z

Young Writers Society

Dragon's Flight

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:28 pm
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

Many years ago, the country of Delmont was scourged with the fire of dragons. For centuries the humans and the dragons battled one another for dominion until neither side could remember why the warring began.

They kindness of a young girl had been the salvation for both races. Having found an abandoned dragon egg, she hatched it and raised it as her own. Proving that both human and dragon could live in harmony, peace was called for by both races. Together they agreed to a small force of Riders to ensure that peace was kept in balance for both races.

Centuries later, Delmont is ruled by a tyrannical matriarch. Both her and her Dragon have conquered and now control the country with an iron fist. With her are five Dragon Riders who follow her orders no matter how cruel. With these riders, she believes herself unchallengable.

What she doesn't know about is that four Riders have secretly been with the Rebellion, managing to keep out of sight within the Frozen Peaks mountain range. For years the rebellion has been trying to get to the last of the Dragon eggs within the Queen's fortress, and finally they succeeded in stealing one.

That egg has now hatched to an unaligned rider and now the Queen and the Rebellion are looking for them. Should the Queen find the Rider they will be forced to serve or put to death. Should the Rebellion find the Rider, they might just stand a chance at freeing the country from the Queen's rule.

((Yes this is inspired by the Inheritance Cycle. All characters are open to include the Queen and the leader of the Rebellion. Not all writers have to be Riders but if a Rider is selected then a Rider and their Dragon must be created.))

Rules:
1. General YWS Rules apply
2. Romance is allowed.
3. No killing another person's character or dragon without permission.
4.To keep this SB from dying I am implementing a two week posting requirement. You must post for each character within two weeks.

Special Notes:
Just because you are on one side or the other doesn't mean that you have to stay on one side or the other. A Rider for the Queen can choose to defect just as a soldier from the Rebellion could choose to betray his friends for a title.

Only Riders have the ability to use magic. Magic is similar to the dragon that they are bonded to with a few generic ones, such as healing. Magic is based off of life energy and practice. The more someone uses their magic, the more powerful their magic can become. However, there are limitations. Magic cannot bring anyone back from the dead and there is no instant kill magic.

Dragons
All dragons are big enough to ride at this point. So minimum of six months old. This way we don't have to wait months for characters to ride. There are four classifications:

Fear
While large, they are more stream line in their build than other types of dragons. They are usually darker colors (black, dark purple, dark blue, dark red, etc.) Mainly built for speed and stealth these dragons have larger wings and excellent night vision. Females are larger than Males in this type of dragon. Generally do not have markings and shoot plasma.
Males: 20 feet tall and 18 feet long.
Females: 23 feet tall and 20 feet long.
Note on Fear Magic: Fear magic mainly involves necromancy and creating fear. Some of the more advanced spells can trap an individual in a coma reliving their worst nightmare over and over.

Fire
General idea of a dragon. Brightly colored and breathing scorching fire. Sometimes prone to be quite volatile in their personalities.
Males: 40 feet tall and 30 feet long
Females: 30 feet tall and 20 feet long

Ice
These dragons are more inclined to cold weather. As such they generally have fur instead of scales, more birdlike wings, and a thicker skull for burrowing in ice and snow. Generally they are light blue or white in color and breath Ice. More often they are considered the calmest and more gentle of the four types.
Males: 18 feet tall and 15 feet long
Females: 15 feet tall and 12 feet long.

Water
Generally longer and slender than a Fire Dragon with a more serpentine look to them. Their usually various shades of blue with wings that are large and design for swimming as well as flight. They shoot super heated jets of water that can melt the flesh off of a human. Males and Females are often the same size but females usually have markings around their eyes and the tips of their tails.
Males: 30 feet tall and 40 feet long
Females: 30 feet tall and 40 feet long

Reserved Characters:

Queen: Ceridwen and Kreagron(@EvangelineFire)
Queen's Rider 1: Valkir and Asgal (@XxXTheSwordsmanXxX)
Queen's Rider 2: Kaia and Hali(@Lael)
Queen's Rider 3: Æglæca and Desdemona(@featherstone9086)
Queen's Rider 4:
Queen's Rider 5:

Rebellion Leader:
Rebellion Rider 1: Samuel and Falia (@XxXTheSwordsmanXxX)
Rebellion Rider 2: Viktor and Kvasir (@regismare)
Rebellion Rider 3:Aquila and Fyrmide (@Remembrance and @Basil)
Rebellion Rider 4:

Unaligned Rider: Averil and Glacia(@PrincessInk)

Plot Writer Pad: http://xxxtheswordsmanxxx.writerfeedpad.com/8

Character sheets
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Rider: Yes or No[/b]
[b](If Rider)Name of Dragon:[/b]
[b]Faction: Rebellion or Queen[/b]
[b]Strengths: [/b]
[b]Flaws:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Brief History:[/b]
[b]Available for Romance:[/b]

Dragon Sheet
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Type:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Rider:[/b]
[b]Side:[/b]
Last edited by XxXTheSwordsmanXxX on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.

107 Reviews

Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:09 am
View Likes

Samuel

So there's another rider, Samuel thought to himself. The leader of the Rebellion had just told him that there was unconfirmed reports of an unknown dragon in the wilderness.

"Without any idea of where they might be, we have to leave immediately to try and find them before the Queen does," he said to himself. Moving through the main area of the Rebellion underground, stalls of weapons, food, clothing surrounding him. In the pathways children ran about swinging wooden swords. Samuel took not of a smaller kid hurrying to catch up to a group of children that were bigger than him. With a laugh the largest began beating on the smaller boys shield making him trip backwards.

Samuel moved over and helped the falling child to his feet. "He's bigger than you," Samuel said kneeling down to be at eye level with the boy. "That means your smaller, harder to hit. Don't try to go toe to toe with him. He's going to overpower you. Use your own skills. I bet your fast." The boy nodded quickly. "When he swings, I want you to tilt your shield and step toward his sword arm. Then follow up with a strike."

The boy nodded as he moved toward the larger kid. The larger one swung, the smaller did as Samuel told him and got the larger right between the shoulder blades. The look of surprise on both of their faces made Samuel chuckle before heading to get the supplies he needed.

Falia

Falia smiled as she banked into the wind that swept through the mountains with a frightening howl. Her wings beating as she soared in the brilliant sunlight. Drifts of snow left in her wake as she rushed passed them with the weight on her back. She was smiling, as well as a dragon could smile, as she came into the roost.

She took a deep breath as she enjoyed the feeling of freedom running through her veins.

"I see you had a good flight," one of the stable boys said hurrying over and unclipping her harness. He struggled with the weight as he got it over to the pedestal next to the other saddles.

Why yes I did, she thought to him. Today was a good day to do so.

"I hear that the riders are going to head out and investigate the rumor of an unaligned rider. Do you think there could really be another one out there?"

This was news to Falia. She gave a small nod before she hurried out of the roost to the entrance. When she spied Samuel, she gave a huff. Where you planning on telling me that you were heading out of the mountains? she growled at him.

"I figured you would find out eventually," he responded.

That's not the point, Samuel! I'm your dragon! You should be the one telling me these things. Besides, you know I'm coming with you.

