Young Writers Society

Book Club in Room U202

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:06 am
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

24 Hours Later...

"Hello everyone, and welcome to the first book club meeting of the year. I'm going to start off with handing out one of my favorite classics that I think you’ll all enjoy. Tales of the Labyrinth." Behind her chair sits a worn box full of medium sized books. She pulls one out for everyone passing them around the circle. When it finally comes to me I grip the warm leather in my hands, and a familiar spark surges through my brain.

"Hmm? I can tell by your faces that this book seems oddly familiar, wouldn’t you say? If you all look around the room right now you’ll quickly see that all of you are quite different. And clearly, not all of you are here because you want to be." I'll have to Mrs. Whitaker. We are an odd bunch to be sitting around in a circle for book club. Across from me a girl removes one arm from their crossed position to raise a hand.

"No questions or comments need to be asked or made right now. All you need to know is that all of you have read this book. Some once, and some many times." The minute Mrs. Whitaker looks to me I quickly put my head down to avoid the inevitable eye-contact. All of a sudden a wave of half-heartened gasps and raised eyebrows fall to Mrs. Whitaker and the trick she has performed.

"A simple card trick. As seen on every street corner by every kind of street magician. A dumbfounded illusion easily cracked by the quick search of the internet and a loose sleeve. You see, this card has nothing special about it...except, it has one thing in common to all of you. It has your names on it." Now she has our attention.
"Everyone remembers that time in their childhood when they wished for a miracle. Or rather, they wished for the existence of magic to fix the problems that haunted them. Some of those hauntings have disappeared the older you’ve become, but there are still the few that remain. They are the unanswered questions that itch the back of your brain. Now, magic seems like nothing more than a fairytale only seen in Harry Potter, or Disney movies. But, what if I told you that the world was wrong?"

"Much can be said about what magic is, and what it is not. It is no longer an idea granted to children to hide themselves from the real world. But instead, it is real, and it is not for everyone. It is one thing to know of magic, and it is another thing to be a magic wielder.

Magic was born from the notion that our world is limited, or incomplete. All of you are chosen because you believe in that notion. I chose you, or rather the book chose you to teach you to transform that notion into something tangible. Hopefully, without blowing yourselves up.

Magic is not to be messed around with. If you study with me and with each other, you will learn a lot. And through many series of lessons you will become magic wielders. I can promise that.

You dont believe me? Honestly, it's sometimes hard to believe myself. Now, open your books, and take a look for yourself. Because the interesting thing about reading a book more than once, is you always notice there something between the lines.

Not the same story you've read right? I know, this is a lot to take in and some of you may feel obliged to be scared or outspoken. Look, you don’t wish to participate feel free to leave the room now and you won’t remember any of this, and your normal boring life will be restored. Or, you can stay and wield magic. Well then, shall we get started?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello and welcome to Book Club in Room U202! A new modern fantasy SB inspired by SYFY's show The Magicians! I am HazelGrace16 the creator and the dungeon master of this SB. The increrpt above will happen in the story but before we get there we need to make some characters! Here is some lore and information to help you get started.

Background:
Spoiler! :
At the beginning of this SB you are a college student attending Whineland University in upstate New York a few miles out of the city. Your character is ultimately chosen becuase at one point in the past 20 or so years, they have rented the book The Tales of the Labyrinth from the New York Public Library. How you come to find this book, and what it means to your character is up to you. Either way, the book only reveals itself to potential Magic Wielders. So congratulations.

Magic Abilities and Specialties:
Spoiler! :
All forms of magic in this world can be performed by all magic wielders with enough training. However, no one (except master wielders) succeed in all areas. Most magic wielders only specialize in one specialty to center their power on. Some specialties are chosen, some earned, and some are bestowed without say. Here are the specialties:

Physical Magic: Magical Ability to manipulate matter
Specialized areas: Temperature Manipulation, Light and Electricity Manipulation, Levitation and flight, Mending (The abilitiy to fix inimate objects), Telekinesis.

Psychic Magic: Magical abilities concerning psychic abilities
Specilaized areas: Telepathy, Mind Control, Memory Manipulation, Ability to talk to the dead or demonic objects, Dream Manipulation, Traveling and Astral Projection, and Premonition

Illusions: Magical ability to create and manipulate vivid illusions
Specialzied Areas: Mirror Magic, Invisibility(Camouflage/ Cloaking), Projections, Sensory Manipulation, Vanishing

Healing: Aptitude for magical healing and manipulation of life
Specialized Areas: Injury Treatment, Curse Analysis, Manipulation and creation of Potions and Crystals, Mending and creation of living beings

Knowledge: Alleged magical abilities held by scholars of magic(Basically a mix of Physical and Psychic)-Become teachers and creators of magic
Specialized Areas: Meta Composition, Meta-magic, Strengths in other areas of Physical and Psychic areas

Natural Magic: Aptitude for manipulation of natural elements
Specialized Areas: Plant manipulation, weather manipulation, animal manipulation and transformation, herbalism

Character Template:
Spoiler! :
I encourage you to try some character traits you've never done before!
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b] (College level 18-25)
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Physical Characteristics: [/b](Please provide photo)
[b]History:[/b]
[b]Personality/Strengths & Weaknesses[/b]
[b]Hobbies:[/b]
[b]Major at University:[/b]
[b]Magical Specialty:[/b]
[b]Specified Magical Specialty:[/b]
[b]Reason for renting “The Tales of The Labyrinth” and at what age you did so:[/b]
Your role(How will your character be useful or intriguing to the story in one or few words):
[b]UFL?:[/b]

If you're having trouble thinking of things to include in your CP I typically use this website to help me! (P.S. Dont include everything! It's just some remiders if you decide to use it!)
https://www.writerswrite.com/journal/jun98/how-to-create-a-character-profile-6986

Hey! I know this is a lot of information, and it may seem very overwhelming! But I can promise you that it is my job to make this process as easy and as fun as possible for you. I put so much effort into this particular SB because one of my New Year's resolutions is to start and finish a popular SB. And, I really need your guys' help to do that. I really hope you can dedicate your beautiful creative minds to this story. It'll be a commitment, but I can promise in the end it will be worth it! So please consider signing up or showing some interest! I would be so happy to answer any questions, or hear any suggestions you guys may have! This is a story I believe in, and I hope you believe in it too.

One thing to know about this story is that it will not be a "students learning magic story" for very long ;)

Tagging:
Spoiler! :
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

15 Reviews

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:08 am
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Joanna Cribari

“Alright class, before you leave I have a quick farewell question for you all before we head out on our weekend adventures.” Mrs. Whitaker announces after the clock strikes 12. The class groans as I read through the same page for the third time this lecture. “Yes, yes I know you all want to get out of here, but my question for you is, which ancient Greek philosopher had these words discovered in his work? ‘Statuta per singulos dies, quam vis: puto autem quod et in te facti sunt non est qui vobis.’” Per usual, everyone was silent. The end of class was where Mrs. Whitaker thrived, and everyone knew we weren’t going anywhere until someone answered the question correctly.

“Anyone?” She looks at us expectantly. The boy across from me at my work table slowly lifts his hand.

“Socrates?” He guesses, clearly unsure. Mrs. Whitaker smirks and jumps up on her counter to sit.

“Close answer, but also a very common answer. I expect more from you guys, and you know that. Now, anyone else?” Her eyes scan the room back and forth like a searchlight until they land right on me. “Joanna, how about you?”

“Uh-well…” I twist the ring on my tattooed finger. “I guess it would have to be...Heraclitus?” I bite my lip looking down.

“That's correct.” Mrs. Whitaker smiles. “Can I ask what is he saying, and also your interpretation of what he means by this?” I sigh pushing my hair back.

“‘Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become.’” I quote. “Essentially, he’s explaining his understanding of the ‘ever-changing’ nature of life. You choose what you become, but you don't always choose how things happen to you.”

“Great answer Joanna.” She looks to the class. “You are dismissed for the day. I suggest you take the time to thank Joanna for doing her extra reading on your way out. And speaking of which, Joanna I want you to stay after for just a second okay?” She jumps down from the counter. “Now, get out.”

“Great,” I mumble under my breath as I collect my things from my workspace. I hear some snide whispers go by as my classmates exit the room. “Mrs. Whitaker?”

“Joanna is there a reason you’re already a semester ahead of the class?”

“Uh-” I try to think of an excuse.

“I saw you reading the whole lecture.” She begins packing up her own things. “Joanna, do you actually do anything regular college kids do? Like party, date, or even sleep?”

“I just really like the topic.” I shrug.

“Ancient philosophy? Well, you’re kind of one in a million. Not many people take this course because they want to.”

“Then why do you teach it?” I ask.

“It’s apart of my curriculum. I teach it because I am required to, but that doesn't mean I don’t enjoy it as well All the best things about life start from ancient times…”

“So what is it you need?” I ask pulling the conversation.

“I need you to consider joining this.” She hands me a small flyer from her bag.

“Book club? You can’t be serious?”

