z

Young Writers Society

Cold Oak

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:39 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Bobby didn't like the conflict hanging in the air. It sat wrong in his gut, triggered his instinct to run. to get out of there as fast as he could before things could get bad.

He inched back.
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:45 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Kazimir noticed Bobby pulling away in the corner of his eye. He took a deep breath and things clicked all of a sudden.

"Oh! So you're like us," he concluded. "Sorry about that. I just wanted to make sure you weren't a ghost or something."
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:40 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
@Gravitem, do you want to go before I go again? :)
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:22 pm
View Likes
mythh says...

Spoiler! :
No, it's okay Mage, you can go.
The name's Myth.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:30 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
Okay! I'll try posting here tonight or tomorrow. :)
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:24 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Jo gave Kazimir an offended look - almost like she couldn't believe that he had thought she was ever a ghost - but thankfully didn't start a fight. Lorcan wasn't as wary of conflict as Bobby was, but he wanted to avoid it if he could.

They walked towards the church.

The demon didn't return. Neither of the ghosts, did either. Lorcan was grateful for the break, but he couldn't tell what the cause of it was. Had the holy water and salt done their jobs?

Or was there something else at play?

Jo kicked down the door to the church and stepped inside. Giving a little stretch, she plopped down in one of the creaking church pews. She seemed so comfortable with the situation - and the age of the church - that she didn't have any problems with kicking her feet up onto the very back of the benches in front of her.
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:07 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Bobby timidly shuffled after the group into the church. He didn't like this. He didn't trust this. He didn't trust Jo.

The whole church was too big, too exposed, but somehow cramped and claustrophobic at the same time. Bobby couldn't breathe. His chest tightened as the walls, so far away, closed in around him.

He lowered himself onto one of the benches, or tried to. Somehow, he ended up on the floor. The space around him felt so full, but it was only the air that could be closing around him as it refused to be pulled into his lungs.

He brought his knees to his chest and leaned against the side of the pews. The wood was solid. There. Present.

He tried to breathe.

he/they

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:18 pm
View Likes
mythh says...

Chloe felt the need to be comforting and put her hand on Bobby's back and patted him.

"Are you alright? I think that's a stupid question, I'm sorry. This must all be a lot to process. I'm here if you ever need to talk, okay?"

She gave him a sweet smile and left. She then headed over to Jack and gently tapped his head. "Knock, knock!"

"Nobody's at home," replied Jack.

Chloe giggled and tapped harder.

"OW" Jack yelled.

"There's someone there after all. NOW, STOP BEING A BABY," she said putting quite a lot of emphasis on 'baby', "and get on your feet!" She continued with a lot of intended exclamation - the kind Jack certainly wasn't prepared for.

Jack put his hands in his pockets and walked off towards the salt-faced Jo.
The name's Myth.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:09 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Kazimir watched as poor Bobby practically fell between the pews and started looking all kinds of worried. Chloe went over for a minute before leaving the kid alone and returning to her friend Jack, tapping him upside the head. He wasn't sure that was what Jack needed at the moment.

Really, what they needed was to go home. Which, actually, gave him a thought.

He drifted in Bobby's direction - mostly because he didn't trust Jo still, and he wanted to keep Bobby and the teens safe - and looked over at Jo.

"Hey, so, you wouldn't happen to know where the fuck we are, would you? Like, what town is this? What fuckin' city? State?"

95 Reviews

Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:15 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Bobby flinched as something touched him - someone. He vaguely processed that it was a person there, speaking, but the words swam sluggishly through the air, jumbling all together before they could reach Bobby's ears. He tried to focus on the person, the tone of their voice - which did make it through - but then they were gone, and there was only the cold, solid wood of the pew to ground him.

He drew in a shaky breath.

Let it out.

In...

Out....

In....

Out...

His heartbeat slowed. Reality came into focus.

Slowly, trembling, he dragged himself to his feet and looked around. There were too many people. Too many strangers. None of them looked safe.

Kazimir was talking to Jo. Bobby thought he could trust Kazimir, at least a little. He drifted that way, moving just close enough to hear what was being said. He didn't want to be too close. Not when his legs were still so unsteady beneath him.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:17 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Lorcan - not quite sure where to go - awkwardly lingered beside Bobby. He wasn't sure anyone had even noticed he was there to begin with. He didn't like drawing attention to himself, and he wasn't really sure how to address the form-changing incident from the bakery. Bobby had been terrified of him then; he wasn't sure he could ever make up for that.

...Not that he had wanted to scare Bobby. He hadn't wanted to scare anyone there. But what was done was done, and he didn't how to make Bobby feel safe around him again.

He awkwardly cleared his throat.

"Hi," he quietly said from behind Bobby.

xXx

A few feet away, meanwhile, Jo was giving Kazimir a look that was a mix between exasperation and surprise.

"I already told you," Jo said. "I'm not from here. I just found myself here a few minutes before I ran into you."

She glanced around the church, her gaze momentarily going towards the door.

"...It does have a midwestern feel to it," she finally relented. She wasn't entirely sure. It wasn't her main focus, anyways. She was still trying to figure out why she was even here in the first place. The terrified kid who everyone kept checking out was also a concern. But it looked like the guy who looked like a vampire - and probably was a vampire - had the kid covered, so Jo would use this opportunity to find out more information.

She got to her feet and look up into Kazimir's eyes.

"So," she said, "who exactly is everyone here? You're the only one who was nice enough to give a name."
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:27 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Kazimir kept note of how close Lorcan was to Bobby. If Lorcan went batty again, Kazimir was not going to be happy. He was pretty sure Bobby needed some space. It would be different if they were all family friends, but they weren't. Everyone was walking on a fine line.

But for the meantime, Kazimir kept his eyes on Jo, whom he also didn't trust.

He shifted his weight to one hip and looked her in the eyes, disappointed that she didn't have any answers. Kazimir could've guessed they were in the mid-west. That didn't help him.

Then again, she had said she was plopped here like the rest of them. Hm. He'd forgotten that, for a moment.

"We've got batboy Lorcan," he said grinning, pointing a thumb backwards. "And the tween team Chloe and Jack. Kid on the floor is Bobby."

He inched a little closer to Jo with unbroken eye contact.

"So how do you know about demons, Jo?"

95 Reviews

Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:00 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"Hi," came a quiet voice from behind him, and Bobby nearly lept from his skin.

He shuffled away, spinning wildly to face Lorcan. They made eye contact, and Bobby dropped his gaze to the ground in embarrassment.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:50 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Lorcan stared down at the ground in embarrassment, too.

"I'm sorry for scaring you in the bakery," he apologized, "and I'm sorry for scaring you a second ago. I...I keep forgetting how quietly I can walk sometimes. And I know that I come across as intimidating no matter if I look like a human or a bat."

xXx

The vampire theory was definitely looking more likely after overhearing what Lorcan said - and Kazimir calling him batboy. Jo didn't bother to look over at him. He didn't seem like he would be a problem, and Jo didn't really have anything against vampires in general.

Jo gave Kazimir a smile. It was a smile that hinted at some inside joke that only Jo probably knew.

"Well," she started, resting her hip up against the pew right beside her as she kept looking into his eyes, "I'm a hunter. Hunting demons is what I do."

She paused for a moment.

"Not always," she corrected. "Just...some of the time. Demons aren't the only things that go bump in the night, after all."
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:47 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Kazimir kept staring into Jo's eyes because she didn't break eye contact either, and he thought it was funny. Like a game.

He snickered at her last comment, withholding the joke he wanted to make because there were children present.

"Oh yeah? What else do you hunt? Enlighten me."

Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.
— Albus Dumbledore