z

Young Writers Society

Zombies!

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:45 am
View Likes
Celdover says...

I feel sorry for the girl hiding under the boulder. She's just like me, but wimpier, surrounded by people who know what they're doing but not being able to do anything herself. In spite of years of apprenticeship under Kyll I still have not improved my skills, and for that I am ashamed.

But when in YWS do as the mods do, and so I begin to follow the footsteps of my mentor, Jagged, and proceed to angst in italics.
Lumi: I hate it when plans require faith in competence.
Jagged: You should know better by now.

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:34 am
View Likes
Dreamwalker says...

There was enough smoke to wake the whole storybook's forum.

Walker fiddled with her papers nonchalantly, wondering if such was a good time to deliver her report to Kitty. Of course, no time was better than the present! So she kicked the few scattered words around her feet, straightened her badge of oldie pride and walked forward, trying hard to ignore the explosions and weird, ghastly noises which were all rather detrimental to her cause.

"Mam!" Saluting, she reached Kitty's side. "The paper's you wanted on the slow declining... what happened to him?"

"He got hit by Orphanage," she shrugged. "Pity, I know."

"Shouldn't we help him?"

"He'll get up." she was shuffling through the papers now. "Eventually."

"Guys," he squeaked. "Seriously."
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:37 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

"Darnit," Rosey grumbled from her watchful position over YWS, surrounded by mountains of paperwork. She wasn't sure how much of it was YWS and how much of it was her homework. Things got just a bit messy in her neck of the woods.

But from what she could see, Chat had exploded with gushing zombies and was making everybody scatter. She could not leave this alone.

A bag packed with some homework and YWS related papers later, she was a unicorn galloping down towards the storybook section.

Of course, all of thirty feet away from her destination, she began hearing squees. She was pink. And a unicorn. And, apparently, had to be glomped.

'Don't they remember unicorns have horns and hooves?' she though, reeling back and knocking down as many of the zombies as she could.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:48 am
View Likes
Flux says...

She had not been seen for a while; in fact, her increased absence had declared her AWOL. The true story, though, lay in the infestation that followed in the days after her mysterious return.

She had woken with very little recollection of the months preceding her mysterious return. In fact -- as she rolled onto her side, clutching a hand to her aching head -- she had no recollection of how she even got there, crumpled on the rough stalks of corn the covered the hard ground. They jabbed and poked into her back painfully, urging her into a sitting position.

For a long moment, much like the cliche novel protagonist, she stared blankly around her, clutching onto any thought or memory she had. There were blurred scenes that passed by in a flash, blurs of blacks and whites and shades of gray. They all seemed so very dull. Her stomach lurched at the thought of a world without YWS. She longed to be back in the warm, cozy environment.

Her eyes skimmed across the murky environment. A thick hazy fog had settled across the horizon. As she struggled onto her knees, scuffing the thick dirt and clay from her hands, the fog scuttled away wistfully, before congregating back around her knees and thighs.

Across the barren expanse this character watched, nothing standing out a particular amount. It wasn't until they fell upon a sign post that rose above the fog. The once clean-cut, snow-white sign looked scratched and battered. Various slurs were scrawled across it in thick, bright bolds and wobbly italics. She turned away in disgust, her eyes sore at the sights of the overly exuberant "LOOOOOOL"s with one capital 'O' too many; or the OMGs that made her ashamed to every create a sentence with those three letters again. As quickly as her eyes skimmed away, though, she couldn't help but noticing one tiny little detail.

Her stomach lurched at the thought. She forced her eyes to quickly check the sign, to confirm if it was the truth.

It was.

"Welcome Guest!
"We are an online writing community for young writers with our average age around 18! Click here to learn more.
Register/ Login
"

YWS had fallen to ruin.

She feared it had been her coming that had caused it. But she would put an end to it. She stalked beneath the entrance gate, preparing to be met with utter silence. But instead, she heard the quietest mutterings, most unintelligible. It sounded like a choir, voices united together in an eerie chant.

"Hi! My name is ..."

"... genres are fantasy and science fiction ..."

"... I'm sixteen."

"LOL! My name is ... nice to meet you!"

A loud crash alerted her ears to dangers ahead.

