Young Writers Society

The Land During Leather Pants

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:21 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

The Time of the Jurassic Is Alive in Portland

In a specific timeline on the Planet Earth, the events of the story Jurassic Park are in fact real. Just as it happened in Crichton's creation, dinosaurs have started to run rabid across the island where they were supposed to be contained. And now that the year is some ambiguous time in the 1990s, it's time for your characters to arrive and find some dinosaurs.

Through the course of the plot, be warned that you will encounter dinosaurs, prehistoric mammals, pirates, industry spies, and many more dangerous folks along the way. Make sure to bring necessary supplies with you before jumping through the portal. If you do forget anything, there will be a few limited opportunities along the way to hunt down more supplies.

So who's ready to jump back and forward in time to the new time of the dinosaurs?

For plotting, join my discord server: https://discord.gg/mzN7Bmd

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:27 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
This character is very new, so I apologize in advance if anything I say now contradicts anything I say later about him. I'm still working on him and his world. :)

Noah: Maybe it's his personality or maybe it's his baby face, but everyone always thinks that Noah is younger than he actually is. He's actually probably sixteen or seventeen years old, but he comes across as childish.

He looks like the picture down below, courtesy of this Picrew:

His track-style jacket is definitely on the older side; it's easy to see from the numerous places it's been sewed back together, as well as the ominous stains near the cuffs. His dark pants have a strange glint to them, almost as if they're made out of plastic.

They are.

And, if it's not obvious from the picture, he has freckles all across his face.

The back room was empty today.

Lachlan had ventured into the heart of town for his wares. On a normal day, Noah might have felt like tagging along. He loved standing on the edge of the ocean, but there was something special about being so far away from it that he could no longer hear the water crashing up against the floats.

But the dreams had been getting stronger later. It was harder to ignore them. Lachlan had been understanding - he always was - but it didn't make the memories hurt any less. He took a sip of his tea, awkwardly perched on the chair with his legs pulled close to his chest.

He saw movement out of the corner of his eyes.

"...Lachlan?" he hesitantly asked. "Dom-"

He turned.

There wasn't a person there.

There was a portal.

At least, that was what Noah thought it looked like. He wasn't really sure what a portal was supposed to look like. His dreams had never had one of those before.

He took one last sip of his tea and placed the cup on its little plate.

Then he got to his feet, grabbed the dull green kelp bag from beside him, and took a cursory step towards the strange portal. He was almost through it when he realized that he probably should leave a note. Lachlan deserved an explanation, and Dominick would be concerned if he or the others couldn't find him.

He left two notes - one in a place that only Lachlan would find in the back room, and one in a place that anyone could find in the main room - and took a confident step through the portal. His rain boots made a confident squelch as he set his foot down on the other side.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:07 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Spoiler! :

Scene Note *** I'm under the impression that this island is already occupied by lots of dinosaurs from years of experiments, but now a whole bunch more just got released including Sycorax. And the "pale-limbs" are just what Sycorax calls humans in case that was confusing! ***

Character: Sycorax, named after a character in Shakespeare's "The Tempest" by Dr. Miranda a lab-tech who cared for this prehistoric crocodile when she first hatched.

Description: Sycorax is a Sarcosuchus, which is a prehistoric type of GIANT crocodile, big scaley, lots of teeth, dark green - In real life they mostly hang out in aquatic / land areas, in this instance we'll say she can hang out comfortably in land or sea, and is perfectly suited for island life.

Sycorax is confused about who she is because she was raised in the lab by humans. She has a strong sense that something is not right, because the setting that she is in goes against her instincts. Sycorax is a predator, but has developed affection towards humans and is somewhat uncomfortable attacking them. She is highly analytical, and intelligent, perhaps due to the lab environment she was raised in, but is also very suspicious. She can understand what humans say to each other, and has a good sense of their emotional-state because of a good sense of smell / posture, though she has a difficult time communicating back to them.

Motivation: Right now Sycorax has very mixed emotions towards humans and some animosity towards the other humans who raised her, but probably won't attack them because that feels uncomfy to her.

Dino Facts: Read more about me here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcosuchus

More description: I will think of more things later??

My first memory is the closeness of the world. Everything was contained; dark, full, safe, then the breaking through of blinding light, and all the closeness gone. And I knew this was not where I belonged.

I was born, or hatched, in a lab chamber. My first interactions were with The Being that I thought was my mother, clothed in white-wings, clear head scales, and pale limbs. She was one of many of pale-limbed creatures that I soon learned were different than me altogether. When I was a hatchling I trusted the white-wings-pale-limbs, I found I could understand their speech and growls, but they rarely understood my own speech in response. As I grew, I became aware that the pale-limbs were not my family or herd at all, and more creatures were hatched and placed in new cages, always separated, often confused, sometimes removed to somewhere I did not know. The sense that I did not belong in the lab would not go away. My home-cage started feeling like an egg, but too close, too dark, not enough water, not quite safe. It was time to hatch again.

In the dark of evening when the pale-limbs slept, I tested the bars of my cage with a chomp. The metal made a brief grating cracking sound, but soon the space was large enough for me to squeeze out. A few other dino-creatures woke, I paid them no-mind as I didn't have a sense which were friend or foe, only knew I needed to get out. It seemed my cage-egg was part of an even larger egg that I knew I needed to escape, but I could not find the way out. Panic. The closeness of the world started feeling like it was pressing in. Escape. Escape. Escape. Must get out before pale-limbs wake. Where is the light?

I rounded the corner and the Mother-Being was there. I stopped in my tracks. I could tell from her posture she was scared, then suddenly angry. For a split-second I had a sense of anger back, who was this prey-piece to stop me, or trap me? She spoke my name "Sycorax? What happened?" And mother-or-not I felt some allegiance to this pale-limb, I could not kill them. I waved my snout towards her, knocking the Being to the ground. And walked swiftly past her, she would not stop me.

Suddenly lights started flashing, and loud screeches above. Dr. Miranda, intending to hit the quarantine alarm, had hit the "all release" button. She screamed for help, and other pale-limbs awoke to investigate the lab. The metal of each cage rattled, as doors mechanically unlocked, and the more courageous dinosaurs moved into the open. Light streamed into the darkened lab as the entrance door slowly rose. The world was uncontained, full of other life, wild, and light. I was free, but needed to run.

And that's when I saw the opening of what looked like a portal.
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

If you have a dream, you have a duty to make it come true.
— Marco Pierre White