A Lost Tomb

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:46 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

The Plot

A long time ago, there was an infamous Dwarven King who sought too much power and dug too deep into his mountain home, and he was punished for it. Rumour has it that the king and all his followers were cursed for their greed and trapped within the mines they loved. Something dark from the depths of their mines refused to let them go--or so the legend goes.

Recently, a map has been uncovered and a contract has been circulated. All it says is this;

Nobleman seeks adventurers for help to find a lost tomb.

Gold reward; glory a bonus.

You have seen this contract and have gone to the location specified as the meeting place, and you are not alone. Six others are lingering about a tavern table, speaking to the first dwarf you have seen in a long, long time.

The adventure begins....

Information & Maps

Map Of The Realm
Spoiler! :
Ibessa is a somewhat cold kingdom, at least to the north. The further south you go, the warmer it gets. To the north, beyond the kingdom's borders, are a series of glaciers and rocky landscapes. Inside the kingdom, it's a pleasant mix of mountains, forests, lakes & rivers, grasslands and costal dunes.

Races
Spoiler! :
Humans
Humans can be found throughout the Realm and usually have little to no magic. Any magic they do have is limited and uncontrolled. Humans make wonderful soldiers, though, because they reproduce so fast. They are a varied and resilient people who often don't know when to give up or stay down.

Elves
Elves are creatures of nature and can live for hundreds, even thousands, of years. Their powers relate to nature and the elements They highly dislike anything too advanced and tend to avoid cities, except for the few who live in small communties that incorporate nature into their construction. Elves are rarely seen away from the forests.

Tieflings, Fey'ri & Others Of A Fiendish Nature
These races have demonic bloodlines which may be reflected in their appearance and abilties, if they have any. Tieflings and Fiends are the most like their demons while the Fey'ri more often than not resemble the Elven side of their parentage. They are often a violent, impulsive people, but can be reasoned with. If you're lucky.

Half-Elves & Other Half-breeds
Half-Elves are exactly what you'd imagine--half-elves. Others may be half-Dwarf or even half-elf and half-fiend--like the Fey'ri. They may live for a long time, or not very long at all. It's always a risk with half-breeds, but most resemble one sids or the other, such as half-elves, who live a lifespan somewhere between their human and elvish halves; almost as long as their Elvish brethen, but never the thousands of years some of the Elves reach.

Dwarves
Dwarves are a short, sturdy race of humanoid people who prefer to live in mountainous areas and in the mines they love so dearly, deep below the surface where they're so rarely seen. They live almost as long as their Elvish cousins, but nowhere near as long as those with fiendish blood, and often outlive their human friends. Not many have been seen latly, if at all. Of course, that's if they ever feel like stepping foot outside of their mountains and mines.

Magic & Monsters
Spoiler! :
Both exist in this realm, but they are rarely seen or heard about. Magic users -- or mages, as they prefer-- are more common than monsters, but you don't hear them bragging about their magic often, if at all. As for monsters, well. If you hear about a monster, it's a pretty big deal and quite a few hunters/rangers will appear to hunt it down. For a price, of course.

Gypsies, Mages & Magic
Gypsies and Mages are two sides of the same coin. Gypsies are mages who wander, unlike Mages who settled down in one place. There are Light and Dark mages, along with every shade between these extremes. Both have magic in their veins, quite literally. They are similar to Sorcerers in many respects, but unlike Sorcerers, the magic often represents as psychical abnormalities such as unusual eye or hair colour, and sometimes even runes that appear naturally on the skin.

Some notable traveling clans are; Toril, Haverj, Almeric, Asyra, Shanni, Vanna and Belusa.

Monsters, Demons & Other Creatures
Monsters are beings, usually inherently magical in nature, with a nasty reputation for death and destruction. It is one of the main jobs of the Council to seek out these monsters and deal with them, either with violence or diplomacy--depending on the creature. They can be a purely natural creature--a giant wolf or giant spiders--to more fiendish or magically-inclined creatures, such as Leshi and other nature spirits/beings to Sphinxs and Gryphons, and even the odd fiendish hound or other such monsters.

Character Sheet:

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b]

[b]Role:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b]
[b][i] - Strengths:[/i][/b]
[b][i] - Weaknesses:[/i][/b]

[b]Magic:[/b] If applicable

[b]History:[/b]

[b]Up For Love:[/b]

[b]Other:[/b]

Characters Slots:

- The Fighter - Fey'ri - @ScarlettFire
- The Ranger - Human - @ShadowVyper
- The Performer - Human/Dwarf - @SirenCymbaline
- The Mage - Elf/Dragon @Oxara
- The Healer - Elf - @soundofmind
- The Thief - Half-elf - @EditorAndPerks
- The Royal - Available!
- The Traitor - Aarakrocra - @Europa
- The Charlatan - Half-Elf - @AlmondEyes

Extra Potential Character Slots:

Spoiler! :
- The Necromancer -

NPCs/Retired Characters:

The Commissioner - Dwarf - Rurik Von Torunn (NPC)
The Royal - Ciara Shevon - Elf - @Amnesia (Retired)

The Lost Tomb is a part of The Universe, alternatively known as YWU, a collaborative writing universe
Last edited by ScarlettFire on Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:54 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Arannis Starflower

70 Days B.N.D

Arannis leaned back in his seat in the shadowy corner of the tavern with a mug of ale in his hands and sighed. He stared down into the ale morosely and reached up with one hand to adjust the hood pulled up over his head, the fur and thick wool catching on his horns and making him wince. The tavern was loud, and the cacophony of all the different voices, accents and languages was starting to give him a headache. He wasn't going to complain, though, because this was where the contract had said to meet Rurik, and he'd abide by what the stranger had requested. Arannis just hadn't expected so many people. Or for all their chatter to cover the sound of rain and wind outside so thoroughly.

He glanced up and cast a quick look over the nearly-full tavern. A group of dark-skinned elves were crowded around one table over near the bar. They kept glancing his way and Arranis couldn't help but notice that they were all women. He'd not be welcome there, and they both knew it. The red hair and the tiny horns were a dead give-away that he wasn't, exactly, a full-blooded elf. And it wasn't like he was trying to hide them, what with his hood being up. He just didn't like to advertise that particular little quirk of biology to anyone. Especially not upon a first meeting. That was something he'd prefer to share after getting to know the people he'd be hanging out with a little first. Last time he'd been forthright with his heritage, he'd been stabbed in the back. Quite literally. He swore to never make that mistake again and so far, he hadn't.

He shifted his attention away from the group of female elves and spotted a dwarf with reddish hair pulled back from his face and a neatly trimmed beard speaking to another dwarf with dark, curly hair drawn up in braided pigtails. She was wearing a short red dress and carried a small bag on one hip. Beside the first dwarf, sat a mace. It was causually leant up against the table, along with what appeared to be a cittren. Arannis had to blink, though, when he saw that the she-dwarf also spouted a mustache. He hadn't known that dwarves all had facial hair. Granted, they were the first dwarves he'd ever seen. And probably the only ones he'd ever see, too. A pity, too.

At the bar, a tall human sat. They also had their hood up and Arannis was having trouble determining their gender, but he could just see short black hair peeking out from beneath the hood. Beside them sat a young half-elf with dark brown hair. At her feet, there was a bag that looked suspiciously full, but the bright colours painted across it made him think she had a lot of paint and brushes in there. Further done the bar and leaning against it, a striking elf with black hair done tightly up in a bun was arguing with the poor barkeep. Arannis couldn't help watching her as she slammed something down on the bar and made the half-orc cringe back. She seemed upset about something, but Arannis didn't feel like...well...prying right now. Could you blame him? She seemed really intimidating!

Opposite her, in the darkest corner near the fire, sat another figure obscured by shadow. Arannis couldn't see much more than the occasional glint of firelight off metal or eyeshine, and he wasn't sure he wanted to. They seemed a little...foreboding and not in the good way. In the very bad way. Right as their shadowy, light-reflecting gaze seemed to meet his, the door swung open and in swept a soaked, hooded figure carrying a very large sword. They were followed quickly by a slightly taller, equally soaked elf with nearly white, blonde hair. Rain and wind roared into the tavern during the sudden silence their entrance has caused, and then the door was slammed shut by the sword-carrying figure.

Every single soul in the place stared at them, Arannis included, until they approached the bar. Once they settled in at the bar, everyone turned their attention away and conversation slowly picked back up. The atmosphere of the place was almost back to normal.

Almost.

Because the dwarf-lady hopped up onto the table and strummed her instrument. She paused to grin at everyone and then did a little spin-and-pose. "Alright, listen up, ladies and gents!" she sing-songed loudly, and gestured to the dwarf behind her. "My friend here has an announcement to make!"
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:54 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Broma Bella

70 Days B.N.D

"-And he takes the bowstring from the bow, right, the cursed bow, and he strings his harp with it.” Broma recounted incredulously. When her accompanying theatrical gestures were concluded, she took a swig of beer.

Rurik, her good friend as of ten minutes ago, laughed and shook his head, his immaculately braided beard swishing luxuriantly from side to side. “Did it sound aright?”

Broma slapped her pint on the table. “It did not!” she exclaimed.

Retroactively aware of the liberal bouncing of her bountiful chest, Broma stilled herself. She wiped a drip from her mouth. She continued, just a little more measuredly.

“Heck man, it sounded like the devil pickin’ his teeth, but he could use that thing to puppeteer squirrels, bears, wyverns, all sorts. Then he got possessed, of course. And I almost got ate by an army of lemmings.” Broma winced a little. She still had the tiny bite scars on her ankles.

“Army of lemmings? Are you serious?” Rurik chuckled, and then squinted at her over his own pint of beer. “Wait, what happened to the bears and wyverns?”

Broma leaned forward, unashamed of the fearful reverence evident in her voice.

“He recruited the lemmings to kill the bears and wyverns when they got out of hand. I don’t know what to tell you, man, when several hundred lemmings are all snapping at yer ankles and scramblin' up yer drawers, controlled by the single purpose to kill what’s in fronta them and kill it fast… you wish you could just fight the bear.”

“I dunno, Broma... Lemmings? Bears and wyverns I coulda handled...but lemmings?” He shook his head and raised the pint to his lips then paused and glanced past her. “Seriously... Lemmings.” He snorted and took a sip then focused on Broma again. “So, what happened next?”

Broma curled her moustache with a finger as she recalled the details.
“Me and the spirit possessing the harpist had a bard duel, while the necromancer fended off the lemmings… oh, she resurrected the wyverns for it… I beseeched...besought? Some dryads and creek spirits for help. They can be right vengeful, it got a bit hard to stop them from killing the poor sod.”

Broma nodded regretfully. Neither one of them would be able to think of dryads quite the same way again. But she recovered quickly, and casually smoothed out her moustache.

“-Anyway, we got him back to his senses, locked the harp in a box, chucked it in the sea. The guy’s sworn offa stringed instruments ever since. He plays the bagpipes now. Says it’s better for warding off spirits.”

Rurik squinted at her again. “I’m not sure if I even wanna ask, but seriously? Bagpipes? Y’know, I once heard of cursed bagpipes. Dunno if that guy is sure he’s not still cursed or something, but do go on.”

“Well he does bagpipe exorcisms now, but I aint heard much from him. End of the story is, the box was found a year ago washed up on the other side of the coast- empty.” Broma waggled her fingers spookily.

