Young Writers Society

The Angel Experiment

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:21 pm
View Likes
regismare says...

The Angel Experiment

In a hidden science lab deep in the Colorado hills, a group of the world's best scientists make a breakthrough: the first human-animal chimeras.

Genetically spliced and engineered, the recombinant children were raised and experimented on, kept in cages and treated like labrats. They were the company's prized specimens. However, later generations of "superior" superhumans rendered this batch useless. Just before they were due to be put down, the few live children - by this time almost adults - were stolen away by sympathetic scientists and technicians.

Now, dumped in the Northern wastes of Manitoba, these adolescents have to survive. And it's not only the polar bears they have to contend with: they are illegal, evidence of the scientists' crimes, and the shady transnational corporation who commissioned their creation wants them dead - and they're sending people to make sure it happens.

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Sexuality:[/b]
[b]DNA Origin Species:[/b]
[b]Up for Romance:[/b]
[b]Temperament:[/b]
[b]Physical Appearance:[/b]

Other Things To Note
  • A good percentage of the recombinant children are avian/human (hence the title). So feel free to give your characters wings and a taste for birdseed!
  • The point of the genetic engineering was to achieve physical abilities that are above an average humans', so be sure to state what your characters' abilities are and how the animal DNA had affected their bodies.
  • The characters would have been kept close to each other to stop them from loosing their minds while growing up, so they're not complete strangers. Some may even be friends.
  • These children will have been through a lot, and will have seen some bad stuff so make sure to keep that in mind when creating and writing them (but everyone copes with trauma differently, so y'know).
  • If the characters are recaptured, they will be put down. They are aware of this.
  • The characters have not been taught social skills, nor how to function within society. They'll have inevitably picked things up from the scientists and nurses, but it won't be adequate.
  • News of the characters' unique abilities and potential has spread, and it's not only their creators who want to imprison them. The characters are not initially aware of this.
  • The characters weren't given names by the scientists, and so named themselves.

Normal Storybook Rules Apply

Based heavily on Maximum Ride by James Patterson
Last edited by regismare on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
awaiting world war three

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:16 am
View Likes
regismare says...

Jay

He lay in the back of a truck as it shuddered along the ground. He was tangled in a pile with other mutants in the boot of a Jeep with darkened windows. For the first time in as long as he could remember, he wasn't caged and his wrists were unbound. He was free to unfurl his wings and move his arms and legs and stretch. Jay sat with his wings curled around the other mutants in a show of protection and reassurance.

They'd been driving through hours of dark and light. Jay had lost count of time, just like he had lost count of it during the experimentation, as eons of shifting light and engine rumble passed by. He'd forgotten how long ago it was that they'd all been stolen away into the car by a sympathetic red-haired scientist, bundled from their crates in a flurry of hushed gestures and quiet coaxing.

Jay hadn't been able to work out if they were being saved or being executed.

Beside him was a girl he recognised. She had dark brown skin and patches of fine fur over her legs - fur softer than any fabric or hospital gown Jay had ever worn. She kept her gaze away from his. Slung on his other side was Kay, nestled in the corner of the boot as if it were the most comfortable bed in the world.

"Hey," he greeted softly, offering a smile.

She smiled back, shakily. Jay shuddered slightly. Unease snaked its way up his spine.

Opposite him were Cairn and Morphine. Cairn looked as if he was keeping his fear under control, whereas Morphine sat with his legs drawn up to his chest in a perfect portrait of terror. His eyes were wide, his pupils huge and afraid. Jay felt a pang of empathy, but stayed silent as the Jeep continued on. After a while, his eyelids began to rock shut with the motions of the car.

He woke from a nap with a jolt and a stiff neck. He wiped drool off of his face and scrambled upright, scanning around the mutants' faces for answers.

"What?"

"I don't know," Cairn said. It was strange to hear his voice without its usual wry sarcasm. "We've stopped."

He was right. There was silence, save from their laboured breathing and the determination of the rain on the tin-can roof. Then the boot door opened.

Morphine

Though he was half-blind, he could make out the grey overtones of the purple-brown landscape they were in. It was flat for as long as he could see, with what could have been shrubs or stunted trees. A single wooden shack stood next to them. The sky was a smothering blanket of grey, raining as if rain was all it had ever done and all it ever was going to do.

"C'mon! Hurry, please!"

A guiding hand on his arm led Morphine out of the jeep, onto cramp-tired legs that trembled. His heart bucked and shied in his chest. He pulled his wings around him against the cold, watching the rain roll off the oiled feathers as the other recombinant children leapt out of the truck.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for everything -"

"Where are we?" It was Cairn's voice, confident and entitled even after years of torture.

"Manitoba. Canada. A long way North." He recognised the scientists' voice. She was the one who was always gentle with the needles, who always gave general anaesthetic before a painful intrusion accompanied with quiet apologies and scraps of food.

"Why?" It was Jay's soft voice this time, firm and demanding in its meekness.

"I wanted to free you all. There isn't much time. They'll come for you. I have to go now - they'll be looking for me too. There isn't time to explain any more, I have to go and so do you. Here, I bought food and clothes."

She handed Kay, Cairn, and Jay three huge bags - or, at least, they were huge according to Morphine's skewed vision - filled with supplies.

