Young Writers Society

The Ghosts of Wildegate

223 Reviews

Reviews: 223
Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:29 am
View Likes
Kelpies says...

Jane

"What the hell? Did you just exorcise her?!!!" I didn't notice as Arthur went to hide- he knew what was coming and by god anyone with half a mind wouldn't want to be nearby. "Do you have any idea how terrified she must have been?! HOW THE HELL WOULD YOU FEEL IF SOMEONE HAD BRUTALLY MURDERED YOU HUH??!!!" I yelled, in any decent cartoon smoke would be pouring out of my ears.

I grabbed the hilt of my sword, yanking it out of it's scabbard with practiced precision. The blade glowed a ghostly blue- representing it's attachment to a departed soul.

"Drive away any more of these poor souls." I began, doing my best to simmer down before the world went red and I'd do something I was going to regret. "And those souls will be the least of your concerns." I sheathed my sword, stalking away- back upstairs.

How could they not see the suffering of the departed? Could they not see the trauma in leaving your life behind with no chance of return? Was I ALWAYS surrounded by un-empathetic morons? The ghosts were just people, and in order to be ghosts they'd gone through something no one should ever have to live past.

Death.

I paced through the halls of the hotel- my agitation refusing to go away. I sighed, taking off my helmet so I had something relatively not dangerous to fiddle with until I could sit still. As soon as I'd taken my helmet off something was stuffed in my mouth- a taste I knew a little about filled my senses.

Chloroform.
We are who we are, and if someone has a problem with that; that's their problem not ours.
I do believe that insane is the only way to go.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:55 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

SCHADEL H. KUEPER

"Th-they exorcised her," she managed to get out in shock, her eyes not straying from the salt circle.

She heard people entering the basement behind her - she knew it was her assistants from the sudden string of swears coming from both Edward and Claire's mouth. The two were absolutely terrified, and for good reason. Emotions flashed inside her mind - anger, shock, horror - only to suddenly come to a halt when Liz quietly questioned, "Is there still a link to her body?"

Schadel took a deep breath. Liz was onto something. If she could see the faint link between a body and the soul (the ghost) that once inhabited it, that would mean the little girl was alright. It wasn't easy to see, and normally she wouldn't be looking for it or a soul.

There was a faint line.

"She's alright." She turned back to grin at her assistants. "The girl's alright! She hasn't been exorcised-" Her skin became even paler than usual. There was something behind the three crowded by the entrance, but she couldn't tell what it was with the poor lighting. Behind her, in the shadowy depths of the room, she heard people yell out and struggling against their captors. She tried to do the same to warn the three standing in the doorway, but something with hands as cold as her own stuffed a rag into her mouth and injected something into her shoulder. Unable to fight back, her limbs went limp and she fell into the clutches of sleep as her consciousness was robbed from her.

When she awoke, she found herself tied to a chair. She could hear people talking around her, but none of the voices belonged to her friends. It was a disturbing thing to note.

Then she heard a voice from beside her go, "Schadel?" She turned to see the outline of her only living assistant in the darkness. "Is that you?"

She nodded. "Yeah...Do you have any idea where we are?"

"I think part of the basement, I'm not sure." Her voice sounded as if she was in pain. "I overheard some of our captors talking earlier. They didn't really go into specifics."

Worry laced her whispered words. "You're hurt, aren't you?" As she waited for a response, she began to test out her bonds. She doubted that she would be able to break free of them.

"I just hit my head when they knocked me out. It's throbbing a little, but I should be alright." There was a long, drawn out pause. "Do you think it's possible for monsters to exist, Schadel?"

She shifted in an attempt to make escape easier, but her efforts failed. "I guess so? Why are you asking?"

"Because it sounded like one of our captors was a vampire." Schadel nearly choked on her spit at the suggestion. "He was talking about how he had locked away Edward and Claire so they couldn't help whoever they were with. Apparently, Claire pissed him off by yelling from inside the room if he sparkled or burned in sunlight."

She hide a laugh by coughing. "Why am I not surprised-"

"What are you doing?!"

The door had, seconds earlier, been swung open. Lights flooded the room as an incredibly pale man stormed over to the boys from before. Oliver peeked up from behind Luke's chair, both of their faces filled with horror.

"Um...trying to get a bit more comfortable!" Schadel craned her neck back at them. Their true motives for their actions were incredibly obvious; they were trying to escape.

A pair of sharp fangs glinted in the dim lighting of the room as the man roughly heaved Oliver to his feet and started to make for the door. I have to do something! But what could she possibly do? If the man was human, he was most likely going to harm or even kill the boy. If the man was actually a vampire, he was going to suck his blood!

"Wait."

The man halted and turned back to stare at her with dead eyes. "Yes?"

