Young Writers Society

Welcome to the Zombie Apocalypse!

69 Reviews

Reviews: 69
Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:23 am
View Likes
NympheaLily says...

Asklova
She stood, looking at the two groups. One was Mr. Jameson (was that his name?) and the other was Aaron. She bounced her gaze between them, debating. She liked Aaron's group more, but she also didn't know any thing more than the school. She could see Aaron's group disappearing down the street.

"Come, pretty girl!," shouted Mr. Jameson, "I can keep you safe and protected!" Asklova gave another uncertain look up at the school. Then she looked back at the others. they were swiftly getting smaller as the seconds ticked on.

"No," she called back, "I need no slime teacher to keep my life!" She took off running down the road towards Aaron's group.

"Wait!" she called, "Wait! I come!" They stopped and turned to face her.

"Can I come on this group travel?" she asked hopefully, "I no want to go to school and look at slime teacher again." She waited hopefully for a response. The group looked around at each other, then at Aaron. He nodded and gave her a small smile.

"Welcome aboard!" he said.
Will Solace IRL

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:25 pm
View Likes
Ninlil says...

Sanda Ambrosi

Sanda watched the Russian girl sprint after Aarons group with a sickening twist in her throat. She did not know what to do. She had been so relieved when the supply group had returned, thinking that they would sort things out, but they had just made things worse. And now they were just leaving them to deal with Jameson again? How mean of them.

She could leave too of course. There was still time. And maybe she could find a pharmacy somewhere on the way that had asthma inhalers or at least a Bronchodilator for emergencies.
But she did not want to go back out to be threatened by the sick-undead-zombie-or-whatever people.
Nor did she want to stay behind with Jameson.
On the other hand, wouldn’t she be just as selfish if she left like Aaron and the others?

She looked over the group that had stayed behind. She did not know really know or care for any of them. But they were scared and vulnerable. Jameson seemed the kind of person who would use that to claim power, negative power. The smaller his group, the more impuissant the students were, the more they would be completely at his mercy.
She would stay, partly out of solidarity, but mostly because those zombie people scared the shit out of her. Jameson could not be worse.

Jameson clapped his hands together, his pointy tung wetting his already slimy lips.

“No need to worry, pretty ones. They are selfish fools. They will not last long out there.
But you are safe here. Safe with me.”

He put one arm around a girl and stroked with his other hand over Sanda's shoulder.
She shuddered away from the touch. He looked down at her with a simpering smile, yet his cold, blue eyes sent a clear threat. Sanda gulped, feeling dizzy. Then she forced the corners of her mouth up, keeping them there stiffly until Jameson averted his gaze.

Suddenly she wished she were fighting zombies.

She closed her eyes hand gripped her laptop tightly as if it were a teddy bear. It buzzed warmly beneath her touch.
“Please let me keep my sanity”, she whispered to it silently.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:34 pm
View Likes
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

Aaron Campbell

The sun was setting on the city, casting it into a dull red glow. On several occasions the group of students would have to hide to prevent a horde from sensing them. He could see Aurora still cradling her other hearing aid, as if she were afraid it would suddenly fall and break.

Aaron moved to her and nudged her shoulder, since he was on the side that didn't have a hearing aid. "Hey, you okay? He didn't hurt you did he?"

"No...he...he just broke my hearing aid. I've only got the one left now," Rory responded, her voice on the verge of breaking. "I need batteries for it."

Aaron sighed as he looked around. It was getting too dark to do any searching, they would have to wait. "There are a few clinics and a Walgreens on the way downtown. We can stop in and get you a ton of batteries. Maybe get lucky enough for some hearing aids."

Rory nodded and gave a small smile. She didn't seem quite sure of herself.

Aaron looked around to the rest of the group. Overall, he felt pretty good about the group. These were all people already knew he would have his back. Seeing Charlie he sighed a little. She was obviously upset about something, and he could guess what. He moved over and cleared his throat gently in an attempt to get her attention.

She ignored him.

"Look...what you saw was not what you thought you saw," Aaron said quietly.

"What exactly did I see?" Charlie asked looking at him.

"I got a cut on my leg and Izzy was stitching it up."

"You don't have to get that close to stitch," Charlie said through her teeth.

"She was cutting the thread with her teeth because she didn't have scissors." By the roll of her eyes, he could tell that Charlie didn't believe him. Getting frustrated he snapped, "Not sure why you care so much anyways. It's not like we're going out."

Aaron hurried his steps up and got to the front of the group. Tripping over a broken car door he cussed under his breath. It was getting too dark to see. He looked around and quickly realized where they were.

"I think I know a place we can go for the night," he said as he turned off the main road. Heading down a block he smiled as he saw the two story building with the tacky roaring lions statue on either side of the double doors.

"You think it's empty?" Meredith asked.

"Who's gonna go to a library at the end of the world?" Aaron asked with a smirk before heading in. He gave a loud slap on one of the many wooden tables inside before listening for a long while.

Nothing.

He picked up a thick spined book and dropped it...hard.

Still nothing.

"Looks good," Aaron said as the rest of the group shuffled in. Aaron started breaking down the chairs and tables into usable pieces and stacking them in a pyramid looking pile.

As a few of the group started rolling out blankets and sleeping bags, Aaron came back with a large book in his hand. From a few of the looks that he was getting, there were those that had an idea of what he was going to do, but they seemed to shoo that idea away...

Until he did it.

Aaron tore the first few pages from the book and crumpled them up in a ball.

"What are you doing!?" Rory screamed.

"There is no electricity in this building and we need a source of heat," Aaron replied tearing out a few more pages.

"Stop that!" Izzy yelled at him jumping for the book. "We aren't going to burn books for warmth! It's...barbaric!"

"Would you rather save a few pages of ink and paper and freeze? Or would you like to live to see tomorrow?" Aaron responded. Everyone seemed to quiet down after that, Izzy giving a shiver. "That's what I thought. It's a damn reference book anyway. I would have burned the romance section if I knew where it was in the dark."

"You're a damn Nazi," Rory muttered.

"When it comes to survival, I'd burn whatever I needed to," Aaron muttered before ripping out several more wads of paper and stuffing it into the fire pyramid. Using a light he got the fire going and the group was illuminated and warmed by the orange glow.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:39 pm
JustJasper says...

Rory

I wanted to die.

I felt the scumbag reaching for me. I knew there was something different about this time I defied him. Something more savage in his face. He looked at me like a Margay. He stared right at me and ripped my life from my clutches, the hearing aid came away in his hand. I don't know if I screamed or if it was only in my head. He smashed one of my only sources of communication and I just stood there, I dared him to slap me. I glared daggers at him. I wish Aaron hadn't jumped in because in that moment I was electric I could have picked him apart with my gaze alone. I was dangerous and I knew what I wanted.

Then we left.

We turned and walked away. Abigail left with me, it made me smile a bit. In a bitter sweet kind of way. I shook my head to clear it. Love is a dangerous thing. I had always joked that it would kill me, and now...

I wanted to die.

To die would have been better than having to explain to Aaron why I was broken. To have him treat me like a child. I felt like a child, lost and lonely. Only now did it hit me that I had nobody that cared about me. I was sure my parents were dead, everyone else's seemed to be and why would I be special. I was truly alone. Nobody cared if I lived or died. Maybe my brother was still alive but he was too far to do anything for the foreseeable future.

I wanted to die.

We burned books for warmth and I felt my soul burn with them. I felt like an empty shell. There is nobody here that matters. Nobody loves this girl. Everyone is gone. I had all my hopes pinned on Abigail but she avoids me too. The apocalypse has already killed me and it has hardly begun.

Why can't I just die?
Why do we capital-N Nerds love Mars so much?
Because it's beautiful, it's tough, it's buried in our mythic, childhood memories.
It's covered with human triumphs but also with sad stories of failure.

-Greg Bear

69 Reviews

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:17 am
View Likes
NympheaLily says...

Asklova
She sat in the dark. Over by the fantasy section of the library, she sat. Watching. Waiting. For what? She didn't know, but she was waiting for something. The rest sat over by the fire, warming their hands and using the books as fuel. She took out her small survival flashlight she always kept with her and grabbed a small book from the shelf. Well, it was smaller than the rest. She opened it and looked at the words on the pages. The strange english lettering was nothing like what she was used to. She studied it and tried to decipher what it read.

"Hey." She looked up quickly and shut the book. It was the girl with the hearing aid. She looked terrible.

"Why you here?" Asklova asked sharply.

"I didn't want to be by the burning of books," she answered, "What is your name?"

"Asklova. You?"

"Rory. What are you reading?" Asklova looked down at the book and showed it to her.

"Oh, Huckleberry Finn. That's a good one. How do you like it?"

"I-I-" Asklova tried to speak, her mind racing for a convincing lie. No way was she going to admit that she couldn't read english. Rory studied her face a little more.

"You can't read, can you?" Asklova slowly shook her head.

"My language is not english," she said, "I can not speak well english. I can not read the english at all." Rory nodded and took the book.

"Would you like it if I taught you?" Asklova looked up at her.

"That would be nice."
Will Solace IRL

802 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 802
Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:39 am
View Likes
Dracula says...

Charlie rubbed her hands by the fire. She knew she should've been appalled by the fact that they were burning books, but there was something oddly therapeutic about it. Turning pages, writing notes, dog-earing important pages... books had taken up a vast majority of her life, and now they were going up in flames.
Just like her old life.
"God..." Charlie buried her head in her hands. "This is so messed up." It had only been one day. One day. And still the old world seem like light years away.
She should have been at home, eating dinner with her parents and talking about her school day. For all she knew, her parents could be dead, but they could also be alive. Charlie didn't think about them, and that's how she coped.
"Messed up big time." Thomas knelt down beside her. "Here. You could use this." He handed Charlie a well-loved paperback. It was creased and grubby but its front cover was a rainbow. In big letters, the title read 'World's Best Jokes'.
"Thanks." She gratefully accepted the gift, randomly flicking through the pages. Charlie felt a pang of guilt- she'd never even talked to Thomas in school before, and he was being so kind.
He raised an eyebrow expectantly and she quickly pressed open a page. "How can a man go ten days without sleep?"
"Be scared shit by walking corpses?" one of their offered.
Charlie stiffled a laugh and said, "He sleeps during the night." Those near enough to hear laughed (or rolled their eyes). Charlie heard Aaron chuckle and quickly closed the book. her cheeks turning red.
She'd not meant to act... possessive. She had no right to, he wasn't hers. He just made her feel safe, like she had a role to play, and maybe they could become something. She brought her attention back to Thomas.
"You see?" He beamed. "Wasn't that hilarious?"
"Yeah, sure." She stood up. "I'm gonna go for a walk."
"Can I come?"
"Oh." Charlie looked around, her eyes adjusting to the darkness away from the firelight. She heard the low hum of crickets outside and imagined how easily it could turn into the moans of zombies. For a second, Charlie had wanted to hide away by herself, but having someone with her didn't sound like such a bad idea. "That'd be nice."
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

107 Reviews

Fri May 12, 2017 2:47 pm

Aaron Harrison

The fire was burning and the warmth was filling up the space. Aaron rested against the desk of the library and stared at the dark ceiling. He remembered when his mother would bring him here when he was really young. The looks that the older women would give when they saw their bruises. At the time he had been too young to understand that his life at home was not normal.

He rubbed his hand through his hair as he looked around at the small group that he had with him. Asklova and Rory were off near the bookcases reading from the same book it seemed. Charlie and Thomas were off on their own in the Library, leaving him with Abigail, Meredith, and Izzy.

Izzy still seemed pissed with him. But with all the studying of books that she had done he couldn't really blame her. She loved those books. Abigail seemed to be in near shock still. Maybe not fully accepting of the situation quite yet. And Meredith was...

Aaron gave a glance around.

He didn't see Meredith anywhere. Aaron began to feel panic rising in his chest. Had they missed a zombie? Was Meredith dead or one of them? Was this whole thing a tr...

"Party coming in!" Meredith called pushing one of the shelving carts from the darkness. On the shelves was a collection of glass bottles with varying heights. Aaron could tell from the labels that they were all alcohol.

"Where the hell did you find all that?" Aaron asked.

"Confiscated goods," Meredith smiled. "They keep the alcohol and toss the rest."

"And just how do you know that?" Izzy inquired.

"One of the teachers mentioned that they get free booze from the library. So I did some digging. Izzy...you seem like a Schnaps." Meredith held out the bottle as if she were the waitress at a restaurant. "Hey, Asklova. Got some good vodka here if you are interested!"

"Keep voice down," Asklova said standing up. She took the bottle and looked it over. "This not vodka. This American beat off."

"You mean 'knock off'," Rory said as the rest of the room gave a small smirk.

"Whatever it is, it's fifty proof. Should at least give you a good buzz," Meredith grinned.

"I don't know if drinking is the best idea guys," Charlie said with a little concern.

"Doors are locked and it's doubtful that we will have this much alcohol again. Might as well enjoy it while we can. Now, what do we have for the fearless, badass leader? How about Captain Morgan."

"If you're talking up game like that you should give me the good stuff. Any Scotch?" Aaron chuckled.

"Nope, fresh out. I need to find myself a better distributor."

"I hear Budweiser is needing business," Thomas commented.

"Not even rednecks drink that garbage," Izzy responded.

The laughs that were going around seemed to ward off the dismay of the outside world. It felt good to Aaron, being able to smile.

"If there is no scotch, how about whiskey?" Aaron inquired.

"Now that I have!" Meredith said as she grabbed the half-full bottle of caramel liquid and handed it to Aaron.

Uncapping it, Aaron took a big swig of it and swallowed quickly...

He immediately regretted it...

The burning that ran down his throat made him go into a coughing fit and the taste was left to be desired. "Oh God! That's awful. Why do people drink this stuff."

"Whiskey is one of those that is better the more you drink it...and in sips. Try not drinking like a football player in a Gatorade commercial," Meredith said passing out a few more bottles.

Aaron took a sip of the alcohol and chuckled as it seemed that people were relaxing a little more. Who knew what would happen tomorrow. But for now...the world seemed safe.

802 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 802
Tue May 16, 2017 1:43 am
Dracula says...

"Whiskey is one of those that is better the more you drink it...and in sips. Try not drinking like a football player in a Gatorade commercial," Meredith said passing out a few more bottles.

Charlie leant against the door way and exchanged a nervous glance with Thomas. This all seemed... naughty. She'd only ever drunk alcohol with her parents at dinner time- and wine probably didn't count as drinking anyway.

Yesterday, she never would have considered it. She wasn't one of those people. You know, the partying, get drunk every Friday type. But she'd fought zombies, just had a very grown-up talk with her new friend, and the world was ending besides.

"Is it safe? With... them outside?"

"What harm could it do?" Thomas shrugged.

Meredith was handing out the bottles, assigning them like a doctor prescribes medicine. Charlie wondered that she'd give her.

"I don't even know what all these names mean," she whispered.

Thomas waved her off. "Don't worry about it, you might be dead tomorrow." He stepped forward, joining the others. "Hey Meredith! What'ya got for Charlie?"

Her face turned beet red and she wanted to run back into the dark hallway. Meredith cocked an eyebrow, tilting her head as she studied Charlotte.

"Hmm. Any preferences, kid?"

What should she say? Budweiser? Captain Morgan? Which was weakest, tastiest, the least intoxicating?

"Umm..." She looked to Thomas for help, but he only approached the cart and grabbed a purple bottle for himself. "I dunno..."

Meredith smiled and Charlie breathed a sigh of relief when she answered for her. "I know what you need."

Charlie tried to see over Meredith's shoulder as she poured something into a coffee mug. She couldn't make out the label, but it looked just like any of the others.

"Meredith..." Izzy said, her lips curled in a grin. "What are you giving her?"

"Beginner's booze." Meredith handed her the mug- its contents were warm. Warm and clear with an orange tinge. It smelt weird. "You'll love it." Some of the others laughed when she said that. Charlie hoped it was just the alcohol and they weren't laughing at her.

Thomas raised his bottle. "Cheers."

"Cheers." She took a gulp. Charlie almost choked, it felt like a fire- hotter than a fire. Why would anyone want to feel like that? But then it happened. The heat moved down into her belly, and it felt... comforting.

Like maybe there weren't a hundred dead people outside. Like maybe they were just eager shoppers waiting for a sale to start, and Charlie was at home in front of the fire with not a care in the world.

She held up the mug again, took another sip. It burned, then it comforted. Her friends were all joining in, drinking their nectar. Like a ritual. Someone laughed, and Charlie laughed too.

If Thomas was right, and she was going to die tomorrow- she wanted to enjoy tonight.
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

69 Reviews

Tue May 30, 2017 4:47 am
NympheaLily says...

Asklova
She stared at the American teens who were busy drinking. She didn't understand how they could be so positive, even in this dark time. She returned her focus to the book she was trying to read. She couldn't decipher the words so she shut it with a snap. The girl, Rory, had gone off to join the rest. She couldn't help but feel lonely. Sure, it was her own fault as well for not initiating contact, but one thing was for certain.

She could not get close with any of them.

That was something she could not afford. Getting close to people always led to disaster, and she knew that from experience. Asklova got up and walked around the library. There were books scattered all over the floor and some were torn up and muddied from people trampling around on them. She noticed a window on her left and headed towards it. The glass was a little smudged but it didn't cloud much of the outside. There were zombies everywhere, just limping around aimlessly, groaning in a cliche way. She looked back towards the sound of people. The sound of trust.

She wouldn't allow it.

This was a mistake, she thought, I'm better off alone... She examined the window and found a latch that was holding it shut. She undid it and pushed the window open. The night air was cool and fresh. There was a screen and Asklova took a knife that was hidden inside her boot and slashed it open. She carefully climbed out of the window and landed on the ground. The zombies were not very orally inclined and did not hear her coming. She looked down at her clothes and decided that her first order of business was to not be sneaking around in such bright clothing. She needed black. Second order of business was to get weapons and food. She wouldn't survive very long with her knife.

She scanned for a pathway through the zombies. There were cars and such in the back parking lot of the school that would make for great shelter options. She could stealth kill some zombies on the way out if needed. She crept forward and hid behind another car. Something about this was strangely exhilarating, but also terrifying. There was no margin for error.

Asklova kept the same pattern. Wait, roll, hide, wait, roll hide. She was almost to the woods when she rolled and realized that a zombie was right in her line of travel. She stopped halfway and quickly scrambled to the other side of the car but it was too late, the zombie had heard her and was now heading straight towards her. She took out her knife and slashed at the backside of its knees. It went down, opening its mouth to shriek, but Asklova stabbed her knife into the thing's throat, cutting the sound off. These things may not be mentally sound, but their bodies were still human and still had human functionalities. Hopefully, they didn't heal extremely fast like in the science fiction novels back home.

Asklova took off into the woods, following the street lights just barely visible through the trees. Traveling in the woods was safer because according to her logic, they would mainly be concentrated around the places where there were people. On second thought, how would I be able to get new clothing? Asklova asked herself. Oh well, she'd just have to wing it.

After a couple of minutes, she came across a department store that had a sign with pictures of hunting equipment on it. The sport of shooting animals was always something Asklova disagreed with. Oh well, at least there is weapons for me, she thought. There weren't a whole lot of zombies around so she decided to make a break for it. Asklova ran into the store as fast as she could, giving the zombies little time to react. Once she was in, she decided to peruse the shelves. Apparently, other people had been here because most of the stuff was missing. She soon found herself a black leather jacket and some camo cargo pants with some hunting boots and a black tank top. She got herself changed when she remembered something she read a while ago.

Incase of a zombie apocalypse, wrap your arms in duct tape. It'll make sure you aren't bitten in case you need to reload or your knife gets stuck. Asklova kept this in mind when she was looking around for weapons. She found the archery section and took a crossbow and some bolts. She didn't know how to use one but she would soon figure it out. She also figured it would be a better choice to preserve her hearing rather than choosing a gun. She also took some duct tape, a lighter, hunting knives, power bars, a bandanna, extra bolts, a flashlight, first aid kit, an ax, a sleeping bag, an eye tactical helmet with a mask and drape, and a backpack to carry all of her stuff. She also took some lightweight canisters used for carrying gasoline with her. She could pump some gasoline into that and maybe use it in emergencies. All of this came from her knowledge from reading those "What to do in a zombie apocalypse" blogs.

With all of her new stuff, she felt prepared for the outside world. For now, however, she needed to find a place to spend the night. She looked around and found a place high in the rafters to set up her camp. She made her way up there with everything she had and nestled herself between a beam and the wall. There would be no time for rest tonight.
Will Solace IRL

107 Reviews

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:53 am

Aaron Harrison

Despite the alcohol that was being passed around, the exhaustion of the day caught up with everyone. Slowly one by one, everyone began falling asleep. Soon, there was just Aaron and Charlie awake.

"How are you so calm about this?" Charlie asked with slightly slurred speech.

"Calm about what?" Aaron responded.

"This! The end of the world. Everyone is freaking out but you have kept your head this whole time."

Aaron chuckled as he threw another chair leg on the fire. "To be honest I haven't really though about it. I'm kinda used to terrible situations."

"What do you mean? You seem so...cool and...confident...."

"I...didn't have the best home life," Aaron admitted. "Things going wrong, fear, I'm used to it. So...I just reacted as I needed to."

"Yeah...like...t..that..."

Aaron looked over and saw how Charlie had fallen asleep. A grin on his face as he pulled one of the blankets over her.

"Things will be better tomorrow."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few hours before sunrise, Aaron began quickly waking people. "We have to get going. The sooner we get going the better."

"I can't find Asklova," Rory said with a worried tone.

"Her pack is gone. I think she elected to go on her own," Aaron said.

"Shouldn't we try to look for her?" Charlie said rubbing her temple a little.

"She left some time last night. I'm pretty sure that she doesn't want us to follow her." The group nodded quietly as they grabbed their packs. "There is a walgreens just down the road. We can try to find a hearing aid for Rory and batteries."

Grabbing his pack a book fell out at Rory's feet. The title reading "American Sign Language for Beginners". Picking it up she gave Aaron a small smile before he put it into his pack and headed for the door.

When something is broken, it can be fixed.
— Benjamin Alire Saenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe