Young Writers Society

Cold Oak

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:02 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Lorcan wasn't the type to laugh when he was stressed, but he was very stressed and the joke was just funny enough to normally get a smile. Now, with how worried it was, it came out as a little, very short-lived laugh. It could have probably be confused for a squeak or a quick breath being let out.

Trying to get some semblance of control over this situation, Lorcan flapped his wings and flew up to the counter. He could feel the dust underneath his feet as he looked at the other people in the room - the counter was disgusting. But at least he could breath again; he could take comfort in that, at least.

"I'm sorry for startling you," he apologized, ducking his head down and staring at the floor. "...I usually give more warning, but I couldn't fight the instinct when I was getting suffocated."
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:16 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Bobby stared at the bat - at Lorcan - with wide eyes.

This wasn't right. It was so completely and utterly wrong that it refused to fully register in his mind. There was some trick, some hallucination. Maybe he was unconscious on a street corner somewhere, bound to be woken up any minute.

He backed up a few steps, away from Lorcan, and bumped into something solid. Looking up, he saw the 'something' was Kazimir. On instinct, he froze, just for a second, before shuffling away.
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:41 pm
View Likes
mythh says...

Meanwhile, Jack was still in a state where he could easily be mistaken for Lorcan's human form.
The name's Myth.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:33 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Kazimir sighed, looking back at Jack, who was white as a sheet, and then back at batboy and poor Bobby. The kid had bumped into him.

He was pretty sure wherever the heck they were, it wasn't real life. It was some wacko alternate universe stuff, or something weird like that. He wasn't going to think too hard about it.

"Look, we all do crazy things when we're getting choked out, man," he said with a shrug. "None of us know how to turn into a bat, so you know, we spit and sputter and kick instead. It's whatever. Anyways," he looked down at Bobby, and over at Jack. Everyone was a terrified hot mess. "The salt worked again, so we've still got a weapon if a ghost shows up again. I didn't use a butt-ton so we're good. Let's keep sticking together though, 'cause this whole town seems crawling with those spirits and I don't want someone getting an unwanted neck hug with no salt."

He paused, shifting the bag of salt so he was holding it in only one arm. He wanted a hand free.

"Can you like, change back?" he asked Lorcan. "Like, I don't have a problem with you being a bat and all, but I think it'll, you know, help if you go back. You can do more as a human." And Bobby and Jack wouldn't be so full of terror.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:05 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Even without Kazimir saying it, Lorcan got the subtext.

"...I can," he hesitantly said. He shifted uncomfortably, moving his weight from one foot to the other. His wings were nervously twitching right now; it was a habit that thankfully hadn't carried over to his other form. "I need magic. There was just enough earlier to change forms when I was desperate, but I'm not sure there's enough for me to tap into to change again-"

He suddenly felt a burst of magic.

It wasn't too close by, but it was so strong that Lorcan felt like he was being bombarded by it. He doubted anyone else could feel it. He had only started feeling it after he made his contract.

But, at the moment, Lorcan would just be focused on changing his form back. Not wanting to miss using the magic while it was still available, he took a deep breath and let the change wash over him.

One transformation later, and Lorcan was sitting on the counter in his other form - salt still stuck to his hair.

"I just felt a strong burst of magic," he said. "I'm not sure where. But if ghosts have anything to do with magic..."

He trailed off.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:03 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"Well shit, if there's more ghosts around here let's get out of here. We got what we came here for," Kazimir said, turning to leave the little room. "Come on," he said, leading the way.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:26 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Bobby didn't like this. He didn't like this at all. But all he could do right now was stay with the person with the tools to get rid of the ghosts.

So Bobby hurried after Kazimir without a word.
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:43 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Lorcan followed the two of them.

He was still trying to get the salt out of his hair, but he was starting to accept that it wouldn't be coming out any time soon. What he needed was a bath or a shower - his hair was too long and the salt was too stubborn.

By the time that they left the building, he had turned his attention to Bobby instead. He felt horrible for making him so frightened earlier. He hadn't even be able to give him any kind of warning, and he knew that Bobby was easily frightened.

He should have said something.

Even though he didn't know what-

He bumped into someone.

...But he hadn't been walking directly behind anyone.

He looked up.

There was a man in front of him that he didn't recognize. He wasn't a ghost, but something about him felt wrong. His eyes seemed to almost be glowing, and his body felt far warmer than it should have. And his clothes didn't look right, either; they were a strange mix of jeans, a tunic, and a coat that looked like it was several centuries old.

And the man looked hungry.