“I don’t have any expected members so I need to recruit. Besides, for being such a joy in class I don't typically see you leaving with many friends.”

“I have friends-”

“That’s not what I’m saying, Joanna. Think of it as more of an independent study. If you do this I’ll recommend you for next level courses next semester. And, I’ll recommend you for the Greece trip scholarship again since you graciously declined it last year.”

“I don’t want to go to Greece.”

“And I don’t want to go this lunch meeting at 12:30, but sometimes things need us there.” She passes me heading for the doorway. “Consider the meetings Joanna. I promise it’s a choice Heraclitus would approve of…”

“I’ll do it.” I sigh.

“Good.”
--------------------------------------------------------
Later that day

Wineland's campus was beautiful, and since we were only a few months into this semester the main quad was still filled with a lot of life. I walk up to one of the many student bulletin boards and staple a flyer to the post.

“Joey!” I jump quickly turning to see Kadie running towards me away from a group of what I assume can be a few of her many admirers. I mean who can blame them with how nice and pretty this girl is.

“Hey Kat.” I smile. I look past her. “How is it you can manage to attract those many guys while still wearing sweatpants?” She laughs.

“Puh-leeze. That’s just a study group of mine. They’re attracted to my smarts, not my body.”

“Yeah, the one staring at your butt right now definitely is looking deep into your brain.” She laughs louder turning around and flipping the guy off. He takes a step back embarrassed as she waves the guys off.

“God, I thought we left all the idiots behind in high school.”

“Sadly they are still here, and just as stupid and oblivious as ever…” Right on queue, I trail off spotting my long-time crush across the quad. I haven’t even told Kat about him.

“Joey?” She turns around. “Oh my God! Is it the mysterious guy you still have yet to tell me about? Why is it you always spot him in areas of millions of people? It’s so hard to track him down then.”

“Doesn’t matter.” I turn my attention back to Kadie. “Anyways, you up for pizza, beers, and Netflix tonight?” I smile.

“Sounds great Joey, but it’s Friday. I promise I’ll text you later depending on what my schedule will be. And before you make the face you always do, I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s cool! You know me, I actually forgot about work tonight.”

“Speaking of work…” She looks past me at the bulletin post. “Are you hanging up tear off flyers for the restaurant? That’s like so math tutory”

“Well, with Renner going off to college a few months ago and Jeremy taking over more of the business aspects, we need some more help around the restaurant.”

“Ah, I see. Well, I will talk to you later. I’m late for a class. See ya.” She quickly hugs me and runs off to wherever she needs to go next.

“See ya…”
-----------------------------------------------------
That evening as I’m prepping for the dinner shift, my eye keeps catching on one of the photos on the wall. It’s the last family photo my family took before Ben’s disappearance. We all looked so happy, and none of us knew what sort of hell would occur no more than a few months later.

“Consider the meetings Joanna. I promise it’s a choice Heraclitus would approve of…”

Ben always liked to take chances. So maybe I could too.

Suddenly, I hear the ding of the door to see someone walk inside. I go to grab some silverware when I notice they have one of the stubs in their left hand.

Spoiler! :
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:47 pm
View Likes
Nike says...

Kadie Francisa Wilheim

I had my backpack slung on one shoulder just like I did in high school, guess that I really wouldn't grow up. The halls were packed with students either leaving class or going to. As I walked, I had Scotty Sire blasting in my ears, giving me the peace and quiet from the world for just a second. I had to find Joanna and see how her day was going.

Reaching the exit, I pushed the door open and was releaved by the warm air. Even more students were wandering around the college grounds, just like one of those teen shows Gossip Girl, where you dreamed of going to a school like theirs. At least that was the only reality from the show, I wasn't here for the drama and lies.

I spotted Joanna just down the way, reading one of the student boards. But before I could get to her, a group of guys called out to me from my right.

"Aye, Kat!" I turned to see James Clover winking at me. This boy. Shaking my head I went up to him and his group of friends with the fakest smile I could come up with. I slipped one earphone out just to hear what they had to say.

They were standing around one of the many benches we had splayed along the campus. One of them had a vape and they puffed away as if no teacher could kick them out, Jesus.

"Whaddup James?" I asked.

"You're really rocking those pants girl, been working out lately?"

Rolling my eyes, I replied. "Thanks hun for the compliment."

"Hey I gotta give you some sort of props since no one says anything, we still hanging later?"

Here's the thing with James, he's a cool guy. Since the start of the semester we've really clicked and talked in class. He seems pretty closed off and I kinda wanna help him break loose. This is why he seems a bit more comfortable with me than a lot of other people, I've made him open up. But the crew he hangs out with? Total dweebs. They are such dicks... especially Connor. I am mentally rolling my eyes, jeez.

"Of course dude," I smiled. "Anyway, I gotta go to Joey."

Nodding, he replied. "Okay, cool. Maybe she can hang with us?"

"Who's hanging tonight?" Connor came from behind him, a smirk lining his face.

Rolling my eyes once again, I sighed. "None of your business dude."

It's like his smirk reached another level as he slipped his hands in his pockets. "Well I want to make it my business."

I shook my head and looked back at James. "I'll check you later."

I manage to leave and make my way over to Joanna, relieved that Connor and I do not have any more interaction than that.

After my talk with Joanna, I couldn't help but feel that maybe we should hang tonight. We barely got to see each other during college as it is... and a girls' night wouldn't be too bad. As I sat in my last class, my teacher started handing out our homework.

"Now, I won't be here next week, so please take your time with this. It's an essay that I want completed by Friday next week. It will take up a lot of your time." Mrs. Tominski said with a sharp tone. "No excuses,"

Rolling my eyes, I took a look at the sheet. Just a bunch of shit mixed into three paragraphs, I'll read this tomorrow. The door creaked open, catching everyone's attention. Mrs. Whitaker? She had a smile playing on her face as she looked over the class.

"Emma, you're done with class?" she asked Mrs. Tominski.

With a smile, she nodded. "Just about, need to speak with someone?"

"Yes actually, I'll wait just outside the door for her."

I had the strangest feeling she was talking about me. I shrugged it off, hoping I didn't fail one of her tests. She stepped back outside as our professor finished the class. Everyone got up as the bell rang, talking amongst each other. The only person I knew here was Adam Hersch, and I really couldn't get the guts to talk to him. And he was best friends with Connor... I don't know how.

As everyone started emptying out, I got up and grabbed my things, slipped my earphones back in. I followed after everyone, letting my music put a spring in my step. As I exited the classroom, I felt a hand touch my arm. Oh fuck, she was talking about me. I swallowed hard and slipped my earphones off.

"Kadie, can I speak with you?"

Connor Krzysztof Puth

"Duuuuuude," I said to Adam.

He was next to me in class, actually focused on whatever the professor was saying. I was too hyped for the party tonight. I had to get him pumped too.

"Jesus Connor, focus." He hissed back to me.

Rolling my eyes, I leaned back in my chair, noticing everyone else either about to fall asleep or taking notes. Our professor was dragging on and on about some exams we will be taking at the end of the week and I couldn't even listen to her anymore. I grabbed my phone and started stalking my Snapchat until the bell rang.

"Puth, ass up, let's go eat."

Startled, I jumped in my chair and looked up, seeing Adam with his backpack slung on one shoulder. I grabbed my things and we dipped.

"Did you listen to the class dude?" he askeed, his eyebrows pulled together.

"Maybe not,"

"You like this class, what's going on?"

"I'm hungry and I can't stop thinking about the party."

Shaking his head, he replied. "Let's think about that later, this is more important."

The halls were filled with students, a little too many of them, it's like I couldn't breathe. Adam had walked in front of me, creating a path for us to walk out. Once we reached the exits, I managed to catch a breath.

"I can't think about it later dude, this is what college is about!" I skipped the few steos to the sidewalk, walking around a few girls.

"Since when was partying your thing? You really like learning."

"I still do Adam... buuuuut this is a huge thing. I mean look at where we are in the social life here."

"You sound too much like a teen drama, imma stop you there." He stifled a laugh. "Come on, I think you just need some Taco Bell and you'll be good 'ol Puth."

Shaking my head, I smiled. "You got me at Taco Bell man."

As we walked, I saw James talking to Kadie. She was one fine piece, but I couldn't get near her, she had a thing for Adam and everyone knew. It was so obvious by the way her cheeks would get beet red just as he'd walk by her. I couldn't help but not go up to them and his few other friends.

"Hey Adam, wait here." I started to jog over.

"Aye, why?" he called after me.

"Gotta make fun of Kat!"

Spoiler! :
Took me forver and it's tsil lnot good enough doing this at work. But I did the thing! @HazelGrace16 @XxXTheSwordsmanXxX
“There is no need to call me Sir, Professor.”

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:06 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Puck

Her college was only a school, yet she treasured it like no other. The campus never failed to take away her breath with its beauty. Even as the seasons changed, her love remained as strong as before. She had spent many hours curled up under its trees with a good book. That in itself was another reason she loved her college. The library was absolutely wonderful, and she perused its shelves on a regular basis.

