sheysse says...

Storyline

The leader of Thunderclan has received the prophecy:
It’s been two moons since the last Skyclan blood was spilled
But evil is growing
With intent to kill
Find the ______ cats who shall fight for them all
Or else the clans surely will fall

Thus, he has his eyes open to find the cats prophesized.
Setting

The story takes place in Thunderclan territory, by the lake, many moons after the series we have read. No cat from those series is alive.

Rules For Joining Storybook and Creating Your Character

1. You must have read at least one of the first four series (The Original Series, A New Prophecy, The Power of Three, or Omen of the Stars) so that you know enough about WARRIORS and common clan life. If you don’t meet this criteria but have your heart set on joining, PM me and I’ll probably let you join. But you have to PM me.
2. You must be active. The story can’t continue with a missing character.
3. Your character will be in Thunderclan. They will also be prophesized.
4. After everyone has made a character, I will release the allegiances. If you want to mention other characters, use characters in the allegiance. PM me if you want to add a character.
5. I will be posting from the leader’s point of view.
6. The following roles will have only one character-
-Medicine cat
-Deputy
-Medicine cat Apprentice
PM me if you want your character to fulfill one of these roles. The roles are first come, first serve, so PM me ASAP if you want one.
7. One character per person.
8. Apprentices’ names must end with “paw.” Kits’ names must end with “kit.” If you make your character an apprentice, they will have a mentor. And they will eventually get a Warrior name. If your character is a kit, they will have a mother. And they will be made an apprentice eventually.
9. If someone incorrectly portrays your character in their post, PM then asking to have it changed.
10. If you get a PM requesting change, you must accept.
11. No sex. This is WARRIORS. It is a kid's series.
12. Other than that, have fun!
Here's the character template to copy and paste!
Code: Select all
[b]Name?[/b]
[b]Gender?[/b]
[b]Relatives?[/b]
[b]Role in Clan? (E.g. Warrior, Apprentice,etc.)[/b]
[b]Special Talents?[/b]
[b]History?[/b]
[b]Age? (1 moon to 9 years)[/b]
[b]Personality?[/b]
[b]Appearance?[/b]

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:32 am
View Likes
sheysse says...

Allegiances

Thunderclan
Leader
Goldenstar- Yellow tabby that appears golden in the sunlight
Deputy
Rabbitclaw- White and silver tabby tom
Medicine Cat
Swiftleap- Tall, slender gray tom with black stripes
Apprentice- Cedarpaw
Warriors
Deadheart- Large gray tom with a white patch over his heart
Apprentice- Maplepaw
Stonetail- White she-cat with a gray tail and hindpaws
Stoneswirl- Gray tortoiseshell she-cat
Flamesong- Orange tabby tom with orange eyes
Berrytuft-Brown tortoiseshell she-cat
Flowershade- White tabby she-cat
Pebbleclaw- White tortoiseshell she-cat with stunted claws
Falconfeather- Brown and white tabby tom
Grassfeather- Grass stained tortoiseshell she-cat
Pinefur- Brown tom
Larkwing- Sandy brown tabby with green eyes
Lionpelt- Orange tabby tom
Darkfoot- Light gray tom with one black paw
Sparrowflight- Orange tortoiseshell she-cat
Sageleaf- Brown tabby she-cat
Apprentice- Mousepaw
Snowcloud- White and gray she-cat
Apprentice- Featherpaw
Riversplash- Brown tom with a wavy white stripe down his flank
Clovertail- Orange she-cat with a light gray tail
Apprentices
Maplepaw- Light orange she-cat with dark ginger stripes
Mousepaw- Solid brown tom
Featherpaw- silver tortoiseshell she-cat
Cedarpaw- Gray tabby with blue eyes
Queens
Icefall- White she-cat appearing almost light blue. Mother to Goldenstar’s kits, Thunderkit and Cloudkit
Silvereye- Brown she-cat with piercing silver eyes, almost white. Mother of Lionpelt’s kits, Deerkit, Treekit, and Orchidkit
Robinfoot- Gray tortoiseshell she-cat with skinny legs
Elders
Creakbone- Gray she-cat that’s bones creak when she moves
Tigerfoot- Blind brown tabby with black paws
Last edited by sheysse on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.

