Young Writers Society

Star Wars: Rise of the Legion

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:02 pm
View Likes
Vellichor says...

Derryn Ordo

Derryn yawned and reached up over his head, cracking his neck and back as he stood up from the pilot's seat. XD-45 watched dutifully through the viewport from the co-pilot's and remain silent as the bounty hunter left the cockpit in search of something to drink.

Arribecca growled his acknowledgement from his own seat as Derryn passed and he nodded in return before stopping.

"Where's Pekt?"

"Acoooh cacoohuanwa ah orwhoooh?" Derryn still sometimes had trouble understanding his friend, but the sarcasm was clear in his voice.

"Sorry I asked then." He smiled and the two chuckled as the Mandalorian continued down the metal steps, headed for the small and rudimentary mess area the group had made use of. Sighing, he reached into the cooled box and pulled out a bottle of cold Ebla. He popped the cap with his shoulder plate and started back to the cockpit of his ship, the Terminus, a D-5 Mantis Patrol ship that had come at great expense to Derryn. Normally he would have gone for a less expensive and rudimentary ship, but after having been gone for so long he had decided to treat himself.

Having finished his Ebla, Derryn tossed the bottle into a small container as he passed, hearing the incinerator fire momentarily and a burning smell accompany the now disintegrated bottle.

"Ok, Exdee, how close are we getting?" Derryn took his seat once more and looked down to review their progress. "We should be reaching the Coruscant system in approximately 4 hours, 38 minutes and 12 seconds. Counting...." The droid's metallic voice intoned and Derryn leaned back again, reaching for his helmet before pulling it over his head and activating the shaders in the visor. "Wake me when we arrive, Exdee, and make sure the others are ready when we land."

"Yes, sir." Derryn smiled vaguely. It would be an experience to walk past his former acquaintances and be the only one to know. More and more he was liking his clean slate, even if it meant dealing with pesky customers who got cocky and decided they didn't want to pay. Oh well. He thought. Once I take care of a few bold customers then we'll be getting back into things.

He put his hands behind his head and closed his eyes.
╔══╗░░░░╔╦╗░░╔═════╗
║╚═╬════╬╣╠═╗║░▀░▀░║
╠═╗║╔╗╔╗║║║╩╣║╚═══╝║
╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩╩╩═╝╚═════╝

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:50 am
View Likes
wakarimasen says...

Ro Fidsmor

Newly acquired scrap parts jangling in her pockets, Ro and Erik made their way to the retreating figures of Grin and ... had Uncle Jasek arrived already? What had happened to his arm?

"Dad!" Ro called out as they caught up to the pair. "Uncle Jasek!"

"Hey, you!" Ignoring his apparent injury, Jasek picked her up and spun her around, something he'd done since she was a toddler. With a grimace, he set her down. "When did you get so big, little one?"

Ro blushed, knowing Erik had seen the whole thing. "I'm fourteen, Uncle Jasek."

"Who's this?" Grin asked, suspiciously eyeing Erik.

"I'm Erik Stone. I'm one of the riggers here." Erik put out a hand to shake and added, "Captain Fidsmor, I've heard a lot about you."

Grin didn't smile, but he shook Erik's hand. "Please, what's passed is past. Ro, you looked like you had quite an adventure today."

He didn't look happy at all that she'd ventured off without telling him. Well, now we're even, she thought smugly.

"Erik showed me around his workshop, and--" Remembering that Erik had asked her to keep the Firestone a secret, she abruptly changed the subject. "Uncle Jasek, what happened to your arm before?"

Jasek shrugged. "Just a run-in with a trigger-happy passerby. It's nothing serious - I'll bandage it up on the ship."

"You know how to get in," Grin said, in reference to the endless series of pass-codes he had in place, to keep intruders away. "Ro, you should get cleaned up - now that Jasek's here, we'll be leaving soon."

Ro glanced sadly at her new friend. If they left now, who knew when she'd see Erik again?

"Dad, can Erik stay for dinner?" She knew how Grin felt about inviting strangers aboard their personal space, but it seemed like the right thing to do. After all, Erik had treated her so nicely, like the brother she never had.

Grin gave Erik another suspicious once-over. "We'll talk about it. First and foremost, you need to change out those pajamas."