She wasn't quite sure what she wanted to say, but she knew that she would have to deal with that uncertainty if she wanted to have any chance of protecting Oliver. "You're a vampire, correct?"'

"...I am."

She eased back into her chair. "I would recognize another monster anywhere," she lied. She didn't met the questioning gaze Liz directed towards her; doing so would ruin everything.

She was relieved to note that the grip on Oliver's arm lessened. "You look like a human."

The smile she gave was a cold one. "How else am I supposed to fit in with them?" She adopted the role of someone who didn't possess a metaphorical heart (because she didn't have a literal one as it was) with the hopes it would work. "I assume you and the others are going to consume them?"

An equally cold smile graced his features in return, revealing his sharp incisors as he moved back into the room. "That is the plan." Then suspicion set in, and he approached her with menacing footsteps. "What do you really look like, if you actually are a monster?"

She took a barely noticeable deep breath. If she had to reveal her true nature, so be it. She was going to save everyone if it was the last thing she was going to do. Her form began to fade. Darkness began to appear in its place as she grew taller and more lean. The cold, confident smile faded into darkness. Soon, the only feature from before that remained was the eyes the color of polished silver.

"So you are one of us," the monster mused. "Why did you hide your form?"

"To pick out suitable prey, naturally." Her gaze wandered over to Liz, who, understanding what game Schadel was playing at, looked horrified and confused. "I chose this human girl as my prey, so I would prefer if you didn't try taking her for your own." She made sure to sound threatening. "Why don't you tie that boy up in my chair and I'll come with you to meet your kin instead?"

There was a tense moment of silence. "Alright," the man agreed.

It wasn't long before she was freed and Oliver was tied up in the chair.

Now if only she could figure out what to do with her sudden freedom.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

223 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:27 pm
View Likes
Kelpies says...

Jane

When I woke up- I couldn't remember what had happened- nor did I care. Today this was my dreamworld. I got up and stretched- questioning briefly why my body was tied to a chair. A vampire walked around nearby, and I heard a lot of noise going on somewhere nearby.

"Is it Christmas?" I asked- wondering if it was some sort of Christmas party. The vampire seemed slightly confused. "I like Christmas." I declared- certain in my dream-like state that this was confusing him.

"It's hallows eve- chimera-ling. You should know this."

"Oh! Silly me." I didn't question the fact that he'd called me a chimera-ling. "Is there to be a hunt? I once joined a vampire on hunt- it was a very curious ordeal." I chuckled. The vampire looked perplexed, glancing between me and my body tied to a chair. "Yes you're in my dream-land." I said dreamily. "Which should be extremely curious to you but it won't be because you're in my head."

I noticed Schadel and Liz- I didn't know how I knew it was Schadel- since she was kind of shadow-y. "Ooh is it a monster party? Those are fun unless you're on the menu." I chuckled- my chuckle faded as a realization came over me. I glanced between the vampire and my unconscious body. "...Oh," my lip trembled. "It's a shame really- we could have been such good friends." Just like in all my dreams I had ghostly flames. And just like in all my dreams I could always watch them reduce someone to dust. As the flames reached up from his feet he let out a blood-curdling scream.

I hummed to the tune of 'This is Halloween' "I do wonder what this dream has in store?" Both Liz and Schadel looked more than slightly mortified. "Are those chairs comfortable?" I asked. "I do not see why you have not yet gotten out of them!" The fact that they were tied to the chairs didn't register in my mind.

I spoke to the charred corpse of the vampire. "I shall now go party with your friends- I'm sure they won't mind that you don't accompany me." I skipped in the general direction of the party- passing through whatever was in my way.

The room was absolutely filled with fascinating creatures. Monsters of every form- werewolves in a form between man and wolf- freely displaying their strangeness. What an open atmosphere- what an accepting group! Surely my strangeness would be appreciated instead of shunned and turned away. I pranced into the room- light in spite of what I'd just done. My eyes seemed to magnetize on someone in the corner- a man that I thought to be about my age. He was tan and well built- he looked like the type of person you'd see numerous women fawning over. Instead of participating in the party- he'd found himself a little corner and was reading a book in it. I felt like I knew him from somewhere, but I wasn't sure where. I skipped over to him.

"Hello!" I said cheerfully- which startled him so much that he dropped his book. I caught it before it hit the floor- and handed it back to him.

"Jane?" He questioned.

"Your name is Thomas." I said matter-of-factly.

"We have to get you out of here."

"Your eyes are big." If I hadn't been dreaming I would have identified this as a symptom of fear.

"Yes they are. Come on Jane- we need to find your body."

I pouted. "But there's a party here."

"Exactly." He grabbed my hand. "We need to find your body before someone eats it."

"Oh I took care of the vampire that was going to eat my body." I smiled. "He screamed like a girl." I giggled.

