Reviews: 112
Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:22 pm
View Likes
passenger says...

The Boy Next Door

Dear Nick,

You destroyed my life--
almost literally.

Mid-June. It's been nearly a month since an unspeakable tragedy befell Lemming High School; a shooting and suicide committed by Nicholas Bell. Six students and two teachers were murdered. Ten more people were injured, three of whom were staff members. Bell's reasons for his act are unclear to some and obvious to few others. You are someone who has been affected by the shooting. Maybe you are a distant family member who attends one of the deceased student's funerals. You might be a detective who has taken part in investigating the case. There is a chance that you're one of Bell's close friends. You may have even been involved in the shooting itself.

Regardless of who you are, this tragedy has impacted you in one way or another--and you are ready to confess your thoughts about what really happened on the morning of May 15th.

Before he killed himself, Bell was enrolled at Lemming as a senior. He was co-captain of the soccer team, played drums in the school band, was smart as a whip, and was adored by many. From the outside, he was the Boy Next Door; popular and athletic; almost movie-typical.

But who was he really?

That's for you to know, and for me to find out.

This is an epistolary storybook and is to be written in second person only. You are writing in the form of letters. Who they are addressed to is your choice, as is the reason you are writing. You may be writing to release emotions pent up from baggage, to keep in touch, to convey a specific message, or for some other reason. You could be writing to other characters. You could be writing to your own mother.

Your choice.

Rules: The purpose of this storybook is to write about a past event (in this case, the shooting) or occurrences surrounding said event. You don't have to concentrate entirely on the shooting. But the idea is that eventually, we will be able piece together the characters' personal accounts of what happened, and build a story around the facts.

Again, keep in mind that you are mostly writing about past events. Therefore you will be developing your characters by describing previous interactions in your letters. The SB's progression will be largely based on your characters' thoughts and feelings regarding what's already occurred. Your characters already have history and complicated relationships with one another. It's up to you to determine those relationships via your character's narrative voice.

It's okay to write in the present. Just not too much. Remember that you are not writing in first person. You are writing someone a letter. Adapt your style accordingly.

Note: One letter per post. All of your letters do not have to be addressed to the same person.

Character Profile:

Code: Select all
[b]Full Name:[/b]

[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b]

Note2: Please include anything else you feel is necessary. I didn't include a few of the frequently-used CP attributes (history, for example) because I expect that you (as the creator of your character) will take care to develop those aspects in the construction of your posts. Direct characterization is great, but my hope is that this storybook takes a closer look at indirect characterization.

Most of all, just make sure to step into the shoes of your character and have fun. :)
"We accept the love we think we deserve." -Stephen Chbosky's Perks of Being a Wallflower

112 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:35 pm
View Likes
passenger says...

Dear Dana,

I know we haven't spoken in awhile, but after witnessing the tragedy that's encompassed our community for the past few weeks, I've realized how important it is that words aren't left unsaid.

I'm writing to you from the hospital. I'm here to visit a student of mine. I'm sure you and Kyle and our parents are wondering about my physical state. I can tell you that there's nothing to worry about. I am as healthy as I have ever been and frankly as I'll ever be.

I hope you're all doing well. You have no idea how much I hope and pray for you every night. Especially over the past month. There are evils in this world and I feel helpless knowing that the ones I love are vulnerable to those perils. I am a born educator and I love my job. You of all people know of my fascination with the human mind. I believe that there's so much that can be achieved based on mental capacity alone. But the mind is also a very dangerous tool.

Though my students are constantly claiming I'm "old-fashioned", I don't usually write letters. I'm writing to you because I feel that it's the only sure way of communicating without information getting lost in transit.

I've seen things, Dana. Things that will haunt me until I'm put to rest; things that Nick Bell and the other boys have done; things that my colleagues have done; things I could have stopped if I'd acted differently.

I fear it's almost too late to make any sense of this mystery, but I think that at the very least, I need to tell you what I've seen. To soothe my aching conscience, at least. Maybe you can tell me if any of it matters; if I should report it; if it's worth telling someone about. I have a college degree, but I was never taught how to handle this kind of emergency.

I don't think it's something you can really teach, anyway.

All I ask is for you to read what I've written, and for you to write back with your opinion. I know we aren't on good terms--not since the last time we spoke. But I believe in reconciliation and I think that a situation like this will put everything into perspective.

I'll be sure to write another letter soon. The doctor has just come out to tell me how my student is doing; I think I'm allowed in to see him now.

Stay safe.

Regards,
Alan
"We accept the love we think we deserve." -Stephen Chbosky's Perks of Being a Wallflower

112 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:51 pm
View Likes
passenger says...

Nick-

I used to hang out after lunch on the third floor, lurking in the halls until you bounded long-legged up the stairs and fooled with your locker combination. I used to hide behind my locker door, just to see the left side of your face as you gave your books a once-over. It was the first time I ever saw you tired. The first time I ever saw you remove your jacket like a lab coat, shaking out your wrists--the first time I ever saw you kiss someone--the first time you ever turned your head and looked at me.

There were a lot of firsts for both of us at that damned locker. Locker number fifty-two. It's where I learned how you leaned when you stood. Memorized how your elbows bent and shoulders shifted like a jigsaw against the wall, trying to find where the pieces fit. Your movements were always jarring, like the wrists of a putter, and your doe eyes never looked beyond your own nose if not to cast a jerking smirk in somebody's direction. I fell head over heels for that non-smile, and God. Even after everything that's happened, I think I still could.

To even speak those words aloud would alienate me, which is why writing them is much safer. Not to worry. I won't be stowing this in my underwear drawer as a keepsake. I've pledged to myself that when Mom gives the new buyers the tour next Thursday, she won't have to stop by my bedroom and say, "This is where my daughter keeps her therapy love-notes".

I keep telling myself I must be stupid to be writing this. You're dead. I don't know why I can't get that through my thick skull. I spent way too much time around you and your inflated ego, is what I think. This letter, like everything else, is your fault. Somehow I'm not surprised by that fact. You're like a plague; an illness that infects all who come near it. The symptoms are deceiving. They trick you into believing that you've been blessed. And then, just like that: snap. Your best friend's been shot in the Science wing.

Happens real fast, Nick. You'd know.

I started with the locker because I wanted to tell you how it ended up. You never got to see, not that you really deserved it. You died with your back to the blue metal, blood running purple over the slits at the top where I used to hastily stuff folded pieces of lined paper. I've been thinking about it for awhile now. The sight of you, with your back turned to where we began and looking at the last cork board you'd ever see. The funny thing is how hard I cry every time I think about it. That gun between both your hands like you couldn't quite hold onto it, and that lost-boy look in your eyes.

I'm thinking maybe I should start listening to Mom. She says I should never set foot in that school again. I'm thinking maybe she's right. I never thought I was one of those people who "got triggered" easily, but triggers are one of the things I can't stop thinking about. No matter how hard I try.

I don't know, Nicky. I don't care anymore. Sometimes I wish you killed me too.

But you know what they say. Triumph in the face of adversity.

I'll write again tomorrow.

Love,
Annie

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:27 pm
View Likes
Persistence says...

Dear Maisie,

I've been shot, so: no. I'm not okay. I wish I could see you, but this is probably safer for both of us. So, here's the rundown:

The bullet cut through my intestines and damaged my left kidney. Even though I've had time to recover, I am still in constant pain. Doctor Philips tells me I'm lucky to have been asleep the first three weeks. But I don't feel so lucky. I feel confused, unfocused, chaotic, and highly choleric: I yelled at the nurse for dropping my fork (and immediately apologized after). I tore the first version of this letter because of a spelling error. I bit my own tongue by accident because my mouth closed as a reflex to my gunshot pain. Being stuck in this bed is torture.

But it'll pass. Rob said he'd get me some meds to calm me down. His mother's a pharmacist, so he knows what he's doing. In the meantime, I'm not allowed to go out or talk to anyone from the media. The perks of being the chief's son.

I really wish you were here. But this is for the best. By the way, I never properly thanked you. You got in trouble for me. I never asked you to do that, but you did it anyway. So, thanks. If Jax finds out, I'll be keeping the bench warm for life.

…Not that I could be playing soccer any time soon. I won't even be able to walk for a while, given that I spontaneously bleed onto myself four times a day. It went clean through, or so they tell me. Now I have two holes inside me, but at least they didn't have to pull out any small fragments. Rob said it's a good thing, and his mom's a pharmacist, so he knows what he's talking about. Wait, I said this already. But I won't tear the letter this time. Nope. Fight the crankiness.

