z

Young Writers Society

Wrath of Olympus

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:23 pm
LordZeus says...

Ray Patel

Ray spread a map over his cot as the others gathered around him. Everyone was packed and ready to go, but Ray wanted to go over their plan in detail, so everyone knew what was happening before they left.

"Right, so this what's gonna go down." said Ray once everyone was ready. he tapped at the dot marking Raleigh on the map. "We're here. Team A, which is my team, will be taking a bus to Richmond." he said, tracing his finger up to the city.

"That will take about ten hours, since we were forced to pick a cheap one to conserve cash, so it's stopping in every possible place. Then we wait at the bus stand for two hours for another bus which will take us to DC-which will take six hours for the same reason." Some people grumbled , but they stopped when Ray glared in their direction.

"Team B," he continued "led by Mickey, will be taking a train from here directly to Washington D.C. That will take about twelve hours, since once again, it's on the cheap, so it will stop at every podunk town on the way, plus a three hour stop at Norfolk-which makes it fifteen hours in total. Now, as to-" Ray paused a he saw Roland's hand go up opposite him. "Yes, Roland?"

"Well, we do we have to call it Team A and Team B. That's sooo boring, plus it's demeaning to Team B i.e. us."

Ray glared at him. "Roland, that's not really important right now. We have to focus on safely-"

"You know, actually, I think that sounds like a good idea." said Ash, smiling at Roland. "We're demigods. Powerful ones. We should have names that reflect that."

Ray gritted his teeth. "Fine, what names would you like?"

Roland pondered this for a bit, a thoughtful expression on his face, Ray growing more and more frustrated at the pointless waste of time.

After a minute, he finally said, "Hey, I got it! Let's name them for our Team leaders." and he turned to Ray, index finger extended, "You guys will be Team Psychic! And-" he turned to Mickey, "We'll be Team Hellraisers!" and they high-fived.

Ray sighed. He's seen so much, yet he still feels the need to make cool team names. I ope this doesn't happen all the time. "Fine." Ray muttered. "If it makes you happy, we'll go with those names. Now, may I please continue?"

When no one responded to the contrary, Ray moved on. "Good. Now, each of our teams have a mobile. Myself-" and he lifted his Samsung S6, "And Mickey." and Mickey then lifted his own phone (technically one he 'borrowed' from somewhere, since he never had a previous need for one, being blind. Ray had already had one, which he used to contact his father when at camp.

Ray continued, "At Raleigh, we will call you, and at Norfolk, you will call us. Both times using pay phones only, using the other's number which is registered on your mobile, then scampering out of the area as fast as possible so you're not attacked. This is for checking in to tell us developments on your journey. For emergencies only will you use your own mobile. Monsters will be all along our path, drawn to the fighting of godly minions and half bloods in the region, and they'll be on the hunt, so don't forget that. For any other communication, we'll speak through Caroline and dream conversation. That is, unless she feels like she can get some sleep, in which case that is what she should do, since we need to all be well rested."

When Caroline tried to protest, Ray cut her off. "You need to rest, Rose. Take care of yourself. If you feel like you can sleep, do it. Tire's no need to check in unless there's a real problem. Got it?"

When she nodded, Ray moved on. "Another thing; stay together. This is crucial. No one can be left alone. Monsters could attack at any time, so to avoid getting separated, make sure you always in sight of your team." He looked around in everyone's eyes, hoping they understood his seriousness.

"Now, one last thing, Since Washington D.C. is holy to the gods, there is no combat between minions and half-bloods, and no monsters in the city limits, the former out of respect for it's sacredness, the latter because they are destroyed by guardian deities. But the way is through a war zone. Demigods, godly servants, and monsters from both sides will be battling across the area. Chances of attack are almost certain. That said, avoid combat as much as possible. We don't want either side to take too much notice of us. And Team B- I mean, Team Heraisers - since you're arriving earlier than we are, please make sure you don't make any moves until we arrive. It's too risky trying anything alone, we need to get what we need together. Everyone got that?" The others all nodded. "Then let's go."

Ray opened the gateway and stood at the side of the stairway as the others all moved out before putting a palm on the wall. "Return" he said simply and the magical bonds on the maze were drawn into his hand, returning the magical energy that was left in them to him. The maze creaked, able to move again, so Ray quickly left before the entrance could shift before closing it again.

Backpacks full, and their chambers emptied, the half bloods moved out. i sure hope we get through this alive... thought Ray grimly.

----

Ray sat on a bench separate from the others, lost in thought. It was mid-afternoon, and the Sun was shining brightly. They had taken longer than they had expected to pack, and since the train and bus timings seemed to be mainly in the afternoon, he decided to let them have lunch before leaving. Who knew when they'd next be able to eat in peace?

That reminded Ray of their financial situation. He had contacted Iris the previous night, and she had been able to send him what she could spare via a cloud nymph. It wasn't that Mich, but more than they had, so he split it between himself and Mickey. They decided to use it as a reserve, spending most of what was left of their earlier funds on train and bus tickets instead.

But what they had left was enough to feed them for less than a week in DC, and after that they were on their own, and would have to find cash elsewhere. But he pushed that to the back of his mind. No use focusing on that now. He told himself. It won't help matters.

Instead, he glanced at Olivia, who's seemed to be thinking of something. He couldn't get his mind off how disgusted she had looked when he'd asked her to accompany him. Well, he hadn't expected her to be thrilled, but still...they had been friends for a long time. Best friends, in fact, close to family. Soon enough, a memory floated to the top of his mind, and Ray let it play out.

----

A twelve year old Ray pummeled his aggressor as he grabbed him by the throat and shoved him against a wall. The taller boy, Victor, sneered at him angrily. "Painful, little bastard? Good. Do you think I'm a maniacal orangutan now? Huh?"

And he loosened his grip just long enough so Ray, who honestly still believed it,could croak "Yes." He instantly cursed his own stupid mouth as the son of Nike tightened his grip, his eyes boring into him. Victor's two friends kept watch in the meanwhile for counselors or Chiron-or campers who hated him, of which there were many.