"Hey! Follow, follow! Follow me too!" Her legs fell to jelly, urging her immediately to run back out of the Login and just forget all about this.

But her subconscious urged her forward; partly because she knew that YWS could still be saved, if only she could make it to Storybooks, and partly because she figured that it was only one. How hard can it be to ward off? she thought.

The thing began gaining speed, sprinting towards her, arms outstretched.

Then another.

And another.

"An ickle Newbie!"

"I'm ... not new ...," she tried to mutter, shaking her hands in front of her, as though it would create an invisible force-field between her and these -- theses ... members.

They began to multiple. More and more. She was outnumbered -- twenty to one.

"Let me show you around!"

"I haven't seen you before!"

"... what did you say your name was?"

She was confused, trying so hard to answer all these simple questions at once. But the sheer amount of them became daunting. Her knees began to buckle. Her thoughts were fighting to be heard through the incessant buzz of their voices as they gained on her, creating a tightly packed circle, asking more and more questions, none of which were being answered.

"I'm ..."

"... nice to meet you, whatever-your-name-is."

She tried to reply, raising her voice. "It's Flux ... I used to be LaReina ... I got a name-change."

"Oh!" They all shouted in unison, as though her response explained so many things in life -- like why cheese still tastes good, despite the fact that it's, well, cheese.

The crowd broke a little, muttering amongst themselves, laughing, giggling, carrying on -- inside jokes that she'd been left out of, making her feel lost -- "out-of-the-loop". She didn't know how to join the conversation. All she could do was retreat. Remove herself from the cacophony and head towards Storybooks, where she knew she'd find sanctity.

"Wait -- Flux!" One shouted above the crowd as Flux tripped over her feet, retreating.

"W-what ..." the confused girl stammered, looking over her shoulder as she began to back up more quickly.

"We haven't had a chance to 'like' your post yet!"

"L-like my post?"

The words were out of her mouth before she could stop them. They all looked at each other, their eyes glinting evilly. They let out a shrill chorus, an ominous, italicized, "LIKE!" She covered her ears, crying out in pain, falling to her knees.

They were coming at her, gaining quickly. She shrunk lower to the ground, as though that would help her any, clutching her head tighter, her eyes squinting closed.

Suddenly, light burst through the sky. She watched it, awestruck, as one of the Junior Members was struck to the ground. They crumpled, a smoking pile of words, and lay frozen, their expression unseeing, their eyes glassy as a fish. A hand snatched onto Flux's shoulder from the fog and pulled her away from the Login page, and through a doorway.

She fell out on the other side onto the ground. She struggled for breath for a few moments, before she looked up through her confusion, and saw familiar faces.

Slightly disheveled, a little bit alarmed, but otherwise the same -- minus an avatar change. But she recognized the names -- and the colours.

The Greens had come to save her!

"Thank the Admins!" Flux crashed onto feet of Kitty who stood in front of her. "You've saved me from those awful, nasty, Junior Members!"

Beware the long-poster zombie!

I promise [i]none
of my later posts will be nearly this long ... I just needed to make an entrance! :smt002 And, well, once the juices get flowing ... and you've got muse ... Well ...

Sorry!

But this explains my long absence ... I'm glad that you all understand -- it was the ZOMBIES![/i]
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.

Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth."

-- Oscar Wilde

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:02 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

Spoiler! :
Switching to past tense. I keep screwing up present~

Lumi twitched, trying to budge the Orphanage off of him.

Yeah, that sucker wasn't going anywhere.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

1272 Reviews

Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:10 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

A well placed back-kick sent a zombie flying, and somewhere in the distance there was a thump. Wheeling around to see what it had hit— while conveniently jumping over some slain zombies to get away from a group trying to get on her back. Hopefully they would wake up, de-zombified and back to their normal selves.

The sight she saw reminded her of the Wizard of Oz. Only, instead of the Wicked Witch of the East caught under a house, it was Lumi, caught under Orphanage

Well then.

Rosey began sending several members into the word as hard as she could, hearing a loud creeeeak as the word threatened to topple over. And now that the group was somewhat thinned, she could properly take off towards the trapped moderator.

A final kick, and the word fell on its side.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:20 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

Lumi gasped, his lungs filling with precious, beautiful--albeit a little funky from the smell of cheesy zombies--air. He stretched his arms and legs and jumped to his feet, cracking his neck back and forth. Kitty filmed through papers on her desk.

"Were you really going to leave that thing on m--"

"--you got out, didn'tcha?"

"Well, yeah! But only because of a prancing pink un...icorn..." He paused, thinking to himself. This would be a hard one to tell his grandkids one day. But he shuffled the thought from his head and instead climbed on top of Orphanage, standing proudly on the word. "Yeah! Doesn't feel so great, does it?"

Tenyo raised an eyebrow. "You poetry mods are awfully peculiar."

Kyllorac scoffed. "Careful, General. We don't like the idea of you dropping big words on Us any more than We like the idea of Charlie frying Us with his laser."

"I suppose you could say that, for General Tenyo, brevity is the soul of hit!"

The laser fired, of course. Everyone ducked.

"So this small talk is fascinating and all, and I love hanging out with a bunch of greenies and their cohorts, but can I just suggest that we do something about the zombie horde outside?"

Everyone turned. Lumi stopped squishing his boot into Orphanage's face. Flux stood there, staring sheepishly.

"What? There is a legitimate zombie horde coming after us! Ask Rosey!"

Lumi looked at the girl standing near him who had been, just minutes ago, a unicorn. He raised an eyebrow. "Where do you keep the horn?"
-Shinji Moon

1272 Reviews

Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:53 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

"In my bag," she said cheerfully-without-detectable-sarcasm, looking at her nails. They'd gotten damaged from all the hoof pounding she'd done. And the smell. "Anyway, she's right. I managed to knock out a few dozen of them, and the rest are squished under this thing—" she jerked her head to the Orphanage to clear up what she meant "—but they're not exactly slow."

"What do you mean?" Flux asked. Dreamwalker had come up behind her.

Rosey shrugged one shoulder. "How fast can you run?"

"If you can carry us..." Lumi started, a wink in Rosey's direction already completed.

She Glared at him. "Absolutely not— especially you, giant."

Lumi just looked offended at the comment.

"So," Rosey said, looking between everybody then to a group of zombies who had gotten word of a pink unicorn in the Storybooks area visible in the distance. "I'd suggest we make up our minds where to go quickly."

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:09 am
View Likes
Charlie II says...

"Well," said Charlie, "we're still rather under-equipped."

"Speak for yourself," Kyll replied spinning the .38 round in his/her hand.

Charlie ignored Them. "Why doesn't Rosey lead us back to resources? There's bound to be something useful there."

Rosey snorted and pawed at the ground. "It's not a weapons cabinet, you know!"

"There are a lot of stickies there," Lumi wondered aloud. "We could use them to slow the zombies down..."

"And it would be best for us to STICK together," Charlie grinned. The Rather Fun Stun Pun Gun went off in his hand and obliterated the rock Celtica was hiding behind. She got up and sheepishly rejoined the group.
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:13 am
View Likes
Pigeon says...

After a quick head count to ensure that no one had gotten lost along the way, the group began to carefully make their way back to Resources, the mist curling around their limbs and swirling into shapes around them. They hurried forward in single file, with Lumi in the lead. Rosey started up a marching call-and-response song and everyone's spirit's began to lift, until Lumi suddenly stopped. There was a sort of pile up behind him as each successive person walked into the person in front, and the song petered to the stop. Rosey peered around to see what Lumi was staring at. It was an arm. The fog began to lift, revealing that the arm was attached to a body.

Rosey shuddered, and there were gasps and screams from the rest of the group as they all began to see.

"Is it a YWSer?" Rosey murmured.

Lumi shook his head. "No, it's zombie."

"Is it dead?"

"What do you mean? It's UNdead. But someone's stunned it. We should move on before it gets back up."

As they slowly began to move forwards again more bodies were revealed, one every couple of meters. All of them were stunned zombies, some of which chattered feebly at them as they passed. Then, through the fog, they saw an upright figure. It turned to face them.

"Hi! :) " It said.

Kyll raised his .38. "Did it just verbalise a smilie?"

"I just said hi." The figure replied innocently. "I'm Pigeon."

Dreamwalker started forward, saying "Hey Pige!", but Lumi stopped her.

"Pigeon, do you know anything about these stunned zombies?" Lumi asked.

"Oh, yeah. That was me. I stunned them."

"So, you took on all these zombies, without getting even a scratch? Because, you know that even a scratch can infect you."

"LOL! You think I'm a zombie?" Pigeon cried.

"Say that again?"

"I said: You think I'm a zombie?"

"Is that all?"

"OMG, why can't you just believe me?" Pigeon clapped a hand over her mouth. "Did I say OMG??? I never say OMG!! What's happening?!"

Kyll shook his head. "Text speak and too much punctuation. Not a good sign. We should knock her out and get going."

"But she hasn't transformed fully into a zombie yet!" Dreamwalker protested.

"She's right." said Rosey, "We should take her with us; there may be a cure at Resources."

Lumi groaned. "It's risky - she could finish transforming and turn on us at any minute, but I guess we don't have much of a choice. Charlie, come up here to the front of the line. Pigeon, walk in front of us. Charlie, keep that PSG aimed at her, but try not to let it go off unless she turns on us."

"I promise I don't want to hurt anyone..." Pigeon began tearfully.

"Shut it." Snapped Lumi, "and just hope that it's not too late for you. We've delayed too long already. Let's get a move on to Resources."
Last edited by Pigeon on Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reader, what are you doing?

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:47 am
View Likes
Charlie II says...

The mist ended as soon as the YWSers entered Resources.

Charlie never failed to be impressed whenever he visited that forum. Stone pillars reached up majestically from the marble floor to support a grand roof -- no expense had been spared in housing the most important treasure of all writers. The group's footsteps echoed around the forum as they walked towards the main entrance. Pidgeon led the way at PSG point, closely followed by Charlie.

"Ah, now I feel at home," said Rosey as she cantered forward, easily passing Charlie and Pigeon as she raced towards the golden entrance gates.

"Us too," added the confusing plurality that was Kyllorac.

"Where do you keep the stickies around here?" asked Dreamwalker.

"Right there," said Lumi, pointing to the gigantic banners hanging above the entrance. "But we'll need to climb to the top to get them down. I'll need some help."

After a moment of apathy several YWSers raised their hands and volunteered.

"And after that," said Kitty15, "we should go and visit The Vault."

"The what?"

"Are you mad!?"

"Maybe," said Kitty15. "But what's the point in having the most powerful weapon known to writers if we don't use it?"
Last edited by Charlie II on Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

745 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:28 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Lumi hesitated--the others were quiet, except for Rosey and Kyllorac, who were looking through the bank for their missing partner. They'd been unnerved since the beginning of the invasion that GryphonFledgling had gone missing...but was now really the time to look for them? Convenient entry points said yes.

Lumi hummed, tapping a boot against the floor, and looked back up at the stickies. "First, let's set up a perimeter using the Sticky Hold." Kitty nodded. "Then, if that fails..." He looked around at all the faces, which, honestly, seemed to keep multiplying.

Charlie had the VFPSG pressed into Pigeon's cheek, which made her face look like a fish's.

"If that fails," he narrowed his eyes, "we open The Vault."

Celtica shrieked as a convenient round of thunder echoed outside.

"HEY!" Rosey snapped from across the bank, "No dramatic weather effects in Resources!"

"Fine, fine," Lumi said, and gave a nod to The Narrator. The Narrator looked away.

"Let's just do this," Dreamwalker said, and looked at Lumi. "Mr. Six-Foot-Five, you're on the bottom."

Celtica cheered, clapping her hands, which made Flux step away. "Human pyramid!"
-Shinji Moon

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:11 pm
View Likes
HomelessPorcupine says...

Unbeknownst to the brave YWS adventurers, the spiky one without a home was stuck to the side of one of the banners.

"What?"

"A spi-... huh?"

"Who's the person that keeps speaking?"

Celtica pointed at one of the banners. "I see it! Something is up there!"

I said unbeknownst! Why do characters never stick to the plot-line?

None of the YWSers were paying attention to The Narrator, for the dark mass on the banner had begun to speak:

"Why, common sense, a sabbatical?
Those zombies were quite fanatical.
The logging-out screen,
was close as a bean;
please get in touch... (*cough*) ... my viatical. "

"It sounds like the creature is PINING to get down." Charlie's PSG, which was still pointed at Celtica, fired.
Last edited by HomelessPorcupine on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I can't afford a teddy bear, so I sleep with this contact solution."

Taran: He will not succeed in this. Somehow, we must find a way to escape. We dare not lose hope.

Fflewddur: I agree absolutely, your general idea is excellent; it's only the details that are lacking.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:26 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I couldn't believe that they were so rude. All I had done was offer them hair ribbons and really, who didn't like hair ribbons?

My suburb of Fantasy was infected, there was no doubt about it. A lot of newbs leaving waste words all over the place instead of carrying them over to the Municipal Infodump where they belonged. Half-formed palaces were all over the place with turrets stuck out in all the wrong places and too many blue flowers. Fantasy was going to ruin but there was nothing an infected girl could do to stop it.

"Stella, Stella, what's going on?" a distressed new member ran up to me. I turned to give her my traditional smile and, 'Hi! Stella here!'

Her face slowly turned to a grimace and she ran, ran, back to the safe and grey environs of General Fiction. I wanted to tell her to come back, that there the zombies of blandness, hipsterism and non-capitalisation would devour a colourful little magic-believer like her. But alas.

There was nothing left for me here in my home- apart from, OMG a dress shop!

Yes, there it was. With the most glorious ballgowns in every shape and colour, and the currency appeared in my pocket. Untempered world-building had some benefits.

Suitably kitted out in an indigo chiffon gown and a pair of lovely pearl earrings, I was ready to face the world when-

my Emerald sense tingled.

Somebody was making a Wizard of Oz reference without me.

Resources. It was unchartered territory for a girl like me.

But it had to be done. I was going to restore YWS to its former glory, bring balance back to Fantasy. Just because I had been stripped of my green uniform again did not mean I couldn't help.

If only I were able to convince the other staff...
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

745 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:43 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

"HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO CALM DOWN WHEN THERE IS A HOLE IN MY CELTICA BELLY?!"

Lumi cringed. In fact, everyone cringed, but Lumi was the closest to her, and definitely got the full brunt of the shrill in her voice. "Just hold the heck still," he said, and furrowed his brow.

"Well?" Flux asked, impatiently tapping her foot in stop-action form.

"Well, it's my un-professional opinion that Celtica has had a hole punned through her."

Charlie wept.

"Yep. That's not gonna come out with a Tide-To-Go stick," Kitty said, but shook her head. "Once we're back in Storybooks, we can just give her a dose of Continuity Break and hope it'll all get better in the morning."

"Hello?" called the mysterious banner porcupine, "I'm still up here, you know."

"We'll get back to your subplot in a second 8D" Pigeon replied, doing cartwheels around the bank.

Lumi passed his hand straight through Celtica's not-belly and shrugged. "I guess Kitty's right. We'll just have to wait."

Celtica made a very clear, very distinct B | face. "You're just going to leave me like this?! I may just simply DIE from not being whole!"

"You certainly look hole enough to me!" The VFPSG fired off once more into the distance of the bank, garnering a yell of incoherent Canadian words from Rosey.

Lumi stared back up at the banners. If Kyllorac and Rosey had not been so busy searching for their third Partner In Crime, they could've just un-stickied them. "Kitty?"

"I don't mess with Resources. That's clearly a job for Matt Bellamy."

"Darn that Matt Bellamy."

Lumi sighed and got down on his hands and knees, readying for the next person to climb on top. "I guess we make a human pyrami--"

"AND NONE FOR GRETCHEN WIENERS, BYE!"

The bank shook as something enormous hit the side of the building. Resources was under attack by Mean Girls references.

Oh FRED.
-Shinji Moon

"For a short space of time I remained at the window watching the pallid lightnings that played above Mont Blanc and listening to the rushing of the Arve, which pursued its noise way beneath. The same lulling sounds acted as a lullaby to my too keen sensations; when I placed my head upon my pillow, sleep crept over me; I felt it as it came and blessed the giver of oblivion."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein