z

Young Writers Society

Welcome to Camp Half-Blood!!

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:23 am
Poopsie says...

The cabin disbanded. Each member rushing off to plan or just sitting around and talking. Leon didn't really feel like planning for a game. After all, it was a game. As be turned to leave, Beckett grabbed his shoulder.

"Hey there Leon. Would you mind a quick to Chiron? He's gotta prepare you for the game."

Leon nodded. The sky outside had brightened considerably now. Outside the barrier, rays of light peaked through the clouds, making for a dramatic backdrop to the camp. For some reason it put a smile on Leon's face. He decided today would be a good day, death game or not. After about ten minutes or so of walking, he found Chiron. He was near the shores of the sound giving an archery lesson to some of the newer campers, but as Leon approached, he put down the bow and turned to him.

"Ah. Leon. I see we meet again. What brings you here today?"

Leon suppressed a blush as all eyes turned to him.

"Beckett sent me sir."

Chiron chuckled.

"No need for formalities here Leon. I assume he wanted to prepare you for the game?"

Leon nodded. Chiron smiled, then without a word, unslung the quiver from his back and handed him both it and the bow. Leon stared at it for a second. He wasn't sure how he felt being put before a handful of strangers and being asked to teach them, but a look from Chiron made him grab it. Instinctively he bought the bow up to cheek height and drew an arrow. As he stood there, prices began falling into place. Draw to maximum length. Mark target. Calculate wind and power difference. Adjust. Release. The arrow flew straight and true. Bullseye. Leon released a breath he didn't know he'd been holding. He looked back. First at the campers behind him, then at Chiron, who nodded for him to continue.

Unconsciously, Leon decided he'd miss a few. Drawing another arrow, he repeated what he'd done before, but instead of aiming for the center, he aimed above it. A minute later the quiver was empty and Chiron was giggling to himself. Leon looked back at him with a questioning look. Chiron pointed to the target and Leon immediately blushed. He'd made a perfect smiley face. Chiron patted him on the shoulder.

"It seems you are prepared for the game."

Leon looked at him eyes wide with confusion.

"But I...it was.....It was luck." Was all he could get out. Chiron pointed to the bow.

"Normally I'd take a new camper to the armory, but this time around it seems the weapon has chosen you. However, I'd like to hang on to my bow. How about you go to the Hephaestus cabin and see if they can't whip you up something."

Leon nodded dumbly, walking back to the main campgrounds. What had come over him there? When had he learned to shoot a bow and arrow? Chiron had said the weapon had chosen him, but did he even want to fight. The thought of hurting anyone in the camp made a knot form in his stomach.The game was today and he had to participate. Panic and confusion blended in his stomach. Suddenly his legs grew weak. Unbeknownst to him a memory came to him. He was 5. It was early in the morning. Leon had had a nightmare of his mother leaving. Bleak white light filtered through the drawn curtains, painting the house in a pale somber light.

Daddy where's mommy?

She'll be back soon sweetie, but for now it's just you and me.

When will she be back? Daddy where is mommy?

She'll be home before you know it.

But...But.

Shhhh. Leon. Do you remember when mommy took you to the carnival? Do you remember the ferris wheel?

Leon nodded

It was fun! We went way up high!

Remember the stars that night? You were up so high you couldnnt have missed them!

Dad gave a chuckle.

Yeah! We were up really high. I could see the whole sky!

Remember when I said Mommy was coming home?

Is she?

Daddy smiled.

Why of course she is! But until then I want you to look up at the stars whenever you miss her. If you look hard enough, you can see mommy wherever she is. Ok?

Leon smiled.

Ok!

And suddenly the bleak light became warm and daddies smile seemed to brighten the room.

Leon snapped out of the memory. Instinctively he looked up. There were no stars, but suddenly the darkening sky became softer, and the shades of orange painting the setting sun brushed the sky a warm hue. Leon smiled. A smile only he could see, and continued walking. Eventually he reached the Hephaestus cabin. As soon as he knocked the door swung open. A kid who looked as if he's downed five energy drinks welcomed him in.

"Hey there newbie! Welcome to the Hephaestus cabin! Or as I like to call it. The Smith Masters Shi..."

Another kid cut him off.

"Shuttup Dexter!"

A hulking black kid walked into the room. Sweat drilled off his forehead as if he's just walked out of a sauna. Leon guessed their was probably a furnace in the room somewhere.

"Whaddya want?"

"Well....uh. Chiron said I should go here to get a weapon for the game tonight."

The kid rolled his eyes.

"The weapon chose you huh?"

Leon laughed nervously. Unfortunately, the boy picked up on it. A massive hand came down on Leon's shoulder.

"It's alright kid. We've all had our first days. You'll get over it. Come back in an hour or so, we'll have something for you."

Leon smiled and nodded. As he turned to leave, the kid spoke again.

"Any preferences?"

Leon thought for a moment.

"Make it a long bow."

The kid nodded and Leon exited the room.

It was twilight now. The stars weren't out yet, but Leon couldn't help but look up. He wasn't sure what he was looking for, but as the air cooled and the night set in, he searched for a sign. A star that looked like his father.
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:12 pm
LordZeus says...

Ray Patel

Ray sat at Hecate table, and started whistling while, the rest of his cabin started talking and laughing. He looked across the table from him at the empty chair, and felt a little morose.

Usually, Lou Ellen would sit at that chair, and they'd discuss camp schedules and cabin training sessions. Not exciting stuff, but it started off his day. Soon, the chair was pulled away by another of his campers to join a discussion that a couple of other campers were having next to Ray. With that, he turned his head down, and scanned the crude designs and words carved into the picnic table.

His followers came to him occasionally, but left quickly on sensing his mood, so Ray was, for once, quite alone. And he wasn't sure he liked it.

Suddenly, a voice called out uncertainly, "Ray?" and he looked up. Sam was standing opposite him. "Can we talk? About the Game?"

"Sure." replied Ray with a nod. "Stand aside for a moment please."

Sam looked confused but he did so, and Ray flicked his hand at the table nearest to them (Hebe Cabin) and an extra chair slid across to Hecate's table and turned around, facing Ray.

"You don't mind, do you?" asked Ray, looking straight at Hebe Cabin's counselor. She shook her head nervously, her fear of Ray clearly evident in her expression.

She's dead scared of me. He thought. Ah well, fear of me is nothing new. and he gestured to the chair opposite him, and Sam sat.

"So," started Sam with a cough. "I wanted to talk about your conditions."

Ray nodded, and Sam continued, "Well, doing your chores for a whole month, giving you our first place in the shower timings this month, and letting each of your cabin members select whatever item they want from our weaponry is rather steep..."

Ray raised an eyebrow, and Sam sighed., They both knew where he was ending up. "But it's a deal. Welcome aboard."

"I knew we'd come to an agreement." said Ray with a smile, and they shook hands. "Now, tell me, who else do you have on your side?"

Sam furrowed his eyebrows and looked thoughtful as he said, "Well, there's Apollo-which Athena cabin was furious about, by the way-and then there's Hephaestus, Demeter, and Tyche. And you guys, of course. Oh, and the Romans."

Ray's raised his eyebrows in disbelief. "The Romans?" he asked incredulously. "Didn't Dennis get into a fight with one of them?"

"Well, yes." said Sam. "But I took him to their cabin and made him formally apologize. and to broker peace, and in the spirit of Greek and Roman friendship, I humbly asked them to join forces with us on the Games. and they accepted."

"Just like that? No dissent?" asked Ray in disbelief.

"Well, there was one girl who didn't seem to like it too much, but the another guy shot her down." said Sam with shrug. "By the way, who do we think we should aim to get next?"