"You're staying here Falia. If the Queen finds out that we have dragons then she won't stop until she captures us all."

You can forbid me all you like, Samuel. I'm going with you. You know I'll just follow you after you leave.

"Maybe I should have the stable boys tether you to keep that from happening. You're not coming."

Falia snapped her tail, striking it against the back of Samuel's leg with a clank as it struck the hidden steel beneath. That's for threatening to tie me up like some animal, she growled. The pair of them stared at one another for a long time before Samuel let out a defeated sigh.

"Fine! But NO flying. We have to keep a low profile out there."

Falia was practically brimming with joy. She hurried off to the roost for her harness. Just because they weren't flying didn't mean that she couldn't bare her Rider.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:34 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

Averil

With a pouch stuffed full of fresh herbs, Averil briskly walked down the street of the coastal city Verdana. She approached an old woman selling fruit. The woman was wrapped in multi-colored shawls and had a gap-toothed smile. In front of her were baskets filled with bruised apples and pears and juicy plums.

“Hello, Janey.” Averil dug in her pouch and pulled out some sprigs of bright green herbs. “I’d like to trade this for some of your plums.

Janey was famous for her plums, and even more famous for her gossip. She seemed to know nearly everything that was going on in Delmont. But Averil felt safe talking to her, because Janey was most famous for her trustworthiness and from Averil’s experience, she could trust few.

“Hey, Averil.” Janey grabbed the herbs and handed her a few plums. “Thanks. Here ya go.”

“Thank you.” Averil pocketed the plums. “So what’s the Queen and her Riders doing?”

Janey frowned. “There’re some rumors about some wild Rider livin’ himself. The Queen and her Riders are huntin’ for the wild Rider. Wonder who is it?”

Averil swallowed and stuck her hands in the pockets of her dress to keep them from trembling. “A wild Rider?”

“Yup.” Janey grinned a huge toothy smile. “Looks like one of them eggs were stolen and it hatched to somebody. So now that somebody he better join them ‘cause rebellin’ ain’t gonna work.” She eyed Averil and asked, “The cat got ye tongue?”

“No.” Averil averted her gaze from Janey. “I-I just remembered I have to go home now. I’m busy.” She turned and ran up the path, her heart pounding as she kept recalling the fruit seller’s words. She glanced up at the sky. Far in the distance, she saw a tiny speck of white. Glacia. No matter how much she wanted to communicate with her dragon and talk about the news, this would have to wait until they were face-to-face. Averil carefully blocked her mind and continued sprinting up the narrow winding path that would lead her to her home, the secluded valley between the Coastal Cliffs and the Frozen Peaks.

Glacia

Glacia swooped down to the cliff that overlooked out the sea and dived in into a richly forested valley that dividing the cliffs from the mountains. Averil was about to come home anytime now. Near the outskirts of the forest was a large cave hidden in a cliff, large enough for Glacia to fit inside snugly. The dragon hovered over the entrance, her bright green eyes scanning the forest to see if Averil had come back.

A few minutes later, Averil arrived at the cave running faster than Glacia had ever seen her run. Glacia felt her stomach lurch as she sensed Averil’s emotions. Dread. Anxiety. Anger.

Glacia—Averil breathed—Janeythe fruit sellertold me the Queen and her Riders are searching for a wild Rider and dragon.

Silence fell. Glacia didn’t know what to say. Her mind circled with questions.What had happened? And would they really have to submit to the Queen someday? Why couldn’t they be independent? Why did the Queen want them so much?

Finally Glacia plucked up the courage to ask the most important question: Is there some way we can prevent getting caught?

Averil whispered, I don’t know.

Glacia shivered. Never had she dreamed that the future would be so uncertain. Never had she dreamed that one day the Queen would search for Averil and her. Never had she dreamed that they would ever be the hunted.
always daydreaming, always clumsy

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:09 am
View Likes
EvangelineFire says...

Kreagron

Kreagron glided hundreds of feet above the rolling forest. His crimson scales glittered in the sunlight, dark eyes sweeping over the land below. Wind howled about his horns, even as he slowed to begin a lazy descent. The tree tops rose to meet him and he soared just above them, the silver plates of his stomach occasionally brushing the leaves.

He was many miles away from the kingdom, but his could still feel his Rider back home. She was currently annoyed with something, which was so common an emotion he'd come to know it as her default. During his flights away from the kingdom, his mind often wondered back to her. Sometimes he felt that were it not for her, he'd have no reason to return at all.

Many days Kreagron would look to the north and long for the freedom to just go. Fly forever and ever, until his wings could no longer carry him. Then he would rest and continue on, until he found what he was looking for.

What that was he didn't know. It didn't seem to be something he could figure out or even quite understand. What he did know was that he wanted it.

When he was with Ceridwen this feeling was stifled, replaced with a sense of belonging and purpose. For years he'd thrived on those feelings, fueling his strength and power. But now he felt that he needed something else. Something that was just out of his grasp.

A pungent scent flared in Kreagron's nostrils.

His head snapped to the side and he dipped down into the forest. The trees were too close together and he was forced to land, his claws gripping the soft earth. He surveyed the area, the illusive scene mingling among the earthy smells of the forest.

It was another dragon. Young. Female. And is was foreign.

Kreagron stalked forward, his tongue excitedly licking the air. The scent was coming from the north. He went around in a circle once to make sure, then leapt into the sky.

The dragon would be difficult to hunt down, especially with how old the scent was, but—

Kreagron. Come.

He reacted immediately, swerving in the opposite direction. The command echoed in his head, unable to be ignored. He soared off back to the kingdom.

The new dragon would have to wait.

Queen Ceridwen

Queen Ceridwen lounged in her throne in calculating silence. With her jaw propped by one bejeweled hand, she regarded the man on his knees before her with dark, merciless eyes.

His wrists were bound and his once tidy black hair had fallen into limp strands about his stricken face. It had been a struggle getting him in here, but as he now sat at her very feet, undergoing her stern scrutinization, it didn't seem he dared to move at all. He trembled quietly, small whimpers escaping his lips.

“Why do you refuse me?” Ceridwen asked in a low voice.

“Please,” the man croaked, sinking lower to the ground, “I had nothing to do with the attempted raid on the Hatchery. This is all a big misunderstanding.”

“That is a lie,” Ceridwen snapped. “Every man apprehended on the scene says that you were among them. You cannot expect me to ignore those claims.”

“Please, those claims are false, my queen, you cannot believe them,” he said, looking up to meet her eyes. Sweat pooled on his forehead and his skin was the color of paper. His hands visibly shook in his shackles.

Ceridwen regarded the man a moment longer, then reached out with her mind to her dragon.

Kreagron. Come.

“Please,” the man said, voice growing weak.

She waited in silence for a few moments, staring at him through dead eyes. “Very well,” she said at length. “I shall reconsider.”

The man's chest fell and he dropped back in a cower like bow. “Thank you, Queen Ceridwen. You truly are as good and just as they say.”

They sat like that for several minutes, neither moving.

Then, at last, as Ceridwen felt the presence of Kreagron growing imminent, she said, “I have made my decision.”

