z

Young Writers Society

Daybreak

311 Reviews

Reviews: 311
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:26 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Is something wrong?" Addison asked from deeper inside the house.
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:36 am
View Likes
Stringbean says...

"Well--" Natalia looked at Michael a second. "No, nothing's wrong exactly, just-- unexpected."
she/her/they
acethetic and paronoid
*waves leafy fronds*

37 Reviews

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:31 pm
View Likes
Stringbean says...

Down by the river, where the banks were deep and narrow and the reeds grew up and were brown now, it was quiet. The water was low and flowing along quietly with little ripples. Beside the brush, in a thick bed of bright leaves, a young man was curled up on his side, napping contentedly despite the chill. The breeze blew and carried a little red leaf across his faintly green cheek. The corner of his mouth twitched.

A fat, gray racoon came up from the bank nearby, pausing when it saw the sleeping figure. It's black eyes twinkled in their mask and it's nose twitched. It crept forward after a long moment, nose working curiously up and down the bigger creature's cream sleeve and along the upright collar of his brown vest. The racoon inspected the wood grained tip of the dryad's pointed ear. The bigger creature moved, shrugging his shoulder up to his ear and the racoon hissed, stepping back. The dryad started with a loud rustling of leaves as he tried to sit up, there was a growl close by, a sputtering flash of a shield-like disk at the dryad's side, created by his hand going up reflexively, which in turn made him slip and fall onto his back again in the leaves. He sat up, still wide eyed, and watched the fat, cat-like animal go running off along the river bank.

Lilo stared a moment, then laughed to himself with no sound and stretched. He flopped back into the leaves with a sigh and stared up through the nearly bare tree branches at the sky and sunlight for a minute or two. He was thinking about something. Or someone maybe. Laying beside the river reminded him of laying on the deck of a ship not so long ago. He remembered Sinestra singing a song one night, but he couldn't quite remember the tune. It had been a language he didn't know, but it was beautiful and made him think of starlight.

A long, soft sigh left him and he finally sat up again, pushing himself to his feet. Lilo brushed the leaves off his clothes and glanced around, then turned and started strolling back towards the village with his hands in his pockets. Someone was herding their small flock of sheep up the main road. He went around and passed by where a group of children were playing a game with pebbled and stones in the dirt. They jumped up when they saw him and crowed around him, the youngest ones giggling and holding his shirt tails, half a dozen of them talking at once. "Lilo, do the trick! The trick, Lilo, come on!"

A slightly older boy, maybe twelve, called over them from a little bit ahead, a red apple in his hand. "Here, Lilo, catch!" Just as the dryad looked up, the apple came at him on a gentle arc. He put his hands out, palms up, as if to catch it, but instead as the apple came down, a small, transparent field of energy like a glass disk flickered momentarily and bounced it back up. The red fruit came down and bounced off another, then a third, and finally Lilo changed the angle of his hand and sent it back towards the boy who'd tossed it. The boy caught it and the children started chattering and giggling again.

Lilo laughed silently too as the older boy sent two more apples his way, one after the other. Lilo followed them in the air with his large, pale green eyes and a look of focus as he rebounded them one after the other over his head. His shoulder dipped a little as a small, skinny boy somehow managed to climb up onto his arm. One of his force fields sputtered a half second, just missing the second apple, and it fell behind him against a woman's head. She let out an "Oh!" of surprise, then leveled a scowl on the dryad and berated him as she came at him with a rolled up blanket she was carrying. Lilo tried not to smile as he ducked away from her, swinging the child on his shoulder down to the ground gently. The kids were all laughing and flitting away from the angry woman too as Lilo waded past them with a quick smile, then started back on his way towards the houses nearer the gate of the stronghold.
she/her/they
acethetic and paronoid
*waves leafy fronds*

37 Reviews

Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:10 pm
View Likes
Stringbean says...