"It's time you learn respect for those more experienced than you." He hissed as he clenched his fist even think tighter. Ray's vision blurred as he wheezed, struggling to pull air into his oxygen starved lungs. Suddenly, he heard cries of pain, and then he was released as Victor uttered one himself.

Ray slumped to the ground. For a few minutes, he could do nothing but stare into the air, gasping heavily, his vision blurred. When his sight cleared, there was a cool hand on his head, attempting to smooth down the obstinate tuft of her that always stuck up near the front, and a face above him. It was the fair face of a girl, about his age, framed in golden hair, which tumbled down to touch Ray's face, and blue eyes the colour of the sky and having just missed going into a coma, it was the most beautiful face he'd ever seen .

The first thing he asked her when he could speak was, "Are you a goddess?"

She lifted a hand to her face and chuckled. "No, silly. I'm Olivia, from the Ares cabin. You're Ray, right? The kid who came in last night? The one whom Hecate came herself to claim?" He nodded, blushing at his mistake.

She smiled at him before helping him up. "Victor's an idiot who can't take a joke. Plus, he's jealous that your mother came to claim you herself, the night you entered camp, while his own waited three years to claim him with a mere sign. Take no notice of him. If he gives you any more trouble, I'll take care of him, okay?"

Ray blushed again. "It's okay, I can take care of myself." he said hurriedly.

She laughed again. "I'm sure. You've got spirit, newbie. Tell you what, I've only been here a few weeks myself, and I've not made a great impression on a number of people. So, what if we look after each other, huh? How does that sound?"

At first, Ray thought it was little corny, but he then realized that she meant it. And that feeling warmed him. In a strange, slightly scary new place, she was the first person to be kind to him. For the first time since leaving home, he felt things could be alright. So he said, "Okay."

----

Suddenly, he was shaken out of his reverie as someone yelled. Ray got up quickly, immediately noticing the hellhound. Mickey rushed his dog onto the train, and it rattled off-with Roland still outside.

Olivia's quick chain-scythe work saved him, but the beast was soon free again, and bounding toward Mehenia, who raised her daggers. But with one paw swipe, the weapons went flying, and her eyes widened in fear as she backed away as her opponent approached.

The danger switched on Ray's survival mode. He had become protective of her over their time in the labyrinth, though he couldn't put a finger on why. But as he ran, he ran over his options in a split second. Not enough time to transform my amulet into my swords. Not enough time for magic with any real power. and, with that in mind, he leapt between them, wrapping his arms around Nehemiah interposing his body between the two.

The hellhound leapt with a growl, flying towards them...and bounced off of Ray's hastily prepared magic shield. Ray trembled as he released her. He hadn't been sure he'd be able to do it so quickly. But he didn't dwell on it as he watched the beast shake itself, recovering.

Mia blushed. "What-"

"Magic shield. Quickest way to do it." replied Ray curtly, as he glared at the hellhound stalking towards him, growling.

"Too late." Ray muttered, flinging out his arm. A long tentacle-like whip appendage of golden light extended from Ray's arm, knocking the creature to the side before Ray wrapped its tip around the hellhound's throat, carrying it up, struggling, into the air.

Ray then clenched his fist, and the tentacle sparked gold, the part touching the hellhound smoking as the beast gave a mournful howl. Ray then absorbed the whip back into his body, letting the hellhound fall to the ground.

The other half-bloods gave a collective gasp as they realized its throat was burned away, as it dissolved into shadow, and disappeared.

They all looked at him. Ray thought of what to tell them, but didn't have to as Rose sensed something else, and the son of Poseidon appeared. Ray watched their exchange carefully, ending with his escape.

He reprimanded her for attempting to kill the boy, but she shot back, "Don't tell me that we were going to go through all of this without ticking them off."

Ray was speechless, but only for a moment as his usual cool, intimidating manner which had been on edge in the labyrinth, finally slipped.

"Do you understand what's going on?" He hissed. "Yes, we're ticking them off,but as far as they're concerned, we're nothing more than a prick in their side, something to ignore as they focus on the larger threat of the to her side. Doing something like attacking one for their children could end that. The moment they think we're an actual threat, they'll hunt us down in the streets with all the deities and half bloods they can muster. Do you understand? We can't risk that! Luckily, this seems to be a case of a personal vendetta, and I think it may remain so rather than the war I hope will not come to us."

Ross's eyes.became downcast, turning towards the ground. Ray shifted uncomfortably, softening his tone, his anger dissipating, recalling what she had said to him, and who he was to her. "I'm sorry." He said at last. "I can feel what you're going through, I shouldn't have been so harsh, given what he did to you. Just...take into account what I said from now on, okay?"

She looked up, smiling slightly as Ray clasped her shoulder, and nodded. Ray smiled back in what he hoped was a reassuring way before turning to the others.

"Roland, you're a member of Team Psychic now." He said. "Right, guys, let's move to the bus stop. I'll lead, with Mia behind me and Rose and Roland on either side of her. Olivia, bring up the rear. We need to be on the alert for an attack this time." And in formation, the small group exited the platform.

----

Later, on the bus to Richmond, an hour into their journey, Ray scribbled the day's proceedings into his notebook. Mia sat to his right, at the window seat, while Olivia and Rose sat in the seats ahead of them, with Roland across the aisle, on the seat next to Ray.

Despite the fact that it was just afternoon, Rose and Roland had fallen asleep pretty quickly, already tired from the day's proceedings. Olivia was reading a book. But Ray kept vigil. His journal held the details of his daily life in camp -half a page a day- since his quest began.

He'd been a bit lax in updates over the past summer, but decided he needed to keep it up now. Writing it and reading recent updates helped remind Ray that they were in constant danger, keeping him alert.

Mia was asleep too, but Ray had only noticed it when she fell against him, her head falling on his shoulder. Ray, unused to such physical contact, had initially itched to move, but didn't have the heart to risk waking her, not after the day she'd had. What's more, she seemed to be feeling cold, as she had shivered and tried to snuggle again Ray in her sleep, though this had stopped since he had put his jacket over her, thankfully. He had gradually gotten used to it.

He glanced over her. There was just something about her that made him want to shield her, to keep her out of harm's way. He couldn't deny he found her sass a little annoying, but he still cared, like she was a little sister. But it was more than that. He just couldn't put his finger on it...then it hit him.

He looked at her, his eyes widening. She's...she's me. he realized. I was kinda annoying too... I was headstrong, confident, idealistic...just like her. I was more innocent too, and carefree, and fun-loving, like she is, too. She, and who I was, are so much alike. he thought, connecting the dots.

That's why I feel like keeping her safe. he realized. If I was like her once...she could become like me too, if she has enough near death experiences. And I can't let that happen. I lost most of my friends, the ability to have fun, the ability to appreciate the little things, the appreciation of everyone. It wasn't worth it.

Ray the. clenched his fist, determined., as he looked down at Mia, making a silent oath to himself. I will protect you. he promised. I will not let you lose almost everything, as I did.
Last edited by LordZeus on Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:05 am
Midnightmoon says...

"Rose! Rose!" Someone was calling her name. Rose sat up and blinked. She was in a small room, and Athena was standing in the middle.
"Mom?" Rose said with a smile. "Why did you call me?"
Her mom sighed. "Rose, I'll be out of touch for a while. I need you to promise me something." Rose stared at her, scared.
"Sure, mom." Athena continued, "Things are bad here. Just remember Rose, I love you. And swear to me that you will never throw your life away for something that isn't worth it. I saw what you tried to do to Alex. I'm proud of you. But right now, your friends need you more than ever. Especially Mia. Promise me, Rose."
"I promise mom." Rose whispered. Athena smiled and hugged her. She handed Rose a pair of finger-less leather gloves. Rose didn't need an explanation.
"Thank you mom." and then she woke up.

"Feeling better?" Ray asked. She nodded and then got up, Carefully, so as not to disturb Roland and walked to the end of the train. There, she let her tears flow silently.

"Hey, What's wrong?" Rose jumped. She hadn't noticed Olivia.
"Just....Mom's going to be out of touch for a while." Rose said.
"I'm sorry Rose." Olivia said, than hugged her. "Just Remember, I'm here for you. Everyone else is to." Rose snorted at that.
"The only one I really trust is you, Olivia. And I know that everyone else will help with a fight, including Ray, but I get the feeling he hates me. Everyone else is scared of me."
"That's not true. You have a heart and can be very gentle. And Ray doesn't hate you." Olivia said. Rose raised an eyebrow at her.
"here, come sit with me." Olivia led Rose to where she had been sitting.
"From your mom?" Rose asked, Looking at her new gloves. Rose nodded and put them on.
"I hope we're almost there." Rose said. "I'm tired of sitting here."
Olivia grinned. "Me too. Come on, We haven't talked in a while." So they sat side by side and talked.

558 Reviews

Reviews: 558
Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:16 am
erilea says...

Mehenia Garthen

She wasn't sure what to think about their little quest so far.

They had gotten separated from Roland, which was sure to make Ash distraught. Then Ray had defeated the hellhound almost single-handedly--how the heck had he made that shield thing so quickly? Rose had ticked off a god and tried to kill his son--one of the Big Three, no less. And somehow, Mia had woken up leaning against Ray, wearing his jacket.

It was amazing how weird things could become in just a day.

But she couldn't dwell on that now. She sat up and shrugged off the jacket, feeling around for her daggers to make sure they were still there. "So... what did I miss? And are we there yet?"

"Not for a long while," Ray said, taking his jacket back. She smiled, fully aware that she sounded like a petulant six-year-old. At least she had brought a book on this road trip. Pulling it out of her backpack, she flipped to her current page and began reading. It was titled All We Have Left.

How fitting, she thought. All I have left are the people around me... and Team Hellraisers, of course.

Mehenia sat back, flipped a page, and began reading.

---

"What the h--" Ray stopped, realizing that Mia was right next to him, and coughed awkwardly. "I mean, what is that?"

"Oh, please," she sighed, but she put down her book. "Just a regular tourist in loud clothes. Who wears those tropical shirts anyway?"

"No--his eyes. They're, um, really..."

"Gold?" Olivia finished, staring the tourist down. Despite his being slightly overweight and balding, the tourist seemed confident that he could take down several fit demigods with very sharp weapons. Mia didn't get worried until two more tourists joined him, their eyes all flashing gold.

"Oh, crap," she hissed. "Eidolons."

She quickly rummaged in her backpack as the tourists suddenly advanced. She didn't want to kill them, but her staff would successfully knock them out, and then... maybe Ray could control them away? She didn't know what the son of Hecate could do against the malignant spirits.

Olivia took her scythe, swung it around a few times, and let it go. It wrapped around the ankles of the tourists, trapping them together. However, the eidolons didn't seem deterred. With something like a whispering laugh, one of the tourist's eyes returned back to its original color and he collapsed. Unfortunately...

"Olivia--!"

She turned towards them with a demonic grin, her eyes now that brilliant gold. Mehenia paled visibly, watching as Olivia turned to look at each of them. Her staff was out, but...

The older girl seemed to be choosing who to kill first. Mia raised her staff, but Olivia leaped at her first victim.

Right at Ray.
Was *wisegirl22*Artemis28*Lupa22*

focus on... enjoying happy moments

69 Reviews

Reviews: 69
Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:24 pm
NympheaLily says...

Roland Bright
He was frozen. Olivia had launched herself at Ray, possessed by an eidolon and Roland couldn't think of what to do. Time seemed to slow down as she threw herself at Ray. Suddenly he was snapped out of his daze by a shriek.

"RAY!" He moved, faster than he thought he could and pushed Olivia out of her path. They landed in a tangle of arms and legs. Olivia's golden eyes bored into his and it took all of his willpower not to look away. He tried to keep her down but she was much stronger than him and with the added strength of the eidolon, she shoved him off so violently that he slammed head first into the ground. She then turned back to Ray and attacked him again. Roland lay, crumpled in a heap, his vision going in and out.

He could only see bits of the battle between the two and it was not pretty. At one point Ray had Olivia by the throat and was shouting something incoherent.

At another, Olivia was holding him down hissing into his ear.

