z

Young Writers Society

Amidst the Roses

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:28 pm
gleek456 says...

Susan Madrival- Forest of South Country

Prince Dominic shook his head and gave me a disappointed look. I glared back and put one hand on my hip, while the other stroked my horse's mane.

"Did you honestly doubt that I'd follow you?" I ask tauntingly. Prince Dominic just squinted at me. I let out a huff and thought about what that woman said. Deter huh? Oh, I'll hinder Prince Dominic, I thought to myself. I instantly thought of the palace.

"I just came here to inform you of what's happening at the palace, Queen's orders," I lied. Prince Dominic looked up, waiting to see what I was going to say. I take a deep breath.

"Apparently, an army of those wretched trolls attacked. That's all I know. I have no contact from the King, only the Queen," I bowed my head, hoping this will get through.

Cinderella- Middle Country

I gripped Charming's hand as I looked around us. The vines were growing faster, and trapping us faster. The forest now looked like a sickly, yet beautiful, sight. I heard Charming inhale. He stared at the carriage driver.

"You go back to South Country, inform them of what has happened," Charming ordered. The carriage driver nodded his head nervously, and looked to the vines.

"How will I get through it?" he asked. Charming looked towards the carriage, and ripped off a metal rod. He handed it to the carriage driver.

"Cut the vines with this, hopefully those vines won't grow back," Charming suggested. The carriage driver took the rod, and with a second glance to us, began cutting his way through. We watched as he disappeared. I turn towards Charming, a bit scared.

"What's going to happen?" I ask, cluelessly.

(Hope this is okay! Princess, I didn't really want to use seduction until later, hope this was okay!)
YOU'VE GOT THAT ONE THING

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:02 pm
PrincessOfDarkness says...

It's fine. Ha-ha. It's Susan's secret weapon: Seduction. xD

Dominic | Woods in The South Country ¬

"I don't believe you." I hung my head. "Before I left, we'd made a treaty with the trolls. In return for ... food, they wouldn't harm us. Are you sure this is what your Majesty said?"
"Yes," She replied quickly.
"Well, then you'll have to come with me," I said.
"No, I want to find Cinderella," She said stubbornly. I sighed. "You are coming with me, OK? I want you safe,"
Edit:
"Fine,"
"Good," I hopped on my horse, Susan on hers. "Come on," I smiled "Lets go and sort out these trolls,"
Signature Pending

42 Reviews

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:11 pm

^^ Edit Above on My Post ... Just To Slow it Down. :3x
Signature Pending

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:17 pm
gleek456 says...

Susan Madrival- Forest of South Country

I nodded as I hopped on my horse and turned around, towards the path that lead back to the palace. I pulled the reigns and kicked the horse's leg.

"Yah!" I started. The horse immediately began galloping, followed by Prince Dominic

"Are you absolutely sure of this?" he called. I nodded, and Prince Dominic went ahead of me.

"We can get Prince Charming and my mistress later, I'm sure all the villagers will be pleased," I assured while we galloped along. I was following orders, I always do, but this one made me feel guilty. I was lying to the Prince! Though, he does annoy me a lot. I'll just think that this is a casual matter.

(Hope this is okay!)
YOU'VE GOT THAT ONE THING

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:33 pm
CelticaNoir says...

Elia | In her bedroom

Her ear pressed at the door.

Elia's tail swished back and forth as she leaned against the door, almost looking as though she would rather sink into the material than stay in her room a moment longer. The guards were talking to each other.

"Wonder what she did?"

"Who knows?"

How long was it going to take Lil to bring up that plate of oysters anyway? She was way beyond hungry. Way, way beyond hungry. Hungry for her freedom, that was. And that plate of oysters was the key to her release. She put her ear to the door again, eagerly listening for signs of Lili approaching.

"Poor girl. She's a bit of a rebel, isn't she?" The bits and pieces of conversation she could catch were more annoying than interesting, considering they were blocking out the more subtle sounds of someone swimming. "Is that Lady Liliana?"

"She's here!" Elia almost yelped before swimming away from the door, not willing to be caught before her plan went through. Lili came in through the doorway, making sure to close it behind her.

"Eli! I brought you up a plate of oysters. You must be hungry!" She said in a rather fake and loud voice. Elia winced.

"Tune it down, would you?" She whispered, before raising her voice to the same volume Lili's had been just a while ago. "I'm not hungry!"

"But you haven't had anything to eat since breakfast!" Lili pouted at her. "Are you absolutely sure?"

"Absolutely!" In an undertone she added, "those are spoiled, right?"

"Guilty as charged, sister." Lili winked back at her. "Too bad - these'll go spoiled!" She went back to the doorway and opened the door. "Are you absolutely sure?"

"Positive!"

"Okay!" With that Lili went out, again closing the door behind her. Elia raced to it and immediately pressed up against it, straining to hear what was going on. She just hoped her heartbeats didn't echo across to the guards.

Lili was talking. "Oh dear, these oysters were for my sister, but she doesn't seem hungry. They'll go spoiled...would you like some?"

"Are you sure, Lady Liliana?"

"Mmhmm, absolutely!"

"Oh thanks! Omnomnscrumphgulpnom..."

"You are so kind, my lady! Omnomnscrumphgulpnom..."

"You have no idea...omnomnomnom...how hard it is for us guards to stand around all day and not have a bite to eat!"

"Yes...of course...are you quite done?" Lili sounded disgusted--Elia didn't blame her. She herself was busy silently roaring in laughter. "I must be present in the Grand Hall."

"Ofcoursemyladyomnomthankyou!"

"Thankyougulpnomscrumph."

Elia swished her tail around happily. This was going to be as easy as picking kelp.
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:21 pm
Skorpionne says...

Snow White | West Country

Snow woke to a crackling fire in the grate, and curtains drawn against the nightmares outside. There was no brief moment of confusion, the full details of the last few days flooded back to her. For around half an hour she lay there, her eyes squeezed shut, hoping with all her heart that it had all been a dream, and that when she opened her eyes, Gareth would be there.

She never really believed it.

Dry clothes were laid out on the end of bed. Thankfully, Snow shed her former garments, now only damp.

It was amazing how quickly news spread. Already, the castle was clad in black hangings, and sympatheic gazes met Snow's eyes no matter where she looked. Every reminder of Gareth's death hit her like a white hot arrow.

Her pace sped up until she was nearly running, desperate to get away from it all. The main hall was decked most heavily in black. Of course, she thought, the funeral will be held in here.

The funeral. Yet another savage reminder that Gareth had left the world.

No matter how hard she tried, Snow couldn't force her mind away from the subject of Gareth. Into the wilderness she fled, not looking back once. The fresh breath of the wind ated as a cleanser, washing away all the sympathetic looks and considerate natures of the courtiers. As if they cared. All they cared about was the possibility of securing the throne for themselves.

There were those genuinely cared, but there was nobody who could understand.
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:19 pm
StellaThomas says...

The Enchantress- West Country

The Enchantress knew Snow White well by sight and had a mental picture of the young queen, bedecked in veils standing at the top of the throne room as the monks performed the ceremony.

She definitely didn't expect the girl to be running ragged around the woods.

The Enchantress watched carefully as Snow White's black hair tumbled out of its holdings, the girl kicking at piles of dead leaves in frustration. She felt a wave of pity for her, seeing tears of anger and grief mingle together on the girl's cheeks. It must be hard to lose a king, a saviour and a husband all at the same time. Perhaps she should give the girl some time.

On the second hand, maybe not. She wove herself a grey dress, more suited to the occasion, and made herself young and -though it disgusted her slightly- plain. Pretty girls always found ugly ones easier to talk to.

"Milady?" she stepped forward with faked nerves. "Is everything alright?"

Snow White turned to her with blue blue eyes and shook her head. "No. Gareth is dead. He's dead and nobody understands-" She frowned. "Who are you, anyway?"

Darn. For all her innocence, the girl was still a queen. The facade dropped rather quickly.

"I'm somebody who does understand, even if you don't believe me. And, better than that... I'm someone who can help." She took a few steps further forward, the leaves crunching beneath her feet.

"What do you mean?"

"Your Majesty. How badly do you want to see Gareth again?"
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:00 pm
Skull3670 says...

Clumsy
West Country

I awoke in had what become my chambers for the foreseeable future. Pulling on my robes and breeches i wandered down to the kitchen, only falling once and thankful landing on my well padded backside. After a quick search i found Cooky and changed the dressing on a bad slice in her thumb caused by a tough potato and viciously sharp kitchen knife.
After that i prepared another sleeping tonic and a calming cup of herbal tea before heading up to Snow's room as had become routine. I entered expecting the usual rigmarol, closed curtains and a weeping, only semi concious Snow who probably had no idea who i was or that i was even there. Instead i discovered disturbed sheets and an empty bed.
Perhaps she is getting better, i thought hopefully. Returning to the busy kitchen i climbed up onto chair before asking politely if anyone had seen Snow White.
"You mean she is out of bed?" Asked one serving girl.
"Indeed that seems to be the case," i replied. This seemed to improve the mood of the considerably, as if a collective sigh of relief had been breathed. These people really did care. Even if they don't understand, i thought sagely.
Finally giving up on help from these people i headed down to the stables to find Giggles lounging in a stall.
"Giggles you lazy old donkey. Get up. We're going to look for the lovely lady Snow White." After a brief pause, she rose to her feet and dipped her head, allowing me to jump and clamber onto her back.
"Alright girl, lets ride!" I intoned heroically. Sadly Giggles reaction was less enthusiastic. She simply began to totter off toward a forest path.
After a brief ride Giggles paused and simply would not budge. Something has got her spooked, i thought falling off the saddle into an untidy heap. I could hear voices from further ahead. Approaching quietly lest i interupt something important i edge forward to see Snow White talking a plain looking lady. Something seemed wrong about her. As if she wasn't quite real.
That feeling of something not quite right spurred me on to listen more intently.
"I'm someone who can help." Crunch, crunch, crunch went the leaves as the not quite right one stepped towards Snow.
"What do you mean?" Asked Snow. My god, i thought, she even has a beautiful voice.
"Your Majesty. How badly do you want to see Gareth again?"
Gareth, i thought confused. But he's dead. This definitely didn't add up. I prepared to stride forcefully in to the clearing before falling face first into (pop) ... a pillow.
That was most definitely not there a moment ago, i thought, i wonder whats going with this popping milarky. I looked up to find myself staring directly into the eyes of the odd seeming woman.
I have looked into the eye of the storm and stared it down. I am an adrenaline junky and i know no fear.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:27 pm
StellaThomas says...

The Enchantress- West Country

The Enchantress stared at the creature. "Is that a dwarf? Why, I haven't seen one of those since-" She stopped short. Confessing the last time she had seen them was during the last great clan battle between trolls and dwarves over a century ago might give the game away. She corrected herself smoothly, "since my mother foolishly bought a ruby necklace off them. We couldn't afford it, see," she said sadly to Snow White, hoping for sympathy. However, she couldn't keep her eyes off the dwarf. "Who exactly are you?"

"Clumsy," the dwarf said, picking himself up. "And you are?"

"Someone who can help, as I said, and someone who at present is addressing the Queen, and not you." Her voice went cold with impatience, and she suddenly worried it was a mistake as Snow White was watching the dwarf with something bordering affection.

"He's a... friend, of sorts. I won't take unkindness."

"Apologies, my lady." The Enchantress curtseyed low for good measure. "I'm merely impatient to tell you my good news. I can bring your husband back, as easy as anything."

"Necromancy is banned by the oldest and deepest laws in the world," Clumsy said darkly. Dwarves had naturally deep voices and the tone slightly unnerved the Enchantress. She shook herself, feeling silly. It was only a dwarf. She could crush him, if she wanted-

but that wouldn't do. Not if the Queen liked him.

She chose to ignore the necromancy comment and instead smiled at the Queen. "Nothing bad will come of this, I assure you. I just need one small favour from you first."
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:55 pm
Skorpionne says...

Snow White | Vesperwoods | West Country

Hope swelled in Snow's chest, sudden and uninvited. There was a part of her that desperately wanted to believe this stranger, that screamed out Gareth's name in longing.

There was bigger, stronger part that remembered exactly what had happened last time she had blindly trusted a stranger.

She managed to force her longing down, and respond in a voice devoid of all emotion...or so she hoped.

"You haven't answered my question yet. Who are you?"

There it was- a brief flicker of frustration in her eyes. The way Snow saw it, anyone innocent would have no reason not to answer tht simple question.

The longing in her screamed ever louder as Snow's hand tightened around the knife in her belt.

Sorry for the extreme shortness- writing other people's characters isn't a strong point of mine.
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:47 pm
Skull3670 says...

Clumsy
West Country

"You haven't answered my question yet. Who are you?" Asked Snow once again. The question seemed to peturb the woman, frustration flitting across her face.
"Yes," i spoke deeply, attempting to apply the deep pronunciation of my native tongue to Common. "Who are you? You claim to have power over life and death. I presume someone with the much power would have a name."
My eyes darted to Snow as i heard the quiet squeak of her hand tightening on the handle of her dagger.
If only i carried a weapon, i thought. If this goes bad i'm less than useless. Once again i heard the strange pop, and looked down to see a huge broadsword, blade buried into the ground with my little hand wrapped around the handle. My suprise was followed by a breif wave of tiredness.
I looked around to see my look of suprise mirrores on the faces of the two women.
"I didn't...I mean i can't have...This keeps happening to me." I finished cheeks blushing with embarassment.
"Clumsy, I, well. We'll talk about this later." Queen Snow spoke calmly but her eyes quickly returned to the woman. "Is this your doing? No, first my original question. Who. Are. You?" She sounded positively fierce. The woman snapped away from her look of what i presumed to be a mix of intrigue and suprise to dart her gaze between the two of us.
I have looked into the eye of the storm and stared it down. I am an adrenaline junky and i know no fear.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:02 pm
StellaThomas says...

*don't worry Skor, the Enchantress is pretty much how she seems.*

The Enchantress- Vesper Woods, West Country

"You can call me the Enchantress. Perhaps you've heard of me."

She could tell from the way Snow White flinched that she knew perfectly well who she was. "You, you were the one-" she whispered.

"Yes, yes, the one who provided your stepmother with a poison apple, but I didn't kill you, like she asked. That counts for something, surely?"

"I was asleep for a year!" Snow White said furiously, pulling out her dagger. The Enchantress held up a hand to calm her.

"I wouldn't try that. It won't work." A complete lie, but it never failed to stop daggers to the heart. "Now, I have a proposition to make that honestly, you would be foolish to refuse."

The dwarf tried hefting his huge sword, but with no luck. "You should say no-"

But the queen was staring at her with wide eyes. "Could you really do it? Could you really bring him back?"

"For a price," the Enchantress said carefully, pacing on the soft mossy ground. "It's the simplest thing in the world really. Something most monarchs would jump at."

"What?" Snow asked, cocking her head to one side, curious.

"Invade the Middle Kingdom. Take the countryside there for your own. It's good farmland, your people will never go hungry again. And there's no government to fight against you. I just need someone to look after the place for... a while..."

"Why is there no government?" the dwarf piped up. He simply couldn't be quiet, could he?

"They annoyed me. Bad things happen to monarchs who annoy me," the Enchantress added nastily. If it was possible for Snow's eyes to widen further, then that was what they did. She was clearly beginning to realise there was no real choice.

42 Reviews

Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:29 pm

Dominic ¬

The horses galloped back, trotting when the need came. We stopped twice to refresh ourselves and the horses. On one such stop, I lay down on the grass, staring at the clouds through slits in the trees.
"I'm really worried about the trolls." Susan said. It was the first she'd said since we started.
"Don't worry. I'll protect you and my kingdom with my life." She paled suddenly. "What's the matter?" I said.
She blushed and became flustered for a moment before answering. "What if you get hurt?"
I laughed. "I'll be fine."
I stared at the clouds again. One was a sheep ... but then the wind blew, and it formed a ... wolf, with a savage grin, and pointed teeth. I sighed. "Come on, let's set off,"
We mounted the horses and rode off.

"We're nearly there!" I said as we galloped up the hill. Whenm we reached the top, we would have a clear vantage of the whole of the kingdom. I could target the trolls from there. I turned and shot a reasuring smile at Susan. We burst over the top of the hill, and I stopped the horse. It neighed in anoyance, but the sounds faded into the background as I stared down at the kingdom in shock.
"Susan ... where are the Trolls?"
Signature Pending

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:58 pm
Eliza:) says...

Charming - Middle Country

Charming turned toward the now useless carriage. "The carriage driver will take you back to South County," he told Cinderella. He could feel his stomach knotting up, but he knew this was the right thing to do. "This is obviously the work of a sorceress It isn't safe for you to go on. I'll stay and try to get to the castle."

He didn't want this. This was his honeymoon, but he also knew that he had to help the poor king and queen of the Middle Country. Plus, he didn't want Cinderella anywhere near the crazed lady who called herself the Enchantress. He knew it was her. Though he had been young at the time, he remembered the events that had happened sixteen years ago. And considering everything she had done before now to the royalty of the Faerie Continent, he doubted she would forget.

But no one could had known she would put the castle to sleep and place it in a forest of roses. And how did she find a dragon? He didn't doubt the carriage driver though, or the messenger, wherever he had gone. Unfortunately, wherever the Enchantress was, so was mischief.

"I'm sorry, Cinderella. But you have to go."

"Charming?" Cinderella said from behind him, a little annoyed.

He looked up. "Yes."

She pointed towards the roses. "He's gone."

Charming turned back towards them. He had been so occupied in his thoughts that he had never noticed the roses growing back where the driver had cut them. Well, that idea wouldn't work. And yet, he could only think of one other option.

Poor Cinderella. It was his idea to go to the Middle Country, and now they were trapped between unnaturally rose vines, and a dragon. At this point, though, they would probably have a better chance with the dragon. He didn't like the look of the vines, and they were approaching steadily faster. They would most likely crash them if they stayed.

"What are we going to do?" Cinderella asked.

"Well, he said, turning back toward the carriage, "we will have to walk to the castle."

She nodded. She didn't hear the carriage driver talking about the dragon. And she didn't know about the Enchantress.

As they walked on, he kept a hand on his sword. Hopefully he wouldn't need it.
There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
-Ernest Hemingway

42 Reviews

Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:00 am
Shadowlight says...

Sebastian:

The unfortunate couple slowly entered the rose forest unaware of the two large green eyes watching them from above.

Sebastian had followed the spells guidance and had found them just on the fringes of the roses. He had waited in the shadows, praying they would leave but the silly fools actually decided to go deeper into the plants.

"What are we going to do?" the young woman asked.

"Well,” the young man said chewing on his lip as he looked around "we will have to walk to the castle."

Sebastian groaned inwardly at this. Not only did they have to come into the forest but the were trying to find the castle?! His claws dug deeply into the branch he was perched on. For all the world he looked like some unholy bird with his black bat wings drawn close in and his wide owlish eyes.

“Come on Cinderella.” the man said taking her hand “the castle is this way.”

“No it's not.” Sebastian whispered rolling his eyes as he shifted along the branch to watch them closer. “It's east of the sun, not west.”

“Charming,” Cinderella said looking about at the slowly moving vines. “It's not so bad you know.” Charming looked at her aghast.

“Wha?!”

“Well I'm not saying I'd like to move here but the roses themselves are quite lovely, and it smells divine, I think I shall plant a rose garden at home- when we get back.”

If you could have seen Sebastian's and Charming's reactions to this speech side by side, it would almost have been laughable. Both stared in shock at the girl, then slowly tilted their heads to one side- Sebastian to the left and Charming the right. But it was only charming who replied.

“Roses? Really?” Cinderella nodded brightly, Charming shaking his head, took her hand again and lead the way deeper into the thorny blooms. Sebastian crept down form the tree and slowly, like a leopard stalking a deer he followed the pair.

For an hour he followed the two though the roses resisting his curse, but as they all drew nearer to the castle, curse the boy he was getting warmer, its hold on him grew. It grew stronger and stronger until he could bear it no longer- He burst out of the thorns right in front of the couple, blocking their way with a savage growl. With the last vestiges of his own will left, his mind grasped onto something that might keep him from killing them.

“Tell me something interesting!”

(I hope I did an alright job with your characters, I'm suffering from writers block right now so please forgive this for being rough. If I made a mistake tell me and I will fix it post haste!)
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
— Mark Twain