z

Young Writers Society

Dream Walkers

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:29 pm
Lael says...

The time has come for a Gathering of Peace, a period of 4 months that occurs every 100 years to promote peace and coexistence between the lands. One person from each large, populated region of the world has been chosen to represent their people.

Each representative may be accompanied by a very small entourage, which may include servants or bodyguards. But regardless of whether you are the diplomat or one of his/her assistants, some of you have discovered a strange ability: you can walk in the realm of dreams. Dreams are now a part of your reality.

The setting:
Spoiler! :
The story will take place on the Great Island, which is the only place on Earth unclaimed by the nations and where every Gathering is held. The time is set in a distant future in which all modern technology we have today has been lost and nearly all people of a certain ethnicity have returned to their motherlands and readopted much of their old cultures. Of course, women in most places do have more freedoms than in the past. This does mean that some people may have mixed blood without knowing it; however, they are rare, as it has been many, many years since the Return.

Something is going on in the Dream World. Everyone at the Gathering has been having disturbing dreams filled with fear and horror. Strange, perhaps even life-threatening things have been happening in the waking world as well. Though some have become friends, tension is rising as people of different cultures are beginning to suspect other groups and struggle to remain peaceful; even some from the same region are having trouble getting along because of their ethnic differences. Will this diverse group be able to survive coexisting in the same place and band together to fight the unknown enemy, in the dreaming and waking worlds?

Hello, Lael here! I'm quite excited to try starting my own SB. However, since it is my first time, I am going to keep it small. The maximum characters I will accept is 10.

There are a few things I need to say though. First, not everyone can belong to the same region. Though it's okay if not all of the regions have a main character, I would like to limit the amount of playing characters per region to 2 or 3. Second, I would like for some characters to not have the ability to walk in the Dream World. We need some characters to defend the waking world as well! Third, keep in mind that this is supposed to be a kingdom-like setting, so NO modern technology or weaponry (e.g. phones, household appliances, guns and bullets, tanks, modern explosives, submarines, cars, planes, trains, anything that uses electricity/battery/a stored power source, etc.) exists! Also, there is no magic. But just because it's supposed to be like a historical setting doesn't mean that things have to be strictly historically accurate. After all, it's the future.

The Regions:
Spoiler! :
Africa:
East Asia: @Lael and @TheFantasy14 (closed)
Europe: @Chaser and TheFantasy14 (closed)
Middle East: @astellare
South Asia (sub-continent and surrounding areas): @Desdemona
The Americas:
The Pacific Islands:

Rules:
Spoiler! :
1. ABSOLUTELY NO cussing.

2. No explicit romance. Nothing more than holding hands, hugging, or kissing allowed. This means no inappropriate jokes either. Also, romance is to be kept 'traditional'.

3. Don't let your character overpower the others. However, they can be the best of their skill--just don't show off how good (s)he is too much.

4. No killing other people's characters without their permission.

5. Let me know in the DT if you aren't going to post in a round.

6. No substance use. Don't even mention drugs, smoking, or alcohol.

Character Template: (Please delete the things in parentheses. Also, if some sections like "Always carries around" or "Other" do not apply, feel free to leave them blank.)
Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]

[b]Usually addressed as:[/b]

[b]Age:[/b] (keep it between 20-40)

[b]Gender:[/b]

[b]Role at the Gathering:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]

[b]Region and modern-day ethnicity:[/b]

[b]Clothing style:[/b] (please make this based on your character's historical culture)

[b]Occupation/Status within one's society:[/b]

[b]History:[/b]

[b]Family:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]Habits:[/b]

[b]Always carries around:[/b]

[b]Hobbies:[/b]

[b]Talents/abilities:[/b]

[b]Dream walking ability?:[/b]

[b]Married?:[/b] (if married, provide a name; remember that romance is being kept 'traditional')
[b]Up for love?:[/b] (delete this if already married)

[b]Weapons:[/b] (most of the representatives and servants do not carry weapons)

[b]Fears:[/b]

[b]Strengths:[/b]

[b]Weaknesses:[/b]

[b]Other:[/b]

Keep in mind that some places put family names before given names and some places don't have family names at all, or have a clan name, etc.

