Young Writers Society

Rogue

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:22 pm
View Likes
Virgil says...

Virginia Wyss

Virginia looked around, gazing upon the portal that spit her out. This only reminded her more of the books her fathers used to take turns reading to her. The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland both came to mind. She stumbled, picking herself up from the ground and putting a hand against a stone wall.

Where am I? she thought. Virginia followed the wall, her heart thumping out of anxiety until she came upon a gate guarded by two men. "State your name and case for being at the gates of the capital." One of them spoke through his helmet, looking straight ahead, not taking a single glance at her.

"I don't know...where I am." Virginia replied, glancing at the sword that sat on his belt sheathed. She didn't know what else to say. Panic rushed through her as she looked at the ground, avoiding eye contact.

"Another freeloader? Get lost." the woman said, lifting up her helmet to inspect her. Then, her eyes widened, "You're not from here, are you?"

Virginia's face reddened. She couldn't lie now. "I'm not. I told you I don't know where I am."

"King Andreau is going to be happy to see you. You're going to have to come with me." the woman grabbed her with cold gloves and held Virginia's hands behind her back, beginning to tie a knot with rope.

"No. I'm not going with you." Virginia fled from the scene, running into the open prairie. Her feet slammed against the ground. The two charged her with weapons in hand. They gained on her even when she went at a full sprint.

Virginia threw a hand back at them, not thinking it'd do anything. "Stop!" she shouted, her voice echoing into the air. In a single movement, a pair of vines sprouted from her shoulders and constricted the guards.

Without a single hesitation, she took off, thoughts racing through her mind. Everything went so quickly and then--she bumped into someone. She rubbed her eyes, "Watch it, you--oh." she began to say before realizing she'd come across another human.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

223 Reviews

Reviews: 223
Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:26 pm
View Likes
Kelpies says...

Nina Jones

Word to the wise: Do not after appearing in a fantastical kingdom begin spinning so much that you forget which way is up- never mind lose the ability to sense when someone's about to run into you. I was so dizzy that I fell over right on my tailbone, and took a moment to focus on the person who had run into me. She dressed like a typical person from my world, so I started to wonder if I was just in some prairie on earth and the portal trip had been some stress-induced write over of my memories to hide the trauma of whatever had happened to get me here.

I was probably overthinking again. "Sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going." I said, getting up and brushing myself off. "I'm Smoke." I said, introducing myself as the character from my book- just in case she really wasn't trustworthy. Besides, I was functioning on her courage right now, so why not take her name as well?

The woman looked a little taken aback- as if I wasn't quite what she thought I was. "I'm Virginia." She responded.

I looked behind her, then saw why she was running. Guards were chasing her. "Keep moving and I won't tell anyone I saw you, Virginia." I said, assuming that there had to be a reason they were chasing her, and a reason she didn't seem to want to be caught. She nodded and took off- running into the forest.

"Did you see which way she went?" asked the guards when they caught up with me.

I creased my brow. "Who?" I said- which was obviously the wrong thing to say- we were in an open grassland, and there was no possible way I could have missed her. They then took a good look at me.

"She's not from around her either." One guard said to another.

"Ma'am, if you could please come with us-" I didn't wait to hear the rest of their response, I took off running too. Ten minutes in another world and I'm already on the run- because that bodes well for the future. Definitely. 100%. I tried to run in the opposite direction as I'd seen Virginia go. The guards dashed into the forest after me, and I hid in a bush. I held my breath as they searched right by my bush, and they took off after a twig that snapped in the distance. I hauled myself out of the bush, and went after Virginia- who seemed to be friendly enough and might be able to help me figure out what was going on.

I eventually caught up with her, but she seemed not to see me approach. "Hello again." I said, she jumped, and turned to see me. Strangely, when she turned she seemed to look right through me.

"Smoke?" She questioned.

"Yep, that's me."

She squinted in my direction. "I can't see you."

"How can you not? I'm right here." I walked up to her and waved my hand in front of her face, only then did I realize that I couldn't see my own hand. "Oh sweet cheese and crackers."
We are who we are, and if someone has a problem with that; that's their problem not ours.
I do believe that insane is the only way to go.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:13 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

CreaSays – Consumed

I think I understand a bit more what discrimination feels like.

