Young Writers Society

Amidst the Roses

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:22 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Beauty - Forest (North Country):

Don't ask. He'd told her that, but it wasn't going to stop her. If he was out here, his curse had been amended.... She frowned. Who had placed the curse on him anyway? She might as well ask, but when she opened her mouth to get the words out, she had none. Fine, she wouldn't ask.

As they walked, Beauty shot Beast a glance. He wasn't looking at her, just staring straight ahead. She sighed. They were still in the forest, and it was still pouring. The storm was still raging around them, but Beauty, being tucked up under Beast's arm and cloak wasn't getting wet. She was still soaked from earlier, though. And the cold, wet clothes were making her shiver--hence being tucked under her arm. His warmth helped, she still felt cold.

"Beauty," Beast said, but he trailed off. She looked at him, frowning. He shook his head and looked away from her. She sighed again and rolled her eyes. For all that he was, he still couldn't always find words. Beauty thought he was shy. Or he just couldn't always find the words. Beauty wasn't sure, though. Guess she'd have to wait it out; he'd hopefully say something eventually. At least, she wouldn't mind him saying it. She knew he was worried about her...it was jsut about getting him to admit it...again.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:24 pm
StellaThomas says...

The Enchantress- the Rose Forest

"Oh, and Sebastian? Don't try to open it. You'll regret it if you do."

The Enchantress sighed. Everything was going so well. Only one job left for her to do and then she could sit back and watch the brilliance unfold. Just one little job...

Praesa's place was very, well, clean for a necromancer. You could have expected there to be cobwebs, dark stains of the floorboards. But the Enchantress' niece ran a tight ship.

"Praesa, darling," she called from the doorway. "Are you home?"

The other woman, black hair hanging down her face, came to the door. "Auntie. I wasn't expecting you-"

"No, you're never expecting anyone though, are you? Can I come in? There's a favour I need of you."

"Of course- I was just reading-"

The Enchantress liked her niece well enough. Possibly more than she liked anyone, really. But why the woman was reading constantly was utterly beyond her.

They stepped in from the hall and Praesa led her upstairs to the library, pouring them each a glass of wine. "So, Auntie, who is it you need raising?"

The Enchantress raised the goblet to her lips. "Are you a royalist, Praesa?" she asked, taking a sip.

Sorry I haven't given you much to work with, Skor, but hopefully you can take it from there!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:59 pm
CelticaNoir says...

Elia | Library, Palace, East Country

Sunlight filtered through cracks in the intricately mildewed stonework, tiny specks of light that gave the walls a slight shimmer that she had never seen before. Sometimes, if she looked around she would spot a small flower growing in through the space, giving it all a very ancient yet grand and fine look. In Atlantis, things were reconstructed nearly every single year. She couldn't imagine something as old as this still existing down there.

She had recognized the young man as the one she had saved from the shipwreck--it had been quite a shock, even though she was quick to disguise her surprise. He certainly seemed to recognize her as well, but she could feel the doubt filtering off of him. Not that she particularly cared--she was just happy to see a familiar face. It was the sister that intrigued her, though--she seemed very intelligent, to the point that she very quickly deciphered any gesture Elia made.

Elia stared up at a book. It was so high up the librarians had to use a ladder to get to it. But there were no librarians nearby and no ladder either. She pointed it out to the sister--Suirin, wasn't it?--and motioned turning the pages. Suirin raised an eyebrow. "So you want to read that book?" Elia nodded vigorously. "What an interesting choice..." Suirin looked lost in thought for a moment. "Stay right here, I'll be right back." She turned a corner and disappeared from sight, leaving Elia to stare up at the book.

The title read "Mermaid Legends".
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:13 am
gleek456 says...

[b]Susan Madrival- The Palace[/i]

"Come one, we'll fix up your ankle at the palace," Prince Dominic said. I nodded, and he walked over to me to help me mount my horse. I notice a blush on his face, and turn myt head away to surpass a giggle.

We started off towards the palace, but the village looked pretty calm and peaceful. Many villagers were greeting Prince Dominic, and Prince Dominic was returning their greetings. I smiled at the sight. It was a nice sight, a Prince being kind to his villagers. But, I quickly wipe the smile off my face, remembering what the Enchantress said.

We finally reached the palace, and Prince Dominic helps me off my horse. I start leaning on him and limping towards the Physician. We were outside the Physician's door, but I stopped him from entering.

"It's fine. I can take it from here," I curtseyed as best as I could, but it was rather difficult with my sprained ankle. I smiled before turning the knob of the door and limping in, leaving Prince Dominic outside.

(Hope this is okay Princess!)
YOU'VE GOT THAT ONE THING

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:22 am
thestorygirl says...

The carriage stopped almost instantly, followed by a loud horse whinny and a door being thrown open Someone must be in a bad mood, I thought. I stood next to the lead horse and stroked it's ears, whispering softly. I was pretty good with animals, having lived around them so long.

"Why did you try to crash my carriage?," said a man who was most unmistakenly Charming. I smiled and stroked the horse a little more.

"Well, I was in the area and met a dragon near the walls. I wanted to know what was inside of them, but even when I shot him with an arrow he didn't give an answer," at this point his wife must have wondered what was going on and got out of the carriage, "did you have any luck getting in?"

Cinderella shook her blonde head. "No. But you look familiar." Her head looked slightly to the side, noticing a WANTED poster with me on it, for the killing of King Gareth. Crap. "You're the Wolf," Charming said with a microscopic tremor in his now cold voice.

But I already had my bow out. Instead of aiming at Charming, who had his knife out, I aimed an arrow at Cinderella. "Make a move and she gets an arrow three inches deep in her skull." Charming stepped back, his knife slightly lower. I backed away, and let out a high scream.

Quickly, I was flanked by four blacke wolves. Cinderella gave a start. Then I ran to the lead horse, unbuckled the strap that held the lead horse and the second together. I mounted it and rode off, with my wolves beside me.
Nella vita vi è la distruzione, desolazione nella morte, ma c'è speranza nella rivoluzione.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:48 pm
View Likes
PrincessOfDarkness says...

Prince Dominic ¬

She pushed open the door and went in. I tried to quell the urge to follow her. Instead I made a beeline for the Throne Room.

"Your Majesty," I bowed low. "I need to speak with you-"

"Prince, it is I who must speak with you,"

"What?" I quickly tried to regain my composure. "You Highness?"

"You are to be wed. It was arranged before you had left, before you had set out on this ridiculous journey-"

"It isn't ridiculous! I need to save my brother!" Married? What? I shook my head. "I cannot be married,"

Her eyes narrowed to slits. "Why?"

"Because I forbid it,"

She frowned. "You cannot rule over me,"

"I-"

"Enough!" Her voice was as clear and as sharp as broken glass. "You must leave. Your wedding is arranged. It will take place in a weeks time,"

Scowling, I turned on my heel and marched off.

Night descended like an assassin.

I pushed open the door to the the room Susan was staying in. The candle light flickered over her face, and I tried to supress another blush, which failed anyway, when I realised she was dressed in as little as silk pyjamas.

(*Would they call them pajamas?*)

"Susan ... I ..."

She raised an eyebrow, and a unrecognisable expression crossed her face. I turned and grabbed a bag from the side, hiding my reddening blush. "I'm leaving. Tonight. I will explain on the way. If you want to come? If not, I will leave," I desperatly wanted her to come with me. My eyes travelled over her, and I was seized by such a staggering, unusual feeling I nearly stepped forwards. "Please?"
Signature Pending

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:46 pm
StellaThomas says...

Princess Suirin- The Royal Palace

What a strange girl, Suirin mused, leaving the mute girl in the library and going up to her own chambers. They were practically a library as well, but it was not books she was looking for. It was Taris. At this time of day the two of them nearly always met for tea- which her handmaid Gretta would brew for them. But Taris was not there. With a sense of unease, Suirin went to the prince's own chambers...

to find him searching for his winter cloak. She knew he was searching for his winter cloak because he had emptied everything out of that particular trunk where his winter cloak was usually stashed when in fact last time his servant had hung it in the back of his wardrobe. Suirin sighed and went to fetch it. "Why do you need this? It's not cold yet."

He grabbed it and stuffed it into a bag that was sitting on his canopied bed. "It'll be cold in Middle Country."

"'Ris, don't tell me you're still considering it. Really. So what? You risk your life for Briar Rose- who hasn't even known she's a princess her whole life, let alone that she's engaged to you. Not that you want to marry her anyway, don't say you do because I know you too well to believe that. You save her and then what? You find out she's in love with someone else?"

"It's my duty, Rin," he said vaguely.

"Of course." She threw the cloak at him and lay back on his bed, looking up at the ceiling. "Take me with you, then."

"What? No, Suirin, are you crazy?"

"You know perfectly well I'm not," she said sharply. "But if it's no danger like you say then why shouldn't I come along? It might even be fun with someone as witty and charming as me in your entourage."

Taris laughed a little and sighed, going back to his packing. "No. Mother and Father would murder us both."

"Murder, probably not, but lock up in the palace forever and ever? Probably. In fact, I can't blame you for wanting to leave even if it is on some ridiculous imaginary quest." She stood up, soft pink slippers making a thud on the marble floor. "Come to the library when you're done. Mute girl's getting interesting."

"Don't call her that."

"I'll call her whatever I want until I find out her name. Anyway. She seems to like mermaids. Maybe she is one," Suirin said and giggled.

"You're ridiculous, you know that?"

"Ridiculous, or genius?" She went to the threshold and turned around. "Library. Ten minutes. Don't forget."
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:18 pm
CelticaNoir says...

Elia | Still in the library

Elia's feet itched from the remainder of the barefooted walk through the forest. A spare sun ray rippled across her face, and her nose wrinkled almost immediately in response; she brushed a strand of hair away from her eyes. Out of impatience, she had gotten one of the ladders that the librarians used and propped it up against the bookcase nicely. One step...another step...and another...

"Hey, mute girl!" Elia grasped on the ladder for support as her legs wobbled dangerously; the princess had come back, and was staring up at her as if she had never seen a specimen quite like her. "What do you think you're doing?!"

Elia turned her back resolutely on Suirin and started climbing up the ladder again, until she was level with the book. She grasped and pulled it out, pulling quite a few more books out along with it, which dropped to the ground unceremoniously. The human princess was still staring up at her. "Be careful, you'll hurt somebody!" It was clear she meant herself. Elia rolled her eyes and started going back down.

Just as she got to the last few steps of the ladder, her legs started to give under the stress she had put them under. Obviously, they weren't too stable yet. Elia wrinkled her nose and jumped off smoothly, the heavy book still in her arms. Suirin shook her head in wonder. "You are one weird fish, I'll give you that."

You don't know exactly how much of a fish I am. Elia couldn't voice her thoughts, however, and only grinned. Suirin clapped her hands together. "Now that everyone's here and safely on the ground, including mute girl here--" Elia stomped her feet, making Suirin glance back at her. "You're not called mute girl?" The mermaid shook her head vehemently. "What's your name, then?"

Elia jumped up and down, and then got an idea. Holding the book in one arm, she started transcribing alphabets onto the book cover with her finger. "E...l...i...a. Elia. So that's your name." Suirin looked thoughtful for a moment. "What do you think, Taris? Pretty name, isn't it?"

The mute girl turned around, noticing Taris behind her. Upon seeing her, he changed expression slightly, as if still not sure what to make of her. Well, she didn't blame him. After all, he probably still had a vague impression of her singing to him. She sincerely hoped he didn't bother himself too much with it, though. "Y-yeah...I suppose. Elia, huh? That's actually kind of cute."

Elia wondered. She wondered why they hadn't mentioned anything about the mermaid princesses yet. After all, she did share a name with one of them--at least that should have struck them. Maybe they didn't know? But that girl did. I wonder how?

"So." Suirin slung an arm around her shoulders. "Where are you from?"
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:11 pm
gleek456 says...

Susan Madrival- The Palace[/i]

"I'm leaving. Tonight. I will explain on the way. If you want to come? If not, I will leave. Please?" Prince Dominic asked. I raised an eyebrow. At first, he didn't want me to come with him on his journey for Prince Charming, and now... what is going on?

"What's going on Prince Dominic?" I wondered aloud. Prince Dominic looked at the ground. I grabbed his hand, which made him look up to me.

"What's going on?" I asked again. He sighed.

"I'm getting married," he answered. I dropped his hand and looked at the ground. Married? So soon? Wait, why am I feeling like this? I don't really look at him like that! But still, this is so soon.

"Oh, that's why," I said quietly. I squinted at Prince Dominic.

"You do know that if I go with you, I'll lose my place as my lady's lady-in-waiting," I said. I sighed when Prince Dominic's face looked so... devestated.

"Fine. I'll go with you," I said.

[b]Cinderella- Middle Country

My eyes widened at "The Wolf" as she held the arrow towards me. My breathing quickened. 3 inches deep in my skull? Wow, would that hurt! From the corner of my eye, I could see Charming back away with his sword down. I sighed in disappointment. Thanks Charming. Then, The Wolf suddenly screamed and wolves surrounded her. I just stood there watching as she left. I turned to Charming.

"What was that?!" I asked. Charming sighed and sheathed his sword.

"Protection," he simply answered. I put my hands on my hips and nodded.

"Protection... right," I said sarcastically. Charming sighed.

"Did you want the arrow in your skull?" he asked. I bit my lip and shook my head.

"Then there you go," he said. I nodded and moved closer to Charming, putting my head on his shoulder.

(Hope this is okay!)
YOU'VE GOT THAT ONE THING

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:55 pm
PrincessOfDarkness says...

Prince Dominic ¬

"Fine. I'll go with you," It was unnatural how high my heart seemed to soar as the words.

"I promise, Lady Susan, that once I am - King - I will give you back your title as Lady's Maid. You mean too much to me to be banished,"

I mounted the horse, smiling at Susan. She was coming with me.

"We ride?" She asked.

"We ride."

And we rode off into the night.
Signature Pending

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:31 pm
Sunshine says...

Love the sisterly/brotherly nicknames Stella! 'Rin and Ris.' Pretty awesome!

Prince Taris Reginson- East Country, Palace Library

"What do you think, Taris? Pretty name, isn't it?" Suirin asked her brother.

The Crown Prince blinked as his sister and the mute girl, Elia, turned towards him. Shock wavered through him as he saw Elia's strange violet eyes. She was most definatly the girl that hade sang to him on the beach. She had to be. Didn't she?

"Y-Yeah...I suppose. Elia, huh. That's kinda cute."

"So." Suirin grinned, slinging her arm around Elia's shoulder in a rather unladylike manner. "Where are you from."

Elia frowned, like she wasn't really sure what to answer. Taris sent a frown at his sister for asking to many question's. A name was one thing, but making a guest uncomfortable with all her questions? Taris couldn't help but sigh. He did love his sister, with all his heart, but sometimes...one could wonder about her. Elia blinked, pointing to a book that read 'Here and there.'

"Ah. Well, at least you lived a life of adventure. Unlike some girl's."

Even with Taris' low intelligence he knew that Suirin was talking about herself. Why in the world did she want to come with him to the Middle Kingdom? At first, she'd been totally against it. Now, she wanted to journey with him? The girl made no sense. Not to mention, with her high intelligent level she should be able to understand that it was his duty to make this journey-alone. Elia shrugged.

"Rin..." Taris muttered.

His sister ignored him, turning back to Elia with a smile. "What brings you to the East Kingdom?"

I know it's not much, but I hope it help's a little!
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:04 pm
View Likes
Skorpionne says...

Snow White | Vesperwoods | Middle Country
(I imagine Vesperwoods sprawling over the border, btw.)

The familiar and comforting weight of a sword on her hip. The warmth of a horse beneath her. The sky blue as forget-me-nots. Before Gareth’s death, Snow could have lost herself in such a glorious day. Not that day, though.

Snow’s mind was filled only with the wild hope and desperation that her encounter with the Enchantress had given her... A chance for the empty space at her side to be filled once more.

The army at her back would accomplish that.

Praesa | South Country

If Auntie was one thing, she was demanding.

To keep king Gareth alive for any significant amount of time, I would need to exchange blood with him at least once a month. Goodbye, peace and quiet. Goodbye, books.

The glass containers on my well-stocked shelves rattled as I removed the lavender. Hmm. I was nearly out of it. Nine heads, the book said. Did I have enough? Out came the old copper brazier. Rusty. Well, that was understandable; it hadn’t been used in 50 years, after all. I bet my sickle was blunt, too. So that would have to be sharpened before midnight. What a pain!

Still, it was nice to be doing something rather than reading about it. Of course, I’d resurrected things before, but only one human. The others had all been mice. I liked to experiment, so what?

Resigned to the task before me, I plonked the brazier outside, dropped the lavender in, and wandered back inside. The sickle was blunt. I sat down, took up my whetstone, and began to sharpen it.

A few hours later, and the half moon was high in the sky. Time to get to work.

Dun, dun, DUUUUUN!
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:01 pm
Skull3670 says...

Clumsy
Vesperwoods

Ever since we had returned from the meeting with the Enchantres, Snow had obsessed herself with gathering an army. I spent much of my day trying to minimise the possible casualties of the campaign and talk her out of open war, to no avail. What little time remained was spent reading up on the Legends of the White Dwarf. If only i had his mighty gifts this whole war could be averted, countless lives saved, and the land freed of the scourge of the Enchantress.
Now i sat on giggles, riding along side an gigantic army, her saddle bags filled with vials and packages of herbs and other ingredients for creating many life saving tonics.
Despited Snows repeat questioning i had managed to avoid producing any tonics that would injure others or aid her soldiers. I had however produced her a thunderstone. In an emergency she could cast it upon the ground and be instantly returned to the holder of the other stone, in this case me.
Unwilling to harm others i may be, i would not allow her to die. She could still be saved, i was sure of it.
I have looked into the eye of the storm and stared it down. I am an adrenaline junky and i know no fear.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:35 pm
Rydia says...

My apologies in advance since this will be a very generic post, but if any of you should like to find yourselves a wood-cutter, feel free to insert character here.

Edward; Somewhere in an unknown forest

It was late and Eddy felt very alone; he couldn't remember when last he had chanced upon a small village or homestead. Maybe a week back, maybe an entire month. He'd never been much good at counting, so the days just seemed to flicker by in their fives and tens, until he forgot how many fives and tens there had been. He didn't even know how old he was. That didn't bother him so much now, not since he'd decided that it could be his birthday whenever he wanted it to be, but he did get lonely some nights. He even missed that smelly, old bard he'd travelled with for a month or two. The man had stunk worse than a whole herd of swine, but at least he'd been companionable and someone to talk to. Maybe it was time to start looking for a village again.

Edward walked a little further until he reached a small clearing that seemed a good enough place to set up camp. He dropped his pack on the ground and swung his axe down from his back, its sharp head biting deep into the soil. Edward left it there for a moment as he gathered some dry moss and brittle twigs to build a pyramid like his da had shown him. Then came the easy part. He whistled up a tune as he stripped down to his bare chest and started to cut down the nearest tree.

"Timber!" he called as the axe bit through the wood with sharp, deft blows. He didn't think there was anyone around but he always called out; it was the wood-cutting way. "There she goes." He grinned idiotically and watched as the tree thumped to the ground. Man. He never got bored of that sound, the pure, solid thump of a tree well felled. Eddy had set about chopping it up for firewood when he realised he was being watched and stopped to wipe the sweat from his brow.

"Hey," he drawled, turning to look at the girl. "Are you in search of some wood?" Which was exactly what Eddy meant. But the girl seemed to take it the wrong way and gave him a look that was half startled and disgusted. Eddy was confused. Did she really find his sweaty body so disgusting? Edward knew girls liked their men clean but he'd just been chopping wood! How could she expect him to stay clean when he was chopping wood? "For... you know, fires and stuff. I'm going to take some back for my fire, but I can chop you a few logs as well." Whenever Eddy took a tree down, he always chopped it in its entirety, carrying what he could with him and leaving the rest neatly stacked for any other travellers who happened upon his path. That had been how the bard had found him; by following the trail of wood.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:38 pm
JabberHut says...

(Ehhh, I hope this works out alright. PM me for anything!)

General Julian Steelblade, IV | Vesperwoods | Middle Country

The General waited upon his steed for his queen's orders, eyes narrowed. The lack of command was annoying him, but he waited anyway. His men all started to talk to themselves, and while this bothered Julian, he couldn't blame them for the impatience.

The dwarf had given Snow an interesting stone. Its many edges were smoothed as if carved by mortal hands, the soft gold and bronze gleaming in the fading sun. The General had overheard the conversation, as he usually did, and approved of a quick getaway for the queen. Magic, on the other hand, he wasn't very keen on. He looked away immediately and resumed waiting impatiently for the orders. Well... the waiting didn't last long.

"Your majesty, do you plan to camp for the night or move in now?"

The queen didn't make any move. She was staring at the stone in her hands, twirling it around while lost in thought. The General bit back a retort to the silence. He didn't bring his men to stand out in the open.

Suddenly reminded of the noice, the General made sure his helmet was still intact on his saddle, turned his mount and moved well into his army, his armor clanking. The men immediately fell silent at the General's glaring look -- like a stab in the heart. Their actions were copied like a chain reaction amidst the group until it Julian could finally hear the crickets chirping.

The General turned back around and trotted next to his queen. "Your orders, my lady?"

Snow White finally looked up, giving him a somber expression, then pocketed the stone. "Julian, you're his friend." The General tensed, eyes narrowed once again. The queen impressively didn't recoil at all but continued her words. "You'd do the same thing."

Julian didn't answer that question for many reasons: now wasn't the time, he wasn't one for small talk, his men were watching, etc. He resumed looking out at the vastness of Middle Country. "Orders, your majesty."

The queen nodded solemnly and looked up toward the openness before her. "Let's move."
I make my own policies.

I am proud of my self, the reason why some of you might disagree with me a little with, but nevertheless I still proud.
— Oxara