The school was everything she could have dreamed of. Enough books to keep her boredom at bay, and a calm atmosphere to keep her in almost constant state of happiness. Though she would never admit it to even herself, the campus served as the perfect distraction from her loneliness. Her heart had been aching for so long that it had become easier to ignore it than try to root out its source.

Because, as she had discovered long ago, she was fated to be alone.

~v~

She made her way through the hallways with a smile on her face, giving an apology to all that she bumped to – which was a high number of people, seeing that the hallways were absolutely crowded at this time of day. Her last class of the day had ended. The library was calling her in the way that it always did. She had heard some of her fellow students discussing a party when she passed them in the halls, and now she needed a new book more than she ever did.

She slipped into the library. With the allure of a new adventure on the horizon, who needed a party? The words hurt as she thought them, but she had already begun to search the shelves for a new story. She kept her eyes on the spines. Did she want a new release, or something much older? Choices, choices. A new story ran the risk of mirroring her reality too much, even if it strayed into the fantasy realm. An older book would be the salvation she needed.

She felt her phone vibrate in her pocket.

She doubted it was anything urgent, but she stopped her browsing and pulled it out all the same. It was just a notification from her Tumblr account. She smiled when she saw that someone had reblogged several of her posts; it looked like she was about to get a new follower.

She returned the phone to her pocket and returned to looking through the shelves.

“Hi, Keira,” someone suddenly said from behind her. She was startled, but she didn't let it show as she turned to see Ms. Whitaker. The professor was holding a flier in her hands. When Puck tried to catch a glimpse of what is said, her history professor held it out to her. “Would you be interested in joining a book club?”

She grabbed the flier.

Years of dedicated reading had resulted in her being a fast reader, and she quickly went through all of the details mentioned. Each one made her more and more eager to join the club. It was the perfect way to be introduced to new books. Though she was quite alright with the current state of her social life, it would be the perfect chance to meet new people. New people meant more books, and, if she was lucky, possibly new anime.

And it certainly wouldn't be the first book club she had been a part of.

“I guess you've seen me here a lot,” Puck joked, carefully folding up the flier and putting in her only empty pocket of her jeans. She grinned. “I'd love to be a part of the club!”
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:15 am
View Likes
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

James Clover

"I expect each and every one of you to be mindful of what you are doing and where the people around are at while in the shop," Mr. Wilton stated at the front of the class.

James sighed as he was already working on the design for his project. It would be his final so it could never be worked on too soon. His hand free handing the concept in his head onto the bound notebook that he carried everywhere. To get the highest school for this class he made sure to give himself a few challenges. Some intricate pieces on the side, layering of wood, maybe some carvings on the top.

"...in a normal setting you will likely be working with other individuals on a single project. With that in mind, I am going to be pairing you off with a partner for you to work with on your final projects with. Your score will be on the final outcome and your teamwork," Mr. Wilton said making James scowl.

People skills were quite lacking in his arsenal. He prefered to just do things himself, that way he knew they were done right, and it kept him from having to interact with people.

With the bell ringing and the end of class, people began filtering out of the door. He was glad to be out of there. It would be better off if he didn't have to have someone asking him if he would partner up with him. A few of the guys around campus would hang with him between classes, but to call them friends was a long shot. The only real person that he felt close to was Kadie. Truth be told, if she wasn't harder to get away from than gum stuck in your hair, he wouldn't have made friends with her. But even now was a little better.

With the day over, James was taking the tiny studio campus room with a small fluffing. Of course, having your bed directly across from your TV and kitchen didn't leave much for him to do. The tight space made it so that he didn't want to be there, and when he was he always had the window open, even if it was freezing.

A few sharp knocks on his door announced Kadie and Joanna. Opening the door he gave a small smile before closing the door.

"Geeze, you said it was small but damn," Kadie said realizing she had gone from the kitchen to the bedroom in two steps.

"Only think I can afford," he said looking to Joanna. She seemed to be avoiding eye contact with him, though the reason why was a mystery. "I hear that you are a waitress, Joanna," James says trying to ease the tension.

"Yeah. I will have to be heading out to get ready here soon," she said a little uncomfortable.

"Well I don't have much but you are welcome to take part in what I do have," he said before he sat on the bed that he used as a couch

"James is majoring in Carpentry," Kadie said taking the empty space on the bed. "Of course, I can't see if that is going to be of any real use to him in the future."

"I can think he will be just fine. if his work is anything like those," Joanna said pointing to the small figurines that adorned James window sill.

"Just a hobby of mine," he said smiling to Joanna. Which she quickly turned away from.

"So have you two heard about the book club?" Kadie asked.

"Yeah, Mrs. Whitaker was asking me to join," Joanna mentioned.

"I must be on the outer loop of that. What club?" James asked.

"A new club they are doing, a book club. Reading, talking about it. Might do you some good for some social interaction."

"Except for you, people tend to be put off by me," James said.

"Well you'll have to learn how to talk to people eventually. And the two of us will be there anyways. Come on. At least to the first meeting?"

"Geeze fine, I'll go!" James sighed. "But I swear if it turns out to be a book about some fake romance that would never actually happen in real life, I'll jump out the window."

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:40 pm
View Likes
deleted221222 says...

“Oi, here’s your shit,” Kyle muttered, throwing a notebook onto the table. “I might be back to borrow it later, ‘kay?”

The student at the table looked at Kyle with distasteful eyes. He had grown accustomed to them. Before they could speak, he turned around and quickly retreated. He had heard enough reluctant ‘thanks’ for a lifetime.

He wandered through the hallways, bumping and shouting into a few others. Finally, he had reached the one isolated place that always seemed to be empty. The windows to the outside showcased a vivid sunset. Watching the orange hues in the distance, Kyle could only curse himself for another failed social interaction.

“Why can’t you ever just say ‘Thank you’ properly,” Kyle thought, banging his head against the glass. His facade was actively trying to ruin his life, he figured out. It wasn’t that he wasn’t able to show his true self. It was more as if he expected himself to act brash and rudely.

“I didn’t expect someone else to be here,” a voice came from behind Kyle, startling him. He hit his head against the glass once more before turning around.

“What’re you doing here, teach?” Kyle asked Ms Whitaker, who held a stack of flyers. Kyle had seen the professor before, but he didn’t have any of her classes.

“I could ask the same thing,” Ms Whitaker replied. “And I prefer not being called ‘teach’.”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever, just tell me why you’re here,” Kyle said. He bit his tongue. The chance he had to ask her name, and he completely gave up on it.

Ms Whitaker took a good look at Kyle as if there were some leftover scraps of food on his face. She took one of the flyers in her arm and handed it over. “I’m just looking to see if anyone wants to join a book club.”

“And why the hell do you think I’d be interested in a book club? I’m not much of a bookworm, you know” Kyle chuckled, before quite literally biting his tongue. Ms Whitaker shook her head and sighed, before beginning to walk off.

“Well, you don’t have to join if you don’t want to. But, it might be good for someone that has a problem communicating with others, if you know any.” With those final words, Ms Whitaker promptly left.

Now alone, Kyle slumped against the wall, breathing a sigh of relief. Once again, he had acted rudely in front of another, and this time it was a professor. The pain from biting his tongue still lingered, but it paled in comparison to the embarrassment he felt.

“A book club, huh?” Kyle muttered, glancing at the flyer in his hands. He barely remembered the last book he had read. Something by Shakespeare for a school assignment. Then again, he did like reading manga. It wasn’t too different, right? He might as well give it a shot. Kyle jumped to his feet, walking quickly away from the hallway before anyone else caught him in his sorry state.

271 Reviews

Reviews: 271
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:28 am
View Likes
Gravity says...

Aidan Tucker

tick, tick tick,

My foot bounced impatiently as I stared at the clock on the wall of the gigantic lecture hall.

tick, tick, tick,

I huffed in frustration. I'd been trying to find my niche, see what I was good at. And the only thing I had gathered from this lecture was that I absolutely was not good at chemistry. And this wasn't even a lab with cool chemicals, it was just a lecture.

"Okay, remember your homework is to read chapter one, pages 15 to 43, and then the first half of chapter two, pages 46 to 58. Make sure you take notes because there's an online quiz due Monday!"

With that I was out of my seat, backpack slung over my shoulder, and out the door. Everybody had certain University Studies requirements they had to take before you could start classes for your major. I had to take a science lecture, so, in the hopes that chemistry might be my thing, I'd signed up. And it was impossible. Atoms, molecules, protons, neutrons, they just bounced around in my head uselessly. I was like one of those matching tests, I knew the words and I knew the definitions, I just couldn't match them together.

I burst out of Mitchell Hall, the hall dedicated to physical sciences (chemistry, geology, physics, etc.) and into the sunshine. We were a few months into the semester so the New York air was chilly with an autumn breeze, but nothing my extra thick hoodie couldn't take care of.

My converse shoes strode quickly along the pavement towards my dorm. I untangled my earbuds as I walked, jamming one end of them into my ear and the other into my phone, blasting the chorus of some hipster indie song nobody ever seemed to know. My head bobbed to the beat as I walked, my hand reaching back to catch the other strap of my book bag to drag it over my shoulder. My thumbs hooked through the bottoms of my backpack straps, steadying it so it wouldn't slam against my back every time I took a step.

Campus was relatively small, but even the smallest college campuses took at least 15 minutes to get across. Mitchell Hall was all the way across campus from my dorm, so it was about a mile. I didn't care at the moment because of the autumn breeze, but winter would be another story.

I was only stopping by my dorm to drop off my book bag, and grab something. So I swiped my student ID at the little door scanner, entered the building, and headed up the stairs to my room on the third floor. An RA was hanging out in one of the common spaces and he nodded his head to me as I walked past. I slid my key into the lock of my door, before pushing it open.

As I stepped in the room, my backpack was flung unceremoniously onto the rumpled, blue comforter, and I grabbed the little yellow paper tab sitting on my somewhat messy desk. I read the address and phone number on the tab, not that it was necessary. I had pulled it off of a flyer on a campus billboard after noticing the restaurant listed in bold letters at the top. It was for a serving job at Cribari's, a really popular Italian restaurant around town. The restaurant I'd been serving at for years let me go because I couldn't work as many hours. I thought I could manage doing college work and actual work like I had in highschool, but after pulling a C on my last chemistry exam and getting a B on a history quiz I really should've aced, enough was enough. Since Cribari's was family owned, I hoped they'd be a little more understanding with hours.

I quickly changed from my Avengers graphic t shirt and black hoodie into a sky blue polo shirt and a nicer navy blue jacket with breast pockets. I put on khaki pants, but kept the converse. I had an interview with the manager of the restaurant, and I hoped to make a good impression.

Almost as quickly as I'd come, I left my room, locking the door behind me. Back down the stairs I went, once again stepping outside. This time, however, I started walking down of the streets leading off campus. The streets were lined with trees sporting fiery reds and oranges as their leaves danced, almost glowing against the blue sky. I turned right at the first busy intersection, the cars and taxi cabs whizzing past me as I walked down the wide sidewalk. There were people on the sidewalk at this time of day, but mostly they were tourists or college kids. The people who actually lived in the city typically weren't out until 5 or 6 at night, when they got out of work. I decided to put an earbud in my ear as I walked, since I wasn't concerned with running into a bunch of people, and listen to a little classic rock. Different music appealed to me at different times but I was pumped for this interview and feeling confident.

After about fifteen minutes of walking, I smelled the familiar scent of oregano, garlic, and cooking oil. Nadia and I had come here a lot with our mother before she passed away, so I felt right applying for a job here, like it was meant to be somehow.

I stopped just outside of the glass door, took a deep breath and walked inside. There was a hostess standing at the podium and she had the trademark italian look: dark, curly brown hair and olive skin, with dark brown eyes.

"Welcome to Cribari's, how many people will be eating with you today?"

"Zero, actually, I'm here to meet with the manager? I'm applying for the weekend server position."

"Okay great, I'll go get Joanna." The hostess left the podium and headed to the back of the restaurant, and I turned my head to look around. Natural sunlight filtered in through the windows, shining light on the booths with the green seat cushions and the dark mahogany tables. Those stained glass lights hung from the ceilings and at night I imagined the ambiance was really relaxed, maybe even a little romantic. A few people sat in the booths, left over from the lunch rush perhaps. The restaurant had a decent amount of people for this time of day, but I was well aware that at the dinner rush, there would be people waiting up to a half hour for a table.

"Hi, my name is Joanna, you must be Aidan." Suddenly there was another girl standing in front of me, holding her hand out. She had dark, wavy hair and wore jeans with a long sleeve black t shirt with "Cribari's" emblazoned across the chest. She sported a matching black beanie and, upon closer inspection, a small tattoo on her hand, which I firmly shook.

"Yes, I'm Aidan," I replied.

"Great, let's sit down at a table over here," she said, leading me towards the back of the restaurant to a booth in the corner. "Can I get you anything to drink? Water?"

"No, I'm fine, thank you," I said, sliding onto the green pleather seat and resting my hands on the table. I read somewhere that keeping your hands visible during a job interview made you seem more trustworthy. I wasn't sure how true that was but I wasn't going to take any chances.

"Okay, so just to clarify, you're Aidan Tucker, you're 29 years old, born June 25th, 1998, correct?"

"Yes, that's correct."

"Great! Okay so I see here on your resume that you worked as a server at a Mexican restaurant a few blocks away from April of 2013 until last month, I was just wondering why your employment was terminated after such working for them for so long."

"I'm actually a freshman at Whineland University, and I thought I could keep working my usual hours while keeping my grades up and I struggled. I was working 40 to 50 hours a week during high school, and actually had a management position there, but college coursework is much more difficult and my grades started failing. I was hoping to work weekends and maybe one weeknight, but they weren't very understanding so they let me go."

"Okay, thank you for your honesty. Would you be comfortable with me following me up with them?" Joanna asked, a little skeptically.

"Oh absolutely, I was a good server and worked hard, unfortunately they just needed someone to work longer hours."

"Great. I actually attend Whineland as well, what major are you?" she asked.

"I'm undecided, I haven't had time to figure out what I'm good at since I worked so much in high school, which is another reason I needed to cut my hours," my leg bounced nervously under the table, hoping my undecided major wouldn't matter that much.

"What would you say is your biggest personality flaw?" Joanna asked.

"Probably that I have a tendency to be indecisive, and trying new things is something that makes me nervous," I was wringing my hands together now, under the table. Personality flaw? What?

"Okay and lastly, what is your biggest personality strength?"

I thought for a minute, "I don't mean to brag, but I'd say I have a lot of strengths. I'm a good server because I'm good with people, and I'm very patient. I'm responsible and observant, and I'm definitely a fast learner."

"Okay Aidan, those are really good traits and you definitely have plenty of experience. Do you still want the job?"

"Yeah, I mean, yes of course. When can I start?" I asked, breathing out a sigh of relief.

"Well, if you come back with me to the kitchen I can get you a few t shirts in your size and your apron, and I can schedule you for a shift Wednesday night if that works for you. I know you said weeknights are not ideal and we do need a weekend server, but I want to make sure you can handle a standard dinner rush." I followed Joanna to the restaurant and she talked me through all my uniform requirements, the kinds of things I'd be responsible for as a server, and the general "You must be on time" spiel. I left with 3 t shirts and my work apron in hand, feeling good about myself.

As I was leaving the interview my phone buzzed with a text from Nadia. It was a picture of a book club flyer. She sent a next text quickly after that one: I know you said you're trying to find your thing, you always liked reading when you were younger. The first book club meeting is tonight and I'm going, want to come with me?

Sounds great! I responded. My thumbs hesitated, and then I typed: I got the Cribari's job!

I saw that Nadia was typing, but it took her a while. She was a little bit more emotional about mom than I was, and while Cribari's never failed to make me smile and remember the happy times with our mother, it made Nadia's lip quiver and her eyes well up with tears. Nadia was in the car with Mom when it happened, so it made sense that she'd be more emotional than I was. I loved our mom, don't get me wrong, but I hadn't been there with her when she died. I didn't have to relive that.

I'm so proud of you. Mom would be, too," read Nadia's text, which finally came a few minutes later. I sent a smiley face, and then locked my phone, music blaring in my ears as I headed back to campus.

Spoiler! :
And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs,
And prayers and proclamations

-Florence + The Machine (All This and Heaven Too)

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:36 am
View Likes
JustJasper says...

Olivia Bradshaw

Rules were made to be broken. However I don’t think campus security found that an acceptable reason to be skateboarding across the quad to my 8:00 class. I picked up my board and sprinted around the corner and dove into a thick bush moments before the guard rounded the corner. Thankfully he kept running and I was able to soundlessly open the door to the science building and slip inside.

The rule must have been made by some stuffy dude at least 50 years ago therefore it was poetic justice that an intellectual such as myself should break it. I giggled at the thought and put my things against the wall of the chem lab. Today the lab was about salt reactions. Even though they were interesting I couldn’t listen to a word the professor said. I had already read everything about them so I doodled in my lab notebook trying not to look as bored as I felt.

“Olivia?” Professor Dominick said raising his eyebrows, “can you balance this equation please?” He pointed to the problem on the whiteboard.

I glanced at it and back at him again.

“It shouldn’t be a problem if you have been paying attention,” he chided.

A few older students giggled. Slowly I stood up and grabbed a red marker. I didn’t say anything as I wrote the answer under the formula. I knew such a difficult equation was not meant for this class and I hoped I could earn some extra credit. When I finished I went and sat back in my seat.

“Very good...” my professor said before continuing his lecture.

I expected him to ask me a question or two after class but I didn’t expect a full blown conversation. Carefully I put down my skateboard and took out an earbud.

“What now?” I asked.

“You should be in a much higher class. If you take this placement test I can still have you moved before the drop date for my class with no extra fees. If you could handle that equation you should be able to place.” He informed me enthusiastically.

I had not even been sure he was capable of emotion.

“Um of course I’m interested!” I chocked out. Hurriedly I typed out the details into a note on my phone and skated to the testing center. It didn’t take long to make an appointment for the afternoon. Shockingly enough there was plenty of open slots.

Grinning madly I started walking toward the library. I paused in front of a bulletin board that practically screamed the announcements in massive green letters. I scanned the flyers hoping to find something interesting to do later since I still didn’t know anyone at the school.

Book club looked pretty good. Maybe I’d be able to make some friends.
Why do we capital-N Nerds love Mars so much?
Because it's beautiful, it's tough, it's buried in our mythic, childhood memories.
It's covered with human triumphs but also with sad stories of failure.

-Greg Bear

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:49 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

Beowulf

From inside a small crate on the walkway of Central Park, a mobster jumps out, shooting at the passerby. He shoots them finger-guns, with felt fingers that are only an inch long. He is also a puppet.

“You there! Whaddaya think you’re doing, just walking by me, huh! Ain’t I got a right to words?” Nico the Mobster, certified puppet-crime boss, calls out to a mother and child.

The mother’s eyes widen, and she starts walking faster. But the son ambles closer, to which Nico reacts.

“Ah, I see you’re the kind to listen when the little guy talks. That’s good, eh? Never lose that.” Nico nods sagely. “Say, what’s your name, kid?”

“Hayden,” the boy responds innocently, then looks up as his mother tugs him, urging him away.

“Hey, I’m walking here!” Nico shouts, then pauses. “Eh, working, not walking. I, ah, don’t have legs.”

“Your hat looks kind of funny,” Hayden says. “Why don’t you get a new one?”

“Ey. We ain’t got that kind of funding, capiche? Times are tough in the acting industry! ...Eh, not that I’m acting,” Nico amends.

Hayden’s eyes widen with worry. “That’s terrible!”

“You feel bad? I tell you, they couldn’t even give me a lower half!” That earns a chuckle from the mother.

“Well, it ain’t like I can complain. They just don’t understand me here in New York. It ain’t as funny scary like it used to be; all the gangs have downsized. Eh - mine especially,” he adds, remembering that he is a two-foot tall puppet. A few laughs, echoed by the increasing number of who have stopped to watch the puppet show. In that brief pause, another figure rises from the crate.

This second puppet is adorned with slick black hair, a studded jacket, and and dark sunglasses. His chin juts forward as he asserts himself on the stage, rising to full height. Nico recognizes him immediately, and his jaw drops.

“Oh - my - risotto. Elvis Presley!”

“Oh yeah.” Elvis shakes his hips. “It’s me, baby-uh. And I’ve got a song for y’all.

“One-two-three-four - You ain’t nothin’ but a hound dog!” Nico and Elvis bop back and forth, mouths wide with joy. Slowly, more people begin to gather. Coins bounce in a small pan set up to collect tips as the puppets swing back and forth with boundless energy.

Suddenly, disaster strikes. The stick supporting Elvis’ body breaks off, and he tumbles into Nico, the song sputtering to a halt.

“Elvis!” Nico screams, holding him up. “No!”

Elvis trembles, reaching to the sky with one felt hand. “Can you hear it? They’re playing my song...up in that Heartbreak Hotel.”

Nico shakes his head, sobbing. “You can’t leave now. It’s too soon!”

Elvis’s eyes seem to dim. “Thankyou...thankyaverymuch.” He slips out of Nico’s arms and back into the box. “Elvis has left the building.”

“Why!” Nico roars, waggling his puppet arms to the heavens. “Were you so selfish that you had to take this man so young? Is this the act of a kind god?”

Weeping, he shakes his head as he descends into the darkness of the crate.

There is a stunned silence from all of the assembled crowd. After a few seconds, the door in the side of the crate opens, a man rolls silently out of it. That man wears a heavy scarf, and a heavier expression. That man, curled up into a tactical ball, is me.

The onlookers stand still as I unfold and stand up, towering over them. I walk over and pick up the pan, which has accrued quite the number of coins. I bow wordlessly to these people, making eye contact with Hayden, who looks like he’s about to have a mental breakdown.

Without a word, I walk back to the crate, hoist it onto my back, and head home.

--------------------------

Sitting on the bed in my dorm room, I count out the coins on a small desk. They are my performance quantified to profit. Each row of glinting silver fills me with pride; I am filled with pride only once by today’s earnings.

$5.23. Enough to buy two ramen packets, or a new spine for Elvis. I glance over at the fallen star, whose parts are strewn across the bed next to me. The mechanism I had implemented for precision movements overbalanced the strength of the support stick; as a result, when I swayed Nico and Elvis back and forth, it snapped messily inside him.

I lean back on the bed, wondering if there is a way to reduce the lever’s weight. Then again, a simpler answer is not to design such complicated puppets. But then, what of my dream? What of the jamboree I have planned for children just like Hayden to see and enjoy? It is no longstanding wish of mine, but it is sincere. For my own childhood was-

“God, god damn it.” I look up to see my roommate, Kyle, slamming the door shut. He thumps the wall once, then notices me. “You’re back, huh? Thought you’d still be out on Sesame Street,” he sneers.

I shake my head gravely. “The death of a legend has forced me to retire.” I reach down onto the bed, pulling out Elvis’s broken support stick. “This is not the balsa wood I asked you to buy.”

Kyle grits his teeth and averts his eyes. “Wood is wood.”

“Kyle, I gave you money to-”

“And I gave you wood!” Kyle snaps, the sound bouncing off of the walls.

I hold up the stick. “Kyle, this is clearly a chopstick.”

At this, he flushes, and turns away. Doubtless, now would be a poor time to mention that he just yelled he gave me wood. So instead, I focus my attention on the paper that he’s gripping in his fist. “What is that?”

Kyle opens his palm. “What, this? It’s a flyer for some book club. Was thinking you’d fit in there. Maybe I’d go too. I dunno. Shut up. You Fraggle Rock munchkin.” He tosses the flyer onto my desk, then swipes up some coins. “I’m going out.”

I nod silently after him. As the door slams shut, I look back at my money. I can now afford only one ramen packet.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

15 Reviews

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:33 pm
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Adam Hersch

“Mr. Hersch, I don’t know what to tell you anymore. We are almost halfway through the first semester and I’ve only recalled seeing you in this lecture at most 4 or 5 times.” Across from me, my calculus professor taps his pencil disapprovingly against the wooden desk sitting between us. The other hand is massaging his temple to further make the point that I've clearly disappointed him. “You failed your first exam, and the only reason you're not completely screwed for the rest of the semester is because of the weight.”

“Glad I’m not the only idiot in class.” I say popping my knuckles.

“That's not the- Look Adam, it’s not my job to take care of you or to parent you. And to be completely honest, I don’t know why I am.

“So then, why am I here? I’m assuming the biggest influence is my step dad but I’ll avoid saying anything for the chance that I may offend your character.”

“Adam, the point is that your future is at stake.” He continues ignoring my comment. “And, if you dont spend more of your energies towards succeeding and being a valuable member of society then you will end up wasting your own time and money.”

“Isn’t that my choice?”

“That’s what they want you to think.” He now stands walking towards the window. “I’m placing you under academic probation for the next two months. The conditions require you to attend regulated study sessions, and to join an academic club. I consulted with some club sponsors and Mrs. Whitaker took some interest. She has suggested book club for you.”

“Book club? You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“I’m going to keep it simple for you Mr. Hersch. You either fall in line and get your act together, or you drop out. You father-”

“Step father.” I interrupt.

“Your step father, cannot help you out of this situation this time. I suggest you at least try. You owe yourself that.” He gestures to the door. “Now please get out of my office.”

“Screw this.” I breathe heading for the door.
-------------------------------------------

“Ready to go?” Connor looked at me from the reflection in the mirror as he adjusted his flannel.

“Where?” I sigh flipping through the pages of some Walt Whitman collection book my dad sent me in the mail last week.

“Are you serious? Dude, I’m talking about that party tonight.” He reminds me grabbing a can of axe from his nearby dresser. He presses the top letting the aerosol spew out for a solid 30 seconds.I lay the book down on my chest raising an eyebrow.

“I thought we stopped talking about it.” I sniff the air dramatically. “And for god’s sake cut back on the body spray. You’re gonna kill anyone within a 2 mile radius.” Wide eyed he stops spraying and turns to me with a frustrated expression.

“Come on! It’s apart of the college experience!” He whines grabbing a new shirt from his closet.

“Since when does our experience not consist of doing what everyone else is doing? We could honestly do anything else. Pizza, video games, or we could even go to a bar. Why do we have to go to some shitty frat party?” I sit up running my fingers through my hair.

“Because we never do.” He falls onto his rolly chair spinning towards me. “Man, we can’t look back some day and admit we never partied in college. That’s like a crime.”

“No it’s a choice. Besides I have to get up early tomorrow for some stupid book club that Mrs. Whitaker and Mr. Jackson are making me attend as blackmail.”

“I’m not going to ask, but you can count me in. Because you know I’d follow you anywhere….Because we’re best friends…And we’d do anything for each other...even if it meant the other person would ‘supposedly’ suffer…”

“Wow, you’re really hung up on this…Let me guess it’s about a girl. Because, as far as I know you never turn down pizza unless there is a girl involved. And don’t even try to contradict me because you are a terrible liar.” I turn to him seeing his mouth open to what I know could only be his attempt at thinking of some counter evidence for me. But I don’t give him the chance. “Remember that one time you begged me to join the quidditch team for a girl who turned out to be a total psychopath?” Grabbing his head he groans, clearly thinking up some old traumatic memories.

“God, don’t remind me...But hey! You have to admit besides her, those guys were awesome!” He says trying to redeem his mistakes.

“That’s not the point.” I throw on a black hoodie, and turn back towards my bed. “Are you seriously begging on your fucking knees right now?”

“Come on dude! I promise it’ll be fun.” His last attempt to convince me.

“This is pitiful, but fine.” He jumps up excitedly, going for an extra bit of axe. “You’re lucky that as far as I know there isn’t a girl with a golden snitch fetish involved. Or else, I’d be out.” I pull the axe from his hand and slammed it down on the dresser. “And stop spraying axe everywhere!”

“This is going to be great!”
--------------------------------------------------
This is not great.

It’s only 12:45 and I already want to go back to the dorms. Connor is off doing god knows what with god knows who, and I’m out on the porch trying to block out the terrible music choices currently pounding in my ear drums. At my right a couple makes out on an old lawn chair, and on my left is an empty keg with a mountain of solo cups piled next to it. My own solo cup sits patiently in front of me on the ledge just waiting to be used. I roll my eyes.

“God dammit Connor…” I reach for my pocket to grab a freshly rolled cigarette from its tin. I lift the cigarette and place it between my lips as I go to grab a lighter with my other hand. I lift it to my mouth and take a few quick breaths as the tip glows ember. I take a long draw pulling the warm smoke into my lungs. I breathe out feeling the instant satisfaction of nicotine’s lovely brain chemicals.

Once again I look to my right, and the couple is now gone. They must have gone to look for somewhere more private away from the chill of the night air. When I look to my left I see a girl leaning near the empty keg with her phone in one hand and a cup in the other. I stare at her for a moment trying to register where I’ve seen her before. She’s Connor’s friend.

What was her name again? Kelly? Kara?

Suddenly, she looks up and I turn away taking in another breath of smoke. I expect her gaze to come and go, but it doesn’t instead she stares at me for a long moment before I speak up.

“Did your mother ever tell you it wasn’t polite to stare?” I ask not bothering to look at her.

“Yes, but I do think I noticed you looking first.”

“Way to call me out.” I now look at her. “To be completely honest I was trying to determine how I know you.”

“It’s Kadie...Kat… I know Connor.”

“Oh I know. We also have Literature together right?” I chuckle. “Connor talks about you quite a bit. He’s urged me to try and talk to you because I don’t know anyone else. I tried a few times after class but you always run off.” Pink floods her cheeks as she curses something under her breath. I brush it off assuming it’s the alcohol.

“This beer tastes like shit.” She coughs changing the topic.

“Yeah. Can’t exactly rely on a frat house to provide a good German beer, or even a decent Heineken.” She smiles which for some reason makes me smile to. “You wanna smoke?” I say reaching for my pocket. I open the tin and gesture for her to take a cigarette.

“Uh no thanks. I’m not really into joints. Makes me paranoid.” I laugh quickly and her eyes get really wide as if she said something offensive.

“Kadie it’s not weed. They’re cigarettes.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yes.” I laugh again. “Besides I’m not into joints either.”

“Okay um, well let's just rewind the past 30 seconds and pretend I didn’t just completely embarrass myself.”

“Easy mistake.” I gesture again. “The offer still stands.”

“Thanks.” She steps towards me taking the spot next to me on the ledge of the porch. “Anything to make this beer more bearable.”

And for the rest of that party, I actually started to enjoy myself.

15 Reviews

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:28 pm
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

24 Hours Later...

Joanna Cribari

“Well then, shall we get started?” I look across the room and no one moves. You could feel the mix of fear and intrigue in the room as if it was a slap to the face. It hit unexpectedly and now a strange buzz lingers.”Good. Any questions?” For a few moments nobody moves. That is, until Kadie reluctantly raises her hand. She nods to Kadie giving her the go to speak.

“With all do respect Mrs. Whitaker, you can’t blame us if we are a little...apprehensive. I saw the words and the pictures shift in front of me, but it still seems like we’re being punked.”

“This is bullshit.” We all turn to Kyle who now speaks up. “You can’t seriously expect us to believe your crap. So what, the books changed. Technology could have easily pulled this off.”

“I understand your skepticism Mr. Steele.” She sighs. “I was much like you when magic was first revealed to me.”

“I guess what we are all probably thinking, is that we just want some proof.” I say reluctantly. Everyone looks to me knowing what my comment now means. Either this is real or we all go home feeling angry and stupid. My grip tightens on the book. A part of me prays this isn’t just a joke.

“You want proof?” She laughs standing now. “I was planning on getting to that after questions were finished.” She smiles turning from us. She places her hands out and begins to twist and fold her hands in shapes and patterns.

Then without warning, a burst of light expands from her palms filling the room with soft orbs of light I could easily mistake as stars. Some of us jump out of our seats while others remain seated taking in what was appearing in front of us. I slowly lift my hand to one of the lights floating nearby. It falls into my hand and bounces away filling my body with a strange energy and warmth.

As quickly as they were here, then they were suddenly gone as Mrs. Whitaker closed her palms.

“Believe me now?” We all nod sitting up straighter. “Good. Welcome to Magic 101” Mrs. Whitaker sits down again and rests her elbows against her knees.

“In the world of magic, we are known as wielders. We able to control all areas of magic, but it is our specialties that make us unique or more powerful compared to others like us.” She waves her hands to reveal a few objects on the table in front of us. On top sits a deck of worn cards, a wooden box, a clear glass orb, a small plant, a blank journal, and a ring with a pale blue stone. “These object each represent the 6 specialities of magic. Physical, Psychic, Illusions, Natural, Knowledge, and Healing.”

“How do we know that we’ll even be able to wield magic?” Connor asks from the chair beside me.

“The book.” She points to the copies in front of each one of us. “The book only reveals itself to magic wielders. You would not be holding it right now if you did not have the potential to wield magic. It will be your textbook, your journal, and your guardian all wrapped into one. The tales of Labyrinth was only the beginning.”

“One of these 6 items will also choose you from in some way. For physical, the cards will create a shape in the air. For psychic, the wooden box will speak to you. For illusion, the glass orb will reveal something you desire or morph into something you desire. For natural, the plant will grow at an accelerated and healthy rate. For knowledge, the journal will reveal ancient texts to you. And lastly for healing, the ring will glow similar to the orbs I showed you earlier.”

“The book and objects will lead you to your specialty. When that comes or how that comes is what we must determine in your first few lessons.” She stands once again walking to the whiteboard. “Which reminds me. This first week, your assignment this week is to find your specialty. How it reveals itself to you is very ceremonial and unexpected. Your magic has been shielded for so long some of you are just waiting to explode. So I implore you to be careful for these first few weeks. The books and I will be there to guide you the whole way, but for now the rest is up to you. Don’t be discouraged if yours takes longer than others. It’s all apart of the process.”

“This is insane.” Adam mumbles under his breath.

“Yes it is Mr. Hersch. It is quite insane.” The items begin to float on the table. “Now let’s make some magic. Who’s first?”

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:20 am
View Likes
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

James Clover

Magic...Seriously? James had already heard enough, granted the words did move and shift. But they did that when he stared at his history textbook after cramming for the final the next day. It was nothing new. James was about ready to get up and walk out right then and there...until mention of proof came up.

Folding his arms over his chest and a smirk spreading over her features as he spoke, "This ought to be good." Skepticism was probably his greatest emotion...at first.

With the sudden explosion of light and the orbs hanging in the air, it was fair to say that Mrs. Whitaker had managed to gain everyone's attention and belief. She began explaining how they were wielders and that everyone had access to the same magic as well as their specific specialty. Looking around he tried to figure out what everyone's specialty could be. Then again, he wasn't really sure if he had anything that would be special. Generally he was an average person with an average set of skills.

Nothing special.

"Who'e first?" Mrs. Whitaker asked. Suddenly she had locked her eyes on James.

Uh...oh he thought.

"How about you, James? You haven't said anything this whole time. How about you give it a go?"

With a sigh he got up and walked to the table. Looking over the items he decided he would start with the plant, after all he was studying carpentry. It would make sense that his specialty would be with plants. And having the ability to grow trees without buying them could help him out financially in the future.

He lifted the plant up expecting something to happen. He thought he began to see something...a shaking of leaves....but it was nothing. Just his own hands waiting in anticipation.

Figures, he thought. Couldn't be that easy.

He set the plant down and picked up the ring. Putting it on and off he tried to make it do something...anything. He could see the rest of the group staring at him, both with apprehension and curiosity. It just made James anxious.

Setting the ring down again he flipped through the journal. Just more nonsense on yet blank pages.

"Maybe he doesn't have a specialty," he could hear Kyle remark at the back. Just another voice that matched the one that was already telling him that inside.

With a frustrated huff he tossed the old book down and slammed his hand on the table. "This is ridiculous. Do you honestly expect something to just happen when none of us have a clue of what to do? This whole thing is rigged!'

Grabbing the deck of cards he threw them as hard as he could.

Gasps of wonder sounded around the area as the cards would scatter and freeze in the air...like it were some pivotal scene in a film. They slowly spun around before they shaped into a sword...hammer...no a glove....wait...a bow....What the hell?

"I thought it was only supposed to be a single shape," Kadie said.

"Magic can be a little unpredictable. It seems that James' magic will likely come in a physical path. Keep going James...I have a hunch," Mrs. Whitaker said a smirk on her face.

James swallowed as he nodded his hands a little more hesitant to be touching things. Looking at the glass orb, he could already tell that it didn't have anything for him. Just a feeling.

Then there was the box. The one item on that table that made him feel anxious. As soon as he touched the box there was a flood of noise. It hurt so bad he held his head and grit his teeth trying to ease it.

"Seriously? This kid is the one we get drawn to?" James heard from over by Kyle again.

"Look you ass, I'm getting tired of your mou...." James looked up and his eyes widened suddenly. Beside Kyle and peppered throughout the room were several individuals that he knew for a fact weren't there before. "Where the hell did all you come from?"

"What are you talking about?" Adam inquired.

"Do you guys seriously not see the mass of people that just...No...no not again," James said muttering off as he stormed quickly for the door.

"Everyone wait here. I'll be back," Mrs. Whitaker quickly said before catching up to James outside the door. "James it's alright. It can be unnerving the first..."

"You don't fucking get it!" James roared at her. "I...I can't do this. I have to get away from here. I can't be seeing them again!"

"Seeing who again?"

James paused a moment unsure if he should confide in her. The last time he confided in someone...he was placed in a padded room. But...she was someone that dealt with magic...maybe she was different.

"People who aren't there. People that no one else can see or hear."

"You suddenly saw people in the room after you touched that box?" James slowly nodded as he leaned against the wall and let himself drop to the ground. "James it's okay. You aren't crazy."

"Yeah...tell that to the three shrinks that demanded I get put in a mental hospital for being nuts."

"James...the psychic class of magic can have many different parts to it. One of them is the ability to communicate with the dead. That coupled with the reaction with the physical path makes me think that they might be linked. It's something we'll have to explore. It won't be easy, but I promise you we will figure it out."

James took a moment to calm himself as he took a deep breath. "You really don't think I'm crazy?"

"I will never call you that. You're among friends now. It's okay."

She managed to finally convince him to come back to the classroom. Taking a seat by Kadie, the only person he really knew as he just held his head. He just focused on the tile. Counting the specks in it, not because of boredom or the fact that everyone else now needed a turn, but from the fact that those invisible people were still there...

And they were staring right at him.

267 Reviews

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:35 pm
View Likes
Nike says...

Connor Krzysztof Puth

Before I could head to the party, I had Mrs. Whitaker stop me after class. She had a conccerened look on her face, making me very aware of how I've behaved in class for the passed semester. I slipped my ear phones off and leaned against the hallway wall, giving her my full attention.

"Mr. Puth, you've been a very interesting character to have in my class, very to yourself, but still manage to cause ruckus." She started, folding her arms over her chest. "That's why I think this may help you focus on something." And as she said this, she handed me a flyer.

Taking it into my hands, I read 'Book Club'. I stifled a laugh, giving her a grin. "I'm sorry Mrs. Whitaker but, I don't read as much as the average student."

She smiled, as if what I said didn't matter, "Connor, this isn't just book club. You'll be able to be with your friends and learn a few extra things that will help you through life."

Raising my eyebrow, I looked back at the flyer. I hated reading, what. Looking back at her, I could read her eyes, and that changed my mind. She seemed so sincere, like she knew this would help me. I couldn't tell her no. I'd give it a shot, and then prove to her this was wrong.

"Fine, I'll go."

The music was crazy and I could barely tell what was up and what was down. Alcohol had replaced my blood as I danced about, hitting up each person like everyone was my best friend. My best friend... where was he?

I took a turn through the living room, trying to find the exit. If Adam wasn't inside, then he was smoking. And if he was smoking, I think I want to catch a drag. I wandered trhough the house, passing the drunks and the highs and the inbetweeners. That's when I caught sight of the back door that lead toward the porch. But before I slid the door open, I saw Kadie with Adam, talking. Somehow this got me a bit sober and I knew I couldn't go to them.

She had a smile that no one could mistake for being anything other than love and he seemed genuinly interested in her. I've never seen him look at a girl like that, like she was the only one there. Damn, you go Kadie.

"Connor?" Someone tapped my shoulder.

I turned back and saw James with his fire red hair and fire red eyes. Guess who was drunk? "James, whaddup?"

"Is Kadie there? I need to head home and she's my ride."

Taking a minute, I sighed. I couldn't let her leave yet... Adam deserves to talk to someone for a bit... or to get it in, however and whatever happens.

"Nah man, ask someone else to drive you. I think she went home."

“Believe me now?”

What... what was going on? Mrs. Whitaker had orbs swarm from her hands to the whole room, engulfing it in light. We all sat up straighter and nodded.

“Good. Welcome to Magic 101” Mrs. Whitaker sits down again and rests her elbows against her knees.

“In the world of magic, we are known as wielders. We able to control all areas of magic, but it is our specialties that make us unique or more powerful compared to others like us.” She waves her hands to reveal a few objects on the table in front of us. On top sits a deck of worn cards, a wooden box, a clear glass orb, a small plant, a blank journal, and a ring with a pale blue stone. “These object each represent the 6 specialities of magic. Physical, Psychic, Illusions, Natural, Knowledge, and Healing.”

“How do we know that we’ll even be able to wield magic?” I questioned, feeling as if maybe I wasn't one.

“The book.” She pointed to the book we had. “The book only reveals itself to magic wielders. You would not be holding it right now if you did not have the potential to wield magic. It will be your textbook, your journal, and your guardian all wrapped into one. The tales of Labyrinth was only the beginning.”

A book... was this all really real? I've got to be dreaming, I mean come on, magic? What are we, Harry Potter? My head could not wrap around this. I had to be dreaming... there's no such thing as magic. It's not possible. When will I wake up?

As the class went on, it got weirder and weirder. And then it was my turn, my turn to show some magic. I was ready to wake up what the hell, this all feels too real. Maybe because I had to stop being in denial and admit, this is real.

Mrs. Whitaker had me put on a ring just after James' turn. I looked over the room as I got up, nodding at Adam. I think he was as freaked as I was. I walked over to her and she smiled at me. Looking over at the table in front of me, I saw a few items. The box was there, untouched, next to a pile of cards. I picked up the box, feeling its weight against my hands. It glistened from the florescent lights, almost telling me it would help me discover something, wondering if I'll wake from this strange dream realize that this was all real.

I waited for a second, watching the box rest in my hands. The whole room sat tense, watching me. I swallowed hard again, looking over at Mrs. Whitaker.

"Nothing is happening." I huffed.

She smiled sweetly, "You have to let it happen, you have to let yourself believe that this is all real Connor."

Taking a deep breathe, I shut my eyes, imagining that the box was opening something up in me. Whatever it was, magic or not. It had to do something to me. It had to... this had to be real...

Flashes of moments flew through my mind, my childhood, my present, and... my furture? All these pictures, videos, danced in my mind, until it stopped on one. There was Adam, he was on his bed, talking on his phone with the hugest grin on his face. And then it was gone, disappeared, and I saw black. Opening my eyes, I saw the class wide eyed.

"What happened, Connor?" Mrs. Whitaker asked. "You had an energy protecting you for a few minutes... tell us your experience."

"I think, I think." I paused, playing with the lid of the box. "I think I saw the future."
Last edited by Nike on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

267 Reviews

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:10 am
View Likes
Nike says...

Kadie Francisa Wilheim

“Kadie it’s not weed. They’re cigarettes.”

Well, fuck... I just had to make myself look stupid in front of Adam.

“Are you serious?” I blushed.

“Yes.” He laughed. “Besides I’m not into joints either.”

Crossing my arms over my chest, I avoided his gaze. “Okay um, well let's just rewind the past 30 seconds and pretend I didn’t just completely embarrass myself.”

Managing to look back at him, he replied. “Easy mistake. The offer still stands.”

“Thanks.” I smile, stepping towards the ledge. “Anything to make this beer more bearable.”

He handed me the cigarette, its end lit a bright red. I took it between my thumb and finger, placing it between my lips. Sucking onto the paper, it felt a rush of nicotine fill my mouth, a bit seeping into my lungs. Letting it out, I watched the smoke fly up into the air around us. He gave me a soft smile, a smile that made my heart race.

"Any more bearable?" He asked, sarcasm licking his words.

Shaking my head, I smiled back at him and passed the cigarette back. "Just a little,"

He took it back and took a drag. The party behind us was still at large, music blasted so loud we could hear it out here. Turning on my heel, I leaned against the porch, looking at the living room through the sliding doors. Connor was on the couch, hitting up some girl I couldn't pin the name to her. I tapped Adam's shoulder and nodded towards the house so he could look.

"Connor, jeez." He cringed, dragging the cigarette. "He's a good flirt when he's not loaded on endless shots."

Looking up at him, I rose an eyebrow. "He's not a good flirt Adam," I laughed. "He's just a good guy but he can't land a girl to save his life."

"Oh?" He questioned, passing the cigarette back to me.

My heart jumped to my throat as our eyes met. I knew he couldn't see it, but I did, because I was the one with the crush and he wasn't. That tension that begged for me to close the gap between us. I couldn't.

"Duh, Adam. I know he is a good guy, I talk to him." I took a quick drag, enjoying every big of tobacco that lingered on my lips. "But if he would just learn to flirt a little... maybe some girl would give him a chance, and he's not bad looking either."

He laughed, looking from Connor to me. "Not bad looking, want me to put in a good word for you?"

Shaking my head, I took another drag. "Absolutely not! No! He's awesome --just not my type!"

Laughing again, he took the cigarette back from me and crushed it under his shoe. "You're pretty funny, maybe he will give you a chance."

His smirk sent tingles all over my body. "Stop Adam!" I laughed, playfully hitting his arm. "Not for me, maybe for that girl."

After James was up in front of us, I couldn't help but worry. He saw people we couldn't see. He saw the dead? Invisible people? I don't know... I just need to be there for him as much as I can. And if that Kyle kid speaks up again, I will punch him so hard that his eyes will meet his ass.

I patted James' back, looking over the class. He had his head in his hands as he took a few deep breaths. I watched as Connor discovered his potential in foreseeing the future, his eyes even glowed a light blue as he opened them. They went back to normal after he was done.

"Mister Puth, you have the potential to see the future, what did you see?" Mrs. Whitaker had asked.

"Uh, I --I really don't want to say," he faced Mrs. Whitaker, "I don't want to jinx it..."

"How can you jinx it if you saw it happen and it's the future?" Some kid from behind me had asked, I'm assuming Kyle.

Connor rolled his eyes, "Look dude, I really don't want to, okay?" He paused a moment. "Respect that?"

Mrs. Whitaker walked over to Connor and placed her hand on his shoulder. "You have more to discover, don't waste time arguing."

"What, what do you mean?"

She took his hand, and squeezed it into a fist. "Focus some more on the box Connor..."

He shut his eyes again, focusing on God knows what. Mrs. Whitaker pulled away, giving his some space. A field started to form around him, a light blue oura circled his body. Then, just as fast as it came, it left. He opened his eyes, wide, as if he got electrocuted.

"Mrs. Whitaker!" He gasped, looking over at the class. "I traveled time!"

"What?" I shook my head. "How can you prove that?"

Smirking, he replied. "Think back to last night."

"If you changed something, I wouldn't be able to tell Connor..." I huffed.

"Yeah dude." Adam chimed in.

Connor shook his head and took his seat next to Adam. Smiling down at James who had finally sat back up, I walked to the front of the class.

"Tell me if you remember something funny, then come back to me with accusations that I'm lying Kat." Connor said with a smile.

I shook my head, "Alright Puth," I looked over the table, finding the cards. They were for Physical Magic. Maybe that was me? The cards drew me in. I picked one of them up, feeling the cool pper brush against my skin. I looked over at Mrs. Whitaker who had taken a seat next to Joanna, who was smiling at me encouragingly The teens stared up at me, suddenly making me realize maybe I should not wear sweats everyday.

"Okay Kadie, tell me what you feel. Focus on the card."

Swallowing hard, I looked at the piece of paper in my hand. It shined up at me, trying to search my soul for some force. What if I didn't have magic? What if I was a flop? I swallowed again and pushed my anxiety. I had to do this. Why would I be here if I didn't have powers? She wouldn't fuck up like that.

I took a deep breath and focused, imagining a force like Connor's jumping around me. A rush of wind blew around me, as tingles spread through my body. I looked up and saw small shards of lightning hit my skin, or rather jump from my skin. I gasped, unsure how to take it. I looked over at the room and saw a few of the people with their jaws dropped. My heart rushed as I tried to walk, only resulting in running, running faster than I have ever before.

My feet had pulled me from the front of the room to the back in .2 seconds. I smiled as I halted, unable to believe I had just done that.

"Holy shit," I gasped.
Last edited by Nike on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:58 am
View Likes
deleted221222 says...

Kyle Steele

Kyle tried to bite his tongue as hard as he could. The pain would be easier than handling the gaze of everyone in the room as he continued to spout his mouth off. Even magic itself wasn’t enough to distract him from his embarrassment.

Well, that wasn’t entirely true. Watching James gave him a spook, but watching Connor and Kadie show off their powers was tempting. It was like the plot of a comic that got cancelled halfway through.

The room was silent as no one else decided to go up. Maybe they were as scared as Kyle. Maybe they were hesitant. After all, the three that had tested had gotten at least glimpses of their power right off the bat. What if the next one to go up fails. As long as he didn’t have to be next, it would be fine…

“Guess I’ll try next. It can’t be that hard, right?” Kyle announced, getting up from his seat. His inner voice was screaming at the top of its imaginary lungs. Everyone’s gaze was on him. Most of them were condescending, he could feel. Beowulf’s was a bit nicer, but he was probably still annoyed that he had gotten a chopstick instead of proper balsa wood.

Kyle sauntered up to the table, inspecting each of the objects in front of him. The fact they were floating just bothered him in a way. When he stood in front of them all, they lacked a reaction. Maybe he had to touch them?

If I remember correctly, the cards were physical magic, Kyle thought. Something like strength or speed, probably. Just like a superhero. He eagerly picked one of the cards from the floating pile. Nothing happened. Kyle nonchalantly tossed the card back inside, though his cheeks heated up.

Maybe the box? Psychic powers sound cool, Kyle though again. He picked it up in one arm. It also had a lack of a reaction. A cough came from someone behind him.

The Glass Orb? No reaction. The book? Blank as a fresh blanket of snow. The ring has to work. Absolutely nothing.

The plant was the only one left, hovering ominously in the air. Whitaker had said it represented Natural magic. Kyle had no idea what it was, but it sounded boring compared to everything else. He couldn’t imagine that being his power. Reaching forward, he touching the plant’s flower lightly.

No reaction.

Kyle’s heart sank as he realized nothing worked. He had walked up, pretending all of this to be a walk in the park. All he had now was a lack of magic and a bright red face. When Whitaker had mentioned all this, he had believed that it would be like one of his favourite stories. Now, he was experiencing the grim realization for the second time.

“Well, it’s not like everyone would have the same disposition,” Whitaker said, patting Kyle on the back. He shrugged it off, before turning to face his peers. He just wanted to walk to the door and leave the room forever.

“I mean, better luck next time?” Keira shrugged. Now Kyle wanted to run away at a full sprint.

“Guess it wasn’t easy for you, huh?” Adam commented next. Kyle would’ve jumped through a window if he could.

“Are you okay?” Beowulf asked. Something started to spark within Kyle. The same feeling he would always try and repress. The same feeling that would always shout out when he didn’t want to.

“How about you all shut up!” Kyle shouted at the room, slamming his hand on the table. “You’re all pitying me. Three successes and one dud. You all think I’m a fucking failure. Well, guess what? I’ll figure out what my magic is, I’ll figure out how to abuse it, I’ll figure out how to come out on top! I’m going to be the one on top here!”

Kyle’s facade. His coping mechanism for dealing with all the stress of everyday life. It acted overly brash and bold, but in truth, it just equalized Kyle’s shyness and quietness. A personality created from all the shows and comics he had read over the years. He bit his tongue. A few of his peers’ faces cringed a bit from his stupid rant. His facade was a blessing and a curse for him.

Confusion and a little disgust filled their faces. They all changed to those of shock as they looked behind Kyle. He wondered what was the reason for their change until he could feel something brush against his neck.

Looking back, Kyle could see the potted plant, once tiny and insignificant, now grown into a full bush filled with colourful flowers. Its size took over the entire table, taking up the space of the other objects that floated away. The plant’s stem was thick and sturdy and expanded into hundreds of smaller vines.

Whitaker whistled to herself while everyone else was in shock. The embarrassment Kyle had felt while he looked upon the beautiful plant seemed to wash away. His facade sparked up one last time, and for the first time in a while, he didn’t try to repress it. A smile grew on his face. “Fucking finally.”

I was weeping as much for him as her; we do sometimes pity creatures that have none of the feeling either for themselves or others.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights