z

Young Writers Society

The 16 Kingdoms

311 Reviews

Reviews: 311
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:38 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Astoria nodded. "Of course, I understand. I apologize if we seem harsher towards one another, but we try to be more plain and direct with one another. But, back to business..."

Astoria took a deep breath and tucked a stray hair back into position.

"We have asked you here to form an alliance to investigate the attack and reorganize the other fourteen kingdoms."
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:46 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(He didn't say the thing about the dwarf out loud)

Athelstan blinked and glanced over his shoulder at Agrona. She looked as surprised as he felt.

An alliance hadn't been called for in decades. His own kingdom had hardly interacted with the others for even longer. To be called to action by another kingdom bordered on an insult to his land's history. "That's an ambitious proposition," he said carefully, turning back to Astoria. "And nearly impossible. Why should we help?" And why them, of all kingdoms? Drottheim certainly didn't have the largest army, though each of its warriors had the strength and valor of ten men.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

311 Reviews

Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:53 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

(Whoops. Guess I'm just a little tired XD)

"Because merely by asking you here, we have placed a lot of trust in you. And, of course, you would have had to place a fair bit in us," Astoria said. "It would have been easy enough to make a murder look like a carriage accident in the mountains. But you took the risk that there was to be foul play and came here. That says a lot."

Jarl looked between Astoria and the King. "If nothing else, we can always work together to maximize mining production."
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:56 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Spoiler! :
I meant to join this forever ago but I forgot about it, please forgive me

Going to be creating a new character for the first time in...a long while, let's just say. Should be interesting.

Character Sheet:
Name: Phyrra Remicent
Race: Wolf, though anyone outside of her kingdom, or really outside of the castle itself, will be under the impression that she's human
Looks: She's tall, with dark brown skin and even darker eyes. She's lean, athletic, and nearly always clad in furs of one kind or another. Most commonly, in formal settings, she will wear a cape made of the lightweight pelt of a rare beast, fastened at her shoulders with the claws of that same creature.
Weapon(s) of Choice: She is incredibly skilled with the bow, and typically uses a recurve made of the finest materials available in the mountains. A quiver of arrows is typically fastened at her side when she's traveling, but when she is meeting with someone of importance she will leave her weapons behind as appropriate. To threaten her, or to challenge her is to see yourself swiftly downed before you can so much as think to draw your weapon.
Kingdom: Kingdom 2
Position: Ambassador, and friend of the monarchs

Name: Darfin Erlden
Race: Elf
Looks: A gruff, muscular man who stands tall enough to tower above even those who consider themselves to be tall in their own right, with a thick black beard and hair cropped close to his head. He dresses in the uniform of a bodyguard of Kingdom 2 and trails the Ambassador unless instructed otherwise.
Weapon(s) of Choice: He will use most weapons with some amount of competency, though he favors the battle-ax.
Position: Bodyguard to the Ambassador

Name: Nix
Looks: A slight, short, and well-groomed kid who appears to be somewhere in their teens, though it's difficult to tell. Their hair looks like it was once cropped like Darfins, but has grown out into a mass of untamable ebony curls. They dress in plain clothes, reminiscent of those worn by bodyguards of Kingdom 2, without the embellishments or signs of rank.
Weapon(s) of Choice: They have a short sword and a dagger which they are trained with and are allowed to carry, but they've had basic training on several other forms of weaponry.
Position: Apprentice Bodyguard and Darfin's ward

Should I just insert them into the current proceedings, or should I wait? I feel as though it may be more realistic that negotiations like this wouldn't be mixed, so to speak, between different kingdoms. On the other hand, I'm not sure I really want to wait a whole lot, lest the plot take off without me. Plus, it'll be basically the same discussion over again, just different characters, which sounds less than thrilling to write, especially when these characters are new to me and I'm unused to writing them, meaning I'll have less of an idea on how to write them interestingly.
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

311 Reviews

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:01 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

TheMulticoloredCyr wrote:
Spoiler! :
I meant to join this forever ago but I forgot about it, please forgive me

Going to be creating a new character for the first time in...a long while, let's just say. Should be interesting.

Character Sheet:
Name: Phyrra Remicent
Race: Wolf, though anyone outside of her kingdom, or really outside of the castle itself, will be under the impression that she's human
Looks: She's tall, with dark brown skin and even darker eyes. She's lean, athletic, and nearly always clad in furs of one kind or another. Most commonly, in formal settings, she will wear a cape made of the lightweight pelt of a rare beast, fastened at her shoulders with the claws of that same creature.
Weapon(s) of Choice: She is incredibly skilled with the bow, and typically uses a recurve made of the finest materials available in the mountains. A quiver of arrows is typically fastened at her side when she's traveling, but when she is meeting with someone of importance she will leave her weapons behind as appropriate. To threaten her, or to challenge her is to see yourself swiftly downed before you can so much as think to draw your weapon.
Position: Ambassador, and friend of the monarchs

Name: Darfin Erlden
Looks: A gruff, muscular man who stands tall enough to tower above even those who consider themselves to be tall in their own right, with a thick black beard and hair cropped close to his head. He dresses in the uniform of a bodyguard of Kingdom 2 and trails the Ambassador unless instructed otherwise.
Weapon(s) of Choice: He will use most weapons with some amount of competency, though he favors the battle-ax.
Position: Bodyguard to the Ambassador

Name: Nix
Looks: A slight, short, and well-groomed kid who appears to be somewhere in their teens, though it's difficult to tell. Their hair looks like it was once cropped like Darfins, but has grown out into a mass of untamable ebony curls. They dress in plain clothes, reminiscent of those worn by bodyguards of Kingdom 2, without the embellishments or signs of rank.
Weapon(s) of Choice: They have a short sword and a dagger which they are trained with and are allowed to carry, but they've had basic training on several other forms of weaponry.
Position: Apprentice Bodyguard and Darfin's ward

Should I just insert them into the current proceedings, or should I wait? I feel as though it may be more realistic that negotiations like this wouldn't be mixed, so to speak, between different kingdoms. On the other hand, I'm not sure I really want to wait a whole lot, lest the plot take off without me. Plus, it'll be basically the same discussion over again, just different characters, which sounds less than thrilling to write, especially when these characters are new to me and I'm unused to writing them, meaning I'll have less of an idea on how to write them interestingly.

Spoiler! :
I'd be ok with them showing up if @RavenLord is!

112 Reviews

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:13 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(A hundred percent ok with it!)

Athelstan frowned and nodded. "You make an excellent point. You understand that I can't accept an alliance until I've conversed with my advisor, though." Agrona gave a grunt of agreement, coming to stand beside Athelstan again. "Agrona and I do not make light of such a request. I'm sure you know our kingdom has not been part of any sort of alliance for well over a century."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

311 Reviews

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:23 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Spoiler! :
Imma let Cyr go first.

95 Reviews

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:34 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Phyrra followed the servant who had volunteered as their guide upon their arrival. They had given a particular title, but Phyrra had been too distracted by the hurry she'd been put in to commit it to memory. Perhaps Darfin, or the young Nix, even, could remind her of it later.

They wound through the halls and soon came to an important looking set of doors, which they were soon invited through.

Phyrra held up a hand before the doors were opened, "One moment, please," she said to the servant, then turned her attention to Darfin. "You will remain here," she ordered. It would send the wrong message to enter negotiations like these with a bodyguard, and most especially with a bodyguard as intimidating as Darfin.

The guard gave a deep nod and stepped to the side of the doorway, his trainee moving in perfect step with him. Elves. If Phyrra hadn't been otherwise assured, she'd assume they were all somehow mentally linked.

She gave a nod to the servant and the door was opened.

"My sincerest apologies," she said with a bow as soon as she had been acknowledged, "My arrival was greatly delayed by circumstances out of my control. I do hope I haven't wasted too much time with my absence."

he/they

311 Reviews

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:39 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Spoiler! :
So, uh... should we do this in like a turn-style way? Raven, me, Cyr or something?

Astoria shook her head. "Not at all. You've come quite a long way," the Queen said. "Will you sit?"

112 Reviews

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:42 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Probably we should just go with whoever makes sense to go next)

Athelstan and Agrona both turned.

"Who is this?" Athelstan asked, eyeing the woman in front of him warily. Agrona's hand inched toward one of the morningstars strapped to her belt as her brother rested a hand on the hilt of his dagger.

she/her

95 Reviews

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:53 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Phyrra clasped her hands respectfully in front of her and dipped her head, "I am Phyrra Remicent, an ambassador sent from the mountains to negotiate an agreement of allyship with this kingdom." As she spoke, she glided across the floor to take the Queen's offer.

he/they

112 Reviews

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:59 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Athelstan watched her stiffly. He and Agrona had not been offered seats, he noticed. "There are many mountains in this land," he noted. "To which range do you refer?" Out of the corner of his eye he saw Agrona lower her hand. He did the same, though his gaze was still wacthful.

she/her

95 Reviews

Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:05 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"Far North," she said, "My kingdom is entirely within the mountain ranges."

None of the strangers here had given her any reason to think them trustworthy, she noted, though it was possible they were just cautious. Overly so. And rude.

he/they

311 Reviews

Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:37 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

"You are all here for the same purpose nonetheless," Astoria said firmly. "Together, our three nations have the strength and power to learn who perpetrated the attack. We have the power to bring peace to Threya once more."

95 Reviews

Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:18 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Phyrra nodded her agreement.

She wasn't so sure about the certainty with which the queen made her claims. Phyrra knew little about the kingdom these strangers - who had not bothered with the courtesy of introducing themselves, even after demanding an introduction from Phyrra - and she has not been sent to negotiate with them. She had permission to use her intuition, of course, should she decide to take advantage of their presence. It was clear that the queen thought them strong enough to work out an alliance with.

She would see.

he/they

Sometimes I'm terrified of my heart; of its constant hunger for whatever it is it wants. The way it stops and starts.
— Poe