"I'm sorry for everything they did to you."

"It's..." Morphine began to speak but trailed off as memories of needles, shocks, and surgeries came back, fresh as the wounds on his chest. The scientist gave what looked like a small, sad smile as she swung herself up into the driver's seat again.

"It's not much, but it's all I could think of. Find somewhere safe. Good luck."

The engine started up again. No-one spoke as she turned around and retreated South. Morphine looked around at the group, still processing what had happened. They stood wrapped in their wings, warmed by feathers they didn't know how to fly with.

He wanted to cry.
awaiting world war three

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:20 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

Kaolin (Kay)

Kaolin tilted her head up, feeling the raindrops plink on her face, one after another. A few drops landed in her eyes and she blinked rapidly to repel them. The water slid down her cheeks like tears.

Amid the loud, whispery rush of rain, she could hear the receding hum of the scientist's car. They really were alone, now. Her, and whoever else had been stuffed in the boot as well.

Hefting the bag she had been handed by the scientist, Kay let out a long breath. None of the other mutants said anything.

"Well," said Kay, shifting her feet, unused to wearing the snug boots she had been given. "Does there happen to be a place where we can get dry?" When no one responded, she frowned. "Then I hope you don't mind getting out of the way so the blind mutant can search for shelter."

"Go ahead," drawled Cairn, obviously having regained his sense of sarcasm. "I won't get in your way."

"There's a shack behind us, Kay," said Jay, ignoring Cairn. His tone was weary but still gentle.

Moments later Kaolin felt a familiar hand on her arm, tugging her in the right direction. She pulled out of its grasp with a grumble of "I'll be fine, Jay. I don't need help." She stepped forward with one hand outstretched to feel for something solid, careful that she didn't trip as she went.

She had to hide her satisfaction when her hand actually met wood, and even more so when she found the doorknob and pushed the door open.

They all filed in and shook off their wet wings. Kay heard rustling and a few thuds, so she figured that some of her companions had sat down. She carefully set down her bag where she was sure to find it again and walked about with one hand on the wall to gauge for herself how big the shack was while trying to keep from bumping into other mutants at the same time.

The room was pretty big, by her standards. Kay calculated that it must have been at least the length of seven or eight lab cages, and certainly much taller than a few.

As she was making her way back from the other side, she nudged another mutant, who might have given a quiet hiss--Kaolin wasn't sure--and scooted away from her.

"Sorry," said Kay simply. And that was all. She tried not to dwell on how incidents like these wouldn't happen if she still had her sight. More carefully this time, she made her way around and stopped when the tips of her shoes met something soft.

She sat and felt around the bag for an opening. She unzipped it and reached her hand inside, feeling its contents.

"Okay. Someone help me take inventory of we have."

She might as well do something useful. It was about all she could do.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:19 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

Cairn

Cairn got up from his comfortable perch on the far wall of the shack and crossed to Kay. She was staring at the bag of supplies with eyes that couldn't see, that hadn't seen in years. Crouching down next to her, he pulled the bag out of her hands and slid it in front of him.

“Hey!” Kay shouted, but Cairn ignored her. He knew she was too proud to admit when she was unable to do something because of her sightless eyes, so sometimes he just had to do it himself.

“Oh, would you rather I let you continue staring at it? You're not getting anywhere, and we need to sort this as soon as possible.” Kay flinched at his sharp words, but he knew there was no way around it. Kindness wasn't the way to slay her pride.

Suddenly Morphine leapt off the ground and approached the window, hastily shushing the others. Cairn cautiously approached the same window, and they fought over who would use it. Eventually, they decided upon an agreement of half and half.

There was a figure standing outside in the rain. The figure seemed to be aware of the shack and was facing it. Morphine and Cairn watched as the figure began approaching the shack. Cairn ran to the door.

“Where are you going?!” Morphine hissed under clenched teeth.

“To challenge whoever is out there.”

“That is a horrible idea,” Morphine said, grabbing his sleeve.

Cairn looked him in the eye, sharing words that did not need to be spoken aloud. “I'm not risking the safety of everyone here. If that's one of the scientists, we're in trouble. Would you favor us sitting here and hoping for luck on our side? We've been in too many screwed up places to bank on luck.”

Morphine let him go, and Cairn the nearest sharp object – a pen knife that was there for god knows what reason – and hopped out of the doorway. By now, the figure had noticed him and was approaching. Cairn had intended to keep a level head, but panicked when the figure began running. He spread his wings and glided (closest he could come to flying) over the earth below him, heading straight towards the figure. The figure realized it was a target and hopped back, but not fast enough. Cairn kicked it in the gut, knocking it back. He spun around it and plunged the pen knife into its back.

While the pen knife couldn't do a lot of damage, the injury slowed down the figure's movements, and Cairn was able to shove it to the ground. He raised the pen knife, preparing to stab the figure through the neck, when a flash of lightning illuminated the figure's face. It was Saturn.

“Saturn!” Cairn shouted above the deafening rain. “I thought you were dead!”

Saturn shined a grin. “I'm about to be if you don't get me out of this horrific rain.”

Okay, first of all, who names their dinner? I don't want to know my dinner's name. This potato--is this potato named Steve?
— Rick Riordan, The Sword of Summer