Call him Captain Congeniality, Ro thought, taking in Erik's befuddled expression. Grin wasn't exactly what you'd call a people person.

Waving slowly, she followed Jasek down the walkway to where the Jade Star was docked.

Grin Fidsmor

There's something familiar about this kid. Grin couldn't shake the feeling he'd met him somewhere before. There was something in his eyes. (He was noticing a lot of eyes today, wasn't he?) They reminded him of someone else's ... but that was next to impossible.

"You said your name's Erik. You're with Stone's crew, right? Is he your father?"

Erik nodded. "Yes, sir. I took care of the dent in your hyperdrive motivator the night you landed."

That finally made Grin crack smile. "You did good with that. I was pleasantly surprised."

Erik grinned from ear to ear. "Dad says I'm pretty handy. I can do anything if I set my mind to it. Bounty hunting, engineering, heck, even podracing...."

"So you're a Jack of all trades, huh?" Grin couldn't help but smile a little wider - he liked this kid's attitude. So much like himself, a long time ago. He gestured for Erik to follow him. "Come on, dinner'll get cold if we don't hurry up. Either that, or Ro will eat it all, the way she was working today."

Erik hurried after him. "Thanks, Captain Fidsmor!"

"Just Grin, please. I'm only a captain when my ship's in hyperspace. Plus, I think I have a job for you...."

Ro Fidsmor

Arsev, under the careful supervision of Uncle Jasek, was hard at work turning some fresh vegetables and eggs into something reasonably edible when Ro came out of the refresher. A puff of humid air followed her as she squeezed the last bit of moisture from her hair.

"How's your arm doing?" she asked of Jasek, who now had a bandage peeping out from under his sleeve.

"Oh, it's fine - barely a scratch where the blaster bolt grazed me," Jasek replied. "What have you been up to in the months I was gone?"

Ro shrugged. "Not much. But today, I found a few more parts for my ... secret project. Erik let me have some scrap pieces in return for the work I did with him and his friends. I just might have the palm activator finished by next week!"

Jasek reached into one of his utility belt's many pockets. "Speaking of which, I brought you something." He pulled out a small box, the kind Ro saw jewelry kept in at some of the more "posh" space stations they'd been to.

"Can I open it now?" she asked as a small tingle of excitement made its way up her spine - what could it be?

"Sure, why not?"

Slowly, carefully, Ro lifted the lid ... to reveal ... a small amethyst gem, set on a dainty chain. "It's beautiful...." She undid the tiny clasp and fastened the chain around her neck.

She ran back to the refresher, which housed the only mirror in the whole ship, to see how it looked. More than satisfied, she returned to the galley.

Careful to avoid hurting Uncle Jasek - she knew it hurt more than he was letting on - she hugged him. "Thank you!"

Then, "...but how does it fit with my project?"

"It's up to you, but every good lightsaber has a kyber crystal inside."

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:22 am
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Jacqueline Harless

You have probably heard the tales. The childhood stories of courageous heroes, and daring adventures destined to save the world. When Jacqueline Harless was young she used to believe she would be just like them. Only now, did she constantly think about how wrong she was. She sees herself as a small part of a galaxy more vast than the deepest parts of a human mind. Or any mind at that.

It's strange how quickly childhood dreams of destiny and hope can be crushed by the realities of the real world. To Jac the universe hasn’t done her any favors, therefore she doesn't intend to return any. For most of her life Jac has been a middle class citizen, who’s worked every single day of her life. It has mostly consisted of learning her father's work as a mechanic, and taking over his business after he became deadly ill 4 years ago. In her first 5 years of training, Jac quickly over-passed most average mechanic skills. Even her own father was surprised by her abilities. Most of her knowledge was self taught, and self discovered. And to this day her skill continues to grow. Her above average abilities have created a fairly popular reputation in many parts of the galaxy. Like anyone with a life that seems complete though, something still remains missing in Jac's mind.

It’s late in the day, and city has begun its rise into the energy of night. Jacqueline sits in a booth at the local diner a few blocks away from her shop. She coughs after drinking something with a harsh bitter taste, however it dulls the mind and that's good for Jac at night. She can't stand to think anymore than she has too. She rubs her temples as Gine, the owner of the diner, walks over. She takes a seat in front of Jacqueline smiling kindly.