Sorry that you're still grounded. But even after you get your phone back, it's probably not a good idea to text me or call me or anything like that. Letters are safer, for now. Just give it to Rob and he'll bring it over to me.

I still have no idea what happened. I remember Nick saying something, but I don't remember what it was. He seemed normal, or maybe that's because I didn't look for anything out of the ordinary. But after that it's a blank. They say he shot up the school, but I don't remember. They say it's shock, and that it'll come back to me as time goes on. Not sure if I'll like knowing, but one thing's for certain: I want to find out. I'll write you again when I know more.

Yours truly,
Brad Fletcher

Spoiler! :
Let me know if it's too short or if there's anything I need to change.

@Sevro I hope the name is okay. If you had another in mind, I'll change it. Anna is the first that came to mind. Edit: changed Anna to Maisie because there already was an Anna.
Deep thoughts remind me of unfinished

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:07 am
View Likes
Sevro says...

Hey Brad-

It really sucks that we can't just text. I feel unbelievably old using a pen and paper outside of school. I almost tried to draw an emoji after that sentence but we both know how great I am at art. Still failing, in case you were wondering.

I'm not about to lie to you. I know that I haven't visited yet, and I feel selfish as hell. I just can't make myself walk into that hospital. It's not about the blood or the pain. It just feels so wrong seeing someone you know inside every one in three rooms that you walk past. I know I wouldn't be able to take it, seeing Ms. Kelley hooked up to a machine, or Dave lying unconscious like that. I know it would make me want to walk into each and every room, greeting my dying friends, and I know I wouldn't be able to do that, either, and I know that would make me feel a hundred times worse than I already do. Because I feel terrible about what happened. And I can't afford to show that. I have to put on my game face. The team needs their captain. But I'll try to drop in soon, I promise.

You'd probably hit me if I asked you how you're feeling, but how are you feeling? Are you gonna be out for the season? Because, no pressure, but that would suck. I know I must sound pretty conceited, repeating this over and over, but I don't know how I'm gonna do it. Being the only captain? Should I just do a single file line for running? Because I don't know who's gonna lead the second line if I keep it like it always was. It'll never be like it always was because everything that made the "always was" good, is gone.

They're having a memorial service on top of the hill by the tree on Wednesday after school. I hope they let you out of the hospital so you can come. Or maybe I hope they don't. We all might be better off missing this one. Don't they know they're having a service too soon? I don't know about you, but I'm still not sure whether I should honor him, or spit on his very memory for what he did. God, change the subject, man.

-Jax
"They think I'm still a child. The fools. Alexander was a child when he ruined his first nation."
—Darrow from the Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown<3

Spoiler! :
Formerly olsene and Caterpickle

107 Reviews

Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:40 pm
View Likes
Persistence says...

Hi Jax.

You know you're only failing because you pissed Mrs Stevens off. Maybe if you apologised for last year, she'd cut you some slack?

Well I'm not dying. Some people are just hard to get rid of, am I right?

But I understand. I'm right here in the hospital and I still haven't gone to see the others. There's this feeling I get, like if I go and see them, everything will suddenly become real. This way I feel like I just have some kind of infection, or some extreme version of the flu, and everything will be great once I'm allowed to go home. This quarantine is helping me just as much as it's killing me.

Your neighbor Rob Stark visits me pretty often. He wheels me around the hospital, and yesterday we passed Ms. Kelley's room. We were laughing about something - I think it was this sign on the vending machine that read: "This machine takes your money and gives you nothing in return, just like my ex." - when we saw her door was open. She was lying there, unconscious, her eyes closed, her glossy brown hair spread over the pillow. There was a white tube sticking out of her mouth, and even though she didn't appear to be breathing, we could hear the beeping of the heart monitor from the inside. After that he just wheeled me back. We didn't talk at all the entire way, but I could tell we were thinking the same thing: it could have been any one of us lying there in her place.

I won't be able to walk for a while, so I'm pretty sure I'm out for the season. Not that it would make any difference to the team. We both know I'm only on it because you stuck up for me.

But you - you're on it because you're good. You're more than good: you're the best we've got. And I know it seems like a huge responsibility, but you can do it. I know it. The team knows it. And you do too. That being said, you might want to try out the new guy, Rodger, for free kicks. I know he's a CB, but his left foot is something else.

A memorial!? Are you fucking kidding me? Is he a fucking hero now or something? Hell, I should be a school shooter.

What was even going through his mind? I wonder that all the time. Why did he do it? He looked like a happy kid. He had it all: the brains, the charms, the looks. All the girls have chased after him at some point. His family was intact. He got along with his parents. He had a lot of friends and everybody loved him. What could cause a person to snap like that?

Don't tell anyone, Jax, but Rob's coming over in about an hour. There's this exit no one covers that we discovered on one of our strolls. I'll convince him to roll me out. Then I'm going back to my place so I can sift through my dad's laptop. I know his password and his police system account. I tried getting in this one time for fun, and there are infinite attempts allowed, so I was able to guess it after about a hundred tries.

I need to know what happened. I need to understand. I'll tell you more when I know more.

In the meantime, how are things for you? How's Maisie? Is she still grounded or what?

Brad Fletcher

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:17 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

Hey Lo,

By now I expect you've heard the news. Local teen missing, her BMW abandoned near the woods outside of town. By now the cops have probably talked to all my "known associates" to see if they know what happened to me. But they'd never suspect you, the perfect popular cheerleader, to be friends with this bad girl, which is why I'm writing you and not anyone else.

You see, Lo, a few months ago I got a message from the first boy I ever loved. It broke my little middle-school heart moving away from him, but my dad got that awesome job here and I didn't exactly have a choice in the matter. Anyway, we started talking, and we were planning to get together after graduation. We were going to take a road trip all across the country, just the two of us. But it didn't work out that way.

You remember that shooting that happened a month ago in Lemming? My old stomping ground? Well that was him. They say he killed those people and shot himself. But he wouldn't do that. Not my Nicky. I've heard they're having a memorial service. I had to go, to mourn him, maybe tell the cops the truth about who he is. But I knew my parents wouldn't get it, so I left. Grant crashed the car for me to throw the cops off and I took a Greyhound bus back home. I have some cash from my dad's wallet so I should be okay for a while.

Don't bother calling or texting me because I left my phone at my parent's house. It might be stupid for me to write this, but I didn't want the gang to worry. You can tell them I'm safe, but please don't tell them anything else. The fewer people who know, the better. In fact, you should burn this letter after you've read it so no one else can get their hands on it. Thanks in advance for being cool about this. I owe you one.

Hailey
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

112 Reviews

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:57 pm
View Likes
passenger says...

Dear Dana,

If there's one thing I've learned from having adjacent classrooms with Guinevere Redding, it's that every story must have a beginning. (Of course, overhearing AP English lectures during my lunch break may also be the only reason my letters are at all coherent.) You haven't had the pleasure of meeting Nicholas Bell, and you most definitely haven't encountered the obstacle of teaching him Physics, so I suppose I should backtrack to September.

I'll tell you about the day I met him. Granted, I'm old and have worked at Lemming for six years. I had heard the names of outstanding students mentioned in whispers in the teacher's lounge. But the only thing I had heard about Nick before he first set foot in my classroom was his tendency to "tie himself into knots", as expressed by a sorrowful Beth Kelley, and moreso, about his ability to untie them. That was something I hadn't heard about a student before. It sparked my curiosity, but by the time I had him in class two years later, I forgot about it.

It was the first day of the school year. The students were settling in after the bell. Twenty-seven of them whose names I couldn't yet pair with their faces. They were all claiming desks and rushing to arrange themselves in groups--whatever trivial things high school kids liked to busy themselves with. I wrote "Mr. Hoerz" and my email on the white board.

As I expected, a boy sitting near the window barked a laugh and yelled, "Look, it's Mr. Whores!" A few of the girls towards the front erupted in vicarious laughter.

By then, I'd learned to just bite my tongue and wait until their own jokes failed to amuse them. But as I turned to face the class, the strangest thing happened. A boy in a red Star Trek T-shirt turned his head to meet the eye of the boy by the window. "It's Hoerz," he corrected bluntly, "like the unit for frequency." The he leaned back in his seat, rolling his eyes. "Jackass," he muttered under his breath.

The first boy said nothing, and after that, the only laughter in the room was coming from the red-shirted boy's friends.

In terms of the social hierarchy, this had been confusing to me. The ones to speak out were never popular.

I asked him what his name was.

"Nick," he told me.

"Well, thank you for clearing that up, Nick," I had said. "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too, Mr. Hoerz."

I taught the class about vectors and scalars on the first day, because it was good to jump right into things. Nick didn't hurry to answer any questions. In fact, his hand didn't go up once. But I could see the wheels turning behind his blue eyes. I could see him thinking, and not in the usual lackadaisical way that students went about thinking. There was a war inside of his head.

Don't ask me how I knew this. I'd become accustomed to reading the minds of those I teach. Figuratively, anyway. I had developed an eye for mental struggle, and Nick's was obvious.

He was a nice kid. Especially at the beginning of the year. He always did his work. He had theories. Some of them were stupid, but many of them weren't. He grappled for knowledge. He focused. He did well.

At first, that is.

Nothing ever lasts, but somewhere along the line I'd developed a vision of Nick Bell going to a well-reputed college and pursuing a science degree. I invested in him. When I told you it was a pleasure to be acquainted with Mr. Bell, I was not lying.

But something happened. A series of events I'm still trying to configure. Something that changed him.

It's hard for me to talk about this, Dana. Knowing that he's dead. Knowing that he took the path he did. It's mind-boggling, and yet I still think that it might be my fault. I can't sleep at night. Gladys makes me breakfast at seven in the morning and tries to assure me that I couldn't have done anything more to help him.

But I have a hard time telling her the story I'm trying to tell you. I think I fear that she will confirm my inkling to blame myself.

Despite this, I want you to be honest with me. You and Gladys had a falling out, which, of course, I'm aware of. It's likely that I'm not supposed to tell you this, but she's very remorseful about how she acted towards Darius at Christmas. He's your son and she shouldn't have snapped at him like that.

You'd tell me to just talk to Gladys about my problems instead of bothering you, but there're certain things a man can't confront his wife about. You're my sister. You're the only one I trust with my witness account of such a tragedy.

I have so much to write about, but my energy is waning. I think I'll go to sleep; tomorrow is Monday, and they're re-opening school for the first time since the shooting. There will be students that will seek my help; students that need guidance and ways in which to cope with their losses. I don't know how I'm going to help them, seeing that I haven't quite finished coping myself.

I forgot to tell you, but I did end up checking on my student at the hospital. His name's Brad. He's a good kid. He was shot in the stomach, but he's been patched up. He told me he's feeling better, but that he doesn't remember much about what happened.

It's probably better that way. Less confusing, at the very least, and sometimes confusion can be the one criteria that sends a person over the edge.

I gave Brad a "Get Well" card. On the inside, I inscribed the joke I told you in the hospital the day before Laila died. If you recall it. I figured it was appropriate. I hope it cheers him up.

Regards,
Alan
Last edited by passenger on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

112 Reviews

Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:03 pm
View Likes
passenger says...

Nick-

It's been two days since I've written, not that it really matters. I don't care much about being punctual, reason one being that you never will end up reading these, and reason two being that I don't care much about anything anymore.

I used to take pleasure in a lot of things. Abstract artwork, the way your coffee tasted on that December morning, getting letters in the mail, your smile. But the euphoria started to fade once I could no longer remember what those things were supposed to feel like. Once I realized that all I had been doing for the past few weeks is waiting for time to rewind itself in a confused muddle so I could see and feel everything how I used to.

Ridiculous.

I've figured something out, sitting here in my room. And that's that when someone you love dies, a huge part of you dies with them. Seems cliché, but Mom won't stop reminding me how different I am now. She supports it, insisting that the way to overcome hardship is to reinvent yourself. I don't understand how she knows so much. It's hard to believe her. I wish I could. I told her I'll try to find new things that make me happy, but with you gone forever, happiness just seems impossible.

They're having your memorial service on Wednesday. It's Sunday today, so school starts again tomorrow. I don't know which thing I'm more afraid of. I can hardly stomach the thought of walking through the halls without your scratchy jacket around my shoulders like a parasol to protect me from the insolent stares, and most of all from you. Because honestly, Nicky, I'm most afraid of you. I'm afraid of seeing you everywhere. I'm afraid of not seeing you anywhere.

I must sound insane. I just can't do it without you, don't you understand that? I thought I could. My arrogance was as impenetrable as a statuary, and I guess that's why I broke us up. You gave me a chance to keep us together for longer than the two weeks we'd been going. You only gave me one condition. One petty condition: to never talk to or about Jaxon Perry again. But I was sour towards you; I saw that pent-up expression of stifled fury crinkling in your chin, and loathed myself for creating it. I'd been watching and longing for you for so long. I finally had you, and I feared what would happen to us. My hands shook with anticipation, and there were no labels to distinguish the harmless triggers from those that would merely irk you.

I hope that's not why you killed yourself, Nick.

I really hope it's not.

I think about the shooting all the time. I can't stop. About how you shot Brad Fletcher in the library; how blood bubbled up in his mouth and he stumbled to the carpet. It was an awry shot, like the bullet didn't quite hit its target.

You were trying to hit someone behind him, weren't you? Jax was standing behind him, wasn't he?

You wanted Jaxon Perry dead, didn't you?

Mom says I should rest. I don't have any trouble believing her on that. I guess I'll try to write hello when I wake up.

Love,
Annie
Last edited by passenger on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:08 pm
View Likes
Sevro says...

Chad-

It's gonna take you a while to understand this, partly due to our method of correspondence. But if you say this is the safest way for both of us, I'll trust you on that. After all, it's definitely not a good idea for either of us to be taking any chances right now. But, mostly, you won't understand because, to you, what you did was just a normal business transaction. A day in the life. You've probably done that a thousand times, so why should the repercussions or results of this one be any different?

Because you knew what would happen and you sold him the gun anyway.

We've both been there for each other on numerous occasions. I have your back, you have mine. We're both dangling each other's secrets over the public, waiting for the other to make a wrong move, scissors ready to cut the thin thread holding the secrets back from the wave of people, police, and punishments. It was never a friendship, this thing between us. I think we were both fine with the mutual relationship being nothing more and nothing less than just that: a mutual need for each other. And I would still be fine with that. There's just one problem.

You've made a wrong move.

-Jaxon Perry
"They think I'm still a child. The fools. Alexander was a child when he ruined his first nation."
—Darrow from the Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown<3

Spoiler! :
Formerly olsene and Caterpickle

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:17 am
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

Nick,

The house echoes with you gone. I’ve been camping it out at Jax’s place for almost a month now, but last night when I snuck home to grab a clean sweater the walls swayed and twisted with shadows again. I swore one of those shadows was you… but how could it be? You’re dead.

You’re fucking dead, and I fucking hate your guts.

Mom and Dad don’t talk to each other anymore. They scream. Loudly. You’ve made me invisible to them, an inaudible whisper in the corner, and I’m starting to wonder which son died in that shooting, you or me?

Anyway, I walked out from under that haunted roof soon after Dad hit Mom hard across the cheek. It was the first silence we’d had since the drive home from the police station that day, and tears painted an expression on Mom’s face that she’d never worn before. It was really scary… You would’ve thought the same. Was this violence between them always here, lurking behind the image of a perfect family? You would probably know, being their ‘golden boy’ buffer.

But now you’re just the boy who murdered eight people before polishing himself off -- the mystery on everyone’s minds. I was one of the closest people in your life. We did so much together. I looked up to you as a god.

I was your little brother, for fuck’s sake.

Why? Why did you do it? How could you abandon me like that? Didn’t my face linger in the back of your eyes as you held the trigger? I’m sick of asking myself these pathetic questions.

Jax’s folks haven’t kicked me out yet; it’s amazing what sympathy will get you. His sister, Maisie, has cried more for you than I have. I forgot that she’s the same age as me… We used to hang out all the time when you’d have soccer matches, before we were old enough to avoid our parents dragging us along. She keeps staring at me around the house, but I don’t think she’s uttered a word yet. What could she possibly say?

This is so stupid -- the shooting, me writing to you, all of it. You assumed that you’d disappear from this world after you stopped breathing, but the past lives on forever in the hearts of others; the only difference is whether those hearts are scarred or healed by the memory of you.

Speaking of memories, your memorial is coming up on Wednesday. It’s at school, so I’m hesitant about attending. I’m worried that I’ll break down in front of the other students and start yelling nonsense. So far I’ve kept the full extent of this behind closed doors, but I can’t guarantee what I’ll do Wednesday.

Actually, I can’t guarantee
anything for my future anymore.

I was writing my name on a School Transfer/Dropout Form this morning, and it brought me back to the time I asked Mom about my name in the kitchen: “Nick suggested your name after you were born, and it just stuck.”

Well guess what? A little education taught me that my name has the word ‘scar’ in it. Fate must be playing cruel tricks on me, and you must be in on it.

Although I despise the very mention of you, I miss you like a second half. After all, people used to ask if we were twins, despite the two-year age gap. These letters are the only existing part of you I have left… so don’t mock me with any ‘Dear Diary’ crap. I need this for my sanity, after the shit you pulled.

If only you could reply.

Your bro,
Oscar

107 Reviews

Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:03 pm
View Likes
Persistence says...

Hey Maisie.

I wrote you a letter already but Rob couldn't find a way to give it to you, so he brought it back, and now I'm writing this to encompass everything.

First of all, I miss you so much. Yesterday I wanted to just wheel myself out and all the way to your place. I didn't care about being caught, about getting lost or about getting hit by a car along the way. And I probably should have cared, because I got caught. It was past visiting hours and there was nobody to blend in with, so the nurse was quick to notice and scold me. Luckily she said she wouldn't tell anyone. I just really miss you.

People change. Sometimes for the halo, sometimes for the horns. Everybody changes. And so have I.

Four days ago Rob brought me some Adderall. Don't worry, I didn't take much. It just helped me focus a bit. I needed to think. I needed to do something. I was more sick of this hospital bed than I was of my wounds. So I took a pill or two.

Anyway, I told him if he wheeled me out for some air, I'd give him my Xbox. He was pretty quick to agree, the greedy bastard. So I told him I wanted ice cream, and I convinced him to roll me to the parking lot where the ice-cream truck usually parks. Then I said I'd scream kidnapping if he didn't get me into his car and back to my place.

He almost turned back a couple times, but I assured him my parents wouldn't be at home. I know them; they wouldn't sit in an enpty house. They bury themselves in work when things get rough.

The neighbor from across the street saw me, but he and my dad don't speak, so I doubt he'll be telling him anything.

I got in and told Rob to help himself to my Xbox. Hey, I'm a man of my word, okay?

I grabbed a soda from the fridge and I went to my dad's computer. Password was "DetectiveFletcher70", from way back when he wasn't Chief.

I got into the case file and printed it out and put new paper in the printer. I realized they'd notice the missing soda, so I put the half-empty can back in the fridge. They'll just think it was left that way from before. Rob had unplugged the Xbox, so we drove back to the hospital. It all seems so trivial now, having possessions. Of what use is attaching yourself to an object when it can be easily broken or just traded for the service of those who don't see how trivial attachments to objects are? If I had died, people would miss me, or be affected by it in some way. But it would all be the same to an Xbox, whether I'm playing on it or Rob.

We went back to the hospital, and just in time too: Mr Hoerz came to visit me ten minutes after I'd settled back in my bed and made my would bleed again by stretching a bit too far to climb on.

He gave me a get-well card with the lamest joke ever: "what did the vegetables say at the party? Lettuce turnip the beet!" But I still laughed.

When Mr Hoerz left, I noticed that Rob had disappeared somewhere without a trace. So I took the case file and I started reading.

Ballistics indicates that the gun was an unregistered firearm with the serial numbers scraped off. But the bullets were easily IDed. The weird part was that they belong to the PD. They should have been in the armory, but they must have been stolen. Thing is only officers have access to the armory, and only a few of them have keys. It's still unknown how Nick got a hold of them.

Then there's this other thing. There were several shots fired in my direction, but only one hit me. Either I'm incredibly lucky he missed at such close range, or he was aiming at someone else. It says I had shielded an unknown individual who must have been behind me when it happened. They were likely ducking, based on bullet holes that would otherwise have hit them, so if it wasn't for my stomach, they could have been shot someplace worse.

The rest was details we already know from the media. But it also said they had a person of interest whose name was yet to be revealed. It said it was about the gun.

That's pretty much it. I nearly died because poor golden Nicky couldn't get a clear shot. If he was alive I would punch him. I'm running on one kidney, and I'm unable to run or even walk. And for what?

It's just all so pointless. He did what he did and the Sun still came up the next day. If I'd died, the Sun would still come up. If none of this had happened, it would be no different in the grand scheme of things. So, what the fuck did he think he would accomplish?

I just want to heal. But emotional or physical, this wound will leave a scar.

But how are you, Maisie? Are you feeling any better? I hear school's started again. How are you holding up? Are you going to his memorial? If your parents let you go there, and not to the hospital to visit me, that would probably hurt more than being shot. Not even exaggerating.

I really miss you,

Brad

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
— William Shakespeare