Young Writers Society

Black Flags and Blue Waters

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:13 am
View Likes
Vellichor says...

In the Year of Our Lord, 1714

The world is a tumultuous place, especially so in the otherwise idyllic waters and sandy beaches of the Caribbean, where though the Treaty of Utrecht has ended the War of the Spanish Succession, tensions run high between all sailors. Some have come for glory or in defense of their home countries, others for profit and others still for power and fame. Whatever their goals, all who sail in the West-Indies Sea know the world is changing, and they intend to make themselves part of that change...

The Caribbean being as dangerous as it is, you're likely to have friends or at least allies. Who you choose to fight beside is entirely up to you...

The British Royal Navy

Flying the Union Jack on behalf of His Majesty King George I, the British Royal Navy boasts one of the most powerful sea forces on the globe. Utilizing strict discipline and unshakeable(?) morals, the Officers and Seamen of this force represent order in the wild waters of the West-Indies.

The Spanish Navy

The Spanish Navy flies the Bandera de EspaƱa on behalf of King Philip V, and are well established in the West-Indies. Having allowed for the Spanish expansion in years past, the Spanish Navy well guards its interests and is well equipped to do so, having to fend off all of the British, Pirates and anyone else that might take what belongs rightfully to Spain.

Privateers

A role that was once filled to capacity has dwindled in recent years with the end of the War of the Spanish Succession, with many former Privateers turning to piracy in order to survive. Though few and far between, these "licensed thieves" are well equipped by their backing countries, and work in loose conjunction with their corresponding navies.

Pirates

Those who fly the black flag cannot be held to any will but their own, and more usually sail for fortune and fame rather than in defense of a greater cause or calling. Some of these men and women are just as ruthless as they are made out to be, while others may have more complex reasons to carry themselves as they do. Though the flags that pirates fly may vary greatly in style and expression, the crews of these ships have in common one thing; a wish for something more.

Spoiler! :
Okay, so I don't actually really know much about running an SB, so the hope here is that if there's enough interest, the whole thing can be a co-op of sorts? I don't really have any particular direction I want this to go; more of a character driven story that is created and unfolds as we progress. I suppose the whole thing is going to be a bit of a test run :idea:

Rules

Pirates cuss, just don't go too far. There's a reason people compare potty mouths to sailors, so there's inevitably going to be some less-than-PG language, let's just not go too crazy.

Swords/ guns/ cannons/ etc. tend to kill and maim. Violence is allowed, again, just don't go Tarantino-mode :smt004

People are social creatures, doesn't mean other people want to witness you being "social." Romance is allowed, and even encouraged. Also encouraged is a "fade to black," implication take on being intimate.

No Mary Sues, etc. There are plenty of names in the world, try to be original :)

No God-modding. Obviously there will be room for allowances, but pirates aren't superhuman. There's a difference between a living legend and the supernatural, I.E. Blackbeard.

Have fun? Hopefully? :pirate3:

Character Template

Spoiler! :

Name:

Allegiance: (Pirate, British Navy/ Privateer, Spanish Navy/ Privateer)

Appearance: (Feel free to use a photo, but please also describe your charrie's appearance. Include weapons in this section.)

Role: (Captain, First Mate, Deck Hand, etc. Not all should be captains but if that's what happens then that's what happens)

Motivation: (Fame, Wealth, Power, etc.)

A memorandum isn't written to inform the receiver, but to protect the writer.
— Dean Acheson