Young Writers Society

Amidst the Roses

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:23 pm
View Likes
thestorygirl says...

Asta|Middle Country

My bare feet moved silently on the crunchy leaves. My pupils growing large and small as I passed under the canopy of leaves. Towards the west a dark cloud was closing in quickly, almost unnaturally. There was a rustling in some trees near the close-by wall. There was a tower, but no visible guards. Perfect,I thought. Quickly, I dashed behind a bush near the wall, then climbed a tree with foliage perfect for hiding in.

Someone emerged from the trees. A man, about my age, with a sense of regality to him. He looked slightly depressed, probably due to the fact that he was on guard duty. I quietly took out an arrow and notched it into the string.

I jumped down in front of him. He looked scared, with a look on his face that made me want to giggle.

"Are you The Wolf?," he asked. Was was suprised that he came to the conclusion so fast; most people had to see me shoot before they figured it out.

I aimed my bow at the ground. "What's going on inside the walls?"

He shook his head."Just leave before you get yourself ki-" Quicker then a blink I had raised my bow, let go of the heavy string, and lodged an arrow in to his hand. He let out a scream that sounded suspiciously like a roar. "What was that for?!"

"Tell me what's going on in there or the poison on that arrow will kill you! I'm the only one with the antidote."
Last edited by thestorygirl on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nella vita vi è la distruzione, desolazione nella morte, ma c'è speranza nella rivoluzione.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:17 pm
PrincessOfDarkness says...

Dom ¬

"What exactly did the Queen say, Susan?"

"That they were under attack," She looked as confused as I was.

"Come on, let's go check," We slowly trotted down the hill. I kept my eyes peeled incase a troll jumped at me, or worse, Susan.

*Real sorry it's so short*
Signature Pending

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:36 pm
CelticaNoir says...

Elia | Breaking the surface

Elia emerged from the water only to sink back as the sun's heat sharply assaulted her face. She glared at it from her vantage before swimming off to find somewhere much more hospitable. She was almost stumped at how easy it had been to hoodwink those two numbskulls. But then again, who ever said merpeople were intelligent? She found humans much more complex, frankly.

It was with this thought in mind that she lurked into a river and onto a shallow and uninhabited (as far as she could tell) bank, wringing the water out of her heavy hair. One thing humans didn't much care about--subtlety, especially when they were walking around. She could hear their heavy footsteps from half a mile away even if she wasn't trying to pay attention, and that was a fact.

So of course, when a pretty little human girl (with dark blonde curls and the prettiest shade of grey eyes she had ever seen) suddenly peeked out from behind a tree, looking rather apprehensive of Elia, she was taken aback. "Um. Hello there. I didn't hear you coming." Run Elia, run! She's a human girl!

But the girl seemed to warm up. She came out from behind the tree and clasped her hands in front of her bosom, eyes sparkling with a intense curiosity. When her voice came out it sounded almost seraphic. "You're a mermaid, aren't you? My mummy told me stories alllll about you. Can you talk to fishes and swim all day without ever needing to stop?"

"Well - "

"Oh, it is true!" The girl got even closer. "Please tell me more about yourself, pleaase?"

Elia mildly chuckled to herself. How could she deny such a sweet and innocent little girl?
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:07 pm
StellaThomas says...

The Enchantress- Glass Beach, East Country

"Please tell me more about yourself, pleeeeease?" the Enchantress said, widening her eyes.

"Well," the mermaid said, chuckling. "I guess you could say... I'm a princess as well."

Bingo. The Enchantress grinned. One of five. When she had appeared on this beach, she hadn't expected this, she had expected idle fishwife gossip, rumours of royals that would distract her from the task at hand. But while she was here, well, Atlantis was technically part of the Continent. The sixth royal family. Sebastian was hers, Briar Rose was hers, Charming was practically hers, Snow White under her control... and now if she got a mermaid, all she would need was Taris or Suirin... a full set. Now to find what the girl wanted... and what she was willing to give.

"A princess? Wow! Which one are you? Lyana? Coral- no, wait, I know! You're Elia, aren't you?"

The princess stared. "How do you know that?"

Atlantans were oblivious to land culture, everyone knew that. "From the stories! My mother tells me all these wonderful stories about how you can sing so well you can put just about anyone under your spell, and your hair is soft like feathers and your tails glitter like jewels. It's true!" she said, pretending to stare at Elia's tail, just poking through the water, feigning amazement. Heavens, how many mermaid tails had she seen in this life? No matter. Elia was laughing and doing some staring of her own.

"They really tell you stories like that? We never hear stories of people on land- only, only bad ones."

The girl seemed far too old for stories, but still. There it was. The Enchantress' way in. "Oh, but we're not bad, not at all. There are so many amazing things in this world, some day I'm going to see all of the Five Kingdoms- except of course, the roses in Middle Kingdom, but I'm sure Prince Taris will deal with those-" just testing the waters, that was all.

And it caught the girl's attention. "Roses? Prince Taris?"

"You don't know any of it? Well." And she launched into what she supposed was a child's explanation of her own schemes, the roses, the dragon, the sleeping palace, the spindle and the Prince who would never find his way through. It sounded even better coming as a story, as news to a newcomer.

Elia's expression matched her own childishness. "It's- it's really like that?" The girl was dreamy. "There's so many wonders in your world... magic and princes- I know I'm a princess but there are no princes in Atlantis, I've never met or even seen one... It's just all so different." She sighed, almost wistfully, then looked at the land horizon. The sun had moved considerably during their conversation. "I should go," she said, snapping out of the dream. "I've been here too long- if they find me-"

"If who find you?"

Elia sighed again. "You want to know more about me? Well, I'm on the run. From my father. For being up here on the surface."

And there was her perfect opening. "But... why not stay on land? Surely it'd be easier like that, they wouldn't find you here."

Elia laughed. "There's the small problem of my tail."

"You could get rid of it. A magic-worker would happily give you legs. For a price, but nothing you couldn't afford." She already had one in mind. A mermaid's voice was something to be treasured, something to add to her collection, to serenade her when she took a scented bath at the end of a long day of ruining royal lives.

"But I don't know a magic-worker."

"Oh." The Enchantress cocked her head, the weight of the child's curls going with her. "But I do."
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:19 pm
gleek456 says...

Cinderella- Middle Country

"I don't know. But anyone who can talk to a dragon like you do can figure it out," Charming replied. Now this I was confused about.

"What do you mean?" I asked, looking puzzled.

"I mean, you can probably figure out where and how to get to Briar Rose," he answered. I stared at the castle. All the people cast under the spell. They were all sleeping peacefully, probably how Briar is right now. I looked up, and saw four tall towers with white-wash turrets.

"Briar is probably in one of those," I pointed to each tower. Charming nodded.

"Well, we better get going," he suggested. I nodded and watched as Charming led the way. His foot didn't even step inside until the vines covered the entrance, the sleeping people out of sight. Charming bumped into the vine wall and fell. I gasped and quickly ran to his aid.

"Charming! Are you okay? We can stop if you want," I suggested. Charming sat up and shook his hands.

"No. I'm fine!" he answered. I leaned back and watched as Charming rubbed his head. I looked back towards the now covered entrance.

"Now what do we do?"

Susan Madrival- South Country

"Come on, let's go check," I watched as Prince Dominic lead the way. I remembered what the Enchantress said. I have to distract him, away from Prince Charming. I bite my lip. I can't let him find out that I was lying through my teeth. I kicked the horse, causing it to go on two legs, making me fall. I let out a cry to get Prince Dominic's attention.

"Susan!" he cried. He turned the horse around and rushed towards me. My horse is now nowhere in sight. I rubbed my left ankle and winced. I didn't really have a sprained ankle, but I can't let Prince Dominic go further.

"My horse just, it just," I looked down. I can't do this anymore. I'm lying to royalty.

"It just got scared when I kicked it," I confessed. Prince Dominic was kneeling.

"What? Why?" he asked. I took a deep breath, ready for the punishment I was going to get after I confessed.

(Hope this is okay! Please tell me if it's not!)
YOU'VE GOT THAT ONE THING

66 Reviews

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:37 pm
CelticaNoir says...

Elia | On the bank

Elia stared suspiciously at the little girl, the little demon in the back of her mind telling her something was definitely up--and she trusted the demon a lot. Still, she decided to take the girl at her word. She leaned forwards with a conspiratory look. "So you know a magic worker? Tell me more."

"You're staring right at her." The girl winked.

A beat of silence. "You? But you're such a little - I mean. You don't look it." Elia coughed, noticing the irritable expression that had appeared on her face when she had called her 'little'. "Are you sure...?"

"Yes, I am." The little girl slightly frowned--in a wink, however, her face was back to its typical sweetness. "I can help you get your legs. No big deal, if you only promise to give me what I want in return."

Elia bit her lip. Deals like this. What did Father always say? Don't make promises you don't know about? But this steeled her even furthur. She didn't want any of the old man, or his ancient advice. She looked the girl directly in the eyes.

"I promise."

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:33 pm
StellaThomas says...

The Enchantress- the River Bank, East Country

"I can give you legs then," she said, twisting hair around her finger. "For your voice."

Elia's hand immediately went to her throat. "My voice?"

"One body part for another. It's quite simple, really."

"But I couldn't be doing without my voice. Are you... quite sure you know what you're talking about?" She seemed doubtful of the little girl.

"Of course I am!" the Enchantress snapped, forgetting her persona for a minute and attempting to revert. "You give me your voice and I will change that fish tail into legs. Just like mine." She indicates the child's chubby ankles. "Only. Well. Bigger, of course."

"And that's it? I can be a human, forever?"

"Forever's such a long time. We'll play it by ear," the Enchantress said, waving a hand. "But for a while, certainly."

"What if I want to come home?"

"I thought you couldn't go home," she said coldly. The words were followed by a long silence, only the sound of the river slowly trickling past.

"No more catches?" Elia asked.

The Enchantress considered mentioning the old line- that every step would be like walking on knives, every breath drawn through the nose instead of gills like fire, but she didn't. She was skilled enough to get rid of those things and unnecessary pain was, well, unnecessary.

"That's it. Do you agree?"
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

66 Reviews

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:34 pm
CelticaNoir says...

Elia | Wandering through the forest

Elia walked alongside the trees, her eyes fixed on a distant point that seemed to be the exit of this place. The toga the little girl had lent her was stained with brown--and scratches. But even though her feet hurt, and her legs wobbled like no ever human legs ever before or since have ever done, even though she kept falling down - again and again and again, and even though she couldn't speak anymore, nothing could eclipse her elation of finally being a human--a human! Now no matter how Father tried to cage her in, he wouldn't succeed. She was far, far away from Atlantis...and far, far away from ever having been a mermaid.

It seemed like hours before she finally reached the exit, her delicate feet bleeding from the exertion. Falling to her knees, she noticed a small, nondescript flower growing close to the ground, not pretty but rather frail. Unlike the flowers of Atlantis, however, which were pretty to look at but had no smell, this flower wasn't as pretty but smelled too sweet to be true. She picked it and held it close to her bosom.

How many more wonders were there in this wide, wide world? She absorbed the birdsong, the scent of the flower, the abundantly free sky, and the absolute quietude of the countryside. But even as she revelled in it, footsteps approached--but it didn't sound like human footsteps, rather of something else. Clip, clop, clip, clop, so it went, and Elia wondered what was making that sound. She stood shakily on her legs and saw what it was; a strange four-legged animal striding leisurely up the hill, a human girl riding on it, with a young man walking beside them.

She waved frantically, unable to speak.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:30 pm
Skull3670 says...

Clumsy
West Country

"Snow White please. Don't do this. Don't put your faith in that malicious malcontent mistress of magic. What she promises breaks every law in the land. Necromancy is BANNED and with good reason." I pleaded.
"I'm sorry Clumsy but i can't," she sobbed "i can't be without him. If this is what it takes to have him back then so be it."
"Do you think this is what Gareth would want? Invasion and death. Misery across two continents. All so he could be brought back from beyond the veil of death? That does not sound like the noble King to me."
Snow continued hurrying back to ward the castle, refusing to answer me or even acknowledge my point. His death really had shattered her, as much as her facade may have seemed otherwise.
Well, i thought, i must do what i can. Perhaps Snow can be swayed but for now i must try to minimise casualties on both sides of this planned war.
"Maybe i should write this down." I mused scratching my chin. POP. I looked down to find a quill and notebook in my hand. Then a thought hit me, a dwarf legend so old i had almost forgotten it.
The beardless dwarf. My mother had told me it as a child. Born beardless he was outcast by his peers. After many years he left the caves in search of adventure and a noble death. Instead he returned, undefeated with a flowing white beard and a gift for magic. Grom the White Mage. Since his time another dwarf mage has never been born.
But i couldn't be, could i? It would explain the POPing ... and the beard.
I hopped on to Giggles and rode after Snow.
I have looked into the eye of the storm and stared it down. I am an adrenaline junky and i know no fear.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Sunshine says...

It's official. Between my first year of High School, Volunteer work, Marching Band, and Cross Country I don't think I have time for another charecter. So I won't be making a profile for Suirin. If you want I'll just give you guys an overview of what I picture her to be like. If not, you'll pick it up. Anyone is still open to make a profile for her! Sure hope no one minds...

Prince Taris Reginson- East Country- In the forest

"You're a fool, Taris."

Taris looked up at his sister. After the disastrious meeting in the thrown room, Suirin had invited her brother for a ride. At the moment, the eighteen year old Princess was riding on her white mare while Prince Taris led it along, trying to be the gentlemen. Suirin wore a frown on her pink lips, and her eyebrows were bent in concentration.

"Am I now? I believe you're over thinking things again, dear sister."

"I'm not, I promise you. There are plenty of things wrong with you going out and risking your life for a girl you don't know and might not even want to marry!"

"... How do you know I don't wan't to marry her?"

The princess lifted a slim shoulder. "You've grown more and more distant as the date approaches. I know your still trying to pull it off as Leo's death, but it's not anymore. I can tell."

Taris sighed. "You're to smart for your own good."

"Perhaps. You know I like it better that way."

There was an awkward silence. Taris let go of the mare's reins, and began to walk along side the horse instead. Suirin took a deep breath and looked around.

"Oh. Oh my."

The Princess, who was a suprisingly good rider, grabbed her horses reins and spun it around.

"Suirin! What the..."

The Prince ran after her, halting to a stop behind her horse.

"I'm Princess Suirin of the East Country. Who are you?"

Prince Taris stepped to the right of the horse, trying to see who his sister was talking to.

It was her. The girl. The one who rescued him from drowning. He would recognize her anywhere. The long dark hair, the purple eyes. The girl's eyes were fixated on his sister. Her mouth moved up and down, but didn't make a sound. She frowned, her eyes growing big.

"Can you...can you talk?" Suirin asked intelligently.

Taris gave her a glance. The Princess was in fact, way to intelligant for her own royal good. This time she was wrong, of course. The girl was obviously his rescuer, and his rescuer had sang to him with the most beautiful voice. He watched the girl fixated, waiting for her answer. She shook her head. Impossible. It had to be. His eyes grew big and he felt his mouth drop open wide. The girl who saved his life, who sang to him on the beach...had no voice?

"Ah." Suirin said, looking the girl over. Her eyes seemd to stop on her dirty robes. "Come with me to the castle. We can talk there." She looked around like she was trying to remember if she'd forgotten anything. Her eyes locked on Taris. "Oh, and this is my brother. The Crown Prince of the East Kingdom, Prince Taris."
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:18 pm
StellaThomas says...

Sunshine, unless somebody else desperately wants to, I'd love to take on Suirin :). Can we move the discussion to the DT so we can work out plot and things for her as well (and find out if there's anyone else who wants it more than me- not that I don't want to- but just if someone else does)?

The Enchantress-Middle Country

She had put the mermaid's voice into a locket. Oldest trick in the book, yes, yes, but the Enchantress was, after all, a traditionalist. Besides, she needed to put it somewhere safe.

And she knew a species that happened to like things that sparkled.

The thorns gave way for her, recognising her as their Mistress. She shut her eyes for a minute and felt around the forest... There were so many hearts beating in here. Strange. A few near the palace as well. They couldn't get in, but she would have to deal with that. And... there. Royal blood, calling to her. Cold royal blood, a Northerner. She pushed her way into the clearing, where Sebastian lay. He looked suspiciously sleepy.

"Sebastian!" she shouted and he snapped into a sitting position. "You're supposed to be guarding!"

"I am," he mumbled.

"Then why are there three people right up by the palace walls? Did you let anybody through?" She fingered the voice in the gold locket, the chain made especially long for a dragon's thick scaly neck. But could she trust the Beast after all?

Sorry it's so short, but definitely seemed a good place for Shadow to take over. Also, head over to the DT, got some thoughts I'd love to share with you all!

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:28 am
Skorpionne says...

Snow White | Vesperwoods / Castle Custos

The pair didn't talk after that. There was nothing to say.

Her mind was still somewhat intoxicated, drunk on the idea of Gareth returing from the dead. Hadn't such wild hopes left her years ago? They had, she admitted to herself, but the hopes banished by her stepmother had returned, bidden back by Gareth.

Thinking his name was bittersweet, the hopes tainted by the pain.

To combat the pain, Snow tried to distract herself, concentrating on the scenery. It didn't work.

Yet before she knew it she was back at the palace.

Disapproval was written on the faces of all courtiers as strongly as sympathy had been written a few hours earlier. Few expected to see their queen with her hair tangled and her skirts ripped. Clumsy glared up at them, bidding a smile to Snow's lips.

"Invasion and death"

Did it have to be that way? Could she find a method to invade Middle Country without shedding a drop of blood?

Only time would tell.
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:34 am
thestorygirl says...

Asta| North Edge of Middle Country

He said nothing. I knew what would cause him more pain, and I twisted the arrow around in his hand until it was in a horizontal position from the way it originally entered. Then, as hard as I possibly could, yanked it out, making a cross shaped hole in his hand.

He made a whimpering, and it looked like his whole form flickered. “Not again,” I said. I had seen a flickering before in someone. I had thought he was a human, but he was a beast. The Beast, it looked like. I'd met him in the woods, with my wolves. He was with a young girl, quite a pretty one I must add.

As fast as I could I had climbed a tree- a surprisingly common habit. My wolves, having no thumbs, couldn't follow me, and whimpered at the bottom of the tree. I think they were hungry, and finally caught scent of the girl.

They attacked her, but the man had defended her. My wolves had almost overpowered him, but then I saw his form flickering, from a man to a beast. I called them off, and jumped noiselessly from each tree branch.

I saw his whole form flicker into a dragon. Oh heavens, that thing's going to kill me, I thought. I had no intention of a dragon holding a grudge with me so I took a small crystal bottle out of my quiver and placed it in his uninjured hand.

I disappeared into the trees he had originally come from, still thinking about what had just happened.