"Come on Jane." He lead me out of the room. Had I been awake- I might have noticed that his hand was shaking.
We are who we are, and if someone has a problem with that; that's their problem not ours.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:22 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

EDWARD SMITH

Pulling out his lighter, he lifted it up to the cigarette in his mouth and lit it. Tendrils of smoke curled up towards the ceiling as he watched the door. "Smoking kills you," Claire absentmindedly said from beside him. Her comment was several notches down from their usual, joking banter.

His gaze didn't waver. "I'm already a ghost." A pause. "Boo."

"That's so terrifying that I'm dying from fright."

He heard her get to her feet. With a sigh, he did the same. Their chances of escape were close to zero; they had no way to leave the room. Their sole plan was to wait for some stupid monster to come and try entering the room. If that didn't happen, they might as well resign themselves to the fact that they were stuck there for the rest of eternity.

He shifted slightly. Liz and Schadel, along with all of those humans, were trapped. They were most likely going to be eaten by monsters, or at the very least be killed by them. Mind numb with the possibility of Liz losing her life, he wondered if it was possible to become a ghost after dying that way. Would they kill her and then eat her? Or did they prefer their prey live? What would a ghost that died the second way look like?

The images that the suggestions conjured made his stomach queasy.

"Did you hear that?" Claire suddenly whispered.

He focused on the current situation. If he listened carefully, he could hear the faint sound of footsteps approaching. There was the sound of another set, just a bit behind. The first set sped up. A smile stretched from one ear to the other as Edward blew out the flame of his cigarette.

The room fell dark. He grabbed a chair and made his way over to the door. Claire stood on the other side, ready to slam the door if the monster entered.

The door swung open. A tall, menacing shape burst through the doorway. It was too dark to make out their features; Edward simply swung the chair as Claire closed the door just enough so it was still slightly open.

The second set of footsteps passed.

Edward pulled out his lighter to see what exactly they had managed to take out.

The unconscious figure on the floor was all too familiar. Though the "monster" could have just as easily been another one of her kind, the silver cross glinting on her chest when they rolled her over confirmed her identity.

It was Schadel.

"Crap," he and Claire said simultaneously.
mage

queer and here.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:16 pm
View Likes
JuliasSneezer says...

Oliver didn't even bother turning his head around as Luke heaved a heavy sigh. They were tied back up in their chairs, back to back, unable to see each other. He had been in the middle of trying desperately to form an escape plan. He hadn't the slightest clue what to do so far, but he was still irked at Luke jerking him out of his mind. "Luke. Could you please quit sighing?"

Luke let out another sigh. Oliver didn't know how he did it, but he somehow made it sound even more bored. "There's nothing to do."

"You'd think that our imminent deaths would keep you entertained." Oliver grumbled.

"Nope!" Luke piped. Oliver scowled at the little smirk he could almost see Luke wearing. "Hey. Tell me a story."

"No."

"Come on, nothing?"

Oliver was about to deny Luke his request again, until he paused. "Fine."

"Yipee! wish I had my blanket," Luke said in a fake whistful tone.

"Okay. Once upon a time, there was a boy named Luke."

"I like this guy. Was he devilishly handsome?"

"If you want."

"Trust me, I do."

Oliver rolled his eyes, still feeling quite irritated. "There was once a guy named Luke, who was devastatingly handsome."

"I like that better."

"One day, Devastatingly handsome Luke was tied to a chair with his best friend. Luke wouldn't stop talking. That is until Luke's best friend wrung his tiny little neck with his own hands. The end!" Oliver concluded brightly, putting a fake smile into effect.

Luke shifted in his seat. "Of course I had to be tied up next to you when you are in a bad mood."
"When in doubt, improvise!"
-Winny the woodpecker

383 Reviews

Reviews: 383
Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:04 am
View Likes
Sujana says...

Adriel

Adriel woke up in a pit of darkness, a little bit of light glowing from his chest.

He didn't remember much. He remembered doing something incredibly stupid, but he wasn't entirely sure why he did it. I really do need Camiel, he thought. Somebody has to act stupidly angry, and obviously it doesn't look too good on me.

He also remembered things swooping in the night, grabbing the people who charged into the basement (for whatever reason). Of course, that was disturbing to him, as it suggested that somebody else was inhabiting Wildegate. But he had other things to worry about, and for once, Camiel wasn't on the top of the list.

"Hey there. Hey," he pulled out the blue flame hiding inside his vest, linked to a small stone of salt. "How's it going?"

The flame swirled a bit, before finally looking up to her. "I want to go home," it said. "May I go home?"

Adriel stared at her for a moment, before nodding. "Where's your home, dear?" he asked, "Do you live nearby here?"

The flame considered the question. "My mum said never talk to strangers."

