z

Young Writers Society

The War of the Ages

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Amabilia says...

In this roman spin on Percy Jackson, you and your friends will travel to Mount Olympus to meet your parents, and possibly your death. The three-headed beast, Cerberus, is guarding the entrance to Olympus. Nobody goes in... or out. Who has imprisoned the gods and why? Will this lead to another war of the gods?

Story of the gods: This is where the most difference is in the stories. Yes, there are gods in charge of certain things, but Jupiter(Zeus) is not the lord of the gods. The lord of gods is the christian God. He can control everything, but chose to give some responsibilities to The Ones Who Came Before. The gods. The gods used to live on earth, but a war broke out and God banished them to the sky and created mortals to teach the responsibilities and compassion.

Character code thingy:
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Sexuality:[/b]
[b]Up for romance?[/b]
[b]Weapon:[/b]
[b]Shield?[/b]
[b]Flaws:[/b]
[b]Magic?(Only applies to half-bloods)[/b]
[b]Strengths:[/b]
[b]Demigod?[/b]
[b]If yes, Parent?[/b]
[b]Background:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]

Rules:
1. No dirty scenes please, keep it PG.
2. Swearing IS allowed, but not extreme amounts.
3. No killing off characters without the creator's permission.
4. Try to portray the other characters as best you can.
5. Be polite to the other SB members.
6. It should mainly use Roman mythology, unless there's a god or creature in Greece that doesn't have an equivalent in Rome.

I hope you join! :D

43 Reviews

Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:38 pm
Amabilia says...

Eurek

The night was bone cold and Eurek looked around at her friends. They were all peacefully asleep. The night was calm and the campsite they were at was quiet except for a dull flashlight bobbing around. The flashlight got closer as Eurek drifted into a soft sleep. The light slowly crept closer until it seemed as if it was in the small tent. Wait, it is in the tent Eurek bolted upright. The light stretched into a human form, then it dimmed, but there was still a glow coming off of the character.
"I am Mercury, messenger of the gods. I have come with a message for you, Eurek Smith," Mercury said. He was a strong looking form with sandy blond hair and blue eyes. What stood out more than his glow was the two snakes wrapping around his staff. Eurek recoiled at the loathsome creatures.

Ug! There goes another one afraid of your ugly face, brother!

Don't blame me! Mercury's the one that just appeared in this kid's tent in the middle of the night!

"That's enough!" Mercury rolled his eyes.
"Wait, a-are the snakes talking... in my, ah... head?" Eurek stammered out.
"Yes, but that is not what I've come to discuss. Olympus is in trouble. No one can leave. I am merely an image. Cerberus is keeping us from leaving. We need you, young hero, to find who this mysterious foe is," Mercury told him, "Of course with the help of your friends, human or not."
"Wait, talking snakes, Olympus, Cerberus, human or not? You're mad!" Eurek exclaimed.
"If this is a lie how did I come to be in your tent?"
Eurek had no answer for that. The image began to fade.
"Ask Aedolas. He will explain everything." Then Mercury and his snakes were gone.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:33 pm
Rydia says...

Aedolas

Even as the dream was snatched out of the tendrils of Aedolas' brain and he bolted upright in his sleeping bag, he couldn't help feeling that there had been something very lucid about it. Something real, almost too real.

"Ed!" Eurek shouted again as the startling green eyes bored into him in the near light.

"Geez, keep it down or you'll wake all the neighbourhood - of like cows and sheep and things," Aedolas murmured, still sleepy.

"But there was someone in my tent," Eurek protested, though this time in a much quieter voice which was somehow no less urgent.

Aedolas raised a brow and thought about that for a moment before his face fell into a playful grin. "Was it Weeeesley?" But as much fun as it was to tease the younger boy, Ed knew there was something wrong there. One of the girls, perhaps? But no, that wasn't right either and something about his half remembered dream niggled at him.

"No- what? Ed, I'm serious, it was this creepy guy called Mercury with two snakes that uh... that talked..." Eurek's voice trailed off as the panic in his eyes subsided to frustration, as if he didn't know whether he even believed himself and certainly didn't expect Aedolas to. But the older boy was suddenly silent and solemn.

"Damn," Aedolas breathed. "What does Mercury want with us?"

There was suddenly a chill in the tent and Aedolas pulled the sleeping bag tighter against his bare midriff. He knew all about the messenger of the gods, of course. He'd read every book on every aspect of the Roman deities, so hungry was he for knowledge of his ancestry. He knew about Eurek too, without meaning to, just when they first met and without the other boy ever admitting anything, Aedolas had known he was Vulcan's son. It was the same way he knew Wesley was a demi God, though by which God escaped him, but it was why Aedolas had attached himself to the two foster boys.

Wesley appeared in the opening of the tent now and silently crawled through.

"What, you know that mad-man?" Eurek asked.

"Not exactly, but I suppose he's kind of a family friend. To all our families," Aedolas explained. "He's the messenger of the Gods and for them to send him to us, something must be really wrong at Olympus."

Eurek looked confused while Wesley looked interested, almost hungrily so, which sort of mirrored the little thrill running through Ed's own body. They needed him. This was how it started - how he got to be more than he was.

"You're mad too," Eurek decided and Aedolas finally realised what the problem was: Eurek didn't know.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

43 Reviews

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:40 pm
View Likes
Amabilia says...

Eurek

"Eurek! Listen to me!" Aedolas was running after him in the woods. After Eurek decided Aedolas was insane, he had run off.
"Eurek!" Aedolas called again. A moment later a scream rippled through the forest. It was followed by demonic snarls.
"A Hell-Hound," Aedolas gasped. He ran as fast as he could, darting under low branches and hopping over roots in the dense forest. Aedolas ran until he tumble into someone.
"Aedolas! Get away from me!" Eurek shrieked as he untangled himself. Aedolas jumped up and summonded his shield. He ran towards the Hell-Hound and smashed into it with his shield. There wasn't much impact, but Aedolas kept it engaged.
"Eurek! Run! Find Beth and Wesley and run!"
But Eruek didn't run. He was still laying on the ground, in shock.
"What the hell is that?" He screamed when he found his voice.
"A Hell Hound! Get out of here!" Aedolas responded, exausted.
A call echoed through the forest, "Eurek? Where are you? Me and Wesley are looking for you!" Beth called out.
"Run!" Aedolas repeated as Beth and Wesley came into the clearing. The Hell-Hound stopped and oooked straight at Beth, sensing she was different. Eurek realized what was about to happen.
"No," he whispered. The Hell-Hound lunged at Beth, pinning her to the ground. Beth screamed as Eurek stood up and screamed, "Get away from my sister!"
The ground rumbled. The air got stangely warm. There was no sound except Beth's wails.
The ground cracked next to Wesley as he ran away. The crack went right up to the Hell-Hound. A burst of lava shot through the ground and hit the monster. With a howl, the Hell-Hound desintigrated, leaving dust all over Beth and the ground around her.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:26 pm
Rydia says...

Aedolas

The hell hound snarled and gnashed its teeth as it pushed against Aedolas' shield and he felt his feet slide back in the dry mud.

"Run!" Aedolas repeated, his head turned over his shoulder just enough to see Beth and Wesley enter the clearing and still Eurek lay sprawled on the ground.

Perhaps if he'd given the hell hound his whole attention, perhaps if he hadn't turned his head then he would't have allowed it to push past him and - before he could stop it - lunge at Beth and force her to the ground.

Aedolas ran forward - Beth cried - the hell hound snarled - and all of a sudden, the air got really warm. Ed flinched away from the hell hound's flank just in time to miss the rush of lava that turned it into an ashen layer of dust over Beth's shaking form.

"Woah, so cool, but what the hell was that?" Wesley demanded.

"I- I think it was me." Eurek looked as startled as the rest of them as he stretched a hand out to his sister to help her up.

"Come on, we've got to get moving," Aedolas realised. "If they sent one then they know where we are so we've got to get somewhere else and fast and work out our next move."

"What are you talking about?" Eurek asked. "Who are they and what next move?"

"We need to know everything Mercury told you," Aedolas said as he started leading the way back through the trees and back to their camp. "We'll go to my dad's, they probably know about your place and besides, I've got books at mine - and dad. He might have a few ideas of how we get to wherever it is we're going."

"I still think you're crazy," Eurek said.

"But preferable to the hell hound?"

"Good point."

"I don't know, I kind of liked him," Wes claimed with a quick grin.

Beside Eurek, Beth shuddered and clung closer to him. "Let's not joke about it," she whispered.

The group made the rest of the walk in silence and packed up their camp quickly, if somewhat inefficiently. Aedolas had put his shield away but stood at the ready at all times, his eyes always looking the wrong way as he hurriedly folded the tent canvas and crammed everything into his backpack.

"So you're good with coming to mine?" Aedolas asked once they were finally done.

"Lead the way," Eurek agreed.
Writing Gooder

43 Reviews

Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:01 am
View Likes
Amabilia says...

Eurek Smith

"So what's going on?" Eurek asked for the fifth time.

Aedolas sighed and said, "I can't tell you everything, but if I tell you a little part of it, will you stop asking?"

Eurek thought about it then answered, "I guess so."

"Good," Aedolas replied, "You can't run away this time." He looked pointedly at Eurek who slightly nodded. "Okay. So I think we've established that roman gods are real, right?" Eurek nodded again. "So are monsters."

Eurek winced, but kept silent.

"That thing back there, a hell-hound, was a monster. But there a worse ones. There are giants, cyclopes, harpies, and many more. But the christian God is real, too. You know how Jupiter is seen as the king of the gods? He’s not. He’s more of an assistant.” Thunder ripped across the bright sky and Aedolas chuckled. “He doesn’t like his position to be underestimated.” he explained.

“What else should I know?” Eurek looked at Wes, who looked like he was living off this information, and Beth, his ever graceful sister, who was in the middle of face planting from tripping. He helped her up and held her stable as they walked.

“Well... there’s these kids called demigods. They’re the kids of some of the gods and humans. Some are supposed to have... special powers.” Aedolas glanced at Eurek then continued, “I’m the kid of Veritas, Goddess of Truth.”

“Dang. This is crazy,” Eurek was shaking his head.

“This. Is. Awesome!” Wes screamed.

“Shh! There might be more monsters!”

Beth finally spoke up, “Who do you think their parents are?”

“Eurek, I think you might be Vulcan’s son. I’ve heard rumors that some of them can control fire. Wes, have you noticed anything strange ever going on?”

“I don’t know,” he thought for a while, “Sometimes when I get mad at people they start running away. I never really believed I was that scary.”

“Terror... Terror... Sounds like Metus is your dad,” Aedolas said.
“What about Beth?” Wes asked and Eurek mentally slapped him.

“I knew both my parents,” she whispered.

“Oh.”

The rest of the journey was silent.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:09 pm
Rydia says...

Aedolas

There were some things Aedolas knew to be true and he didn't know how he knew them, only that he did. He'd thought for the longest time that his mother gave these truths to him, since he knew she was Veritas, Goddess of Truth, but he didn't know that she did. There was still the possibility that knowing things was a trickle of power from his God side and until he knew for certain, Ed felt he had to be careful with the truths he shared.

Fortunately, there was a lot of information he'd also pulled from reading books about the Roman Gods and since that was open knowledge which anyone could gather, he didn't see any danger in answering Eurek's questions. It felt really good to finally be able to tell him things and to have other people to share his amazing secret with. Of course, they were going to need time to process this colossal change to their world so when they stopped asking questions, Aedolas left them to their thoughts.

"Well this is home," Ed announced after a long stretch of silence. They had walked a long way through the woods to reach the small cottage and for the last few miles they'd passed well tended vegetable patches and home-built paddocks where animals grazed contentedly. The cottage was actually a very small one, far more so than the wealth of its surrounding lands would suggest but that was because Ed's dad gave much of the produce from their animals and gardens away to people in the town who needed it more. A large pile of wood was stacked against the side of the cottage and Aedolas gathered a few logs before leading the way in.

The room they entered was a living room, sparsely decorated but cheerful with a two seater and two armchairs sitting before a flickering log fire and a small, wooden table between them. There was a parcel on the table and an open book and Ed glanced at both objects curiously as he went to add another log to the fire.

"Dad? Dad, I've brought Eurek, Wes and Beth back with me. We were attacked by a hell hound today." Ed had always talked openly with his dad about what he knew, just as his dad had been open with him about his origins but he could tell by the shocked expression on Eurek's face that this wasn't a normal way to start a conversation. Or not for anyone else anyway.

Ed's dad came down a wooden staircase and into the room. He was a short man with longish grey hair and a matching beard and he walked with a slight limp but carried no cane to aid him.

"They'll stay for lunch?" Mr. Nomina asked. Ed nodded, his stomach grumbling in agreement as he realised the hell hound's attack had caused them to miss breakfast and their long walk had taken them into the early afternoon. Mr. Nomina turned and headed through an open door - which was actually a doorway with no door fitted since Ed's dad believed the only doors one needed in a house were to keep the wind out - and he passed into the adjoining kitchen. "Parcel arrived for you this morning. Reckon it's from your mother."

And Aedolas knew that he was right and in fact that his mother had left it in the care of the ever meticulous village clerk some seven years ago with instructions to deliver it on this exact day. Aedolas sat down in one of the arm chairs and gestured that the others should do the same.

"I don't think your dad heard you," Wes said with a snort of laughter as he threw himself into the other arm-chair. Eurek and Beth sat on the sofa and Aedolas caught the first aid kit as his dad threw it from the entrance to the kitchen.

"He heard," Ed said simply. He took out some cloth and the cleaning solution and handed both to Beth so she could clean the ash off her face and arms and sterilize the small scratches she had from the hell hound knocking her down.

"Does, uh- does your mother send you parcels often?" Eurek asked cautiously. Ed was avoiding looking at the parcel. He didn't know why. Maybe it was because whenever he thought of his mother or sister, he was filled with a sense of pride but also a growing fury of unfairness. It made him feel guilty. But why couldn't he meet his mother in person, why didn't she ever show herself to him?

"Only twice before. Time for the Gods... it's so vast. Fifteen years isn't really anything for them..." That was what Ed always tried to tell himself but it didn't make it any easier. Then the truth hit him and Ed let out a soft sigh as he realised why he didn't want to look at the parcel. It wasn't even for him...

"One of you should open it. The items in there aren't for me. I've already got my shield."
Writing Gooder

Who knows anything about anyone, let alone themselves.
— Hank Green