Inside the trees, my favorite wolf waited for me, . Among the wolves, I was the Sentinel. I kept the peace among the wolves. With the fights that went between the other four wolf packs in the north. As a highly respected assassin, if I ever went into a tavern, I would always be guaranteed free things. No smart individual would ever tangle with me.

Aside from my bow, I kept a sword at my side, thin blades in my sleeves, small explosives and poison in my quiver, a knife in my jacket, an ace, and a shield Because of my unnatural strength I almost never felt the weight of it.

I still don't know where that rumour of me blowing down houses came from. One of the pigs owed me money, and I just set his house on fire. Now that girl with the stupid red cape I did kill, after I killed her Grandmother.

I sat down next to the big black wolf, a cloud of dust floating up from where I sat. It felt good to rest, I had been running all day, but my comfort was short lived.

I heard a clopping sound, horses.

I stroked the wolf's head reassuringly, then stepped out of the bramble and directly in front of a big white carriage I recognized as Prince Charming's.
Last edited by thestorygirl on Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nella vita vi è la distruzione, desolazione nella morte, ma c'è speranza nella rivoluzione.

42 Reviews

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:05 pm
Shadowlight says...

Sebastian/Rose forest:

"Sebastian!" The enchantress shouted her voice cracking slightly. Sebastian came crashing back to reality form his sleepy mid afternoon sunbath. She walked right up to him and glared up into his wide eyes, his pupils dilating till they were almost black "You're supposed to be guarding!" she tapped her small foot in frustration

"I am," he mumbled sleepily, the sun always did that do him. he slowly realized this was probably not the best response to his mistress, she looked livid.

"Then why are there three people right up by the palace walls? Did you let anybody through?" She fingered something in her hands, it was shiny. Sebastian liked shiny, he stood up, and much like a cat does he walked around trying to see what it was and sniffing at it. "Sebastian!" the Enchantress said tapping him on his head. "Would you kindly bring your devilish mind back to me?" her voice had the dangerously sweet edge he knew well, his eyes met her's.

"I hunted them down like you said." he paused trying to see thew shiny thing. "But you said if they were interesting don't kill them, they were interesting." he stopped and tried to look as puppy-like as he could, he didn't wan to anger her further. She stared at him fixedly for am moment then relaxed.

"Oh alright fine. Sit!" she commanded, his rear hit the ground with a thump. she held the shiny thing up to him, it was a golden locket that flashed in the sun in quite a marvelous way. "Now Sebastian, don't let anyone touch this." she put it around his neck and that seemed to be all she was going to say. Sebastian dared to ask a question.

"What is it?" she centered the locket on his chest just so and hooked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Just something that needs safekeeping. Don't let anyone touch this, or take it away from you." she started to walk away then turned. "Oh and Sebastian, don't try to open it, you'll regret it if you do."

(Sorry this is so late in coming!)
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

42 Reviews

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:46 pm
PrincessOfDarkness says...

Dominic ¬

"It just got scared when I kicked it,"

"What? Why?" I asked, kneeling beside her. She opened her mouth to reply. "Look, Susan, it doesn't matter. The Queen must have been misinformed, and in turn, so were you," I held out my hand and pulled her up. "I don't blame you, you must feel angered to those who tricked us,"

For a second, I held my breath. Our bodies were pressed close against each other, so close I could feel her breath ticking my face. My body burnt and tingled where hers touched mine. I flushed, and stepped back, letting go of her hand.

I turned on my heel and grabbed the reign of her horse, running a calming hand along its muzzle.

"Come on, we'll fix up your ankle at the palace," I said. I hesitantly walked towards her, and helped her mount the horse.

Trying to hide the blush that crept across my cheeks, I climbed up onto my own.
Signature Pending

"You, who have all the passion for life that I have not? You, who can love and hate with a violence impossible to me? Why you are as elemental as fire and wind and wild things..."
— Gone With the Wind