z

Young Writers Society

Children of the Dawn

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:33 pm
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

The monks scrambled to get out of the once serene chapel, crushing those who were too slow or unfortunate to be in their way. The two young monks ran passed the garden they had passed earlier, the flowers and trees that had up until then survived the wind bravely holding their ground.
The wind mangled the shouts and screams of the fleeing monks into sick cackles of syllables and letters, its howling call inciting the storm and the chaos.
Back in the solarium, the Grand Pontiff stood transfixed on the sky as the temple around him started to collapse under the force of the storm. His eyes belied his fear as he witnessed several arcs of flame slowly break away from the ring of light that stubbornly attempted to escape the eclipse.
As the ancient dome rushed to embrace the statuesque Pontiff, one last sentence escaped his aged beak.
“The Bleeding of the Sun has begun.”

The year is 276ASP (After Solotressean Pact). The realms of Valentya had recovered from the War of the Three Suns 275 years ago, and had even surpassed their former splendour. The three alliances had all but forgotten their quarrels, and magic flowed as freely as it ever has through the lands.
But not all is well in this realm. Biding its time in the shadows cast by the sun, a powerful force was growing. Some might say that it was allowed to grow as it did because of the ignorance of all but the most cynical individuals, but the truth was that it had been there for a very long time.
Then, on the first day of the 276th year, it struck, using ancient sorcery to cast its shadow over all of Valentya. As the mighty sun’s light waned from the land, so too did the peace that had once been present.
In those initial days, chaos swept across Valentya. Storms raged all along the coast, consuming small villages and ships in its white waves, and bashing the rest against the cliffs and walls of the great harbour cities. Fires raced through the Doorian forests and Folutine grasslands, driving all intelligent life before it. In the cold mountains and hills of the Mitaran Isles and the Ittulsean peninsula, biting blizzards brought with them frostbite and despair.
However, three months have passed since that dark day, and the storms (at least), have subsided. Many had perished under Nature’s objective fist, but many more still are now in danger from their own kind, as well as the shadows that caused this.
Whispers have been heard from the Elder Council of the aged Qitanni people that there might be a way to end the darkness that has come to the land. However, they had also cautioned that it would be unwise for any to attempt and reverse what can only be the vanguard for some much deadlier force…

Okay, so for those of you who don’t know yet, this is an epic fantasy-style SB, set in the magical realm of Valentya. However, unlike all my other SBs, where I have a fully fleshed-out plot, this one’s will work a bit differently. Above I gave the obvious end-goal for the SB (and the novel that will run parallel to this SB… but more on that in a minute): find a way to defeat the darkness. But this does not have to be the only objective you set out to accomplish.
Now, as I just mentioned, I will be writing a novel of the same name that will run parallel to the events of this SB (the first bit in italics is actually the end of the prologue ;-) ) I don’t have a definite plan for the novel’s plot thus far, and will let the SB’s development influence my individual storyline. Although it won’t necessarily have to, this also means that the novel’s events can influence your character’s plot, if you so desire.

This is usually the time when I start drowning you all in a massive lore, but this time, I have left most of the world in your hands (thus making this a fantasy sandbox in a sense) No cities have names, no leaders are predefined, and even the landscape, magical system, monetary system, cultures, etc is all open to be created and shaped by you guys.
I have predefined some noteable, playable races though (just to give the SB a foundation of sorts) Each is unique, so I would please like to see a diverse cast of races :D

Races

First, here’s the map so you can know where the races’ nations are. Note, these are only the main races, so other races are obviously also allowed (with the exception of Orcs… I want NO ORCS please…)

Spoiler! :
Vanertya.png

Doorians

They are a human race from the Kingdom of Door. They are exceptional marksmen with the bow, as well as skilled spear-wielders. They have a deep connect with forests, hence their kingdom engulfing the massive Forest of Door. The key feature that connects all Doorians is their hair, usually closely representing the colours of the forest (with some even colouring it with greens or the different colours of the seasons)

Salajines

They are an avian race from the mountain region of Salajine. They are extremely religious beings, each a devout follower of whatever deity, doctrine or concept they feel drives their daily lives. Unlike the Doorians, the Salajine are actually a collection of various sub-races of avian beings.

Fittoneans

They are a reptilian race from the nation of Fittonea, specifically the region of Fittonea Major. They are like the Salajines a collection of sub-races of reptilian races, from lizardmen to snake- or crocodile-people. They are fixated with the ocean and water, and are master sailors. Their society is also based on personal merit, meaning that their position is determined by their individual skill.

Fittani

They are an amphibian race from the independent region of Fittonea Minor. They are identical to the Fittoneans in personality and characteristics, but became independent from the main nation during the War of the Three Suns, aligning themselves with the Qittani instead of the Higgasians. (There is till this day a deeply rooted mistrust between the Fittani and the Fittoneans)

Higgasians

They are an aquatic race from the Higgasian Republic. They are an ancient race, with strong ties to the rising sun and the ocean, and their magic is also very ancient. They were the leaders of the Higgasian League during the War of the Three Suns.

Perons/Peroni

They are a human race from the Peronitus Argentum Peninsula, or just the Peronitus Peninsula. Many of them are born with silver hair, hence the Argentum part of their region. They are a very industrious and technological nation, specializing in gunpowder and machinery to assist in surviving the arid climate of the peninsula. Even though they know it exists, they refuse to acknowledge magic as a talent or gift and many shun individuals who use it.

Lemmarans

They are an elven race from the Lemmaran Empire. They are a combination of High and Wood elves, disputes of succession often breaking out between the leading families of both sub-races. They are strong trading partners with the Peroni, even though they do not share their partners’ views on magic.

Folutines

They are a collection of mammalian races in the Folutine region. They are very tribal in nature, divided into various smaller warlord regions (each warlord ruling over their specific sub-race, i.e lionmen, elephant-people, centaurs, etc), with one central leader administrating trade and other parts of society. They are masterful melee fighters, but also possess of agility, dexterity, and arcane aptitude.

Mitari

They are an elven race from the Mitaran Isles. They are (like the Lemmara), subdivided into Dark and Snow Elves, and have an ancient connection with snow and ice. Although largely unbound by rulers, the Mitari have a high regard for priests and healers, who serve as the quasi-leaders of each Mitari city or settlement.

Ittulseans

They are a Dwarven race from the Ittulsean Mountains. They are larger than their Ammerite brethren, some even reaching the lengths of Doorian teenagers. They are also more scientifically advanced than nearly all of the other races in Valentya (even surpassing the Peroni), and are excellent miners. However, unlike the Peroni, the Ittulseans regard magic as an honour and privileged talent, and are also governed by an elected Arch Mage and Arch Engineer.

Ammerites

They are a Dwarven race from the Ammerite Kingdom. They are excellent craftsmen and mages, their mundane and arcane wares cherished throughout Valentya. They are also surprisingly dextrous and sneaky, and are also infamous for their master thieves. Unlike their Ittulsean brethren, the Ammerites prefer a more simplistic lifestyle, and do not believe in industry and science.

Qittani

They are a Fungal race from the ancient and magical heartland of Qittanua. There origins are unknown, but they seem to be humanoid, sentient and bipedal fungi (mushrooms, etc) They take many shapes, colours and forms, and are extremely magical. They are also ruled by the Qittani Elder Council, a mystical group of extreme magical potency. They were the leaders of the Heartland Triumvirate during the War of the Three Suns.

Klureans

They are a Grey Goblin race from the Old Klurean Empire. They are ruthless fighters, with both the sword and the spell. They are known for their leathery grey skins and pale eyes, as well as their obsession with length. To them, being tall is a curse, and the shorter the individual, the more respect he or she deserves.

Klutes

They are a Brown Goblin race from the New Klurean States. They were originally a minority under the Klureans, until the War of the Three Suns, when they were liberated with the assistance of the Doorians and the Salajines. They are shrewd talkers, gold and information two things they covet more than anything else. They are administrated by the Guild Commission, a council made up of the leaders of all the various guilds.

Duskmen (or -women)

They are a semi-ethereal race from the Isles of Dusk. They range from pure ghosts to half-ghosts, vampires or Unliving, individuals who were kept alive through curses or powerful magic. (not zombies, those are undead) They are not evil, as many are wont to believe, and can be seen walking freely in the cities where they have embassies. They are ruled by the most powerful (in magic or might) individual in the Isles, a tournament held ever century to determine the leader. They were the leaders of the Five Pointed Allegiance during the War of the Three Suns.

Here follows the map of the three factions after the WotTS, just to clarify that:

Spoiler! :
The War of the Three Suns.png

Key:
Red- Higgasian League
Greyish Blue- Heartland Triumvirate
Purple- Five Pointed Allegiance

Character Profile:

There are 8 spots available, but feel free to create NPCs (including a profile for them, if you plan on having them around for a while)

Spot 1: Ivy Woodward (Doorian) (@TheIllusiveIntellect)
Spot 2: Sevv the Quiet (Duskman) (@StupidSoup)
Spot 3: Open
Spot 4: Open
Spot 5: Open
Spot 6: Open
Spot 7: Open
Spot 8: Open

Please use the template down below for your profiles ;-)
Code: Select all
[u]Name:[/u]
[u]Race:[/u]
[u]Gender:[/u]
[u]Age:[/u]

[u]Personality:[/u] (include habits and pet peeves if you want)

[u]Appearance:[/u] (I will provide examples of how Qittani might look in the DT, please include attire)

[u]Backstory:[/u]

[u]Skills:[/u]

[u]Random Question:[/u] (Optional: What would the first thing be you’d do if the world was starting to end?)

There you go! I’ll see you guys in the DT for more info and discussion.
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

Excuse me I have never *lied* about a character I just don't tell the truth
— AceassinOfTheMoon