176 Reviews

Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:59 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

Allegiances

Shadowclan
Leader
Applestar- Gray tortoiseshell she-cat
Deputy
Sharpfang- Brown tabby tom with abnormally large fangs
Medicine Cat
Comfreyfoot- White she-cat with a brown patch on one paw
Apprentice- Shinypaw
Warriors
Darkclaw- Black and gray tom
Tortoisesun- Orange tortoiseshell she-cat
Apprentice- Silhouettepaw
Diamondstripe- Light gray tom with a dark gray stripe and a diamond shape on his muzzle
Frostcloud- White she-cat
Apprentice- Shadowpaw
Treefeather- Brown tabby tom
Spiderhop- Tall gray tom
Fawnheart- White spotted brown she-cat
Foxstreak- Dark orange tom with a brpwn stripe
Apprentices
Shadowpaw- Black tom with green eyes
Silhouettepaw- Black she-cat with blue eyes
Queens
Windclaw- Light orange she-cat. Mother of Treefeather's kits Branchkit and Flowerkit
Elders
Suntabby- A yellow tabby tom
Blackheart- A white tom with a blackspot over his heart

176 Reviews

Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:01 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

Allegiances

Windclan
Leader
Featherstar- White she-cat with blue eyes
Deputy
Flywing- Small gray tortoiseshell tom
Medicine Cat
Clawheart- Brown tom with a scar down his chest
Warriors
Dustfur- Gray and brown tom
Cloudsky- Light gray she-cat with white spots
Firetail- White tom with an orange tail
Gorseface- Gray-faced brown tom
Heatherslip- Greasy brown tabby she-cat
Aspenpelt- Brown tabby tom
Whiteheart- A white tom with a gray chest
Parsleyfur- A light gray tabby she-cat
Haretail- A red, black, and white she-cat
Apprentices
Lionpaw- White tom with orange paws
Leopardpaw- Spotted light orange she-cat
Queens
Dapplefeather- Spotted red she-cat
Elders
Twisttail- Old gray tom with a twisted tail
Featherfalcon- White tom
Softfur- Long furred white she-cat
Last edited by sheysse on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

176 Reviews

Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:03 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

Allegiances

Riverclan
Leader
Ripplestar- Brown tabby tom with blue eyes
Deputy
Lichenfrost- Gray tom almost appearing a light blue
Medicine Cat
Eaglevalley- Brown she-cat with a white head and tail
Apprentice- Shorepaw
Warriors
Raventalon- White she-cat with black paws
Heartstripe- A red tom with a brown stripe down his flank
Curltail- A black tom with a curled tail
Wavestorm- Light gray tom
Mountainwhisker- A dark gray she-cat
Apprentice- Stormpaw
Scarmuzzle- Brown tom with a scar running down his muzzle
Yellow- A light gray tom, formerly a rogue
Tigerfeather- Tortoiseshell white she-cat with orange eyes
Apprentice- Dustpaw
Shellpelt- Tortoiseshell brown tom with green eyes
Apprentices
Shorepaw- Gray she-cat
Stormpaw- Gray tom
Dustpaw- Black tortoiseshell she-cat
Queens
Cloudheart- White she-cat, mother of Shellpelt's kits Pebblekit, Swoopkit, Reedkit, and Tinykit
Sharpstone- A gray she-cat
Elders
Kinkfoot- A white tom with a twisted foot
Sunspot- A light gray tom with yellow eyes

176 Reviews

176 Reviews

Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:16 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

Goldenstar

“Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather below the Highrock!” Yowled Goldenstar as he stood above his camp. He watched as cats slowly began to emerge from dens and trotted to the base of the rock.
Thunderclan camp was situated in a huge hole in the ground. The floor of the hole was abnormally flat and likely created by twolegs. At the far side of it was a huge rock, the Highrock, where Goldenstar majestically stood. It was an appropriate location for the leader of Thunderclan, watching over his clanmates who would risk their lives for him. He, of course, would do the same.
He looked down and saw Cedarkit tilt his head up the rock in a quizzical manner. So Cedarkit isn't aware its time for him to be apprenticed. He looked down at his medicine cat Swiftleap, who nodded. Cedarkit had taken an interest in the medicine cat's role in the clan, and so Goldenstar had decided to assign him as medicine cat apprentice.
Though Swiftleap's mentor and the past medicine cat, Stormcloud, had only passed on a few moons ago, it was unknown if/when another opportunity like Cedarkit would occur again. It would be disastrous Swiftleap were to die before training an apprentice, so early is better than later.
Besides, Cedarkit had mentioned many times how he enjoyed visiting the medicine cat den to help Swiftleap. It seemed perfect.
And then there was that. It had been almost three moons since Swiftleap had received the prophecy. Goldenstar still remembered clearly that moment when Cedarkit had been playing with the other kits. Orchidkit had fallen on a thorn branch and got cut. However, she went on playing, unaware of her injury. Cedarkit, on the other paw, went to the medicine cat den to ask for some cobwebs, saying he somehow cut himself. Orchidkit's injury was no longer apparent on her, but rather was on Cedarkit. Somehow, Cedarkit had taken the injury himself. Both Swiftleap and Goldenstar had agreed he was one of the prophecized.
“As you may know, one of our clan's kits Cedarkit, has reached six moons,” Goldenstar shouted, echoes bouncing of the walls of the camp. Cedarkit piped up when he heard his name. “As son of Stoneswirl, he is half kittypet. But, like Stoneswirl, he has proven to be as clanborn as any of us here. After watching him closely, I have decided he is best suited as Swiftleap's apprentice.” Cedarkit began bouncing up and down, clearly excited. “Cedarkit, do you accept the responsibility of medicine cat apprentice? Do you accept the task of healing your clanmates of both physical and emotional injuries?”
“Yes!” Squeaked Cedarkit cheerily, though his nervous voice a tiny sound in the camp. Goldenstar smiled.
“Then from this day on, I name you Cedarpaw. Swiftleap, though you are young, you are intelligent, and I am fully confident you will be capable of training Cedarpaw in the ways of the medicine cat. I now assign you to mentor Cedarpaw.”
Swiftleap lowered his head gracefully, and Cedarpaw bounced over nervously. He put his nose to Swiftleaps shoulder reluctantly. “Do not worry, young one,” Swiftleap whispered.
“Cedarpaw, Cedarpaw!” The clan chanted in unison.
“I now conclude this clan meeting,” Goldenstar shouted. Lowering his voice as the clan broke up, he turned to his deputy, Rabbitclaw. “Organize the dawn and hunting patrols.” Rabbitclaw nodded and began to give orders to the warriors.
Goldenstar turned and went out of the camp to go hunting.

He followed a common hunting trail and immediately encountered a shrew. He crouched and crept closer, before pouncing on it and killing it with a swift blow to the nape.
Goldenstar sat down to rest. His energy had been growing less and less recently. He had spent many moons leading Thunderclan, and knew he had but a few moons left. He looked at the morning sky and watched as the last of Silverpelt faded. Soon. Only four lives remained- a good number to have at such an age, but even multiple lives can't prevent aging.
He knew that there was still something he must do. He needed to complete the prophecy. He had figured out that Cedarpaw was prophecized. Swiftleap had admitted to the ability of seeing visions of the past, and Goldenstar could see visions of the future. However, Starclan never specified how many cats he needed to look for. It could just be Cedarpaw, Swiflteap, and himself. Or it could be all of Thunderclan. He didn't know better.
The prophecy had mentioned a fifth clan which he knew nothing about. He best action would be to learn about this clan from Starclan, and so he planned to venture to the Moonpool tonight.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:31 am
View Likes
Lael says...

Swiftleap

No matter how much of a brave, confident face he put on for Goldenstar, for Cedarpaw, for the rest of the Clan--even for himself--Swiftleap could not deny how inwardly conflicted he was.

He had hoped Goldenstar hadn't really meant what he said when he suggested Swiftleap take on Cedarpaw as his apprentice. After all, Stormcloud had only moved on to StarClan but a few moons ago; the grief was still fresh and raw in his heart at the passing of his mentor. Swiftleap couldn't even truly fathom how he, as inexperienced as he was at being the sole medicine cat, could even dream of being anywhere near as good of a mentor as Stormcloud was.

But Goldenstar had insisted. And Cedarpaw was, admittedly, already showing such potential in the medicine den by remembering the herbs Swiftleap used to treat his Clanmates' wounds, stomachaches, and the like.

And there was the prophecy. It had been all so sudden, only a few moonhighs after the death of his mentor. Stormcloud had appeared to him in a dream and gave him the prophecy to save SkyClan, a Clan he had never heard of before.

It was then he understood why he had always known things without being told. It was why he had known that Applestar had suffered a sprain even before Comfreyfoot had even uttered a word, or why he knew there would be a patch of catmint under a particularly large oak tree just by glancing at the dried catmint leaves in his storage.

When they had discovered Cedarpaw's strange ability, Swiftleap had wondered if the little cat was another of the chosen ones to save this unknown Clan. So he had agreed to mentor him, to Goldenstar's approval. (And he admires you so much, said Goldenstar.)

"Swiftleap! What are we going to do first?" meowed Cedarpaw.

Swiftleap started. "What?" he said. "Oh, yes." He forced his neck fur to lie flat. "First I'm going to teach you how to . . . get rid of the elders' ticks."

"Okay!" mewed Cedarpaw, bouncing on his toes like he was still a kit. (Well, he had still been only a few moments ago . . .) But the strange thing was, he seemed so excited to do a task most apprentices dreaded.

"This mouse bile stinks!" Cedarpaw scrunched his nose at the smell that honestly made Swiftleap himself want to gag every time he had to use some.

"But it works," said Swiftleap, trying to hold his breath as he let the bile soak into a ball of moss. "It kills parasites, and that makes the elders more comfortable."

Cedarpaw brightened. "Then I'll make sure to get every single tick off of Creakbone and Tigerfoot!"

Swiftleap couldn't help but let out a small mrrow of laughter. He had to admit that Cedarpaw's amiable personality was refreshing, after these past few moons alone in the medicine den with his misery and insecurities. "Here, hold on to this. We're going to the elders' den now."

"Okay!" Cedarpaw trotted alongside Swiftleap as they padded across camp to the elders' den, holding the smelly ball of moss. Swiftleap tried to keep from ducking his head down as they passed their Clanmates; avoiding their gazes helped.

"Creakbone! Tigerfoot!" Swiftleap poked his head inside the den. "How are you doing?"

"Couldn't you have come any faster?" complained Creakbone. "My ticks are killing me! And my legs still hurt!"

"Don't worry," meowed Swiftleap quickly. "I'll come by with some herbs for your legs later. But right now, Cedarpaw is going to learn how to help you with those ticks."

"I'm sure he'll do great," purred Tigerfoot, blinking his sightless eyes. "I'm impressed that you're already learning on your first day!"

Cedarpaw ducked his head but obviously glowed with pride.

"You'd better teach him well, Swiftleap," snapped Creakbone. "I don't want yet another apprentice who doesn't know how to kill the ticks properly."

"Don't mind Creakbone," said Tigerfoot gently. "She's just cranky."

"I am not!"

"O-okay!" interrupted Swiftleap before Creakbone could start bickering with Tigerfoot. "You hold the moss like this in your claws, Cedarpaw, and just dab it on the tick. That's it . . ."

As Cedarpaw busily worked at the ticks and Tigerfoot launched into a tale about his warrior days before he went blind, Swiftleap stepped out of the elders' den briefly and took in huge breath, shaking his fur slightly. Being a mentor already felt like an exhausting job.

His eyes drifted up to the Highledge, where Goldenstar sat alone, watching over the camp.

A much younger Goldenstar followed Stormcloud down a well-worn path to the Moonpool, where he lapped the water and his eyes soon closed.

Swiftleap blinked. That had to be when Goldenstar received his nine lives, long before Swiftleap was born. What could it mean? he wondered.

But he didn't have to think for long as Goldenstar stood and made his way down. Swiftleap hurried over to him.

"Goldenstar," he mewed, rushing through his words so he wouldn't stammer, "are you thinking about going to the Moonpool today?"

His leader blinked at him with fondness. "Sometimes I still wonder how you just seem to know everything. StarClan has definitely given you their blessings."

"I'll come with you," said Swiftleap. "I've been wanting to talk to StarClan too."

"Are you going to the Moonpool?" Cedarpaw's voice piped up from the entrance of the den. "Can I come?"

Swiftleap suppressed a groan. He had almost forgotten that he now had an apprentice to account for. "Of course," he meowed in as bright of a tone he could muster. "I'm sure it would be a great opportunity for you to share tongues with StarClan even before your first half-moon meeting with the other medicine cats."

"Yay! I can go!" Cedarpaw bounced up and down with excitement.

"But first," said Swiftleap sternly, "you are going to wash that bile smell off your fur."

As Cedarpaw raced off, Goldenstar murmured, "I think it would be a good idea to bring some other cats along with us. To see if they're a part of the prophecy too."

Swiftleap stiffened. "More cats?" he echoed weakly as Goldenstar padded forward, scanning the camp.

"Deadheart!" he called. "You and Maplepaw should come with me, Swiftleap, and Cedarpaw to the Moonpool. I think it's about time Maplepaw had the chance to share tongues with StarClan."

The gray tom, who was sitting alone in the shadows, silently dipped his head in acknowledgement. His apprentice, an orange she-cat, pricked her ears up when she heard her name and could barely conceal her excitement.

"If neither of them are a part of the prophecy," meowed Goldenstar, "you can always take a few more cats to the Moonpool. You'd better ask Larkwing to take care of things for you while you're gone."

"Of course, Goldenstar." Swiftleap wanted to bang his head on the ground.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:03 am
View Likes
Gymnast2801 says...

Maplepaw

"I want you and Mousepaw to catch as much as you can until I come get you."

Maplepaw pawed at the nettle, only half listening to her mentor's long speech about what they where doing. I mean, couldn't he just make it simple and quick? But no, he has to make a long speech about where we can and can't go, and why, and to stay away from foxes (which we already know), and...
"Maplepaw? Maplepaw!" She looked up, pawing the nettle away as if she hadn't been playing with it. Deadheart glared at her and he seemed to get very angery but then his body relaxed and he sat back down. "Off you go now. I'm sure Mousepaw will remember the rules and you'll just break them."
Maplepaw sighed, "Let's go." She muttered, getting up and walking away quickly. Deadheart was usually even tempered and relatively nice. But she knew that not paying attention would make her mentor just about loose his pelt, and that's why should would do it sometimes. It was enjoyable to watch.

"Wait up!" Mousepaw called as he rushed to catch up. She slowed some and eventually came to a stop. Mousepaw skidded to a halt bedside her, his brown pelt ruffled. "What was that all about? I thought you where going to loose your pelt!"
"It was nothing. He just gets angrey when I'm not paying full attention." Maplepaw answered, starting to walk again. Mousepaw followed at her side.
"Then why don't you listen if you know it makes him mad?" He questioned.
She smiled. He really didn't get it, did he? Didn't he know that sometimes it was fun to be bad? She supposed not. "Because I just don't feel like it." She said.

If only she could tell them about her mysterious power that had been happening recently. Then she might listen more and not be lost in thought.
It had been around a moon, maybe less, since something odd started to happen. She first realized it when she went on a hunting patrol. A pair of wood pigeons had been sitting on a branch and she had heard them talking. It was so strange that she felt she shouldn't tell anyone for fear that they would think she had lost her mind. But the talking animals persisted and the true test was when a fox had been attempting to break into camp and she had a conversation with it. They had both agreed on terms and the fox left without hurting any cat.

Mousepaw studdenly stopped and sniffed the ground. "Rabbit." He muttered, "We must be close to Windclan territory for a rabbit to be near."
Maplepaw noded and scented. She enough, the smell of wind, heather, and delissious rabbit came into her nose and mouth. She dropped to a crouch and Mousepaw followed. A dark brown rabbit, about the size of a large kitten, emerged from the bushed.
Both apprentices help still in terror. They where going to lose their catch at any moment. The rabbit lifted its head and sniffed the air. It's eyes got large and its mucules tended, ready to leap away. But Maplepaw lept at it with full force, knocking it down and pinning it to the ground.
"No, please, no!" Came the sound from the rabbit.
But Maplepaw knew she had to kill it and she quickly brought her jaws down hard around its neck, and the voice stopped.

"Impressive!" Mousepaw exclaimed, "That was amazing!"
She was about to reply when her mentor burst from the bushes, breathless. "Goldenstar said he wants you, Maplepaw, back at camp now. He is taking you and Cedarpaw to the Moonpool tonight, along with a few other cats."
Maplepaw let her catch go and just stared at him. She was really going to the Moonpool?!
If the world was blind, how many people would you impress?

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:23 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

Deadheart

Deadheart awoke with darkness stuffed between his ears. The drowsy feeling stretched around his pelt as he pulled awake from the black mire, and it eventually snapped back from his mind, his eyes opening. With a slight groan, he stood up, twitching his ears uncomfortably.

There was moss between his claws. Deadheart stared at it blearily for a moment, before looking down and realizing why. Around him, his nest was in tatters, scraps of moss and leaves shredded and mangled by his own four paws in his sleep.

Deadheart’s expression turned dark. “That dream again,” he muttered, gathering bits of moss back into the nest. “It just won’t let up.” That same dream had haunted him for countless moons, striking in the dead of night when not even StarClan could protect him. Even now he felt it, dwelling in the shadows of his soul, waiting to grab him by the throat and drag him under.

He’d heard of dreams given to cats from StarClan, even from the Place of No Stars. But this was a dream created entirely by his own actions. Not a vision, but a memory. One that made him wish he’d shredded his own fur instead of the moss.

“Ah, Deadheart! Good morning!” Deadheart turned to see Riversplash lying nearby. The brown tom greeted him warmly before turning to his sister. “You see, I told you your coughing could wake the dead.”

Flowershade lashed her tail at his muzzle. “And I told you, I’m fine. Stop worrying about it already.” She grimaced, trying to contain another fit of coughing as it wracked her body,

Riversplash’s gaze grew more sympathetic. “You really should see Swiftleap. He can help before it gets worse.”

“Yeah. Or he might make it worse,” Flowershade scoffed. She shook her head. “Sorry. I like the cat, really, I do. I’m just worried that he’s not ready yet.”

Riversplash ran his tail over his sister’s back comfortingly. “We all loved Stormcloud. But StarClan gave Swiftleap to us as our medicine cat. If we trust in them, we have to trust in him.”

“Hm.” Flowershade nodded, then stood up, stretching. “Fine. I’ll see him later. But I can still hunt for today, so stop nagging me about it.” With that, she padded out of the warrior den.

“Honestly, she’s so stubborn.” Riversplash shook his head. “Well, this compromise is as good as any.”

The cat stretched, showing off the wavy white line down his flank. “You’ll protect her when I’m not around, won’t you, Deadheart?” he said, smirking.

Deadheart turned his head to look out the den entrance. “I think she’d disagree to that arrangement,” he said.

“Ah, come now. I’d expect the warrior Deadheart to have a little more self-confidence.” Riversplash walked past him and didn’t notice Deadheart flinch at his statement. “Well, come on. We shouldn’t be late.”

He burst out of the entrance, striding into the morning sunlight. Deadheart stared after him for a moment before sighing. Charismatic cats like Riversplash were a bit much for him to handle. In the sweet silence of the empty den, he could finally relax.

That was when Goldenstar’s voice rang through the camp. “Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather below the Highrock!”

Deadheart closed his eyes, swaying his head morosely. It was ThunderClan; camp was never quiet.

-----------------------------

“When hunting, keep low while you approach your prey. Remember, the most important part is balance, not speed,” Sageleaf explained, her tail swishing rhythmically.

Mousepaw and Maplepaw were sitting quietly in front of their mentors, listening to their instructions. At least, Mousepaw was.

“That’s right,” Deadheart continued, trying to ignore Maplepaw's scuffling with the nettle on the ground. “But if you pick up any scent from a fox or badger, or even another Clan, run away as quickly as you can.” Poke, poke. “Remember, this is just a hunting exercise. No need to lose fur over worthless fights. Now, I want you and Mousepaw to catch as much as you can until I can come get you.”

Poke, poke.

“Maplepaw?”

Poke, poke...poke.

“Maplepaw!”

She looked up, scooping the nettle behind her innocently. “Hm?”

Deadheart glared at her for a moment, then sighed. “Off you go now. I’m sure Mousepaw will remember the rules, and you’ll just break them.”

Maplepaw tilted her head, then nodded with what almost looked like exasperation. As if she has any right to feel stressed by her duties, Deadheart thought as the two apprentices raced off into the woods.

Deadheart walked over to the nettle and crushed it with his forepaw. It stung, but the pain was refreshing to him. “Halfway there,” he muttered.

“You know, you really don’t have to be so hard on her,” Sageleaf said, padding over to him. “She’s always listening, just...in her own way.”

“That’s exactly why I have to be hard on her,” Deadheart replied. “I’m probably the most patient warrior she’ll ever deal with. The warrior code is built on respect for others, and no cat can ignore that, regardless of their talent.”

“Hm.” Sageleaf’s eyes twinkled. “That’s rather odd coming from the mighty and rebellious Deadheart.”

Embarrassed, Deadheart dipped his head. “Those days are over, and I don’t plan on revisiting anytime soon.” Clearing his throat, he turned back to her. “Anyway, we should get to hunting ourselves.”

“Right. We can’t have our apprentices outshining us, can we?” Sageleaf purred. She was still beaming at him when the grass came alive and lashed out towards her.

“Move!” In an instant, Deadheart had shoved Sageleaf out of the way, slamming his paws against the ground to whirl around and face his enemy. The snake flew past and landed in the soil, writhing angrily. It hissed as it turned, rising up again in challenge.

A snake, Deadheart thought, snarling. What...it shouldn’t be in this part of the territory!

The serpent swirled menacingly, a venomous gleam in its eyes. I have to kill it before it finds Maplepaw.

The warrior raised his hackles and circled around the snake. His claws sliced out, driving the serpent back before it reared up and flung itself towards him again.

He dodged, maneuvering himself so that the snake streamed by him. His paw flew out and slammed onto its tail, drawing blood to his satisfaction. But the snake wriggled free and doubled back furiously, the venom glistening in its fangs.

Deadheart leaped away and crouched low, running battle strategies through his mind. To his dismay, his body remembered just fine.

“Don’t try to take it head-on,” Redroot had said. “A snake’s venom can be fatal if you get bitten.”

“I don’t give a rat’s tail,” Deadpaw had shot back. “I’ll take them all on for my Clan!”

A bit of sadness had shown in his mentor’s eyes at that. “You have the right to care about your own life, Deadpaw.”

Deadheart jerked back to reality to find the snake winding towards him over the earth like an emerald river. It let out an intimidating hiss, forcing Deadheart back.

Splashing water beneath his paws as he charged into the river, Redroot behind him.

“Stop it,” he muttered, closing his eyes against the memory. “I don’t want this life…”

The snake rose to full height, screaming as it expelled waves of terror through the forest.

Redroot’s waving tail as he was lost in a crimson sea of cats.

Deadheart roared and charged, gripping the snake with his paws and wrestling it into the dirt. Two sets of fangs gnashed at each other brutally, each barely scathing their opponent. Rage burned through Deadheart’s body, and his mind was drowned by his own seething blood. Through a haze of red, he saw the snake strike out and sink its teeth into his leg.

Yowling in pain, Deadheart slashed downwards with a badger’s might. A second later, blood began to soak his paws as the snake’s body fell limp. Its head detached from his thigh and rolled a tail-length away, and the blood kept flowing and flowing, dying the river red.

“Deadheart?” He broke from his daze to see Sageleaf getting up nearby. The she-cat winced, tensing her muscles. “Agh - I hit my head.” Shaking it gently, she turned to the clearing and its bloodsoaked dust. “What happened?”

A wave of regret crashed down on Deadheart, and he bit his tongue. “I was, um...playing chase the tail.” He glanced down at the decapitated snake. “The tail lost.”

Sageleaf blinked at him in amusement. “Ah. Well, if you say so.” She tried to walk, stumbling before Deadheart pressed against her side, supporting her.

Together, they began walking back to camp. “But just now, you saved me, didn’t you?” Sageleaf asked.

“Didn't do a very good job," Deadheart rumbled, "but I suppose so.”

“Hm.” Sageleaf looked down as she tried to steady herself. “I’m grateful, anyways,” she said quietly.

Deadheart grimaced, bracing against her flank. “If you are, don’t then mention this to any other cat. I have enough rumors on my tail as is.”

“Don’t worry,” Sageleaf purred, “I won’t tell anyone that the mighty Deadheart was playing chase-the-tail on a hunting patrol.” Then she fell silent, too exhausted to speak.

Deadheart walked back to ThunderClan camp with adrenaline leaking from his veins, the bloodlust having vanished from his body and left nothing but venom behind.

When he got back, he found Goldenstar by the camp entrance. “Deadheart!” the golden warrior called. “You and Maplepaw should come with me, Swiftleap, and Cedarpaw to the Moonpool. I think it’s about time Maplepaw had the chance to share tongues with StarClan.
Last edited by Chaser on Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:35 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Cedarpaw

The entire day had blurred together in a whirl of excitement and anticipation; he had never been so happy in his admittedly short life. He had dreamed of becoming the medicine cat apprentice for at least three moons after Stoneswirl had explained it to him.

But as the sun made its way across the sky, the euphoria he had experienced early on quickly began to turn to anxiousness. Though he had watched Swiftleap in the medicine cat den several times when he was still a kit (which strangely seemed so long ago!) and therefore understood what several different plants were used for, he found himself absolutely terrified for what lay ahead.

First, there would be the memorization. He would have to learn all of the knowledge Swiftleap possessed – Oh Starclan, how was he supposed to learn all of that? There was so many different uses for everything. How had Swiftleap managed to learn everything he needed to know?

Then would come the application of his knowledge. That was an even more fearsome task. What if he messed up and gave an injured cat the wrong thing? What if applying cobwebs to a wound didn't stop the bleeding? Or what if he couldn't find any catmint when he needed it?

The clan's leader relied on the medicine cat for advice in various situations. What if he gave the wrong advice to whoever was leading when he was no longer an apprentice (He hoped it was Goldenstar. He liked Goldenstar. His kits were nice.)?

Plus, there was the part about conversing with Starclan. What if they didn't want to talk with him for some reason he couldn't control? What if he didn't understand them? And they were dead cats; he understood their importance, but talking to the dead sounded more than a little scary.

This were all things he would have to eventually face, but at the moment, what he had to face was the journey to Moonpool he would soon embark on with other cats.

He took a deep breath and held his head high as he made his way back to the medicine cat den. He was a medicine cat apprentice. It was a honor, and his lifelong (well, half of his life) dream. He would help countless cats. He would stop cats from dying. He would learn all of the knowledge available to him.

He would be the best medicine cat the clans had ever seen!

Except for Swiftleap, of course.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

176 Reviews

Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:59 am
View Likes
sheysse says...

Flamesong

Flamesong watched as Goldenstar, Swiftleap, Cedarpaw, Maplepaw, and Deadheart licked up to leaf wraps used to subdue hunger. Goldenstar had just announced he would be traveling to the Moonpool, and selected a couple cats to come with him. Yet, as Flamesong noticed, he hadn't said why.

Maplepaw and Cedarpaw were bouncing with anticipation, and even Deadheart, who often came across as calm and collected, looked excited about the trip. Swiftleap and Goldenstar were suspiciously serious.

Flamesong was extremely curious. Why had Goldenstar suddenly decided to speak with Starclan? And why had he not chosen to bring Featherpaw and Mousepaw? It was almost like Goldenstar was trying to keep the amount of cats journeying low.

Jealousy filled Flamesong. An unexpected injury while in a tree had kept Flamesong out of action for a portion of his apprenticeship. When he recovered, it was almost Leaf-Bare and everyone was to busy preparing to give him a chance to see the Moonpool. Flamesong became a warrior shortly after without ever venturing there.

He had toyed with the idea of going on his own, but the trouble he would be in would be too immense. And so he was a warrior without ever speaking with Starclan.

Flamesong was snapped back to reality as Rabbitclaw him ordered to gather a few cats for border patrol. After some thought, he chose Stoneswirl and Berrytuft. When he was done, he noticed Goldenstar and his group had left.

They had patrolled the borders and were on their way back to camp. It was already getting late and the sun had begun to set. Stars slowly emerged, dancing through the crimson sky. Starclan. How I wish to speak with you.

Again, his thoughts drifted back to the Moonpool. This might be his last chance. He should follow the group of cats who had left. Then he would get to finally speak with Starclan.

“Stoneswirl, take lead of the patrol. There's somewhere I... need to go,” Flamesong said after some thought.

Stoneswirl looked confused, but didn't argue. Flamesong dashed off to the Moonpool, knowing he had to hurry or he would miss the moon rise.

Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door.
— Kyle Chandler