z

Young Writers Society

Bo Wu

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:57 pm
sheysse says...

The legends say that centuries ago, the five schools of martial arts were known across the lands of Da Shijie by every man and woman. The school of the tiger, Hu Qiang Da, practiced a style of martial combat reliant on strength, and taught its apprentices to face their opponents head on. The school of the crane, Qi Zhongji Fei, practiced graceful movements, and taught its students to wield a staff like an extension of their bodies. The school of the leopard, Bao Kuai Gongji, practiced agile combat, and taught its students to outsmart their opponents, even when they did not have the upper hand. The school of the snake, She Liu Ti, practiced fluidity in all motions, and taught their students to sneak into their adversary’s weaknesses. The school of the dragon, Long Fu Hao, practiced a mysterious style of powerful combat, teaching their students to manipulate the qi in their bodies and use it against opponents.

Feuds between the schools were common, as each of the five founders were proud of what they had created. But as the conflicts grew in size, Bo Wu, the dragon of the mist inhabiting Da Shijie, became corrupted by these negative interactions. He turned wild and hostile, and the land fell into darkness as their deity abandoned them. Realizing what they had done, the five founders set aside their differences and banded together to bring back the benevolent dragon who had once ruled the land.

After a long fight, they slayed the evil within Bo Wu, and he reverted back to the wise god he had been. The world once again was filled with light. Thankful for being saved, and unaware that his saviors had also caused what he had been saved from, he offered to grant them one wish each. Ashamed of the mistakes they had made, and fearful that they may bring about such destruction again, the founders decided it was best to leave Da Shijie. They wished to become the animals they had always respected, and had created their style of martial arts based upon. In their new forms, they crossed the impassable mountain range to the east, venturing to the neighboring land of Weilai. On the other side, they found a pond so clean one wouldn’t know a reflection was a reflection, and chose to settle down around it. It is said they remain there to this day.

In Da Shijie, without their founders, the schools began to fade from society. After several generations, only a few dozen students remained in each, their status marked by the tattoo on their left arm. But now, a new darkness has risen. A dragon from the northern lands, Yin Ying, comes with the intention of slaying Bo Wu and claiming Da Shijie as his domain. Bo Wu, still recovering from his centuries-old wounds, remains helpless. And so, each school has elected to send one of their students to Weilai, with hopes of bringing the founders back and having them slay Yin Ying. And that is where you come in.

Claim your characters

Hu Qiang Da Student - Claimed by @Chaser.

Qi Zhongji Fei Student – Claimed by @Sheyren.

Bao Kuai Gongji Student - Claimed by @Tortwag.

She Liu Ti Student - Claimed by @HazelGrace16.

Long Fu Hao Student - Claimed by @Lael.

Rules and Character Templates

1.) General Storybooking rules apply. Don’t kill characters without permission, no explicit content, etc. etc.

2.) Keep up the Chinese theme with your character’s name.

3.) Ensure that your character’s combat style matches his/her school. If a style doesn’t mention weaponry, then your character won’t wield a weapon.

4.) Consider your character's school, and decide on a personality accordingly.

5.) I know very little of Chinese culture, and this is a fictional world with Chinese influence. Thus, I don’t expect you to know any more than I do. You are welcome to join, regardless of your level of knowledge.

Code: Select all
[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Character Age:[/b] (20+)
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Romantic Stance:[/b]
[b]School of Martial Arts:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Strengths:[/b]
[b]Weaknesses:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:08 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

Fei Hung

Across the sandy-floored hollow stood Jianguo Zhang, long time sparring partner to Fei Hung. She bowed to him as he did the same, before at last the master monitoring their practice announced for the duel to commence. Lifting the bang from the ribbon around her waist, Hung made the first move and took several hasty steps towards him, causing Zhang to anticipate a ranged attack and close the gap accordingly.

Stopping abruptly, Hung slammed her bang into the ground in front of her and gracefully pulled up the side of it, landing delicately on the top. There she balanced, with one foot atop the pole and her arms spread wide. As Zhang was now close, she shifted her weight so that the pole leaned towards him, and when near enough she kicked his head. Not only did the kick send him staggering backwards, but the force simultaneously pushed her staff back into an upright position.

Without a moment’s hesitation, she leapt from her staff, grabbing it as it fell to the ground. By now, Zhang was rising to his feet, and he had his own staff in hand. She sent a firm swing of the staff his way, one which he blocked as anticipated. He pushed her staff back, leaving her open for an attack to the gut. Unfortunately for him, she expected this too, and dropped her staff to spin out of the way of Zhang’s staff. It barely grazed her stomach.

As the staff fell to the ground, she slid her foot under it to catch it and kicked upward to launch it into her hand. Lunging backwards, Hung opened some space for her to build up running momentum. She charged at Zhang, using her staff to vault into the air, and she left the staff behind as she almost floated up. Using the force of gravity to aid her, she sent a kick spiraling down towards her opponent, to which nothing he could do would succeed in blocking it. At the last second, she angled her body to land next to Zhang, and swung her arm up beside his neck.

“The spar is complete,” their master stated simply, and both combatants relaxed.

“Thank you,” Fei Hung said with a bow, and Jianguo Zhang returned the gesture.

“I guess I never will be able to best you,” Zhang said with a lighthearted grin, something he did after every loss. “You always were better than me.”

Hung was immediately thrown back into the events of the previous day. “You called for me, Master Chung?” Fei Hung asked, bowing low to the ground. Before her was a pond with more surface covered by aquatic plantation than there wasn’t. Hollow rods of bamboo were sticking out from the pond, and on the rod in the center of the pond was the elderly sage who had headed the Qi Zhongji Fei for many years, balancing on one toe.

“I did, yes,” he said in a quiet, tired voice. His eyes remained in the water, never turning around to look at his guest. “Sometimes direct honesty is the most graceful trait, so let me be direct with you. Surely by now you are aware of Yin Ying’s presence in our lands, and his slow but constant approach to Bo Wu’s home in the south?”

Hung nodded. “Then you probably are also aware that I recently met with the other school masters, and we formulated a plan to prevent this. Before Yin Ying arrives in eleven days, we will have a selected student from each school work together to head west and bring home the founders of the schools.” He paused. “You. You are my first choice for this journey. Should you accept, you will be departing tomorrow eveni-”

“I’m sorry, master, but I cannot accept,” Fei Hung interrupted. “I am far too young, unskilled, and inexperienced to bring about the desired results. I would simply ruin the plan, and bring shame upon the Qi Zhongji Fei name.”

“There is a very popular misconception that humility is graceful.” Yet another long pause. “Few things are as graceful as a warrior who is proud of her accomplishments. You are young, but you are not unskilled, and your versatility will prove to be a needed trait on the difficult journey before you.”

Fei Hung said nothing, unsure of what she should or even could say. “I am old, very old. My leadership of this school has been long and hard, and it is no secret that I am ill. I will probably not live to see the end of this battle, and I could not die happier than if I knew you were the hope entrusted to the land by my school.”

Was that a tear that just landed in the pond? Fei Hung took a deep breath, the weight of the next words she spoke pushing down on her from all sides. At last, she came to a decision, a decision she couldn’t have imagined herself making a month, or even a week ago. “Very well. I shall accept this journey in the name of Master Chung, and in the name of the Qi Zhongji Fei school.”

“I am going to miss you, my companion.” Fei Hung extended an arm, expecting a handshake. “If I do not come home, then-”

“You’ll come home. I’m sure of it.” He wrapped his hand in hers, and the two shook firmly. “I do hope you’ll come home sooner rather than later, so I can show you what I will have learned.”

Hung smiled. “Very well. I will be home as soon as I can. Now, I must be off. The Central Tree, the meeting place of each school’s member, is a long distance. I must leave now if I mean to arrive on time.” She turned her back to Zhang and didn’t look over her shoulder at him. She couldn’t, not if she wanted to ensure he didn’t see her crying. Determined, she set off on the greatest journey undertaken in centuries.

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:38 pm
View Likes
Chaser says...

Xiahou Bu

In the land of plenty, the beast lies dead. For the beast hunts to survive, and will overfeed itself in fear of death. Its claws steep with torn flesh, and the blood of others overflows from its drowned throat.

This proverb ran through the mind of Master Deng as an overwhelming force erupted from his student’s arms. Qi flowed through the veins, building up a blistering charge in the air around him. Xiahou Bu, the man said to be the strongest in the land, stood upon the circle and roared, “Yield!”

His opponent, who had just joined the Hu Qiang Da school that day, was happy to oblige. The rest of the students continued sparring in their own circles, but a display like that was hard to ignore.

But Bu, true to form, had already forgotten it. The qi dissipated from his body, he was already halfway to the gate, leaving the training yard with no one keen to stop him.

Master Deng rubbed his face and sighed, longing for a beard to stroke wisely. Xiahou Bu, at first glance, had no concept of holding back.

The Hu Qiang Da school sat high on the mountain, functioning as much as a monastery as a martial arts school, though the monastery saw less and less use these days. The gardens and temples that had once defined their art were now the run-down stomping grounds of Bu. Master Deng followed the sound of cascading stones to the rock garden.

Entering the gate provided a backview of Bu, tearing up the earth as though the whole world was his foe. He had taken one of the rakes, slashing it against the earth without tiring. Each lash sent a ripple of stones flying, obliterating the calm with every swipe. Yet within the rampant destruction, there was relaxation.

Master Deng sighed, then grabbed the other rake. Raising it high above his head, he brought it down towards Bu’s neck.

It was stopped by the haft of Bu’s rake. Bu glared over his shoulder, then realized who it was; quickly, he spun around and bowed. “Master.”

He was bowing long enough for Deng to slash again at his neck.

Bu caught the blow on his arm, looking up in confusion. Master Deng sucked in a breath, then shouted, “Fight me!”

Bu’s rake swung down and upwards, launching a mist of pebbles at Deng. Having anticipated them, Deng ducked low, then spun, the pole of his rake narrowly missing Bu’s neck as it stabbed out.

Bu grabbed the handle of the rake; Deng launched up and elbowed Bu in the neck. A move like that could kill a man, which was precisely why Deng had used it. And sure enough, he was met with Bu’s arm wrapping around him without hesitation. Deng braced himself for the inevitable outcome of fighting Bu seriously.

Bu turned and, with a strength all his own, launched Deng into the stone wall. Deng lessened the impact with his arm, but this too, was an intentionally lethal move. His arm elbow smarted as he got up, dusted the rocks from his robes, and returned to Bu.

“It hardly seems fair,” Deng remarked, “for you to be able to survive that. And doing so intentionally just to gain an edge?”

“A battle should end as quickly as possible,” Bu stated. “Only one punch needs to be thrown.”

“Maybe so,” Deng admitted, “but you shouldn’t be so eager to kill that you get yourself killed in the process.”

“I doubt that I will,” Bu replied, without a shred of arrogance. Deng studied his face for a long time before turning away.

“Follow me,” he said, crouching down, then clearing the garden wall in a single leap. It satisfied him somewhat that Bu, being less nimble, had to pole-vault off of his rake.

They came to the top of the hill, where beneath them, a troupe of children were being instructed by one of the elders. The eccentric hair and beard of Sima Tzu were whipping about in the late morning wind. His enthusiastic techniques were mirrored in the movements of the children. Though perfect in form, they lacked the force of the older students. Eventually, Sima winced, holding his back, and grinned at the students who continued the form.

“It was quite a shock to me when Master Sima stepped down,” Deng said. “By all admissions, it seemed too soon. And handing leadership to me seemed an even more audacious move.”

“His injuries prevented him from defending the school,” Bu said matter-of-factly. “It was the right decision.”

Deng nodded. “I’d like to believe, for that reason, that each of us has a role assigned. Xiahou, what I want to know is what you believe yours to be.”

Bu looked troubled for a moment, then spoke. “He who has strength should wield it to defend those who have none.”

“Cao Zhang.” Deng recognized the quote. “Is that your answer, then?”

Bu nodded. It didn’t seem as though he wanted to find his own words for it.

“You should know that answer doesn’t please me,” Deng said, “but it serves our present issue perfectly. I’ll be brief; the dragon Yin Yang draws closer to our home with each passing day. The Hu Qiang Da is being asked to send its strongest student to suppress this threat. “

Bu raised an eyebrow. “Forgive me, but this seems like a graver matter than mere students could attend. Surely a master with strength such as yourself could perform better?”

“I suppose that is the difference between you and me, Xiahou. The people need my presence here.”

Bu’s eyes glazed over with that faraway look, as though something were stirred up inside him. Deng had come to fear that hollow shine.

He folded his arms behind his back, pacing in front of Bu. “They need you, but only your strength. But, that is how you want to be needed, isn’t it?”

Bu snapped out of his trance, lost for words. Deng frowned.

“You are earnest beyond arrogance, Bu; you see no value in strength except its application. Because of that, I fear for you. That you would not be able to live in the world of peace you seek to create. Or that you would stop seeking that peace altogether.”

He broke off, trembling, and looked away hurriedly. “My apologies. In any case, you will be leaving tomorrow to meet up with students of the other schools. Yin Yang must be stopped; you will be the one to do it.”

“Your student will go forth,” Bu rumbled, “and defend Da Shijie to the death.”

Master Deng shuddered. “You’ll scare the other students if you talk that way. Can’t you sound more heroic?”

“Heroic.” Of course, the word was probably foreign to Bu. The beast’s proverb stirred in Master Deng’s mind again as he turned away, while Bu gathered himself and belted out.

“I am Xiahou Bu!” The words rang down the mountain in a grand opera tone. Everyone, from the children to Master Sima, looked up at Bu, who glanced around and turned red.

For the first time in a long while, Master Deng laughed. “It’s a good effort, Xiahou,” he said. “But keep trying.”
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:41 pm
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Sun Yi

Sun Yi had been tired most of that day. As the evening sun shimmered across the surrounding lake, Sun Yi found herself hardly being able to keep her eyes open. The only thing keeping her awake was the dull yet familiar ache running through her legs and core. She was surrounded by her fellow students who were all in similar forms of the neutral mabu pose. The exercise was all too familiar to Sun Yi. It was an old test that was intended to teach self-reflection, meditation, obedience, and focus all while pushing your body to its limit. It was a test to determine not only your physical strength but also your mental strength as well. Usually, Sun Yi excelled but the silence and ambience around her pushed the real world from her mind even more so than the dancing lights on the water.
As the end of the hour drew near, Sun Yi felt a sudden force pull her feet out from under her. As the initial daze ceased, Sun Yi looked up into the eyes of one of her superiors Master Song.

“Be aware of your surroundings at all times! One must not lose themselves completely to mediation but must always have a shred of their mind set on the present. Too many thoughts of dreams and of the past and future distract from the now.”

“My apologies Master Song.” Sun Yi quickly stood and bowed to the old master.

“You will not learn if you do not commit. Return to your pose.” She quickly does as he said and resumed her position. “30 more minutes!” Annoyed with the sudden time increase Sun Yi opened her mouth to protest, but in response Master Song quickly swatted her leg with his cane. She winced as her fellow classmates around her shared a chuckle.

“As for the rest of you students...” A cheeky smirked sprawled across the old man’s face. “Time for dinner!” The students joyously released from their poses and scurried off towards the dining hall where the wafting smells of meat and steamed vegetables beckoned to them. Sun Yi’s stomach growled, but she did not move except to stick her tongue out after the chuckling Master Song.

The next thirty minutes passed, and Sun Yi rushed to her meal. However, as she approached the hall a strange and uneasy silence hit her. Footsteps resounded behind her and she turned as Master Song approached her. She’d seen that expression from him a few times before in her life, and now she was no longer hungry.

“Master Song.” She bowed.

“It is time Sun Yi.” Master Song explained. “He will meet with you now.” She bowed once more and stepped away in the direction of Head Master Zhen’s quarters without another word. As she walked she turned back and feared this may be the last time she’d see the old chuckling bastard. However, there was never a good time for goodbyes here.

When Sun Yi finally arrived, she timidly approached the door feeling a sense of uneasiness she had not felt since she was a child.

“Enter now child.” She sighed and complied to the demand pulling the door open. She bowed and took in the sight. In front of her Master Zheng sat in front of an empty Go board. She took her place in front of him and spoke quietly.

“You’ve only summoned me to play Go four times in my life Master Zheng. Three of those four time were to announce significant changes in my life.” Her voice faltered a moment. “Is it my father?”

“No, it is not.” He looked up to her with an unreadable expression. “Do you remember how to play Go my child?”

“Yes Master…The game is made up of the placing of black and white stones, and the goal is to ultimately capture the other opponents’ pieces until they are rendered incapable of making another move. It’s a game of strategy and war.”

“That is true, but it is also a game of mindfulness of one’s own self.” He places the first black stone. “One must expand the territory of their own stones and attack the opponent’s weak groups, all the while being aware of the life-status of one’s own group. Now, you may place your first stone on any point on the board, but if I surround that stone I may remove it.”

“Yes, but Master- “

“Let’s see if your skills have improved.” He interrupted. “You’ve yet to beat me these many times we’ve played. I wish you the best of luck.” She nodded silently and placed her first piece.

------

Many hours passed, and finally the game was coming to its agonizing end.

“You’ve done well.” Master Zheng announced breaking the silence. He was right as Sun Yi currently had the upper hand. “I assume you wish to know the meaning behind your summoning, but I also suppose a part of you already knows.”

“Many of us have been hearing the rumors lately Master. We know what’s coming.” Uncomfortably she shifted in her seat as she placed another piece on the board.

“Then you must also know that you will be leaving soon.” He placed another piece surrounding one of her groups taking a handful of pieces. However, Sun Yi hardly noticed as she was focused on her master’s words.

“But why me Master?” She asked. “Surely one of the more experienced students or masters would be a better choice than myself.”

“Are you saying that you are not qualified to perform this mission? Are you saying that I am choosing wrong?”

“No master. However, I am flawed and immature and I am simply fearful that I will let you down.” She looked down shamefully at her fists clenching the fabric on her pants.

“That is precisely why I am choosing you young Sun Yi.” Her eyes shot up once again to her stoic master. “You came to us when you were a very young girl, and despite the trials and tribulations we have put you through you still remain strong in your ways of kindness, passion, and work-ethic. You have adapted, and over time you have become one of our most powerful warriors. There is no one I’d trust more with this mission Sun Yi.” He assured her.

“Yes master.” She bowed once more as Master Zheng began to chuckle.

“It appears I do not have any more moves to make. Your game my child.” He gestured a hand over the board offering the next and final move to Sun Yi. She placed her last piece and collected the final pieces. “You’ve won. Now it’s time you get packing. You’ve got a long journey ahead of you.” She nodded in agreement.
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:32 pm
Lael says...

Lin Chun Yu

Chun Yu poked her head out of the window, impatiently anticipating the Long Fu Hao school looming closer and closer in view. After such a long journey cooped up in a carriage, which her father had insisted upon, the air felt rather stifling. It had been yet another summons back to the capital city from her father and her uncle, the emperor. Yet another report about what was going on at Long Fu Hao, how her training was faring, if the masters and students maintained a righteous conduct.

She had wanted to tell them that an observer could always be sent to the school, that she had been disrupted from her training by her return home, and that it was incredulous to be questioning the righteousness of Long Fu Hao's conduct. But as always, respect won. She couldn't say for His Majesty, but she knew her father was only concerned for her. After all, it was very unconventional for a princess of any rank to be sent to train at one of the five great martial arts schools. And she missed her parents anyways.

At last, she could see the familiar gates nearing. She had had enough of studying the inside of the carriage. Although she wanted to jump out while the vehicle was still moving, that would be very . . . rash. Indecorous.

"Patience," she muttered to herself.

When she finally exited the carriage in front of the school, she was gratified to see that no one was waiting there for her. Perhaps she could settle back in without anyone initially noticing.

The courtyard was oddly quiet, though. Her friends and fellow disciples would usually be cleaning, bickering, fooling around, or training and sparring, but none were to be found. There were no signs of the masters, either. Chun Yu raised her guard, feeling around herself with her qi. There really was no one, except--

There was someone behind her. She whirled around, falling into a battle stance, but relaxed when she saw the man peacefully standing there. She let out a breath of relief.

"Master." She bowed. "I have returned."

Long Fu Hao's Headmaster Liu nodded. "Sixteenth." One thing that Chun Yu found refreshing was that she was treated like anyone else, without disdain or excess fawning, and usually only known as Sixteenth Disciple out of the twenty-six students.

Chun Yu couldn't help but think that she had never really seen him smile before, as gracious as he was.

"Master," she began, glancing around again, "where is everyone? Did--did something happen here?"

Master Liu's mouth twitched. "They are out doing a special training exercise," he replied. "I stayed behind because I wanted to speak with you immediately upon your return."

"M-me?" blurted Chun Yu, then ducked her head in embarrassment. "If this is about my family--"

The master shook his head. "Come. Let us talk inside." He walked past her.

". . . And so, I believe that you are the proper student to represent Long Fu Hao in this mission." Master Liu looked at Chun Yu across the table, unblinking.

"I understand. Only, I'm afraid that the emperor will be displeased with the school because of this."

"There is only so much time until Yin Ying arrives. If His Majesty wishes to punish someone, I will take the responsibility after the dragon is defeated. Besides, wouldn't it bring glory to the Lin family when you five save Da Shijie?"

Chun Yu noticed that he did not speak of the outcome if she and the other four students did not succeed in their goal. She supposed there would be no future for anyone if they failed.

"You may go," said the headmaster. "You have a long journey ahead."

"Yes, Master. Farewell."

After she exited the students' housing with holding her packed traveling bag, Chun Yu noticed a stream of people entering the school's gates. The others had come back from their training.

One of the weary students glanced in her direction and his eyes brightened. "Sixteenth!" he exclaimed, and, his exhaustion forgotten, rushed towards her.

Chun Yu mustered up a smile and called, "Twelfth!" She headed forward to meet him, her steps leaden. Twelfth Disciple, Wei An Qiu, had been her best friend ever since she had entered Long Fu Hao. The thought hit her: would she ever see him again?

"You're back!" he said, but his grin faded when he studied her face. "Is something wrong? You look upset."

"I have to leave again," she replied, looking down, blinking rapidly to dispel the tears that had suddenly pricked at her eyes.

His eyes fell on her bag. "So soon? It's really serious this time, isn't it?"

"Master Liu has asked me to represent Long Fu Hao to find the founders of the five schools. I have to go very soon to reach the Central Tree."

Twelfth wrapped his arms around her tightly, uncaring of anyone's eyes on them or of propriety. "I know you'll succeed," he whispered in her ear. "Hurry and come back, okay?"

Chun Yu nodded, not trusting herself to speak without crying.

Her friend pulled back and said, "I'll send you off from here. It's best that you go now. It would be very shameful for the student of Long Fu Hao to be the latest to the Central Tree." His joke felt halfhearted, but Chun Yu still smiled.

"You're right," she answered, and walked out of the gates of her school once again. She didn't look back, and she soon realized that neither of them had said goodbye.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

When she transformed into a butterfly, the caterpillars spoke not of her beauty, but of her weirdness. They wanted her to change back into what she always had been. But she had wings.
— Dean Jackson