[We're doing a bit of a timeskip to later that evening to get things going again. The next post is co-written by @Vil and myself.]
she/her/they
acethetic and paronoid
*waves leafy fronds*

37 Reviews

Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:23 pm
View Likes
Stringbean says...

Honorine was knitting in a rocking chair that David and Lamarr had painted and carved for her in the corner of the little stone house. Ismelda sat on her bed, reading through one of Sinestra's diaries, remembering, remembering... What was it that she was supposed to remember?

How much the old woman had forgotten sincerely surprised her. With Phineas gone and Sinestra abroad, it was up to her to remember all that she could of ancient history and lore. For all she knew, a giant fire-breathing toad could appear, and she'd have to know how to defeat it, but if she'd forgotten everything--

"Life was easy in Allegoria," Ismelda stated rather frankly. "We were born, we ruled for a few years, and we died. Some of us had children. I had children. One died, the other's killing everything that moves. I hate my family."

Honorine looked up skeptically. "I'm your family."

"Except you, then," the ancient replied gruffly.

"Natalia?"

"And her."

"The Dragonhearts?"

"I don't hate all of them, but don't press your luck."

"Marie?"

Ismelda sighed and closed Sinestra's diary. "Honorine, dear, if you want to remain my favorite and in my employ, you will not mention her lest I fire you like I fired Michael. Now, to punish you... go take a nap."

"...What kind of punishment is that?" Honorine asked confusedly.

"I'm decreasing your productivity."

"...*Nava." Reluctantly, Honorine stood and went back to her small room, leaving her knitting behind.

Within just a few minutes, there was a knock on the door.

"Honorine!" Ismelda called. "You aren't being punished anymore! You can stop pretending to sleep!"

Excitedly, Honorine rushed out of the room and then opened the front door. "Hello, Natalia. Care to come in?"

Natalia gave her a smile with a-- mildly confused look about what she'd thought she'd just heard on the other side of the door. "Thank you, Honorine," she said as she stepped inside. She gave Ismelda a respectful nod in greeting.

Honorine gently shut the door and sat in her rocking chair again, returning to her knitting. "I think everyone is getting a scarf for Christmas."

Natalia stared at her clicking needles for a moment as she pulled her shawl snugger around her shoulders. "They'll be appreciated, for certain." Natalia had learned to knit herself after coming to Sanctum, but didn't think she was very good at it. Her mind wandered too much as she worked and she always seemed to end up with dropped stitches and holes where there hadn't been any before.

"So, why are you here?" Ismelda asked. "Is it because I fired Michael or because I've been using Honorine as a maid for the past five years, because I have explantions for the first and with the second-- you do it, too, admit it."

"Well, I--" Natalia blinked and pulled out one of the table chairs instead of trying to answer that. "Well... Michael told me that you asked him to step down."

"No, I fired him. There's a difference," Ismelda replied.

The younger woman pressed her thumb into her other palm in the lap of her skirt and her gaze shifted away a second as she nodded. "Yes, I-- suppose there is..." She realized she was a bit hunched over and straightened in her seat. "What I don't understand is why? What has he done wrong?"

"Is he happy about it?" Ismelda asked.

Natalia visibly paused as she looked at Ismelda. "...Yes."

"There. Problem solved. He'll be able to sleep at night again."

Natalia was studying her now. "That's why you did it...? Beause he wouldn't himself?"

"Do you want the full, harsh, painful truth that Sinestra would give you, or do you want the happier, less murder-y, more politically corect version of the story?"

"Tell me truth," Natalia answered quietly.

Ismelda sighed and took a deep breath. "I know things, Natalia. Many things. Jaques, Calcitrop, and Hastam were not the only leaders to commit war crimes. With a war criminal as our leader, how can we truly--"

"War criminal?!" Natalia stared at Ismelda like she'd just reached over and slapped her, a flare of anger edged in her voice.

"Yes, Natalia, war criminal," Ismelda huffed. "Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about. He ordained the bombing of civilians cities, too. He cut off essential supplies to Thira and left people to join him or starve. He-- Natalia, just listen. Don't talk-- listen."