“How’s the evening treating you Miss Jac?” Jacqueline has never been a people person. However, Gine was different. Gine was her only friend. After Jac’s father died, Gine had taken the role of making sure Jac was still functioning. Not only did Gine love Jac like a daughter, but she also felt like she owed something to Jac’s father, an old life long friend of hers. Gine is the one person that can get Jac to actually talk. Jac is annoyed by it sometimes, but she also is grateful for someone. Someone who cares. She believes that's why she has such a successful time with machines. Machines are easy. There is always a set solution and no attachment, but with people there are hundreds of thousands of solutions. All solutions Jac had a hard time comprehending.

“It’ll be treating me better after another one of these.” She points to her drink. Gine sighs.

“Why don’t you go out for once? Make some new friends.” Gine asks.

“I am out. Are you sick of me?” Jac argues.

“That’s not what I meant. You and I both know that pretty face isn’t going to last forever.” She laughs. Jac raises her eyebrow, and turns her attention towards the window. Her reflection stares back at her.

“Yeah, I think that pretty face left a long time ago.” She jokes. Gine scoffs.
“All you need to do is clean that damn oil and grease off your face.”

“And the scars on my cheeks and forehead.” She adds.

“Puh-leeze. Those are sexier than you think.” Jac rolls her eyes, and they both laugh. Jac takes another sip of her drink. “But seriously Jac. Go out. Meet a boy. Make yourself useful, and help grow our population.” Gine jokes. Jac coughs, choking on her drink.

“Uh Gine, I’ve got way too much work to think about anything else. Especially meeting someone. And besides, help our population? You’re not even human. You’re Twi’ lek.”

“I know, but I still don’t want to see you die alone.”

“There are worst things that could happen.” Jac chugs down the rest of her drink. “I think I’m gonna call it a night. I’ll see you later.” They both stand up, and Gine hugs her. Jac tenses up, but she reluctantly hugs her back.

“Get home safe.”

“Always do.” Jac pats the hand held pistol attached to her hip. Gine smiles slightly. “Oh I almost forgot your dinner!” She runs to the back.

“Gine you didn’t have-”

“I swear if you dont eat I’ll break the fryers and make you fix them...again.” Jac stares at her. “Please Jacqueline.” Jac rolls her eyes and takes the paper bag.

“Fine.” She heads towards the door. “I’ll see you later Gine.”

“I know…”
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

223 Reviews

Reviews: 223
Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:30 am
View Likes
Kelpies says...

Anita Scarlet Stone

I retreated into my ship like a Sarlacc into it’s pit. Those men had spooked me, and I wanted to get out of here before I freaked out, again. Why were they so curious about Ebony? I wondered, walking the halls to the control room. Ebony matched my pace, she glanced up at me, her amber eyes always seemed to be appraising me. Her actions, not her eyes, were what told me how she was feeling. She wasn’t letting me get even one step ahead of her, so she was being extremely cautious. She didn’t think we were out of the woods yet.

My next contact was currently on Myrkr. I was especially cautious of that planet, I found it to be full of creatures with unique abilities, those with force-related abilities made me shiver. I had once been hunted by a pack of Vornskr for three weeks on an especially risky capture. People could be fooled, they believed their eyes, never questioning things further. Animals are different, they rely on more than sight. And the real reason that the Vornskrs sent shivers down my spine was their ability to sense the force in others.

It seemed like no time at all before I had arrived. I exhaled a slow breath as I exited my ship, taking a moment to take in the world before I met my contact at the Hyllyard Hotel. So many trees, so much life here. The air was so much cleaner than in any city-infested planet. Yes oxygen filters worked 24/7, but there was still nothing like the smell of a forest to me. The Hotel wasn’t far off, but I took my merry old time walking there. Halfway there I felt like I was being watched, making the little hairs on the back of my neck prickle. I glanced around calmly, it was probably nothing. After I had scanned the area to my satisfaction I dismissed it as such and strolled the rest of the way there.

I never left my ship unarmed, my lightsaber was strapped to my belt, hidden under my coat. I didn’t feel like this particular excursion would require anything more extreme. I found it slightly suspect that I was meeting someone in a private room, but I had Ebony with me, so what could happen?

