z

Young Writers Society

Darken Private Academy for the Supernatural

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:17 am
Europa says...

Harold Abernathy

The air sung through my large black wings as I shot through the campus, my keen eyes searching for that heathen, that snake, the insufferable wretch that had flung that blasted cat! I rubbed my cheek morosely. The claw marks had scabbed over, but my pride still stung. I glared down on the hall below as my gaze focused on the dark head of a tall boy and his shorter, blue-haired lackey.

There you are!

I snapped my wings to my side and streaked down to the floor below.

"RICHAAAARD!" Right before the moment of impact, my wings unfolded and I jerked to a sharp landing. The Vampire turned slowly, eyeing me callously.

"What is it."

I snapped my wings out to their full length, barely noticing the dismayed cries of the students as they narrowly avoided being poked in the eye with the sharp red talons at the end.

"You dare insult me with your flying cats? You...you radical! Well?!"

Richard fixed me with a piercing glare. He always was a hard one to cow. I puffed out my chest and glided towards him and his little blue minion. The little one was looking at me strangely. No doubt wondering at the excellence that was The Mighty Harold. He looked back up at his companion, who looked more than a little bored.

"Wow. He is super ticked at you."

Richard only replied with a cool
"Oh, really?"

I flapped my wings, lifting myself into the air in front of a window, the light shining magnificently on my scarlet hair, making the unruly blue stripe stand out even more. I pointed an imperious finger.

"Enough of this! PREPARE TO FACE MY ALMIGHTY WRATH, PEASANT!"

Well, now he at least didn't look bored, but I wasn't exactly shooting for angry either.

"Oh for heavens sake! Shut up, you delusional airbag!" He snapped.

I'll admit, I became a little less mighty after that; it had jarred me more than a little. (Note I only said a little less mighty.) I dropped back to the ground, blinking. Richard turned on his heel and stalked away, followed by Little Vamp Blue. I watched them go wordlessly.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:32 pm
LordZeus says...

Arthur Pendragon Patel

Arthur looked up, annoyed, from his novel as Richard called him. But the annoyance drained out of him as he read Richard's thoughts, instantly knowing everything he wanted to say.

"Arthur, you see-" Richard began, but Arthur cut him off with a thought message. Stop. I know, I just read you. But do not speak aloud on this topic any longer. The walls have ears. Just think it and I will hear.

Richard nodded. Well, if you know, then you realize that we have to get a group together to escape.

Arthur nodded.I agree. So, what people did you have in mind or this group?

Richard replied. Well, Mira and I were thinking of Dexter, Grace Wilson, Stuart Jackson, Fenrir Blitzwell, and Daemon Purson.

Arthur shivered. The rest I'm okay with, but as for Daemon...that boy is dangerous. I've read his mind, though it was kind of troublesome to get into. He has mind defenses. From what I know, he's connected to a terrible prophecy...one that endangers the world. His talents would be useful, but... he's unpredictable. Having him on board might be more troublesome than helpful.

Richard considered this for a moment before replying, I suppose. We'll see about that. Is there anyone else you have in mind?

Arthur grinned. Well, I might try to get Harold on board. And Rayne Lantry Burke and Ben are rather unpredictable as well. They're in my gang, but it might nor be too wise to have them along, as they seem rather happy with the school.

Richard frowned. I don't know about Harold...he's very lazy. He might just be a hindrance.

Arthur replied, Hi powers would be useful. He can alter memories, Richard. I can think of any number of times during our escape where that could be useful.

Richard replied, Well...so long as you can keep him in line.

Arthur replied, I can.

Richard nodded. Then I suppose it's settled. By the way, congratulations on your campaign. From what I see, you're probably going to be my deputy

Arthur grinned. Thanks. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to be going.

Richard frowned again. Where? It's past curfew.

Arthur replied out loud, "That's confidential. Bye." Then he left the room.

Five minutes later, He and his gang stood inside the administration building, after Arthur managed to get them in using a stolen key.

"Are we really going to do this?" asked Fenrir, looking apprehensive.

Arthur tried to smile reassuringly at him as he replied, "It'll be easy. We just get into the headmaster's office with the keys I got from the peon, download the next test answers on our pen drive, and get out."

Fenrir nodded but still looked unsure. However, Arthur had no time to continue to reassure Fenny as he heard footsteps from behind them.

"Guard!" Burke hissed. "Let's get inside!"

Harold and Ben nodded as they closed the doors and locked them. Arthur sighed with relief as they walked quickly through the building.

"Here we are." said Burke as they came to a door at the end of the hall.

"You sure?" replied Fenny.

"Positive" muttered Burke. "I'm called here like, every other day."

Arthur unlocked the doors as they stepped in. They turned on the computer at the desk.

Ben cursed. "it needs a password to unlock." he muttered.

Then he turned to Arthur hopefully. "Do you know it?" he asked.

Arthur frowned. "The peon didn't know it..."

Fenny, who actually looked rather happy, said, "Well, too bad. Let's go back."

"Wait..." muttered Arthur lifting up a hand as he thought. He remembered that his father had once told him that the greatest Thought users could read mechanical minds as well as human and animal. "However," he had said. It leaves them drained. While you have the greatest potential of the use of Thought of anyone this century, doing that is dangerous, and may get you killed. Never do it.

Right then, Arthur had sworn that he would never attempt such a thing. But he was now having second thoughts...he put his hand on the computer and focused, sending out his mental consciousness to investigate. After great energy spent, he sensed the computer. It's presence was cold, unlike the warmth of the human minds around him.

He tried to connect with it, to command it, and finally succeeded. Exerting control over it, he unlocked the computer, found the test answers and downloaded them to the pen drive, with the power of thought alone.

When he opened his eyes, he felt dizzy. His friends were staring dumbfounded at him.

"Hey." he muttered tiredly, right before his vision swirled and he collapsed on the ground. Then his vision went black.

~~

Arthur jolted upright as he awoke. He looked around to find that he was in a white room. He was on a bed (also white), and there were two other beds in the same room, both unoccupied. Standing near him was a thin woman in a nurse's outfit. He guessed that he was in the infirmary, which he confirmed by reading her mind.

The nurse smiled pleasantly at him. "I'm glad to see that you are awake." she said. "Your friends brought you in a while ago. You had fainted, you were running a high fever, and your heart was only faintly beating. Whatever you did, I recommend not doing it again. You nearly died."

Arthur smiled in what he hoped was a grateful manner at the nurse, but a new thought had just crossed his mind. The word 'boomerang' sounded better to him then than it ever had before. He was convinced that it was of some great significance, but wasn't sure what.

Seeing his thoughtful look, the nurse smiled. "You were unconscious for two whole days, and you are still running a high fever. You are probably delirious right now. You have a guest by the way. Should I send her in?"

Arthur mulled that over. Two whole days seemed impossible...but he also wondered who his guest was. "Yes" he decided. And then, after a pause, he added thoughtfully, "Boomerang."

The nurse nodded, and opened the door. And to Arthur's surprise and delight, Rayne Lantry walked in.

"Hey" he said with a grin.

Rayne smiled. "Arthur!" she exclaimed, sitting on the side of his bed. "It's great to see you! i've been waiting to get in. How are you?"

Arthur pondered her question, but one that appeared far more important came to mind, so he decided to ask it to Rayne.

"Have you ever wondered about the syllables in Boomerang? he asked. " I mean, I know there are three, but is it boo-mer-ang or boom-er-ang? I suppose it could also be boo-me-rang, come to think of it..."

Rayne looked at him with concern as he mused this, then looked at the nurse, who shrugged. "I told you that he was probably delirious. Who knows what's going on in his head?"

Arthur muttered, "Boomerang." again, and collapsed into fits of laughter, as for some reason it seemed like the funniest word in the world to him.

The nurse said, "I have other patients, so I'll leave you to it." and left the room in a hurry.

Rayne turned to him thoughtfully and said, "Arthur, are you okay?"

Still giggling, Arthur replied, "Fine. I'm great, really."

Rayne seemed doubtful, and said, "Okay, here's an exercise to see if you're still thinking straight. Tell me what I'm thinking now."

Arthur frowned. "Can't."

Rayne's eyes widened. "What? Since when?"

Arthur replied, "Since that night in the teacher's lounge. I think that's when I started."

"Started what?" asked Rayne confusedly.

"Started to have feelings for you." replied Arthur staring into her eyes. "You have beautiful eyes. DId you know that?" Then he answered his own question as the answer came to him. "Of course you do, they're yours!" and collapsed into fits of laughter.

Rayne looked at him strangely. "Feelings?" she asked. "How would that affect anything?"

Arthur nodded and replied, "You see. we Psy are told not to get to know non Psy, because then, there's less of a chance for feelings to occur. They're fiddly, feelings. They mess with our powers. When we develop feelings of protectiveness or caring towards a Non-Psy, our minds put up a protection on them. Even other mind readers will have a hard time reading you. But I can't because it's my protection. And I've gotten to know you."

Rayne smiled softly and said, "So you...care about me?"

Arthur smiled. "Yeah, but maybe more. In fact...I think I might love you." then he laughed, and darkness clouded his vision, blurring it.

Arthur murmured, "Boo-mer-ang. I think that's it." before succumbing to exhaustion and falling asleep again.

Reviews: 0
Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:02 am
View Likes
TheForgottenKing says...

Daemon

"La-de-da." I muttered, staring at my homework, Grace's head in my lap as she read a book. We were in the library for our study hour as usual. I chewed on my lip as I wrote in an answer on my homework, than glanced at Grace, who was staring intently at her book."What are you reading??" I asked, trying to get a look at the cover.

She stuck her tongue out at me." Who knew, Daemon could be interested in a book?" She mused out loud. I made a face at her." I'm more interested in the book because you're reading it. And I'm also interested in you." She blushes deeply, and looked at me shyly." Oh it's just a story." I raised my eyebrows." Oh a story. In a book? Who knew?!" I said with sarcasm. She laughed." Well," she said, cuddling into me." It's about a young nobleman, and his struggles. With his jealous family trying to control him, the woman he loves, and the day to day of being a nobleman." She said, eyes twinkling at me.

"This sounds like a story I know all to well." I said wryly. I put my face in my hand." I'm not at all sorry I kissed you... But are you sure you want to... Become attached to me in that way?" I asked her." I'm a Demon Prince, meant to bring along the apocalypse." Grace looked at me carefully, before placing a hand on mine." Daemon, we can't let people who tell us what we are contort our lives." I made a face." And yet you refuse to tell me what got you so emotional the other night."

Grace sighed, exasperated." I'm going to hit you with this book, if you keep asking, I swear it." I smiled as the bell rang, signaling the end of the study period. I gave her a hug." I'll see you at dinner than." She nodded, before grabbing her backpack, and heading towards her next period. I watched her wistfully, as she looked back at me and smiled. I waved at her, before grabbing my backpack, and taking another exit.

When I caught up with him, I flicked Michal's ear." Isn't it odd that your named after an Arch Angel?" I asked him. He made a face at me." Well, anyways, polls are this tomorrow, everyone knows that you're going to be top dog again, but I may be losing my position." I looked at him." To who?" I asked incredulously. He made a face.

"Some newcomer. Adrian Montez. Little werewolf dude. But, I'll still be on the council." I shrugged."I'll most likely miss ya." I said, punching him in the arm." I have a Yelp as I ran into a girl, who had stopped to pick up some dropped homework. She stood up quickly, looking offended as if my mere touching her was an offense to the Gods." Watch where your going!" She snapped, her blond hairdo coming apart as she leaned down to pick up the paper she had dropped.

Eager to help, I leaned down to pick it up for her. When our hands touched, I felt a shock rippled through me. Something about her was oddly familiar... Yet extremely strange and alien. I stared at her as he blue eyes gave me a once over, than she walked away with a huff. Her back was straight... But the hand I had touched was shaking, as if she felt what I had felt.

"Yo. Boss man. Earth to Daemon." Michal said, snapping his finger in my ear." Who is that?" I asked sharply. He glanced down the hall at her retreating figure." Sasha Reynolds. First year. Actually Taurus. She joined up last week. Why? You look like you've seen a ghost."

I shook my head, clearing it." Perhaps I have." I muttered. I cleared my throat." It's nothing. Let's just get to class." I said, hurrying to A.P Math.
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

Monster is a relative term. To a canary, a cat is a monster. We're just used to being the cat.
— Henry Wu, "Jurassic World"