z

Young Writers Society

Darken Private Academy for the Supernatural

Reviews: 0
Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:29 pm
TheForgottenKing says...

Daemon Purson

I walked into the cafeteria with a yawn, covering my mouth. The benches were almost full, but some kids from Taurus made room for me, no doubt trying to get on my good side. Completely ignoring them, I found a place by Grace. Her eyes widened when she saw me." Good lord, did you get any sleep last night?" With a groan I shook my head." I'm taking three AP classes this year, as well as a few extra classes during free time. They're already issuing homework and quizzes and I was up studying and researching."

I rested my head on her shoulder. She patted my head comfortingly." Oh you poor widdle demon." She cooed. I made a face and she laughed." Grab some coffee." Nodding I made my way to the breakfast table, quickly getting some coffee. I was approached by Julian, the councilor who was in charge of recruiting new people for Taurus.

"Hey Dameon." He greeted cheerfully. I shot him a murderous look and he stumbled over the next few words." Um- we- well I have the list for the new recruits. Thought maybe you'd want to go over it." I rolled my eyes and glared at him." This is why I asked you to do this Julian. I don't really care about that stuff. It was someone's bright idea to elect me as leader for the past few years, and I still don't really care. No doubt you guys plan on doing it again. I only like planning the events. And attending them of course." He nodded and walked away, clutching the clipboard to himself, muttering about blondes.

"Jeez Daemon, I thought you were going to tear off the poor kid's head." Grace commented, biting into her toast as I took a sip of my morning perfection." Sleep equals happy demon who will play nice. No sleep equals demon who kinda wants to blow up the entire world and bring about the apocalypse. I am a prince of hell after all." I noticed Grace gazing at me." What?" I asked uncomfortably.

She blushed." I don't know. It's just hard to think of you as... That. You just seem so human. When you do have your sleep, your always so nice and kind. I mean, your still a sarcastic butt hole, but your a nice guy. Demon Prince of Hell just doesn't seem you." I smiled, touched at what she said." Grace, I think my stone cold heart may have softened just a bit. Perhaps I will rescue your soul from purgatory after all." She frowned." And I thought we were having a moment." She complained. Laughing I gave her a quick hug." We always have moments grace. It's part of the perks of being this good looking. Everyone has moments with you."

I heard someone clear their throat from behind. I turned to look at Michal, another counselor, and a demon as well. I turned to face him, sipping my coffee, attempting at being civil." Heya Daemon. Mind if I borrow you time?" He asked politely." You already did." Grace muttered under her breath. I smirked and gestured for Michal to continue. He spoke up." Anyways, as you know, the new recruits will be given the speech this Friday, and I've prepared one for you. Pretty inspiring and Taurus if I do say so my self." I cocked at my second in command." Are you sure you shouldn't have chosen Bloodbourne?" He grinned bash fully as Grace made a gagging motion. I kicked her underneath the table.

"Good work Michal. I'll look it over when I can. Just leave it on my laptop in my room." He nodded and left. I chuckled out loud. Grace looked at me curiously." My new roommate has an attack cat. And it likes to sit on my desk for some odd reason. Michal is so going to be mauled." I let out another laugh before standing up." Well, gotta get to my first class. See ya at lunch Grace." She waved at me as I sauntered off towards my doom, AP algebra.
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:32 am
HazelGrace16 says...

Grace Wilson

After breakfast I sauntered towards Mr. Arnold’s office. I had been meeting with him the past few months, and it's not exactly something I look forward to anymore. He analyzes me in the attempt for me to learn control. The sessions are fairly simple, but lately he has been more on edge and more frustrated towards me. I worry that he won't be able to help.

What would they do to me then?

I knock softly on the door, and I hear his muffled voice through the wood telling me to enter. I turn the knob, and walk into his fairly large office. He sits at his desk typing on a silver laptop, and his eyes are concentrating on the screen before him. It takes him a minute or so to look at me over the top of his glasses.

“Miss Wilson. I apologize. Please take a seat, and I’ll be with you in just a moment.” He finishes whatever he was working on, and closes the computer. She grabs his usual notepad, and black mug from the desk. “So how have your first few days back been?” He sits. I look up, and twiddle my thumbs nervously.

“It's been okay I guess. Um it's mainly consisted of catching up with old friends, and pointing out places for the new students.”

“I’m pleased to hear that.” He smiles, and opens his notepad. “So today we are going to continue our discussion we had last week. Do you remember where we left off?”

“Yes sir…” I look down at my hands as he goes through the routine. Question after question after question. Thousands of questions that I dont know how to answer. After 30 minutes of falling into the same routine I find myself drifting off into space.

“You’re scared.” Mr. Arnold says abruptly.

“What?” I ask jumping out of my spaciness. “No I’m not.”

“That, or you’re just thinking very hard.” He states.

“How could you possibly know that?”

“Your eyebrows are furrowed. They do that when you’re deep in thought. Plus your right thumb is bleeding, meaning you rubbed the cuticle raw from anxious behaviors.” She looks at him ashamed. “Plus there is that.” He points at the potted plant sitting on a small table behind her. It’s wilting at an excessive rate.

“Shoot.” I wave my hand over the small plant, and I watch as it quickly returns to its previous lucious state. “My bad.” She tries to play it off with a forced laugh, but he just stares at her. “Look Mr. Arnold, I promise I am working on the control. I just sometimes forget and then that releases it for a mind of its own.”

“What happens Miss Wilson when that-” He points to the plant. “becomes a human? What then? Do you really think the administration would be forgiving of that?”

“No.” I say looking down.

“Exactly that's why you must learn to control it. With a power like yours you can steal someone's life from them. You dont want that. We don’t want you to be a danger to yourself or others.”

“Why then?” He looks confused. “Why keep me here? If I am so dangerous why let me stay? Why not just kill me?”

“No, no, no. Don’t think like that Miss Wilson. We bring supernaturals to Darken to protect them. All of them.” He assures.

“You mean control them.” I say under my breath.

“What did you say?” He asks.

“Nothing.” I say. “Nothing at all.” He closes his notepad, and leans back in his chair.

“What are you afraid of Miss Wilson?” He asks curiously.

“I dont know. Spiders I guess.” I say picking at my fingernails. He laughs.

“You live in a world with demons, vampires, werewolves, and magic and your biggest fear is spiders?”

“...Yeah.”

“I do not believe you. Now tell me. Show me. What is your biggest fear? Go to that part of your mind and show me.”

“No.” I say abruptly. His eyes narrow.

“What do you want Miss Wilson?” He asks.

“Nothing.”

“Oh really.” He says.

“Yes. I dont need your help. I dont need to be haunted by my past to conquer my future okay? I just need to be left alone!” My hands shake.

“Anger. Burden. Darkness. Being alone. Even companionship….and the...dark. What strange fears you have.”

“Get out of my head.” She says her teeth grinding.

“I was never in it Miss Wilson. You gave me everything I needed to know just by that.” He points to the plant that is now completely wilted.

Beyond repair.

Beyond saving.

“Its very interesting to me how making someone feel powerful makes them truly vulnerable.” He laughs. “You see things you never thought you would see.” He says with a crooked smile. I feel myself shrink down. “Now, Miss Wilson. I really dont want to go in your head. So I need you to admit your fears.”

“No.” I say. He shakes his head.

“So be it…” Suddenly a sharp pain shoots through my head. I gasp as I suddenly feel myself be transported to a room I remember quite well. On the floor lays a shattered vase.

No…

Suddenly a man rushes through the door. His face remains blurry, but I still sense the fury in his eyes. He runs at me and slaps me straight across the face onto the floor. I feel the small flow of blood fall down my cheek like a tear. He then grabs me by the throat. I gasp for air, but my lungs refuse the relief. He slams me hard against the wall, and raises me off of the floor. I scratch at his arms, but it's no use. His grip remains strong. I want to scream. To run. But I’m helpless.

Completely helpless.

Suddenly the color begins to drain from the man's skin. He coughs, and falls to his knees releasing me. I clutch my throat and slowly stand back up. I watch as he groans in agony as his skin tightens to his bones, and blood begins to spill from his eyes, ears, mouth, and nose. My hands are shaking, and my face burns hot. I want to see him die. I want to feel his power. His energy is now mine.

His life is now mine.

The man lays lifeless on the floor, and I fall to my knees satisfied with what I’ve done. Happy with what I’ve done. I realize it is not real though, and I start crying realizing what I had done and felt, and I'm taken back to Mr. Arnolds office. Through my water filled eyes I see the shocked expression behind his eyes. I haven't had that memory in a long time, and I’ve long since tried to forget about it. I wipe my face. I look at my hand. It is smeared with dark makeup, and blood. The spot where I had been hit in my vision now remained on my face along with many scratch marks on my arms.

“Miss Wilson-”

“Dont.” I interrupt him. “I think that's enough for today.” I stand up and run out of the room. He yells after me, but I dont listen. I look out the windows and I see it is now dark. I must have been in my vision for hours. When it had only felt like minutes… On my way back to the dorms I run straight into a familiar face.

Daemon.

“Grace? What happened? Are you-” Realizing what a mess I must have looked like my face turned red. I ran past him ignoring his concerns. Even though curfew is soon I find myself running out into the woods.

No matter how long I run.

No matter how far I run.

You can’t outrun what you did, or who you are.

My knees buckle. I fall against the nearest tree. Sobs scream from my throat, and my body shakes furiously. I can’t breath, and I can't think. I want to scream for help, but I can’t. I look up to see the tree wilt along with the ground surrounding me.

It feels like hours before I finally fall asleep from exhaustion. I wake to the sound of the night, and footsteps walking up behind me.

Spoiler! :
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:33 pm
View Likes
LordZeus says...

Arthur Pendragon Patel

Arthur started planning the next stage of his master strategy to get Rayne as his girlfriend as he got up from his seat in latin, and had finished by the time he had reached the door of his next class, Algebra. He had wanted to make an impression, and felt sure that what he had planned would work.

He walked in with a confident air, lifted a hand in greeting to Harold, who returned the gesture before sitting down next to him.

As soon as all the children were seated, Mr.Murphy said, "I have finished correcting the tests from yesterday. Please come up to my desk when I call your names." He then proceeded to call out the students' names in a random order, along with their marks.

After a little while, Arthur heard him call out, "Harold Abernathy, Three on twenty-five."

As Harold walked coolly towards the teacher's desk to collect his paper, Mr.Murphy said, "Harold, you appear to have done the first sum perfectly, then not deigned to solve the other nine."

"I got bored." replied Harold with shrug.

The teacher raised and eyebrow at that, and said, "Well, if you do the same in the finals, you'll fail. You're smart, Harold. Please use you full ability in class, as if you do, you'll shine!"

Harold nodded, and as he was walking back to his seat, rolled his eyes. When he had sat down, Mr.Murphy called out, "Arthur Patel."

As Arthur walked up to the desk, Mr.Murphy looked at him with surprise clearly showing on his face. He adjusted his glasses as he said, "Full marks...I must ask how you did it, Arthur. I couldn't believe my eyes! Not to mention that you're the only one in class who got full marks! And you're new!"

Arthur smiled, unsurprised. "I'm just good at math, sir." he said, nonchalantly.

The teacher shook his head in disbelief. "If you do the same in the finals then you'll top the class! Good job."

"Thank you, Mr.Murphy." replied Arthur before going back to his place. He smiled, knowing that he had earned the respect of the teacher. A good reputation always helps you. he thought.

A few classes later, Arthur was staring at the clock, dying for class to get over and lunch to begin. Just a few minutes more. he thought.

He had been in a few classes with Rayne, but hadn't got the chance to talk to her, as she had always been sitting next to other people. Usually a werewolf guy named Stuart, who on being scanned by Arthur appeared to be unsure about his feelings for Rayne, but might like her.

Arthur therefore decided to keep an eye on him. However, he was still yearning to speak to her and set phase two (Friendship) of his plan into action.

At that point, Fenrir said, "There are three minutes till class gets over if you wanted to know. Why are you so eager for lunch?'

"Oh, keep quiet." he muttered back. Meanwhile the english teacher kept droning on as she read out Romeo and Juliet. She apparently didn't believe in keeping her students interested as Arthur could see that several people had fallen asleep at their desks.

Thankfully, rescue from that very boring death came to them in the form of the lunch bell ringing. Then Arthur sprinted out of the room at full tilt to get to the lunchroom. As he stood for a minute to catch his breath, he looked around the room for Rayne.

Sighting her sitting at one of the tables that was in what the Bloodborne house called their area, he assumed an air of confidence once more and walked towards her and sat down next to her.

"Oh hey, Arthur." she said, looking up at him and closing a book that she had been writing in. "What's up?"

"Are you free to hang out after dinner?" he asked, getting straight to the point.

She raised an eyebrow. "Sure. What do you have in mind?"

Arthur grinned mischievously and replied, "You'll see." And as he got up, he said, "By the way, eat a light dinner. It'll make sense later, trust me."

She smiled at that. "Okay! You've piqued my curiosity now, I can't wait for tonight. What time? And where?"

"Just meet me at the door of the administration building. 8 work for you?"

She nodded. "Well, now I'm very curious. 8 it is."

Arthur grinned at that "Awesome." he said, before walking away, very satisfied. If all goes to plan, which it should then phase two should work like a dream!

Later, after school ended at 4, Arthur reported to Leonitas council hall for the meeting. Ben, the guy who had recruited him led him inside, and said, "You should meet our leader."

"Oh?" said Arthur. "Who is he?"

Ben replied, "That guy over there." and pointed.

Arthur followed his finger and gaped as he saw who it was. It was none other than his annoying roommate, Richard Avernus!

"Already met him." he muttered to Ben. "He's my roommate. Didn't much like him. How did he get elected anyway?"

Ben seemed to consider his question before saying, "Well, he has always taken a neutral standing in debates, which made him a good person for those with disputes to come for for settlement. Then there is the other reason..."

Arthur raised an eyebrow. "Well, go on. What is it?"

Ben chuckled. 'Let's just say that him being elected leader has more than a little to do with the fact that he's a looker, and that there are more girls than boys in Leonitas."

Arthur smiled and nodded, getting the meaning. Unfortunately, I can't change houses as that isn't allowed. However, that doesn't mean I can't succeed in this house. If I make co-leader, then I'll wield nearly as much authority as he does.

Then Richard called for attention, shaking Arthur out of his thoughts. Arthur noticed that he had mounted the stage at one side of the hall. He then proceeded to give a long speech to the new members and welcomed them to the house, and after that, he said each of their names. Arthur noted with satisfaction that Richard seemed to choke as he said Arthur's name, and looked like he might be sick. However, he still went through the list of names after him, despite the pause.

Then he proceeded to read out the names of all those members who had submitted their candidacy to campaign for council members, and Richard paled on reading out Arthur's name on the list. Arthur had submitted his candidacy the day before, and he noticed that he was the only newbie to do so. He walked up to the stage, and grinned at Richard before standing with the other candidates.

When all of them had come up on stage, Richard gestured towards, looking quite unhappy. "These seventeen are your candidates!" he called out. "Campaigning starts tomorrow, and voting day is a week after that. Good luck!" and then he fled from the stage.

As Arthur looked out at the crowd, he thought Starting tomorrow, I'm going to become the most popular candidate in the school. With that, he began planning immediately.

After a few more matters were attended to, Arthur had a quick, light dinner before rushing to the administration building (which was closed down for the night), set up some things, and then went to the doors and waited for Rayne.

In a few minutes, he saw her, walking towards him. "You look wonderful." he said as she approached.

"I'm still in my school uniform." she replied. "I didn't have time to change."

"Me neither." replied Arthur. "But trust me, you make the uniform look good, which is a hard feat!"

At that, Rayne laughed and looked pleased. "Come with me." said Arthur, and he led her into the administration building of the school and then up a couple of flights of stairs before they came to the door of the teacher's lounge.

"We're going to hang out in here?" said Rayne with a confused look. "Won't somebody notice? Plus, it's locked."

"No one will notice." relied Arthur. "I figured the routine out yesterday." And confirmed it by reading a janitor's mind. he thought, but didn't say it.

"The teachers and staff all have left the building at this time. They have gone to their living quarters which are quite some distance away from the building. No one comes near here till 8 am tomorrow, and there are no security cameras in the room. And I have the key, so the locked door is no obstacle." He then produced it with a flourish and unlocked the door before holding it open for Rayne and saying, "Entrez-vous!' Rayne gaped as she walked in and turned on the lights.

"That's a big T.V." she said, pointing to the very large, flat screened T.V at one end of the room. Facing it was a couch, with several chairs on either side. She walked towards it and she exclaimed, "All those all for us?" as she noticed the pile of snacks on one side of the couch.

"You betcha!" replied Arthur with a smile. "The teachers have crates of the stuff in the basement. I took a little from each crate, so if we clear up before leaving, no one will know. I got everything; chips, popcorn, chicken wings, coke...even english muffins in case you feel homesick."

Rayne laughed at that. "That's very stereotypical, yet I don't feel mad. I'm not sure why!"

Arthur replied with a slight smile, "Maybe it's because I went to all this effort just to befriend you?"

"Maybe that's it." she replied with a grin.

"And that's not all." Arthur said as he opened up a filing cabinet to reveal rows of DVDs.

Rayne's eyes widened as she looked at the shelves. "They have everything. The matrix series, the hunger games series...wow."

"Pick one and we'll watch it tonight." said Arthur. She did so, and they loaded into the DVD player of the T.V.and then they sat on the couch.

Rayne turned to him as she sat down and said, "So you did all this just to befriend me?"

"And to make a good impression of course." replied Arthur with a grin.

"Well, you've certainly achieved that." replied Rayne, giving him a soft smile.

Seeing her smile at him, Arthur's leaped, and he tried to read her mind to check how she felt about him after what he had done. But, to his surprise, he couldn't! Calm down. he told himself as he felt himself start to panic. It'll probably come back soon. and he searched with his mind for the nearest presence before finding to his satisfaction that his power worked as he read the mind of a sleeping student.

However, it still wouldn't work on Rayne...however, he pushed that to the back of his mind as the movie started, and he settled in to have a wonderful night.
Last edited by LordZeus on Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:55 am
Basil says...

Rayne

We’re halfway through The Book Thief when I feel the odd prodding at my mind again. Instinctively I close my mind and notice the prodding recede for a moment before returning again to skirt the outer edges of my mind. This is the third time in a matter of a couple of days I’ve felt this prodding, and I think now is a good time to see what it is. Tentatively, I open my mind a little and the prodding focuses on that point. I form a thought and push it toward the prodding, hoping for a reaction.

Who are you and what are you doing in my head?

I didn’t mean to come off as harsh as I did, but it certainly frightened the prodding away. And at the exact moment, Arthur’s face turns a paler shade than normal and swallows thickly. I put two and two together and turn to face him, an eyebrow raised.

“Was it you poking at my mind?” I ask.

Arthur looks at me and feigns surprise. “I don’t know what you’re talking about, Rayne,” he frowns. “We’re missing the movie.”

“Arthur, don’t lie to me,” I narrow my eyes. “It makes it hard for me to trust you.”

Arthur looks at me and smiles meekly. “It’s a power of mine. I can go into people’s minds and … persuade them to do what I want them to,” he explains. “I can also cause someone immense pain with a similar technique.”

“What have you gotten from my mind?” I ask, worried he knows about what I did before I came here.

“I only got your name, age, what you are, and that you like birds and music,” Arthur smiles. “I didn’t pry any further.”

“Good,” I inwardly cringe at what would have happened had he seen … the memory. “And next time, if you want to know what I’m thinking, just ask.”

“What are you thinking, Rayne?” Arthur asks.

“How much of this movie we’re missing,” I chuckle and turn back to the television screen.

Another moment passes, and I find myself yawning. I haven’t stayed up this late for a while, usually going to bed earlier, around eight thirty, nine. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was ten or something. Another yawn washes over me, and I find myself struggling to keep my eyes open.

“Rayne?” Arthur’s voice brings me from a slight doze, and I blink rapidly as I sit up.

“Sorry, I’m very tired,” I give him a wan smile. My mind suddenly wanders to Stuart. I wonder if he’s asleep right now. Wait, why am I thinking of Stuart? “Maybe I should go to bed.”

“The movie hasn’t finished yet,” Arthur looks upset.

“You can tell me how it ends,” I shrug. “Or we can watch it again.”

“Again?” Hope blossoms in his eyes. “Yeah, again would be nice.”

“But right now all I want is the comfort of my bed. And I still need to unpack,” I manage a weak chuckle. “I’ll –“

“Let me walk you to your room,” Arthur jumps to his feet. “Give me a second to clean up first, though.”

“Okay,” I nod and lean back against the couch.

I watch Arthur as he pauses the movie and starts to clear away the half eaten snacks. My head droops onto the arm of the chair and I curl into the corner, letting my eyes close. I’ll doze for a little bit and wake so that Arthur can take me back to my room.

The next thing I know, Arthur is lifting me off the couch to cradle my curled body against his chest. Alarm shoots through my mind and I let out a startled squeak.

“Arthur, put me down please,” I whisper frantically.

Arthur places me on the ground and I take a step back, wrapping my arms around myself. The last time I was held like that, my father … no, don’t think about it Rayne.

“Are you okay?” Arthur gives me an odd look.

“Yep,” I manage to say flippantly and smile. “Come on, let’s go.”

Arthur turns the television off and we make our way out of the room and down the corridor. We come to the girl’s wing and I pause, biting my lip. I turn to Arthur, who has an expectant look on his face. For some reason the idea of him known where my room is causes me great discomfort. Then again, I’d feel that about anyone with human blood.

“I can find my way from here,” I smile at him.

“If you say so,” his face drops into a frown.

“Thanks for tonight, Arthur, it was really nice,” I give him my sweetest smile, which encourages a smile from him. “Maybe next time we can do something a little more outdoorsy though.”

He grins. “Alright, I’ll start planning it tonight,” he boasts.

Persistent? Or should I be using another word now. “Oh, sure,” I chuckle. “Night, Arthur.”

“Night Rayne,” Arthur sways a little on his feet before walking away.

Humans are so strange. I take a moment to breathe a sigh and glance at the roof, wishing for the starry sky. Of father, if only you were here. Then I wouldn’t be so funny around humans. If only I hadn’t … no, don’t think about it.

Shaking my head, I make my way down the corridor to my bedroom. Just as I pass a door, it swings open and I nearly crash into the girl walking out of it. We stare at each other in surprise for a moment before the girl – another demon – recovers and raises a delicate eyebrow.

“Can I help you?” She snaps.

“Oh, no, I was just making my way back to my room,” I smile kindly at her.

“Oh,” she frowns. “What were you doing out so late?” She eyes me up and down. “And in your uniform still?”

I find my defences rising from the interrogational tone in the girl’s voice. “Just walking around the school,” I lie.

The girl gives me a look as though I just grew a second head. “Right,” she takes a step back.

“What are you doing?” I raise an eyebrow of my own.

“Nothing,” is all she snarls and returns to her room, the door closing none-too-quietly.

I roll my eyes and go back to my room. Once inside, with the door closed, I stroll over to my bag on the floor and glare at it.

“Right,” I tell my bag. “I’m not leaving you like that any longer."

I start to unpack, but it doesn’t quite happen. I end up taking off my uniform, pulling on an old T-shirt, and climbing into bed. My eyes are closed the moment my head hits the pillow, and I’m out like a light.
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:43 pm
Ciblio says...

Ximena

Moving rooms was the best thing to happen to me. It was sad I had to leave my roommate, she was a sweetheart, but the fact that I got to meet more people and make more friends was exciting. A few of my friends had helped me pack, plus move my things to my new room, and I just didn't know how to thank them. Isn't it amazing what some people are willing to do for friends? Even if it's as simple as helping them switch rooms.

Anyways, as I skipped down the hallway, students milling in and out of rooms dressed in their appropriate attire, I came across the door that had the three numbers in bold letters that I had imprinted on my mind. This was it. I pictured what my roommate would look like, then shook my head, deciding that however she looked and whatever she was didn't matter. I'd love everything about her because she was here and alive and, well, that's good enough for me.

I knocked twice on the door, folding my hands behind my back, then felt a trickle of sweat roll down my neck. I'd never been so nervous about something like this. It was amazing.

When nobody answered, I decided I'd come back later. I had a key to the room, yes, but it was rude to enter someone else's room without meeting them first.

I turned away, and began to make my way to the office. I'd yet to get my schedule, mostly because I'd been so busy with packing. As I approach the room, a cool breeze drifted by, causing my wings shuddered and hug my back. I grin at this, because sometimes the wings had a mind of their own.

I knock on the door frame, and when I'm allowed to enter, I smile joyfully at the lady behind the desk. I could never remember her name, for some reason. Anyways, she somehow remembered me.

"Miss Mena! Oh, look at you, so grown up," she offers a glum smile, then taps something out on her keyboard, "what can I do for you?"

"Well, I came for my schedule, actually!" I note cheerfully, "Could you get that for me, please?"

The lady nods, pulls a paper from a file out, then stretches her hand out to me, "Here you go, hun. So how's your old man doing?"

I accept the paper gratefully, and say with a cheeky grin, "Papa? Oh, he's doing wonderful."

"That's great, dear," the woman smiles, and glances at her computer. "Well, is there anything else I can help you with?"

Flicking my eyes down to my paper, I smile, look back up, and shake my head, "No ma'am! I'm all set. Thank you so much, though! I'll see you later!"

And after receiving a kind 'good bye', I left the room, and studied the paper in my hands as I strolled down the hall.

A math class first? These guys were relentless on trying to make me fail. I'm not the smartest person in the morning, after all. But then I had Psychology, Latin, blah, blah, blah. As I stared at the paper blankly, my feet still moving on command and my wings guiding me around the plethora of students, my mind drifted to the day my entire life changed. The day I attended my first sermon, as a teenager.

"For thy shall pray for redemption-" the old mans lips moved, as his somber voice rumbled from out from his mouth. "-or seek courage to find it themselves."

The sermon I'd attended so many years ago was still stuck in my head. My 13-year-old self's head was filled with worry and doubt that I wouldn't be accepted into the places my parents had submitted me to. I was afraid that if I wasn't accepted, I wouldn't be redeemed and our heavenly father would cast me from his family and leave me broken on the streets of the mundane.

"And with sorrow crossing our heart, I ask all of you a raging question of humility-" I mumble, reciting the ending words from the sermon. "-will you cross him? Will you find courage on your own and use it doubtfully? Will you lower yourself to the mundane rights of the new world and ruin everything you've build with God? Are you-"

With a high voice, and I low head, I suddenly find myself staring at the ground, my hand no longer clutching the sheet of paper with the printed words that would mean nothing in a couple of years.

"I'm so sorry-" somebody apologizes, and before I could even see the person and tell them that they had done nothing wrong and the Lord, plus myself, could forgive them, they were gone.

My lips curl into a smile, and I grab my paper from the ground before swinging myself up and heading back down the route that I'd gone to earlier to meet my new roommate.

Once I got to the room, after getting distracted a couple of times and making friends with several students in the halls, I knocked lightly again on the door, and this time...it opened.

The girl was godly. In an evil sense. If you didn't look closely, you would assume that this girl was a human-- she looked like one, after all. Her long blonde hair seemed to flow, even with no breeze, and her dark blue piercing eyes looked right through me. Her lips tightened in a purse, and her fingers tapped in separate patterns, as if they had a mind of their own.

I wasn't exactly sure how I knew, but this girl- oh, no, she was not human. Not at all. Not that that was a problem. She was better than what I had imagined. Even if she was a demon.

But I couldn't help but wonder who in the world paired us together to share a room.

"Can I help you?" she frowns, and glances at the wings perched on my back. We actually had the option to kind of make them invisible, I suppose, but I preferred them being out there. I liked people knowing what I was.

"Hi, you must be Rayne!" I grin suddenly, and tuck my bangs behind my right ear. "I'm Ximena, your new roommate!"

I didn't exactly like what came next.

Spoiler! :
...hi. So, if this okay? @Basil, should I change anything?
'we have lingered in the chambers of the sea /
by sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown /
till human voices wake us, and we drown'

previously:
GuyFieri

Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:02 am
TheForgottenKing says...

Daemon

I watched her the entire time. She was sobbing... And I didn't even help. I stood there for hours... And I couldn't move a muscle. It hurt like hell to watch her in that state, but still, I couldn't move. I didn't know why, but I did. I was scared. Only I knew the curse of my blood, about falling in love. And I didn't want that, but when I watched her, I couldn't help but realize how much I cared for her.

After summoning Abbernal and ordering him to watch her, I took a walk around the school grounds. A couple acres of forest land completed everything, the building complex to the west. I climbed a tree to look at the moon. It was always beautiful here on earth. And I loved it. My father always said I was destined to be part of the apocalypse, but why would anyone want to destroy something as beautiful as this world we live in? Slowly, my thoughts drifted to Nymrah, my angel step mother.

She was the one who really raised me, teaching me what it meant to be a good person, and how precious life was. When I returned home, my father called me a tame demon. But I disagreed. I wasn't take. I would call down all the fires of hell to protect those I loved, but I wasn't quick to. I was the good demon, not the bloodthirsty wicked one my father wanted, but one of good heart.

I shook my head and hopped down from the branch I was on, about 30 feet in the air. I landed softly before walking back to where Grace was. When I got to her location she was starting to wake up." Hey sleepy head." I said. She whirled around to face me, both scared and relieved." Oh my goodness, I can't believe I'm letting you see me like this." She said, half laughing, half raving.

I hid a smile." Grace, I promise you your perfectly fine. Your flawless." I must've been staring at her for too long because she blushed, looking away. I glanced at the moon." It's nice to escape. It's such a wonderful place." Grace mimed throwing up." No it's not Daemon. It's hell. This place is hell on earth." I cocked my head.

"Darken? I couldn't agree with you more. But out there... It's so beautiful. The dawn in the Rockies. The sunset in the Caribbean." I said, smiling gently." I've never been there before." She responded, almost wistfully. Eagerly I grabbed her hand." We'll go there than. We'll travel the world together, and I'll show you all the beautiful things the world itself has to offer!"

Extending my arms out I slowly spun in a circle." You're the only person I ever plan on telling this, but I was raised by an Angel. She taught me all about beauty and life, how even in the darkness there is still light somewhere." I turned to watch a brooding Grace." Don't let your past define your future Grace. I may be a demon, but I don't plan on being one. I was thinking rockstar." A smile split her face." A rockstar Demon? I could work with that." Her hands flew to cover her mouth as she blushed furiously. I laughed out loud.

I took her hands in mine." Grace... What happened in that office with Mr. A?" Instantly her face paled and she been to fumble with her words." I- I don't want to talk about it Daemon. It's... It's not something you want to know. It's confidential." I pulled her into a hug." What happened Grace?" I whispered. Her hair tickled my nose softly, but it also smelt like strawberries. Oh redheads.

She shook her head adamantly." Daemon... I'm not who you think I am... I-I've done things. I don't want to hurt you." I smiled." Grace, you can never hurt me. Unless you refuse to let me copy from your homework, than I would be sorely wounded." A giggle slipped past her trembling lips. She shook her head." No Daemom. Stop it. I can't tell you." I raised my eyebrows." Well I can always force it out of his head." Her eyes widened in alarm.

"Yes that's included in the wonderful time bomb that is me. I've actually noticed someone trying to pick through my head the last few days. Don't know who yet, but I can feel the frustration from them. It's quite adorable if you ask me. But honestly, I'll duct tape him to a chair and force it out." I threatened. Her mouth opened and closed like a fish gasping for air as she tried to comprehend what I was saying. I ran my hand through my hair.

"Pretty please?" I asked, sticking my lower lip out in a pout. She laughed out loud." You're such a dork." Her face cleared as she thought." I'll tell you... When I'm ready." I made a graceful bow." I suppose that's all I can ask for. A gentleman only goes so far." She laughed." Isn't a gentleman supposed to keep the girl warm?" I raised an eyebrow." Isn't a smart girl supposed to bring a jacket?" I shot back." Can't believe I let you talk to me like this." She groused. I smiled." Oh don't worry, I'm sure you'll come up with something good to get back at me with."

She smiled and looked at me. I couldn't help but give her a goofy face before looking into her eyes. I almost got lost in her eyes, reflecting the moon as bright as orbs. Before I knew what was happening, I found myself leaning in.

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:37 am
Chaser says...

Fenrir Blitzwell

Fenny dried his palms on his shirt, sighing in relief. He was lucky that Burke had let him off without a fight. The way he was being held, he couldn’t have reached his backpack, so he’d have had to use his fists…

He shuddered. Last time his mother had caught him fighting, he’d been grounded for the rest of their trip, and had to pay the other boy’s hospital bill.

“Enough self-pity,” he muttered, walking toward his next class. Taking a yo-yo from his backpack, he started to spin it absentmindedly. It spun to the bottom, the string whispering against the wheel. With a jerk of his finger, it popped back up into his hand, only to be tossed back down again.

Fenny smiled, performing a few more tricks, lacing the string around his fingers, flipping the yo-yo around. He’d grown up surrounded by college students, so party tricks were something of a specialty. It didn’t matter where he traveled, who he met, or what languages they spoke; everyone loved a show.

Quickly, he snapped it back into his hand, hiding it as a hall monitor lumbered by. Teachers were strict, and his mother was one of the strictest. Nevermind the fact that she dragged him all around the world with her students. She was still the most terrifying schoolteacher he’d ever known.

Slipping the toy into his pocket, Fenny scratched his head. “Why think of myself,” he said, dashing down the hallway, “when the world is so much more interesting!”

Strolling into English, he took a seat at the front, dropping his bag beside him. Eyes lighting up, he continued his glorious day at Darken Academy.

----------------------------

Fenny burst into the lunchroom, ready to take names and complete profiles based on those names.

“Fall into oblivion! Phantom Crusher!

He yelped as a human crashed through the wall beside him. Blood oozed from the boy’s gashes, staining his uniform dark red.

Cackling contemptuously, a demon hovered in the middle of the lunchroom. “You really thought you could avenge your friends with that forbidden power of yours?” He scoffed, shaking his head. “I’m sorry to say, my friend, but this is the end for you.”

“You’re wrong,” spat the human. He pulled himself to his feet, glaring up at the demon. Eyes burning with an azure light, he clenched his fists, shouting, “This is just the beginning!”

The demon recoiled as indigo flames burst from the human’s body, washing out across the room. “W-what!?”

“I am a Leonitas,” the human said, the mystical fire warping over his body. “I am a man of integrity, valor, leadership, and courage. I am one of those who will change the world. And now, I will defeat you!” He surged forward, the purple inferno twisting around him.

The demon snarled, shading his face against the dark light. “No!” he screamed as the blaze engulfed him, silencing his roars forever.

As the flames petered out, a soft wave of ash fluttered down, scattering across the floor. The demon was nowhere to be found.

The human let his fire disappear, collapsing to his knees. Tears welled up in his eyes, his shoulders trembling with anguish.

“We did it, guys,” he whispered, bowing his head.

The lunchroom erupted into cheers and applause, the students giving a standing ovation. The human stood up, the demon reappearing in a puff of smoke beside him. Smiling, they took a bow as the cheers swelled.

Fenny gawked at the spectacle, clapping as well. The actors gave a final wave as they were ushered away by an exuberant announcer. “Amazing! That was Leonitas’ play: Valiance of the Broken Hero, Act I! And last but not least, we have-”

A brawny demon shoved her aside, ripping the mic from her hands. “Who’s ready for a Taurus rap battle!” he yelled, the audience echoing his excitement.

Fenny inched along the wall, taking a seat as two boys in ridiculously floppy hats took the stage. The demon hyped the crowd to an explosive level, shouting out the rappers’ ridiculous titles.

“DJ! Kick the beat!” A rhythmic rap beat poured out of the speakers, flooding the room with funky-fresh tunes. Fenny leaned back and grinned as the two rappers began spouting prose, wielding exaggerated movements and timed shouts from the crowd.

“Quite lively, aren’t they?” Fenny turned to see a boy sitting beside him. Lithe, lean, and sporting a scarlet-lined cape, he was flexing his fingers, shading his eyes. “Taurus, House of the Bull. The so-called epitome of fun.”

He smirked. “However, these sag-panted shenanigans cannot compare to the true power of humanity. Knowledge is the greatest force of mankind! Capable of toppling kings, of making dust into mountains, of turning Man into God!”

“What?” Fenny cocked his head, trying to hear the boy over the blaring music. “What’d you say?”

The boy looked unhappy, folding his arms. “Never mind,” he grumbled.

“What?”

“-because you stupid!” the rapper finished, the crowd bursting into laughter. The demon held his hand up, declaring him the winner as the students applauded. The Taurus performers grinned and bowed vivaciously, accepting the cheers with a proportional ego. Then they skipped off of the stage, dropping the mic behind them.

“O-okay,” the announcer said, standing up shakily. “That was Taurus’, um, performance! We hope that you choose the house that best suits you! Have a wonderful time at Darken Academy!” The audience gave a courtesy clap as she stumbled off, bracing herself dizzily against the wall.

As the applause dissolved into excited chatter, Fenny turned to the boy again. “I got here late, so I’m not really sure what houses are. Could you…”

“Explain?” The other boy struck a pose. “Of course. I know everything!”

“So do I!” said Fenny cheerfully.

“Then you and I are comrades,” said the boy, sweeping his arm over Fenny’s shoulder. “My name is Eldritch Bonnasion, third lord of the House of Aviantus. But you can call me, ‘Master Eldritch.’”

“Aviantus,” Fenny said, scribbling in his notebook again. “What house is that?”

Eldritch tapped his forehead with one finger. “We are the house of knowledge; we are the house of the absolute.” He stood up, sweeping his cape behind him. “We are the house of the thinkers, of the creators, of the truth and falsities in this world! We are Aviantus, house of the eagle!”

His aura seemed to flow out around him, spirit and youth emanating from his posture. Fenny set his pen down and clapped rapidly, eyes wide in wonder.

Eldritch accepted the praise with yet another pose. “So, young lad, would you care to join us? No doubt, together, we can prove the true strength of the mind.”

“I’d love to!” Fenny exclaimed.

“Marvelous!” Eldritch replied. Sitting back down, he reached into his bag. “Now, I’ll just need to give you a quick initiation…”

Fenny’s eyes widened, his entire body stiffening. Eldritch looked up. “Hello?” he said, waving his hand in front of the werewolf’s motionless face.

Quickly, Fenny shook his head, dispelling the war flashbacks of fraternity hazing. “N-nothing,” he replied, grinning shakily.

“If you say so.” Eldritch dug in his bag until he found a small packet of paper.

“Here,” he said, handing Fenny the packet, then fishing out a pencil as well. “Just complete this, and we’ll place you based on your results. Don’t be alarmed; it’s merely a preface.”

As Fenny set his lead to the paper, the Aviantus captain turned around, snickering. “Little does this freshman know, this was an exam designed for seniors! He couldn’t possibly-”

“Done!” Fenny beamed, passing the test back to Eldritch.

The boy’s jaw hit the floor, cracking the tiles. “Whaaat!?”

The werewolf scratched his head. “It was kind of confusing in spots, but I think I got most of them right.”

“Impossible!” Eldritch snatched the test back, rifling through Fenny’s answers. His motions grew more and more frenzied as he flipped the pages into a storm of white and grey. “The first capital of Poland...the sound of a nuclear explosion...tomorrow’s lottery numbers!

“How do you know all this?!” Eldritch wheeled on Fenny, visibly panicking.

“Uh...homeschooling?”

“That doesn’t- hm, fine.” The Aviantus captain shook his head decisively, resigning himself to the werewolf’s knowledge. “In any case, you’ve passed the test I gave you. You’ve shown that you deserve to join us.”

Reaching into his pocket, he produced a small blue badge. “Wear this until we can get you a proper costume. Period’s almost over, so come see us when you have time.”

“Will do!” Fenny saluted cheerfully, dashing off to grab a bite of food before lunch ended. Once he was gone, the Aviantus captain shook his head again, leaning back on the table and staring up at the ceiling.

“Weird kid,” he muttered. “Useful, sure. But really weird.”
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

15 Reviews

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:10 pm
HazelGrace16 says...

Grace Wilson

As Daemon leaned in I felt my heart begin to beat faster. My cheeks burned brightly, and the shaking in my hands had returned.

Oh my god this was actually happening.

Don’t let this happen. I warned myself. This is Daemon we’re talking about. A guy that could have any girl he wanted. A guy who has been nothing more than your friend for the longest time. Or was he just that? Why would he want me? And the more I contemplated this, the more I found myself surprisingly leaning in too.

Just as our lips were about to touch a bright light flashed across our faces. I gasped and stepped away from Daemon shielding my eyes.

“Hey guys. Don’t mean to ruin the moment or anything, but curfew was like 4 hours ago. I’m just saying you're lucky I found you, and not Miss Langster. I suggest you get back to your dorms before I have to write you both up.” The light shuts off, and I now see Maverick Johnson looking at us. He’s the year above me, and the he’s the classic cliche of the prestigious, rule following, class president. I look back over at Daemon who is running a hand through his hair playing off his embarrassment. He doesn’t look at me.

“Uh yeah. Sorry.” I say rushing past him. Daemon follows close behind me, nearly knocking Maverick over. I hear him mumble “Thanks man” Sarcastically under his breath. I slightly smile as we both continue on our way back towards the dorms.

Daemon walks silently next to me the whole way back. I twiddle my thumbs, and watch my feet as we walk. We pass the bathroom, and I stop.

“Hold on.” I say. He nods, and I walk into the restroom. When I look into the mirror I hardly recognize myself. The black makeup is smeared across my puffy eyes, and the dried blood runs down across my cheek. Tears fill my eyes. My hands shake furiously as I pull my hair up into a messy ponytail, and I turn on the water to the sink. I grab one of the hand towels, and begin to scrub my face hard. My cheeks burn, but I keep scrubbing.

Get it off. Get it off. Get it off! Get it off!

I look into the mirror at my red bare face. I almost forgot what it felt like to have nothing on. Its feels naked, but also slightly...free. A tear falls from my eye, and I quickly swipe it away. I exit the bathroom, and Daemon looks up at me in surprise for a moment. I pull my sleeves down self consciously, and I lift my head starting down the hallway again.

When we reach my room he leans against the wall across from my door, and stares at me. I look at him.

“What are you looking at?” I ask.

“You.” He smiles, and my heart starts beating fast again. I roll my eyes and look away from his gaze.

“Well can you stop? It's creepy.” I say. He chuckles slightly, and he continues to stare for a moment.

“Why won't you tell me what happened?” He asks. His usual joking sarcastic tone was gone.

“I told you Daemon. I’ll tell you when I’m ready.” I turn to him. “I’m just...not ready for you to-”

“To what?” He interrupts. “See you differently? Grace, there’s nothing you could say or do that would make me distance myself from you. If you haven’t noticed I’ve also done a lot of crap in my life. Nobody is perfect, and for some reason you refuse to let anyone help you. To let anyone actually understand.”

“You saw me...out there. Didn’t you?” I ask.

“Yes...I did, and it killed me, because I couldn’t do anything. I knew you would have never let me worry about you. You would have played it off, and pretended like you read a sad book or tripped and scraped your knee. God forbid you could actually be hurting.” His voice rises.

“Shh! Daemon, people are sleeping….” I sigh. “I do that Daemon, because I’ve always done that. I’ve always taken care of myself, because I wanted everyone to take care of themselves first. And that's something you just can’t change about me.”

“Fair enough. If you dont want me to care about you, then I won't. I promise.” He said looking at me hurt. “Remember though, I have never been good at keeping promises. I’ll see you tomorrow.” He starts off down the hallway, and I watch him.

“Daemon.” I call after him. He stops, and turns towards me curiosity crossing his face.

Screw it.

I run to him and I grab the back of his neck pulling his lips to mine. Surprisingly he returns the kiss, and pushes me against the wall. He gently grabs my face, and kisses me with such a passion I can feel my head spin. After a few moments he pulls away, and I can feel the warmth of his breath against my forehead. We’re both speechless, and breathing heavy. I slowly look up into his eyes, and I find myself noticing things I never have before. Like the way his eyes have tiny golden specks around his pupils, and how long his eyelashes are.

He kisses me again. Softer this time. Almost like if he kissed me any harder I would break. This time when he pulls away he kisses my forehead.

“I’m sorry, but I’m really not going to be able to keep my promise now.” He whispers. I smile, and wrap my arms around his waist. When I pull away I place a gentle kiss on his chin.

"Goodnight." I exit his grasp. I feel his gaze on me as I walk slowly towards my bedroom door, and quietly open it. I turn to look at him one last time before I enter. I smile, and close the door behind me.

“What happened to you?” I jump and turn towards Wren who is drawing in her notebook.

“God you scared me? What are you still doing up?” I ask trying to change the subject.

“I feel like I should ask you the same question. Why are you smiling like that?” She asks in a way like she already knows. My eyes go wide.

“Am I smiling? I hadn't noticed.” I say. She laughs, and I jump into bed ignoring her teasing. I pull the covers over my head.

“Looks like Grace got kissed.” She whispered. I couldn't help but smile. I gently touched my lips where the tingle continued to buzz across them. Oh gosh I can't stop smiling.

What have I done?

"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:25 pm
View Likes
LordZeus says...

Arthur Pendragon Patel

Arthur strode into the lunchroom with purpose, whistling. He searched out Harold and Fenrir, who were sitting next to each other at an otherwise empty table. He sat opposite Harold and nodded to them as he started to dig into what he had on his lunch tray.

As he ate, Harold said, "So what's up with you and that Rayne chick?"

Arthur froze, before replying, "None of your business."

Harold laughed. "You like her, I can tell."

"Wait, Arthur likes Rayne?" said a voice from behind Arthur. He turned to see Burke, the temperamental demon that he had recruited to the gang the day before, as he had felt that they required a some muscle, just in case.

As Burke sat down, Arthur edgily replied, "As I said, none of your business."

"Chill bro." replied Harold with a chuckle. "Just saying, if you do like her, Stuart Jackson may be competition. He's always hanging around Rayne."

"Want me to beat him up?" asked Burke eagerly.

"That might work..." mused Harold.

"No." replied Arthur. "For one thing, if you did, and told Stuart to stay away from Rayne, she'd know I was behind it. You hang out with me and I'm the only guy that she knows is into her. She'd think I was cruel ad not talk to me again. Also, I don't think Stuart deserves a beating. But I do want to keep an eye on him to see how his relationship with Rayne develops."

Harold raised an eyebrow. "And how do you plan to do that?"

Arthur smiled. "I know the best way, though I'll need your help. But can any of you guess it?"

Burke blinked and replied, "Threaten-"

"No." Arthur snapped.

Burke thought for another second and said, "Blackmail-"

"No!" said Arthur with a sigh.

Fenrir thought for a minute and said, "Kindness?"

Harold snorted. "Yeah, right-"

"He's right!" said Arthur in exasperation. "Kindness! Friendship! That's the way."

Burke looked confused. "Wait...you want us to be nice to Stuart?"

"Yes." replied Arthur. "If we do, then he'll become friends with us, and hang around us willingly! It'd be much easier to keep an eye on him that way."

"Wait." said Harold. "So you're enlisting our help to help you get a girl?"

"No." snorted Arthur. "I'm enlisting your help to help us get an ally. I've found out that Stuart, unlike most werewolves has some control over himself when he's in werewolf form. And that's a talent that would be quite helpful to us."

Harold waved his hand dismissively. "Do what you want. But I'm not helping."

"Come on, Harold." said Arthur, using his persuasion now. "You're in the same house as him, you'll probably get more opportunities than we will. Plus, you cant deny that he'd be a useful ally."

Harold seemed to consider it, before replying grudgingly, "Oh, alright, I'll do what I can."

"Excellent." replied Arthur. "Fenrir, will you help please?

Fenrir blinked. "OK, I'll do what I can."

"Good." replied Arthur. "But remember, no one tells him that I told you this. As far as he knows, we're being nice to him for no reason whatsoever. Got it?"

They nodded, and Arthur smiled. "Good. Now if you'll excuse me, I must be off."
And he got up and left the table.

"So," said Arthur continuing his campaign speech on the stage in Leonitas hall. "If I get elected, I will bring fresh thinking and new ideas to the council! I've checked the records, and I've realized that the council members have been almost the same for years! Not that they've done a bad job mind you, but if it continues, things will stagnate, which we don't want!" There were mutters of agreement from the crowd, and Arthur smiled. He knew he was winning them over.

"Furthermore, to ensure that the House progress does not stagnate, I am going to make you a promise. Whether it is now, or when I am elected, I want everyone here to feel that if they have an idea for the House, they can come to me at any time and tell me. And if it is good-which I'm sure it will be-I promise to bring it up in the council meetings, and speak for it's implementation as best I can!"

The Leonitas members cheered. Arthur continued, "One of you-you know who you are-has already spoken to me. That person had a brilliant idea, and I'm glad they told me of it. The idea was to set up suggestion boxes, so that those who don't have the time to speak to me about their suggestions and ideas can put them in the box, and we can sort through them! I promise to work my hardest for its implementation. I conclude by saying that please vote for me, so I can be your voice, and give you the right to be heard that you deserve! Thank you!'

With that, he walked off the stage, being applauded wildly. As he stepped through the crowd, people complimented him and promised him their votes. Arthur smiled. He knew that he was already the most popular candidate, even after his first speech. None of the others had received the response that he had.

After a while, the crowd died down, and Arthur found Ben and together they went to watch the applicants go through the test.

"So how does this work exactly?" asked Arthur as they walked one step forward and begin to talk.

Ben replied, "The applicants are given a topic, and told to talk for or against it and given ten minutes to prepare. Then those three judges," He said, pointing at three house members on the side, "Each score him on 10. If he gets at least 22 out of 30, he's in."

Arthur whistled as he saw that the present applicant got 5 from each judge, getting only 15 as a total. He walked away, shamefaced. "So what happens to those who fail?"

Ben surveyed the next applicant as he walked up to the podium and replied, "They try for another house. If they fail all the house tests, then after the recruiting period, those people are randomly sorted into a house which has not yet received its full compliment of newbies."

"Oh, thanks." replied Arthur, watching as the next person failed as well. "it's a hard test huh?" he asked.

"It's meant to be." replied Ben quietly.

The next day evening, Arthur stood quietly and whistled a tune as he waited next to the now empty football field. He had asked Rayne to meet him there for a walk and then a picnic.

As he stood there, he wondered what had gotten into him. Whenever he saw Rayne, he felt joyous. Even when he wasn't with her, she kept coming to his mind. He felt a constant urge to impress her, that he had never felt before.

Not to mention that I seem to have lost the ability to read her mind... He mused unhappily. The blockade hat stopped him from reading her mind was rather an unorthodox one. He knew that she hadn't created the blockade or he would have sensed it. Yet it seemed to only protect her thoughts. Furthermore, whenever he attempted to read her mind, she sensed it, whereas no one else could sense his presence in their heads.

The problem was that he should've at least been able to try and break the blockade, as the way the person who had created the blockade's mind worked should have been different from his own, so he should've been able to search for a weakness.

However, that wall seemed perfectly designed for his own thought processes, which should have been impossible. Then, a chilling thought struck him. What if I made the wall... At that moment, he caught sight of Rayne, and pushed those thoughts to the back of his head.

"Hey." he said with a grin. "You look lovely." She smiled and thanked him before they set off, walking across the football field.

"Where are we going?" she asked him, looking curious.

"You'll see." replied Arthur with a smile.

Rayne smiled back. "By the way, I thought you said we were going to have a picnic?"

Arthur replied, "Yes, we are." and patted his backpack.

Rayne frowned. "No picnic basket?"

Arthur laughed. "Couldn't find one unfortunately! But don't worry, I've got all we need."

Rayne nodded. Then, they finally reached the grove of trees at the corner of the school compound. As they entered, they heard the twittering of songbirds.

Arthur said, "Well, if you recall I told you that night that I had found out from your mind that you like birds. Well, I thought you might like to see some."

Rayne smiled. "Thank you."

"Come over here. I think you might want to see this." said Arthur, dropping his backpack and beckoning Rayne over to a tree.

He climbed up some way, and helped Rayne up after him. "Look in that hollow. he whispered, pointing.

Rayne peered, and saw what he had seen while checking out the place the day before:A nest with a trio of chicks in it. One of the parent birds came and settled on the edge of the hollow opening, before scrutinizing them closely. After it had decided that they weren't out to harm it or its chicks, it turned its head from them and let out a lovely little tune and started to sing.

"A nightingale." whispered Arthur to Rayne. "One of the most celebrated songbirds. These trees seem to have a lot of songbirds."

After watching for a little while longer, he got down and helped Rayne down. "How did you know about this place?" he asked.

Arthur blushed a little. "Well, after class yesterday, I wandered around the school grounds, looking for a nice place to meet with you. After some searching, I ended up here."

"Thank you." said Rayne with a soft smile. Once more, Arthur found hyimself blushing, which he fought to control. He had never blushed before meeting Rayne, or at least he didn't remember such a time.

However, he once again forced those thoughts away as he said, "Should I set up the picnic now?"

"Yes." replied Rayne. "Under this tree would be lovely."

SO he got out the mat and started to take things out of his backpack.

"English muffins?" said Rayne with a laugh.

Arthur smiled and replied, "I just grabbed the most picnic-y stuff I could find. If yu don't like those, I also have chips, sandwiches..."

"What's in that thermos?" asked Rayne as Arthur set down a thermos and a couple of cups.

"Hot chocolate." replied Arthur, pouring her a cup.

She raised it to her lips and took a sip as Arthur finished unpacking and sat down.

'So..." she said after a minute. "Why did you go to all this trouble again?"

Arthur smiled. "No trouble, really. I just like making a good impression."

Rayne laughed. "Persistent, huh?"

"Yup." replied Arthur, stretching out his legs.

Rayne looked out at the sun, which was edging towards the horizon. "Oh, Arthur...I'm not sure how I feel about you yet."

"It's fine." replied Arthur, surprising himself. "For now, I'm happy to take things slow. All I want to do right now is enjoy the sunset with you."

At that, Rayne smiled at him and looked out towards the sunset. And Arthur, despite his fears about his powers, felt happy for the first time in a while.

15 Reviews

Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:22 am
HazelGrace16 says...

Stuart Jackson

This morning I wake up to the sound of running water. I groggily look over at my clock and grunt.

5:30 am

“Really? Ugh, this is what I get for requesting a room next to the showers.” I sit up, and hear the popping of the bones in my back as I stretch my arms up. I yawn, and swing my legs over the side of the bed. “Well, I’m already awake, so might as well make the time useful.” I pull on a grey t-shirt and some running shorts. I quickly pass by the restroom, where I brush my teeth and slide on my old worn down sneakers. My ears perk up when I hear whoever is in the shower is humming. I roll my eyes, and head for the door.

Running every morning has become my thing I guess. Some call it a coping mechanism because of all the screwed up shit at this school. Some say it's just for extra training. I once even heard someone say it's when I hunt for the blood of small children. Pricks. But in all honesty I simply call it...a distraction. My heart beats loud enough that I dont have to think, and I'm moving fast enough that my body doesn’t shake from the constant feeling of being cold.

3 laps around the school grounds, and sweat drips across my forehead. I jog inside where I notice everyone is beginning to start their days. The bathrooms start filling up, and the echos of voices travel through the halls. I’m lucky to catch a shower stall before all of them start to fill up. I’ve got an early art class that I cannot be late to. After I get out of the shower I head back to my room, and change into some clean clothes for the day. I look over at my roommate who is still passed out in his bed. I throw a pillow at him, and he jerks awake.

“Whoa! I promise it's not mine!” He screams.

“Bro, calm down it's just me. Can you please just wake up? That way, we don’t get anymore late night notices because of your tardiness.”

“Yeah sorry man. Just give me 5...more...minutes.” He lays his head back down, and I sigh.

“Can’t say I didn’t warn you.” I grab my bag and journal, and head out of the dorms building towards my art class. By the time I reach the classroom the bell rings, and I take my typical spot at the easel across from the window. Mrs. Beckman, the art teacher, enters the room carrying a clipboard, and like usual her glasses fall at the tip of her nose.

“Alright class. As you can see today you will be painting this.” She gestures to a bowl of fruit sitting in the room.

“Isn't that a little cliche?” Some random girl pipes up next to me. Mrs. Beckman smiles, but fury floods her eyes. She is not a lady that like to be questioned.

“I’m sorry Miss Roseman. You did not let me finish.” She clears her throat. “Today you will be painting this, but instead of one specific way it is up to you to determine how this will look. Are you more into realism, or are you more abstract? Draw this bowl how you interpret it, and dont let judgements or doubt cloud what that is.” I slightly smile, and pick up an unsharpened pencil.

It almost feels like no time has passed at all when I realize that I have actually started something. Mrs. Beckman walks over and furrows her eyebrows.

“Wow, Mr. Jackson. Interesting interpretation.” I look across my work. Not only did I draw the fruit basket, but I drew past it of the person in front of me. Her face is always hidden, but I know its a girl. Whenever I looked beyond my canvas I always saw the back of hers. I always wanted to see who was behind it, but for some reason I never did. Ruins the intrigue I guess.

“I didn’t even realize what I was drawing.” I said. Mrs. Beckman placed a hand on my shoulder.

“Keep up the good work Stuart. With an eye like that, you’ll go far.” She walks off, and the bell rings. “Okay class that's it for today. Remember to keep thinking about your interpretations, and we will finish these tomorrow. Have a good rest of your day.” Some of the class walks off mumbling conversations with whoever they thought necessary. I grab my sketchbook, and place it in my bag. Out of habit I look up at the easel across from me, but like always she’s always gone before I’m even done packing up.

What an intriguing thing indeed.

271 Reviews

Reviews: 271
Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:16 am
Gravity says...

Wren

Ever since the day Miel found me, I would stop to pet him and then take him back to Dexter's room. Miel had a funny way of getting out and Dexter and I started getting somewhat friendly. I liked how cheerful he was, though I could only put up with him for so long, but he appreciated how much I cared for his cat.

The second week of school I went back to my room immediately after class and changed into something more comfortable. I slid on a pair of skinny jeans, hopping and dragging them over my legs almost comically before tugging them into my soft, brown leather combat boots. Then I just put on a loose, forest green shirt made of super soft material. I put my hair in a braid and grabbed a sweater, readying myself to go outside. I also took a messenger bag with my sketchbook and some drawing pencils and a book of Robert Frost poems. I planned on spending most of my time outside, I didn't really care about homework and the teachers, though were irritated slightly, didn't really seem to care all that much either.

I opened my door and then headed down the hallway, slinging my messenger bag across my body and flipping through the Robert Frost poems, making sure the one I wanted was in the book.

"Oof," I said, slamming into something solid and cold as I landed on my butt.

"Oh. Sorry." It was Richard, the bloodsucker. The blood addict. He looked at me curtly, not offering a hand to pull me up.

"Um." I was tangled in my messenger bag. The strap was twisted and I couldn't untwist it without standing up. But of course, I couldn't stand up while the messenger bag was in my way.

"Oh." He extended a hand, his face turning into an ironic smile. "Need some help with that?"

I took his hand for a split second to get off the ground and then immediately let go, but he held on.

"You know, a girl like you should have more of a social life. You're nice," he smirked, "Pretty." Ordinarily this would be a compliment but when Richard set his eye on something he wanted, he got it. He had a history of kiss and bliss, or kissing a girl and then biting her and then casting her off.

I simply stayed silent, untangled my bag and headed outside, making a beeline straight for the woods.
And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs,
And prayers and proclamations

-Florence + The Machine (All This and Heaven Too)

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:36 am
View Likes
Basil says...

Rayne

I’m woken by a knocking on my door. Pushing myself off my bed, I adjust the baggy t-shirt I slept in, and walk over to the door to open it. Standing before me is a girl with dark-ish hair and bright green eyes. She has a surprised look on her face, not saying anything.

My lips curl into a frown. “Can I help you?” I ask, glancing at the wings on her back.

“Hi, you must be Rayne!” She says, her smile widening as she brushes her fringe from her face. “I’m Ximena, your new roommate!”

My instantaneous reaction is to shut the door. The girl yelps as the hard wood slams into her face. I walk back over to my bed and drop onto it. Either I’m being punked or this is a dream. And not a very pleasant one.

There is a knock at the door again, and I grudgingly get up. I walk over to the door and open it to find the same girl standing there.

“What?” I snap.

“Uhm … I’m supposed to be sharing a room with you,” she says in a half cheery voice tinged with confusion.

“Right, this isn’t a joke,” I eye her up and down. Her wings will annoy me, I’m certain of it. She’s an angel, and by the looks of things I don’t think she’s a half blood. “Fine. Come in.”

The girl comes into the room and tentatively walks over to the other bed. She places her belongings down and turns to me, a wide smile plastered to her face.

“I suppose we should get acquainted first,” she holds out her hand. “You know I’m Ximena –“

“And I’m tired,” I give her a look as I drop onto my bed yet again. “So either be quiet, or go do whatever it is you need to do before class.”

Ximena looks crestfallen as she looks down. I roll onto my side and close my eyes to go to sleep. But her shuffling about the room keeps me awake. After having an internal debate with myself, I get up, grab my school uniform from the ground and walk into the bathroom. After showering and dressing, I walk back out and finish unpacking my bag, finally able to shove it under my bed, with my clothes in their respective drawers.

“What do you have first up?” Ximena asks me.

“Math, unfortunately,” I gripe.

“Me too!” Zimena beams.

Oh jeez. “Lovely,” I roll my eyes. “Let’s go then.”

Ximena nods and follows me out of the dorm room. As we walk down the hall to our first class, all I can think is, ‘Of all the people I could be sharing a room with, it’s this one!’

I sip at my hot chocolate, watching the sun disappear over the horizon. I’m fully aware of where Arthur is, but I’m also focused on my surroundings. I can hear the birds in the trees, and it relaxes me. The cool breeze ruffling my hair and clothes is nice against my skin. I sigh with contentment, and Arthur turns to me.

“Are you okay?” He asks, a slight smile on his face.

“I’m fine,” I grin back at him. “This is really nice.”

“I’m glad you like it,” he smiles wider.

“I do have a question though,” I put down my hot chocolate and face him. “Why are you doing all this? I mean, why are you trying to make such a good impression?”

“I just want to,” Arthur says confidently.

I grab an English muffin and pick at it. Not the same as what I got when living in England. Mind you, those were all homemade. My mother didn’t like shop bought food, and loved to cook. When she left, she gave all her recipes to our maid, who did all the cooking. I always looked forward to lunch and dinner because the food was better than gourmet restaurant food.

“I should probably get back to my room,” I say quickly, memories threatening to overload my mind.

“Are you sure?” Arthur asks.

“Yeah, I’m kinda tired,” I lie.

Arthur frowns. “Well, if you’re sure,” he says.

“Yeah,” I stand up and brush off my skirt. “Thanks for the picnic, Arthur.”

He stands up and manages a smile. “No problem Rayne, it was a pleasure spending time with you.”

“Yeah, yeah it was,” I find myself smiling.

“Goodnight, then,” Arthur says.

“Night,” I nod and turn around. I walk away, trying to keep a steady pace. As soon as Arthur is out of sight, I take off at a run for the wall that surrounds the Academy. When I reach it, I slam my hands into the stone bricks and force my breathing to be calm. Fire sparks at the tips of my fingers and crackles under my palms. I watch them dance across the stone, my heart rate slowing down. I hate my memories. And I can’t just go back to my room because now I have a roommate. Oh jeez.

“Hey, are you alright?” A voice asks behind me.

I tense and spin around, expecting the worst.
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:54 am
View Likes
TheForgottenKing says...

Daemon

As head of Taurus, I was sometimes given the responsibility of patrolling the halls as a student patroller which was merely the schools idea of showing other students they weren't constricting and controlling everything. I almost knew what was going on. The kids who were always seeing the doctors. They would always disappear after a few weeks. And Grace was one of them. My job was to figure a way out of this place before they decided she was too much of an issue.

Sighing I decided to take a walk outside the school walls, into the forest. I flashed the guard my badge as he nodded at me, watching carefully. I walked out the gate, breathing in the fresh air as night took over. This is where I was at my most powerful. But I couldn't use my powers. They had been constricted ever since I came too Darken. And now with Grace... Well I knew my curse as well as my father.

I summoned Abbernal, walking slowly around the school walls, whistling tunelessly, when I saw the green fire of a summoning. Groaning, I took a step into the flame, showing up in my father's palace. My body was still back at Darken, but my mind was with my father. I glanced at him in his demon form and rolled my eyes, taking in the throne room.

"You've redecorated." I said, glancing around at the black tiles and ebony statues. My father grunted at me." Daemon, it's good to see you son." I let out a laugh." I don't think you summoned me to just exchange pleasantries. What do you want father?" His red eyes narrowed as he took a step off of his throne." Straight to the point. So be it. I can sense you've fallen in love. Your heart doesn't belong to yours. After a little digging I discovered that you've lost it to a mortal?" He said in disgust.

I gave a low now." She is indeed a mortal." I said sarcastically. I knew how much he hated humans. He growled angrily." I demand you distance yourself at once. Your not meant to be with a human, your meant to.." He trailed off in a huff. I extended my arms." I'm too what? Is this part of my great destiny? The reason you gave me away to be raised by an Angel?" I demanded. He looked away." It was not a personal decision." He muttered. I looked away in disgust.

"When I returned father, you demanded I take a life, knowing I couldn't very well do it after the way I was raised. Yet you demanded it of me! To kill." I looked away." I just wish... That you had been more understanding." I glared at him." I was born to raise hell and destroy all that's good, yet I've been raised to fight evil. Perhaps I should just kill myself. After all I'm a Prince of Hell, from two of the oldest bloodlines since the time of Cain and Abel. That would certainly be fighting evil."

I looked away again." Send me back father. I'm leaving Darken. I will protect Grace with my life. And I know what you must do. I will take my throne father. Tell mother I said hello." I snapped my fingers.

Opening my eyes, I found myself back In Darken's borders, staring up way the sky, Abernaal watching me closely. I stood up, brushing off my shirt. I began to walk back to the school complex, when I felt a familiar aura nearby. I chuckled to myself as I turned and began to walk towards my mother's Niece and my cousin.

I watched her angrily hit a wall, her powers sparking a bit. My eyes widen in surprise and jealousy. How come her powers get to work and not mine? I cleared my throat and spoke up." Hey, are you alright?" Rayne spun around, her face a mix of emotions, both fear and anger, her fists clenched as if ready for a fight. Abernaal immediately growled at her and she lowered her fists. Abernaal calmed down, his eyes watching her steadily.

She glanced at me." You got the student patrol thing a ma jig tonight?" I nodded, watching as sparks lit up her hands occasionally. Whenever they did, she clenched her hands, trying to suppress them." You can't deny what's in your blood Rayne." I sighed. She shook her head." I know what I am cousin. But I won't let it control me... I can't loose control." I leaned against the wall.

"Rayne. It's not your fault. It isn't. Neither is it your father's. It's your mother's. She didn't train you properly." She shook her head angrily, the Sparks lighting up again." It's not my mother's fault Daemon. It's all mine. I-" I grabbed her hand and focused. She watched as the Sparks began to turn into flame, and slowly slide up my arm. We both watched as it began to dance along my body.

"I've the blood of the most dangerous beings in the universe cousin. And it makes me want to tear my enemies to pieces. At random times I just feel the urge to tear someone's throat out. But I don't." I let go of her hand, and watched the flame extinguish, since my powers didn't work." How do you do if?" She whispered. I smiled at her." Me? I focus on those I care about. Michal is like a bother to me. Grace is... Very important to me. And I realize if I lost control that it would put them in a lot of danger. And I won't let that happen to them."

I glanced at her." You were never trained properly. To control your powers. They're not something to fear, but something to use as a tool. Most demons would see the world burn, but I rather like this world, and don't want it destroyed." I smile." Tell you what. Go to Room A12 tommorow afternoon. I'll teach you some of my secrets for controlling myself." She cocked her eye." And in return?"

I made a face." I need help with Davidsons math science homework he assigned. I don't understand it, and from what I hear, you do." She nodded. I smiled at her placing my arm around her." Your family from my mother's side. Now I know relations don't mean a lot to demons, but they do to me. We'll do this together. As the wonder squad." She let out a laugh as we began walking to the school complex." The wonder squad? Went back to inhaling paint chips again Daemon?" I wink at her.

Eventually we make it to her dorm. She made a face as we approached it." What's the matter with you?" I asked. She made a face." I have a new roommate. And... I think she's an angel." My eyes widen." They decided to room an angel... With a demon? Well, half demon, but that's enough. Really?? I bet your having the time of your life." I chuckled. She punched me in the arm as she began to open the door.

Suddenly it burst open from the inside."Your back!" The girl said happily. My eyes widened. She took in the fact I was there. Immedialty she began to blush furiously." Oh... I didn't know you were bringing a boy with you. We're not supposed to have boys in our rooms." She said. My mouth dropped as I looked at Rayne. She gave me a pained look." Shoot me Dameon." I nodded, slightly stunned." Oh, she's an angel all right."

I turned to Rayne." Actually, your control lessons start right away." I shoved her into her room." Don't kill the angel!" I said as I quickly closed the door. Rayne was glaring at me the entire time.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:05 pm
Europa says...

Richard Avernus

I sat on the edge of my bed, arms braced against my legs, slouched over to where the ends of my wild black hair were tickling my knees. My head pounded. My hands shook.

"Do you plan on just sitting like that all day?" Arthur's voice came from somewhere above me. I heard him bustling around the room as he got ready for the day. I lifted my head a little and gave him a livid look through my bangs, and showcased my fangs in a snarling growl, then dropped my head into my hands. The rustling stopped for a moment, then promptly began again. I grumbled as I stood up and finished tying my tie, and shrugged on the red dress coat.

"I'm going to meet Dexter. Don't wait for me."

better yet, why don't you just stay away from me.

I shoved my hands in my pockets and set off down the hall, eyes fixed on the floor, trying to ignore my aching head. Miel flashed by my feet, pelting after some brown little rodent. I watched him round the corner. Then looked down the hall to the stairs that lead to the classroms.

I ran after the stupid cat.

As I chased the golden tabby and the--what was that, a mouse?--I set aside a time in my day to start seriously rethinking my life. I heard a shout and another student came careening into the passageway. We slammed into each other in a tangle of limbs and angry curses. The episode didn't do much in the way of a headache cure. I pushed away from the human roadblock, who turned out to be Stuart. We leaped up and I gave him a bad-tempered sneer and brushed off my coat. Stuart scowled right back at me and I shot off before he could get a word out, bumping his shoulder as I went. Miel had the mouse--Yes, I could tell now, it was no doubt a mouse--pinned and squeaking in dismay, and I hoisted the cat up by the scruff of his neck.

"Vile abomination. Could you at least have been a little less predictable?"
Miel's only reply was to hiss and attempt to scratch my face. I held him out at arms length as he slashed out at me, muttering "Yeah, yeah." under my breath.I passed passed Stuart on my way to Dex's room.
"I believe that rodent is yours?" I inquired coldly. I carried the still attacking Miel up the stairs, once again not waiting for the Werewolf's reply. I quickly climbed up the staircase and navigated the halls to Dexter's room. I lifted my free hand and knocked once, at which point Miel succeeded in sinking his claws and teeth into my arm. I shouted a brief "Ouch!" and flung my arm out to the side. The cat went flying off my arm and over the balcony, flipping head over paws before smacking into Harold, who happened to be flying by at that moment. Harold yelped in surprise as the furious cat collided with his face and he went spiraling to the ground. The door to Dexter's room opened. A dark haired boy stood in the doorway. Under his arm, I saw Dexter floating in midair, his legs crossed underneath him. Or rather, above him,as he was, as per usual, flipped upside down. He waved cheerily at me. At the same moment Harold's voice came roaring from the lower floor.

"I DEMAND THE BLOOD OF THE MAN WHO HIT ME IN THE EYE WITH THAT CAT!!!!"

Dexter started so badly that he fell from the air and smacked headfirst into the ground. I pushed past Dexter's roommate into the room.

"I'm borrowing your roommate." I muttered to him.

They day's almost over. I sighed to myself as I rushed to my final class. A young looking girl with black hair flashed by me and this time I stopped in time. The girl didn't seem to notice me as she disappeared from view.

Well, that's a nice change, a least...

I started to continue on my way when I noticed something lying in the middle of the hallway. A white binder filled to bursting point with papers.
It must belong to that girl.
I picked it up and rushed down the way she'd went. I spotted her soon enough, and rushed to catch up with her.

"Excuse me."

The girl turned around and I held out the binder to her. The girl's eyes widened.

"You dropped--"
THe girl snatched the binder from me and shot off full-pelt down the hall.

Strange...why do I get the feeling that isn't some school assignment?

Latin was a fine class all-in-all, but still, I was glad the school day was finally over. M headache had subsided and my hands were steady, I may even have the patience today to oversee the rest of the Leonitas initiations.

"Mr. Avernus?"
I turned at the sound of the voice. A large, official looking woman was standing behind me. I regarded her coldly.

"Make this quick. I do have somewhere to be."

The woman glowered at me.

"Mr. Avernus, I'm given to believe you have a blood addiction?"

I gave her a wary look.

"You believe correctly..." I ventured cautiously.

"We have decided you need a little extra help." Her voice grew sticky with fake sympathy. I hid my clenched fists in my pockets. "You'll be seeing a therapist, effective tomorrow." My skin grew colder.

Therapist...they know...

"Thank you, but I can handle my own rehabilitation." I said, forcing civility into my tone. The woman's expression grew dark.

"I'm sorry, Richard, but I'm afraid this is mandatory."

I was sitting on my bed again, glowering at the floor.
How did they find out? How did they know? I was so careful...I promised...

I looked up suddenly. Arthur was lying in her bed with a book, his features eerily illuminated by his reading light.

"Arthur." I let all the urgency show in my voice. Arthur looked up from his book, eyeing me distantly.

"Don't give me that look. Just listen. This is important."

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:13 am
jumpingsheep says...

Mira Coda

I have to be more careful.

Yesterday, Mira had risked everything, everything, over her stupid binder, dropping it in the hall. Right out in the open.

So today, when the kid who found it confronted her about it, Mira was hardly surprised.

He tapped her on the shoulder after Latin class. Mira turned around startled.

"Oh. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you." He had wild black hair, and startling, silver eyes.

"Oh... no... it's fine." said Mira. She needed to get away now before this kid, Richard, she remembered his name was, started asking too many questions.

"You were that girl I saw in the hall yesterday, correct?"

Crap on toast.

"Yeah. That was me." She may as well tell the truth. Mira could tell that Richard was no fool.

"Look, whatever you saw," continued Mira, "It's not important. Forget about it." Mira realized that she sounded ruder than she intended, although at this point, she just had to get this kid away.

"I never see you much around school. You must have a lot of classes..."

"Yeah... I keep to myself. I have my own projects."

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Stop talking, Mira.

Richard raised an eyebrow and gave her a meaningful look. "Is that all? Why would your binder be so full?"

There was no stopping this kid, and Mira's patience was wearing thin. "All right, this really isn't the place to discuss this. Follow me." Mira lead Richard down the hall to an unused classroom and shut the door.

Richard leaned on one of the desks. "Admit it. You know, too."

All righty then, this one just jumped straight to the point. He wants answers. I respect that.

Mira pulled out her binder of notes and slapped it down on the table. "What I'm about to show you is important and dangerous. And if I go down, I'm taking you down with me."

"I'd expect no less. Even if you didn't want to drag me down, I'm afraid we wouldn't have much choice in the matter..."

Richard picked up the binder and his eyes widened as he began to flip through.

"Hey!" said Mira, and snatched it back. "I'm in charge of the binder." Mira pulled a few select photos out and showed them to Richard as she began to explain. "Darken is a prison. If you knew that... kudos to you. If you didn't, this is a wake up call"

Richard looked away. "Trust me... I know plenty."

"How much?"

He shook his head and looked back at the pictures. "I know what happens to the students who go missing." A grim looked crossed his eyes. "From personal experience," he said shortly. His hands clenched into fists as he spoke.

Mira smiled humorlessly. "I know, too. I've seen...things. But I'm getting us out." She pulled out a few more papers. "These notes have mapped this facility inside and out. If we want to get us and everyone else out, this is the best shot we got."

Richard nodded. "I know of another student who can help us gain some more allies. If you know so much about this school, you also know that the two of us might not be enough. Plus, there's a certain student I refuse to leave without."

"Of course; two won't be nearly enough. Hell, all of us may not be enough." Mira paced around the room and steepled her hands as she thought out loud. "I've been watching students, too. Arthur Patel, Grace Wilson, Stuart Jackson, Sasha Reynolds, Fenrir Blitzwell, Ximena Cervantes.... all students who would seem willing to escape. And I'm sure there's plenty more who would do some with some motivation."

The boy sat on the edge of the desk, looking pensive. "If we were to start recruiting, I'd definitely start with Arthur. His powers would be...useful to our fight, to say the least, but I also insist on bringing Dexter. As for Stuart and Demon, I believe all we'd need to do is convince Grace to go. They'd never dream of leaving her alone."

This guy knows his stuff, thought Mira. We should have started working together sooner. She began to form a plan in her head. "Okay. You talk to them. Tell them to meet in Lab B on Tuesday after class. Lab B is empty that day."'

Mira was not expecting further conversation, but Richard had a rebuttal, and Mira didn't miss the quick scowl. "But would it be wise to tell them right out? If they didn't consent, and still knew, it would put them and the rest of us in danger..."

Luckily, Mira had already thought of these things. "Arthur is overconfident. And he is already disgusted with what is going on here. That combination will work to our benefit. And the others... well... Grace is enough to keep them in line."

"I'd recommend keeping them in the dark until they agree to join us. And Fenrir? His knowledge is a useful tool, but he seems to me the type who would be reluctant to leave at best, impossible to remove at worst."

"So we have Arthur tap Fenrir for his knowledge." Mind readers: ever so useful.

Richard rested his chin on his clasped hands, almost like he was praying. "He might be able to persuade him to join anyway. But I'm more concerned with who he might drag along..." He shook his head, obviously thinking of someone in particular.

Harold, maybe?

"All right," said Mira impatiently. "We're getting ahead of ourselves. Get Dexter and Arthur on board first. The others will come later as we need them. If we need them."

Richard nodded and started walking towards the door. "And in the meantime, we bide our time. Wait for the right moment. The right distraction."

"Yes. And Richard?"

He stopped, eyeing Mira with a certain keenness. "Yes?"

"I lied about us going down together. I... was testing you. If one of us gets caught, they will not give any names. They will not give away anything. If I get caught... you finish the job"

With a grave look, one of understanding, the teen nodded. "Understood. And I suppose the staff doesn't know anything about your awareness?"

Mira hesitated. The staff...

Mira and the directors had a... special... relationship, to put it mildly. Six months ago, she had been called into a conference, as the staff had begun to catch onto her. She had thrown them off her trail for now, but this didn't mean that she felt their eyes, watching her every move like birds of prey. And this was why escape was more important than ever. Mira responded carefully. "Of course not."

Richard stared intently, but all he said was "Then I wouldn't need to warn you to be careful. You know as well as I how good those dogs are at sniffing out people like us. And...in the case we were both found out..."

"Well... that would be a dark day at Darken indeed"
hello there

Stay gold, Ponyboy.
— S.E. Hinton