Black Cotton

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:34 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Dan

The first thing Dan remembered was that for the last few weeks, he hadn't really remembered much at all. He tried to hang on to any memory that he could from being sick that wasn't lying in bed or throwing up or being in excruciating pain. Conversations he'd had with the others. But it was all a haze. Jen had overtaken his dreams, but all he could remember were images of her, feelings. The thoughts that he wouldn't have to wait long before he'd see her again. He was concerned by long it had been since she'd gone. How much she seemed to be slipping away.

He had woken up as it was getting dark. They were moving through the desolate streets. It was so quiet. Other than the tread from the shoes of the group and the occasional whisper, there was nothing. It was always this way, or at least, it always had been since the virus. Before, there was noise. Cars. People. Bo was carrying him and seemed not to be struggling. But it's not like Dan was ever the most musclar guy. In school he used to try and force himself to go to the gym, but was never able to sustain it for very long.

They walked in silence for what seemed like a long time, and finally they approached what appeared to be an old trailer park. The trailers themselves were in various states of decomposition, but there was one that seemed to be alright that they headed towards.

"Where are we?" Dan managed. It took the others a moment to process that he had something, and he had to repeat his question.

"My old place," Bo responded.

"How are you feeling?" Lily asked.

"Alright."

Bo hesitated at the door, and it opened. It was small. Too small for five people. "This is temporary," he said as they began to settle in.

"What happened to me?" Dan said.

"You had the virus," Lily repsonded.

"And you cured me?" Dan asked.

"I guess so," she said.

They set down his stretcher, and Dan tried to sit up. He struggled a bit at first, but found that he was able to. He took a deep breath. Looked at the others. RJ and Aaron both smiled at him wryly. He realized he was very lucky to have met them. People who he could call his friends.

He'd been ready to die. Ready to see Jen again. Ready to see all of his other friends that he'd loved and lost. He didn't think it was possible to survive. "Lily," Dan said. "This could change everything."

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

Someday, everything is going to go right for you, and it will be so wonderful you won't even know what to do.
— Hannelore Ellicott-Chatham, Questionable Content