Ray immediately replied, "Well, Hades, Nemesis and Nike are up for grabs, now that Hebe, Aphrodite and Hermes are with Ares. Why don't you take Nike while I swing by the other two. I have friends at the those two, so I can help there. In fact, I'll do it right after breakfast. But I'll visit the Romans first. I haven't met them yet, and I should get to know them if they're going to fight by my side."

Sam grinned. "Sure thing, sounds great. Thanks a ton, Ray."

Ray nodded. "Too bad we lost Hermes though. That was twenty campers."

"Yeah." agreed Sam. "Still we got Apollo which is eighteen. And there are fourteen of you. And fifteen of us. So numbers aren't too much of a problem. Anyway, gotta go Ray. Thanks for the help."

Ray gave a slight smile as Sam stood up and walked back to his table. Ray soon did the same, soon after scoffing down a generous helping of frosties and started to walk towards the Cabins.

~~~~

Ray was strolling towards the cabins when he caught sight of Mickey. "Hey, uncle!" Ray called put playfully, and Mickey turned.

"Cousin." he insisted with a grin. "It's much, much easier to work with that way."

Ray shook his head and grinned, and the two close friends embraced. Then, Ray lightly punched Mickey on the shoulder and asked, "So, how've you been, buddy?"

"Oh well, you know." he replied as they continued walking. "Been to hell and back, and met a few ghosts along the way. The usual. You?"

"The usual. Training. Monster Slaying. Magical Arts." said Ray. "By the way, how's my favorite grandfather?" asked Ray with a humorous look on his face.

Mickey raised his eyebrows. "Hades is dark, grim, and depressing. So yeah, he's doing great. Though it really is a dark day when Hades is your favorite grandfather."

Ray replied, "Well, when your other grandfather is Perses the Titan, otherwise known as The Destroyer, Hades tends to win. Plus, he's given me blessings."

Mickey smiled again. "Ah well, I see your point. By the way, have you been planning for Capture the Flag?"

Ray nodded. "I was going to go to your cabin later, by the way, to get you on Ares's side, with us. Any thoughts on the sides?"

Mickey shrugged. "Wish I could say for sure. Beckett can be pretty persuasive."

Ray rolled his eyes. "C'mon, bro. We're family. Not to mention we're pretty good friends too. At least think about it before making a decision. Your choice totally, man."

"Alright." replied Mickey with a slight smile. "I'll think about it. By the way, where were you going now?

"The Romans' cabin." replied Ray. "Wanna come? I wanted to greet them, and talk about our cooperation in the Game."

"Alright." replied Mickey, and they started walking at a brisk pace towards their cabin.

"I think I'll get along well with them." said Ray.

"Oh? Why?" asked Mickey, turning towards him.

"My father was in the Legion." replied Ray. "Thirteen years, First Legion. He was even a centurion for the last seven."

Mickey's eyes widened. "You never told me that!" he exclaimed.

"An he didn't tell me until the day i left home." replied Ray. "In any case, on second thought, it might not help towards my relations with them. It could even hurt things."

"Why?" asked Mickey, furrowing his eyebrows.

Ray shrugged. "Romans are naturally superstitious. And anyone connected to Hades is bad luck."

Mickey stopped in his tracks. "Wait, we're both connected to Hades."

Ray stopped too, considering this. "Oh yeah. I wonder how they'll take the two of us there."

Mickey chuckled. "Who cares, it's bound to be fun just to tell them."

Ray grinned. "You're right. I can't wait to see the looks on their faces when they find out!"

Chuckling, the pair continued towards the Roman Cabin.

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:53 am
Chaser says...

Hachiko Kuwabara

“...And they all ate meatballs and lived happily ever after. The end.”

Hachiko closed his book with a snap, looking up and smiling. Clovis was already fast asleep, but now he was drooling in anticipation of happy meatballs. “I guess my work here is done.”

Saying that, he put the book down and stretched, his muscles waking up from their sleep on the wooden stool. He stretched and stretched, until he leaned too far and fell backwards with a boom.

“Owie owie ow…” Rubbing the back of his head, Hachiko sat up. Hypnos cabin was the same as usual, quaint and homely, with soft firelight glowing from the hearth, quiet violin music playing from some hidden alcove. Above the fireplace, shadows danced on the Lethe branch, amnesia seeping out from the wood.

Hachiko stood up and yawned, looking at Clovis one more time. Once Hachiko had come to camp, Clovis had found a way to put off hunger and sleep for days: by having Hachiko make him dream about food. He’d lost ten pounds as a result, and the other campers had to literally drag him to his meals. It seemed to make him happy, anyway, so there wasn’t too much harm done.

Grabbing his teddy bear from the floor, Hachiko gave it a hug. “Good morning, Bakuma,” he said. “Time to live the dream.”

With those words in his heart, the demigod son of Morpheus opened the door and stepped out into Camp Half-Blood.

------------------

Hachiko had decided long ago that walking was for the thoughtful and lazy, and he was neither of these things. The morning breeze felt good on his skin, and he skipped through the grass on his way through camp.

“Hachiko!” Breaking his musical stride, he turned to see Chiron clopping towards him. The immortal centaur slowed to a canter, walking alongside the boy.

“The harpies have finally finished the renovations of Morpheus cabin,” Chiron announced. “Though the constant hallucinations have made it rather difficult, and Feathers is still in the infirmary screaming about a deep fryer. If you could, perhaps, visit and help, Apollo cabin would greatly appreciate it.”

“Oh...hm.” Hachiko scratched the back of his head, grinning. “Sorry about that.”

Chiron waved his apology away. “It’s fine. Morpheus’ offspring are extremely rare; it’s a pleasure to have one attending Camp Half-Blood. Even if his cabin requires a quarantine zone.”

“Eheh. Oh hey! Walking suits of armor!” Hachiko ogled at the bronze chestplates marching through the camp, complete with stern-faced centurions attached.

“The Romans arrived just this morning,” Chiron said, a hint of pride in his tone. “I look forward to seeing them in battle. Though, I fear our campers may not be able to compensate,” he muttered, glaring at an Apollo camper chasing after two Hermes kids with a live dolphin raised above her head.

Sighing, the centaur clopped off to sort out the fight. “Soledad! Relinquish the dolphin!”

Hachiko watched him go. “Well, well. Who would have taken Rome to be roamin’?” His smile twitched for a second, and he clutched his bear tight to his chest. “It’s a dream come true.”

Quickly, he shook his head. "Right. Deep-fried harpy."

Hachiko walked up just as funky techno music streamed out of the Big House. Trying not to be intimidated by the warbling treble, he opened the door with a smile.

The Apollo cabin usually took shifts working the infirmary; this afternoon, Bastien Duvalier was in the house. The son of Apollo sat on a stool, healing a girl’s leg, every so often reaching back to scratch the record on the turntable behind him. His head bobbed to the beat, covered with a visor that changed colors with the pumping bass.

“Yo, what up, Kuwabara!” the son of Apollo called out over the music. Leaning back on his stool, he slammed air drums spasmodically, much to the girl’s discomfort.

“Hey!” Hachiko called, the door blasting shut behind him. “I - I’m here for the harpy!”

“I’m happy too!” Bastien whirled the turntable disks with a glowing swipe. “By the way, Feathers is right over there.”

Chained to a cot nearby was Feathers the harpy, blue in the face and screeching her head off about the horrors of Kentucky Fried Chicken. Apparently Bastien couldn’t shut her up, so he did the next best thing and autotuned her screams. Which was, to some, a whole different type of agony.

Hachiko walked over to the straightjacket cot, dodging the talons that swung out and clawed the hospital curtains. “Good morning, Feathers!” he said as soothingly as he could.

NOOOooooooooo,” wailed the harpy, “I’m gonna bE deep-friiiied.

Drawing up a stool, Hachiko picked up his bear. The black fur grew colder in his hands, eyes flowing like mist. “Hey, Bastien?”

“Doo-wop-what up?”

“Give me some chimes.” With a record scratch and wipe, the music shifted, cold and crystalline, twinkling in the air itself. Hachiko held Bakuma out over Feathers’ head, moving the arms in a little dance. Slowly, he began to sing.

Baku, Baku, eat my dream,
Pull the curtains, tear the seams,
Things are not all as they seem,
Come and eat my dream.

“Extra CRISPy vAlue bucket…,” Feathers moaned, “$14.99.”

Baku, Baku, eat my dream,
Drink from slumber’s silent stream,
Bring the sunlight’s golden beam,
Come and eat my dream.

Baku, eat my dream.

The notes slipped from the icy peak and sloped to the end, sliding off on the last beat. Bastien let it linger for a long second before turning to Hachiko. “Did it work?”

He was answered by a snored bird call. Mouse-flavored breath blew up from Feather’s mouth, dispersing quietly across the room. Hachiko nodded gently, raising a finger to his lips.

Bastien smiled. “Appreciative of that, Hachi. Hey, that reminds me. There’s another person here, he was, ah - caught in that hydra attack this morning. His head must be pretty screwed up right now, so you might want to help set that straight.”

“Will do!” Hachiko replied, hopping off of the stool. Walking past Bastien, he patted the girl’s leg absentmindedly. “Get well soon,” he said before disappearing through the door.

This part of the Big House was slightly darker, the lights having shorted out due to Bastien’s massive power surge. Slowly, the enchantments began to kick back in, each bulb fizzing to life. Hachiko wasn’t exactly sure where he was going anymore, but he was determined to find his way through this labyrinth.

Slightly, he began to hear music breathing through the halls. For a moment, Hachiko thought that Bastien had already boosted up the next track, but then he stopped; this wasn’t anything the wubwarrior would pulse out.

He felt it glide through the hallway, a single sheet of music, a veneer of sound lilting on the wind. Hachiko felt it attach to his chest, pulling him forward beneath his consciousness.

The riverside
Shines with light
Thine sea with tide
With all thy might

Where the weeping
Willow grows
Find me sleeping
No one knows

The aria flowed from an open doorway at the end of the hall. Hachiko’s fingers twitched at his sides, an eclectic light in his eyes as he shambled towards the music.

Through the crack, he saw it: a girl sat at the side of a bed, singing gently by herself.

I wish for the sun
To warm my heart
No clouds, there’s none
To keep us part

Where the weeping
Willow grows
Find me sleeping
No one knows

The girl slowed down on the last, ominous note, letting it drift and die in the air. She breathed in; then she exhaled, ending the trance.

But for Hachiko, the song hadn’t ended. The dream lingered with him, manifesting itself inside his mind. It bathed him in rapture, turning his senses apart and chasing doubt away. His subconscious retaliated wickedly, releasing a torrent of nightmares from the back of his head, bursting specters of past and future across his ears.

Through the amplification of dreams, the words combusted, sounds ricocheting and colliding within his cranium. Hachiko gagged as his head filled with a flaming echo.

The son of Morpheus had a god’s imagination, and it was imploding inside his skull.

His left eye exploded in a cloud of light. Hachiko burst out the side door, falling over the green patio railing. His legs took off, vaulting over earth and sky towards the woods. Hachiko’s consciousness dragged like a wounded kite behind him, but still had time for one last refrain before it vanished completely.

Where the weeping
Willow grows,
Find me sleeping
No one knows!
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

69 Reviews

Reviews: 69
Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:22 pm
NympheaLily says...

Ash Vallin
Ash ran from the big house and into the forest once more. She ran with all her energy, her lanky legs taking up strides up to three feet. She could feel her cheeks flaming and her heart was racing. She hated singing in front of people unless it was Roland. She scanned the area and finally found a climbable but out of the way tree where she could hide. She beelined for it and scrambled up the branches nimbly making her way around branches and leaves. Once she was in a comfortable hight and location, she stopped to breathe. Her hands still shook from that experience.

"I can't believe I didn't take the initiative and made sure no one was around," she whispered to herself, tears welling in her eyes. Ash knew she was a broken human, at least to hear. I sound like such an attention seeker, she thought miserably. She knew deep down that that wasn't true. At least that's what she thought. Suddenly she froze.

Someone was drawing near.

No.

Not someone. Two people were making their way through the forest. And they were heading straight for her hiding place.
Will Solace IRL

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:09 pm
Europa says...

Mickey Halen

The veil of coppery darkness thrown across my vision by my sunglasses did nothing to keep the sun from glinting in my eyes. I didn't mind, but still. Makes me wonder what good mortals see in these things.
Ray knocked on the door to the Roman's cabin and I held in a snicker. Ray smirked, but gestured for me to calm down. The door was swept open and a scary looking girl stepped into the doorway. She nodded.

"Ray."

Ray nodded back. "Eliza."

Eliza gave me a questioning glare. I grinned. "Ha! If I had a drachma for every time a girl gave me that look I wouldn't have to worry about my tab with Charon."

"This" Ray gestured to me "is Mickey. I've extended an offer to the Hades cabin to ally with us as well. He's here representing them."
Eliza shot another look at me and backed away one step. I winked at her, the movement barely visible through the singlasses' lenses. She glared harder. "Its time we discussed your terms for alliance. Come in." Eliz lead Ray into the cabin and I moved to follow him. Eliza gave me another one of her looks.

"Not you. You stay out there." I shrugged. Ray and Eliza disappeared down the hall and I strolled off along the side of the cabin. Glancing to one side of me, then the other, I spotted the two appear framed in a second story window right next to a conveniently placed tree. I grinned to myself. The branches were placed perfectly. It was almost like climbing a ladder. I stopped at the window just long enough for Ray to spot me out of the corner and then climbed a few branches higher. Staring down through the leaves, I could just see the tops of their heads. I grinned to myself as I sat on the branch, gripping it with my knees, And swung my body down to face the window. Eliza caught the movement first. She rose and threw open the window. I grinned as she fixed me with a look that might have killed a man less brave.

"What? I'm not inside the cabin." Ray sauntered up to stand beside her.

"You'll have to excuse him." He grinned up at me. "It seems my poor uncle has gotten rather senile in his old age."

I shook my fist, acutely aware of my glasses slipping down the bridge of my nose. "Back in my day we respected our elders!" I could have sworn I saw Eliza's eye twitch just then but from where I was hanging I couldn't be sure.

"Well," I beamed "Don't let me stop you." Eliza slammed the window shut. I pushed my glasses back up the bridge of my nose. Ray shrugged at me and returned to his seat.
"Huh." I mumbled "Well it was fun while it lasted, I guess." Reaching up to grab the branch, I let my legs slide off and hung for a few seconds before dropping onto the limb below me. I sat, swinging my legs idly and watching the sun reflect off the surface of the lake. The big house sat serenely beside it, so blue it almost blended in with the sky. I found myself staring, and that was the only reason I saw her dart out when she did. One moment she was running out the door and the next she was disappearing into the woods. A familiar heavyness settled in the pit of my stomach. I swung myself off my branch and clambered down to the ground, immediately breaking into a run toward where she had vanished into the forest.
Gotta stop it...gotta stop it.
Ray was calling my name. I kept running. The trees loomed ahead of me. They seemed to grow taller and darker with every step. Ray called my name again. I put on a burst of speed and crashed into the forest.
"Mickey, wait up!"

"I can't!"

Through the trees I could barely see her outline perched in a tree all by herself. The weight inside me seemed to come alive, crawling into my chest.

"Then at least tell me whats happening"

"I don't know. Nothing yet. But something bad is going to happen."

Ray didn't say anything else for a while. I imagined his consciousness merging into mine, his mind poking around for any extra information. I glanced over my shoulder at him. "That's all I know."

Ray nodded. "Lead the way."

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:01 pm
LordZeus says...

Ray Patel

Ray ran after Mickey, trusting his instincts. As he did so, he noticed that the woods were conspicuously silent-the usual sounds of the insects and smaller monsters were gone. But he pushed that to the back of his head as they came upon a tree in the middle of a clearing.

Mickey ran to the base of the tree and started climbing. A girl-Ash, if Ray remembered her name correctly-leaned out of the top of the tree and looked at Mickey curiously.

"What's going on?' she asked but Mickey gave her no reply as he climbed to the top.

Ray came up to he base of the tree, and Ash paled when she saw him. Well, it's to be expected. My reputation doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture.

But she quickly turned her attention to Mickey who removed his sunglasses, causing both Ash and Ray to gasp. What...what is he doing?

He stared at her for a second, then screeched, forcing Ray to cover his ears, and fell. Ray quickly ran under him and caught him giving an "Oomph!" as his weight hit him like a pile of bricks. He quickly lay him on the ground and immediately realized that Mickey's eyes were wide and that he was shuddering.

Ray pried his sunglasses from his hands and put them over Mickey's eyes, and he calmed down a notch..at least for a moment until he started yelling. "Ash, get down from there!" he yelled, sitting up. "It's coming! It's coming!"

Ash slid down the tree trunk and came up to them. "Alright, what's com-" she started but was cut off by half roar-half reptilian hiss that felt like they were piercing Ray's eardrums.

With a crash, an elephant-sized seven headed Hydra burst into the clearing. It let out another his sing reptilian roar as it charged forward, yellow venom spring from its mouths.

The monster slammed into the tree they were near bringing it smashing to the ground. it stomped around, crushing the branches where Ash had been just moments earlier, before one of his heads turned to focus its eyes on Ash, who like Ray and Mickey was paralyzed with fright.

The swooped forward, its jaws open but it was met with thin air as Ray recovered his wits and tackled Ash to the ground. All seven of the creature's deadly heads turned to the pair, venom spewing from its mouths, steam rising wherever it splattered onto the ground.

The hydra's were wild, and its thoughts were just as much so (from what Ray could see) and he could tell, without being able to read it from its mind, that this was no ordinary monster. Something was driving the hydra insane.

Ray stood up, stepping in from of Ash, his hands sparking with gold magic. But as the closest head moved in, an axe flew threw the air and cut It off.

Ray and Ash turned to see that Mickey had somehow regained himself and, as they watched, slashed off another head with his second axe, as the first returned to his hand.

Oh, Mickey, how could you forget? thought Ray, for the first time in a long time pale with fear as he watched two new heads sprouting from each headless stalk. Mickey paled too (even further if it was possible) as he realized what he had done, but he raised his axes and called out, "Go! Get Ash to safety! I'll hold him up!" and he slammed the flat of one of his axe blades into a head, causing it to give an enraged hiss.

Ray nodded and ran into the woods, pulling Ash with him. Soon, he noticed Ash was gritting her teeth.

"Are you okay?" he asked, slowing down.

"I'm fine." she muttered. "just a little bruised." and she winced as her left foot hit the ground.

Ray pulled one of her arms around of his shoulders, and said, "Lean on me."before picking up speed.

They kept going until they came out of the woods near the Dining Pavilion. At least fifty campers were gathered there, mostly just to mingle and hang out since lunch was a good way away.

A few of the nymphs came to help them as they drew near. A few campers turned to look at them , but the crowd largely ignored them. A nymph helped him draw up a chair for to it in.

Then they heard a huge scream and Ray turned towards the woods to see an object flying from them, unrecognizable as it flew up in the air, but then Ray realized what-or rather, who-it was as it hurtled back to earth near him.

Its Mickey. thoughtRay flung out his hand, slowing Mickey's fall, though e still hit the ground hard. Ray rushed to him and helped him up as Mickey swayed, and hl-ped him into a chair. This time, alll the campers' eyes were on them.

Then, the now easily recognizable roar-hiss ripped through the air as the hydra came out from the forest and charged towards the pavilion. Campers screamed and Ray called out, "Take ash and Mickey to safety!" to the nymphs before running towards the creature his hands at the ready, knowing he didn't have enough time to transform his pendant to sword form.

Ray stopped as he came close enough, flinging out a hand, a long golden whip slicing out, scoring the hydra's leg hide. But then one of the beast's heads slammed into Ray, sending him flying backwards. His magic slowed him down, but he still struck one of the picnic tables with considerable force, before he slid the ground and fell on his side, his vision swimming.

His thoughts were all over the place, one thing then another. A far-off corner of his brain that remained unaffected could hear screams, and felt his body being shaken as the hydra stepped nearby.

But then he felt himself being shaken, and his mind snapped back, his vision refocusing. A kneeling kid was in front of him, a new camper. "Please, we need your help!" he said.

Ray grunted and the boy released his grip as Ray gritted his teeth and mustered the strength to rise, He turned his head to see that all around them was chaos, campers running in multiple directions. But then his widened as he realized that the hydra had a camper pinned against the brazier where the central fire was lit, its multiple heads on long necks blocking off every means of escape.

And it was Casper, his friend and fellow Quest member who was trapped. Ray knew that there was only one thing he could do, and it would take much of the remaining strength of his weakened body.

He took a deep breath and called out, "Stay!", his voice and poet directed towards the hydra. The monster froze for a moment then turned towards Ray.

It took a step forward before Ray yelled, "Stay!", this time its such power that running campers nearby froze, unable to move. He stumbled towards his frozen foe (wh was unable to even move a muscle), feeling the dwindling energy his battered and bruised body, and he knew he didn't have much time left before it gave out.

A ball of golden light formed in his hand, before elongating to fit Ray's mental design. He felt the creature's mind struggling against him, trying to fight the sluggishness that came with Ray's magical persuasion. And Ray could also see that the monster was poisoned and dying, slowly but painfully, and felt a fleeting moment of sympathy for it.

One of the eyes on the nearest head twitched, and ray called out, 'Stay!" again as he stopped in front of the monster, hating his now fully formed spear on his shoulder.

The creature was still desperately trying to fight Ray's control, its wild mind struggling to gain the upper hand against Ray's mental might-and failing.

"Stop fighting." muttered Ray softly. "You know I'm giving you a much quicker end than you were getting already." And for a moment, the creature's eyes cleared, and Ray felt a moment of understanding pass between them

The hydra knew that one of its lives on earth was ending. And now it was time to go home. But then its eyes turned wild again, and one of of its heads flew forward. But not fast enough, as Ray hurled his spear into the beast's chest, and it burst into yellow dust, covering the whole pavilion in a fine layer before it flowed away, with the wind.

Ray looked around him. Dozens of campers surrounded him, gawking, all of their faces betraying one emotion: fear. Ray stumbled forward a few steps before falling on his knees, dizzy.

One person stepped to either side of him, and Ray could tell without looking who they were, instantly recognizing their minds; Rebecca and Olivia. And he could tell Casper was close by too.

They lifted him up. "Infirmary, please." he whispered, as loud as his strength allowed. Olivia nodded and they pulled him along.

Ray noticed the scared faces of people as they passed. This is what people see me as. There's no escaping it. he thought gloomily. I am fear. And then he finally gave into fatigue and passed out.

If you know what the tip of a shoelace is called, Congratulations, you watched Phineas and Ferb!
— FireEyes