For the umpteenth time, the sentence echoed in Hanabi’s mind as she walked towards Thomas’ village. She remembered something that one of her friends – Tania - had said in drama class. How she could easily tell which people were fearful of her either because of the color of her skin, or what it implied to them. Tania could tell, or so she had claimed, because of their eyes. The way they stared at her from a distance, the way their demeanor changed just by her presence being a bother, the way their whispers echoed through the air as she passed, or even just the way the very silence itself would form, uneasy, unbearable.
Of course, Hannah believed her friend. She understood her, even: she knew she had had similar experiences because of the way she dressed, the way she talked, the way she appeared and was perceived by others. It wasn’t quite the same, but certainly similar enough to understand. It was only she took her first steps in this medieval village, however, that she fully understood what it meant.
Hanabi would see Thomas greeting people as he passed. They would greet back, but upon seeing her, it was as if their entire beings slammed themselves shut at the mere sight of her being. They’d glance at her suspicious clothing, their smiles would disappear, and their facial expressions would harden as they stared from head to toe, whispering to whoever was close enough to hear them. Wherever Hanabi turned her masked face to, she only met hostility, arms reaching for the reassuring hold of farming tools turned into improvised weapons, and from time to time, an unnatural silence.

“We’re almost there!” Thomas told her, blissfully unaware of any of the things Hanabi was noticing. Her eyes widened behind her mask. ...Goss, tell me YOU at least noticed the hostility here. Hanabi called in her mind.

Of course I did, Hanabi. Goss assured. Long before we entered here. But from your thought patterns, it looks like it’s the first time this happens to you.

It’s not that. I just… I just remembered a friend who used to tell me I was blind, and I used to think she was exaggerating. But now…

You’re in her shoes, and you get a good look at her world for the first time.

…I still don’t think it’s quite that bad… But I understand now that depending on where you go, it can probably get this bad. Oh gosh, some of them look like they want to impale me on sight!

Don’t worry, Hana. They won’t do anything of the sort with me around, and you can always use some warning shots. People here fear magic, especially if they don’t have access to it themselves.

...True, but what did I tell you about my name?

…It’s… Um… Short for Hanabi. Goss pitifully whispered in her mind. Hanabi smirked and patted the fox’s head. Okay, fine. You can call me that from time to time. Goss happily rubbed his head against her cheek. The gesture, though appeasing, did not make the suspicious look grow any warmer around Hanabi, but by that point, she didn’t care anymore. None of these eyes could match the horrifying vision of the burning forest that still haunted Hanabi’s memory. With that in mind, yet another smile grew on her face, and stayed there until her and Thomas finally reached a large, stone house, which Thomas claimed was were the mayor resided.

“Here we are!” Thomas exclaimed as he knocked respectfully at the wooden door. An old man came out, wearing the same attire as Thomas – Hanabi could only assume that they didn’t have the money for much clothing variety – with a straw hat, brown field boots and a fancy, overgrown and shiny moustache that was, most certainly, the man’s pride and joy.
“Ah, Thomas!” the mayor exclaimed, opening his muscular arms as if to imprison the boy in a hug. “Back from the forest already?” then, the man noticed Hanabi standing next to Thomas, and just like the other villagers, his face changed, as if steeling itself. Then, he gazed back at Thomas, and back at her. He raised a curious eyebrow as a result. “And… who would that be?” he continued, careful, but calm.

Hanabi decided that she liked this man. Surely, he had his fears like the others, but he was understanding enough to treat her like an actual human being. “Greetings.” Hanabi said as she took a careful step forward towards the man. “This may sound like a repeat to Thomas here, but I am a Harvester from the Apocrean Garden, a faraway realm the likes of which there is little chance you’ve ever seen. You may refer to me as Hanabi. May I please have your name?”

“They call me Mayor Tim, and I’d prefer if you did that, too.” Tim replied, crossing his arms. “Apocrean Garden, eh? Never heard of that place before.”