Adriel chuckled, almost sadly. "Yeah. Alright. Smart girl," he leaned in slightly, "How about your grandparents? Do you know where they live?"

"Grandma's dead."

He grinned. "No, no. She's just hiding," he said. "She's been hiding for years, you just forgot to find her. She's complaining about how you've made her wait for so long. But we're going to finish our hide-and-go-seek game now, yeah? And then she'll give you all the candies in the world."

The flame tilted its head slightly. "But I got so many candies this Halloween."

"And you'll get even more, soon enough," he laughed. "Just you wait. Wait a little while for me, won't you?"

The blue flame burned slightly, before dimming. "Alright. Alright."

Adriel clutched the salt, glancing around the room. "Tell me something," he said, "Are you--hurt?"

The flame jumped a bit. "No. I mean, well," she paused. "My face hurts a bit."

"What happened?"

"I--" she paused. "I don't know. Thinking makes my head hurt."

Adriel nodded. "Do you remember anybody? A face, maybe? The last person you trick-or-treated with."

The flame considered the question. "I remember an old man. A nice old man," she said. "He gave me five chocolate bars, and let me sleep on his couch when I was tired. He had a bunch of creepy animal heads on his wall, though, and he said his pants were leather, but they--I mean, Papa makes leather for a living, and I've never seen leather like the old man's."

The demon's face turned grim, his mind placing the pieces together. "Stay here, alright? We'll get out soon," he tried on a smile. "Just you wait."

The flame nodded, before finally dimming. Adriel stashed the salt rock in his pocket, slowly standing back up. The first thing on the list was done. Now, onto the inevitable.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief."

Ecclesiastes 1: 18

223 Reviews

Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:52 pm
View Likes
Kelpies says...

Jane

"Jane, why did you leave your body?" Thomas asked exasperatedly.

"I didn't leave my body! You're in my head." I poked his nose. "Boop!" I found the fake skull I'd brought here. "Can I blow this up?"

"No, you can't blow that up."

"I'm gonna blow it up."

"Don't blow it up."

Boom It exploded loudly, blowing dust everywhere, but it wasn't powerful enough to actually damage the house. "I blew it up!"

"Stop fooling around!"

"You know, you're always the voice of logic in these dreams." I wrinkled my nose "Probably why I never listen, logic's no fun!"

"You're impossible you know that?"

"Yes."

He sighed, before looking like he had an idea. "Let's play a game!"

"What kind of game?"

"A hide-and-go-seek game."

"Fun!" I bounced a little bit.

"Great! First person to find your body wins, loser does plumbing duty!" Plumbing at my hotel could be very... Challenging. Disgusting. Awful.

"You're going down!" I announced, floating back to my body.

I arrived in the room my body had been in, and found that my body wasn't there. Fun! I had a challenge now! I ran around, through walls, through everything. I eventually tripped over something and fell, knocking something- no, someone over.

"Hello! You haven't seen my body lying around have you? The werewolf wants me to find it."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:50 pm
Mageheart says...

SCHADEL H. KUEPER

She awoke to a searing headache and the sight of her two ghostly assistants staring down at her with guilty expressions on their faces. A chair rested at Edward's feet; it didn't take long for her to figure out what had happened. "Hi," she said, wincing as she got to her feet. "Are you two the only ones in here?"

They nodded. "Is Liz alright?" Edward nervously questioned. Schadel hesitantly nodded. "Where is she?"

"She's still in the room where we were locked up," Schadel replied. She dusted herself off and peeked out into the hallway. No one appeared to be in it, which was a welcome sight and a major relief. "But I came up with a story about her being my prey, so I doubt they'll try harming her anytime soon." Her eyes gained a worried look. "I can't say the same for the other people. I couldn't find all of them, and there was something wrong with Jane when I ran into her. It was almost like she was an astral projection, but it wasn't like she was a spirit. I can't explain it."

"So that leaves Orlando, Skyla, Luke, Oliver, Adrian, Cameron, Jane, and the marionette. Besides them, we also have to account for the ghost of the dead girl in the basement." Claire sighed as she put the chair back into place. "Did you at least find out what happened?"

Schadel nodded as they all slipped out into the hallway. After a moment of concentration, a silver scythe appeared in her hand. She didn't want to use it, but it was a perfect way to intimidate whoever they ran into. Hopefully, she wouldn't have to use it as a weapon. "We've been taken captive by monsters. They're upset that we've disrupted this house - which is theirs - and plan on eating all of the humans. Which means we have to free them before they can harm us-"

Someone suddenly bumped into Schadel. Schadel gave a startled cry and loudly exclaimed, "Scheisse!" as they both fell over. Upon getting up, she saw that the person in question was Jane. She still looked as she had the last time she had met the woman in the hallways of wherever they were; it troubled Schadel greatly.

"Hello!" Jane cheerfully exclaimed. "You haven't seen my body lying around, have you? The werewolf wants me to find it."

"Uh..." She cast a glance at Edward and Claire, who both gave very confused shrugs. "No, I haven't. But maybe we could help you look for it if you promise to help us find everyone else afterwards?"
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:51 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

LUCAS FLIGHT

There was a flurry of activity among the other monsters; it wasn't long before he overheard what the cause of it was. Humans had entered the sprawling house above, and a small band of monsters had gone and brought them into the underground complex where the monsters had been in the midst of Halloween festivities.

A changeling approached him and offered him a glass of what looked suspiciously like blood. He politely declined. The changeling didn't question his decision; monsters had a wide variety of tastes, and the only one who knew exactly what he was was Lucas Flight himself.

Lucas was a solitary monster. Though several monsters had tried to ally themselves with the newcomer to the conglomerate of non-humans, none had succeeded. It was because of this that he had managed to keep what he was hidden from the other monsters.

Exiting the room, he readjusted his mask with gloved fingers. He then proceeded to try neatening his hair with his fingers. When that attempt failed, he reluctantly moved on to looking over his clothing. “What are you doing, Lucas?”

He looked up from his coat and focused on the alluringly beautiful woman standing in the doorway to the main room. Her silky dark brown locks of hair cascaded down her back as she approached him. The light blue dress she wore sparkled in the lights of the torches, and matched her seductive green eyes.

She sipped a glass of blood; he knew it had to be blood, for that was the only thing the siren would drink. “It couldn't possibly be that you're going to go see the humans, could it?” She took a step towards him, her gaze never faltering. He never drew his eyes away from her as she approached. Doing so would be a sign of weakness, something he couldn't afford. “I won't tell if you do,” she whispered into his ear. “It's been too calm lately. I need a bit of a ruckus. Just save me the most handsome of the humans, Lucas? I haven't fed on fresh prey in a long time.” Her lips curled up into a smile. Lucas couldn't help but stare at the pair of sharp incisors.

“I have not fed for several years now,” he informed her. His blue eyes, cold and calculating, watched her with what appeared to be regret. “I am unsure if I will be able to comply with your request, Cyrine.”

She leaned in closer to him. “Are you a harpy, Lucas? The ones I've met always preen before their meals.”

He gently pushed her away and turned his back to her. “No, I am not.”

He checked the hallway for other monsters as he neared the room several of the humans were being kept in. There were none, and he slowly opened the door to the sight of the humans tied to chairs. The five stared at him with horror in their eyes; he even heard one of the two boys give what sounded to be a muffled scream.

And almost a second later, he found a pocketknife up against his bandaged throat. The wielder was the young woman with mousy brown hair and piercing green eyes. He looked at her chair. The ropes didn't appear to be cut – in fact, they appeared to be untied. “Tell me everything I want to know, and I might let you live, monster.” She pressed it further into his throat. If he was human, it would have drawn blood.

He easily knocked it out of her hands. She rushed to pick it up. Lucas used the opportunity to walk over to the boys. One of them looked at him with disbelief in his eyes, while the one who had screamed paled and seemed to be on the verge of crying. He leaned down next to trembling one. The woman gave a frustrated cry of alarm and tried to attack him with her pocketknife, but he easily sidestepped and disarmed her.

He once again leaned down next to boy. The boy closed his eyes tightly as Lucas grabbed onto the back of the chair. With swift precision, Lucas untied him. “I am here to help you,” he said. “I promise that I will not harm any of you.”

The woman regarded him with a look of suspicion as he freed the other boy, the man and the second woman. “Who are you?” she questioned, reluctantly closing her pocketknife. “Better yet, what are you and why did you just free them?”

“My name is Lucas Flight. I cannot tell you what I am, but I can tell you my motives.” His eyes swept across the room. Being new to the group of monsters meant he was unsure of where the other humans were being kept. “I do not want you to be killed by the others. That is all.”

The woman prepared to open her pocketknife once again. “Why? Because you want to kill us yourself and eat us? You're a monster. Isn't that the whole point of being one?”

He shook his head, trying to hide his growing frustration. That's what you get for trying to help someone. “I do not feed on humans.”
mage

queer and here.

223 Reviews

Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:18 am
View Likes
Kelpies says...

Jane

"Deal pickles!" I grinned. "Which others? Other creatures and monsters- because you can just follow the noise of the party to find those."

"No- I think they're mostly human." The lady I'd run into said slowly. I think her name was Schadel.

"Coolio. Find the people, find my body, easy peasy lemon squeezie."

There came a quiet knock at the door. "Who could that be?" I asked, opening the door before anyone could stop me. On the doorstep stood Thomas.

"Oh, I guess no body in here then."

"That is correct sir. This challenge ain't over yet."

"Who is that?" Asked a female ghost.

"I-I'm Thomas." He said. He always stuttered around strangers.

"He's a werewolf." I said bluntly, giggling as he stared at me as though betrayed.

"I-I mean N-no harm." He said, a tiny bit of panic in his eyes. "I just wanted J-Jane back to herself."

I punched him lightly, he winced a little more than I thought he should have. "Schtap being such a scardey-wolf." He gave me a defiant glare which just made me laugh. Eventually he joined in.

"Let's go find some people." I said, running out the door. Thomas didn't follow me, he seemed to want to stay with the other people.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:33 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Schadel H. Kueper

She looked the werewolf over. He didn't seem to be a threat, seeing that he was assisting Jane. Who, Schadel noted as she saw the woman go rushing down the hallway, is definitely not a normal human. She gave him a warm smile. In response, his eyes widened in what appeared to be fear. It took her several seconds to realize why he seemed so terrified.

She was in her grim reaper form; if someone wasn't used to seeing a smile on the shadowy face, it would seem like something straight out of a horror movie. To add to it, she currently had her scythe out. Her plan to use it as a form of intimidation seemed to be working.

The smile faded. “My name is Schadel. Our friend Liz and a group of humans were captured by some of the other monsters here. I would change my form so I don't look so terrifying, but I look far more scary like this.”

From beside her, Claire piped up with, “The name's Claire Fortier, and the soldier next to me is Edward Smith. If you haven't already guessed it, we're ghosts.”

“Hey!” Edward protested. “I can introduce myself.”

Claire stuck her tongue out at him. “You snooze, you lose! I spoke first, so I got dibs on the intro.”

After a moment, Schadel added, “Oh, and I'm a grim reaper.”

Thomas' eyes widened even more.

“Not that I'm going to reap your soul or anything!” she frantically explained. “I only reap the souls of people who have died or the souls of ghosts who want to move on, and I have to concentrate in order for that to happen.”

Jane suddenly ran back and tried tugging on Thomas' arm. “Come on!” she said. “I want to win this game fairly.” When he didn't move, she complained with a pout, “You're no fun!” and proceeded to wander into the nearest room.

“If you don't me asking,” Schadel slowly said, “what exactly happened to Jane, and why are you helping her?”
mage

queer and here.

223 Reviews

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:23 pm
View Likes
Kelpies says...

Thomas

"I-I'm actually not completely certain what the cause of Jane's abnormality is, but her soul has left her body. According to her ghostly friends trying to possess her during this state is like trying to attack a hook to the spines of a porcupine- so she's in little danger of possession. Her mind is more than a little bit confused when she's like this- she thinks she's dreaming." He paused. "As for why I'm helping her... We've been good friends for a long time." He briefly recalled when he and Jane had met.

Werewolf packs are in a way less threatening than human gangs- because one is only a threat once a month while the other is always present. As far as he could tell, someone was trying to recruit Jane into a gang. He had been walking home from his job at the library late one new moon- walking on the sidewalk right by a dark alley, when he heard talking from around the corner. He peered around to investigate.

"You have two choices Ms. Doe, join us or face the consequences." A mysterious stranger told an 18 year old Jane, a gun leveled at her chest, two other thugs behind him. They smelled like marijuana and wore masks to hide their identities.

Jane stared down the barrel of the gun coolly. She didn't seem afraid- just fed up. "I have already given you your answer, and my reasons. Now if you don't leave me alone I will have no other choice but to call the cops."

"Jane Doe. Misses I'm-not-a-murderer. Miss I-was-possessed. No one buys your crap. Killing your parents- that takes some guts man. We could use someone like you."

"I said I'm not coming. If that's all the reason you need, then shoot me- I dare you."

He cocked his gun. "Fair enough Jane."

Thomas couldn't just stand there and do nothing, so he did the only thing he could think of- he attacked the man with the gun. Thomas knocked the gun away from him, hearing a shot ring out over his shoulder. Jane also lept into action, taking on both of the backup men. She moved fast, a whirling tornado of fury. Soon enough, both men were on the ground unconscious, one of the first one's arms lying at an unnatural angle, the other with his knee bent the wrong way. Thomas eventually released the first one, which ran away in fright.

"Why did you help me?" Jane asked.

"I b-believe you." He responded. "I believe that you were p-possessed."

She nodded. "You would you know- being a werewolf and all." She said, before walking away into the night.

Thomas shook himself to bring himself back to the present. "If something happens to her body while she's away, I don't know what'll happen," and he was terrified for her life.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:47 pm
View Likes
JuliasSneezer says...

OLIVER ROBERTS:

Oliver had no clue what was going on. He was sure that if he opened up his eyes any further, they'd roll right out of his head. He shuffled his left foot back. He clenched his left hand around Luke's right wrist, trying to subtly alert him on his plan to quietly get as far away as they could.

Luke, not immediately catching on the ploy, jumped.

Lucas' eyes flickered over to him, destroying the plan, however pathetic it may have been.

Oliver released Luke's wrist, mind whirring as he tried to come up with a new plan. In the meantime, he tried to divert the attention back to the odd situation. "Hang on, feed on people?"

Lucas gave the tiniest shake of his head. The smallest nod that he could do with a knife held at his gullet. "Other monsters. Not me."

"And how do we know?" A voice asked next to Oliver.

Oliver was frankly surprised at Luke's sudden burst of courage. He couldn't understand how his voice could sound so firm when he looked to be so deep in emotional turmoil.
Last edited by JuliasSneezer on Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When in doubt, improvise!"
-Winny the woodpecker

383 Reviews

Reviews: 383
Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:39 am
View Likes
Sujana says...

Adriel

He wasn't entirely certain what he expected when he found Camiel.

It wasn't entirely difficult, seeing as there was a ruckus in a certain part of the house, and when he finally located where it was coming from he wasn't entirely certain what he expected when he found the party, either. There were monsters--some vampires, some werewolves, a whole lot of curiousity--staring him down as he opened the door, the entire room falling somewhat silent. There was still chatter in the back, but for the most part he suddenly found himself the center of attention.

It was stupid of him to walk in, he realized, but he didn't know what to think. He coughed, awkwardly laughing to the group. "Hi. Uh." he loosened his tie, "I must be disturbing something."

A vampire studied his attire, and in a confusing moment of silence, nodded approvingly. "And you are?" a werewolf, fully turned but somehow still sporting a collared white shirt and dark trousers, asked.

"A human," a female vampire smacked her red lips in the back. "How convenient. We could use another one."

"Woah." Adriel raised one hand, reaching for his spellbook in the other. He had a hunch that wherever Camiel was, these fellows had something to do with it--and it seemed like he'd have to fight his way to find out. "Easy there. I'm just trying to find a friend."

"Bold of you to come along here, then," the previous werewolf approached him before he could back away, grabbing him by the collar, "You can join them at dinner--"

Adriel whispered a spell he was required to memorize back in demon training, turning into a wisp of smoke. There was a mouthed 'ah' through the cloud as he wafted through the air, glancing dizzily to find a familiar face. "He's not human," he heard somebody realize, and he wasn't sure if he was in more trouble or less, "I know that spell from anywhere."

There was a chanting in the crowd, and suddenly he dropped to the floor, back to his physical form. Monsters of all shapes and forms circled him, some staring in delight, some in disgust. Before he could recite the spell again, somebody grabbed him by the collar, and a furry hand was held to his mouth. He had writhed, and then he felt the sudden impact of his skull to the floor, and he fell into blackness again.

When he woke up, he was no longer in the room he once was in. He knew, because it only had three other people in it, candlelight casting strange shadows on the cement walls. He recognized one of the people there--he was not awake, nor was he asleep. His eyes were open, but there was something...wrong with them.

"Camiel?"

That's what he would've said. At least, that's what he think he would've said, if there wasn't a slip of cloth in his mouth. But it was no use even if he could speak, because the Camiel lying on the floor beside him wouldn't move, nor would he blink, nor would he even breathe. Adriel clenched his fists, thinking him dead, but then the body stuttered uncontrollably, as if it was being electrocuted.

And--and it changed.

"Your friend here fought bravely," the other person--a vampire, from the looks of things--said, wearing a strange looking hood. "Took out three of my men. Perhaps the only party casualty we've had in decades. It's a shame we couldn't even feast on him, after we finally incapacitated him."

Adriel looked up. There was another figure, a werewolf, but different from the other one he saw. This one was white, eyes as red as the blood moon, claws never retracting. "Why has heaven and hell sent their ambassadors to our doorstep?" it said. "What do they want?"

He wasn't entirely certain how to respond, since he was tied up and gagged. The vampire seemed to acknowledge that, chuckling away. "Worry not, Mr. Adriel," he said. "We won't harm you. However, since your presence proves--troublesome to our guests," he pulled out something from his robe, and immediately Adriel knew he was done for. "Your spellbook has been very helpful. I found one chapter especially interesting; on the matter of angelic souls, and how to break them."

Oh god.

"You seemed to ignore this one passage, since it isn't highlighted or in any way touched on, but it is quite the read," the vampire looked to the white wolf. "Chomsky. Were you aware angelic bodies are just as vulnerable to lyncanthropy or vampirism as any human one?'

The werewolf seemed to grin.

"Ah, but there's a catch, isn't there? There's always a catch." the vampire pulled down his hood, flipping through the pages of the book. "The holy properties of the angelic soul is protection enough from transformation. But if a human soul is acquired--"

Oh god.

"--and you're capable of incapacitating the angel--"

Oh god.

The vampire pulled out a blue flame from his sleeves, the little girl inside crying out. He flicked the flame to Camiel, and the angel burst into flames. "Link it with a little humanity and it's vulnerable to everything humanity's known for," the vampire turned to the wolf. "Will you do the honors?"

Adriel tried to scream. He did, even as he cringed when the werewolf picked up Camiel like a rag doll, sinking his teeth into his torso. But no amount of screaming would do as he watched his colleague tremble and quake, and change even further. And when the wolf ears and the claws appeared, it was already too late.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief."

Ecclesiastes 1: 18

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:28 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Lucas Flight

He was torn between groaning and giving the boy who had spoken up the best glare he could possibly muster. He eventually settled on brushing nonexistent dust off of his shoulders in attempt to act as if he wasn't growing more and more frustrated. “You know,” he said, finally meeting the boy's gunmetal blue eyes, “because I just freed you all.”

The woman from before gave him a look of disbelief. “How can we be sure that you're not going to lead us to your lair, where you'll kill us and eat us? We have no reason to trust what you said.” She crossed her arms and stared expectantly at him.

He took a deep breath to calm himself. “Let us review the facts. I just helped you. I happen to have the knowledge on how to exit this mansion. In addition to both of those things, I am outnumbered. If I were to theoretically bring you to my nonexistent lair, the five of you could easily defeat me.”

There was a tense silence.

The woman flicked opened her pocketknife and smiled at him. “Then lead the way, Lucas.”

He resisted the childish urge to stick his tongue out at her in a pathetic show of defiance; it wasn't like she would be able to see it behind his mask. As he hesitantly opened the door and peeked out into the hallway to check for any approaching monsters, he glanced over his shoulder at the woman. The smile remained as their eyes briefly met.

He exited into the hall. “It is alright to come out,” he informed them. Slowly, one by one, the five emerged from the room where they had been trapped.

“Could you please tell me your names?” he asked as he checked the next hallway. No one was there, and the six continued on. “I am interested in knowing.”

The woman scoffed. “Do you think we're stupid? You can track us down if we told you-”

He suddenly stopped. The five all collided and bumped into him in response, quickly regaining their balance after doing so. He turned around. “Look,” he said, lowering his voice, “I am not asking for much. I just want to know your names because that is the polite thing to ask. You do not even have to give me your full name. For all I care, you could tell me your childhood nickname. I just want something to call you by while I am trying to help you. Which, I might add, I do not even have to do.”

Somewhat reluctantly, introductions were given. Soon, only the woman had yet to put forth a name. When he gave her a pointed look, she glared at him. “My name is Liz,” she said through clenched teeth.

He turned his back to them and continued walking. He only did so for several more minutes until he found the blade of a silver scythe at his throat. A menacing creature formed solely of darkness stepped forth from the shadows, giving him a terrifying grin as the blade inched ever so closer to his neck.

He wanted to scream or run or hide or do something as he and the being of darkness stared at each other, but he was paralyzed with fear. The monsters he had met had looked at least slightly human, but only the outline of the thing before him looked remotely humanoid. “Let my prey go,” it hissed, its voice like needles on chalkboard.

Tears began to form at the corner of his eyes as his skin grew pale. He knew there was no reason for him to be afraid, but the sight of the monster horrified him. It couldn't kill him, but the presence of it was bad enough.

“Schadel,” Liz said, taking a step forward. The pocketknife was closed and returned to her pocket. “it's alright. Lucas is helping us escape. He's not going to harm us.”

“...Oh.” The voice suddenly became more feminine and younger, and its form condensed in a six foot tall human girl. The eyes remained the same color – strangely the color of polished silver – but they had a warmth in them that they had previously lacked. Standing before him, dressed as Sherlock Holmes, the girl didn't seem as terrifying as she had seemed moments before. She removed the scythe from his neck. “I'm sorry about scaring you. I thought you were going to harm my friend.”

“I thought she was your prey,” Lucas managed to get out.

The girl grinned at him. “I was only saying that so you would leave her alone.”

He hesitantly nodded.

The girl beckoned a group of people out from around the corner, and he saw himself looking at an odd assortment of individuals. There was two ghosts, a woman that was strangely an astral projection, and a werewolf that Lucas recognized all too well from his brief time in the mansion.

“Thomas,” he said in disbelief, “you are helping some of the prisoners?”
mage

queer and here.

"I feel like if men sent unsolicited dragon pics instead of *other* unsolicited pics they’d get a lot further in life"
— ShadowVyper