back into SBing, WHY YOU NO INFORM ME?)

Name: Lystra (Lie-stra)

Position: Ring Leader

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Personality: Ly believes man was created to be equal, and not to hold power over one another. Women were made to be mothers and men were made to be fathers-- not owners or masters. When speaking to someone she'll refer to them as 'brother' or 'sister'. She'll guide 'her people' with a gentle hand but she does expect something of them in return. Their faith and hope.

She tries to even the workload and work things by people's strengths. Ly does have a soft spot for children, though. She doesn't expect much from them and more or less lets them run off and play. Almost as if she wants them to have the childhood she couldn't.

She's tough, to say the least. No matter what you do to her she'd never give up her people and the only thing that could stop her from trying to free them would be her own death.

Weapons: Despite being a pacifist she always has a dagger on her person. You can never be too safe.

Up for love?: Sure? Really, all she cares about is her people.

Other:
Last edited by SisterItaly on Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

5 Reviews

Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:01 pm
Camulaeus says...

Leah - I'm sorry for not being more clear about this : You only PM your profile if someone already took the spot you wanted. I'd like to have one of each, but if your'e really wanting something already claimed, send me your profile and I'll decide if the arete could be shared. Don't worry: I'll ask several people to avoid bias.
With friends and courage one can stand against all foes, for neither man nor God can conquer those who are not alone

136 Reviews

Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:59 pm
View Likes
Leahweird says...

That's what it sounded like but I wanted to be sure. Here goes.

Name: Delphine

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Arête: Endurance

Personality: Delphine only just avoided being exposed as a baby. Everyone assumed that he would be picked off, but he never was. He survived, even though he never did develop a physic good enough by Spartan standards. Eventually the elders decided that his arête of cunning balanced out his apparent weakness and allowed him to join the military.

Weapons: Surprisingly good with regular weapons, but even better with a knife.

Other: Are we allowed to be “shield-buddies”? Cause it is historically accurate...
Last edited by Leahweird on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:33 pm
*coco says...

*Sorry Leah, but I've already claimed Cunning. Please forgive me :( *

Name: Leoni II (Leon-eye)

Arête: Cunning

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Personality: Leoni is a brilliant strategist. His cunning intelligence has helped to keep him alive all these years. He works by outwitting his enemies through spreading confusion, pulling them into his confidence before leading them into a cleverly concealed trap. He ultimately fights for glory and nearly always obeys orders – unless he feels that he has a better suggestion. He is a malicious warrior and will kill without mercy because that is how he was raised.

Weapons: his father’s long spear and a shield with a Ram painted on the front

Other: His father, Leoni I was a famous Spartan warrior who was slain in battle. Leoni worships the Greek messenger god Hermes – the god of thievery and cunning wiles. He is up for love.
Last edited by *coco on Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you know what my heart says now? It says that I should forget about politics and be with you. No matter what. You're a true Queen, a Queen any King would kill for." - Prince Francis ♕

136 Reviews

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:42 pm
Leahweird says...

Oh, sorry. I didn't see that. I'm actually okay with that, because I'm not sure of my ability to play a truely cunning character anyway. Can I switch to endurance? Anyone have a problem with that?

5 Reviews

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:45 pm
Camulaeus says...

If no one speaks up: go for it! I'm sorry that you had to switch, thanks for being happy to do so! Oh, and Shield buddies are allowed: just check with the other SB'er is OK with it first!

130 Reviews

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:47 pm
*coco says...

Thanks so much Leah! By the way, I'd be more than happy to be your shield buddy :D
"Do you know what my heart says now? It says that I should forget about politics and be with you. No matter what. You're a true Queen, a Queen any King would kill for." - Prince Francis ♕

136 Reviews

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:57 pm
Leahweird says...

As long as you now what that means ;)

130 Reviews

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:06 pm
*coco says...

Ah, good point. I really have no idea :P

136 Reviews

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:24 pm
View Likes
Leahweird says...

You might want to reconsider then. I can't remember the Greek term, but "shield buddies" is euphamism. While in Phalanx formation, your shield is actually supposed to cover the guy next to you. The Spartans encouraged romantic relationships between warriors in the same group and put them next to eachother in battle as added incentive. So yeah...

130 Reviews

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:07 pm
*coco says...

Haha! Why not, maybe my character can be conflicted

136 Reviews

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:34 pm
gleek456 says...

You know what? I'll join! :) Profile will be up soon. Save a spot for a disciple.
Last edited by gleek456 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
YOU'VE GOT THAT ONE THING

"I never expected that I should be a queen so soon."
— Alice's Adventures in Wonderland