“Like I said, Mayor Tim, it isn’t a place I expected anyone to be familiar with.” Hanabi patiently repeated. “I came to this realm to investigate on a series of strange happenings that plague worlds like this one, and crossed through a magic portal to come here. However, as I set foot into the forest nearby, a creature called a Djinnmok assaulted me, and–”

“Hold on, you got attacked by the Djinnmok?” Tim repeated, incredulous. “And you’re still alive?”

To be fair, I’m surprised of that, too. Hanabi thought to herself, smirking behind her mask. “I am, fortunately.” she replied. “I managed to defeat the creature, but a part of the forest was burned during the battle. I hope this won’t hinder your ways of life in any way, as I must admit, I did not expect such an… unwelcoming greeting.”

Mayor Tim waved his hand, as if to move a fly out of his line of sight. “I don’t know who or what you are, but lemme tell ya: if you did get rid of the Djinnmok, I don’t think anyone would complain about it, and certainly not me. Ah, something about that, though.” the Mayor added, lifting a finger as he thoughtfully stroked his moustache with his other hand. “There’s an old man that lives by the mansion at the edge of the village. We call him the War Mage. Said some time ago he was gonna get rid of the Djinnmok ‘cause it was troublin’ his peace or something, so, maybe you should go and tell him he doesn’t need to do that, since you did it yourself.”

“Of course.” Hanabi assured, gazing at the distant mansion she could indeed see yonder. It was a bit far away, but she wouldn’t mind the walk. “I hope he won’t be cross about it, as it wasn’t my goal to mingle with anyone’s affairs just yet.”

“No, he should be fine with it.” Tim assured. “’Sides, he’s interested in magic portals, too. If there’s anything you want to investigate, go see him. As long as you don’t cause any trouble here, people won’t do anything to ya.” He grinned. “Especially not after the news I’ll make sure to bring them.”

“It is a pleasure to know that I could help you all.” Hanabi said, bowing gracefully before the mayor, to his surprise. “Thank you for your valuable information, Mayor Tim. I’d best be on my way.” She turned to Thomas. “And thank you for accompanying me this far. My Familiar and I shall continue from here. Until we meet again.”

“Oh! Um… Bye!” Thomas said uneasily as Hanabi departed. “And thanks again for helping!”

Without turning back, Hanabi raised a hand, waving at the boy as she walked.

I guess this War Mage’s our only real clue, now. Goss commented. Maybe he can tell us why this Djinmok attacked us.

You, especially. Hanabi replied, concerned. That it attacks me because I was in the way, sure, but why did it target you?

Well, my powers awakened when the portal appeared. Goss revealed. Or, to be precise, we were always connected, but always through different worlds, so it was hard to tell, aside when we weren’t consciously active. I’m sure you had a lot dreams about foxes, because I sure had a lot of dreams in which I was human.

Hanabi’s eyes widened. She did remember writing down a few dreams, amazingly realistic, in which she’d been turned into a fox for some reason. She could never tell why these were so… important to her. They just were. What kind of human were you in your dreams? she couldn't help but ask.

Uh… It’s a bit weird. I was this… kid, I think, wearing very thin fur over my skin, because you humans do that ‘cause you’re fur-less and all.

Just call these clothes. Hanabi informed, amused.

Right. So, I was wearing clothes, and I remember that I had to hold some sort of wooden stick to hit a round… ball thing across a field. Like I said: weird. It was fun, though!

That’s… That sounds like baseball. Well that’s accurate, I was a serious baseball fan, as a kid. Well, still kind of am, but not as much.

For the rest of the walk, Hanabi attempted to explain the concept of sports to her Familiar, and by the time they reached the manor, Goss had at least understood the rules of baseball, but couldn’t quite grasp its utility. The duo eventually stopped their mental conversation as soon as they found themselves in front of the old manor. It looked quite different from everything else in the village, with its brown colored walls, impeccable glass windows and gray-colored door stuck between two dark brown-colored, imposing stone pillars. If all of this had been painted, this War Mage certainly was dedicated to his home.

Hana, look!

Following Goss’ gaze, Hanabi’s heart missed a beat as she walked closer to the side of the mansion, where a large garden resided. A large amount of gravestones had been placed here and there in the garden. There were about sixty of them, and many weren’t polished. Names were half visible, with grass slowly starting to invade the older stones. Then, Hanabi remembered Thomas, and how sad he looked when he mentioned the Djinnmok, and how it killed anyone in sight. The Djinnmok's scream, the burning flames, and the smell of cinder invaded Hanabi's mind once again.

…Hana…

Don’t worry, Goss. Hanabi assured, fighting off the tears that were trying to breach the limit of her eyes. I’m fine. After all, we already know what to do with this situation, don’t we?

But… And the War Mage?

We’re literally next to his place. I’ll just… clean up the graves a bit.

As you wish, Hana. But then… Don’t forget the chant, okay?

Hanabi let a cheerful smile grow on her face as she approached a first grave, scratching away the invading grass with the tip of her finger. “With the tip of the shovel: Strike the Earth.” She chanted. “With the delicacy of your hands: Crash to Ash. With the dance of your Familiar Fox: Back to the Soil. Final act of mercy, Stick that Rod.”

Hanabi had once again lost track of time as she hummed to herself, slowly but carefully completing her task. It had been quite the ordeal to create even tinier versions of her Ignite Sparks, but thanks to Goss' advices and encouragements, she had succeeded, and burned away the invading grass out of the graves. She polished them as well as she could with a nearby fountain’s water, as well as strange, large blue leaves that seemed to have been put next to the fountain for cleaning purposes. Hanabi raised from the ground, contemplating her work with satisfaction. The graves weren’t shiny, but at least the names on them could all be read.

Thomas is here. Goss announced. He’s been staring at us for the past hour.

Oh, it only took an hour this time?

You didn’t notice? I’ll take it you feel better, then.

A lot better. And the… visions are gone.

Okay, well, maybe you should say something to him, so, time to improvise again!

That, I can do.
Spoiler! :
Hanabi's theme: Apocrean Acting
phpBB [media]

“Have no fear, Thomas.” Hanabi exclaimed without turning back. “My work is complete, and this wonderful place shall be relieved of my presence shortly.”

Only the silence replied her, until careful steps behind Hanabi broke it. Eventually, Thomas appeared in her line of sight. “How… How did you know I was here?” he asked quietly.

Should I?

What, tell him that it’s me? Um, if the Djinnmok was sent after me by someone or something, and that something came to know any information about us, I’d rather give them as little leads as possible, thank you.

Interesting side of you, Goss. “We Harvesters have an acute perception of our surroundings.” Hanabi said to Thomas. “We don’t solely rely on our eyes to see things.”

The boy gazed at Hanabi. He seemed awestruck, but remained silent as he focused his look back on the graves. “…Were you… um… singing earlier?”

“Yes, I was. It is… a bit of a ritual of ours. Though in my specific case, I find singing to be rather calming when I perform my endeavors.”

Thomas once again nodded in silence, and they went back to contemplating the graves. Then, Thomas eventually turned his head towards Hanabi again. “Can I… ask you something?”

“Of course, Thomas.”

Thomas pointed at a tombstone on the far left of their position. It was the last one Hanabi had cleaned up before finishing her work. “That’s… That’s my Dad’s grave.” Thomas revealed, sadness invading his tone. “Can you… sing something for him? I don’t… know what Harvesters really do, but maybe… It could help?”

Hanabi turned her mask in Thomas’ direction, seemingly impassive. She fought back against the urge to hug the poor boy. He reminded of what she’d felt when her own mother died, long before what happened several hours ago. It was unfair to lose someone as close as a parent so soon.

Go ahead, Hana. Goss said gently. We’re not in a hurry just yet. And if you want to help him, I don’t see why I should tell you to do otherwise.

You’re an angel, Goss. Jump on his shoulder, please. Hanabi held out her arm, and Goss immediately walked towards it before leaping to Thomas’s shoulder, to the boy’s surprise. His eyes widened when the flaming fox rubbed its cheek against his and put it tail around his neck, as if protecting it against the slight wind of the area.

“Goss is trying to tell you that he relates to your pain.” Hanabi announced. “As do I. Come, child. We Harvesters cannot change the dead’s fate, but appeasing the living’s grief is part of our mission.” with that said, she walked towards the lone grave, Thomas right next to her. Hanabi stared at the tombstone, thinking about the appropriate song for such a moment. She had sung quite a few songs back when she performed in karaoke contests, but she didn’t recall any of them that was fitting enough for the setting of a graveyard.
…Except one.

If my voice sounds slightly off, I forbid you to laugh. Hanabi warned.

I never heard you sing, Hana, so you’d really have to screw up for me to do that. Goss retorted, slightly amused.

Reassured, Hanabi glanced at Thomas. When she was sure that he was indeed looking at the ground, she removed her mask as the memories of her chosen song flung back in her mind. It had been a while since she’d sung that one, but she had practiced a lot after her mother’s death. She’d never forget it.

Spoiler! :
phpBB [media]

“Hikkonukarete, anata dake ni tsuite yuku...
Kyou mo hakobu, tatakau, fueru, soshite taberareru.
Hottakasarete, mata atte nagerarete.
Demo watashitachi, anata ni shitagaitsukushimasu...”

“Sorosoro asonjaou ka na…
Sotto dekakete miyou ka naante.
Aa..., aa... ano sora ni...
Koi toka, shinagara...”

“Ironna inochi ga, ikiteiru kono hoshi de,
Kyou mo hakobu, tatakau, fueru, soshite taberareru.
Hikkonukarete, atsumatte, tobasarete.
Demo watashitachi ai shite kure to wa iwanai yo...

Sorosoro asonjaou ka na.
Motto ganbatte miyou ka naante.
Aa..., aa... ano sora ni...
Koi toka, shinagara...”

Hanabi gazed at the sky above her as the sadness of her tune invaded her mind. She had closed her eyes as she sung, an old reflex that hadn’t taken over her in a long, lost time.
The music continued in her head, but Hanabi stopped her song there. She would cry if she continued any further, and the last thing Thomas needed was to see her breakdown in front of him. But upon gazing back at him, Hanabi realized that maybe he would’ve never seen her in that state. After all, he was already crying himself. Unable to find any words that would reassure him in anyway, Hanabi placed her mask on her face once more and let Goss leap down on the ground. Then, she hugged the boy, allowing him to cry as much as he’d need to in her arms.

“I… I just realized.” Thomas said after it was over, wiping the tears of his eyes with his arm. “You’re a girl.”

A shard of her usual personality surfaced as Hanabi smirked behind her mask. “Oh? And what was I, before that realization?”

“I dunno… A scary enchanter. A scary enchanter that kills monsters.”

Hanabi’s smile grew larger. “Well, now, you may see me as a scary enchantress that sings lullabies to put the dead to sleep, and the living to rest.” She put a hand on Thomas’ shoulder. “Life goes on, Thomas. No matter what happens, strive to complete yours and give it a meaning. It’s the least you can do to ease your pain.”

“…Hanabi.” Thomas whispered, more to himself than to her. “…Hanabi from the Apocrean Garden.” He gazed at her, a new resolution enlightening his eye. “I’ll never, ever forget you.”

“I’d be more pleased if you never forgot my words.” Hanabi replied as she walked back to the mansion’s entrance, putting an arm to the ground to let Goss jump back on her shoulder as she passed. “But I am glad to know that my presence has already helped a soul like yours. Take care, Thomas. And may your garden of memories always be fertile.”

…What language was this, Hana? Goss inquired as the duo stopped in front of the door.

Japanese. Hanabi replied. One of the many languages of my world, and one I loved using in singing events. I don't speak it, but I've been told by Japanese people that my accent was flawless when I sung it. I hope it's still true.

And… the song?

…That…I’ll tell you later. Let’s get back to this meeting with the War Mage for now.

Right! The War Mage.

Smiling more cheerfully, Hanabi opened the door and engulfed herself inside the manor. For a split-second, she couldn’t help but think that there hadn’t been much “acting” in her previous performance. She’d have to consider removing her mask more often from time to time.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:46 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

phpBB [media]

King Andreau of Arium

"And when the light shines on the thirty-fifth day, Armond, I speak to the people to address their concerns with the nation."

Armond, who sat across from Andreau at a round table, dimly lit, raised his hand, allowing blue light to shine on the kingdom of Arium. "Democracy shall take root, my liege; however, you have neglected for too long the militant threat in the western border, and the headlands are overrun."

Andreau tapped eight pieces of his kingdom's territory on the board, causing their spaces to fall red, as much of the board had. The young king allowed a sigh of exhaustion to roll from his lips. "And if the Aurora Portcullis is prepared?"

Armond gazed across the board, brushing his hand through the lights. "The future is uncertain, my king. Beyond this point you would wish to consult a further scope."

Andreau shook his head, closing the board, wrapping it gently in the tablecloth to hide it from any in Armond's way. "I'm a tad uncomfortable beyond this point, Armond, though I appreciate your assistance, as always."

Armond bowed as he rose from the table. "It is always a pleasure to join you in the manor."

He began to leave, and Andreau raised an eyebrow. "Armond, will you not stay the night? A chill is sweeping from the mountains to the coast, and I would be distraught to see you ill on my account."

Armond shook his head. "I am afraid I have one further appointment tonight on a border town. An elderly woman begged her life's wage to know her husband's remaining days." His expression slowed, morphed into something cold and enigmatic. "Her answer shall be as devastating as her price."

Andreau took up resolve against this and pointed sternly to Armond. "To speak the deadly truth may be to fearmonger, but to charge a price in heartbreak is robbery!"

The advisor pouted. "And what would my lord do about this robbery in ethical business?"

"I would pay for her seeing."

Armond waited. "Eighty Aras, My King. You may prepare the finances upon my next visit."

Andreau watched him step off to the menagerie before looking to the table. "Armond! You would leave your board?"

"The price is covered in your gratuitous pennance, King Andreau. Please, enjoy."

Andreau scoffed. "Yes. Because I can tell the future so easily."

"You would be surprised! I just know you're dying to find out when Cial will return home." Andreau glanced at the table, where the board was opened; and when he glanced back to Armond, the room was emptied, door open to the menagerie.

He sat out beneath the crescent moon by a topiary of himself in a much younger form, almost as a cherub by his guess, and after a while tried to mimic the posture and form of the bush to no avail. It was close to the midnight hour when he heard footsteps and laughter clamoring up the walkway to the manor's front gate, where he hustled to meet the guards beset by many children--and his son, Cial.

"Welcome!" he greeted them, shocking most faces in the gang with unexpected happiness. "to Manor Arium! You may have been fearful before, but here, there are no problems!"

Sans war and famine and democracy and loss of faith in oneself and self esteem issues and budgeting and loss of family, torture, betrayal, assassination, betrayal, betrayal, war, war, betrayal, fortune telling advisors. . .
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:20 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Blake Novelo

Even though Percival was standing in front of him, he was still having trouble accepting the events that had just transpired as being real. His best friend had been alive all of these years, and was the prince of a kingdom in what he guessed was another world? It seemed like something straight out of a book, but it had to be the truth. It seemed impossible, but how else was he supposed to explain it?

He watched Percival – or should he call him Cial? – smile at the man who had to be the king. He normally wouldn't have liked someone with so much power, but Percival seemed to adore him from the look that he was giving him. The look completely threw Blake off. His best friend had never given that look to an adult before. He had been the only one that had received such a loving gaze.

“Father,” Percival suddenly said, the warm smile remaining on his face as he gestured back at the two that had come with him, “these two are Blake Novelo and Alec Johnston. They're from my...old home.” The king and his son exchanged a look of understanding; he seemed to know that Percival was from another world.

Then King Andreau looked away from his, his focus now on the two newcomers. Blake resisted the incredibly strong urge to stick his tongue out at the man before him. He was Percival's dad, and that meant that he had to make a good impression on him.

After all, we're best friends. He's not getting rid of me anytime soon.

Although it was fairly difficult to deny how good looking his best friend had become, and how the thought of them being something a little more than just best friends made his heart race faster than normal. But he could deal with that. Crushes were nothing new, though having one on Percival was definitely an interesting experience.

“Blake and I were best friends,” Percival added. “We used to do so much together, and I'm thrilled that we're able to see each other now.”

Blake shoved his hands into his pockets and gave Percival the same grin that he used to years ago. It was childish and always just a tad mischievous. He hadn't used it since he had lost Percival years ago; now it felt both unfamiliar and nostalgic. Percival looked over at him, the adoring smile he had been directing at the king moments earlier still remaining on his face. Being the recipient of it made blood rush to Blake's cheeks.

“I'm glad to see you too,” he muttered.

Percival's grin grew wider, and he spun around to face the king instead of his best friend. He still had that same optimistic view of the world that he had back when they were kids. His love for all of its little parts was so clear in every word that left his lips, and the way that his eyes shone whenever he had an idea – which happened almost constantly. It was easy to see the prince as the boy he had befriended years ago.

He glanced down at his hands. He was different now, wasn't he? He had always been a little critical of the world, but age had made him cynical. Did Percival still see him as the young boy he had once been, or had he become a stranger to the one person that mattered to him?

“I was thinking we could show them how magic works through a mock battle between the two of us, Father,” Percival suggested.

King Andreau smiled at his son. He had bags underneath his eyes, and there was something tense about the look on his face. He had to be in his thirties, but he carried himself as if he was he was much older. It didn't seem like Blake or Alec – who had been standing silent beside him the entire time – were the cause of it.

“Of course I'd help you impress your crush,” the king teased Percival, his smile growing larger at the hurried protests that followed. The exchange was a strange one for Blake to see; adults had never acted so kindly towards his best friend. Despite his unfamiliarity with what was happening, he was glad that Percival was content in his new life. He had always hoped that Percival would get to be truly happy someday.

✧ ✧ ✧

They ended up in the courtyard underneath the light of unfamiliar stars. Blake wanted to learn more about them and the constellations that they formed, but he knew that learning to control his magic was more important at the moment. He looked away from the twinkling lights. Percival and King Andreau stood several feet apart from each other, while Alec stayed beside Blake.

“There are three types of magic,” the king started. “My son and I both possess Elemental magic. It is the most common type.”

“It's the type of magic you have, Blake. Elemental magic stems from control over plants, flames, water, air, ground, darkness and light. I control water, and my father controls air. ” Percival elaborated. To emphasis his point, he created a small ball of water in his hand.

A strong wind suddenly blew Percival's hair back – the king was holding his hand out. The water splashed onto Percival's shirt, which caused the prince to smile once more. “It's fairly easy to deflect Elemental attacks once you master your powers. The other types of magic – Enhancers and Rogues – are more difficult to fight. Enhancers use magic to change an aspect of their body, and Rogues have miscellaneous magic. Althea's healing abilities fall into this category.”

“Emotions are tied to your magic, so you need to control your emotions when in a battle,” King Andreau elaborated as the wind died down to a very gentle breeze.

Flames leaped up as the woman grabbed on Percival's shoulder. Everything happened in a blur – him yelling out in protest, Percival struggling to break free and the woman's clothes catching on fire as she brought Percival towards the glowing disc hovering in the air. His anger and the merciless flames grew stronger as the distance between the woman and the disc became smaller-

“I think that covers the basics,” Percival said. “Father, are you ready to begin our fight?”

The king smiled. Moments later, a fight had broken out between the two. Blake and Alec both watched in awe. It was one thing to see magic in action, but it was a completely different thing to see it used in battle. The king and his son went back and forth with their attacks. The king would send a steady stream of air towards Percival, only for a solid wall of water to defend the younger of the two. When Percival gained the upper hand and sent a barrage of water in his father's direction, it would be pushed back by a fierce gust of wind.

Unsurprisingly, the less experienced Percival was the one that lost. Blake couldn't help but laugh when he saw the two of them. They were completely soak, and their hair looked as if they had stuck their head out of a window of a moving car. Even when he felt the stares of them and Alec, he didn't stop.

“You look ridiculous!” he got out in between giggles. He heard Alec snicker from beside him. The two members of royalty looked over at each other, then back at Blake.

Moments later, the four had all broken out into much needed laughter.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell