z

Young Writers Society

Until Spring Comes

Reviews: 0
Sat May 07, 2016 12:25 am
TheForgottenKing says...

Takeda

I finally reached where the San Francisco base was located after four days on the tundra. I had managed to avoid any settlements or Survivalists, making my across the plains quickly, my wolves never missing a beat. Very soon I was led by some armed guards, and directed too the main part of the city.

Our two Fortresses never had much contact with each other, as everyone seemed to watch me curiously, as if I was some sort of a anomaly. I found myself face to face with my host, a girl about my same age, thin and wiry such as myself, and she carried a sense of confidence around her as she studied me.

"If you would like, you are allowed to take some time to rest, or we can begin your tour of San Francisco. Whichever you choose.”

I was snapped out of my train of thought at her voice. I cleared my throat." Just take me to my quarters please. I need to stow away my gear." She smiled at me, nodding." Well alright."

I followed her through the winding streets, curiously watching everyone around me, making mental notes about the area, begining to memorize my routes. Soon I was in my own room, and I began to place my things in neat order, starting with my clothes, than my weaponry. Lara watched me curiously as I began to remove all my weapons from around me. My bow and quiver, my blades, and a pair of ice picks, useful for climbing mountains or... Other uses.

"You carry a lot of weapons." She finally commented, than looked embarrassed as if she shouldn't speak outright to strangers. I smiled." I spent two years out in the tundra by myself, learning the ways of the beasts, where to forage and hunt, and most importantly, all the ways to kill." I placed my swords around my waist in an easy to reach them as I bowed to her. "Now, show me your Fortress, than I must meet with Ranger Darly." She nodded as she lead the way.

~

After the visit to the community kitchen, I was led to the training grounds. I watched as the regular foot soldiers opened round upon round of ammunition into straw dummies. I turned to Lara." Shouldn't you be conserving ammo?" She shrugged." Theyre shooting blanks for practice, but when we really need them, we give them the live ammunition."

"What's their hand to hand like?" She gave me a blank look. I shuddered." Please don't tell me they don't know how to fight hand to hand." She stuttered for a second." Our Elites get most of the hand to hand training, but of course our foot soldiers get some hand to hand combat." I made a face, chuckling to myself." What happens when you run out of ammo? When the enemy breaks through into the city. Those people out there, they've rarely used firearms, and they've been learning melee combat since they were old enough to lift a knife."

I realized that everything has gone silent as I turned to the soldiers. Some seemed offended, the more greener ones a bit frightened. I turned to a soldier." Drop your weapon and fight me now." His eyes shot back and forth between me and his C.O, who nodded reluctantly. He put down his rifle, and brought his fists up. He was down in another second gasping for air. I shook my head." Pathetic."

I turned to Lara." Whoever is in charge of the military, they need to teach melee. Otherwise Survivalists will break through, and slaughter everyone." I helped the soldier up. After dusting him off, I turned to Lara." Well, what's next on the tour?" She nodded and turned away, me following politely after.

The hospital was in a flurry and a rush. Lara made a face and turned to me." I need to see what's going on here. Please wait here, and I'll return to you shortly." She marched off to get to the bottom of this. I heard a wail coming from one of the rooms, and curiosity got the best of me. I silently entered the room and looked inside. A young man was being attending to by a doctor who turned towards me.

"Well don't just stand there boy, either hold him down or get the hell out!!" She snapped. Hiding a smirk I quickly approached the wailing man, as the doctor attempted to stitch up his side. Blood was everywhere as I applied force to his chest, not letting him move. His arms beat at my sides in attempt to stop the doctor from stitching his side." Hold him down damn it!" She ordered. I applied even more pressure, trapping the boys arms, as he passed out.

"Thank you young man." The doctor sighed. She finished the stitches, moving the bloody rags away. She glanced curiously at my swords." They let an armed visitor into the hospital?" She asked curiously. I smiled and bowed." I believe greetings are in order. I am First Ranger Takeda Arashikage from Hong Kong."

Her eyes seemed to widen." Oh my god you're a First Ranger? I didn't think... Well I didn't mean to order you around like that sir. I apologize." I laughed out loud." I believe when it comes to the battlefield, there is on such thing as ranks, only doctors get to order people around." She smiled, blushing a bit." Well, I'm Lucy. It's a pleasure to meet you." She giggled. I than realized... Was she flirting with me??

I turned around at the sound of a clearing throat, coming face to face with Lara, who's eyes were snapping from me to Lucy than back." Everything all right Ranger?" She asked. I nodded." I was just helping Dr. Lucy with her patient." Lucy nodded vigorously." He was a great help!" She said, before quickly making her escape. I approached Lara." What happened here??"
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Sat May 07, 2016 3:06 am
Craz says...

| Solo Black | Somewhere in the Underground |

"Hello... Miss Black. How are you feeling today?"

The bruise blooming on her cheek throbbed with her heartbeat.

"You seem to be tired. Would you rather go down and rest for a bit longer?"

Solo's eyes, still yet to adjust completely from the unmitigated blackness of the Underground's cells to the white glare of the interrogation room, watched the man in front of her.

"Would you like some water, then?"

Her throat had rubbed against itself until it was a consistent blur of raw pain, and her tongue felt fat and sloppy in her mouth, her gums clammy.

"Water will make talking feel better."

Solo did not want any water.

After a pause, the man sighed. "You're going to talk eventually. Lest I remind you of Mr. Black, who is probably wondering where you are. Strange, though, that he hasn't instated a missing persons report yet."

Solo's jaw tightened.

"Ah! There we go! And all this time I thought I was just hallucinating you. Being underground all the time can do that to you, you know."

Her expression remained impassive, the tightening of her jaw swiftly tucked away. She continued to watch the man, scarcely allowing herself to blink, to breathe. He smiled, all false warmth and cold scrutiny in those flat, soulless eyes.

"Okay, Miss Black, I'm going to be frank with you, since you seem to be a smart girl though honestly your lack of speaking can go either way. You are guilty of theft from a government official, theft of government property, and resisting arrest. I'm going to have a shot in the dark and guess that you probably didn't know what you were stealing, hmm? Well, you should probably work on that if you plan on making thievery into a career. Anyways, you have quite the odds against you if you decide to take this to the court, since there was about, oh I don't know, one-hundred-and-o-nine people present as witnesses? But who am I to say? "

He paused, as if expecting Solo to object. When she didn't, he continued.

"Well, I know there were one-hundred-and-o-nine people present because I have the papers that say that there were, right here." He held a slim file into the air, then let it lightly slap onto the cement desk. "Anyways, you're looking at maybe (most definitely) twenty years minimum. No one will be home to take care of daddy anymore for a long, long time."

Solo continued to look at him, though her expression had shifted to something slightly more desperate, slightly more wild. Her mouth tightened imperceptibly.

"Woah, there, calm down. You, my dear, may just have the luck of the Irish because you're not in the doghouse just yet. It seems that you and I can both benefit from this situation."

Her bones stiffened with suspicion. Everything in her filled with dread.

"Your mother has something that we want. And nothing can be more convincing than a daughter's plea for help."

This time, Solo couldn't completely school herself into cool disinterest. She flinched and bitingly replied, "I haven't had contact with her since she disappeared."

"And that is exactly why you'll be following our Elite team into the wilds."

She stared at him in disbelief, her expression bordering on a mixture of horror and dread. The impossibilities, the technicalities, her dream of the frozen landscape all jumbled and fought for attention in her head. And in all of it stood the still image of her mother, braids in her hair, her face a blur of creased lines and a thin, severe mouth that was neither unforgiving or welcoming.

She could barely remember what she looked like. And after nearly ten years, it was impossible if she even looked the same.

If she was even still alive.

"What if I can't find her? What if she's dead?" Her voice was sharp and brutal, refusing to quench the hatred she felt for the man.

"Mrs. Black, is how I say, an optional bonus. You only need to return what she stole in one piece."

Silence weighed down between them.

"And if you even think about making a run for it," he added lightheartedly, "there will be an Elite, watching you, who will be there to ensure that your betrayal is treated justly. And your father will remain here, completely taken care of by our good will, so don't you worry about him. I bet he'll be eager to see you when you return, and then both of you can live happily ever after, criminal-record free."

His smile was as slick as oil, and as black and as festering as murder. Solo understood the implications and that they both knew that she had no true choice. She wilted in upon herself, the unattainability of her task pressing down upon her shoulders, the swelling guilt of her father's life being gambled so blithely digging accusatory fingers into her back.

This is your fault, she thought, you brought this upon yourself, and now you and dad are paying for it. She lowered her head into her cuffed hands.

"Well then," the man said, "let me be the first to congratulate you on your acceptance into the Elites, Miss Black."
"we'll fasten it with some safety pins and tape and a dream, and you're good to go, honey."

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Thu May 19, 2016 9:03 pm
HazelGrace16 says...

Lara Jones

“What happened here?” He looked concerned, but cold on the surface. My face went warm, and my hands slightly trembled. I was not used to being the one with answers. I took a deep breath collecting myself.

People I know are dying..People I knew are dead..

“One of our higher Elite groups were attacked in a raid for supplies…” I looked down slightly, and his eyes widened. Not with surprise, but with a sense of anger. “Only a few are dead, but mostly all are injured.”

“I am sorry for your losses.” I nodded silently. He sighed. “How did this happen?”

“Injuries would suggest the creatures…Must have been a surprise. None of them were ready for battle.”

“Those damn creatures intelligence is increasing.”

“Exactly.” I agreed. People were rushing all around us, and I gestured him forward. “Let's move along now. There is not much we can do standing in everyone's way. I will take you back to the quarters so you can rest.” I was in no mood to argue with him, even though his face suggested protest. After a moment he nodded in agreement, taking a moment to watch my face. I tucked away any urge to cry, or get angry. I walked quickly past him letting him follow me out of the chaos.

To be a good leader, is to be fearless when everyone else is fearful.

I returned Ranger Takeda back to the apartment where I showed him his room. “Feel free to make yourself at home. You will have access to anything you need, as well as clearance to see your animals anytime during the allotted hours. Feel free to comm me if you have any questions or needs.” I hand him the small silver comm my father gave to me to pass on to him. He accepted it with a slight smile.

“Thank you for your kindness. If I may ask...Where are you going?” I was surprised at his question, and I smoothed my hands against my worn pants.

“I am going to see my father. I am sorry. I know you visiting with him soon is imperative. I can guarantee you will have time to speak to him tonight, but for now I please ask you to stay here.”

“I am here on duty miss Jones and-”

“I understand and I know I shouldn't interrupt you, but I am asking a favor. Please rest. You have had a long journey, and I do not want you to not speak with my father until his attention will be completely on your arrival. He may be a good leader..but he is still a man. And this tragedy will surely distract him as of right now. Please…” I pleaded. He took a step towards me. He was tall and he stood above me, but I didn’t let that make me shrink.

“In the future I suggest you watch your tone with officials…” He then took a step back with a sigh. “But at the same time, I appreciate your intentions. I will wait…”

“Thank you.” I said quietly. I backed away grabbing my bag, and before I knew it I was running down the street towards the main government building.

------------------------------------------

“I wish to speak with my father.” The secretary at the desk looked at me through the top of her glasses.

“Miss Jones. I apologize, but he is in a meeting with one of his officials. They are planning the report that will be published tonight regarding the recent attacks. You may wait, but I don’t know how long you will wait.” She looks down sympathizing with me. I know she has a nephew on one of the Elite teams. She shouldn’t be working right now. “I know everyone is on edge right now, but take a moment to breathe and be patient.” I stand there a moment, but I nod in agreement making my way to the waiting section of the lobby. I’m not even sitting for a minute before one of my father's officials comes bursting out the door with an anger filled expression.

Timidly I make my way towards the door. When I enter he is pinching the bridge of his nose. His eyes are dark and tired, and his fingers tremble with stress. When he eventually sees me his expression seems to fall more even though he smiles.

“Lara, my daughter, what are you doing here?” I stay silent. “I assume you heard the news.” I walked towards him.

“What happened?”

“Never mind that Lara. I have work to do.” He puts his glasses on looking away from me.

“No!” He looks up slightly shocked. “I said...Tell me what's going on.”

“Headstrong..I wonder where you get it.” He spits sarcastically. “It’s what everyone has been saying Lara. We were attacked by the creatures. What's done is done. I need to get back to preparing for the Elite announcements tomorrow, as well as the living situations.”

“How could you possibly think that’s what would be good for our people right now? Shouldn’t we be mourning? Taking a breather? Creating more Elite to go out into that wilderness seems like a counterproductive idea.”

“We are creating more Elite to prepare us for what's coming Lara. If reports are correct the intelligence is increasing in the creatures, and the craving for human flesh is becoming greater. Great enough they will take risks like coming close to the base. Too close for comfort.” I took a step back. He stood his anger and frustration becoming greater. “You will be chosen as one of the Elite tomorrow, and I know I’ve prepared you to do this. To lead. And I will not have my daughter be weak. We as leaders do not have time to mourn. Yes, we lost people we knew. People we cared about, but that can’t matter right now. All that matters right now is preparing the new Elite operatives team. You will be transferred to the new living quarters 2 days from now, and I will not hear a complaint from you. Are we clear? You were not born to be your own person Lara. This is your life, and you will fight!” I stare at him in a moment in silence.

“I said are we clear!”

“Sir yes sir!” I say. His face softens slightly, and he falls back into his chair with a sigh.

“Go home Lara...Just go home.” Without another word I turn quickly escaping his office. Once I reached the street I couldn’t help it, but I felt tears fall from my eyes. I quickly wiped them away as quickly as they fell.

I knew who I was. I knew what the future had in store for me.

I made it home, and I slammed the door shut. My mother would not be home yet, but I was still surprised when I saw Ranger Takeda sitting at the counter with a sandwich in his hands.

“Sorry.” I said suddenly embarrassed that I slammed the door. He swallowed his bite.

“Why are you sorry? It appears I startled you more.” He looked down at his sandwich. “Sorry. I saw the food in the fridge, and-”

“It's okay. I meant it when I said make yourself at home.” He chuckled slightly.

“You’ve really got a thing for interrupting me don't you?”

“Oh Sorry...Uh anyways I will head to bed. I don’t think you’ll be able to talk to my father until tomorrow. It will be a long night for him.” He nods in understanding.

"Being a leader will never be an easy thing. All you can hope to do is do the best you can for your people. No one is ever sure they'll be a good leader."

"No. No they don't." I turn away from him feeling my stomach drop again.

“Goodnight then Miss Jones.” He says politely.

“Goodnight.” I slightly wave walking down the hall away from kitchen.

Away from tomorrow.

Spoiler! :
@TheForgottonKing Let me know if I should change anything! I know I had him speak quite a bit, but I hope he would do that in respectful situations.
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Fri May 27, 2016 4:22 pm
Lael says...

Jenna Chang

I quietly slipped into the hospital in the dimness of early morning. I searched the rows of beds, trying to find my sister's dark-haired head among the others of the Alpha Team.

There. There she was.

"Kris," I whispered, walking towards the other side of the room. But I stopped when someone made a groaning noise and a head appeared from behind Kris' bed.

He stood, rubbing his face wearily, then his eyes fell on me.

The young man was very tall, probably a foot taller than me. He was Asian, like me. He looked worn out, but his eyes were gentle. Who was he? I felt as though I had seen him before. And what was he doing in the hospital at this hour, and by my sister of all people?

"Hello," he whispered as he approached, and he bowed slightly. Weird.

"Who are you?" I whispered. At that moment, I caught sight of the little card pinned to his coat--Seung Min, Medic.

"I'm Seung," he replied, the name coming off his tongue like a musical note. "I was treating your sister earlier."

"You did?" I felt my face turning a little red in the dark at the thought that this stranger had seen me crying. But my thoughts soon shifted. "Wait--how do you know who I am?"

"Let's go outside," was his answer. "I don't want the patients to wake up." He walked past me, winding a long, thick scarf around his neck as he went.

"Okay, so how do you know me?" I asked again when he had shut the door behind me.

"Who wouldn't know you?" he said, and I realized that he had a slight accent. "You are a child of two base leaders, and you and your siblings are considered geniuses. Why would I not know who you are?"

"Oh, well," I began. I had never thought of how my parents' status would make me well known as well.

"You're very lucky," the medic said. He glanced down, shoving his hands into his pockets. "It must be nice to have both of your parents."

"Uh . . . thanks, I guess." I shuffled my foot. "What about you? Are you--"

"My real parents are dead," he said. "I don't really like to talk about it."

"Oh. I--I'm sorry."

"But Madam Davis adopted me just a few days ago," said Seung. I watched a small smile grow on his face and fondness fill his eyes.

"Madam Davis? Cora Davis? The leader of the medics? That Madam Davis?" I pictured the flame-haired woman and her seemingly permanent stern expression.

"She's the only one," Seung replied, his eyes shining with amusement.

"But she's so--"

"She's really not all that strict, once you get to know her. She has a good heart. She even adopted me, when I came from out--" Suddenly, he broke off, casting a strange glance at me. Embarrassment? What for?

"Oh," I said, pretending not to notice. "I suppose she is nice, after all."

"You--you wanted to see your sister, right?" Seung rubbed the ends of his scarf between his fingers. "You can see her now, before the other medics get here. I'll keep watch for you. Just try to keep it short and quiet."

"Thank you," I whispered. As I pushed the door open, I paused. "But why were you still here all night anyways? Wouldn't you be at home with Ma--I mean, your mother?"

Seung smiled. "Mom knows where I am. I wanted to make sure my patient was all right. I know that she is missed at home."

I smiled a little too, and was about to go inside when he said, "Wait! I don't know your name."

"I thought you knew me," I replied, laughing softly.

He shrugged, glancing down at his scarf. "I knew who you were, not your name."

"Well, Seung, I'm Jenna. It was nice meeting you."

Gratefulness filled me for him, for helping me to forget about my problems for just a little while.
Last edited by Lael on Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Fri May 27, 2016 8:27 pm
Poopsie says...

Noon found Leon skirting across mountainsides looking for any signs of the fallen team he'd been dispatched to find. Intel said they'd be near his location, but he hadn't found any of them. He considered contacting command again, but decided against it. To be honest this was the first time he'd been out of the strong hold in a long time. The cold wind felt good against his face, and the smell of fresh pines reminded him of a time when he'd lived outside of the strongholds. He couldn't say he didn't look back on those times with happiness, but he felt being inside the stronghold had been safer.

"Leon....signal.......ahead."

Leon rolled his eyes at the crappy signal, but he got the message. Up until now, he hadn't really been trying to find the group, he'd been more wrapped up in memories of the wilderness and the smells he'd sorely missed.

Up ahead Leon spotted them. They were below him in a clearing. Pines surrounded them. Leon immediately radioed command.

"Looks like they were killed. What do you want me to do?"

A few minutes later.

Inspect......Track

Leon sighed. At least he could spend more time outside. Slowly, he began to pick his way down the mountain face. About an hour or so later Leon was at the bodies. At first glance they looked like they'd been killed by animals, but Leon had a great eye. These men had been murdered. Leon radioed the information back to command, then looked for tracks, sure enough, a line lead into the trees, drops of blood stained the path. Someone had killed something and carried it on a sled into the woods. Leon was sure of it, he'd done it himself.

Hey Leon.

Leon patched himself back in to the transmission.

''Ben?''

Yeah. Sorry about the connection issues. Stupid officials still don't know how to wire transmissions. Anyway, the execs changed their minds about tracking the creatures that killed the elite squad. Field ready soldiers must report back to the stronghold by the break of dawn tomorrow at the latest.

Leon sighed.

''Just when I thought i'd finally be able to spend some time out here.''

Yeah I know, but tough luck wild boy. Humanity comes first.

''Somehow I feel myself disagreeing.''

Ben laughed.

Very funny. Alright bud, I gotta go, and if don't see you by tomorrow...

He trailed off, Leon smiled.

''I'll be there. Wouldn't want to miss the terrified look on the newbies's faces when they get picked.''

Leon turned off his mic, separating himself from the stronghold. In the distance, an owl soared over the treeline, signaling twilight. To anyone else, the outside was frightening. An abyss of murderous creatures out for blood, but to Leon, it was his first home. Leon frowned at the dying light, it meant he'd have to leave. With a sigh, he turned his back on home.
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:10 pm
Lael says...

Seung Min

When Jenna came out after a few minutes, her eyes looked a little red. I pretended not to notice.

She stopped in front of me. "Thank you so much," she said, extending her hand.

"Oh, I, um--You're welcome," I stammered. I wasn't used to people saying "thank you" very often. We shook hands. "If you ever, um, need anything, I'll see if I can help."

"Take care of Kris," said Jenna. "It's all I ask." She walked away, not looking back.

I went back inside the hospital, turning on the dimmer lights. A wave of drowsiness hit me. I shook my head and rubbed my eyes. I couldn't fall asleep now.

As I walked down the rows of beds, taking note of the patients' conditions, I saw Kris Chang sitting up in bed. I gasped and dashed over.

"What are you doing sitting up? You could strain your stiches like that!"

The elite cast me a look. "Don't order me around, medic. I know my limits." She returned her gaze to the invisible distance that no one else could see.

"Oh--okay." I knew it was useless to try to argue with her. As I walked away to continue my rounds, she called, "Wait."

I turned back to her. "Yes?"

"My father didn't tell me yesterday, so I want to know now. How is my team?"

I hesitated. Who knew what devastating news could do to her, in her state? I could see the love and devotion as well as the worry in her eyes for the Alpha Team. As leader, she was bound to feel responsible for what happened to her team.

Kris must have detected something in my face. Her expression changed and she looked down. "I see. Who was it? And were they . . . in a lot of pain?" Tears welled in her eyes.

I glanced down. "Th-three," I said. "Mary Aiken, Matthew Spencer, and Ethan Tomas. They weren't in pain for long."

Kris nodded, blinking rapidly.

"Look, I know I can't do much for you, but I'm really sorry," I said. "Perhaps if we'd been a little faster . . ."

"No," Kris replied, looked back up. "You medics did all you could for them and for us. They were brave and loyal, to the end. No elite leader could have asked for better comrades . . . and friends." She swiped at her eyes.

I nodded, not speaking. Still, the feeling that I could have done more for them gnawed at me. If only I hadn't gone home right after my shift . . .

"Hey . . . what's your name?" Kris' voice broke me out of my thoughts. "I mean, you obviously know my name, since I'm your patient." She chuckled a little, then winced and held her ribs. "I'm fine," she said, before I could do anything. "I've seen you around here sometimes. You helped me with a sprained wrist before."

"Oh, yeah, I did," I said, glad to be talking about something else. "I'm Seung."

"Seung," repeated Kris, and she smiles. "So you're the one who let my sister in to see me. That's really kind of you."

"Oh--thank you. It--It's nothing."

"Can I see you work?" she asked suddenly. "I can't stand just staying in bed."

"Your leg is broken," I said. She glared at me.

"I know that. Don't you have a wheelchair or something?"

I ended up getting a wheelchair for her. I pushed her around as I observed the patients, then she watched me sterilize surgical instruments and other hospital supplies.

"You, nameless bird in the sky, why are you wailing so sadly?" I sang quietly as I worked. "You can't find where wildflowers have fallen anyway."

"What are you singing?" asked Kris. "It sounds really sad."

"Oh, um, it's a song my parents taught me," I said. "It's in Korean. It's about suffering that the people face."

We both turned when we heard the door open.

"Hi Mom," I called.

"Hello Seung. Hello Kris, I'm glad that you feel well enough to be out of bed," Mom said. "I hope that you are being careful with those ribs of yours."

Kris looked from me to my mom. "Madam Davis is your mother? But I thought that you're Korean."

"I adopted him," Mom told her, smiling proudly. Kris' mouth fell open slightly, but she quickly snapped it shut.

"Seung, I need to see you for a second," continued Mom.

"O-okay," I said, steering Kris to a bright spot near the door before following my mom to the back. "What is it?"

"I need you to listen very carefully," she said. I had to strain to hear what she was saying. "This is important, and involves this base's survival."

I nodded, feeling apprehension growing in me.

"The other leaders are choosing a group of kids to form a new elite team," she said. Her expression grew darker. "And they chose you."

"What?" I whispered. "But--but they've never chosen a medic to be on an elite team before."

"I know," Mom replied, looking weary all of a sudden. "But they want you. It's that important, to have a medic. I can't tell you why right now, but I just wanted you to know ahead of time."

I stared down, unable to believe what I was hearing. The leaders wanted me to be on an elite team . . . and were going to make me go outside, to the cold, cold snow, where--I shuddered, closing my eyes.

"Seung," Mom said, "If you can't do it, I'll tell them. I won't let them pick you if it's too hard."

I shook my head, straightening. "No," I answered. "People are dying now. People are losing the ones they love." I glanced at Kris and thought of Jenna's tears and of their parents' weary but determined eyes. "I can't let families be torn apart."

Mom nodded. "I'm proud, Seung. When the time comes, please be careful and come back safely. Take care of your comrades."

"Mom," I said, trying to smile at her, "I'm sure there's some time till then. We're not saying goodbye just yet."

Just then, I heard the door open again. I walked out to see who it was, and took in a lean, muscular guy with a hard expression, who seemed about my age and perhaps had some Asian blood. I had never seen him around before.

"I'm sorry, it's not visiting hours yet," I began, but I broke off when Kris suddenly said, "You're a First Ranger from Hong Kong, aren't you?"

She had straightened, holding herself up with an air of confidence. She made no efforts to hide that she was hurt--she was in a wheelchair and hospital clothes anyways--but she met the stranger's eyes with pride.

"Yes," he said with a neutral face. "Do you know me?"

"No," replied Kris with an equally neutral expression. "Your insignia tells me everything I need to know." She pointed at a tiny little pin on his collar. I glanced at it, but couldn't discern anything from it; it just looked like some fancy decoration to me.

"And you are?" he asked, studying Kris.

"Kris Chang, leader of the Alpha Team of the San Francisco base," she said. "And daughter of Sir and Madam Chang. Have you met them yet?"

"No, not yet," the stranger replied with obvious respect in his voice, "though I've heard of their skills."

Kris nodded, respect in her eyes as well. How strange it was that two strangers could bond over being some high-ranked agents of their bases.

"You know my name," Kris said. "Now you tell me yours."

"Takeda Arashikage," said the ranger.

Well, First Ranger from Hong Kong or not, this Takeda Arashikage wasn't allowed into the hospital at this time. I stepped forward to confront him, but my mom was faster.

"It's good that you two are having a nice talk, but Mr. Arashikage, there can be no exceptions for visitors. If you'd like, you can come back in a few hours," she said.

Takeda nodded. "I see."

Just then, another person burst through the doors. She, I recognized: Lara Jones, daughter of Sir Jones, the military leader.

"Ranger! I've been looking for you! Why did you go off by yourself?" Lara looked slightly worn underneath the confident air she had. Then she glanced at the rest of us. "Madam Davis, Kris." She just gave me a nod. But then, who would know me, when I was just adopted a few days ago?

"I'm really sorry," she said. "I didn't tell Ranger Arashikage the visiting hours for the hospital. We came by here yesterday and saw all of the chaos, so I'm sure that he was just concerned." She shot a glance at him. "Come on, we're leaving. My father is ready to see you."

"I apologize for any inconvenience," said the ranger. He turned to Kris. "I enjoyed speaking to you, Miss Chang."

"It's always nice to speak to agents from other bases," she replied cordially. She wheeled herself back towards the interior of the hospital, probably back to her bed. I'd have to go help her once these two left.

Lara seemed a little impatient to leave, and honestly, I was eager for them to leave too. Several of the patients were beginning to wake up, and most of the medics would arrive soon.

When the door shut behind them, Mom's words came back to me. Elite team . . .
Spoiler! :
@HazelGrace16 and @TheForgottenKing, I hope that Lara and Takeda were portrayed properly. Please tell me if anything needs to be changed.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

Love is not an emotion. Love is a promise.
— 12th Doctor