Realising the effect this gave off, Broma dropped the gesture, and put her hands on the table.

“No but it’s a true story, though!” she insisted. “Ask any fisherman in Valir, they’ll tell you!”

“Isn’t that where the Bay of Lies is-” interjected Rurik with a frown only to be cut off.

“Yes. Shut up. It’s true.” Broma interjected back. She took a long draught of beer.

Rurik snorted. “Mmh, I’ll bet it is,” he muttered into his drink.

Now invested in proving her point, Broma sought the help of any bar patron who would answer.

"Hey!" Broma called out over her shoulder. "Anyone here been to the Bay of- Valir?"

A hooded stranger looked up, his eyes glinting oddly in the light. “I think I’ve flown over that area. A small fishing town, yes?”

"Yeah, yeah," replied Broma, "an' you heard about the harp, right? The empty box? Elan the Bagpipe Exorcist?" She added hastily, just in case.

“I found the harp.”

Broma almost squealed with glee. But she bit it down, and turned to Rurik. She was not able to bite down the smuggest of looks. Rurik raised an eyebrow at her. She turned back to the hooded bird man, and tried to play it casual.

"Oh?" she said, already failing, "Didja? Please, tell us about it." With a gesture, she invited the bird over to an empty barstool beside her.

The bird man approached at a strange hopping strut. His wicked claws clicked against the floor. He cocked his head at the stool as if considering a plan of attack, but seemed to decide to remain standing.

“Well, it was about a moon ago, the leaves had only just started to turn. I had been flying for days and I was tired, so I stopped in Valir to rest.” He flexed his claws, as if he could still feel the sand between them. “It’s very nice there, not so crowded as here so I stayed for a long while. I was hunting for fish when I happened on the box, I think it must have been the third week I was there. It was just lying on the shore with no one around, I found it strange, so I picked it up and opened it.”

“And ye saw the harp?” Broma interrupted.

The bird man’s wings rustled, annoyed at being interrupted. “Yes, I did. It looked nothing like the harps I’d seen before and I’ve certainly never seen them abandoned in the middle of a beach, so I took it to an acquaintance of mine to ask if he knew anything about it. He specializes in strange things, you see. Artifacts, curiosities, that sort of thing, and when he saw the harp he all but fainted away. He told me I’d found something terribly cursed, and that it should be destroyed.” The bird man’s wings twitched again. “It almost pained me to do it, but I suppose a thing that inspires so much fear couldn’t be a good thing to wield.”

Broma perked up. She leaned forward. The laws of gravity reminded her to lean back again.

"You destroyed it? Oh, thank goodness." said Broma, and sighed in relief. "So, what didja do to it?"

“We threw it in the fireplace.”

Broma nodded. “Fire.” She nodded again. “Fire’s good.”

But after a moment, something else crossed her face, and she added, “Just fire?”

“Yes,” he cocked his head slightly. “Would that not work?”

"Eeeeehhhhh…" Broma stalled while she recalled whatever scraps she'd heard on the subject.

'A cleric should bless the fire, by the name of R'lyeth…'

'Cast it into a volcanic pit on the Solstice of Pardons…'

'Drink a barrel of mead and dance in a circle around the fire, with a goat under each arm, and a rooster on your head…'

'Pay the Priest's Guild of Providence four thousand florins…'

'I'm just a choirboy, ma'am, but I'd try salt first…'

"Pffffffine. Probably fine." Broma said, and gave the bird a friendly pat on the back. "Good job."

At that moment, a towering figure approached from behind, and both Broma and Rurik had to crane their necks upward to see the elf’s face. His long blond hair fell over his shoulders as he looked down, and he had a confused smile, but his eyes sparkled with amusement.

“Excuse me, sorry to interrupt,” he apologized, his voice sounding very proper and polite. “But I believe one of you is the dwarf I’m looking for regarding a contract?”

“Oh, yeah,” Broma replied. “Hang on.” She grabbed her cittern, jumped up on the table, and strummed the first bar of the Introduction Song.

"Alright, listen up, ladies and gents!" she sing-songed loudly, and gestured to Rurik behind her. "My friend here has an announcement to make!"

Rurik cleared his throat and sat forward. “Ahem, yes, ah… I, uh, sent out a contract earlier this week and I’d like to speak to those of you who picked it up!”
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:09 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Kiirion Ayair Faelar
cowritten with @Oxara @SirenCymbaline and @ScarlettFire

70 Days B.N.D

Kiirion was not fond of being soaked to the bone, and he hadn't been trying to make a dramatic entrance when he finally found refuge from the storm in the shelter of the tavern. The elf who went in before him didn't help either, slamming the door shut after them like a brooding child. So he was glad when conversation picked up again and attention was drawn away from his towering figure and his sopping wet clothes.

There was a little puddle around his feet when he stopped at the bar and found the dwarves. It wasn't hard to spot them of course - they were the only two people of their kind, and far smaller in stature. But it was more than that. There was something familiar about the bearded fellow (Rurik, he assumed from the contract he'd read) that was eating away at the back of his mind, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. It had been some time since he'd seen many dwarves in person, but he knew it wasn't just that either.

He took a small step back and listened as the dwarven woman leaped on the table. Even with the added height, he still was looking down at her. He listened as Rurik cleared his throat to follow the woman's shout, gathering the attention of all the others in the tavern. Chatter seemed to die down again - though the kitchen behind the bar was still busy, and a table of female elves at the back was whispering lowly.

“Ahem, yes, ah… I, uh, sent out a contract earlier this week and I’d like to speak to those of you who picked it up!” Rurik announced, looking around the bar expectantly. Kiirion, of course, did the same. He didn't know who else had responded to Rurik's call besides himself.

"So if that's you, then please, please!" Rurik waved his arm in a circular motion to welcome people to the table. "Come sit and we'll discuss."

A few of the tavern's residents, upon realizing the announcement was not pertinent to them, turned back to their previous conversations, drinks, and meals. For a moment, Kiirion thought that no one else had come for the same reasons as him, but a few people started to get up and approach.

First, there was the elf with the greatsword, who was also soaked from the rain that drew near. The elf, who was nearly as tall as Kiirion (which was in all honesty, a welcome observation), walked with what seemed to be a powerful presence. Those that he walked by seemed to crawl into themselves just a little bit, making him appear that much taller. Even without speaking a single word, his message carried. When he successfully intimated the whole room, he walked up to the table with the two dwarves. He reached back and pulled a piece of paper out from his pocket, and somewhat ungracefully pulled the string, keeping it rolled up. He then, with some power that even a warrior of his height should not possess, slammed the paper on the table. The table groaned, and in its effort to keep itself together, splintered in multiple places. Kiirion's brows raised.

Rurik flinched back as the table shuddered and cracked through the middle. His eyes went wide, and there was a second of silence before he laughed. The woman on the table yelped and tripped back a little. With contextually perfect reflexes, she halted just shy of knocking over a flagon of beer. "Jeebus man, ye gave me a fright," she said with a grin, before returning to her barstool. "S'not often I fall offa table after just one."

That made Rurik laugh again, turning to the stranger.

"Well, that was quite a display," he joked. "What's your name, then? I'm Rurik."

"Riltar," the elf answered, though the language did not sound like his first leaving his tongue.

Rurik took the short answer in stride, still smiling with a charisma that didn't wane. "Ah. Riltar. Surely your title must be Riltar the Strong. That was very impressive. I'm sure your strength will come in handy on our quest." He patted the table firmly, though with some restraint. Kiirion could see the owner of the tavern giving their group a heated glare from the back of the bar, and he knew Rurik saw the look too when he mouthed something to the owner briefly with a wave of his hand.

Rurik turned his attention to Kiirion. "And your name?"

"Kiirion Ayair Faelar," he said with a small smile and a nod. "But just call me Kiirion. Pleasure to meet you, Rurik."

There was a look that passed over Rurik's face that only fed Kiirion's odd sense of growing familiarity with the dwarf. Recognition - or rather, confusion. The name finally clicked in his head, and a rush of memories returned to him.

A little over a hundred years ago, one of his dearest friends was a dwarven man by the name of Thorik von Torunn. That was before much of dwarven kind had disappeared in the deep mines of the mountain. Before they fell out of touch, and Kiirion neither heard from or could find him again. He'd resigned himself to never finding any closure because all of his searches for answers came up empty. That was the reason he'd come to this tavern in the first place - he wasn't so interested in Rurik's search for wealth, or adventure, or whatever it might've been - he was hoping to discover the cause of his friend's disappearance.

But Thorik had not disappeared from the world as a lone dwarf. Succeeding him was a son who Kiirion had met as but a baby, and that child had been named Rurik.

Kiirion had not realized he'd been staring. He blinked, clearing his throat.

"I-I'm sorry. Um. What did you say your last name was again?"

Rurik opened his mouth to reply but their attention was stolen by another pulling up a stool beside them. A hooded half-elf with dark red hair spilling out from beneath said hood sat down. "Hello," he said and gently placed a piece of paper on the cracked table. "I believe this conversation includes me?"

Rurik nodded earnestly, turning to ask the half-elf's name. Kiirion's head was clouding. The name Arannis went in one ear and out the other. He was trying to remember - no, it wasn't that voluntary. His memory returned with full vibrancy. The day he'd come to visit Thorik and meet his newborn son, and the affection with which Thorik so tenderly held the infant, and how soft his expression was as he looked down on him in his arms. Thorik's face had been glowing with a joyful radiance as he handed the baby to Kiirion, and Kiirion very clearly remembered how small and fragile the baby felt in his arms. The baby had already sprouted a thick tuft on red hair atop his head and had been so calm in being passed from person to person.

It was then that Kiirion felt a gentle touch.

The moustachioed dwarf woman had put a hand on his wrist. She may have gone for his shoulder, had she been able to reach anything else above the belt. She looked a little concerned, but mainly bemused. Had he been making faces?

"Hey buddy," she said. "Y'aright there?" She waited, and nodded. It seemed she decided he was fine. She smiled, gave his wrist a little pat, and let him go. "Broma. Nice to meetcha. That's Arannis, and Rurik von To.. Tori? -Toruun! That was it. Yeah, he's pretty neat."

Kiirion released a quiet breath he hadn't been aware he was holding. So he was right. That was Thorik's son, seated at the table with all of them.

"Ah. Thank you," he replied with a soft tone. "Apologies. It seems I got lost in thought. But uh, yes. He seems like a friendly fellow."

"Perhaps too friendly," the half-elf muttered in Elvish and Kiirion glanced left. Arannis wasn't really looking at anyone or anything in particular, his hooded head lowered slightly, but he clearly seemed uncomfortable if the way he was hunched in on himself a little was anything to go by.

Kiirion tilted his head ever so slightly to the side, not that he expected to get a clear glance under the hood. He looked between Broma and Arannis before he decided to sit down, finally, taking a seat beside the half-elf and replying in elvish, though more quietly. "For someone like you, who's more withdrawn, it may seem that way. But there's no harm in it."

Arannis glanced towards him and he caught a glimpse of pale skin, amber eyes and a set of scars across the left-hand side of the half-elf's face. "Maybe," he said, this time in common, and looked away again. "Maybe not."

Kiirion withheld a chuckle, only wearing the hint of a smile. He switched to common in turn. "Ah. Indecisive, I see. Maybe you'll figure it out eventually."

"Hmph," the half-elf grunted, shooting Kiirion a dark look. "If you say so."

He nodded slightly, keeping his amusement to himself since Arannis seemed sensitive. Quick to take it personal, and defensive.

"We'll see," he said, glancing over around the table, noting the others that had joined. There was another half-elf, one with freckles and brown hair. There was also a human with short hair kept under a hood who sat beside an Aarakrocra, who gave Kiirion a slight pause. He didn't see many bird folk in these parts. Or any, really, for that matter.

He looked back at Arannis. "I'm sure we'll all come to understand each other more on our journey. It definitely won't be a short one."

Arannis narrowed his amber eyes at Kiirion. "Hopefully short," he muttered, not bothering to switch to Elvish again. He played with the paper on the table and sighed, muttered something in what sounded like Infernal to Kirrion and then added, in common; "I suppose I'll make do."

"Well, you'll have to anyway, if you're choosing to join," Kiirion commented before his head turned at hearing Rurik's voice raise. He seemed to be trying to gather everyone's attention.

"I'm thinking with a group this size we'll need a wagon for all the supplies we'll need for our journey. We'll also need to stock up on rations and arrange horses for those who'll need them. Oh- and if you're worried about payment, don't be. I'll be covering the costs for this adventure! What I'll need from you is not your money, but your commitment, your strengths, skills, and your bravery. I greatly anticipate what we will find - ah-"

Rurik pulled out a large, old map from his bag and spread it out on the table. Kiirion was familiar with most of it, including where Rurik's finger landed when he pointed to a mark in the southern mountains of Ibessa, near a lake.

"Here. We're headed here. And of course, don't forget that I wholeheartedly plan to follow through on my promise of both gold and glory." He looked up at all of them, his eyes gleaming with excitement and hope. Kiirion wanted to ask what it was he expected to find there, but it wasn't the time. Rurik kept going. "This will be a historic adventure, and I'm so glad all of you responded to my post. So, unless there's any questions or something I missed, I see no reason why we shouldn't go get to work!"

A few heads turned to the front door, looking out the windows. It was still raining. And it wasn't light rain.

"Or... maybe we'll wait a minute. How about I get everyone some drinks?" he waved down a server. "Get a round of drinks for everyone! Drinks on me!"
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:39 pm
View Likes
AlmondEyes says...

Kisara Halcyon

71 Days B.N.D

Whoosh!

I jumped back, dodging the swing of a surprisingly large Goblin, the sound of his hand moving past my head enough to make any person tremble in fear. Rain poured down around us as it came at me once more, water cascading down the trees and cliffs nearby. The ground we stood on was even covered with several inches of rain as we thrashed about in this fight.

Though I was covered with my cloak, I was soaked to the bone and very unhappy with the situation at hand. The cold had sunken into my bones where it was not welcome. Then again, the coldness that had already claimed me may yet welcome it. Lightening cut through the sky, momentarily illuminating the surrounding area. No sooner than another heartbeat came the resounding crash of thunder, the magnitude of which seemed to shake the ground. Out of nowhere came another flash of lightening, smashing into the tree beside us. The tree splintered, pieces of it flung every which way as we went with them. I was thrown into a tree, falling to the ground and into the bone chilling water.

Pulling myself up into a kneeling position as to keep myself some what concealed by the trees, I scanned the darkness around me looking for the Goblin. This would be my chance to get the drop on him, as he had gotten the drop on earlier. I was riding into town to meet about the message that had been circulating there. Upon entering the forest leading to it, a Goblin came seemingly from nowhere and attacked. The horse I's been atop of now lay dead and half submerged in water. I was going to be late.

I didn't like being late.

Upon remembering my tardiness due to this mongrel attacking me and killing my horse, my ire turned to anger, which then very quickly turned to a quiet rage. I scanned my surroundings once more, looking deeper into the darkness. Another bolt lightning shot across the sky, and I spotted a large figure stumbling to it's feet about twenty yards away from me. Pushing to my feet, I went full sprint toward it.The Goblin didn't seem to notice my advance, which worked in my favor. The beast must have realized that I was drawing near, and turned to face me, but it was already too late. Planting my foot against tree closest to him, with a burst of kinetic energy I pushed off and planted my fist squarely in his jaw. The energy sent with the strike threw it back into a tree, it's body slumping to the ground.

Put the beast out of it's misery, came that voice from the darkest part of my mind.

"That may be best," I answer aloud. "but I have somewhere to be."

What of the others who cross it's path?[i ] it reasoned. [i]That blood will be on your hands.

I gazed down at the Goblin, pondering my next move. It seems I pondered a tad bit too long.

The beast stirred, grumbling as it did. The Goblin stood slowly as it's gaze leveled with mine. It charged at me. Tucking and rolling, I dodged the charged and turned to face off once more. It righted it's course and charged once more. One deep breath in. One deep breath out. I raised my hand and zeroed in on it's throat. The beast stopped in it's track dropping to it's knees and grasping at it's throat as if to pry the invisible force away to draw breath. I beckoned it towards me with two fingers, and it had no choice but to comply as the Goblin's body seemed to float towards me. I cocked my head to the side, taking in the sight of the creature dangling before me.

"Shh," I hushed the snarling growling thing.

Not that it heeded me.

"I said..." the beast drifted forward by my silent command. "you will be quiet."

The Goblin's struggling ceased, it's arms falling to hang on either side of it's body. The beast had gone quiet and slack.

"You will sleep now." I instruct. "You will feel no pain."

Another bolt of lightning slashed through sky brightening the everything under it, including the Goblin as it's eyes closed. With the flick of my wrist, it was no more as I let the creature fall to the ground. Without another word I turned, running back in the direction toward town for the meeting as the clap of thunder boomed yet again overhead.

70 Days B.N.D

Words could not fathom the depths of my anger as I made my way to the designated location. I was late.

I hated being late.

Damn Beast. The scowl on my face deepened as I flicked my wrist and entrance to the meeting place flew open in time with the dance of thunder and lightning in the sky. My boots were heavy on the wooden floor as I made stepped inside, drawing most eyes in the room. All chatter ceased in the room as everyone's attention was directed at me. Slowly, I waded through the tables, my head on a swivel.

"I answer the call of a nobleman who seeks adventurers to find a lost tomb." I turned, surveying the room. "Am I in the right place?"

The room was so hushed you could probably hear a feather fall to the floor. Then again, I did kind of smash the door open and startle most people in here as well as disrupt their merriment. Most of the people in here were probably too inebriated understand what was happening. In all honesty, I probably look like a hooded dark figure to them. They may not have known what to make of me. Maybe they didn't really care at all.

"Here for the quest?" came a woman's voice from a table near the bar called.

My gaze shifted in her direction as I cocked my head, focusing on her. There was quite the height difference between us. This much was evident. Certainly bustier, though that was neither here or there. She had dark curls braided into pigtails and a surprisingly luscious mustache. She must have been A dwarf. I recall hearing something about there being very few of them left. Interesting.

"Jist over here- there's a space'" she called out, waving toward an empty seat.

Everyone continued on with their own merriment as I weaved my way through the tables. Until someone blocked my way with their body. He was several inches taller than me, with a rather meaty build. He actually looked familiar. Good things didn't come from me recognizing people. My encounters with people normally don't go very well.

"Not so fast." he scowled. "Who the hell are you?"

"Just someone looking for gold and glory." was my reply as I maneuvered myself around him.

Since this didn't seem to satisfy him, he pulled my hood down as I passed and revealed my face. I took a deep breath, and then blew it out as I turned to face him. Attention was once more drawn to me.

"Would you look at who it is?" he threw his arms wide and addressed everyone. "It's the lovely huntress herself!"

"You'll have to excuse me." I cock my head to the side. "I don't know you, but you certainly seem to know me."

The fact that he called me huntress instead of my actual name means our paths crossed under less pleasurable circumstances. This was then confirmed when he grabbed the front of my shirt and pulled me to him. Another fight might be what was needed to quell the anger inside of me.

Before anything more could happen, two feathered arms cut between us and pushed us apart, and I was surprised to see they were attached to what looked like a large, anthropomorphic Falcon. Interesting.

"Enough," The birdman growled, fixing us both with his beady eyes. "We do not want to start this journey with infighting."

I returned the birdman's gaze. "I did not come to fight more. That being said," my eyes slid towards the unknown assailant as my voice chilled. "spilling blood is something I'm not afraid to do."

The birdman made an odd humming noise in the back of his throat and nodded. "As am I, but we are all on the same side, yes?"

"That is a question for the one who started this." my head cocked once more to the side as I held eye contact. The birdman cocked his head at my attacker.

"I will not allow you to cause chaos before we have even begun. If you have a quarrel, you will settle it peacefully or," the bird clicked his taloned feet against the floor. "You May take it up with me."

"You would do well to heed his words and deal with him." I warn. "I would not be so diplomatic."

The birdman waited silently for a response.

He made a derisive noise and brushed Birdman's feathered arm away in digust as he went back to his seat. The look he gave told me he'd let things be, but not let it go. He would be a problem for another time.

the Birdman nodded again and returned to his own. I followed behind him, taking the other empty seat. He leaned over to me and murmured, "Apologies for the interference. I realize you must be perfectly capable of defending yourself, but given the circumstances..."

"Trying to diffuse a situation that may have otherwise escalated is understandable." I meet his gaze. "In all truth, you probably just saved his life."

Just as he opened his mouth opened his mouth to reply, a motion caught my eyes. Realizing the danger, I plant my booted foot again Birdman's chair and shoved hard just as a broadsword came down on the table where his feathers had just been resting.

That time came sooner than expected.

"I heed no one." Spat the attacker from earlier.

He yanked the sword back and brought it down once more, this time aiming for me. I dodged out if the way, kicking him in the face before he was able to regroup. He stumbled back several steps, blood spilling from his nose and mouth. I advance on him, coming in with another kick to his face, then come back around with my heel to his face once more with kinetic force behind it. He would most likely not be a problem again this evening. He may not heed anyone, but he certainly did heed the heel of my boot.

The birdman, who had jumped up after the first attack, perched back on his chair, feathers ruffled, clicking his beak sharply as he kept a glaring eye on the attacker.

I turned back to the Birdman. "Sometimes it is just unavoidable."

My eyes surveyed the room as I inquired, "Unless anyone else wants problems, I suggest you continue on."

Everything was still for a moment, and then the jolly festivities began again.

"Seems like we got a wiley one." Commented the dwarf with a boisterous chuckle. "And what might your name be?"

Settling down in my seat and shrugging off my still dripping wet cloak, I pulled my thoroughly soaked braid over one shoulder and answered, "I have been called many things, but you may call me Huntress for now."

She nodded thoughtfully as she stroked her illustrious facial hair. "Pleasure to me ya. The name's Broma."

She then took a hearty swig of her drink, wiping away a spot that had made it's way down the side of her mouth. I nodded in greeting, wondering if I had been so late that I'd miss the debriefing. Since it seemed like everyone had drinks in front of them, then the likely conclusion would be a yes. Upon finishing the meeting, I would assume they decided to wait until the current storm still raging about outside had subsided before beginning the more than likely perilous journey. If this was the case, then I was in accordance. Not that it would make a difference to me since I was wet from head to toe.
My eyes began wondering around the table, briefly observing the others I would be going on this journey with.