Lorcan took several steps back.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:07 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Once they were outside Kazimir stopped and glanced back to make sure everyone was following behind. He froze when he saw another person in the room, standing right in front of Lorcan with glowing eyes.

Glowing eyes were never a good sign in a town full of ghosts.

"Hey!" Kazimir barked. "Who the hell are you? And don't you even think of taking a step closer to the bat-kid, or any kid for that matter."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:17 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

If the man heard Kazimir, he pretended like he hadn't. He took another step towards Lorcan. The hungry look was still present in his eyes. Lorcan didn't know what he was going to do to him, but he didn't really want to find out. He tried summoning a sword of darkness. It didn't work. He tried changing his form, too, hoping that the man would lose interest as soon as he realized he was trying to get near/eat(?) a bat.

Then the man gave a startled hiss and recoiled.

Lorcan blinked. He had to be imagining that sound, right? Because why would the man suddenly make that noise?

The man gave another hissing noise, and what almost sounded like a pained whine. He took a step away from Lorcan, but the noise continued - much to Lorcan's confusion.

But now that the man was out of the way, he finally saw what was causing the pain. There was a jet of water being directed at the man's back. And while the water wasn't anything special, the man was acting like it was.

"Bad demon," a woman suddenly said.

Lorcan glanced in the direction the water was coming from.

Across the street, there was a woman holding what had to be some kind of water gun - he hadn't ever used one himself, but Charlotte had explained it before. The woman looked both out-of-place and perfectly in place.

She had her light brown hair thrown back in a messy ponytail, and had a pair of glasses on - their glass thick and shape square. Her outfit was a combination of a flannel shirt, jeans and a pair of combat boots. A wooden cross hung around her neck, and her ears were pierced with tiny silver studs.

The man - who was apparently a demon - fled away from the woman and her water gun.

"Hey," the woman said, giving them a grin that bordered on a smirk. "The name's Jo. And if you want to avoid nasty guys like him, you should probably come with me to the church down the street."
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:28 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Kazimir was both relieved and a little annoyed that someone had come to scare off the glowing-eyed man-demon or whatever he was. He watched as the demon scattered off like a hissing cat and looked over at the girl with the water gun. She looked kind of like a typical ghost-buster type person. The kind of person in towns like these in movies, except this was real life. (Or at least, it better be, or he was going to get really angry really fast).

"I'm Kazimir," he called back. "You're not the person who doused salt on me, are you?"

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:48 am
View Likes
mythh says...

Jack was beginning to calm down. Chloe held his hand and pulled him, trying to get him to follow along.

"That's alright, but what was up with him? He looked like he was in pain." Chloe said to the woman who claimed to be a certain "Jo".
The name's Myth.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:23 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Even before Jo gave her answer to Kazimir, Lorcan could guess what it was. She looked both confused and amused by his suggestion that she had poured the salt, her mouth flickering between a smile and a thin line.

"I'm not," Jo replied. The troubled look disappeared; it was replaced by the smirk from earlier. She gestured in the direction the man had gone running off in. "And that was a demon. Far from the best specimen of one, of course, but that's what happens when a demon soul doesn't get a chance to fully form in Hell. They want complete souls, so they tend to prey on those that have them - not that they have any way to easily get them out from their victims."

Jo clapped her hands together.

"Anyways!" she said. "We really should be heading towards the church. Those kinds of demons can't enter them. I don't know why, but that's just how things are. It's also why I was able to scare him away earlier. This gun's filled with holy water; it's like pouring bleach into an open cut for them."

Lorcan glanced at the others. Something about this situation felt off, but he couldn't put his finger on what it was. If the church really could protect them from people like the demon, he knew they needed to head towards it.

But he would still be cautious.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:59 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Kazimir wandered a little closer to Jo, narrowing his eyes at her suspiciously. She seemed awful eager for them to get to the "church" that apparently "kept demons out."

"Okay," he said. "We'll come with you. But if I so much as see any sort of funny business, or if it looks like for a moment any of the kids will get hurt, you'll wish real fast that you never invited us into your church."

With that, grabbed a handful of salt and chucked it at her face. Just to be sure.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:30 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Jo blinked.

"Did you just throw salt at me?" she asked in disbelief. She wiped it off her face, but couldn't get it all off. And a little had gotten into her mouth, too. This was not how she had wanted her day to go.

She spat the salt out - and made sure that the spit landed oh-so-perfectly on the man's shoe. "And it's not my church. It's just a conveniently placed church. I'm not even from here. I just found myself here a few minutes ago."
mage

queer and here.

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.
— Captain Jack Sparrow