Roland tried to get up, but it was hard. He was very woozy and couldn't stand straight. He took his most prized possession from his back pocket, barely able to hold it. It was a pen, a nice, sleek, black fountain pen with Greek lettering on the side. It read; Δημιουργία which meant Creation.

Roland took this pen and drew on the pavement in golden ink; ΠΡΟΣΤΑΣΙΑ. Protection. A gold circle about five feet wide formed around him. He collapsed again, feeling sick.

"Ray..." he croaked. Ray didn't hear, he was too busy trying to hold off Olivia.

"Everyone!" he called, louder this time, "Get... into the... circle!" Everyone looked over and started to move towards him.

"What about Ray?" asked Rose.

"Get... him..." Roland said. He took his pen and wrote another Greek word; μεγέθυνση. Enlarge. The circle doubled in size and made more room for its inhabitants. After that, Roland barely saw Ray make it inside the circle before he blacked out.
Will Solace IRL

68 Reviews

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:45 pm
Midnightmoon says...

Rose watched in terror as Olivia leapt at Ray. She wasn't going to stand there. Olivia was her friend and she was going to help. Suddenly the gloves lit up. She felt her mothers presence and knew she wasn't alone. She stepped out of the circle and called Olivia's name.
"What the hell are you doing?" Ray yelled. Mia looked on with frightened eyes. Rose called Olivia's name again. Olivia turned towards her, an evil grin on her face. She leapt towards Rose. Rose put out her hands and touched her wrists together. A blue light surrounded Olivia. She was frozen in place.
Rose began to speak.
"By my father who is dead, by the god who deserves to die, by my mother who loves me, by Zeus himself, you will return to us. Olivia think! Think about your time with Ray. Think about our friendship. I know your there. Think!" Rose shouted the last words out. Olivia began to struggle. Rose clapped the gloves together and Olivia stayed there. The rest of the Eidolons moved up behind Rose. Rose screamed. "Mom! I need you! Please, Save Olivia!" Then she ducked, grabbed one of the Eidolons legs, tripped him, hit another, got cornered, ran up the side of the train car, wrapped her legs around his neck and flipped him over her head. Then her knifes were in her hand. By this time Athena had appeared. She put her hand on Olivia's head. Rose heard her mothers voice in her head.
"Rose, you used up to much power to call me. But I need help. What will you do to save Olivia? Why does she need to be saved?" Rose looked at her mom, than said, "Olivia is smart, strong, brave and loyal. This group, Ray, needs her more than they will ever need me. I can't save her mom, you can. You did it to me, when I was possessed." Rose hung her head and dropped her knifes. "Take whatever you have to mom. I know that you don't have the strength you normally would have because of the war." Her voice was a whisper, she staggered to the circle, fell into it, and blacked out. Athena was surrounded by a blue light. She stretched out one hand toward Rose, and the other towards Olivia. A beautiful light began to come out of Rose, while a darkness came out of Olivia. Athena brought her hands together, and the light and the darkness collided,the light from Rose overtaking the darkness from Olivia. Rose let out a groan. Olivia fell, gasping.
"What happened?" She asked. She was back. Athena shoved her into the circle. She turned to Ray.
"Can you handle them?" Ray nodded. Athena knelt besides Rose's body.
"She's not dead, is she?" Mia asked softly. Athena hugged Rose.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to take so much from you. Olympus is being torn apart. I know you gave it willingly, but I'm still sorry. The civil war is limited and weakened us more than anyone thought." She gently laid Rose back on the floor. She turned to Ray.
"Rose told me you hated her. I think she is wrong, but it is between the two of you. All I ask of you Ray, is that you don't let her die. Please." With that, Athena was gone. Rose still lay on the floor, blacked out, her breathing ragged, shallow, and slow.
Last edited by Midnightmoon on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:23 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Aedolas "Ed" Forsyth

The attack happened so quickly, like an avalanche. I don't know what I could have done. I mean, one moment we were boarding the train and grouching about how long the journey was going to take and then I'm here. Staring out of the window, at Roland. At Roland who was meant to be in our group. At Roland who was meant to be on the train but is instead about to be mauled by a freaking hell hound and I should be doing something about it. But I'm not.

We pull away slowly and the hell hound crashes to the platform floor with Roland underneath all 130 pounds of dark, rippling muscle. I want to cry out but the sound gets caught in my throat and with a rumbling growl, the train starts to accelerate. Olivia brings her chain into action, coiling it around the hell hound and I can see the strain in her stance as she pulls and-

"Ed, a little help please!" Mickey's voice snaps me back to the carriage interior where Ash is thrashing about in Mickey's arms, her hands stretching for the emergency break. The conductor looks like he wants to intervene but bared teeth and a low growl from Laleps keeps him at bay long enough for me to get there first.

"Okay, Ash, we need to sit down or they're going to throw us off." I take one of her arms and Mickey the other and between us we manage to get her into a seat.

"Good, we have to - we should - why aren't we helping him!" Ash's voice is louder than I've ever heard it before and it's almost enough to make me pull the emergency break for her. For Roland. For the sake of my own conscience which is still yelling at me to do something.

"He's...he's probably okay," Caroline says softly. "I saw Olivia pull it off him with her chain." She wrings her hands and eases herself gently into a seat opposite us.

"Of course he's okay," Mickey agrees. "Ray and Olivia are with him - there's no way they'll let him get hurt. We should be more worried about ourselves; they've got all the powerhouses while you're chaperoning the blind kid."

Laleps gives the conductor one last growl of warning and then bounds over to us, tongue lolling out of his mouth and he stops in front of Mickey with a low whine. "See, even Laleps is worried about us," Mickey jokes. He's not holding on to Ash any more and I realise I still am and quickly let my hand fall into my lap.

"I...I just need to know he's okay," Ash says, her voice suddenly weak and wobbly. Then just as quickly she turns intense again and fixes her eyes on me. "Don't you know, Ed? Can't you tell that he's okay?"

If only it was that simple.

"Not exactly, no," I admit as I look down at my brown walking boots and wonder how many more times in my life I'll have to explain the imperfection of my powers. "I don't know everything. But sometimes when I focus really hard on any one person then I know things about them so I'm going to try. I'm going to keep thinking of Roland until I either know that he's safe or Caroline has confirmation from the others." I finally lift my eyes and force myself to meet hers and she gives the smallest nod of understanding.

So I start thinking about Roland; it's not like I could stop, even if I wanted to. There's a burning need in me to turn every second of that moment over in my head; I keep seeing it again and again and thinking of all the things I could have done differently-

An earth shield sliding into place between the hell hound and Roland. Roland gets on the trains and is safe. Or a golem leaping into action and smashing the hell hound out of the way while I proclaim: "You can't hurt my friends!". Again, Roland alights the train (just in time) and is safe.

But none of that happened because I'm only half a hero and I'm not even powerful enough to give my friends the peace of mind they need. Roland, please be okay.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Reviews: 0
Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:58 pm
View Likes
VenusStar says...

Sofia Guerrero -Norfolk the City of Life, celebrated daily.

Sofia sat on the ground nursing her right arm as the bandages wrapped around did their best to stop the bleeding. The building was abandoned and her enemies laid out cold, no ambrosia, no necktor, nothing to help her heal faster. The leader, a son of Athena had caught her by surprise when she was dealing with the other two. She had only barely reacted in time because the Son of Ares had gotten a bit too cocky and had refused too do much more than hold her in one spot. A trick she would have to remember in the future.

"Damn Greeks, them and their stupid war," she thought.

Ever since she started travailing the Greeks have shown her no mercy ever since she started pushing East. Either refusing to listen to reason or outright attacking her, in the favor of not ruining the peace between the Romans and Greeks she's merely knocked out any demigods she came across. But these lot gave her a tougher fight than she expected, they were older, better trained, more experienced than the previous ones she encountered. It almost cost her, her freedom or even her life and now it seemed like the terrifying foes she faced once, were slowly being replaced by ones she thought she would never have to fight.

Sofia slowly pushed herself back to her feet, she should take their stuff; they likely have supplies she needs that would heal the wound they inflicted. But she knew better, she was honorable to her fellow demigods they would need it when they woke up in an hour or two. By then she should be far away and her face would once more be circulated by them. She made her way out of the abandoned building, throwing on her Chicago Cubs jacket that was a size too big for her, she picked up while she was in Chicago to cover her bandages.

She needed to catch a train, get to Washington D.C the one place monsters and demigods wouldn't dare attack her. With her knuckles on and hidden within the sleeves of her jacket she used the map in her head of the area to make a route to the nearest station to catch a train that would take her on her way.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:52 am
View Likes
Europa says...

The girl’s eyes changed from gold to blue. Whatever had been holding her in place wore off them, and she fell to her knees. The young girl who had frozen her rushed out of their protective circle and helped her up, speaking urgently to her. The blue eyed girl said something that seemed to reassure her friend and they sat back down together in a seat. The other three joined them, one supported by his two friends. Eris frowned at the vision. The tourist kneeling before looked up at her beseechingly. Eris looked down at him imperiously. “Failure.”

“I’m sorry!” The Eidolan pleaded. Eris lifted her hand and the Eidolan winced. Eris gave him one more cold look, then gestured to two attendants standing nearby. “Take this one. He’s useless.”

Eris watched them drag the monster away, with a bored expression, ignoring is shouted pleas for mercy. She motioned two more servants. “These demigods are starting to bother me.” One of the attendants, a young man with astonishingly thick eyebrows, nodded respectfully.

“You wish for us to find an assassin for you, mistress?”

Eris smiled. “Oh, you don’t need to find one for me. You know I have the perfect ones for the job already.”

Eyebrows blanched. His adam’s apple bobbed up and down. “Of course, mistress.”

“Smart boy.” Eris chuckled. “Now. I wish an audience with my favorite pet. Fetch him for me.”

Eyebrows nodded and withdrew, noticeably less steady on his feet. Eris turned to the second attendant. “You bring the other one.” From the look on her face, Eris guess she had barely stopped a groan from escaping, and she too set to her task. Eris sat, fingers steepled, waiting.

Eyebrows was the first to return, trailing ten steps behind his charge. Unlike the terrified attendant, the other boy’s gait was steady and confidant. He seemed to drift across the floor. For all his efforts to hide the identifying traits of his parentage, there was nothing he could do about his grace. That was all Aphrodite. Eris smiled as he knelt in front of her. “Adonis.” The boy gave a small bob of his lowered head in recognition. “I was afraid you’d still be away.”

“I finished early.” He answered simply, his voice warped through the mouthpiece of the mask. Mixing his natural smoothness with a strange gravel. Eris nodded

“The batallion has been dealt with, then?”

“Yes.”

“How many survivors?”

Adonis looked up. The lights hit his mask at an odd angle, twisting it into something even more monsterus. “None.”

Eris smiled. “Excellent work.”

The meeting was interrupted then by what looked to everyone watching like an exceptionally large cannonball. It whizzed through the chamber doorway, knocking over an unfortunate guard as it passed before skidding to a stop beside Adonis. The cannonball, as it turned out, was a smaller boy with touseled black hair.

“I win!” He declared to the room. The second attendant staggered in then, wheezing and red in the face. The boy’s attention turned to Adonis, still on one knee, who had lifted his head to stare at the newcomer. Eris couldn’t see his eyes through the tainted glass of the eyeholes, but she imagined the boy was glaring. The newcomer regarded him with curiosity.
“Hey there, buddy.” He leaned down to examine Adonis at eye level. “Whatchya doin down there on the floor?” Adonis’s fingers twitched as if yearning to wrap around the young boy’s throat. Eris smiled once again.

“Ah, there you are.” Eris returned her attention to Adonis “This is Hachiko. I suggest you get used to him. You’ll be spending a considerable amount of your time with him.”

Hachiko waved cheerfully. “Call me Hachi if you want.”

Adonis tuned his head away from his new companion and slowly lowered it again. Hachiko looked from Adonis to Eris, then back to Adonis. He plunked down cross legged on the floor. Adonis’s fingers gave another twitch.

With a wave of Eris’s hand, the flock of attendants and servants exited. “It has been brought to my attention,” She began “that another group has gotten involved in the war. One who aims to stop this war.” She looked carefully at the two boys. “I don’t believe I need to inform you of the problems this can cause.” Both boys were silent. “Presently, they are a mere annoyance. However, they could develop into a serious threat if they are not dealt with. My Eidolans have failed me. As has the son of Poseidon. I believe that these demigods have earned my special attention,” She leaned forward. A large grin was already spreading across Hachiko’s face. “Don’t you think?”

Though his head was still lowered, Eris imagined that under that mask of his, Adonis was smiling as well. His voice was level, almost toneless when he answered. “Yes.”

69 Reviews

Reviews: 69
Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:21 am
View Likes
NympheaLily says...

Ash Vallin
It was a while before they reached their destination. She spent that time staring out the window. Or at Mickey. God he was cute... She thanked her lucky stars for the millionth time that he couldn't see her staring at him. Although, if she did it for too long, he would shift uncomfortably and then she would look away. After she'd calmed down, Mickey moved a row over to calm Laleps, who was getting restless. Looking out the window or at him got her mind off Roland. She couldn't imagine what his predicament was. He must be so scared.
Stop it, she chided herself, Roland is a year older than you. Stop worrying about him like he's helpless.

"We're here!" called Ed, already up and starting for the exit. Mickey got up from his position across from her and started to the front of the train. They all filed off in a line and waited until everyone was congregating around Mickey.

"Alright gang," he said, "We are here to get information. Any godly deities, any nymph, any anything that can talk and hopefully won't kill you is what we're looking for."

"How will we find what we're looking for?" asked Caroline.

"I guess we'll just have to wing it," said Mickey with a smile, "If anyone is going anywhere, we go in groups of two. Got it?" The group echoed back with various yeses and yups.

"Great! Let's go get some info!"

~~~~

Several hours later, Ash felt like her legs were noodles. She could hardly walk. They'd been traveling around the city, not finding anything of importance. Ed had found a water nymph and tried to ask it something but almost drowned instead. Lucky for him, Ash was right behind him and had pulled him out before the nymph could drown him even more. After that, Ed had steered clear from any fountains from then on. Caroline had found someone that could have helped but she almost was hit by a bus. She jumped back, barely getting out of the way before an earsplitting honk reverberated from the vehicle.

"This is hopeless," complained Ed. He was still wet from his nymph encounter, "Caroline almost was hit by a car, I almost drowned. What else could this place throw at us?" Mickey was about to reply but then, an enormous roar filled the air. Everyone looked in that direction. The sound of fighting followed and Ash stood up abruptly. It was like all of her energy returned.

"Someone's over there!" she shouted, "Come on!" Before anyone could object she took off towards the direction of the noises. The group was close behind her when she rounded the corner and saw a demigod fighting an enormous hydra. The heads were snapping at the demigod and she nimbly moved out of the way. She was strong and fast, but Ash could see her tiring.

"What can we do?" asked Caroline. Ed shrugged and Mickey almost stepped in when Ash called out to them.

"Stay where you are!" She stepped forward and opened her mouth.

"Ash what-!" Mickey started but was cut off by her singing.

"Shall thine birds sing
and trees sway
Spread thy wing
And come to stay

Where the weeping
Willow grows
Find me sleeping
No one knows"

The hydra had lost interest in the other demigod and was swaying to her song. She saw its heads start to droop and it's movements to get more sluggish. She continued to sing.

"The riverside
Shines with light
Thine sea with tide
With all thy might

Where the weeping
Willow grows
Find me sleeping
No one knows"

The hydra was almost asleep. Ash looked around and saw everyone staring at her, entranced. There was no movement at all except for the Hydra, slowly drifting off.

I wish for thy sun
To warm my heart
No clouds, there's none
To keep us part

Where the weeping
Willow grows
Find me sleeping
No one knows."

By these last words, the hydra was fully asleep and silence had fallen over the premises. She ran over to her group and shook them.

"Come on! We only have fifteen minutes before it wakes up!" The new demigod had shaken her daze first and came up to them.

"Who are you?" she inquired, seeming a little hostile. Ash turned and finally got a good look at her. She was strongly built, a natural born warrior. She had tattoos on her arm. Roman...

" I'm Ash," she said, "And who are you?" The demigod glared at them, sizing them up and studying each of them with a sharp stare.

"Sofia," she said at last, "Sofia Guerrero."
Last edited by NympheaLily on Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will Solace IRL

558 Reviews

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:02 am
erilea says...

Mehenia Garthen

Eidolons? Really?

Life sucked sometimes.

Olivia could have killed Ray. That wasn't to say that Ray wasn't skilled or a good fighter, but Olivia... Mehenia knew the two had a history. And that history could turn dangerous.

She knew they probably had to focus on their journey and be the heroic demigods they were supposed to be. They couldn't afford to be lazy now. But Mia, meanwhile, was just wondering when they were going to eat.

She polished her blades absentmindedly with the hem of her t-shirt, staring at her ragged reflection. It wasn't like they hadn't seen enough action already. She was just wondering when they were gonna get there.

As if on cue, Ray looked up. "We're going to arrive soon, Mia. Be ready for any attacks."

"Like always," she grumbled, but she gripped her weapons tighter.

The train began to slow down, swaying back and forth. Good. She would be glad to get off--she got motion sick easily, and her nausea had been killing her.

"Okay, guys. Let's go." Next to her, Ray stood up, and Olivia reluctantly followed suit. Mia jumped up, stretched, and grabbed her backpack.

"Finally. We're here!" she cheered. She didn't really care if she sounded like a little kid. She was happy about arriving, and that was it.

"Walk after me, guys--"

Olivia rolled her eyes, looking exasperated, and pushed her way forward. "I'll go first," she hissed, striding past Ray. Mehenia frowned. It wasn't very nice to do that, but perhaps the girl was acting out of guilt. I mean, she could've really hurt Ray, Mia thought.

Pushing the thoughts away, she scrambled after the older girl and out of the stuffy train.

68 Reviews

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:46 pm
Midnightmoon says...

Rose groaned. She stumbled out of the bus. And fell. Her head hurt, she was weak, and she could barely breath.
"Rose, are you alright?" Rose glanced up and saw Mia looking at her with concern.
"Normally, I'd say yes. But I think it's rather obvious that I'm not." She half smiled. Mia smiled a little.
"Do you want me to get Ray?" Mia asked.
"NO!" Rose said, emphatically. To her surprise, Mia had a look of understanding on her face.
"I'll be fine, Mom just took a lot out of me. I gave it freely though." Rose said. She managed to sit up and drew a black staff out of her boot. Leaning on it, she struggled to rise.
"Here." Mia said and offered Rose her hand. Surprised and grateful, Rose took it.
"Lean on me." Mia said. Rose smiled.
"I'll have to, a little bit."
"You know, What you did, that was amazing. I've never seen anything like it." Mia said. Rose shrugged.
"I did what I had to. None of us could have beaten Olivia alone, maybe altogether if it was just her."

"What's the hold up back here?" Ray said, coming back, with a frown on his face.
"Nothing. We're fine." Mia and Rose said together. Ray gave Rose a strange look and then moved on.
"Keep up." Was all he said. Mia rolled her eyes. Rose laughed. She took a step and almost fell.
Suddenly she sensed something in the air. "Mia." She gasped. "Call at the others. Something's coming." Rose struggled to breath. Mia called the others and they came running back.
"What is it?" Roland asked. Rose said nothing, just looked at Mia.
"Think you can help me stand? I'm going to need this staff." Curious, Mia nodded. Rose leaned on her and drew her staff up. She threw it into the air and caught it as it came down, except now it was a bow, with an arrow ready to shoot. Rose raised it.
"There's nothing there!" Ray said. Olivia and Mia glared at him.
"Shut up!" Olivia said. "When will you learn to trust Rose?" She snapped and turned to Rose. "Go ahead." She said. Rose aimed, then fired. There came a snarl and a whimper.
"I hit it! It's a hellhound." Rose said. Raising her hands, she thought about what she wanted. A long, strong chain came out of the gloves and shot into the distance. Rose grabbed the chain and started pulling. Seeing how weak she was, Olivia helped, on finger on her bracelet in case she needed to tear it off. The chain was wrapped around the hellhound. Rose had hit it right between the eyes.
"What are those?" Ray asked, pointing to the gloves. Rose smiled.
"A gift from mom."

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:31 pm
Europa says...

MICKEY HALEN
“Who are you?” I shook out of my daze when I heard the new voice. It was older than any of the ones I recognized. Obviously female, but lower than normal. There was a certain amount of tiredness trapped under the surface. Her words coated in mistrust. Laleps didn’t bark.

“Nice to meet you too.” I grinned. “I’m Mickey. And this here’s my…I dunno. They’re my babysitters I guess. The wet guy is Ed, and I’m not sure where he is…wave for our friend here Ed. The girl with the voice of an angel—I’m assuming you’ve noticed her by now she’s kind of hard to miss—That’s Ash. And Caroline…where are you?”

“I’m right beside you.” Her soft voice sounded right by my shoulder, making me jump.

“Styx! How’d you sneak up on me like that? Anyway, ninja girl over here on my right is Caroline. And this” I rubbed Laleps’ head “Is Laleps, my dog. Meantime, this thing won’t stay asleep forever and our train’s about to leave. You might not want to stick around here. There’s a crazy nymph somewhere around here who seems a little too fond of death by drowning.”

“I wasn’t planning on staying. I’m taking the next train out of here.”

“Smart choice." I tugged on Laleps's harness and he stood. "Well, team. Turns out this place was a waste of time. Let’s get out of here.” I nodded in the direction of the new voice “Good luck.” I could feel her eyes on my back as we walked away

Ash’s voice whispered from my shoulder. I could almost feel the anxiety radiating from it. “Ed, did you find Roland yet?"

There was a long, heavy pause before he answered her. “No, not yet. I’m sorry.”

For the rest of the journey back to the train station, Ash didn’t speak.
………..
“How are things going on your end?” The tiredness in Ray’s voice carried over the phone. I shrugged, then remembered he couldn’t see me.

“Not something you’d make a movie out of. Ed nearly got drowned by a nymph and Ash hypnotized a hydra, other than that it was just a long, boring train ride. We’re headed to DC now.”

“Alright” The word was charged with something like nervousness “we’ll see you there, but be careful.”

“Hey man, we’ll be fine. Don’t worry about us. But while we’re on the subject of worry, how’s Roland?”

“Passed out, but alive. He should be fine by the time we get there.”

I breathed out a sigh of relief. “That’s good. Keep him that way for me, ‘kay? I mean not the passed out part, just alive.”

“I knew what you meant.”

The train’s whistle blared from outside and I winced a little at the grating sound. “Sounds like we’re about to leave. I better go.”

“Then I’ll see you in DC.” Ray said. His version of a goodbye. “Till then, try to stay alive.”

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:37 am
Rydia says...

Aedolas "Ed" Forsyth

It was good that Mickey decided it was time to check in with Ray. Sure, there's a risk the phones can be tracked and sure, it would have been much better if I'd just been able to 'know' that Roland is okay but I haven't and I'm worried and I'm not the only one staring at Mickey so hard that it probably looks like we're in love with him. The difference being that I think Ash is in love with him and she's a girl so the other passengers won't think it's odd.

"He's passed out?" I ask when Mickey hangs up the phone. There are tears in Ash's eyes and she hugs Mickey impulsively, then blushes and pulls away, but not before thanking him for making the call.

"Yeah, but it sounds like he'll be okay."

I nod and the knot in my stomach slowly unravels a bit, but not enough to stop me feeling bad. And I deserve to feel bad, I have a right to feel bad.

1. We've been travelling all day without any food.
2. A crazy nymph tried to drown me and I actually liked the idea of being drowned by a hot girl. How messed up is that?
and 3. I've been absolutely useless so far.

By this point, I've proved myself an absolute disappointment since I couldn't even alleviate the team's worries bout Roland and if we get found because someone tracked our phones then that's on me.

"I'm glad he's okay," Caroline says, putting into words what we're all feeling and I nod and settle back against the checkered train seat.

"How many more of you are there?" Sofia asks. We're sitting in a six person setup with Mickey in the window seat, Ash sat next to him and Caroline and me sitting opposite them. Sofia's sat on my other side but doesn't seem to mind about being on the edge of the group. She doesn't seem to mind about a lot of things - we told her we were going the same way and just like that, she's sitting with us.

Sitting next to Sofia is another reason to feel bad. She's Roman, anyone can see that, but she probably doesn't realise that I'm Roman too. I mean, I'm not exactly the epitome of strength and vitality. Back at the camp I always found it easier to hang out with the Greek demi Gods because they value a huge variety of strengths rather than just strength itself.

"There are five in the other group, they're meeting us at DC," I tell her.

"Ed!" Caroline complains.

"Or seven. Maybe eight and maybe we're meeting another group after that further along the line," Mickey says in his easy going tone. Then he grins and shakes his head. "Except we're not because Ed here's incapable of telling a lie."

"Not incapable," I protest. "I simply choose not to."

"And you're not fighting on either side of the war." Sofia's expression is blank as she makes the statement but I get the sense that she's confused by us. We told her a bit about it on the way to the station but she hasn't told us what side of the war she's on yet. And she must have a side because nobody who gives off vibes of strength like her is sitting on the benches for this one. Like I said, I'm not exactly the epitome of a Roman deity because if I was, I'd be right in the thick of the fighting. Like my sister probably is... man I hope that she's okay.

"We want to stop the war," I tell her and the others shoot me warning glances, as if we're all in agreement to not say anything about it, but I don't remember making that agreement. And I would; I never break my word once I've given it.

"The war will stop when one side wins," Sofia says after a brief pause. "That's the only way wars ever end."

"What about peace treaties?" I protest.

"Simply another way for one side to win," she replies.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

558 Reviews

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:22 am
erilea says...

Mehenia Garthen

A grunt escaped my lips as I yanked on the chain. Rose and Olivia pulled behind me with all their might, trying to reel in a terrific catch of monstrous hellhound.

Another hellhound. What luck our team was having.

I could see a writhing figure approaching in the distance, a black mass tumbling about desperately trying to rid itself of its trap. Mortals around us warily hurried around the monster, probably thinking that it was some drunk homeless man stumbling through the station.

As the chain slid in my hand, rubbing my skin until it was raw, I glanced at the board telling us when the bus could come. Would that be enough to vaporize the hellhound and send it back to Tartarus? Doubtful, if the hellhound was any decent monster at all.

"Ray, do your tendrils-of-darkness thing. I can't hold on very well!" I shouted, planting my feet on the concrete floor. He shook his head.

"I don't have enough energy. Even if I did, my anxiety is messing my control up. I can't do it if I don't have a clear mindset."

I gave a frustrated sigh. The only thing to do was to take it on by myself, seeing as I had been practically useless. Besides, I hadn't used my daggers in a while. They could use a little bit of wear and tear. A smile grew on my face. "Then take my place on the chain. I'll take care of it."

"What? No! You're too--"

"Do it!"

He rushed forward, gripped the chain, and dug in his heels, frowning in my direction. "Don't get hurt, whatever you do! Look, you're a valuable member of the team, and--"

"And you aren't? If I am a valuable member of the team, don't I have to start acting like one?" I shrugged. "Be right back, Mom." I ran towards the hellhound, daggers at the ready, the staff hiding in my backpack. "Hey! Dog-breath! Yeah, I'm talking to you! I've got more generic insults where that came from!"

It looked at me with hate, its furious panting proving that the monster really did live up to its nickname.

I got close enough to pat its snotty muzzle. Slashing out with my daggers, I cut a nasty gash along its nose and kicked the monster right in its wound, watching as it howled in pain. As it swiped its paw at me, I ducked and leaped forward with a flurry of cuts, aiming for its front leg. When I was finished, somersaulting away and hopping onto a nearby bench, the hellhound was effectively immobilized on one leg.

"Come and get me, furball!" Jumping from the top of the bench, I landed on its head and lifted my dagger, preparing to stab out its eye.

But I hesitated. I knew this was the cliche moment in every adventure story where the hero questions the moral values of killing whatever opponent he's going up against, but I couldn't help it. I'd had a Saint Bernard who looked so similar to the hellhound. He had to be put to sleep because of a car accident that had crushed most of his bones. Just looking at the hellhound make me double-guess myself.

Unfortunately, the pause was all he needed. It reached up with its massive paws and batted me off its head. I plowed into the ground fifteen feet away, scraping my skin on the rough surface. It hurt like Hades, but I needed to bring this monster down, regardless of sentimental memories.

Charging at it with a howl, I dove under its gargantuan jaws at the last moment and skidded under its chest. At just the right time, I plunged my dagger into its heart and ducked out from under it, watching as it faded into golden dust and settled on the ground.

Ray, Rose, and Olivia fell backwards, the chain flying back with them. I jogged over, scraping my daggers against each other to clean off the monster remains.

"Mia! Are you okay? What's that on your arms?"

"It's fine, Ray. I just fell on the pavement. It's only a couple of scrapes that's al--"

"Ambrosia, Olivia!" he called. "A couple of squares, maybe."

"Ray! I'm fine, really. I don't need--" I broke off as he stuffed a chunk in my mouth, glaring at him. "I don'th neeth thith thtuff," I grumbled angrily. Even as I said that, I felt the wounds healing, patching themselves up on my arm and taking the pain along with them. Maybe I did need the ambrosia a little.

"The bus is here, guys," Rose urged. "Come on! Help me with Roland!"

Olivia and Rose dragged the unconscious boy onto the bus and Ray and I dashed through the doors before they slid closed. As the wheels began churning the road, we settled into the available seats. We attracted no small number of cautious glances from strangers, but all I cared about was sleep. Even as I slid my daggers in their sheaths, my eyelids drifted shut and darkness was all I could see.

Hearing these stories makes me realize that I never did anything with my childhood.
— The Internet