"A pleasure to have made your acquaintance." Birdman flapped his wings. "I am Rous."

I nodded but said nothing continuing my observations

The first would be the Elf across the way and surprisingly tall even while sitting. Nothing seemed extraordinary about his build. He was somewhat muscled but not heavily so, though that wasn't required for one to be strong. His fair looked to be at about mid chest length and seemed to be in a braid similar to mine, though it was behind him so I couldn't' say for sure.

He noticed my gaze and smile politely. "Kiirion's the name. Welcome."

I watched his gaze drift along my face, and linger on my wrists. Following his haze down, it dawned on me that sine I wasn't wearing my cloak. The scars from my early years in shackles were showing, as would the others on my arms, back, and legs though many wouldn't be visible. He said nothing, but they may have stirred his curiosity.

The next would be The elf nearly as tall as the other, though not quite. He noticed my gaze, but offered no more than a nod. He was certainly pale, even for an Elf, but then again I did have pale purple skin, so that was neither here nor there. He didn't seem too much on the friendly side, though I was fine with that. I was under the impression that some may have found him intimidating. The Greatsword would undoubtedly add to that, though it did not bother me in the slightest. I had been around much scarier.

"That there is Riltar." said what I would assume was another Dwarf beside Broma I'd noticed earlier. "He's just a sour puss!"

Riltar slid scathing glance at Dwarf but remained silent. It almost made me smirk.

Almost.

The Dwarf continued. "I am known as Rurik Von Torrun. You missed the big reveal, so I'll give ya the jist."

His finger was on the map I'd noticed spread across the table earlier, resting on a mark in the southern mountains of Ibessa near a lake. "This is where we'll be journeying to after the madness outside has quieted."

I nodded my acknowledgement of his words, and he nodded back. It had been as I suspected, so there were no need for words. Back to the task at hand.

As my gaze wandered over others in the party, it seemed like some of them were preoccupied with their own thoughts. Best to leave them to it. some didn't talk. There were members of the party who weren't sitting even sitting at the table with the rest of us. A distinctly hooded male figure towards the back of the room, with a few stray locks of a deep red shade who sat off by himself stood out to me. I'd felt someone watching me from distance, and maybe it was him. It could have been my skin which was something many took note of, but then again so did my scars, though I doubt her could have seen them from this far. Who would say?

Another person sitting at the bar with only stray locks of black hair stood out, though that was all I could make out. Not even the gender readily apparent though it did not matter much to me. Aside the mysterious dark haired party member was a young half-elf with dark brown hair and mostly full bag adorned with a myriad of colors. I noted other that may have been here for the journey, but decided I would wait and confirm my suspicions before trying to do a full assessment of them. There was much to be done, and many things to ponder.

Spoiler! :
@Europa @SirenCymbaline @Oxara Hope everything is in order. Let me know if I need to change anything!! Other than that, I hope you guys Enjoy ^^
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:34 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

Rous

70 Days B.N.D

With the rain pouring outside, Rurik decided to pay for everyone to spend the night at the inn. Rous almost followed the example of the one called Riltar and find a nice open space to sleep, a nice tree maybe, or somewhere on the mountains that towered nearby, but it was still raining, and if there’s one thing Rous hated it was wet feathers. So, he was lead to a room by the innkeeper. He kept glancing sideways at Rous, as if making sure he really was in fact a giant anthropomorphic bird. Rous has grown used to the treatment, and paid it no mind, but the cramped room overcrowded with ground walker’s furniture made his wings twitch in agitation. Not for the first time, he thought of the high ceilings of his home, his wide, simple bedroom with none of this bed and wardrobe and night stand nonsense, where it didn’t matter if you perched in the rafters, and no one would tell you to come down because that was expected, and his heart ached.

“Sir,” the concerned voice of the innkeeper interrupted his thoughts. “Are you alright?”

“Ah,” Rous clicked his beak thoughtfully, taking a moment to pull the correct common words out of his memory and asemble the sentence before soeaking. “Yes, I am well. Thank you for the room.” He tilted his head and narrowed his eyes at the side heap of blankets no doubt meant for sleeping “is it required I use the bed?”

A surprised pause “well no, sir, but I assure you it’s the very best we—“

But Rous was already lifting off, his wings bumping awkwardly against the furniture, and clamborning into the roof. “This is preferable for me. Thank you very much.”

Again, there was that unique look of someone who’s trying not to stare and failing miserably. Then the innkeeper shook her head a little. “Of course, enjoy your stay.”

The door closed, making the room seem that much smaller. Rous tucked his arms into the feathery pockets on his sides, and tucked his beak under his wing. Sleep was slow to come that night, but eventually he drifted into unconciousness.

69 Days B.N.D

What was that saying ground walkers used? out of the frying pan and into the fire
That's what waking up that moring felt like. The sunlight was just beginning to stir Rous when something shot past his cheek and embedded itself into the rafter behind him. Rous squawked in alarm and whipped his head in the direction of the missile. It was a knife, catching the light from the small window like a glinting eye. Rous looked down. the Huntress from last night was sitting up, staring directly at him.

"Now," her head cocks to the side as her eyes hold his. "What do we have here?"

Rous bit back an angry shriek. "What is this? You attack me in my own room, after we helped each other?" He made the mistake of spreading his wings to their full span, and winced as they banged against the rafters. He tucked them in and made the tight swoop downward, landing on the foot of the bed with a heavy creak. His claws left gashes in the wood as he tried to keep his balance.

She looked at me for a moment and said, "I was under the impression this room was unoccupied" she cocked her head to the side again. "Obviously not."

"Ah," Rous's feathers flattened. It was dark last night, she must not have seen him in the rafters. "My apologies then. I prefer roosting to sleeping in a bed." He shrugged his arms out of their pockets, and lowered himself to the ground. "Did the innkeeper not show you the way?"

"Did you not take into account that you don't sleep in a bed?" She retorted with a raised brow.

Rous clicked is beak in annoyance. It was as if she thought he chose to be here, in this unknown place. "If it were up to me, I would have found somewhere outdoors to sleep, but I prefer to keep my feathers dry." He leaned on the bedframe. "No need to be rude about it."

"Hm." Was her reply.

Nothing else.

They both looked over as the door opened. Rurik was in the doorway, stopped dead. He looked between the two, a little wide-eyed. "Oh, I'm...sorry. Was--Am I interrupting?"

Rous met eyes with the Huntress, and pushed away from the bed. "Only a conversation."

Rurik nodded, clearing his throat. "Sorry about that. I wanted to let you know we'll be setting off in a little bit."

I'm the time that he'd spoken, Huntress gathered her few belongings.

Rous nodded. "We'll be ready."

"Word to the wise," Huntress stopped at the door, her eyes sliding toward Rous. "Not sleeping In a Bed isn't a big deal. Not telling us and having someone wake up to your beak is a good way to end up as a roast."

The smile on her face certainly wasn't one of kindness or concern. Nonetheles, Rous modded.

"That's useful to know." The Huntress squinted at him for a moment, trying to discern whether he was being sarcastic, but only shook her head and walked on.

When they exited the inn, they found the rest of the party already gathered by the cart. The attacker from last night glared as they emerged. Rous met the evil look with his own. This one would need watched, but for now, he would turn his focus to the journey ahead. As the party began to roll out, Rous ticked his arms back in their pockets, stretched out his wings with a relieved sigh and finally, finally, took to the sky.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:02 am
View Likes
Oxara says...

Riltar Kardom

69 Days B.N.D

Riltar had awoken in a cave, his wings curled around his body acting as a blanket. Why he did this, given the fact that he isn't bothered by any temperature, he did not know. He might be transformed but even his elf body was as strong, heavy and had features of his dragon form. He knew it was weird for elves to leave and go to the forest for bedding, but had seen a few go into the forest and mediate and stay there all night, sleeping and all, so he could get away with it.

His body ached and tried to pull him back to sleep. humanoids get up so early he thought. He stretched his body, as a fresh round of pain filled his body, he had spent nearly the entire night practicing magic, freezing the rain, letting the now ice drop or hover, turning air into deadly ice, he even tried to use nature magic, although he had no luck in it. The only other magic he had success in was water, although the best he could do there was move the water a little bit. He really would need to find someone else who knew magic to teach him.

Putting aside the pain, he knew he only had a while to get back to town soon. He flew up to the top of a mountain which made the sun visible but much more importantly locating food easier. It barely took him any time to kill and eat a pair of deer.
He gave a heavy sigh as he put his sword and various gear back on, leaving part of the shirt off to enable him to fly. He flew back just before the entrance to town, let his wings disappear, put on his shirt and then went to the Inn.

By the inn there was a wagon, seeming filled with supplies and quite a few people from last night stood waiting. He gave a simple nod to them, before going inside the wagon and entering his sleep cycle, but careful to make sure he had full vision of the wagon in his trance-like sleep. To the others he would just seem to be sitting there, perhaps a bit zoned out but certainly not asleep. It was only a little while after that the door to the inn opened up and the Aarakrocra , Rous his name was if he recall, as well as the huntress entered. There was muttering and even a song burst out which he assumed was from the dwarf, which he believed her name was Broma Bella. Riltar grunted at the names, non-dragons had such strange ways of naming their kind. Even His father didn't have a last name, or at least none that Riltar was aware of. As far as Riltar was concerned, last names were for titles, which he wished to get a last name worthy of a night dragon someday. Riltar scoffed at his elf name, it was the most dragon like first name he came up with for this form.

After a short conversation about the weather, everyone packed into the wagon, and it started moving. It shocked Riltar how slow the wagon was, he had never needed a wagon, he had his wings for fast travel, and even an elf's speed was much quicker than a wagon. He let his mind return to his trance like sleep for a while, during which he had to break his trace for such trivial things such as moving from the spot and when he thought Broma was pulling a weapon out, but it was just her instrument, but what said instrument name was he was not sure. After a few hours of this trace, he had finally managed to get all the rest he needed for the next few days, meaning he wouldn't have to sleep around them for a while. He now found that part of the party was gathered around something, they used some of the crates of supplies as chairs and tables. Riltar sat up from his part of the corner, he didn't like being in the wagon, it was too easy to ambush. He went over to the gathered party, to find a map laid out. He didn't know any of the names, but he knew the sky well enough to know some of the areas, although the map was incorrect, the portions of the road, city, maps, everything was all wrong. What use was a map if it gave you incorrect information.

Riltar nerves acted up, his back begged to grow wings and fly from here. "Excuse me I'll be right back." Riltar said to no one in particular and proceeded to jump out the back of the wagon before anyone could respond. he ran along the wagon at it's slow pace for a little while. However, soon that wasn't enough for Riltar, he used his slow elf speed to cover the forest looking for any trouble, and went to several locations where it would be perfect for ambush, a rocky cliff looking down where the wagon would be coming in an hour if their peace was still as slow as it was as when he left. He found nothing but a few goblins and bandits around, which each time he dealt with quickly, making deadly ice darts in the air and sending them at incredible speed to the heart or head, or one case an eye, of the enemy. Altar still ached to fly but he controlled himself, he couldn't risk it yet. Perhaps tomorrow or the day after he shall grow his wings and fly above the wagon, circling it, to them he would be nothing but a bird. But it would be too suspicious the first day, and he couldn't do it every day, even if he wished to do so.

It was late by the time Riltar returned to the wagon, which some people seemed surprised to see him return, while others gave him only a passing nod. The Bard burst out after a second to collect herself "Well where did you go off to, and how come you didn't invite any of us!"

Riltar turned to the dwarf "I wanted to stretch my legs that was all." The dwarf made a comment back, but he ignored it as met eyes with Rous, who seemed to dislike this wagon nearly as much as Riltar did, although perhaps for similar yet slightly different reasons. Although it could have just been Riltar's imagination. Regardless It hadn't crossed Riltar's mind that perhaps Rous would also want to fly, if that is the case it would make flying a lot more difficult, to fool a bunch of people who have never flow that he is a bird is no issue, to fool a Aarakrocra that is another issue. He had fooled a tribe of them before, but that took ages to do, and he wouldn't be able to do it here. At points he almost wished he had transformed into an Aarakrocra instead of an elf, although they aren't known for their magic, and various other factors made the elf's more practical for Altar.

Riltar glanced outside and recognized the surrounding area from his scouting. "Perhaps we should stop for the night and rest." Riltar Suggested, of course he only suggested so because the only cave for miles was quickly fading away. He wouldn't need rest for a while perhaps two days. He planned to move to the cave and practice his magic in the cave. If his magic worked with him , maybe he would be able to freeze the water in the stone walls or the stalagmites and stalactites, cracking the stone. He knew it may leave a bitter taste if he left immediately though so he helped set up the camp before leaving.

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:05 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

Lynncae Makkel
co-written with @soundofmind

70 Days B.N.D

Lynn yawned into a hand, her bag swinging heavy on her back. This group she was now a part of, carried quite interesting persons, and she figured she probably was the most boring one of the bunch. Well, she could at least hope that any aggression her party might have felt towards each other would go away before they traveled too far in their journey.

The wagon strolled along, dragged by the steady horses. Lynn never left her home until she learned to become a thief, so now she had never come back to the forest, to the trees. Traveling all this way would probably do her some good. As long as everyone behaved themselves and didn't lead to anyone getting in serious trouble.

She had answered Rurik's quest with a bit of fear, but also a decent dose of excitement. Lynn grinned to herself, peeking through one of the small openings to the outdoors, to the green that lined the road. Perhaps now would be the chance to pass time getting to know some of her new companions.

But, who to choose? Plenty of the people on this wagon looked rather dangerous and hostile, while more had stayed quiet during this whole ride so far. Lynn looked for who she had dubbed a "gentle giant" at least from her first impression of him, the Elf who stood taller than anyone else back at the inn.

She herself had decided to sit in the back, mostly from a desire to watch everyone else. Lynn realized who sat next to her, and wanted to slap her forehead. Kiirion, if she remembered overhearing, was the fellow right at the other edge of their means of travel. Well, she gulped, before crawling closer to him, here went nothing.

With a wide smile, she waved at him, before chirping out a hello in Common. The only time she regretted never knowing her Elvish side was not learning the language.

"Um, hi!" She started. "I'm Lynn!"

Kirrion turned to her with a grin. "Hello," he said, gesturing to himself. "Kiirion."

Well, this was off to a grand start because he replied. Although she hoped she wasn't bothering him too much.

Lynn nodded, not wanting to say that she had heard his name from before. "I wanted to say hello 'cause I figured, we should get to know each other. But, all I speak is Common, so I might run into trouble with some people."

She took a needed breath. "It's a delight to meet you!"

Kiirion chuckled. "You too," he said, leaning back a little on his arm. "So, what brought you on this quest?"

And he asked her a question, even. Lynn needed to curb her urge to shriek. This was the first person in forever that was receptive to her overly friendly behaviors.

"I, uh, joined up 'cause I hadn't even been on an adventure before. Or outside of my house until recent times. Or, ya'know, two weeks ago. Plus, this sounded fun!"

She shrugged, picking at dried paint on her fingers from a recent painting. "What interested you, if I can ask?"

Kiirion took in a breath and nodded. "Ah. Well." He glanced back at the front of the wagon, where Rurik was sitting, holding the leads for the horses. There was a hint of sadness on his features. "I have a feeling I'm probably the only one here on more... personal matters. Besides Rurik, that is." He paused, turning back to Lynn with a small smile. "I haven't quite found the right moment to address it."

Oh, that was interesting. And mysterious. She giggled in her head. "That's admirable of you. I can't imagine all of your... er uh, years of experience, and like, personal matters." Lynn mimicked his tone on the last two words.

And then grimaced because she might have just called him old. Her first new friend, insulted within a short few minutes of meeting him.

Kiirion let out a breathy laugh, his eyebrows arching up in surprise. But he didn't look offended? At least, she didn't think so. Maybe she could breathe a slight bit in relief.

"Well, you're not wrong. It's fair to say I have far more life experience than you. Though, in all honesty, I find that I tend to forget, comparatively, where others are in their life's journey in regards to age. If a human told me they were 60, I would say they were very young, but apparently it isn't so." He shrugged. "Granted, when humans pass about 50, I think, it starts to show."

Lynn grinned a bit sheepishly. "That makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure when Half-Elves start 'coming old, but I guess I'll find out eventually."

Kiirion hummed. "Well, you still seem young in spirit. That's half the battle."

"You do too, mister!" The word slipped out. "Uh, I mean, um." Her cheeks went red. First she called him old, then she called him old in a second way.

He cracked another smile, looking out at the road, slightly shaking his head. "Just Kiirion is fine," he said, before looking over at her, his expression softening a little. He probably noticed her blushing. "It's okay. Don't worry about it. So - you said you only know common. Have you ever wanted to learn more about your elvish heritage?"

Lynn appreciated the change in conversation. "Ah, yes, sure, absolutely. I grew up with my ma, 'n my village, and she never knew much about my da, but learning more would be great." She scratched the back of her neck. "I don't know much of anything."

"Well. I've been on the road for a large portion of my life, but I still carry a lot of it with me. If you ever have questions, I'm sure we'll have plenty of opportunities to talk," he offered. "Your mother was human, then?"

"Oh, wow. Thanks." She grinned. "And yes, she was human."

Kiirion nodded. She hadn't thought of her mother for a time, not since Lynn left her village after her death. But she had inspired her to set out and explore more than just the forest she called home. Kiirion was quiet for a moment as he looked back out to the road.

"Hello," he said in elvish. "That means 'hello.'"

Lynn blinked. Was he going to teach her Elvish? She could cry. "Hello," she repeated slowly.

Kirrion smiled a little, eyes still on the road and the trees passing by. "You can greet me like that from now on. For practice."

She didn't think she had ever felt so ecstatic in her life, besides first learning how to become a thief. "Thank you so much, I can't tell you how much this means to me. Even learning a little Elvish is, just, so appreciative." Lynn wore a smile, foolishly big, but absolutely genuine.

"You're welcome," he said, looking at her with the same small smile, before translating. "You're welcome."

Lynn repeated the sounds in her head, hesitating, then speaking them out loud. Two words now from Elvish. "I never thought I'd get the chance to learn. I am so grateful."

Judging by how her mouth was rather dry, they had spoken for a decently long time. Perhaps she should give Kiirion some space, but she gave him one last smile and thanked him before heading back to her spot.

Reaching into her bag, Lynn was relieved to see a flask. Maybe she should have been drinking some water previously, but now would suffice. Not to mention, she added in her mind, they were definitely crossing a decent distance. What would the next section bring her and the rest of the group in the wagon?

She coughed into her arm, then peered back outside, wondering if she would catch anything that seemed familiar to her.
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:20 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Chayel Tuvri

Cowritten with @fraey and @soundofmind

70 Days B.N.D

Chayel was early to the gathering. She was always early. She sat for many hours, watching the comings and goings of the patrons of the inn. She had a small, smooth, oval-shaped rock that she'd found in a river bed years ago that she stroked as she observed the room, calming her nerves.

She stayed out of focus of attention as the other members of the quest identified themselves, causing small bits of drama here and there. She looked for an entrance, but the more people that joined, the more dangerous the group seemed -- and the more she decided it was best to just watch for a while, before announcing her intention to join them.

Coming here might not have been the best plan. It always made her nervous to be in big crowds. She was more than capable of taking care of herself -- but in order to handle a threat, she needed to be able to tell it was coming. And there was far too much to take in to feel like she was adequately monitoring every person in the room.

She listened in to the chat, trying to learn more about this quest than "gold and glory" like promised. Her mentor had always said that if something seemed too vague to be ethical, then it probably wasn't. Gold? Glory? Bah. If she wasn't down to her last tunic she'd never have given it the time it took to read the ad.

And yet, there was something intriguing about the prospects of joining with a group of people she didn't know to go off and have some grand adventure. And, if they happened to be terrible, then she stood more of a chance of stopping their chaos if she was closeby. Either harmless or dangerous, her best play was probably to stay nearby. She made a point of assigning a name to each face, before gradually the faces disappeared to their rooms for the night.

Chay waited until the bar room was nearly deserted, then finally allowed herself to stretch a bit. She'd heard plans of waiting til the morning and taking a cart. She could easily get an extra room and would surely wake up early enough -- but a bed is just where she'd be expected to be found.

Instead she creeped outside and walked under the edge of the roof to the stable. The rain had nearly stopped by now and she stayed mostly dry. She climbed into the loft and made herself a small nest in the hay and then settled down to slumber for the night, tucking her stone back into the pouch that hung from her neck.

69 Days B.N.D

The next morning she woke early and went to wait at the small shop across the street from the inn, buying a small hot breakfast with the second to last coin that she had. She watched as the small party of adventurers assembled and set off, and then followed from a respectable distance, creeping through the woods next to the path. She was careful to stay far enough back that none of them would notice her following along.

Sometime in the mid afternoon she noticed a small lizard lying near the base of a fallen tree. She glanced up at the cart ahead, nearly out of sight by now, then looked back at the lizard. It wouldn't be hard to catch up. There was only one path in these parts -- they'd be following a predictable enough route. She crouched down next to the lizard and whispered to it. "Hi there, little buddy."

The lizard gaped at her, hissing softly as it bared its teeth.

"What nice teeth you have," she murmured. "Such a scary lizard you are indeed. Apex predator."

Her eyes flicked across its body, and she frowned as she noticed a gash on its tail. She untied the pouch from her belt and took a pinch of the spices within out, tucking it into her cheek. She rifled through a few more pouches, dumping a small pile of herbs into her left palm, and then taking a single dried leaf from the smallest pouch yet. She bit the leaf in half, tucking the base of it back into the pouch, and adding the tip to the collection of spices already in her mouth. She carefully spit them into the other herbs in her palm and mixed them into a paste.

"Can I help you?" she asked gently, holding her palm down so the lizard could observe the mixture of spices. "It will make your tail heal faster. Less chance of infection."

She slowly reached forward and slid her right hand under the lizard's belly, ever so gently scooping it into her arms. She carefully applied the paste to the wound, cooing comforting nothings to the lizard as she did. "See? That's much better."

She slowly reached down and scratched the lizard's head. It tensed, but then began to relax, and even lean into her pats. She began walking again. "Let's go catch up with the cart, shall we? You can leave any time you want -- but if you stay with me I can look after you until you feel better again. Up to you."

The rest of the day passed in near silence, aside from occasional things she murmured to her new buddy, which she decided she would call Thessa. As the sunlight began to fade, she watched the party pull off to the side of the road and begin making a camp in a stand of trees. She waited until nightfall, gradually creeping nearer and nearer to the camp. She was surprised they hadn't lit a fire. Surely they were up to no good if they were too scared to light a fire on the very first evening.

Thessa crawled onto her shoulder, and then down into her hood, snuggling into Chay's body heat as the last of the warmth of the sun disappeared with its light. She still wasn't sure what her play was. Maybe she should have introduced herself at the inn the night before -- or even this morning, before they'd set out. She hadn't observed much more today than she had the night before. The ones who seemed like troublemakers were still being troublesome; the ones who seemed loud were still being noisy.

"Just GIVE ME the flint!"

Chay peered around the tree she stood next to as she heard Kisara snarling at someone.

"You've been trying to light this fire for an hour!" Riltar growled.

"Not sure how you figure that, since you've been keeping the flint away from me for that long!"

"WOULD YOU BOTH JUST STOP!" Rous sounded exasperated.

Chay smirked. It must have been a long ride with the two of them together all day.

"How is it--" Broma cut in, taking the flint from Riltar. "That we've managed to collect such a big party as this here, and no one is able to light nary a flame?"

Chay's smirk broadened as she listened. She had been worried that her skills wouldn't be adequate to make her an attractive addition to this little expedition -- but it hadn't even been a full day yet, and it sounded like they were in need of a ranger. She reached up and silently gave Thessa a pat, considering how to make her entrance.

The smirk melted from her face as several voices began bickering again. She barely bit back a sigh. Children. They were a bunch of children. It was going to be a long quest by the sound of things. She rubbed her face as one voice suggested they break some small branches off a nearby tree for tinder. As if that would light well.

"I'll get some moss!"

Chay couldn't tell who'd said it, but it took all her effort not to sigh. She pinched the bridge of her nose. If anyone had ever needed her at any point in her life -- it was this lot, and it was now. They'd never have a hot meal again at this rate. A pang ran through her stomach, reminding her how many hours it'd been since she'd eaten. A hot meal sounded nice right then.

"Just give me the flint." Chay walked out from behind the tree and almost immediately into their midst, causing everyone to recoil. Several people pulled weapons. She rolled her eyes, holding out her hand to the she-dwarf, not bothering to even gratify the others by drawing her own sword. "The flint."

"Ah, here!" Lynn chirped, handing over the flint. "This was what you wanted, right?" She smiled, looking back at the group, then at Chay.

"Yes..." Chay took the flint, gaze flicking between the group and the girl. Lynn, she thought she remembered. So many still had their weapons drawn, and then there was a smile and accommodating presence. "... Thank you. I can make a fire."

"You're welcome!" After a moment, she thought to add. "Can I watch?"

"Sure." Chay looked at the others, still looking at her skeptically. She wasn't about to kneel down and take her eyes off them until she saw a fair bit more accommodation coming from them as well. "I'll not be starting until there's fewer weapons in my face, however."

That was when Rurik spoke up. He wasn't very tall among all the others, but when he stood he seemed to have a commanding presence. Behind the unlit fire pit with both hands raised, he waved at the others. "Come on, guys. Lower your weapons," he said, looking to Chay with a small smile. "I remember you from the tavern. Still on the fence about joining us? I remember seeing you watching from the sidelines."

"I don't commit to quests for 'gold and glory' without knowing anything else." Chay hesitated, rubbing her thumb across the flint. It was more jagged than her stone. She met Rurik's gaze. "But provided the details check out, I think I've seen enough. Clearly a Ranger would benefit your little expedition here... I'm Chay."

"Come join us, please!" Lynn gazed up at her, having being seated. "I'm sure it'll be fun."

Chay's stomach rumbled again. She wasn't sure if it was loud enough for anyone else to notice, but she felt it loud and clear. "If I make this fire, could we discuss this quest a bit more, over a dinner you provide?"

"Oh, yes, of course!" Rurik said, waving a hand to welcome her in with the others (even though many of the others still looked suspicious). "Help us get the fire going, and I'll give you another look at my map and fill you in."

Chay sent a final suspicious gaze around the people in the camp, who were regarding her with every bit as much suspicion, then knelt next to the fire pit. She looked up and noticed someone else on her level.

Sitting to her left was an elf who, despite sitting down, still appeared quite tall. Unlike some of the others, he didn't seem to be regarding her with suspicion. He was just watching with a calm, neutral expression. When she met his eyes he smiled a little.

"Good to have you join us, Chay," he said.

She narrowed her eyes at him a bit, trying to tell if the friendliness was genuine. It seemed like this group was evenly split between people who didn't trust her a bit and people who had no suspicion at all. The contrast was stark.

"Thanks..."

He nodded, before looking to the fire pit. "Well?" He tilted his head towards it expectantly.

Chay brushed her hand across the debris haphazardly stacked in the center of the pit. So much green material that didn't have a chance of catching -- and even if it did, the shape of the stack wouldn't have caught in this lifetime or the next. She sorted through the materials until she found a few small, dried twigs and a few crisp leaves that were dried out.

"I noticed you weren't fighting for the flint," she said, watching him out of the corner of her eye as she pretended to focus entirely on the task at hand. She propped up the twigs into a little triangular fort, shoved the leaves inside, and struck the flint twice. Sparks flew off each time and landed on the leaves. She leaned forward and blew onto the embers, making them spring into small flames. She carefully added some more twigs, turning her gaze back on Kiirion as the materials caught in the flame. "Is that because you know you don't know how to use it, or because it was more entertaining to watch whatever that was supposed to be?"

Kiirion huffed a little through his nose and a little grin tugged at this mouth. He glanced up at some of the others. Riltar, and Rous. "Sometimes I just like to see how things will play out," he said with a little shrug. "It's only a fire. They would've figured it out eventually."

Chay picked up one of the twigs and tried to snap it. It was so green it bent completely in half. She forced it to break in the center, then tossed both halves to Kiiron's feet on the ground. "I wouldn't be too sure. This twig won't be starting any fires for many weeks." She risked a small grin, then turned back to tend the fire, adding on gradually bigger pieces.

Kiirion chuckled. "They would've figured it out with some help," he corrected. "You just stepped in before I did, which I'm grateful for."

"Mm." Chay nodded and grabbed a bigger log laying near the fire pit, carefully adding it to the growing flames. In a matter of moments she had a hearty fire going. She sat back on her heels. She glanced up as she noticed Kiirion still observing her.

As the fire started to crackle to life, a Rurik and Broma let out a few gleeful cheers. Broma pulled out a cittern and started playing a tune while Rurik ran to the wagon to grab something. Lynn directed Riltar who was carrying a large pot of cold soup that they worked to prop up over the fire.

"So how long were you following us?" Kiirion asked. "It looks like you must've been tailing behind all day."

"I've been watching since yesterday." Chay lifted a shoulder. "Took a break this afternoon..."

She looked over her shoulder and gently lifted the lizard out. "I found her this afternoon and stopped to help the cut on her tail. But otherwise, yes. I've been following all day."

Kiirion smiled a little and tilted his head to look at Thessa. "I see."

Before either of them could say anything else, Lynn skittered up beside them, eyes on the little lizard on Chay's shoulder. Her eyes were lit up with excitement.

"You have a lizard?" she asked.

"I mean, she belongs to the earth, not to me," Chay shrugged again. "But I'm helping her tail heal... and I call her Thessa."

Lynn smiled wide, crouching down to get a better look at Thessa. At that moment, Rurik marched up behind them, holding out the large rolled-up map between Chay and Lynn's heads.

"Thanks for getting the fire going," he said. "Ready to take a look?"

"Definitely," Chay said, straightening her shoulders. "Tell me about this quest of yours."

Spoiler! :
I think I characterized the characters right, but if you'd like something changed, just let me know! I'm happy to edit!

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sun May 03, 2020 10:57 pm
View Likes
Necromancer14 says...

Vorg Boneblade

69 Days B.N.D

Vorg stumbled through the forest, completely exhausted. He figured that he should probably sleep, but he was so close to his destination.

You will find a party of adventurers.

Vorg thought about those words of Morgana, his teacher of the dark arts.

I want you to join them.

Well, he didn't particularly want to join them, but unfortunately if he wanted Morgana to teach him any more magic, he had to.

I need to know that you will use the power wisely. Many dark sorcerers have been caught and killed by the authorities because they were foolish and incompetent when it came to split second defensive decisions. Remember; the stronger you get, the more it will show, meaning people can know what you are just by looking at you. You need to be able to take care of yourself if you are found out by a foe of the our kind.

He supposed that that made sense. Going on this quest would prove to her that he was capable of handling stronger magic. he continued stumbling around, and rubbed his eyes. Suddenly, he stopped. He had distinctly heard something.

He didn't hear it again, so he continued walking. However, the moment he continued walking again he heard it. Some sort of rustling. He turned around cautiously, and drew his sword slowly, causing a grating sound as the sword was pulled out of its sheath.

"Grr..." growled the mysterious stalker.

Vorg panicked. He hoped that this was just a normal wolf, and not a dire wolf. Unfortunately, as it leapt out of the bushes, he saw that it was a dire wolf.

"Well that's just wonderful," complained Vorg, and he immediately sheathed his sword and began running away from the creature. As it leapt into the air to pounce on him, an armed skeleton that was glowing green clawed its way up from the ground and engaged the wolf, only to be promptly eaten.

Vorg felt branches tugging at his black cloak as he tore through the forest. Suddenly, he saw a light in the distance and he made for it. Hopefully, it was the adventurers, and hopefully they knew how to fight. He held up his fingers backwards at the wolf, and black mist swirled out from them and hit the wolf on the snout.

The wolf just snarled and continued charging, baring its teeth in it's now withered-looking face. Vorg leapt into the clearing and almost landed on the fire. Fortunately, due to his wonderful reflexes, he tripped on a log and landed elsewhere. Everybody just sort of stared at him. "Who are-" began someone, he didn't know who, but they stopped as the wolf leapt into the campsite.
Dumbledore: "Now, it's great that you've been saving the school and all Harry, but unfortunately your grades have been a tad low, and, well... perhaps Gandalf could explain it better... hit it, Gandalf!

Gandalf: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:50 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Spoiler! :
I would like to credit @soundofmind for writing literally the entire second half of this. Thanks buddy < 3

Broma Bella

69 Days B.N.D

80 kgs of hungry wolf leapt claws first upon the campgrounds. All 60 kgs of Broma leapt behind Kiirion, and strummed a soothing tune.

“If thou wouldst keep standing right there,” she sang to Kiirion, “That would be stellar.” To anyone who didn’t know Elvish it sounded very mystical.

The wolf slowed, and began to sway his head side to side in perfect rhythm.

Rurik looked at the wolf, and he looked at Broma. What little of her could be seen behind Kiirion, anyway. Kiirion gave him a nod.

“Hello.” said Rurik. “Bold entrance, taking down a direwolf.Would you be interested in a quest, Mr…?”

“Vorg. Vorg Boneblade.” said Vorg, bored now the fighting had ceased. “I suppose I’m in the business.”

“Oh! Wonderful.” said Rurik, still stealing the odd glance at the wolf.

“Oh the stars are all but fishes’ eggs,” Broma sang, “ a-waiting to be born, the gods all throw their fisher’s nets to carry star-fish home,”

“I was just telling this other new recruit over here all about it- why doncha come join us?

And thus Rurik began to brief Vorg and Chayel, while casting the odd glance at the lingering direwolf, and at Broma.

Her ankles were a-shaking. But her fingers were sturdy. Her voice was on-key.

“The sun’s the greatest of them all, and when the calf is born, a golden whale will grace the sky and swallow hills a-whole-"

The wolf was still there.

“-but don’t you fear my landborne child, the fishes sleep above, godhands shape and godhands wake a thousand other loves-"

The wolf was still there.

“-the winds, my child, the waves my child, a-stirring in your bones, the moon calls long and moon calls home the lost and weary ones-”

The wolf was spellbound, all well and good, but it wasn’t going away. Broma informed Kiirion in song.

“I swear to the Gods, of above and besides, this usually ends with a nice ‘ol goodbye, but this wolfie aint leavin’, I dunno what to do, but to sing here forever behind good old you.

Say, what if I go, to that hill over yonder, fade out this tune, and then run the **** ...on’der, oh the sky is made of fishing nets, and stars are fishes’ eggs…”

Broma’s Elvish was brushing its limits. Thank the gods Kiirion was a gentleman.

Kiirion scooped up Broma with one hand, and poised to cast a spell on it with the other.

Kisara pounced on the direwolf and snapped its neck loudly with her bare hands.

Broma squeaked, and tightened her arms around Kiirion.

Kisara grunted, and dragged the direwolf's body over to the campfire.

Kiirion cleared his throat, and watched the now-dead wolf carcass pass by before looking down at Broma. She had not moved.

"Well, seems the worry of the wolf is over," he said, looking over at their disheveled new arrival, who picked himself up off the ground, looking out of breath and a little embarrassed. Kiirion looked like he was about to say something, but Rurik spoke up.

"That wolf wasn't yours, was it?"

"What? No. I was running from it," the man replied, adjusting his cloak that had gotten twisted around in his fall.

"Oh, that makes sense. Well, its good that Kisara killed it, then," Rurik concluded. "Who are you, then?"

The man dusted himself off a little before standing up straight in what looked like an attempt to make himself look a little less like a klutz on the run from a big wolf and more like a capable fighter, or mage, or something. They were probably about to find out.

"Vorg Boneblade," he announced.

"Why in't yer blade a bone, then?" Broma interjected.

Her joke was met with a few awkward stares, but Kiirion chuckled. At least they had one good humored fellow.

"She has a point," Rurik joked lightheartedly, smiling as he glanced at her, but his smile faded as he looked back at Vorg. "What brings you here, then? The wolf? Or..."

"I'm here to join you on your journey," Vorg said, giving a sharp nod.

Rurik’s smile returned full force. "Ah! Well, I'm more than happy to welcome more willing hands on our journey!" He glanced at the others. "I'm sure you'll be a fine addition to the group, and since we're only at the start, you'll have plenty of time to get caught up and aquainted with the rest of us."

He twirled a finger and spun around, waving his hand to welcome Vorg by the fire. Vorg paused and gave a hesitant glance at the others, as if to ask if it really was that easy, and it was. Rurik was a very welcoming character and didnt seem phased by the idea of having more hired help. Or at least, hired in the sense that they volunteered for it with the promise of great riches and glory, and whatever other reasons they had for wanting an adventure. They hadn't exactly gotten paid upfront or anything.

Vorg followed Rurik, and everyone else seemed to go back to whatever it was they were doing before the wolf showed up. That was, except for Kisara, who had plopped the wolf by the fire for some reason.

Broma blushed. She was far to old to need picking up, and older still to grab on so tight. Even if it had been a very big wolf.

"Hey, thanks buddy," she said. "Wanna, uh, put me down?"

"Oh, my apologies," Kiirion said with a laugh, yet full of grace, and he set her down.

"Haaah, no problem, man." she said. "Squarin' off with wolfie by meself, my goose woulda been-"

Broma was cut off by the sight of Kisara grilling the wolf on the campfire. She had already skinned it in the time it had taken them to talk.

"-Cooked." Broma finished, in bewildered appreciation of this feat.

"Huh," Kiirion marveled.

"Wanna see if 'e tastes better'n he looks?" said Broma, grinning voraciously.

He chuckled. "I think I'll pass. I've never been a big fan of meat."

Broma smiled, in confused pity for the wonderful world that this elf was missing out on. Then she nodded like a matron saint, with her hands clasped in divine thanks.

"I will finish your share," Broma said graciously.

"How generous of you."

Broma winked. "Anytime."

And she scooted off on her short stout legs, onward bound for free meat.
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:28 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

Lynncae Makkel
co-written with @AlmondEyes

69 Days B.N.D

Did Lynn spend an unholy amount of time repeating Hello and You're welcome to herself as she walked through the camp set-up? Well, she wouldn't admit it to anyone, but it was more true than not. She also spent an unholy amount of time following Chay and Thessa, her lizard.

Since a few people were busy with the wolf remains, Lynn decided to look through her bag, poring over each squeezed-shut containers of paint and her rolled pieces of parchment. She had brought as many things with her as possible, mostly because she had no idea as to how long they would be traveling overall, so the higher amount was good.

After rolling out or laying out some of her belongings, she hummed. Drawing the land around her would be pretty, but she had done that plenty often in the woods with her ma. Out here, however, the main difference came down to the fact that she had unknown companions, and so that should serve as her inspiration.

With that decided, Lynn sat back down, and grabbed a couple of colors to start drawing the first person she spotted. Kisara had been the one to initiate doing anything with the dead wolf, Kiirion was a few paces away, standing an impressive stance even while not doing much because of his height, and even Broma, someone she hadn't really spoken with, seemed cheerful and sweet, even while trying to get some meat for the next meal.

Hmm. She closed her eyes, picked up a slim brush, then let her arm choose which color to begin with. After a few swipes against the paper, Lynn peered down to see an oval shape that could be shifted to form the wolf. Well, that was where she could begin. Besides, even if it turned out awful, she wasn't doing this to show others.

Her goal in life was to find a magic user that could make paper reusable, for Lynn had spent an obscene amount on varied drawing surfaces over the years. Nothing came close to the smartly pressed papers from her home. A week-long journey every two months was not an easy method, so she had to find alternatives.

The wolf was sketched with a dark, thin trim, then she layered gray streaks until it seemed complete. Complete enough to her, at least. She shrugged. Lynn tried to look at Kisara enough times to get a perspective on she would appear, but not enough times to make her seem creepy or as a threat.

Honestly, most everyone here could do more damage than she could, especially because she could really only rely on her skills to steal something or to distract someone from truly wanting to hurt her. Lynn could technically poison someone with her paints, but that was a bit too messy of a scheme.

She whistled to herself, glancing around the campsite, to spot Kisara one last time, trying to find what color purple matched her skin tone the closest. Lynn noticed she was standing a bit away from the rest of the group. Hmm. Maybe she could use a friend?

Taking a few more seconds to glance over her painting, Lynn put away her containers, and drew out four heavy rocks to keep the parchment stretched to dry further. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if it dried funny, but she thought it looked nice, so she hoped someone would notice the rocks and not just step all over it.

With that, Lynn walked towards Kisara, who had moved closer to the fire, but still a bit from the rest of the group.

"Hi," she said, waving a hand. "I don't think we officially met, but I'm Lynn."

Kisara's head tilted to the side as she heard my voice, though she didn't look at me.

"I might have painted you 'cause I thought you looked cool with the wolf and all, but I hope you don't mind that," Lynn continued with a small smile.

Again,there was no reply.

Hmm. Well, she had said her piece, and well, it was rather comfortable sitting over here, so if Kisara didn't have any protests, maybe she would let Lynn stay here for a few moments.

"I'm going to take your silence as an acceptance of me trying to capture your aura then."

"It's certainly nothing to kill over." Kisara finally replied in a low and thoughtful voice. "Do as you wish."

With that, Lynn brushed off dried flakes of paint from her fingers, trying not to outright stare at Kisara. She was just so cool.

"Thank you," she decided to say at last.

Sitting a bit away from the rest of the group was most likely deliberate, and now she felt a little bad from intruding onto her space, but Lynn would try to be polite. After starting a conversation, of course, but oh well.
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:10 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Chayel Tuvri
co-written with the lovely @soundofmind
68 Days B.N.D.

Chayel woke early the next morning, but didn't immediately move. Her entire body was stiff and sore. She cracked open an eye and looked around the camp. Most people were still sleeping where they'd been when she fell asleep the night before. She had conveniently chosen a spot off to the side of the camp to sleep -- close enough to call for help if another wolf appeared out of nowhere, but far enough to the side to have a chance of escape if her friends ended up being less friendly than they seemed.

She finally sat up as she felt Thessa stirring against her chest. She pulled the lizard out from her tunic and looked down at her tail, then frowned. She had thought the salve she put on the lizard's wound the night before would have helped it heal more than it seemed to have. Thessa's tail was a bit swollen now, the skin puffy and pink, with a thin layer of infected slime covering it.

Chay stood up and silently walked towards the creek she'd noticed a few hundred yards off to the left of the camp. She knelt when she got to the bank, sighing as she looked closer at the cut of the lizard squirming in her hand. "What am I gonna do with you, Thessa? That should've helped you..."

She dipped a few fingers in the water flowing past. The water was crisp and chilly. She carefully ran her damp fingers over the cut, trying to clean the wound. She dipped Thessa slightly into the water, holding her carefully as she struggled to get away.

"I know you don't like this," Chay murmured. "But I don't know how else to help you. We need to keep the infection from setting in if you don't want your tail to fall off. That'd just be embarrassing, now wouldn't it? A lizard with no tail. The other lizards would laugh."

Footsteps approached from behind. Light, but not like someone was trying to sneak up on her. When she looked back her head traveled up to the face of the tall elf, towering over her. He was looking down at her curiously, and calm.

"Is Thessa alright?" he asked, eyes travelling to the lizard.

She hesitated for a moment, considering standing up, then decided to continue working on the lizard's tail. "She hurt herself somehow. I don't know what happened, but I'm trying to help her."

Kiirion stepped forward and knelt beside her, looking at the little lizard in her hands.

"Can I see?" he asked, holding out his hand beside hers.

Chay hesitated a moment, then slowly nodded and handed Thessa to him. "Alright... but you have to be careful. Animals can feel pain too, so it's important that you're gentle with her, especially in this vulnerable state."

Kiirion nodded. "I'll be careful," he said softly, as he took Thessa in his hands. He held the lizard up towards his face a little, inspecting the cut. He hummed, and stroked Thessa's head gently before lightly placing two fingers over the wound. Thessa flinched a little, but then began to relax and stretch out. Kiirion closed his eyes for a moment and held the lizard in silence for a short time.

When he finally lifted his hand, the wound was gone.

Thessa started to wriggle around in his hand and darted up his arm, and Kiirion smiled, laughing.

Chay's eyebrows shot upwards in surprise. She quickly caught Thessa mid-way up Kiirion's arm, and then inspected her tail. It was perfectly mended, not so much as a scar left behind. "How'd you...?"

"I'm a healer," he said simply. Then he lifted his hand, palm-up, and wiggled his fingers with a smirk. "Magic."

Chay returned the smile, but then quickly turned her attention back on Thessa. "Well your magic helped more than my salves, so Thessa and I thank you."

Kiirion dipped his head. "You're very welcome--"

More footsteps approached from the direction of the campsite, and they could see Lynn approaching with Broma close behind.

"Oh! Good morning!" Lynn greeted them cheerily. Broma smiled beside her and waved.

"I see you two are early birds," Broma commented.

"Rurik's up and packing things up," Lynn started to explain. "We're just getting water, but we'll be heading out soon if you want to get back and help get the wagon and the horses ready!"

Chay and Kiirion exchanged a quick look, and Kiirion nodded, getting to his feet. "I'll give them a hand," he said, pausing to bow his head to both Lynn and Broma.

"Hello," Kiirion greeted, in what sounded like elvish. Lynn's eyes lit up, and she echoed it back to him with a big smile.

After the three of them all exchanged waves and smiles, Kiiroin glanced back at Chay as he started to head back to camp.

"You coming?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'll come!" Chay said, tucking Thessa back into her tunic as she walked with Kiirion back towards the camp.

They were packed and on the road in no time. Chay insisted on sitting near the back of the wagon. It was nice to not have to walk, but at the same time she was still tense and uncomfortable in the midst of so many strangers. She silently pet Thessa, thinking about the bizarre interaction with the elf man. He seemed nice.

Chay tried to keep everyone, especially men, at arm's length -- but there was something charming about him, and especially with the tenderness he had when he handled Thessa to ensure that he didn't hurt her. She liked people who preferred to help others more than to hurt. She passively listened to the loud members of the group, but more was caught up in her own mind, when suddenly the wagon jolted to a stop.

Chay's gut reaction was to look outside for danger -- but the path behind was just as barren as it'd been moments before. She turned her gaze towards the others in the wagon, and happened to catch Kiirion's eye. She raised an eyebrow in a silent question of what was going on.

Kiirion shrugged, and nodded to the back of the wagon, getting up to get out.

"ROAD BLOCK!" Broma's voice called from where she sat at the front of the wagon, guiding the horses. Chay sighed silently. A road block was better than enemies, she guessed. "Well, more like road tree. There's a tree!"

Chay climbed out of the wagon to make room for all of the others to exit as well. The path was getting narrow -- there was a sharp bank rising up on the side of the wagon Chay stood next to. She turned sideways and slipped along the edge of the wagon, but stopped short as the tree finally came into view.

It was an enormous hunk of wood stretched all the way across the road. Chay noticed the charred bark on one end. Lightning, maybe? Or a fire? Chay took a few steps closer. It definitely looked like it fell victim to lightning. It was a fresh enough tree that the leaves still clung to the branches -- but were turning brown and curling up in the hot sun.

Chay looked at the bank. The tree had been growing on the side of the bank, that much was clear from how destroyed the bank had become when the tree fell. The roots of the tree were half-in and half-out of the bank, and lots of dirt had fallen into the narrow road as well. The tree was nearly as thick as Chay was tall, and stretched all the way across the road, to where the bank suddenly dropped off sharply once again.

"Looks like we've got to move it somehow..." Rurik said, scratching his head as he jumped down from the wagon and looked at Chay. "Any ideas?"

Chay shrugged. "We didn't cover lightning in Ranger School."

Rurik cluched his tongue.

"Anyone got a big saw?" Broma asked, pushing her way through the narrow space between Chayel and Rurik to look at the downed tree.

Riltar appeared from around the other side of the wagon, holding up his sword with a gutteral grunt.

Broma and Rurik both laughed. Chay looked at him skeptically.

"Are you serious right now?" Kisara scoffed, rolling her eyes.

"I can fly over and see if there's another way around," Rous offered, looking at Rurik.

"How far back you think we'd have to backtrack to do that?" Rurik mused, looking around at the various members of the party, who were all murmuring in general discontent.

"We can't turn this wagon around," Chayel pointed out, gesturing at the narrow path. "It's been like this for miles."

There was slightly louder generally discontented murmuring, but no one argued with her point.

"Well, does anybody have magic?" Rurik asked.

Vorg stepped forward. "I do, but my magic isn't very helpful for... this."

"What if we all just... pushed it?" Lynn asked.

There was a moment of silence, all eyes snapping towards her.

"You can't be serious," Riltar scoffed.

"No, she's got a point... If we all were to push it, with the help of the horses, maybe, we could get it so it slides down the bank, out of the road," Rurik said, stroking his beard "It shouldn't be too heavy if we all give it our best push. Okay. Everybody out and start pushing towards the bank!"

Chay took a deep breath and grudgingly stepped forward. She gave Thessa a pat through her tunic, murmuring to her. "It's okay, we'll be back in the wagon soon."

Her attention wandered towards Lynn, who was fighting her way through the branches on the end closest to the drop off. She smiled slightly at the comical sight. Lynn was clearly well muscled but slender and it was pretty clear that she was used to being stealthy rather than using her brute force to move heavy trees.

"Here," Chay said, stepping forward. "How about you go down there where there's fewer branches? I don't mind getting scratched, I'm used to it from all the time I spend in the forest."

Lynn hesitated it. "I wouldn't want you to get hurt..."

"I won't," Chay assured her. "It's okay."

"Well... if you're sure..."

"I am."

Lynn smiled broadly. "You're so nice! Thank you!"

"Sure," Chay said, shrugging uncomfortably to dismiss the compliment. She stepped forward and slipped into the tangle of branches in front of them. She planted her feet firmly and waited for the rest of the party to find their places along the fallen tree. There was a large branch just in front of her chest. She grabbed it with both hands and strained to pull it straight towards the edge, as the rest of the group began pushing the base of the tree in an arc towards the edge of the road.

It was heavy labor. Her entire body was engaged in trying to pull the massive tree towards the bank, too focused in her own effort to really notice what others were doing. It took a while before they made much progress, but eventually her feet were close to the edge of the drop off. She disentangled herself from the branches and started to step away as the tree began to roll off the side of the drop off.

"EVERYONE STAND BACK!" Rurik bellowed as the tree began to slide down the edge of the drop off. The base rolled off first, taking the top of the tree after it. It swooshed past Chay's head. A flash of motion caught her eye, and she looked up just in time to see Thessa leaping off her shoulder towards the tree.

"WAIT!" Chay shouted as Thessa landed on the branch, already heading over the side of the bank. "THESSA NO!"

It was too late. Gravity was already taking the tree and it was well on its decent, rolling slightly as it went. Chay darted forward as Thessa ran up the branch. She was going to get crushed.

"Chay no!"

She couldn't tell who said it, but she didn't listen anyway. She slipped between the two nearest branches, towards the main trunk of the tree where Thessa was running. Chay planted her foot on the main trunk and reached up to grab Thessa. She caught her just in time, but her foot slipped on the damp bark, and she lost her footing.

The tree flipped once as it made it the rest of the way over the bank, one of the branches catching Chay square in the chest and knocking her flat on her back, all the wind knocked from her lungs. She felt herself sliding down the bank with the tree. The tree flipped again, this time taking her with it as the narrow end of the tree rolled over her.

She fought her way free of the branches, Thessa still cupped firmly in her hand. Finally she caught hold of a nearby rootwad and squirmed free of the knot of branches enveloping her. She gasped as she clung to the side of the hill with her left arm, the tree still rolling down the hill below her.

"Are you alright?!"

"Fine." Chay muttered, not bothering to look up towards where the others were surely gawking down at her. She shoved Thessa down her tunic and then put her other arm on the root wad, gritting her teeth as she pulled her way up towards the road.

Her entire abdomen felt like it was on fire, a stabbing pain shooting straight through her ribs as she strained her torso trying to pull herself the rest of the way up. Chay planted her foot on the loose dirt and scrambled the rest of the way up to the road. It took all the effort she had left not to collapse on the ground. Her entire body trembled slightly with the exertion, breathing labored and painful.

"Are you alright?" Lynn asked, kneeling next to her, eyes wide with concern.

"I'm fine," Chay said, swallowing hard.

"You don't look so fine..." Broma commented, looking down at her.

"I said I'm fine," Chay snarled, pushing herself to her feet. Her stomach flopped over onto itself, a sick feeling washing across her. Her side throbbed terribly. She could taste bile at the back of her throat. Anxiety began to make her heart beat even faster, the realization that all eyes were on her in her weakest moment. "I'm taking a walk."

She pushed her way past the others.

"Er, right, yeah, we'll take a minute," Rurik said. "How about we set up a fire and get some lunch, eh? I think we all earned it."

Chay ignored him, but locked eyes with Kiirion, who raised his brows in a questioning look.

"You," Chay said, grabbing the arm of his tunic and pulling him after her for a few steps. "I need you to make sure my lizard is okay."

Kiirion followed along. "Of course," he said. Chay kept a hold of his sleeve and dragged him after her, down the road, in the cover of a few trees.

Chay looked back towards the group to ensure that they were alone, out of sight and earshot of the others. As soon as she saw they were safely isolated she let loose of Kiirion's sleeve and stumbled forward, instantly sinking to the ground.

"Oh my sweet potato candied jerky," she growled, clutching her side. "It feels like I got swallowed by an entire dragon for the fire that is set in my ribs!"

Kiirion knelt down beside her, setting a hand gently on her shoulder. "Well, you did get hit by a giant tree, and fall off a small cliff." His eyes dropped to her ribs. "Do you mind?" he asked, hovering his hand over her ribcage.

"Just fix me," she whimpered.

He nodded, and laid his hands on her side. He took a deep breath. "This might drain you a little bit," he said quietly.

Chay then felt a spreading warmth in her ribs, like an energy rushing in, intertwined. The pain started to dissipate, and the burning faded to a mild ache. Like a small bruise, instead of shattered ribs. Kiirion kept his eyes closed, breathing steadily as he repaired the wound with his magic.

When he pulled his hands away, it was, at most, like she'd slept on the wrong side. The pain was gone. But Kiirion had been right in his warning - the healing came with a wave of weariness. Chay took several deep breaths, reveling in how much easier it was to draw a breath than it had been mere moments before.

"You're incredible," she said breathlessly, leaning her head against the bank behind her.

Kiirion sighed and slouched forward, looking a little drained himself. But he mustered a warm smile. "You didn't get hurt anywhere else, did you?"

"Just a bit of a bruised pride." Chay smiled, rubbing her face. She pulled Thessa out of her tunic and looked down at her small friend. She was bright eyed and perfectly happy, licking her lips as she peered up at them. "Freaking lizard."

Kiirion chuckled.

Chay pushed herself to her feet, and let Thessa run back into her hood. She swayed slightly, looking at Kiirion as he stood up and rubbed his face tiredly. She hesitated a moment, then stepped forward quickly and wrapped him in a hug. "Thank you."

Kiirion retured the hug, and patted her on the back. Chay stepped away quickly, flushing slightly, as she wondered what ever possessed her to do that.

"You're welcome, Chay."

Chay looked back towards the direction they had come. "So do we have to, you know... mention... really, any of this? To any of them?"

Kiiroin laughed again. "I thought we were out here to make sure Thessa was okay," he said with a knowing look. "As far as they know, you were fine. And still are."

"Right, yeah, of course," Chay said, rubbing the back of her neck. "Just checking up on Thessa... freakin' lizard."

In the winter months, gale storms in Svalbard can reach wind speeds of 130 km/h. Accompanied by or following snowfall, such storms can reduce visibility dramatically, more so in the winter months of the polar night. During these storms, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian