z

Young Writers Society

Academy of Magic

Reviews: 0
Tue May 29, 2018 12:39 pm
TheForgottenKing says...

Cadmus Bran

Cadmus glanced down at his watch as he took in the view of of the sea atop the cliffs at Pembrokeshire. He breathed in the salty air as his eyes took in the view, the wind rushing through his hair. He glanced back at his older brother, Steven, who nodded at him and grinned.” Lets do it.”
He watched as Steven stripped to his boxers and pulled his wand out of its sleeve. Steven whooped and took a running dive off the cliff. Grinning, Cadmus followed suit, mentally casting the spell that would prevent him from hitting the water like a load of bricks. His body cut through the water gracefully as he dived in. For anyone without the proper spell, they probably would’ve died on impact.

Soon he was on the shore with Steven, changing back into his clothes.”Do mum and da know we took this detour?” He asked. Steven nodded.”Oh aye. This is a Bran family tradition. The first day of your last year of school. Everyone has done it, all the way back to Merlin.” He tapped the side of his nose and winked. Cadmus chuckled as he finished dressing, his hair still wet. According to the Bran’s, everything had once been done by Merlin.

Steven grabbed his arm.” Ready brother?” Cadmus picked up his suitcase and nodded. Steven smiled than waved his wand and muttered the incantation. A blink and some passing vertigo and than his feet were on solid ground. New smells and sounds assaulted him, different to the quiet of the Welsh coast. Steven had changed too, into a uniform consistent of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. Earth’s magical police. He turned to his brother.”Well, this is where we part ways. I’ve got a lot of work to catch up to in the States. Catch you soon.” With a wave of his wand, Steven was gone. Grumbling to himself, Cadmus picked up his suitcase and made his way into the school, stopping by the office to get his school info, seeing as he was a returning student. He took his paper and glanced at the line of people waiting to register. His eyes swept over the line, before glancing at his paper, quickly digesting the information. Level 7, Room 83. Thank goodness for magical stairs.

He opened the door to his room, and stepped inside. So far, no roommate, but that could change. He sat his suitcase on the bed, than reached in, pulling out 3 suitcases of the same size, before setting them on the bed. Magic simply made things easier, including transporting things. He sat them on his bed before standing in front of his mirror. He cleared his throat politely.

“Oh my. I have a Bran in my room? I must’ve done something right!” A buxom red haired woman in early 16th century dress appeared. She waved giddily. Cadmus smiled at her thick Scottish accent.”I’m Matilda, at your service!” She said. Cadmus bowed neatly.”Pleasure to meet you Matilda. My name is Cadmus. I was hoping you could change my room to what I had last year?”

Matilda snapped her fingers, and Cadmus turned around and took in the new scenery.”Yes this will do just fine.” He turned and bowed again.” Many thanks Matilda!” He said, as he put on a new shirt, causing Matilda to nearly squawk as she disappeared. He put his wand in the sleeve attached to his arm, and made his way to the great hall, where the headmistress would be giving her speech to the first years. He took his seat amongst familiar faces as he leaned back and smiled. He was back.
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed May 30, 2018 5:51 pm
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Marissa Anne Lotale

From the moment she stepped into the gates of the courtyard, Mari had been stuck in this wave of awe and silence. Around her the world seemed to go by like a moving picture and she wasn’t quite sure how to step in. Her whole life she had never seen anything quite like this, and the splendid castle before her simply put the narrow streets and and fishing boats of home to shame. It was different, and she loved it.

As she climbed the stairs to her assigned room she made an effort to take notice of the different views supplied by each of the grandeur windows. So far, her favorite was the eighth window up the continuous spiral. It had a perfect view of the shining waterway next to the castle grounds, and the sunlight was angled so that it would not be in her eyes. However, due to the few people who had run into her while she was watching, it was clear to her that her new favorite view would have to wait for the less crowded moments of the day.

When she made it to her room she set her things down gently on her bed and looked around slowly at the bare walls in front of her. She breathed out a deep sigh as she paced across the wooden flooring.

“Hello dearie!” A singing voice echoed from inside the room. Startled, Mari turned quickly towards the mirror placing a hand on her chest. When she realized the culprit, a small smile played across her lips.

“Jeez, you startled me. I completely forgot about the mirrors.” Mari admitted, as the two shared a small chuckle. The woman in front of her appeared to be in her late 50’s, with elegant lavender hair and deep brown eyes. She was wearing a deep eggplant colored dress unlike any Mari had seen before.There was a comfort to her that mimicked that of a warm grandmother.

“Oh, dearie you’d be surprised how many reactions like that I’ve gotten through all my years.” The woman’s face contorted as if remembering a tragic yet funny moment. “Some...even worse.” The two shared a laugh once again, as Mari sat down in a chair placed in front of the beautiful mirror.

“Allow me to introduce myself. I’m Kira, and I will be your ‘room guardian’ as I like to call it.” She smiled pleased with herself. “I will be responsible for keeping up with your needs, and providing place that feels like home. I will have you know that I can come up with some of the most beautiful bedspreads you have ever seen…” She stopped as Mari blinked at her shyly.

“Oh where are my manners? I suppose I was just so excited I started to ramble on. And your name my dear?”

“Hello Kira. My name is Marissa, but you can call me Mari.”

“Mari! What a beautiful name for a beautiful girl. Well, I think it’s about time we make this room all nice a tidy for you don’t you think?” Mari nodded with a smile. “So are you more of a pink and fluffy kind of girl, or perhaps dark and dreary is more your style..wait wait wait how about a edgy urban apartment style.” Around her, Mari watched at the room manipulated and formed into the descriptions Kira had decided for her. She couldn’t help but laugh at the ridiculousness of some of her choices.

“Ha! There is the smile I wanted.” Kira’s voice bellowed from the floorboards. “I thought you were going to pass out from how hard you were trying dearie.” Mari looked down slightly embarrassed.

“I suppose I’m just a little new to all this, and it’s very strange starting school here so late into my teen years.” Mari admitted.

“Meeting new people is never easy, but I want to make this as easy and homelike for you as possible.” Suddenly, Mari was surrounded by a room very similar to that of her own in Greece. It was simple and comfortable. Nothing flashy at all. The walls were a pale blue and room was filled with furniture and decorations that seemed to accentuate the sunlight streaming in the window. And Kira was right, she did create the most stunning bedspreads. Mira turned to the fluffy cloud of blankets and pillows piled onto her bed and smiled.

“Thank you.” Was all she could’ve said through her genuine smile.

-------------------------------

Later after making her way towards the great hall, Mari realized that she had no one to sit with. Around her, new groups were being formed and destroyed all within a matter of seconds. She warily walked up to a table, but most of the seats were full. She eyed a small seat next to a girl with scales covering her skin and horns adorning her hair. In front of the girl sat a fairly beautiful girl with fiery red hair that dressed more accordingly for a ball then a welcoming dinner. The scaled student’s eyes traveled warily from the red-head down to her plate several times. She appeared very uncomfortable, until Mari called out.

“I’m sorry, but is there enough room to sit there?” The horned girl sat straight up and answered quickly.

“Oh of course. Please sit.” Mari gave her kindest smile and slowly sat down, as she placed out a hand for the girl to shake.

“My name is Mari. What’s yours?”

“Oh, uh. My name is Kassia.” She slightly smiled.

“It’s very nice to meet you Kassia. Thank you for letting me sit here.” At first Karissa didn’t answer as her eyes continued traveling to who was in front of her. “Have you tried any of the food yet? I really hope it’s good.” All a sudden Kassia looked back to me, and her tenseness seemed to dwindle. Kassia smiled shyly, and began talking about the foods around them. Mari ignored the fierce gaze she was now receiving from the girl in front of them, but paid little to no attention as the feast continued around them.

--------------------------

The fire incident was a spectacle to say the least, and the whole rest of the feast had people talking about it. Mari continued to talk to Kassia, even after the girl with red hair had moved on to most likely patronize someone else. Kassia had informed Mari that the girl’s name was Edrea, and she wasn’t great at first impressions.

“I suppose this school is going to be full of that.” I said taking another bite of chicken.

“What do you mean?” Kassia asked at my side.

“People and ideas you dont normally see. It’s one thing to go to a school with new people, but it’s something else entirely when it’s a whole new type of people.” Mari explained looking down the tables at the fellow students around her. For a moment, she thought she had caught the eye of someone, but ignored the moment before turning back to Kassia.

“Ain’t that the truth.” She huffed.

“I feel kind of bad for that one kid though.” Mari admitted. Kassia looked at her.

“I’m just glad he didn’t die the first day. Talk about a bad way to start the year.” They shared a laugh as Mari glanced over to the scorched boy. There was a naive sadness to him, and Mari could sense it. He was out of place, just like her. Just like a lot of them.

Perhaps fire and water weren’t so different at the end of the day.
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

9 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 9
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:28 pm
kat13254 says...

Ella

After Rosalie left I returned to my room, thankful for my self healing powers, and I settled down onto my bed, jumping up shocked when I hear a voice.
"Oh my oh my, I'm late for introductions. Hello! I am Esmeralda!"
The voice seems to come from no where. My heart beat slows when I see a friendly looking face in the mirror.
"Hello, sorry, you gave me quite a shock. I'm Elizabeth, but please, call me Ella."
"No worries deary, where has Rosalie gone? She is your roommate correct?" Even though she has no papers, she seems like she could be a librarian, who's so clumsy she's spilling papers everywhere. Her brown hair is up in a tidy braid around her head. Her round glasses even further pushing the idea I have in my head. I let out a small laugh,
"Yeah she left not too long ago."
"Good good, well, for now, do you have anything you wish to be done with the room?"
I ponder for a few minutes, not wanting to make her wait,
"Would you be able to make the room look like a sky?" A slight flush rises to my cheeks at how silly my request sounds, but she does it, stunningly might I add. The room feels like it has a new fresh breeze to it, and it feels comfortable. I look at the new gentle blue clock on the wall and realize the time. Realizing I'm almost late to the orientation, I run down the stairs. Rushing into the hall, I'm out of breath. Panting, I look around. Before I even see her I feel Rosalies presence. I do my best to be as far away from her as possible.
I see an open seat near a blonde haired girl with a few... Piercings? I think they're called. I had never seen them before, but I had heard of them in a few books.
I sit down silently, careful not to draw attention to myself, and mumble out a cautious hello.
"Hi, what's your name?" I was shocked when I hear her speak to me without any anger in her voice.
"Ella, what about you?"
Before she can answer there's an uproar across the hall from me. I see a young boy, fire burning around him. My instincts want me to jump up to help him, but I control myself. My eyes are intent on the boy, my focus only being taken by a red haired girl sitting beside me.
"Oh hello!" I say kindly.
"Hi." She has a bit of a sneer in her voice, I'm not looking forward to this conversation. "I'm Edrea. Edrea Turquot." She says her name with such a grandeur, that I'm confused as to why I haven't heard it.
"Sorry, but I uh, haven't heard of them before. The turquots." I cringe at myself for mispronouncing it.
"Hmm. Well, just so you know, the Turquots are a very famous family. Shame you haven't heard of us before. You best not get in my way." She storms off, and I feel a wave of nausea wash over me. How she reminds me of my aunt, who think the world revolves around her. I excuse myself, without having ate, and just walk, lost in thought, finally finding myself in a deserted field somewhere around the school, I take my shoes off and feel my feet on the grass. I very much suspect I will have grass stains, but I don't care. I let my wings slowly materialize themselves, and float, just barely. I don't want to have a repeat of earlier. I slowly allow myself more room, flying up to a nearby tree. It was tall, much taller than me, but I find a low hanging branch, at least 5 times the height of me, and I sit on it. It's thick enough I have no fear or falling, so I rest my back against the bark of the tree. My wings vanish and I let my hair fall around my face.
"Hey! Are you okay up there!" I hear a voice call out.
Mew ฅ(⌯͒• ɪ •⌯͒)ฅ❣

Reviews: 0
Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:24 pm
TheForgottenKing says...

Cadmus

Cadmus tried to hide his laughter as the 1st year experienced his little accident. He shared some glances with his other classmates, fondly remembering all the times someone else had made the school year a bit more memorable. As the headmistress motioned for everyone to leave, he stood up and stretched as the older years started greeting each other a bit more loudly. He glanced around the first years, until his eyes caught striking blue. He let a grin overtake his face as he made his way through the rowdy upperclassmen, and into a mass of nervous first years. He came up behind her a bit sneakily before tapping her on the shoulder. Yep, he knew those eyes.

“Well well M, never thought I’d be saying this, but it’s great to see you! Welcome to home away from home!” It took him a moment to realize that she was staring at him with confusion and something bordering fear.
"Do I know you?" She turned to her friend and they exchanged a look. "Look, if this is just some thing that upperclassman do to make the first years look stupid then I'm not interested."
"You really have no clue who I am?" Cadmus inquired raising an eyebrow.
"You'd think the confused looks and blank stare would have answered that for you." She joked with a soft yet apologetic smile.
"Here, I'll give you a clue. Let's say that I am most notable for my girlish screams as two of my older brothers forced me over the edge of a 5 meter cliff." Marissa blinked a moment as if the memory was replaying in her head for the first time. She then looked to him with a newfound playfulness in her eyes.
"Cadmus Bran?" A small laugh escaped her as she snaps her fingers in recognition. "I remember that. You couldn't swim at the time so I had jump in after you." She laughed again.
"I also distinctly remember you being the one to tell them to throw me in the first place." Marissa crinkled her brow looking down slighltly embarrased before smiling brightly again.
"Yeah, but I also remember it being payback for you throwing pebbles at me." Cadmus couldn't help it as the corners of his mouth quirked up. "You've changed...a lot." She continued as both of them mimicked each other's searching eyes.
"Yeah you too." He sighed feeling a strange weight lift. "What has it been, like 8 years? I mean, the last time we saw each other-"
"You and your family came to visit us in Greece." She spoke finishing his thought. "You were 10 and I was 8. Although I always thought you acted like you were younger than me."
"I was actually going to say you were much more showy and annoying."
"Wow, you're charm is the one thing that hasn't seemed to change since then." Marissa sneered with a taunting smile.
"Oh believe me you have not seen my charm yet." Cadmus retorted back. He stared at her a moment before speaking again. "Your eyes are still the same though. Big and blue like your mom's. I guess you never grew into them like my father always joked you would." Beside Marissa a young scaled girl with horns blinked her yellow eyes at the two before speaking up.
"Well, uh..." She turned to Marissa as Cadmus' cheeks flushed with color. He completely didn't realize she was standing there the whole time. "I've gotta go, but I'll see you later?" Her gaze bounced between the two of them. Completely oblivious to the newfound tension in the air, Marissa turned to her new friend and smiled.
"Oh for sure! I'll see you when we eat later."
”As your most ardent admirer, it would be my honor to give you the ins and outs they don’t tell you during orientation.” He extended his arm and flashed her his most award winning smile. All joking and teasing aside, he was interested in knowing her more. It had been so long ago, and she changed, vastly. He kept his eyes on her face as he spoke, leading her out of the hall.”Considering your unique situation, I thought you might like to see the pool. Its quite the place.” At the quick mention of the pool she almost stopped in her tracks. She looked to him, and quickly regained her composure.
"I mean you don't have to do that. It's getting late, and I assume the staff would want us getting back to our rooms."
Cadmus grinned at her.”Exactly. They would probably want you to do that. In your rooms by 9, lights out at 11.“ He checked his watch and winked at her.”Good thing it‘s only 7:30.” he put his hand over his heart.”I Cadmus Bran, to solemnly swear to have the young Miss Marissa back in time for her to be tucked in.” He laughed and held out his hand.”What do ya say M? Take a little risk?”
She placed her hand out to grab his, but quickly retracted with a mocking smile. “Don’t you Bran‘s have quite the reputation here? I’d hate to ruin that for you. I’m surprised you can even be seen with me right now." She raised her hands guiltily. "Besides your friends seem to getting a little antsy without their humbled leader.” Marissa pointed to Cadmus’ friends who were lingering and watching intently She went to to take step back retreating herself from the conversation..
Cadmus winked at her.”I’ve got all year to hang out woth them. Besides, not all Bran’s think alike.” He grinned at her, a teasing light in his eyes.”Come on. It’ll be worth it I promise!”
She sighed running her fingers through her hair. "Fine I'll go. But, under one condition." She crossed her arms. "No swimming. Just going to see it. Last thing I need is to fall into some trap. We may be older but something tells me there's still a michevious little boy behind that perfect exterior." She smiled now taking his hand.
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

275 Reviews

Reviews: 275
Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:17 am
elysian says...

Jonathan Woods

In the short time it had taken him to unpack, Jonathan had learned Morrigan was originally from the UK, which explains the accent, and that she was about to turn 18. He had also been told that she was a glyph caster and the daughter of a very powerful, horrible mother.

"She thinks that she can just send me off and not have to deal with me anymore, but maybe I'll cause some trouble just for the cause of annoying her." Morrigan sneered. It was obviously a touchy subject.

After a moment's silence, Ren and Morrigan exchanged a look. "You don't talk much, do you?" Ren asked.

Jonathan looked up from the last of his stuff in his suitcase at them. "Oh, uh, no, not really," he shrugged. He picked up my empty suitcase and shoved it into the small closet, struggling with both of their stuff crammed in there.

"Ahem, would you like some more space in there?" an unfamiliar voice sounded through the room.

"Wait, who said that?" Morrigan asked, looking around the room. Jonathan turned around, searching with her.

"Me, dears, the mirror." Three sets of eyes shot to the mirror where a woman with strawberry blonde hair tied up into a messy bun and bright blue eyes smiled back at us. She looked to be in her early thirties.

"My apologies, I didn't mean to frighten you," she chuckled, "My name is Piper, I'm just here to design the room to each of your individual needs and I can also help you keep track of events and school work throughout the year."

"I see, well, I'd like my half of my room to be (insert description here), Jonathan?"

"I'll take something simple with a dark color scheme, I guess." With a nod from Piper, the room morphed before our eyes. My bed had been dressed in a navy blue comforter set with dark ebony wood to build the frame. It was perfect.

"I'd just like to remind you guys that orientation starts in approximately ten minutes and it takes seven to get to the great hall, so it would be smart to go ahead and start heading down," And with that, the mirror faded back to looking normal.

--

Jonathan sat across from Morrigan and Ren, listening to the headmaster's speech halfheartedly. Instead, he was studying the people around him. Everyone looked so different from each other, some people weren't even human.

"Hello," a girl mumbled, sitting down next to Morrigan. Her long blonde hair caught his eye and he had to do a double take of her blue eyes before he was certain it was the same girl from the street.

"Hi, what's your name?" Morrigan asked cheerfully.

"Ella, what about you?" Ella's voice was sweet like honey. She looked human, and he wondered where she was from. It was almost like she was shimmering, the more he looked at her.

His attention was torn from Ella when screaming abrupted on the other side of the hall, and Jonathan watched in horror as a kid was burning to death. It was almost like he couldn't look away, even though it should've been too painful to watch.

He watched in awe as the boy stood perfectly unharmed, only his clothes scorched from the flames. Must've had something to do with his powers.

He was so engulfed in what was happening that he hadn't noticed a girl with wild red hair had taken a seat next to Ella, and was saying something with an annoyed tone in her voice. Whatever it was, it seemed to make Ella uncomfortable and she excused herself, keeping her eyes on the floor.

Jonathan opened his mouth, ready to call out to her. He didn't think she had even noticed him sitting there at the table, but something about her intrigued him.

He stared after her for a moment, but right before she disappeared around the corner, Jonathan mumbled, "Excuse me," and followed after her. She had a headstart on him but the hallway split off into two and he could either follow the way that went outside or the way to the library. He hesitated, not sure which way she would've chosen, but decided to go with the one leading outdoors.

When he got out, he searched the area for her, but saw no sign of her. He was about to turn around when a flash of blonde caught his eye, and sure enough there Ella was, up in a tree.

""Hey! Are you okay up there?" I called out, wondering how she had gotten all the way up there so fast.

"I'm fine, thank you," she replied back, barely audible. He looked around, checking for any teachers before starting his climb up the tree.
“Wait, what’re you doing?” Ella exclaimed, anxiety underlying her tone. Jonathan grunted as he pulled himself up the tree until he finally reached the same branch she was on.

“I don’t know how you got up here so fast, honestly,” He said as he sat across from her, letting his legs hang.

She blushed, avoiding his eyes. “I’m Jonathan, by the way,” He said, noticing her discomfort with a stranger sitting with her.

“Oh, I’m Ella,” She replied, eyeing him.

“I know, I was sitting with Morrigan,” He replied, looking around at the view. There were high enough up that they could see a good part of the garden. They both didn’t say anything for quite a while, admiring their new home as the sun started to set.

"I have a feeling this year is going to be anything but normal," Ella said suddenly, continuing to observe the details of their view.

Jonathan looked over at her, "Me too, I'm just hoping I'm wrong."
elysian: (adj.) beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful and perfect.

formally lylas.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:49 pm
View Likes
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

Jake Harrison

It had been a rough night after the incident with the fire box. Spending most of the night trying to keep himself from igniting. He didn't need any more murmurs going on around him. The classes that he was meant to take as a first year, but they all seemed to blend together. Strange words and concoctions that didn't make any sense to him.

Not to mention that the red headed wizardess seem to be making him the focus of her torment. In the Basics of Magic she had used her wand to move his seat away so that he crashed to the floor with a loud clatter. Students laughed while other just looked at him rather sadly.

It wasn't until he got to his mentoring with Master Locar, that everything seemed to slow down. "So...what did you learn from your Magical Creatures class?"

"Um...the cerberus have had places in just about all dimensions. Usually known as good guard dogs as there is always one head always awake at all times," he said trying to remember all of the information that he was told.

"Pretty good. Maybe you do stand a chance of being a real glyph caster," Master Locar chuckled as he moved to a gate. "But you forgot one thing."

"Uh...what?"

Master Locar pulled the latch of the gate and released one of the three headed beasts. They came barreling toward him with gruff barks before tackling the young fire casting boy. The three heads immediately began attacking him with licks that sent Jake into a fit of giggles.

"They're very playful creatures and easy to train," Master Locar chuckled. "Alright brute...back to your pen." The three headed dog galloped back through the gate before being closed in again. "Now let's discuss your mentoring. It has come to my attention that you don't know how to control your magic and that it is very volatile. Specifically to your emotions. So we will begin with learning how to control your magic."

"But Master Locar, I don't want to control it," Jake said. "Isn't there some way to just...get rid of it?"

"Whether you like it or not you're a glyph caster. And the longer you without training the more you will set things on fire. So it's simple. Burn everything...or learn how to control it. What's it gonna be?" Jake let his shoulders drop as he sighed. "Glad we got that taken care of. Now I need to tell you, your immunity to being burned is actually rather uncommon and makes you a perfect candidate for draconian taming."

"What is draconian taming?" Jake asked.

"Glad you asked. I am sure that even in your world that you have heard about dragons," Locar stated, getting a nod from Jake. "Many dragons are quite intelligent and are quite regal. But some of their cousins are not as sentient. We call them draconians. Many of these creatures require a tamer that has a great deal of control over fire magic. But you don't seem to be burned by such fire...so you would should have an easier time doing that."

Jake nodded slowly as he listened.

"So we will begin with learning to control your magic. Glyph magic is used through concentrating on a particular glyph and filtering your magic through it. You are going to practice by holding a flame in your hands without letting it get out of control."

Locar took Jake out to the fields and had him hold a fire between his hands. It was just the size of a candle at the moment as any more started making it burn out of control. Jake sat there holding the fire between his palms, hand shaking as he was struggling. It almost looked like a vein was about to erupt from his skull as he tried to contain the fire that was threatening to overwhelm him.

Reviews: 3
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:16 am
DivinePrincess says...

Rosalie

After meeting Jake, Rose seemed to have her eyes on another mission instead of learning. Life, being a game to her, began to focus on getting Jake wrapped around her beautiful little finger. She sat in study hall, her eyes scanning the most boring books about potion making and how magic can be used to benefit her life—besides messing with people.

As Rose sat there in the library, she began to think about all the other students in the Academy. She sensed all their auras, which was easy for a Succubus. The first aura that caught her eye was of course Jake's, who came off a little timid and yet easy to take advantage of. She liked that though, because not only did it intrigue her but also gave her a sense of entertainment in that place. As they talked, she could feel his sexual energy towards her grow, which gave her a sense of excitement.

Her mind then moved to Edrea, who she had heard about from the talk around the campus. This girl was apparently the bitchiest person she’s ever heard of, although Rose almost valued the way Edrea brought about herself. This girl intimidates everyone else, but to Rose she seemed to be just a mere girl with insecurities that she takes out on other people. Rose smiled as she thought, wondering if Edrea would ever try to talk to her the way she talks to the other students at the Academy.

I wish she would.

Then there’s this girl that looks like a literal dragon. Kassia, she thought was her name. The thought quickly passes Rose’s mind and moved onto Morrigan and then to her roommate, Ella. She shudders with just the thought of the angelic presence she possessed. Angel’s disgusted Rose, yet were also easy targets for mind games and playground activities. Rose was comforted though, when she remembered how tense Ella got as soon as she entered the room—as if she was scared of Rose. Rose loved the thrill.

Rose finally shifted her mind through a couple more students before landing her attention on a particular student who caught her eye, Cadmus. He reminded her of the male version of her, which gave her a sense of pleasure and attentiveness. He was attractive, and had a whit to him that she only seemed to catch. She heard about him as well, and could find it only a matter of time until they ran into each other in the hallways.

Rose’s pale blue eyes looked up as soon as one of the mentors sat beside her, “Hello, Rosalie. I will be your mentor. Is there anything you need help with regarding your classes?

“Do you know exactly who I am?” Rose scoffed, sitting back in her chair and crossing her arms as some in the students in the room stopped talking, just to listen to this interesting encounter.

The girl clears her throat and looks around before connecting eyes back with Rosalie, “I’m not…”

“Of course you’re not.” Rose interrupts her, “I don’t need help from anyone sweetie. From my understanding, my talent and my ability to learn is almost four times the average student in this hell hole.”

The mentor’s jaw almost drops. The girl just stays silent, trying to figure out how to get out of this awkward situation Rose had put her in.

“Now get back to one of those little novices that you’re used to. It’s not me. Thank you.”

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:19 pm
View Likes
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

Edrea Torquot

A day of wasted time later, Edrea lay motionless on the bed that night. "Everything here is pointless. I am far beyond these damn studies and yet I am being forced to go back over the most simple of magics. Completely unrefined," she simmered.

"Tomorrow I will have a talk with the head mistress. Get her to accelerate my studies," she sighed. She was about to tell her room to get her tucked in when a massive eruption shook all of the academy building.

Jumping to her feet and grabbing her wand she rushed out into the crowd of confused and shaken students. Screams went up as dark shapes began making their way down the corridor. Students running passed her like terrified sheep before she was able to get a look at the assailants.

Dark grotesque skin that seemed to be made from some kind of mold covered their bodies. They hissed and snarled like beasts as they would leap at and attack anyone nearby.

"That's an impressive corruption spell...if it weren't so basic," Edrea smirked as she gave her wand a flick and sent a wave of magic rushing down the corridor. The creatures shrieking in pain before they scurried off down the corridor again. "I wonder if this is some sort of test for us?" she mused to herself as she marched down the hall to investigate the creatures.

The force that hit her was heavy and hard. A massive creature, perhaps what was once an ogre, has crashed into her and pinned her to the wall. Her wand falling from her hand to the floor with a wooden clink to the stonework.

The beast hissed out a putrid breath of decay that made her want to vomit, but she would never allow something so undignified to happen to a Torquot. The maw of the beast was blackened and writhing about in its own skin that made her want to scrub herself clean vigorously. But more than anything was the terror. Without her wand she was cut off from her magic, she couldn't summon the power needed to fend the beast off. The maw only came closer, ready to encapsulate her head. She was a split second away from screaming in panic when the beast grunted out and was pried off of her.

A massive scaled creature stood there. A green demon or dragon-like creature that seemed to smirk when it saw the horrified look on her face. Turning his attention to the mold covered creature he began to claw and lash at it with sharp talons that took chunks of flesh with them. It was a sickening sight to behold as she sat there shuddering in fear from her experience.

When the creature ceased moving the scaled form slowly morphed back into that rather brazen male that she had met earlier.

"Next time, bring back up," he sneered.

"Next time don't get in my way," she snapped back as she swiped her wand from the ground and stormed off. She was completely embarrassed that she had to be saved by an oaf like him. She needed to find something to take out her frustrations and heal her damaged pride.

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:29 pm
AlyTheBookworm says...

Kassia Vidal

Kassia’s first day of classes went by in a rush.

In Basics of Potion, she struggled to remember the names of magical ingredients as Mr. Lok stirred his cauldron, talking a mile a minute about the effects of mandrake and griffon claw on this or that tonic…

When that class ended, she headed off to History of Magic. It didn’t take long for her to completely lose her way, but a friendly wizard gave her some directions and she barely made it in time.

Ms. Harrish’s class turned out to be fun. The wizardess turned boring textbook passages into exciting adventure stories and even had a collection of magical artifacts from the history they were reading about.

The rest of Kassia’s classes came and went. Each was fascinating, especially when the teacher gave demonstrations of their magic, but Kas felt like she had been living under a rock her entire life. There was so much to learn, and while Edrea was strutting around doing advanced magic left and right, Kas still didn’t know how to cast a single spell.

After a long and tiring day, she climbed the stairs to the fifth floor and headed to her room. It was empty- it seemed that her roommate wasn’t back from dinner yet.

Kas had finally met him the other night. Renier Black, an older human boy with dark eyes and hair. He had seemed nice, but couldn’t hide his annoyance at the whole co-ed thing.

Kassia could understand that; she felt the same.

The room was dark and quiet, a relief after a busy first day at the academy. Kassia set her staff and bag down by the desk and stepped over to the window. Pressing her forehead against the cool glass, she looked out at the darkening sky- stars slowly popping into view as the sun set. People streamed from the empty marketplace like the last grains of sand trickling through an hourglass.

She felt a sudden pang of homesickness.

I wonder what time it is back in Relan?

It was strange to think that her family might be waking up and eating breakfast while she was staring at the night sky a world away.

I’ll see them again, she promised herself.

BOOM.

The floorboards rumbled beneath Kassia’s feet and the windows rattled in their frames. She stumbled and fell as screams began to echo throughout the castle.

“What was that?” she said aloud, fear creeping into her voice.

A bluish figure materialized behind the dark surface of the mirror. Lyn’s usual impish grin had turned into a frown, her slanted eyes full of concern.

“Hey, sorceress. Kassia. Something is very wrong. That was an explosion.”

Kassia pulled herself to her feet and ran towards the door. Panicked screams and yells came from the hallway, as well as… was that growling? Roars?

“Hey kid! Don’t forget your staff!” Lyn yelled.

Kas grabbed her staff from beside the desk and opened the door before stepping out into the hallway. The hallway was dim, full of shadowed figures- confused and scared students. Many had their staffs and wands out, and a few were defending themselves from… Kas felt a chill as her eyes adjusted to the darkness.

Monstrous creatures were attacking the students. They were beasts covered in what looked like black mold.

A boy who looked to be no older than twelve was standing in the midst of the chaos, empty-handed. Still in his pajamas, he was shaking and obviously terrified.

“Run!” Kassia yelled at him. “Don’t just stand there!”

He finally started moving and disappeared into the crowd.

A second later, one of the creatures barreled into Kas and she fell to the ground, her staff flying from her hand and landing a few feet away.

The beast stank of rot and decay, its body a writhing black mass. Kas tried to hold it back as it snapped at her face- its rotted black fangs only inches away.

She gritted her teeth and kicked out hard- throwing the creature back. It let out a terrifying sound- something like a howl and a scream- then got up to attack her again.

Kassia snatched her staff and swung it at the monster with an animalistic roar. She felt a wave of magic come from the staff, and the beast was tossed backwards ten feet before slamming into a wall. It fell to the ground in a heap, then scurried off into the shadows of another corridor.

Heart racing, Kas jumped to her feet and looked at her surroundings. The creatures seemed to have retreated as quickly as they had come.

The hallway quieted. Students huddled in groups. Two kids were crying.

Kassia clutched her staff, scared to let go in case the monsters came back.

“Is everyone alright?” she said hoarsely.

A few kids nodded, but most were too shocked to answer.

Adrenaline was still pumping through her body. Kas let out a deep breath, then headed down the hallway towards the stairs, hoping someone would know what was going on.

I’ll marry the finest banana in the galaxy for you.
— Tuckster