z

Young Writers Society

The 16 Kingdoms

311 Reviews

Reviews: 311
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:36 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

"Winthrop? Jarl? Leave us," Astoria said quietly.

Disgruntled, the Dwarf rose, pushed in his chair, and started for the door. The White Wolf, meanwhile, looked into Astoria's eyes before reluctantly following the Dwarf.

After they had left through one of the side doors, Astoria looked at the Ambassador and the King.

"Algernon is gone. There are few we can trust. Already, we have placed trust in one another, and we have not paid for it."
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:52 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Yet," Agrona muttered.

"I should hope there will be a guarantee of my kingdom's security if you wish to have us in your alliance," Athelstan said coldly. "That comes before anything else."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

311 Reviews

Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:26 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

"Of course," Astoria answered firmly. "I give you my word, and that is not something I give lightly."
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:47 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"And you?" Athelstan looked to the Ambassador. "If you are to join the alliance, will you offer the same oath?" He did not trust anyone in this room (with the exception of Agrona), nor did he feel likely to trust any of them. A promise was as close as they would get to trust, for now.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:54 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"In return for the same courtesy, yes," Phyrra said, "Though I'm afraid I know little of your kingdom."

It was a fairly risky move, to admit to ignorance, but it was even riskier to proceed dishonestly. Peace proceedings were always about fine lines. Walk the razor's edge, or bleed.
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:58 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I intend to keep it that way," Athelstan said grimly. "As I said, my sister and I must confer before offering an answer, but we will take both your assurances into account."

she/her

311 Reviews

Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:01 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

"And you?" Astoria asked. "Will you make the same pledge?"

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:05 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Athelstan had turned to leave, but he paused as Astoria spoke. He and Agrona shared a look, and he sighed.

"I said I will always put my kingdom first," he said slowly. "Our history does not hold alliances in a favorable light. If we do join you, we will be loyal until you become a danger to the kingdom. That is all I can offer in the way of an oath."

she/her

112 Reviews

Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:23 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(oi oi)

she/her

311 Reviews

Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:31 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Astoria mentally sighed. That was... not comforting. Not at all.

"I would like an answer by sunset in five days."

112 Reviews

Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:33 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Athelstan dipped his head. "You will have it. Now, I think some rest would do us all well." He turned toward the door again, pulling it open as soon as he reached it and stalking out. Agrona followed, casting another wary look at the others in the room.

she/her

95 Reviews

Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:52 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Phyrra rose, intentionally missing the wry look that was cast her way. It was important to avoid allowing reasons for people to believe there should be conflict, just as it was important to avoid conflict itself.

She turned her attention to the queen. "My bodyguard and I will need lodging," she said. It was proper manners to provide a room to an invited guest. Where Phyrra not invited, she wouldn't dare request such a thing so boldly.

he/they

311 Reviews

Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:55 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

"Our stewards will provide you with appropriate lodging," Astoria answered firmly. A if she'd forget not to have rooms prepared.

95 Reviews

Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:04 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"Thank you for your hospitality," Phyrra said, "I have plenty to consider."

Really, the negotiations hadn't truly begun. With the representatives from that other kingdom present, she didn't know that the planned negotiations would be at all possible. It was terribly difficult not to feel the waves of paranoia they emitted. The air was practically thick with it whenever they were in the room.

Phyrra gave a respectful bow and turned to leave the room.

With a flick of her wrist, her bodyguard and his young apprentice fell in line behind her, and she requested one of the stewards take her to her rooms.

he/they

311 Reviews

Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:12 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Astoria stood and exited through the same side door her friends had left through. There was a winding hall of stone that led to the nearby guardroom, where she knew they'd be waiting. But she'd simply pass them by and go to rest in her room, alone and undisturbed.

As a writer, I'm more interested in what people tell themselves happened rather than what actually happened.
— Kazuo Ishiguro