Have fun! ;)
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

81 Reviews

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:31 pm
Lael says...

Kang Hyun Woo, Magistrate of Yiseo County, Korea, East Empire|Yiseo County

"Welcome back, sir!" A new guard standing in front of Father's house bowed deeply.

I nodded slightly to him. "Hong, was it?"

The young man started, and glanced up with surprise. "What? Uh--yes, Young Master."

I gave him a small smile and patted him on the shoulder. "Work hard," I told him, and entered the gates into the courtyard. As I walked around to the back, where my room was, a voice called my name.

"Hyun Woo!"

I turned and smiled--this time, one that really reached my eyes. I bowed. "Father."

My adoptive father, Yi Joon, stepped forward with a laugh. "You're back from training already? You barely broke a sweat."

I grinned, feeling my clothes sticking to my skin, and I brushed some wet strands of hair off my face. "I didn't go so hard today. We're serving a free meal for the poor later."

"Ah," he said, nodding with approval. "That's right."

"But . . . that's not the only reason. I--I went to visit him."

Both of us knew what I meant. Father's eyes clouded with pain. "It's hard, isn't it?" he murmured, looking into my eyes with nothing but a sad compassion.

I dropped my gaze first, instead staring down at the familiar sword in my left hand. "My burden couldn't possibly be worse than yours or In Ah's. It's my fault that Dae Young isn't here anymore."

"Don't say that!" Father placed a hand on my shoulder. "I don't blame you, and I know that he doesn't, either. And In Ah . . . I believe she will understand, too, in time. But I wouldn't change anything that happened, even though I miss Dae Young very much. I wouldn't have met you if things hadn't turned out the way they did. And what would have happened to you? You could have been dead yourself!" His voice grew quieter and gentler as he must have noticed the silent tears welling in my eyes. "How about we go visit him later? Me, you, and In Ah, together."

I nodded, for fear that my composure would break if I spoke. Father smiled softly again.

"Okay. Now get changed. The people are waiting for you."

"Thank you so much, sir!" A worn, elderly man beamed from ear to ear and bowed deeply, clutching the gourd bowl full of gruel close to his chest. I couldn't help but smile.

"Please eat it well," I told him, and he scurried away to sit down and eat. Then my smile faded a little. Even after these years that I had been magistrate, the people still never had enough. Yes, things had improved, but would never, never, be enough, with the counties all around Yiseo still saturated with corruption.

"Sir, Miss In Ah is here," a soldier said. I glanced up to see the short, slight figure of my adopted sister stepping gracefully through the crowd, followed by several carts of rice bags pulled by some of Father's men.

"In Ah," I said, swallowing as she met my eyes coldly.

"Magistrate Kang," she replied. "Father sent these rice bags for the people."

"O-oh, I see," I said, scanning over the large straw packages in the carts. "Please thank him for me."

My adopted sister let out a huff of scorn. "I will be leaving, then. Goodbye." She turned to leave.

"Wait! I'll accompany you to the entrance," I said, stepping forward. In Ah's look of disgust deepened.

"Don't bother, sir," she said. "I'll be perfectly fine on my own."

"In Ah," I pleaded. "I just want you to be safe."

Her eyes flashed like brown flames. "Do you really? When did you ever care for Dae Young's safety?"

My voice left me, and I could only stare at her. She laughed mirthlessly. "You think you can trick everyone into believing you changed? You may have deceived Father, but I will never forgive you, and I'll certainly never forget what you did to my family."

My blurring vision didn't leave her as she turned on me with a flounce and quickly made her way out of the gates.

"Uh . . . sir?" The soldier from before approached cautiously. "Are you all right?"

I blinked rapidly to clear my eyes. "Yes," I said with a sigh. "I'm fine."

I only wish that she would forgive me and accept me as her brother, but she's not wrong for hating me all this time.

I banished the horrible memory of a dying Dae Young and my own screaming sobs, begging my friend to live, as soon as it emerged from the depths of my mind.

As I walked back home, I couldn't help but stop in the marketplace, in front of a stall with shining hairpins and combs, ribbons and rings. I couldn't help seeing two well-dressed people, a young man and a young lady, admiring the wares. By their clothing, they weren't from the surrounding areas, let alone from the Korean province. They must have come from China.

"How about this one?" the young man said in Chinese, picking up a butterfly pin and holding it up to his companion's hair.

"Brother, I don't need this!" the girl said, taking the ornament and placing it back down. "You always give me so many things."

The young man took her small hands in his. "Can an older brother not give his little sister a present before a long journey? I know you want things to be simple, but I want to get you something, a reminder of me."

A smile spread across the girl's face. "I would never forget you, Brother."

"Well, how about this one then?" Her brother picked up a carved, green jade ring. "It's simple, and it's pretty. You can't stop me from getting you something."

It felt as though a little piece of myself broke away and went to the Chinese siblings, and I wished that In Ah and I could become that close one day. Yes, we weren't blood siblings, but no one knew how badly I wanted to be accepted by her.

I didn't know when I had drifted forward, closer to the stall, but the owner finally noticed me hovering behind the two people and bowed hastily.

"Hello, Magistrate Kang," he said. I nodded and returned the greeting.

The pair turned and the man's eyes widened. "Kang?" he said, looking me up and down. "Jiang Xian Yu? Or," he said, switching to Korean with ease, "Kang Hyun Woo?"

"Kang Hyun Woo?" echoed his sister, gazing up at me with curious but wary eyes. "You are Kang Hyun Woo?" She, too, spoke in fluent Korean; they both were being polite, I assumed, but I had no idea that Chinese gentry had taken an interest in learning another state's dialect when their own language was the universal and official one.

"Yes," I said, nodding. "Welcome to Yiseo County. Would you accept my invitation to tea?" The words were out before I really registered what had happened.

"Ah, I've heard so much about the tea grown around here," said the young man with a smile. "We will gladly accept."

As I lead them into my office, I said, "Please, have a seat." I watched carefully as the older brother took the seat at the head of the table, as though it were habitual. I said nothing and took a different seat as a servant brought in small (handle-less, like all traditional East Asian cups) porcelain cups and a porcelain teapot.

The two both seemed to subtly inhale as the steam rose up from the pot, as if they were tea connoisseurs. And they both smiled at each other.

"It smells wonderful," said the young man. "It's very well done."

"Thank you," I said with a small, hospitable smile.

"I think it smells even better than the gold tea at home," murmured the girl to her brother. Gold tea?

I studied the two as they sipped their tea. Their skin was pale--paler than even the that of the most vain local noblewomen--as though they didn't go in the sun nearly at all. Besides that, they both carried themselves with a subtle air of nobility. It was the sight of a well hidden but still partially showing dragon embroidered with gold thread on the man's white inner collar that confirmed my suspicions.

Quickly I stood and got down on my knees.

"What are you doing?" he asked. But he knew.

"Allow me to show my proper respects to Your Highnesses the Crown Prince and Princess," I said, keeping my head down.

"Please, stand up." Crown Prince Da Huang pulled me to my feet. "We are not here on ceremony. I'm surprised you found out who we were. I came because I had something to request of you."

Something to request of me? What could the Crown Prince of the nation have to ask of me? I wondered.

Princess Chun Yu--of whom I had heard so many good things--shot a surprised look at her brother. Obviously she didn't know his plans.

"You are aware that the Centennial is approaching," the Crown Prince said.

"Yes," I agreed. "Will you attend, Your Highness?"

"Actually, no," he answered, "Chun Yu is."

I turned to meet the princess' eyes. She held my gaze for a second and looked away nervously.

"So . . . what does that have to do with me?" I asked. My eyes narrowed, and a cynical smile appeared on my face. "You can't really be thinking of ordering me to protect her at the Gathering, are you?"

"I'm not ordering you," said the Crown Prince. "It is your choice. But as an older brother, I want my sister to be protected by the best, someone who knows their duty and will fulfill it."

"You think that person is me?" I said. "Ha!"

"I'm serious," he told me. "You have a younger sister yourself, do you not? I'm sure you understand my wish."

I hesitated.

"Please," he said. "If you travel to the Great Island for four months, I will make sure your county does not have to pay the extra taxes to the Crown, from now to when I become emperor until the day I die."

My mind was torn. Stay or leave? Leave or stay?

After a long, awkward silence with both of them staring at me, I raised my head and lifted my right fist to my chest.

"Kang Hyun Woo hears and accepts the Crown Prince's request," I said.

Four months on an island with people from all over the world. Four months away from the people I loved.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:59 pm
Desdemona says...

Mauryan Empress Rukhsana Iqra Khan -- Islamabad, Capital of the Mauryan Empire

She sat on her throne, surveying the court around her loftily as a girl fanned her. The topic of today’s discussion was whether the Empire should fund the formation of a new irrigation canal for the farmers. Of course, Rukhsana had already decided; she’d be funding it. She’d stop at nothing to increase crop yields.

Two people approached her soon, and gave her the details she already knew. With a nod and a benign smile, she nodded at them.

“I shall see. Court is suspended for today.”

With that, she got up. As if there were strings attached to her bodice, the men who were talking to each other all around stood up stiffly as well. Without giving anyone a glance, she walked, with her head held high and shoulders pushed back.

She made her way through her palace, surveying the beautiful gardens kept by her scores of gardeners. Today was Friday, the day of Allah. The gardens were open to children and families, who were frolicking around; picking flowers and playing tag. She allowed herself to smile and even wave at a little girl and her sister waving enthusiastically at her.

----------------------------

“Stop it, Iqroo, I’m tired!”

“Come on, Izzuu! We just got started with tag!”

“Just one minute, please? Get me a goblet of water.”

“Okay, but you gotta keep playing after, promise?”

“Promise.”

“Hey, Iqruu?”

“Yeah?”

“I love you, sister.”

----------------------------

She jolted, as if she had just woken from a terrible nightmare, and scurried away as fast as her lehenga choli allowed her. Why they made these things so bulky, she’d never know.

Or maybe she would; there was a good kilo of jewels on this one.
Even in the vicinity of her throne room, she was not alone. There were guards at her door, and at least three handmaidens waiting for her orders in a corner. Sometimes it was just awful to be Empress.

She beckoned a handmaiden over and informed her that she would be taking to her chambers and did not want to be disturbed. The handmaiden nodded.

In her chambers, she removed her shawl and stretched out on her bed, gazing at the ceiling which was dotted with constellations. In a few moments she was asleep.
She awoke later in her old chambers. How had she gotten here? It was supposed to be under lock and key. She woke up, calling for handmaidens from in front of her door. None came. What was the meaning of this?

She grabbed the door handle, pulled it open and screamed.

Because facing her was herself from 10 years back, clutching onto a goblet of water.

“Madam, Your Imperial Highness, please wake up!” called a voice as she jolted awake once more, gasping in terror.

“But the room! The goblet!” wheezed Iqra as she hung onto her handmaiden.

“It was just a lucid dream, your highness. You are safe and sound. This came for you now madam.” The maid said as she handed her an envelope.

With shaking hands, Iqra opened the sealed envelope. It seemed that she was invited to a peace conference with a few other leaders. There was France, China and Armenia. Armenia? She’d forgotten that country even existed. After a small chuckle she turned the page over to see the agenda.

“Dream Walking”

Her dreams weren’t just lucid after all.

Suddenly she got up.

“Pack my business style lehengas and sarees. I’ll be gone for about 4 weeks to a peace summit with world leaders.” She ordered to her handmaiden as she wrote a letter to be delivered to the court. She then handed it to her second favourite handmaiden.

“Court is suspended for 4 weeks. Any suspicious activity going on will be reported to me if you can’t handle it on your own.”

She also handed her a vial from old days, hiding it in her palm.

“Use it well.” She whispered to the terrified handmaiden as she floated out the room gracefully, with the first favourite scurrying along in her wake.
Excuse you, I'm your friggin' queen!

Don't take it too hard when you lose to me, I always win.

Spoiler! :
August 1, 2015 - April 21, 2016: BlackCatXx
April 21, 2016 -- Desdemona

81 Reviews

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:44 pm
Lael says...

Lin Chun Yu, Princess of the East Empire (China)|Palace of Eternal Serenity

My brother had asked a former assassin to protect me.

Sure, he was obviously a changed person. It had been apparent by all of the Yiseo people's love for him. But still . . .

I looked nervously up at him from behind the stacks of paper, books and scrolls on my desk, all official documents about things like tax revenue, problems in the Hai Province, and the Royal Scholars' latest revisions on a special book they had been writing on behalf of the Emperor.

My new guard stood close by to my left, with his eyes never wavering from an unknown spot on the wall opposite him. He no longer wore his magistrate uniform, but just the outfit of a typical, nondescript but wealthy warrior.

I shivered a little as I glanced at his scar. His overall appearance, minus that blemish, was quite--admittedly--handsome. But that one faded slash on his cheek was a whole story of his violent past. How was one supposed to know if he had truly changed? What made Brother trust him so easily?

My breath caught in my throat as his head turned toward me without warning and our eyes locked. I swallowed and looked down quickly, feeling my cheeks warm with embarrassment for staring, while starting to feel a chill go down my spine at the intense eyes of Jiang Xian Yu--No, I thought to myself, my training kicking in. Kang Hyun Woo. It's only polite to say it in Korean, even if . . . even if . . . My hands began to tremble.

Magistrate Kang came close to me and got down on both knees. I couldn't help but stare at the twin swords strapped to his back.

"What--what are you doing?" I stammered. I berated my nervousness inwardly. "P-please get up." No matter how scared of him I was, a principle had been pounded into me time and time again as I had grown up: a true leader must never think herself to be above treating her followers as equals. I got down and tried to pull him up (as I had seen my father and older brother do many times), but Magistrate Kang didn't budge. He only studied my face as we both knelt there on the ground.

I blinked and hastily focused on his thin nose instead of his eyes. "Please get up," I said, doing so myself as he did.

He took a step back and bowed deeply. "Please trust me, Princess."

"What? I--" I couldn't find any words.

Magistrate Kang bowed again. "Forgive me for my words. But I understand your suspicion. It is hard to gain people's trust when you were once an enemy." His the corner of his mouth quirked up mirthlessly, and for once, I saw something in his eyes. Sadness.

"Magistrate Kang . . ."

"But I will do my best to prove my loyalty, Your Highness," he continued. "I will protect you with my life, as His Highness the Crown Prince has ordered me to."

Suddenly, it felt as though I was able to release the breath I'd been holding in ever since we'd returned to the Imperial Palace. I took his right hand in both of mine and looked him in the eyes.

"Thank you, Magistrate Kang," I said, sincerely.

He nodded at me. "I am not a magistrate here. I am your bodyguard. Please address me like you would your other personal servants."

I opened my mouth to protest, but decided against it. "All right . . . Hyun Woo."

"Who are you?" a voice from outside yelled. "You can't come in here!"

I released Hyun Woo's hand. "What's going on out there?"

"Please stay here, Your Highness," said Hyun Woo. "I will go find out." With a bow, he turned and exited my office to the long hall outside. Undoubtedly, he was heading to the entrance of the building at the inner front courtyard of my palace now.

I could only wonder who was out there. And how did they get past the first group of guards?

Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow. Education is neither Eastern or Western; it is human.
— Malala