The man looked up hopefully.

The massive doors to the throne room were flung open.

Kreagron, enormous and magnificent, his crimson scales ablaze, strode into the room. His tail flicked dangerously behind him and he gave a powerful shake of his head as he reached the end of the hall. His black eyes regarded the man before Ceridwen, who had somehow managed to cower even lower than he previously had before.

The man crouched with his hands over his head, shaking violently.

After a few moments, he whimpered, “What is your decision, my queen?”

From the tone of his voice she could tell he'd already guessed what it was.

Ceridwen shot a meaningful glance at Kreagron, then smiled faintly. She sat up straighter and leaned forward. “For serious crimes against the kingdom and blatant lies towards the queen, you are hereby sentenced to death.”

The man looked up sharply, fear bulging in his eyes. His mouth opened to say something, but it was too late.

Kreagron's long neck lurched forward. His fangs sunk into the man's body with a crunch and blood pooled around him. Kreagron let the man slump lifelessly to the ground as he pulled away, hissing quietly.

Queen Ceridwen motioned for servants to clean up the mess and stood up in her throne. She started down the hall.

Kreagron followed her.

Ceridwen, I smelled a foreign dragon in the forest by Verdana today. It was old, but there nonetheless.

Ceridwen paused. She turned to look back a him. I'll alert my riders. Show me where.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:39 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Desdemona

I soared across the land, the moon high in the sky. Brisk winds whipped under my wings as I circled ever higher in the night. Æglæca was on my back, breathing in the scents of the air. It was the one thing that calmed her these days. Ever since I'd hatched and the Queen recruited her, there was nothing but bloodlust and ruthless, undying loyalty to Queen Ceridren. I didn't care for the woman, but I would stay by Æglæca's side through hell and back again if need be. I thought her loyalty and faith in the woman was rather blind, but only said so once- never would I again. The turmoil, the anger, the chaos I'd felt in my rider was too much. I cared not for good or evil, so long as she was at peace, and if serving the Queen did that, so be it.

Far below us, I could hear the crickets and the distant whooping of an owl. So innocent in their lives, so ignorant of anything but that which nourished them. They simply ate, slept, survived. Such simple lives. In a way, I envied their innocence and blissful unthinkingness.

Desdemona. My rider interrupted my reverie.

Yes?

There is news. Ah, yes. I could tell there was something on her mind.

What?

I've only heard bits and pieces, Æglæca admitted. But from what I gather there is another rider.

Another rider? How?

And if I'm right, they haven't chosen sides as of yet.

An unaligned rider, nonetheless. This new one was a wild card, unpredictable, dangerous. I could feel Æglæca's opinion: they needed to either be crossed of or solidly on the Queen's side.

Well. That's quite the news, I stated.

Indeed.

What will be done?

Presumably one or all of us will be sent out to obtain or eliminate this asset before they fall into the hands of the Rebellion. There she was, cold as ever.

The Queen has summoned us tomorrow at first light, Æglæca continued. I assume that is when we will receive our orders.

Perhaps we should return to roost and get some rest, I suggested. If we were leaving on a mission on the morrow, sleep would do us well.

She didn't say a word, but I could feel her agreement. I banked and turned back, letting the tailwinds carry me swiftly home.

Æglæca

We reported in to our Queen at first light. As usual, Desdemona hid her dislike for her Majesty well, well enough that no one else knew of it but me. The other riders were there, too, including Kaia. I considered her more than an ally, and maybe -just maybe- she was a friend.

Kreagron was sitting behind Queen Ceridren, his massive red wings folded against his body. The Queen herself sat in her throne. I was the last one to arrive, approaching the throne and bowing before taking my place next to the other riders and their dragons.

"You may have heard of the unaligned rider," Ceridren began. "Your orders are to retrieve them before the Rebellion does. Simple, really. Take them by any means necessary. Obviously bringing them willingly is the best option, but if persuasion doesn't work, use force. Am I understood?"

"Yes ma'am," we chorused. Desdemona didn't like this, not at all. She didn't want to force a rider to come with them. She understood why, but...

Our loyalty is to our Queen, I reminded her.

No, your loyalty is to the Queen. Mine is to you.

I didn't really have a response to that.

"You are dismissed," she announced. "Go find this rider and bring it to me."

We bowed and left to ready ourselves for the mission. Desdemona went to get her harness and armour while I retrieved by own. Now to find this new blood.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:00 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

Kaia

As per usual, when the Queen called her and the other Riders, Kaia—along with Hali—was the first one to arrive. Though this had been her life for many years, she still felt a shiver go down her spine as she took in the sight of the Queen, regal and commanding, with Kreagron towering behind her. They looked powerful together.

Dropping to one knee several feet away from the Queen, Kaia bowed her head. “Your Majesty.”

“You may rise,” said Queen Ceridwen.

As she stood, Hali had just paid his silent respects to Kreagron. Now, he kept close behind Kaia and stiffened as the doors opened again.

This time, Valkir Romulan sauntered in with Asgal. Kaia knew Hali had a strong dislike for the Fear Dragon. She didn't have a particular liking for Asgal's Rider herself. Valkir gave Kaia a condescending glance, and she could almost feel the thought in his mind: Queen's pet. But she ignored his silent gibe, her default reaction.

Æglæca quickly walked in after with Desdemona. Kaia gave her a slight nod and waited as both Æglæca and Valkir paid their respects to the Queen.

When all three of the Riders were standing side by side, Queen Ceridwen glanced over them once with her emotionless gaze.

"You may have heard of the unaligned rider," she said. "Your orders are to retrieve them before the Rebellion does. Simple, really. Take them alive by any means necessary. Obviously bringing them willingly is the best option, but if persuasion doesn't work, use force. Am I understood?"

There was no need for another word.

"Yes, ma'am," said the Riders unanimously. Then they parted ways.

As she walked out of the castle, Kaia wondered what the Queen intended to do once she found the unknown Rider. She had no doubt that this person, whoever they were, would be found soon. But she mostly thought about whether Ceridwen would choose to invest the effort to train this Rider, or would instead eliminate him or her and the dragon if she believed that they were not strong, fast, or clever enough.

Kaia hoped with all her heart that the Rider would live.

The Queen would not kill a Rider and a dragon, said Hali gently. They are too valuable for that. It would be wise for her to train them, anyways.

"You're right," Kaia replied softly, climbing onto Hali's back. "Let's go."

As for us, she thought to him, we will not use force unless he or she attacks first.

Hali

Hali spread his wings as far as they would go, relishing the feel of winds rushing across them, though he would have preferred gliding this same way underwater. He scanned the ground below for any sign of a dragon.

I smell the dragon, but I don't see any traces of her, he thought to Kaia.

She and her Rider are probably hiding, replied Kaia. I will go into the town to get information. You keep an eye out above, all right?

Are sure it's a good idea to go down there alone?

Kaia let out a small sigh and patted Hali's neck. "I will be fine. I may not be as strong as Valkir or Æglæca at sword combat, but neither of them can throw a dart or poison someone without them noticing as well as I can."

Hali dipped his head. That went without saying. He veered off towards an open field to land. Be careful, Kaia.

"I will." Kaia let a small smile appear on her face before jumping down and pulling one of the swords strapped to her back off. "I don't want to call too much attention."

Then at least make sure to bring your tranquilizers, said Hali. You should still be well armed.

Kaia felt the inside of her sleeves, then paused. She slowly checked other places where she hid her small weapons.

It looks like I forgot to take them with me when we left, she mused in an unworried tone. Though I don't know why. I never forget to bring tranquilizers.

Don't worry about it, said Hali quickly, even though a stab of alarm went through him. He made sure Kaia didn't feel it. You're still better than many at swords. But he figured his Rider had been too preoccupied about the unaligned Rider's fate earlier to worry about her own.

His Rider nodded and glanced up at him. Then she turned and headed confidently towards the town without looking back. She would hold her own. She always had.

Suppressing a heavy sigh, Hali breathed in the air. Narrowing his eyes, he sniffed once again. There. He could still smell traces of the young female dragon they had been searching for, but there was another, unfamiliar scent. A dragon, about the same age as Hali himself, and much more recent.

As if it were somewhere close by.

Hali flipped open his wings and launched into the sky.
Last edited by Lael on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:46 pm
View Likes
Amnesia says...

Aquila

Where the hell is my dragon?

I seem to ask myself this question a lot, and by a lot I mean every fucking morning. I start breaking down my tent.

Fyr, I swear you get your scaley ass back here, we're leaving soon I say though our telepathic connection.

I start folding the canvas tent and packing our small amount of junk.

I get a snarl and her response of "I'm busy"

son of a bi- I let my thought trail off. Giving Fyr a moment before finally having enough of her bullshit, her running off every morning for the last five days has made me seem like an incompetent dragon rider, something I don't want the rest of our fellow campers to think.

I give Fyr a minute before yelling out "FYRMIDE"

A second later I hear a hiss and her footfalls as she comes back into camp, I finish packing and putting everything into a saddle.I glace at Fyr witheringly and she falls onto her backside stretching her wings out. I don't like the look on her face.

"What?" I hiss after a moment, leaning against the nearest tree looking at her.

Nothing She responds her face contorting into a confusing mess of emotion.

"You have that look on your face"

her head tilts what look?

"The one that makes me think you're gonna do something I wont like" I grit my teeth trying to keep my anger in check.

and that would be?

"You fucking bitch, you're doing it!"

I wanted that rabbit She retorts with an attitude

"Well tough shit, we have shit to do and getting a tiny fucking rabbit doesn't fit in the schedule" I say

have fun walking then and she's in the air before I can say another word. I watch her fly off and groan throwing my hands into the air and grab the saddle, the only thing I can say is,

this is gonna be a long day I sigh and begin walking in the direction everyone went flying in.
I want a Harry Potter reboot with Benedict Cumberbatch as all the characters~~Mem
<3 Formerly Remembrance <3

This page supports the LGBTQ community

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:18 am
View Likes
Basil says...

Fyrmide

Movement dances in the shadows of the forest, two small ears twisting and turning. A nose snuffles and wriggles as the furred creature sniffs the air. It's large, dark eyes graze the bushes ahead of it, searching, waiting. It lifts a paw and places it tentatively onto the ground, followed by another. It hops forward, over to a small patch of grass, and starts nibbling on the emerald shoots. It's tail flickers back and forth as it's ears continue to twist and turn, keeping an ear open for any lurking predators.

Little does the rabbit know, I am silence. I am death incarnate. I am a creature of fire and night. I am also so full of myself, wow.

My muscles coil into iron as I lower my body to the ground, eyes trained on the small creature in front of me. My claws dig into the dirt, my breath coming in a quiet blow of air, blending with the soft breeze that washes over my scales. My lips curl back from my teeth as I think of snapping the rabbit's neck.

Fyr, I swear you get your scaley ass back here, we are leaving soon, a snarl ripples through my mind.

I grin wide. I'm busy, I retort smugly, focusing on the back of the rabbit.

Sonofa- is the response I get.

A silence follows Aquila's angry words, and I block out my thoughts as I move forward, tail slowly snaking through the leaves. My wings quiver with anticpiation as the rabbit moves forward again. I prepare to leap forward, wriggling my haunches -

"FYRMIDE!"

The scream echoes through the forest, and the rabbit bounds away. A snarl tears through my throat as I leap forward, but the rabbit is gone. I hiss at the spot it had been a mere second ago, my nostrils flaring. That's the fifth time she's done that.

With a defeated sigh, I walk through the forest, back to our camp. Aquila is packing up the last of our belongings, strapped them all to the saddle she bought after selling some animal hide at a village. A saddle that we had to adjust so it would fit on my back. She notices my return and gives me a withering look. I just drop onto my backside and stare at her, my wings spreading open to stretch. I watch as she finishes packing up, her eyes darting to me every few seconds.

"What?" She hisses.

Nothing, I respond, face devoid of any emotion.

"You have that look on your face again," she gives me a challenging stare.

What look? I tilt my head to the side.

Aquila grits her teeth. "Like you're about to do something I won't like," she says cautiously.

And what would that be? I tilt my head to the side.

"You bitch, you're doing it," Aquila hisses.

I wanted that rabbit, I retort.

"Tough," she narrows her eyes.

Have fun walking then, I bare my teeth at her and push myself into the air. My wings flap furiously as I climb higher into the sky, gliding in a lazy circle over the trees. I keep an eye on the ground, watching Aquila throw her hands in the air with defeat.

I really did want that rabbit though.

Spoiler! :
Sorry it's so short! I'll try and lengthen my posts as the SB goes on
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

107 Reviews

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:45 pm
View Likes

Valkir

"Come on! Give me some semblance of a challenge!" he jeered at the guard in front of him. His sadistic grin spread over his chiseled features as he twirled the wooden practice blade in one hand.

The guard lunged and Valkir lazily stepped to the side and struck his fingers, with a satisfying crack. The guard screamed, holding his hand as he looked to the now awkwardly bent fingers.

"Maybe next time you won't complain about your rations. You could stand to lose a few pounds," Valkir said kicking the man over before tossing the practice sword aside.

Marching to his uniform jacket he was pleased to see Asgal curled up waiting for him. I see that you had fun, she thought to him. Why do you bother sparing with these oafs? They are hardly a challenge.

To remind them of how insignificant they are compared to a Rider...especially me, he responded as he made sure to smooth out his uniform before placing his sword at his side. He had just finished slicking his hair back once again when a messenger arrived with a letter.

Opening it he nodded and waved the messenger off. "The Queen wants us. It seems there is a new Rider."

Asgal nodded before they made their way to the Queen's chamber.

Entering the throne room, Valkir strode in like he were the most important individual in the room. His eyes glancing at Kaia, an assassin Rider. Hardly worth the time. Not even a real warrior, he thought to himself. Then came Æglæca. Now she was someone of power, though neither compared to him and Asgal.

"You may have heard of the unaligned rider," Ceridren began. "Your orders are to retrieve them before the Rebellion does. Simple, really. Take them by any means necessary. Obviously bringing them willingly is the best option, but if persuasion doesn't work, use force. Am I understood?"

"Yes ma'am," we said in unison.

A hunt, Asgal said with amusement. This will be fun.

I find myself almost wishing they will put up a fight, Valkir mentioned as he pulled himself into the saddle on Asgal's back. Taking off into the sky he smiled as the soared inland.

They hadn't even flown an hour before Asgal spoke up. I'm feeling hungry, she said, looking down at a farm with a large selection of cattle.

I'm finding myself craving something myself, Valkir grinned.

The pair circled their way down before landing outside of the cottage. Dismounting, Valkir was greeted by the man of the house. At the doorway he could see his family, a wife, son, and full-grown daughter. He grinned before turning his steely eyes to the farmer. "My dragon is hungry. I am commandeering rations under the Queen's authority. Which is your favorite?"

"I have a great many cattle that would be of excellent quali----" the farmer began before he was cut off from the flat of Valkir's blade striking the man on the head.

"I did not ask for the best quality," Valkir said with a sadistic glint. "I asked which was your favorite." The man looked down in agony as he pointed toward a cow separated from the rest of the herd. A bell around her neck and likely their milking cow.

Valkir looked to Asgal with a nod. The amethyst dragon leaped on the creature and began tearing into it. The agonized cries of the beast caused the family pain as they watched their favorite beast torn to shreds. Valkir stepped forward with a shake of his head. "Tsk, tsk, tsk. Now look at you Asgal. You have gone and gotten yourself dirty. Now you will need a washing." Valkir looked to the family in the door with a commanding look.

"It...it would be our honor," the wife said as they began filling buckets and gathered a few rags. The family began to clean the blood of their beloved cow from Asgal's scales.

All but one.

Valkir had caught the hand of the daughter and looked over her with a hungry gaze. "I would like to...talk to you about a few rumors. Inside." The grin on his face gave everything away. But who were they to argue. Closing the door behind him, it didn't take long for Asgal to feel the residual pleasure of Valkir's activities.

When Asgal's scales were clean and sparking in the sunlight once again, Valkir stepped out of the cottage. "Your Queen thanks you for your hospitality," he said almost as a jeer. The daughter came to the door, her hair and dress disheveled and tears streaming down her face. Valkir once again pulled himself up into the saddle and the pair flew off to continue their search.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:42 pm
View Likes
regismare says...

Victor and Kvasir

Victor and Kvasir glided toward the base, jolted by cool winds as they slowed with their approach. Landing was something Kvasir still had to perfect - all too often, he would come in too quickly or too slowly and both of them would tumble to a halt, usually painfully.

Don't worry. I know what to do this time. Kvasir assured him.

Sure, sure, Victor chuckled aloud and Kvasir play-growled. Their connection went silent as Kvasir focused on the landing. Victor patted his shoulder to reassure him, and wound the fingers of his other hand into his soft downy feathers to calm himself.

Kvasir stretched his wings out and Victor could feel the concentration rolling off of the dragon in waves. The crosswind pushed them a little out of line as Kvasir bought them closer to the ground. Victor watched his claws stretch out and then - the impact.

It jolted him forwards, out of the homemade saddle that sat on Kvasir's withers. He clung to the dragon's thin neck as he tumbled forwards, barely able to move his paws fast enough to stop himself from falling. They galloped to a halt and Kvasir's legs buckled as soon as they stopped.

You see? That was an improvement, Kvasir thought, grinning as best he could with his long dragon snout.

Sure, buddy. One day we'll land perfectly. You'll - Victor stopped talking - talking mentally, but still talking - when Kvasir's head perked up, his feathers standing up with interest. He heaved himself up - he was just about as big as a horse, but times lazier - and sniffed the air.

I think it's Samuel. Kvasir sniffed.

Oh? We can go flying with him. Maybe try to get him to bond with Falia.

Yes. It isn't like hauling you around tired me out.

Victor smiled and shoved Kvasir's shoulders, Hey! I'm not that heavy. And you're a dragon. You'll be fine.

Victor jogged over to the approaching human, "hey, Samuel? Oh, it is you? Are you going flying? 'Cause Kvasir and I wouldn't mind coming along, if you need help..."

Samuel looked from Victor's almost comical expression to the dragon standing just behind like a silent bodyguard. A single eyebrow twitched. He was silent for a long time.

"Fine, fine. But no flying."

Victor faltered. "What? Not even you and Falia?"

"No. She wasn't going to come -"

"But she's your dragon! Why do you never bond with her? She wants to be closer with you! Why raise a dragon if you -"

Calm down.

Kvasir wrapped his tail around Victor, loosely, to try to calm him down. His sudden outburst had been unexpected, to say the least - Victor was almost always mild-mannered and friendly toward others. Kvasir supposed Samuel had touched a nerve.

Victor fell silent and dropped his gaze to the ground. He didn't want to see whatever expression Samuel was wearing now. He muttered a half-hearted apology and something about waiting there until they left. He swung up onto Kvasir's back and they fluttered to perch on a rock that overhung where Samuel was still standing, their backs turned to him.

Victor, I thought we'd talked about this.

Yeah. I know.
awaiting world war three

107 Reviews

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:37 pm
View Likes

Samuel

Hearing Victor and his dragon arrive he had just finished putting his supplies into a pack.

"Hey, Samuel? Oh, it is you? Are you going flying? 'Cause Kvasir and I wouldn't mind coming along, if you need help..."

He gave the pair a quizzical look. It seems that they aren't aware of what's happening. "Fine, fine. But no flying," he said tightening the straps on his shoulders.

"What? Not even you and Falia?"

"No. She wasn't going to come -"

"But she's your dragon! Why do you never bond with her? She wants to be closer with you! Why raise a dragon if you -"

Victor fell silent. His dragon coiled his tail about him protectively. The Rider gave a muttered apology before perching themselves above him. The outburst was rather unexpected, but everyone had their beliefs about dragons.

Falia

Falia hurried into the roost and had the stable boys remove the weights from her saddle. With it strapped around her midriff, it felt a great deal lighter. She gave shake from her head to the tip of her tail before she was practically galloping out of the roost to Samuel.

She quickly slowed down as she spotted him, so that he wouldn't think her over eager. But she knew she wasn't hiding her enthusiasm well. She noted Victor and Kvasir perched on a rock and seeming to be brooding.

Ready to go, she chimed. She made a slight move to turn so Samuel could climb into the saddle, but he just started out the cave entrance.

Falia felt a pang of disappointment, but she put it aside and hurried after. Hearing the other Rider and Dragon following after. Oh! Victor. Kvasir. Are you coming with us on the mission?

Mission? Kvasir inquired.

Yeah! There's rumors of an unaligned dragon rider. We are going out to try and find them before the queen does.

I guess Samuel forgot to mention that part, Victor thought with a mutter. What's his problem anyway?

I don't...really know... Falia says quietly. He shelters his mind most of the time. The only things I really get are a few mental pictures when he is have a bad nightmare. A storm. A scream. A river. Nothing that makes sense. But...I'm still hopeful. She looked to Victor and Kvasir, a small ting of jealousy running through her before she hurried her steps to match with Samuel.

You know...you could ride on my back, she suggested. It would save you time and energy. I promise I won't do any flying.

Samuel paused looking at her. He could tell that she wasn't going to drop it. He gave a small nod and pulled the pack off to strap to the saddle before pulling himself up. Falia's expression became shocked as she had to balance herself. You're heavier than you look.

"There's metal plates sewn to the inside of my clothing," Samuel responded as they began moving.

"Why would you have them on the inside?" Victor asked.

"I don't look as dangerous with my armor hidden. Someone sees me with a sword they just think I'm another mercenary wanna be."

That...actually make a lot of sense, Kvasir notes.

"How far away is the port?" Victor asks.

"At our current speed? About a day," Samuel responds.

Then let's cut that time in half, Falia grins as she takes off into the forest. Her legs thrumming on the earth as she can hear Kvasir right behind her. The pair almost racing toward the city.

After a couple hours of racing Samuel noted for Falia to stop. Samuel rolled his neck. He took a look out over the large cliff. The coast was in sight and the city not far beyond it.

"Why are we stopping?" Victor asked, having Kvasir stop beside Falia.

"We'll be better off if we split up. You should head toward Verdana. That is the next largest city that would likely hear something about a rogue rider."

"Yeah I see your point."

Falia and Kvasir suddenly turned to the forest behind them. Their eyes trained on the woods. Samuel paused a moment, silencing Victor's question with a hand. Samuel's eyes widened before he hissed. "Go! Now!"

Kvasir didn't wait. He immediately dove off the cliff and headed north toward Verdana. Falia was about to make the same move before Samuel pulled her back. What are you doing?! she screamed at him.

We'll find another way, Samuel thought back as he looked about. They were slowly being surrounded on all sides.

We have to go, Samuel.

Just give me a second to think!

We don't have a minute! Falia growled as she lunged off the cliff. She spread her wings and soared into the air moments before the guards jumped from the forest. She was laughing she felt the breeze in her wings. The joy of flight and....something else. Something different.

"Down," she heard quietly from her back. She only just noticed the tightly gripping hands in her fur. Samuel had his face buried in her shoulders as she looked back in concern.

Samuel? Samuel what's wro- She was cut off by what seemed to be a very real bolt of lightning in front of her...on a clear day. She suddenly dipped to avoid it before she realized there was nothing there.

"GET DOWN NOW!!!!" Samuel roared. It was enough to make her jump and immediately dive down to the forest below.

Samuel didn't wait for her to land. She they were close to ten feet of the ground, he jumped from her back and rolled. He sat there for a moment on hands and knees before he felt his stomach lurch and the contents of his stomach were spat onto the earth.

Falia stared at him for a long moment, trying not to believe the realization she was coming to. Samuel....are....are you scared of heights?

Samuel slowly stood to his feet and spat out the taste of bile in his mouth. "We should keep moving," he said with a hoarse voice. He turned to the forest and kept walking with Falia following in a sulking manner behind him.

The flight cut the distance to the city into near nothing. Samuel sighed when he saw the buildings in the distance. "You should stay in the forest. We don't need another incident."

Yeah. Falia moved into an outcropping and flopped down. Samuel headed into the port to start his investigation.

If dragons could cry, Falia would have been. She couldn't share what made her most happy with her rider. It was like fate was playing a terrible joke by having him as her Rider.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:24 am
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

Glacia

Come home soon! Glacia said to Averil as the young woman neatly hid her rapier under her apron and adjusted the pouches around her waist. We need to leave this place. I just recently smelled a male dragon. An older male. Much much older than I am.

I’ll be careful, Averil answered. Just some quick supply-collecting in Verdana and I’ll be back soon. She headed down the slope that led to the seaside city. Just an hour or so, all right?

Glacia watched Averil till she disappeared around the corner. Then she retreated between the trees, cautiously sticking out her nose to sniff for any unusual scents. Yes…she smelled that old male one.

She moved farther into the forest, intending to catch some deer for their dinner, though she knew Averil preferred fish. This could be the last time they could eat in this beautiful forest, at least for a while. Glacia sniffed and smelled some deer nearby. She carefully crawled between the trees. Hunting was difficult because of her snow-white fur, but if she remained, really, really quiet, it would be all right. She saw a brown clump about a hundred yards away. Glacia stepped forward, careful not to let her claws scratch on the ground.

A wind blew toward her and she stopped. Scents of dragons assailed her senses and her white fur stood on edge as she tensed. Were they--the Queen's Riders--coming already?

She gazed up into the sky. Something flashed—even it was a sunny day—and she saw a pinprick above that rapidly disappeared into the distance. Glacia raced as fast as she could to the cave, ignoring the huge tracks that she was opening up in the ground. As she ran, she called to Averil: Come now—we must leave immediately!

Averil

The trail leading down to Verdana was lovely, framed with many gently waving grasses and shattered shells, but Averil was too preoccupied to notice. She sprinted as fast as she could to Verdana and mentally recited the list of what to buy: bread, leather, wine, cheese, a pair of boots, and arrows. She sighed. Perfume was too expensive, though it would probably cover up she and Glacia's scents well.

She bought her supplies from Verdana Market, where dozens—even hundreds—of vendors set up their booths. Articles ranging from pig feet to lacy shawls were sold in this noisy, crowded area and though Averil disliked crowds, they helped her blend in. She tugged the apron she was wearing, over her blade, her father’s old sword.

When she finished shopping, her arms were full with her supplies and she was finding it hard to weave through the paths. As she struggled out of the crowd, she bumped into somebody.

“I beg your pardon!” Averil looked up at a dark-haired soldier in an impeccable uniform. She hurriedly dropped a curtsey, as was common among the village she ever lived in, and started to back away.

He smirked at her, and with one swift blow, knocked all the packages from her arm. The wine she had bought seeped into the ground and the cheese fell with a dull splat. Everybody else was too preoccupied to pay attention.

Anger rose up in her throat and she felt her magic start to spark. How dare he just destroy the food she had bought? But she wisely chose not to confront him. He was a soldier, definitely, and carrying a sword. And far in the distance, she spotted something purple. Something that looked unmistakably like a dragon. She suspected he was a Rider. And an experienced one, too. There would be no need to mess with him.

He was watching her, waiting for her response.

Averil bowed again, hiding the anger in her expression. “Sir, forgive my clumsiness.” She scrambled down to pick up the packages she could salvage.

“So…I have a few questions to ask.” His voice was drawling. “You’ve seen a Rider? An unaligned, wild one dressed in black? Best put him under control before he just runs away to the Rebellion.”

Averil froze. He was looking for the unaligned Rider? Her and Glacia? But at least she smiled to herself. Nobody could guess she was the Rider. They all believed that it was a he dressed in black.

The Queen’s Rider jerked her up to meet his eyes. “Answer me.”

“What is the Rebellion?” Averil wrapped her arms tightly around the food and arrows she managed to salvage.

“Group of Riders rebelling Queen Ceridwen,” he replied. Then he eyed her arrows. “What’s up with those arrows?"

“For my brother and father,” she lied, her heart racing.

“You haven’t answered my question yet: you’ve seen that unaligned Rider?”

“No.” Averil pressed her lips together.

She furtively glanced at the path leading out of Verdana Market, and that moment, she felt Glacia’s consciousness burst into her mind. A flash and a dot in the skyDragon scentsMagic. And then—Come now—we must leave immediately!

“Glacia!” she instinctively exclaimed.

“Glacia?” The Rider grabbed Averil’s wrist and squeezed it till Averil felt as though her hand might pop off.

“My—my—sister—” Averil stammered. She threw herself backward. The Rider was jerked forward. That same moment, she successfully twisted out of his grip, and dropping the packages, melted into the crowd as fast as she could.
always daydreaming, always clumsy

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:23 pm
Lael says...

Kaia

The port city was bustling with movement. Kaia stood next to a jewelry stand, surveying the passersby. The people that moved by seemed to ignore her as she disappeared within the chaos of the marketplace.

"I heard that a strange rider in black was spotted nearby." A voice floated above the others and reached Kaia's ear. She turned toward the sound and cautiously wove through the crowd.

As she neared the source of the gossip, several guards rushed by toward the main gate. Moving to investigate, she could see a man dressed head to toe in loose black clothing. A few points pulled close to his body were belts intersected on his torso. At his side was a sword with an ivory hilt. His face was mostly obscured by the hood that he had pulled up over his head.

"You are under arrest!" the captain of the guard cried.

"For what charge?" the man in black asked.

"For suspicion of affiliation with the Resistance! Drop your weapons and surrender!"

Kaia narrowed her eyes and stalked forward. Her hand quietly sought for a blade in her sleeve as she stepped between the guards and the man.

"Is there a problem here, guards?" she asked smoothly, flashing her hand with the Rider's mark on it at them. She hadn't wanted to conduct a direct confrontation, but with this stranger who had practically fallen into her hands, she supposed that he couldn't possibly escape, as only three people in Delmont could defeat her: Her Majesty, Æglæca, and Valkir.

"He fits the description of an unknown rider," the captain answered. "We are attempting to detain him to find out his allegiance."

"So you are just grabbing anyone dressed in black? I hope your jail is large enough," the man retorted.

Kaia fought a smirk.

"Hold your tongue!" one guard roared. His fidgety stance betrayed his desire for a fight.

"Maybe I'm not interested in being detained," the stranger commented as he quietly assessed the guard's circle. "Especially not by a rider."

"Perhaps I just want to ask you a few questions--"

"I'm sure. I've heard enough about the Queen's 'questioning' methods."

"--like a civilized person," finished Kaia, folding her arms. She grasped the blade between her fingers.

"Well . . . I'm afraid that I don't have the time for your so called 'civil' questioning," the stranger snarked.

"Show some respect!" the fidgety guard roared before charging. The man began to weave back and forth, letting the guard's weapon pass within inches of his body before he rotated and drove his elbow into the base of the guard's skull. The guard dropped like a bag of rocks at the stranger's feet as he seemed ready for another guard to rush him.

Kaia watched him for a second. Something seemed familiar about his fighting style, though she couldn't place it. Better not worry about it now, she decided. She threw her hidden blade at his leg. But instead of incapacitating him, it bounced harmlessly away.

The blade bouncing off his leg made the man jump into action. He immediately rolled through the gap left by the now unconscious guard. Running into a nearby stall he threw the table into the pursuing guards. The man maneuvered through the stalls with a precision that betrayed his skills. He quickly rushed through the main gate running toward the forest.

Kaia pulled the single sword on her back out of its sheath and charged after him, paying no attention to the screams of the frenzied people around her.

Hali! To me! I need your help.

From ahead of her, she could hear him muttering something beneath his labored breaths. For a moment she could hear him firmly say something close to, "Stay away."

He must be talking to his dragon, decided Kaia. She ran faster.

The man suddenly changed his pacing as they left the town and entered the clearing beyond. He whirled about to face her and drew the sword at his side in a single motion. The steel of the blade was thinner than that of a normal sword of its size and tinted a faded blue color. As it came free of the sheath it gave off a soft, pure tone before the edge came in to cut at her.

Kaia brought her blade around to meet it, and the two swords made a sharp ringing sound as they collided. She and the stranger both slid backwards. Kaia raced forward again, keeping her sword at ready as she aimed to kick his legs out from under him. She wondered why Hali wasn't responding to her call.

The expression on the man's face was distracted, as he seemed to be fighting something in his mind as well as Kaia. He fell backwards to the ground and quickly rolled away bringing the blade in a full arch to keep her a bay. He moved in quickly periodically switching his leading foot to throw her off balance.

This man was a fierce fighter. His skill was almost unnerving to Kaia. She couldn't shake off the feeling that his sparring style was very familiar.

Hali! Where are you?

The blue blade flashed and darted in the muted sunlight of the trees before he rotated the blade in his hand to a reverse grip and locked the guard around that of Kaia's sword. His off hand striking at her wrist to break the form and tear her sword from her hand. The blue steel began travelling up the path of her arm, aimed at her throat.

But the blow never came. A large mass of white fur crashed into the black clad man, throwing him back and away from Kaia.

Kaia took this opportunity to have a second's rest. She backed away, staring at the Ice Dragon struggling with the man, her mind reeling at the confrontation that had just occurred. How did he know that move? It couldn't be--

At that moment, Hali swooped down from the sky, landing on the ground with his wings spread and his mouth drawn back in a snarl.

Hali

What took you so long? asked Kaia, with more than a hint of irritation.

Sorry, was Hali's only reply before Kaia clambered up on his back to leap down on the man. I'll get the dragon.

The pair had gotten to their feet, but they were hardly a unit. Just from the way they regarded one another, they barely had a bond to one another.

"I told you to stay away," the man growled at the Ice Dragon. Her response was to whip his leg with her tail, giving out a dull ping of metal from beneath the man's clothing.

Kaia leapt onto the man, sending him back to the ground and dropping her weight onto his left shoulder. He gave out a pained grunt before kicking her over his head.

The Ice Dragon was curled in a more primal defense, her tail ready to lash out like a whip, as if she had not been trained to fight.

Hali stalked towards her, his muscles tensing in anticipation of a short struggle. He was positive she wouldn't be a difficult opponent to defeat. He tackled the dragon, bringing his front claws close to her throat.

The Ice Dragon tried to lash out with her tail but it was no use, and kicking up at his underbelly was just as useless as she wasn't strong enough to move him. She let out a pained chirp to try and get the swordsman's attention. Which made him look back to what was happening.

From the belt on his chest he pulled out a hidden throwing knife and flung it at Hali's snout to distract him. Hali turned his head aside just in time to avoid it from being embedded in his face, but he didn't let go of the Ice Dragon, who squirmed helplessly beneath his claws.

Kaia, in the swordsman's distraction, advanced on him once again, this time taking advantage of his obviously injured shoulder. She rammed her right fist and the pommel of her sword into it. The man stumbled, and she jabbed a needle into a nerve in his neck to paralyze him.

The sword tried to swing but his hand had lost all feeling in it. It remained poised there before his non-existent grip dropped the sword from his hand. His body was tense and his eyes showed that he was trying his hardest to break free. He only succeeded in falling face first into the ground completely rigid.

Hali felt a rush of pride for his rider. She was resourceful, even when she forgot her tranquilizer darts.

Kaia knelt down beside the swordsman and grabbed his chin, forcing him to look at her.

Get away from my rider! a feminine voice roared within everyone's mind. The Ice Dragon's eyes ablaze with anger, but not only for Kaia.

She's not going to hurt him, said Hali, directing his thought solely at the Ice Dragon.

As if I can trust you, she spat back at him. Her eyes were filled with a deep hurt that went more than just what had transpired. It surprised Hali somewhat, though he didn't let it show.

Kaia ignored the other rider's dragon. She fixed the rider with a stare and said softly, "You're with the Rebellion, aren't you?"

"And what makes you think that?" he responded with a sarcastic tone.

"The only other people in Delmont who have dragons besides the Queen's Riders are those affiliated with the Rebellion, of course."

"Guess we weren't so secretive about our dragons after all. So what now, Rider? Going to take us back to your Queen and torture us for information? Or maybe you'll have Valkir do it for you."

Kaia stiffened. "So I was right. You do know Valkir. That disarming move gave it all away."

"We know each other quite well. Of course, he thinks I'm dead."

"Really? I suppose that's how you two ended up on opposite sides."

"Not a good idea to sign up on the same side with a man that threw you off a cliff," he huffed. "I'm just lucky there was a river at the bottom of it."

The corner of Kaia's mouth went up slightly. Neither she nor Hali were surprised that Valkir had done such a thing. "Always a good thing for survival."

Hali thought to her, Aren't you going to ask him questions about the Rebellion?

Right, she replied. But he seems to be a nice person, strangely enough. She turned back to her prisoner.

"What is your name?"

"Is there really a point to you knowing my name?" His emerald eyes were filled with skepticism. "Your Queen is likely to kill us once she finds out that I won't submit to her rule."

"I like knowing my enemies' names," replied Kaia. "It helps me remember that we're all human. Or dragon."

Kaia was very good at acting. Things were the most believable when you combined something true with something false. Hali knew she valued humanity very much, but knowing the enemy's name left her guilt-ridden and questioning her actions when they were killed.

He was silent for a long time. That distracted look in his eyes meant he was having a hidden conversation with his dragon before he rolled his eyes with a sigh. "My name is Samuel. My rather stubborn dragon is Falia."

Don't talk like I'm the only stubborn one, she growled, not caring that she was projecting her thoughts to everyone. I just don't see why you're giving her our names.

"Valkir knows my name. But since you weren't going to keep quiet I might as well have spoken up," Samuel sighed with slight irritation.

You don't seem to have a very close bond, said Hali for everyone to hear. That was strange for a rider-dragon pair.

We don't. Falia growled out. He refuses to bond. He won't even fly with me. Won't even let me into his mind beyond talking to him. She wouldn't look at Samuel. Her face turned away from her Rider.

Kaia raised an eyebrow. "Well," she began. "Since you did us the courtesy of sharing your names, we will give you ours in return. I'm Kaia, and this is my dragon, Hali. I wish I could say that it's nice to meet you, but you probably wouldn't think that."

Samuel was quiet for a long moment. "You still haven't answered my question," Samuel responded. "What do we do now, Rider?"

Falia huffed. Figures he would just want to get to the end of it. You don't know how lucky you are, Hali. Her thoughts were only heard by the dragon pinning her down.

I'm just glad that my rider isn't Valkir, Hali thought back. But I guess that doesn't matter now.

"I want answers," said Kaia to Samuel. She glanced at Falia before returning her attention to him. "You can't possibly be the new rider, can you? Falia is too old to have just hatched."

"Seems like you answered your own question there, Kaia," Samuel commented.

"Where is this rider and dragon, then?"

"Only other Rider and Dragon I have seen is the two of you. But here's a question. What will the Queen do when she finds out there is more Riders and Dragons outside of her control than just the one?"

"Oh, she already knows about the Rebellion's riders."

"So she just doesn't see us as a threat then," Samuel huffed.

What kind of a threat are we when the strongest swordsman won't bond with his dragon? Falia thought, forgetting that she was still linked to Hali.

Hali couldn't help but feel a stab of sympathy for her, but he tried to suppress it. This is what he hated about getting to know the enemy.

"Why do you fight for the Queen?" Samuel suddenly asked. "Is it for power like Valkir? Or the hope that you are doing some good by taking away the rights of everyone in Delmont?"

"I don't care for power," answered Kaia, "nor do I know what right and wrong are. They don't matter to me. I owe the Queen my life, and that is all there is."

"Then you should open your eyes and see what she is doing to people," Samuel said gently. "I've seen her send Valkir to destroy a village for just disagreeing that they were keeping enough food for themselves to survive. If you live your life enslaved just because someone saved your life then you are going to let that life slip by."

"I'm no slave. This is my choice, and I didn't make it blindly."

Careful, Kaia, said Hali just to her, though he himself disliked Kaia's service to the Queen. Don't let things get too out of hand.

"And what would happen if you decided that you wanted a different life? Would your Queen be understanding of it and let you go?" Samuel responded. "Or would she demand that you remain in her service because you 'owe' her your life?"

Kaia glanced at him coolly. "That is irrelevant." She reached for the needle and pulled it out quickly. "The effects should wear off within a minute or so. I'm letting you go. Tell the Rebellion that the Queen's Riders are upon them. We will find you soon."

She stepped back and neared Hali. "And make sure Falia doesn't try to attack when Hali releases her, if you please."

Falia looked to Samuel, and he gave her a stiff nod. She relaxed under Hali's claws to seem as peaceful as possible. Hali slowly released her and stood back.

"Before I go I have a favor to ask," Samuel said as he slowly sat up, forcing himself through the stiffness. "In the pouch on my left hip there is a pendant. I would like you to give it to Valkir. He'll know what it means."

Kaia knelt down again and rummaged through the pouch. She pulled out the pendant and held it to the light. It was carved of a dark rose wood in the shape of a roaring lion. The wood was cracked from some trauma that it had previously been in.

"The House of Iregor, is it?" said Kaia, touching the lion's head as she stood. "You have quite a pedigree."

Samuel's expression turned dark and Falia seemed to flinch, her eyes filling with confusion and shock. "I don't have anything to do with that house anymore. Anything good there has been taken long before I was born." For the first time his voice has more than just the steady monotone. There was anger, pain, and heartache in his voice. He slowly stood up and grabbed his sword, slowly sheathing it.

"I won't pry into your past," said Kaia, pocketing the pendant. "It does not interest me. As for giving this to Valkir, consider it done." She turned and climbed onto Hali's back. "Let's go home."

Hali spread his wings and flapped, once, twice, until they were high in the air and Samuel and Falia were just small dots on the ground below.

That was the strangest confrontation we've ever had with someone, commented Hali. He didn't question her unexpected decision. He could sense a strange feeling of regret and heaviness hanging around his rider as she replied.

It sure was.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

Remember: no stress allowed. Have fun, and learn from your fellow writers - that's what storybooks are all about.
— Wolfical