z

Young Writers Society

Switched

271 Reviews

Reviews: 271
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:35 am
Gravity says...

The Concept

Everything is typical, it's just a normal day at Ridgeview Heights High School. You wake up, go to school, come home, go to sleep. Only the next day is not so typical.

When you wake up, you realize you're in another person's body.

The Logistics

Here's how this is going to work. You are going to create a character, and I am going to pair you up with another writer. You will write from the point of view of the character you created, switched with the other person's life. So, for example, say the character I create is Suzie Q, and my friend Hazel is writing for Joe Schmoe and we get paired up. I will be writing from Suzie Q's perspective, but in Joe Schmoe's body.

You will be working closely with that other writer. You will have to share your character backgrounds, what life is like at home, at school. You will plot together, and any major decisions will go through each other. This whole storybook is about character development. I want to see what happens when you throw somebody into another person's life, what they might learn, how they might react.

The Rules

1. I don't want typical characters. GET OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE. I see popular character stereotypes and nerd character stereotypes a lot. Fine, we need one or two of those, but I want to see you get creative. Create a character who is traditionally Muslim, or maybe grew up in a bilingual household. Maybe your character is a jock, but with a major inferiority complex. Get creative.
2. Mild sexual themes are okay. We might have a boy and a girl switching, or maybe a gay person and straight person. Don't be lewd, but try to put yourself in their shoes.
3. Swearing is okay, but I ask that it be kept to a minimum. Swearing can often be used as a way to characterize a person and highlight who they are. Use it that way.
4. If you don't log into YWS at least two to three times a week, this storybook is probably not for you, unless you are comfortable sharing an email with who you get to discuss.
5. There will be options for you if you are uncomfortable for certain themes. For example, if you are uncomfortable doing a gender switch, or being placed into a charrie's life if they were promiscuous, I understand. That doesn't make you homophobic or judgmental, it makes you normal. Just PM me and I promise that information will be kept confidential, and your needs will be accommodated.
6. You can have one character, unless we end up with an odd number. I want a fairly equal ratio of guys to girls.

Character Profile

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Grade:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Sexuality:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Hobbies:[/b]
[b]Ambition:[/b]
[b]Religious Background:[/b]
[b]Family Background:[/b]
[b]Race/Ethnicity:[/b]
[b]Political Background:[/b] (May not apply if your character is indifferent)
[b]Social Status:[/b]
[b]Economic Status:[/b]
[b]Important Relationships:[/b] (May include NPCs, feel free to wait until the SB begins if you wish for your character to have other charrie relationships other than with just their switch or NPCs
[b]Other:[/b]
[b]Your Timezone:[/b]
[b]Schedule:[/b] What is the time during the day you are usually on YWS?
[b]Contact:[/b] Are you willing to exchange outside contact information on snapchat, phone, etc. I am going to do my best to match people in similar writing times with similar schedules and contact preferences. Outside contact information is definitely NOT a requirement.

*You must provide a picture of your character. This picture must be a real human, it cannot be a drawn or animated representation.

This Storybook may seem intense, but I promise it isn't. If you want to join but aren't sure if you have a ton of time, we will figure it out. I don't want people to not join because they think it will be too much!
And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs,
And prayers and proclamations

-Florence + The Machine (All This and Heaven Too)

The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.
— Harold Coffin