Natalia looked away from her, tears faintly brimming in her troubled eyes, but didn't speak.

"If we want to be able to bring the Thirans and the Allegorians to the table, I had to punish Michael. Michael has, in my opinion, been adequately punished: he has no power anymore. He has no more say so in how things are done in the world than Lamarr or, say, that Bobby man you met when you lived in Campaignia. He has been 'punished' to the fullest extent that I think we can punish him, really. Now, we have a queen with a clean record that's going to be remembered as a great uniter rather than the source of division. It's not just for the good of Belecthoria, but also the world at large."

Natalia kept her face turned away, though her eyes wouldn't settle on anything against the side wall. She pinched a fold in her skirt tightly enough to turn her fingertips white, but her hand still trembled. A minute or so passed. "Jaques is a villain," she whispered to herself. "Jaques is..." She turned her head just enough to look at Ismelda. "Michael isn't anything like him." Maybe she wasn't even looking for an answer. Her fingers bunched up the fabric she was holding as a moment passed. A single tear broke down her cheek and she quickly turned her face away again.

"I know that, Natalia. But the Allegorians and Thirans don't and won't see it that way."

Natalia slowly released a sigh. She brushed her finger across her cheek quickly, still silent. Finally she took a deep, steady breath and said more calmly, "You won't want me either then, it-- it wouldn't work."

"I accept your resignation," Ismelda stated simply.

Her shoulders rose and sank silently. Natalia gave a nod, then stood once more and pushed the table chair back in place before looking up at anyone. "I'm going for a walk... If my family comes looking for me, would you tell them that please?"

"I will," Honorine said.

Natalia nodded to her a little and drew her shawl close again. She looked at Ismelda, dropping her eyes. "Goodnight, *Metroma."

"Goodnight, Natalia."

With one more glance to meet her elder's eyes a second, Natalia turned to the door and went out, closing it softly behind her.

acethetic and paronoid
*waves leafy fronds*

37 Reviews

Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:00 pm
View Likes
Stringbean says...

The river flowed like a soft black ribbon between its banks in the night. Ripples glinted in the light of a half moon, but Natalia's eyes, black as the river in the darkness, didn't see. They stared down over her arms folded across her knees, the cold breeze cutting through her shirt and twisting the hem of her dark skirt around. Her wine red shawl was pulled tightly, the tips of her dark hair playing against it low on her back.

The sound of footsteps behind her made her lift her head alertly. A figure with his hands in his coat pockets came near. Natalia recognized the dark eyes and hard, but delicately featured face of Harry. She looked down to hide the tearstains on her face as he came and sat beside her in the scattered leaves.

"What are you doing out?" she asked softly.

Harry was taking his pipe from his mouth, inspecting the smoldering tobacco leaves packed inside. "I saw you leave Ismelda's, go off the road. Got to be careful outside the village at night. Bears and whatnot."

Natalia sniffed quietly and brushed a bit of hair back with a nod. She knew that, but... where else had there been to go? She stared out at the land across the narrow river and for a while they both sat in silence.

"I stopped by Hope's earlier," Harry said. His dark eyes were fixed on the horizon blotted out by trees ahead of them. "She was out on her porch and heard about Michael. Not the details really, but enough." He paused and looked over at his cousin. She was still staring into the forest with her arms on her knees. He waited, but she didn't say anything. So he went on a little.

"I guess you talked to her about that... Did she say anything about you?" He looked over at her again, but it seemed at first like she wasn't going to answer.

"She let me resign."

Harry hesitated a second. "Oh... Then who..."

"Sinny."

Harry nodded and looked back at his pipe. The wind rustled the grasses around them. He put the pipe stem between his lips and drew it in, puffing silently.

"To work as hard as you can... trying not to let it kill you, for so d*** long..." Her voice slipped into a whisper. "And in the end to just not be good enough..."

Her cousin turned and studied the side of her face in the faint light, finally taking his pipe from his mouth.

Natalia opened her mouth and tilted her head a little, searching for words that just didn't exist. "If she had just said-- she was doing it for his own good--" She pursed her lips and looked up, drawing a breath, then hung her head and ran her fingers into her dark hair. "I've been trying to tell myself these last few years that the past is in the past, but it's not, it's here. It's always here, every mistake..."

"Natalia, all of us have made mistakes. You've helped to do a lot of good also, more than people like me ever did."

She turned her head to look at him from behind her arms. "I can't be proud of my life, Harry. Don't tell me to, I can't be. This was my life's work, and just look at it... Our home, Michael's, a trillion other people's... It'd all have been better off without me and my good intentions."

They looked at each other for a moment, then Natalia turned her face away again. Harry looked down at the river, his pipe forgotten in his hand. It'd gone out, the red glow part of the darkness now. The water trickled along in the silence for a minute.

"Have you talked to Michael about this?" Harry asked softly.

"I'm scared too," she whispered. "He seems ready to move on, he deserves to, but I just, I don't know how. I've never known how. I've been-- trying so hard," she said in a thickening voice as new tears filled her eyes, "to be okay. But it's-- it's like I'm stuck, Harry, I try and I just can't get anywhere." She shut her eyes and said just barely loud enough for him to make out the words, "Nava, I'm so scared of what he'd think."

Harry stared at her, a bad feeling like a cold stone slowly settling into the pit of his chest. "He loves you, Natalia... He'd want to help."

"No one wants to deal with this!" she said suddenly turning to him. "Is this what you want to be doing right now, Harry, out in the middle of the night, dealing with this?" Before he could figure out how to answer, she said a little quieter again, "Could you imagine living with this, stuck with it every day, tinging of good thing you try to have? I'm not good enough for Michael, Harry." She could barely get her breath around the hard lump in her throat as she looked at him. "All I do is hold him back... And I know he never would, but sometimes-- Part of me is always so scared he's going to go, just like Jaq."

Harry shook his head a little with a troubled frown. "Michael's not going to leave you, he--"

"I know he won't," she said quietly, "but I couldn't blame him if he did... I can't even blame--" Natalia suddenly cut herself off and shut her eyes. She leaned her forehead against her wrists and took a few deep breaths. She finished the truth in a quiet whisper. "I don't even blame Jaq for leaving."

They were silent again, Harry watching Natalia and her not looking up. He finally shifted his gaze, looking at his burnt-out pipe. He knocked it out against the ground slowly with a dull thudding sound, then a sigh. "Let's get you home," he murmured. His joints popped as he stood.

"I'm not ready to go back yet."

Harry paused in bending down to slide an arm under hers. He sighed. "You'll catch your death of cold out here, Natalia, if a wild animal doesn't find you first." Her watched her shoulders sink a little, then she shifted to get up. He helped her to her feet and shoved his hands back in his pockets as they turned back towards the road.

"Don't you ever breath a word to him," she said quietly without looking up.

Harry blinked ahead at the dark forms of houses lined up along the road. "I know."
Last edited by Stringbean on Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
she/her/they
acethetic and paronoid
*waves leafy fronds*

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:38 am
View Likes
SilverNight says...

Spoiler! :
Co-written with the wonderful Stringbean

Now that it was just over a week before winter started, the sun would set much earlier. That was why the girl in the shadows didn't have to wait until it was actually nightfall to travel under darkness. It was around late afternoon when she finally dared to step out of the trees, once she'd checked that there was no one in sight.

A hood shadowed her delicate features as she snuck out of the forest, her steps and breathing nearly silent. If there had been someone watching, they might have glimpsed the dark figure, but blink and it would be gone, like they'd only imagined it. The wood had served as excellent cover for hiding, and she'd been lurking for a bit. No one had seen her yet, and she liked it that way. But this evening, she had to reveal herself to someone.

A pair of clear blue eyes searched the clearing where the forest ended, scanning for threats before that sharp gaze landed on the silhouette of a very small stone house against the darkening sky. The figure slowly walked in its direction. A faint light shone in one of the windows. Perhaps a candle was burning, and it suggested the spy was awake. Perfect. The girl glanced towards the rest of the village, which was further off. In just an hour or two, everyone would be sitting around their dinner tables, ready to eat. They had to be ready before then.

The light wind made her black cloak ripple behind her slightly-- perfect for an entrance. A faint smirk rested on her lips as she grabbed the door's handle and flung it open, with no knock or warning.

Evelyn was alone inside, gathering her supper dishes from the table in front of the door. Her wooden bowl and the cup and spoon stacked inside it clattered to the floor, just as her amber eyes locked onto the face of the figure in the doorway. The dread inside her spread across her own face plainly. She dropped her eyes to the floor quickly and took a couple steps back towards the wall.

"Did I come at a bad time?" Selena asked casually as she closed the door behind her. "Make sure to lock the door more often, if you're not a fan of unexpected visitors." She couldn't help but take some pleasure in Evelyn's shock as she grinned ever so slightly and took her hood off. As she glanced around the small home, she sniffed the air. "Well, I suppose it's an upgrade from an Allegorian dungeon."

Evelyn bumped into the wall behind her and flinched slightly. She squatted down to pick up the dishes she'd scattered, eyeing Selena's boots from the corner of her eye warily. Hopefully she wasn't expected to reply, because she couldn't think of one to give and kept her lips clamped shut.

The smile grew wider as Selena clapped her hands excitedly, taking a seat in one of Evelyn's chairs-- without asking first, obviously. There was a rather wicked look on her face as she examined her spy. "So, to business!" she said brightly. If she spoke that way, it always meant she was planning something bad-- though it didn't seem like she was considering hurting Evelyn. "I see you've been making some friends, right?"

Evelyn willed her hand not to shake as she reached for her cup on the floorboards. "I'm getting to know a few people a little." She stood, keeping her eyes down, and took her dishes across the small room, dropping them in the bucket that serves as her wash basin. She turned to face Selena, standing still with her hands behind her back.

"Excellent." Selena tilted her head to the side, her gaze seeming to scan the spy like an X-ray. "I hope you haven't been forgetting to keep a close watch on them. So, what can you tell me about them?"

Some of Evelyn's auburn hair had fallen into her face, but she left it. She'd been struck often enough for smaller movements when at attention. She answered calmly with the information she'd been rehearsing in her head for the last two weeks. "There's a family of three sisters, acquainted with one of the king and queen's sons, but of no influence. A nurse, she's closer to two of the sons, but I think she knows the whole family. I've only met one of the king and queen's sons. He's come by sometimes with the nurse."

A spark of interest flared in Selena's blue eyes. "Ah, that's going to be useful sometime..." She thought for a moment, turning the information over in her mind. "Alright... What are they like? Do they trust you?"

Evelyn hesitated briefly. "More or less. The son and one of the sisters want to be friends I think." Her stomach tensed a little more than the rest of her already was.

"Hmm..." Selena nodded slowly. "Well, don't get too attached to any of them." Her eyes glittered malevolently. "How do you feel about poisoning the royal family?"

The young woman froze, noticeable only because she was being watched so closely, because she was already standing still. Her eyes widened at the floor before she could stop it. "You said you needed me to gather information."

Selena rolled her eyes. "Yeah, changed my mind. It's not like I can do it myself. I look exactly like that sister of mine, and it'd be far too hard for me to get away with it. Even if I could, it'd be very suspicious. You, however..." She raised a dark eyebrow. "They think you're one of them. But to them, you're also no one. No one will remember the girl who happens to be preparing the Dragonheart family dinner tonight."

"Tonight?" Evelyn's blood was pulsing quicker by the minute.

"No, we're waiting until the sky turns strawberry-red and there's a double rainbow," the spymaster said sarcastically. "You heard me. I said tonight."

Tonight. It was already dark, that meant tonight was very soon. Evelyn stared at the floor, her mind scrambling for a way out and an aging man's shallow, beaten face gazing at her inside her mind.

"Aw, come on, Fletcher." Selena sighed in frustration. "Yes, it's a messy task, but it's gotta be done." She narrowed her eyes ever so slightly. "You're not getting too fond of the king and queen's son, are you? And it's not like I'm asking you to kill your other friends. You can keep them for some time. They don't need to die, but the Dragonhearts do."

Evelyn forced herself not to see Jay's face. Her voice sounded odd to her as she replied, "I've never killed anyone in my life."

Selena shrugged. "Well, what better way to start than by killing a whole family at once?"
"silv is obsessed with heists" ~Omni

"silv why didn't you tell me you were obsessed with heists I thought we were friends" ~Ace

"y’all we outnumber silver let’s overthrow her >:]" ~winter

silver (she/they)

37 Reviews

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:40 am
View Likes
Stringbean says...

[Co-written with the wonderful and shimmery Shadow XD]

Evelyn started to shake her head, just barely catching herself. "I don't know how to get in," she said, trying to come up with some kind of excuse.

"The kitchen takes volunteers," she said with a smirk. "Can you make a salad? Then you can kill someone."

The spy shifted on her feet without realizing it and remained silent this time.

"Fletcher." The amusement and playfulness was gone. "For your old man's sake, I'd suggest you follow orders."

Evelyn's throat went tight. Her breath slid down her throat as she inhaled, then answered quietly, "Yes, ma'am."

"Wonderful." Just as suddenly as Selena's mood had darkened, it brightened again. She winked at the spy as she reached into a leather pouch on her hip. "So, want to know what you'll be using?"

Evelyn wondered sometimes what their faces looked like when they were speaking to people like her. What sorts of expressions matched the changes in their voices. She wondered about Selena's face. She knew it well enough to recognize it from watching her while she was occupied with someone else, not in the immediate vicinity. But watch too long and you got a kick from behind or a clubbing in the back of the head for not working, not minding your own business. It didn't matter what Selena's face looked like as she spoke to Evelyn. All Evelyn needed to know was the proper order of things, and she did. "What is it?" she asked. Emotion had gone out of her voice.

"The Heart's Thorn," Selena announced, revealing a flower with deep purple petals. She handed it over to Evelyn. "Now, be careful with that. Don't lick your fingers once you've touched it."

The other young woman reached out and took it in her fingers, careful not to touch Selena's hand. The flower was small, with six, smooth, rounded petals fanning out from the stamen. "They'll know if I drop this into anything," she said after inspecting it a moment.

"Not if you grind it up, they won't." Selena smirked again. "That's the beauty of this flower. Every bit of it, from the petals to the roots, is a deadly poison, and it doesn't take much. If you're seen doing it, just explain that it's decorative. People put flowers in fancy salads-- and if anyone's eating anything fancy here, it's the royal family."

Evelyn drew the flower, cupped protectively in her hand, closer to her stomach and slowly nodded.

"Remember, you won't be the one bringing the salad to them, of course. Too risky. But there's always a maid or someone that actually does the job of delivering it. Just get it in the food as sneakily as you can, and make sure it gets to the right household." Selena's face was dangerously close to Evelyn's, so that it was very difficult for the other girl to avoid her gaze. "Understood?"

Evelyn pressed the side of her hand into her stomach to try to keep it from shaking, trying to keep her eyes down on the delicate petals against the pull of them being drawn upward. They went as far as Selena's lips as they formed the last, edged word. Evelyn nodded her head in tiny movements. Her own words came out as small as her captor's had threateningly. "Yes, ma'am."

Selena's face split into a grin as she took a step back. "Perfect. Do this right, and you might even get a couple days off-duty." Her gaze flicked over to an ice pack that was very much liquid water at this point. "I'm not blind, I can see you're injured. You'll work better with a bit of rest." She chuckled. "But not too much."

It was hard to pull her own gaze back down again. Evelyn forced it all the way to the floorboards at her feet, heart still pounding above everything else going on in her head. Her jaw was tight. She gave a small, short nod and her eyes shifted slowly towards the bottom of the door as she waited, almost eagerly, to be dismissed.

"Yes, it's probably best you hurry. I'll be on my way too." The spymaster pulled her hood back up as she turned towards the door. She glanced over her shoulder at Evelyn one last time. "Don't let us down."

Without waiting for a reply, Selena opened the door. The evening wind was blowing stronger, making her cloak ripple in the darkness behind her as she disappeared back into the woods.

Standing alone in the room of her house, Evelyn watched the end of Selena's cloak follow her out the door, leaving a draft of cold air behind her. She took a deep breath. Her honey eyes fell to the poison cupped in her palm. Her murder weapon. She stared at it a long minute, her hand steadily trembling more.

Her fingers closed carefully around the bloom. "I'm sorry, Papa," she whispered, and put out the light before hurrying out the door.
she/her/they
acethetic and paronoid
*waves leafy fronds*

37 Reviews

Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:08 pm
View Likes
Stringbean says...

There was a room on the ground floor of Sanctum that had been converted into a large cooking space. There were three fires lined down the center of the room with massive black cauldrons hung over the flames, a hardy smelling soup bubbling away inside. The space was almost bustling with cooks, mostly teenagers and gray haired women in knitted shawls.

Evelyn stepped inside the doorway, scanning the room slowly as she shifted her back to the wall with an instinctual kind of lack of thought. People were lined along wooden tables around the outside of the room, cutting, pealing, dicing, going back and forth from the simmering cauldrons to drop things in. She released a breath. Her fist was in her pant pocket, the flower cupped inside. She wove her way across the room to a place where a knife had been left laying beside some carrots and picked it up, hiding the bloom in her other hand as she feigned to reach for one of the vegetables.
she/her/they
acethetic and paronoid
*waves leafy fronds*

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:10 am
View Likes
AceassinOfTheMoon says...

As Evelyn reached for the carrot, another hand reached out to grab it.
"O-oh!" Astra squeaked, pulling her hand back. "I'm so sorry, I wasn't paying attention."
this is Ace erasure and I won't stand for it— silv

I haven't really said anything about ace but that's cause I'm usually speechless with how awesome ace is— Harry

Ace, you’re aggressively loved. Accept or perish.— Wist

[Ace]
[she/they/xe]

37 Reviews

Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:44 am
View Likes
Stringbean says...

Evelyn's hand started to withdraw too as she looked up. The blossom started to slip from her palm, so she grabbed the carrot quickly as she stared at the youngest of the Sanderson sisters. "Sorry."
she/her/they
acethetic and paronoid
*waves leafy fronds*

13 Reviews

Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:32 am
View Likes

"N-no! No, it's my fault, I'm sorry," Astra apologized. "I wasn't paying attention to what I was grabbing."

I haven't really said anything about ace but that's cause I'm usually speechless with how awesome ace is— Harry

[Ace]
[she/they/xe]

37 Reviews

Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:04 am
View Likes
Stringbean says...

Evelyn glanced away from her, feeling her heart pound a bit, and shrugged. "It's fine."
she/her/they
acethetic and paronoid
*waves leafy fronds*

13 Reviews

Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:24 am
View Likes

"Y-you're Evelyn, right?" Astra asked, changing the subject awkwardly.

[Ace]
[she/they/xe]

37 Reviews

Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:32 am
View Likes
Stringbean says...

Evelyn's shoulders felt tense as she inhaled and glanced over at Astra through a curl of auburn hair that had fallen over her eye. She nodded once and started slowly cutting the carrot into slices. "You were at the nurse's tent a couple weeks ago. Kamea's sister?"
she/her/they
acethetic and paronoid
*waves leafy fronds*

they got that magical iridescence that you don't expect to be on a sky rat y'know
— Ari11