The Island

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Thu May 19, 2016 10:48 pm
TakeThatYouFiend says...

The Island

Overview
Spoiler! :
One A.M, Summer, 2005, and, somewhere in the Atlantic ocean, a small cruse ship is in trouble. Really it shouldn't be out there at all, it had supposedly been decommissioned, but, y'know, these small companies are always cutting corners just to stay afloat*.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, shipwreck. Screams, icy cold water, and far too few lifeboats. Two, in fact, and you didn't get them.
The storybook begins as the player characters slowly regain consciousness on the island's many beaches.

The Island Itself
Spoiler! :
The climate type is Marine West Coast, in other words, approximately similar to England or much of Europe. This said, it is Summer, and, as you have already encountered one storm, you should be okay in terms of weather, for a few days at least.
Generally, in terms of survival, the conditions are ideal. None of those nasty jungle creatures, and a good few fresh water streams and the like. The challenge of the storybook should come from the characters.
On the map, a contour line indicates a rise of 30 metres, meaning the largest hill is just under 1000 ft, or half the height of a mountain. I have tried to indicate, broadly speaking, two different forest types, with the different drawing styles.
I intend to update this image once I get a high quality scan.
EDIT: And here it is. I decided to leave the original too though.

The Characters
Spoiler! :
Okay, so this is were the storybook should get interesting. If the characters for this SB were all heroes, or the generic protagonist type, they would work cooperatively, survival would be easy, and the storybook would be boring. No, I don't want heroes, I want real people. The sort of people you would normally have as NPCs, IT professionals, consultants, junior mechanics, the lot. I am not going to post a definitive character sheet, but here are a few things to consider when making your character.
1-I want a lot of detail. And I mean a lot. How's their family life? Past experience of relationships? Are they a fussy eater? What music do they listen to? I want a good idea of their personality, and it takes more than just a paragraph or two to get that across.
2-They were travelling on a budget cruse ship. Realistically, this already rules out people like that Doctor you were planning on making, because they actually could afford a better holiday.
3-I want flaws. Given the island is pretty friendly when it comes to survival, the problems should arise from the characters. Perhaps they like being a leader too much, or they hate getting dirty, or they are too dependent on other people for self worth.
Here are a few links that may help you in your character creation:
http://www.writersdigest.com/writing-ar ... -a-feeling
http://fuckyeahcharacterdevelopment.tum ... r-creation
http://www.epiguide.com/ep101/writing/charchart.html
Finally, if you would like, (I would like,) you could also submit an NPC character. Anyone could write about them, and, most importantly, they are possible to kill off.

The End
Spoiler! :
The storybook will probably end after 2 weeks to a month of in game play time, when the characters are rescued. Depends how it goes.

I shall update this first post when I can be arsed frequently, however, this should be enough information to see if there is any interest. :)

*Pun very much intended.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

you should no this
— Hijinks