I strolled through the door, stating my business here with the front desk. I brushed my finger along the wall, room 32… 36… 40… 48. I knocked on the door, making a rhythm of my knuckles against the wood. The door opened slightly, a voice beckoned me inside. The voice spooked me slightly, my hand went to my belt, where my lightsaber was strapped. I entered the room, which was dark for the time of day.

“Have a seat.” The voice said, it seemed to be attached to a masculine figure, gesturing towards a small table with two chairs. I obliged, my eyes scanning the exits.

“You must be Anita, capturer of dangerous predators, transporter of dangerous goods?”

“Unless there’s some other such person with the same name, yes you’ve hired the right person. But I like to know my job before I accept.”

“You won’t have to go far to find the creature I need. In fact, there is probably a pack of them tracking me right now. I require a Vornskr to find a specific person, and it would come in handy later as well.”

The gears in my mind worked overtime, if I went after this creature I would surely pay the price. They would sense the force-sensitivity in me, and because of that, I would suddenly be on the menu. Ebony growled, she was antsy, she wanted out of here ASAP.

“Seeing as I am in a position to decline, I would like to take advantage of this status and now I must decline.” I said, hoping I didn’t sound too formal.

“I understand. Especially why we need you on our side.” After he said this, he put on some sort of mask, and the air started to smell funny.

Ebony

I hate to demean the Anita human, but her senses are as dull as those of pond scum. As soon as that male began talking, I began to smell the fumes. He’s gassing us! I realized, and I tried to tell Anita, but she was too involved in of all things, thinking. Seriously, act now and you’ll have time to think later. But Anita completely ignored me, my instincts had already gotten her into a scuffle once today, and I don’t think she was going to do a stunt like that again for at least a week.

By the time she started smelling the fumes, it was already too late. She drew her light-knife, but fumbled it as sleep fell over her. The sleep began clouding my senses, blocking my vision. I roared, all of my anger directed at the male. I sprang into the air, and within the second the male drew a light-knife of his own. He slashed at my side and I cried out in pain. Anita fought for consciousness, screaming as she heard me.

The sleep was taking over, I couldn’t hold on much longer. I crawled back onto my paws, blood spilling everywhere from the wound in my side. The male walked closer to me, the sleep was too far into my body for me to fight back as he bashed me on the side of the head with the handle of his light-sword.

I failed you. Was my last thought before the sleep won the battle for my mind.
We are who we are, and if someone has a problem with that; that's their problem not ours.
I do believe that insane is the only way to go.

Reviews: 0
Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:58 am
View Likes
TheForgottenKing says...

Ryan Koban

I glanced at the woman in front of me, her tattooed face studying me intensely, eyes unblinking, her lips a hard line. I cocked my head." So my father was a Sith. So what?" She smiled softly to herself, as if she had a secret." My dear dear nephew, your father was a great Sith. Not famous by any means. But he was a good Sith. And you should be proud to carry his saber." She turned away, facing the endless desert sky of Tattoine.

"I'm going to take you on as an apprentice Ryan. Teach you the ways of a real Sith, not the weaker ways of the Legion." I chuckled softly." The weaker ways of the system have caused a war to erupt between them and the New Grand Republic, who's armies are led by Jedi knights and masters. Trust me Aunt, they're not weak." When she turned to face me I got a shiver in my spine. Her eyes flashed." You will understand. I'm surprised you don't hate them, after what they did to your family."

That single instant my blood ran cold. I leapt up from my chair." What do you mean, they did to my family?" I demanded, my fists clenched. Her face was heartbroken." I went to your mother's moisture farm... They had been tortured. Bodies everywhere. Must have been the workers. There was a legion mark on one of the bodies. It had most likely been carved on with a lightsaber. I thought you knew!" Her arms enveloped me as I could feel the beginnings of the madness, which would soon become my life.

Nine Years Later

"Tread carefully my apprentice. Darth Exus is well known for having very tight security at his compound." I listened to my aunts warning voice over my ear comm. A smile lit across my face. My aunt wasn't being sentimental. I just knew she didn't want to have to train another apprentice. She didn't want to go to the trouble. I hit a button on my neck guard, and a helmet erupted over the top half of my head, leaving my mouth and jaw open. Instantly the screen across my eyes lit up, showing me all the information I needed. Heat signatures erupted to my left as a small patrol of legion troopers marched across the gardens of the Legion compound. I hid against the wall, watching them pass.

"Everything in position Saka?" I whispered quietly, my mic catching everything.

"All ready to go boss. The Bha'lir is ready to go. Just waiting for the signal." I smiled as her voice came across the mic.

" I bet that creature catcher didn't think we'd be using her creature for an assassination." Kaden chuckled to himself. I let a snicker escape before I calmed down." All right, let's get this show on the road." I said, force leaping up into the second level of the compound, quickly cutting down to legion guards with a single swipe.

"Release the creature."

The Heathen appeared out of cloaking mode, much to the surprise of many legion guards. The ramp opened, as Kaden jumped out of the way as a fully grown and very angry feline came tumbling out." Get out of here." I commanded them." No need to tell us twice!" Came the response as the Heathen left the airspace, beating a hasty retreat. The Bha'lir was making quick work of the Legion soldiers who were now running from its bloodthirsty rampage. Shivering I began my climb, using grappling hooks to make it to the sixth level of the compound.

I crashed into the dining room of Darth Exus, the Legion garrison commander, and a murderer of my family. He leapt up in surpise as I force threw his guards into the walls, knocking them down. His hands went for his saber, and he closed into a fighting stance. His eyes widened as I pulled out my saber." Impossible." He breathed, as I turned on my saber.

"Nine years ago, you traveled to Tattoine, to hunt down someone who wanted nothing to do with you. Instead you killed his family, for he was already dead. Those were my parents. Now it's time I exact revenge old man." I said, breaking into a run as I charged him, swinging downwards. He blocked it with his own saber, responding with his own attacks." I have no idea what your talking about boy. I've killed many families." He hissed, driving a thrust at my hip. I whirled away, my saber responding with a quick slash, leaving a cut on his arm.

"And stop playing at adult. I can't believe anyone would have the nerve to recreate his blade." He growled, shoving his blade against mine, trying to force me into submission. With a grunt I pushed him away." I didn't recreate anyone blade your murderer. This belonged to my father." I challenged. He let out a loud laugh." By the Sith, I can't actually believe it. If he was your father you are indeed a lucky fellow. He whirled around, resuming his attack." But I've killed hundred of families. And all their little boys claim they'll have revenge. And you know they best part? They never do." He said, an evil smile on his face.

With a scream I threw him against the wall. I too heard the snap as his blade fell from his numb hands, as his eyes went wide with shock. He tried to get up, but we both knew it was hopeless. I shoved my blade Hilt deep into his chest, as he gasped for life." Your father would be proud of you." He gasped, blood soaking his lips as he passed. I pulled out my saber and turned it off, the white hilt stained with blood.

I picked up Darth Exus's blade, placing it in a pocket in my black robes. Shaking my head it turned as I heard the stamping of feet. They must've gotten rid of the Bha'lir. I broke out into a run, leaping out of the window as the Legion soldiers broke into the room, shocked at seeing their commander dead. I leapt onto the open cargo door of the Heathen, who had returned.

"It's done." I said, as the door closed behind me. Kaden nodded as Saka took us out of the atmosphere of Jakku.
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:22 am
View Likes
LordZeus says...

Erikenai Stone

Erik rubbed his hands together as he waited for his older sister, Alliana to enter the workshop. Cory and his other older brother, Terekai, were already there. Erik was dying to tell them his plan, but he knew he had to wait for his sister.

The night before, Grin Fidsmor had hired him and his siblings to catch the crientes for 5k. And Erik intended to fulfill that agreement. So he had briefed the Stone siblings and slaved all morning to make a plan.

Erik was actually feeling rather happy. It was usually Alliana who got them jobs like this, but now it was him! Then he heard a creak, and turned to see Alliana finally entering the room. She sat down next to Cory and Terekai and looked at him expectantly.

"Well, bow that you're all here," he started, glaring at his sister, "I can begin to tell you my plan."

The others nodded at him to tell them and so he said, "To start with, I have been calling contacts to find out about this creature. From one such contact I have learned that Anita was last seen with the crientes in a hotel in Myrkr before she disappeared."

"So we have to go to Myrkr?" asked Alliana, frowning.

"Thankfully, no." replied Erik.

"That's good," said Terekai, "considering we don't have a ship to get there."

"We have the Firestone, Terekai. That would easily be able to transport us there."

"Oh yeah, about that," said Alliana, "I want to be the first to fly it. I was the first Stone to learn to fly after all."

Erik looked around the room angrily. "Fist of all, we're getting off topic, and second of all, I will be the first to fly it as I and Cory built it and Cory isn't a pilot!"

"Okay, okay!" muttered Aliana, not looking very happy. "Chillax, li'l bro."

In order to maintain peace so that he could finish discussing the plan, Erik decided to ignore the fact that she called him 'li'l bro'.

"In any case," he began, "my contact told me that the manager of the hotel where Anita disappeared found the crientes and realizing that it may be valuable, put it up for sale on the black market. A Coruscanti gang know as the Ardskulls bought it for 3k and transported it back to Coruscant. This was much less than its actual value, but the manager didn't know that."

"So it's in Coruscant." said Terekai, looking relieved.

"Yes." replied Erik. "Furthermore, I have contacted the Ardskulls and informed them that I wish to buy the animal. They will be waiting for me at market sector 13."

"How much will it cost?' asked Cory, furrowing his brow.

"10,000" replied Erik.

At that, Terekai gasped. "We don't have that much money!" he exclaimed.

Then Erik picked up a backpack and placed it on the ground in front of him. He then proceeded to open it up, revealing piles of cash.

He then smiled at his siblings' surprised faces and said, "There's this lovely couterfeit place a few dozen levels down. Give them 2k and they give you 10k."

Cory smiled at that and said, "Good thinking, bro! If this goes through, it should be a clean, non-dangerous job for once!"

"Thanks." replied Erik. "So, at 4 pm, I will approach the Ardskulls who will have a fake stall in the marketplace. Cory and Terekai, you guys blend in with the crowd, and carry weapons in case I need backup. Alliana, you stay here with your X-wing at the ready in case we need aerial support. Everyone clear?" They all nodded.

Then Erik looked at his siblings at said, "Then let's do this."

At 4 pm, Erik entered the market sector. He breathed in the heavily polluted air, and felt lucky that he didn't live there. His nose recoiled at the heavy scent of ammonia that hung on the narrow streets that he was walking through. As he walked, he saw a woman bend out of her window and dump a bucket of excreta into the gutters on the sides of the street.

Erik then walked faster, hoping to get done with the job. eventually, he came out into a town square, in which was the main marketplace. Erik sighed with relief as he walked through, the scent of excreta being replaced by the pungent and flavorful aromas of spices and herbs.

He continued walking until he reached the center of the square. At his right, above the market stall was the symbol of a grinning skull, the Ardskull emblem. In the stall, there was an Abgal (fish human) who grinned at him with his large blue fish head.

He approached him and as he did so, he noticed that there were a two men behind the Abgal with blasters at their sides. He swallowed. Don't worry. He told himself. If everything goes to plan, there won't be any trouble.

He walked up to the stall and said, "I'm here for the crientes."

The Abgal nodded and asked, "Do you have the money?"

Erik lifted up his backpack, which the Abgal reached for greedily. Erik pulled it away and said coldly, "Let me see the animal first."

The Abgal frowned but lifted up a heavy sack and opened it, revealing the black feline creature, which had a bandage on its side and several tranquilizer darts in its back. They must have tranquilized it every time it awoke. thought Erik as he handed over the cash.

The Abgal opened the backpack and examined a wad of notes before scornfully throwing them to the ground. "These are fake!" he said angrily. 'Kill him!" And the two men opened fire.

Erik hit the ground, and the shots missed him. Then Terekai and Cory appeared behind him and started to fire their own blasters in response, and one of the men collapsed to the ground with a cry of pain.

As Erik watched, the Abgal tore down the cloth that formed the back of the stall to reveal a small craft, used often to transport loads around Coruscant, but not suitable outside the atmosphere.

He loaded the sack with the crientes in it, and got in before taking off. Unfortunately the other armed man had been firing at them while he did this so they couldn't stop him.

Just after he took off, the other Ardskull goon was shot down. Erik cursed and activated his rocket boots before flying after the craft. As he did so he used his earpiece to contact Alliana.

"We need help. They're flying away with the crientes, so bring your X-wing quickly! Track me as I'll be in pursuit." And with that he blasted forward, preparing for the chase.

Over the next few minutes, Erik harried the Ardskull craft, flying near It and firing his blasters at it, which the ship was more than strong enough to withstand. Erik knew this but did it just to annoy the Abgal as he knew that the unweaponized ship was incapable of firing back.

Just as he was starting to feel like giving, a flash of blue and white caught his eye. He turned his eye to see a beautiful fighter craft. He looked with admiration and pride as it flew gracefully through the air, dodging buildings and doing tricks in the sky wth ease.

His admiration soon turned to anger as the craft was the Firestone! He used his earpiece to get in touch with his sister before exclaiming angrily, "I told yo to get your X-wing! The Firestone was supposed to remain a secret!"

"Chillax, li'l bro!" came his sister's laughing reply. "Spacecraft from all around the galaxy xome to Coruscant every day, so people will just think that it's a fighter from a far off planet! No one will guess what it really is. Besideds, I couldn't help myself, this craft handles like a dream!"

Erik was reluctantly forced to agree with her but was still angry with her for taking the craft without his permission. However, Erik pushed his anger to the back of his head and used his earpiece to connect with the Ardskull ship.

"Hello." he said politely once he had gained contact with the ship. "Land this craft or we'll blow you out of the sky." To enforce his threat, he had Alliana fire a salvo of shots just above the Ardskull craft.

The Abgal answered, agreeing to his demands, and Erik proceeded to direct him towards a nearby landing site, and Erik had Terekai and Cory wait at the site.

When the craft landed, Terekai and Cory hefted their blasters and forced the Abgal out of the craft. Erik took the sack with the crientes inside from it.

"Good work, guys!" He said. "I'll see you back home!" And with that he activated his rocket boots and flew off towards the space port.
Last edited by LordZeus on Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:52 pm
View Likes
Vellichor says...

Derryn Ordo

Derryn ducked instinctively as the sound of blaster fire filled the marketplace, and he turned to watch as two people separated themselves from the dispersing crowd and continuing their attack on a small stall near the center of the square. I think it's about time to conclude our business here...

Derryn and his crew had landed the night before in a seedy starport on one of the lower levels to gauge the interest that select people would have in the green-armored man, and luckily, most people had only thus far paid him the mind that came with the armor itself. Outside of this, no one seemed to recognize Derryn.

The Mandalorian pushed himself up from his prone position and began to weave this way and that, making a beeline for the edge of the market and dodging stray blaster bolts, but then a beautiful noise filled the air and he looked up to watch as an utterly flawless ship streaked through the sky after a fleeing market shuttle. Who's ship is that? He shook his head and ran the remaining distance to the market's edge before jumping down an old and decrepit gravlift chute, freefalling before activating his jetpack in bursts to slow his rapid descent.

Pressing his hand to his helmet, he opened a commlink to his own ship. "Exdee, get the ship ready for launch, and tell the others to gear up. We're going to the Outlander Club. We'll see if there's anyone in need of our services there." With that, he closed the commlink and took aim with his wrist caster. In moments, he was perched atop a long-meaningless billboard and staring down at the old and filthy spaceport they had landed in.

Striding up the ramp even as it was still descending, he pulled his helmet from his head and took his seat next to the battledroid. "Shall we?"
╔══╗░░░░╔╦╗░░╔═════╗
║╚═╬════╬╣╠═╗║░▀░▀░║
╠═╗║╔╗╔╗║║║╩╣║╚═══╝║
╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩╩╩═╝╚═════╝

49 Reviews

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:46 pm
View Likes
wakarimasen says...

Ro Fidsmor

"We have to hide it. If we don't dangerous things could happen. So keep it hidden, okay?"

Ro heard the words echo over and over in her head. She shut her eyes tight, willing Erik's warning to fade away.

She hadn't popped a single pill for 18 hours. During the night, she'd had some of the strangest dreams, though she couldn't remember what they were about. All she knew was that in the morning, she'd woken up with her face inches from the ceiling. She'd been floating - floating in the air!! - for who knew how long?

Now, she sat cross-legged on the bed, idly fingering the amethyst pendant. Something about it soothed her. It still hung from its chain, and she had it around her neck. She wasn't sure what she wanted to do with it yet.

"Dangerous things could happen."

Her eyes darted to the small canister on her desk, where the pill bottle rested. Whatever they really were, they'd kept this ... ability ... of hers hidden. Ro had figured out that much. Did that mean ... Grin already knew? After all, he was the one who kept insisting she take them!

Part of her wanted to slip back into hiding, to take the pill and make things normal again, before something bad happened. But she also wanted to explore. What else could she do when she was off these pills?

Someone knocked on her door, which she'd locked, just in case. "Ro, are you awake?" came her father's voice through the comm.

"Yeah," Ro called back. "I'm, uh, getting dressed. I'll be out soon."

That seemed to satisfy him, and she heard his footsteps along the corridor as he walked away.

A few minutes later, Ro made her way to the cargo bay, where she heard Grin and Uncle Jasek talking nervously. They were standing around a large, shapeless ... thing. On closer inspection, she saw it was a large, feathered felinoid, partially covered by a canvas tarpaulin. The creature seemed dazed, possibly tranquilized - it appeared to have a large wound on its side, leaving patches of torn skin, surrounded by singed feathers.

The strangest part was, Ro could feel its thoughts: pain ... disorientation ... intense fear.

She cleared her throat. "Is that ... the crientes?"

The pair jumped, startled.

"Ro, I didn't know you were there," Grin said in a hushed voice. "Yes, that's the crientes. Erik brought her in late last night, while you were asleep."

"He didn't hurt her, did he?"

Grin shook his head, and explained briefly how Erik had come to find the creature. "Eduno will need to find a veterinarian for the crientes. Until then, the best we can do is keep medicating it, make sure it's comfortable, and that it doesn't hurt itself."

Ro nodded. "If you'd like, I can stay with her."

"No." Grin spoke firmly. "Jasek will watch her for now - he can handle himself if there's a problem."

So could I! Ro wanted to protest.

Grin led Ro out of the cargo hold. "We're leaving for Csilla in less than three hours. After you've had your breakfast and taken your pills, why don't you go say goodbye to your friend?"

Ro found Erik and Cory hard at work on a new arrival, but as soon as Erik saw her, he dropped what he was doing and ran over.

"Hey, what's up?"

"We're leaving soon, and I came to say goodbye." Ro looked down at her feet and lowered her voice to a whisper. "Erik, you said we have the same ability. I'd never done something like that before yesterday.... What's happening to me?"

223 Reviews

Reviews: 223
Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:35 am
View Likes
Kelpies says...

Ebony

After Anita disappeared, the days were a blur of waking up, receiving a dart in the side, and falling asleep again. I wanted to maul someone, I was afraid for my life, for Anita's. But I could never awaken long enough to do anything about it. I wanted to escape, to track my companion down. But I knew, space didn't hold a scent like everywhere else, and I would die if I tried. Frustration circled through my half awake thoughts. My dreams were vivid nightmares, drug-induced hallucinations that didn't make sense with the sense of fear overwhelming everything.

When I finally awakened again, I saw a man nearby. He smelled familiar, the same man that Anita had shot with a blaster. I pretended to sleep for a little bit longer, sniffing out where I was. I was in a ship- that much was certain. There was another man here who'd been here an hour or so ago, along with a female, by the smell they were related.

I had been injured- I was in no condition to fight my way out of here and I knew it. Anita's scent was gone now, the only thing that smelled even remotely of her was my own feathers. I growled, my lips curled back to show my fangs. I tried to get to my feet, I wanted out of here, I didn't want to sit here like a dishonored kit. The man came closer to me, I snarled. When would people learn to stay away? Anita was the only one who could come close to me, I knew her, she was my friend.

I began pacing around the room. I may have tried to kill the man, but what would come of that? I had no leads, the only thing to do now was to wait, let the Anita human figure it out on her own. She's smart, albeit she couldn't smell the difference between a jyykle vulture and a kaadu. She would escape on her own, I had to keep telling myself that to keep doubt from setting in. I had to keep the tracker with me, Anita was the only human I knew of that could find me with it, so I wasn't endangering myself by having it.

My best bet right now was to stay here, at least it seemed like I was safe. Anita would contact me when she was on her way, I had to make sure that none of the crew here heard that.

It was a while before the female returned, she was younger than I had expected. I settled my gaze on her. I crept towards her, trying to make it obvious that I wasn't stalking prey. I kept my head erect, and made no attempt to muffle the sounds of my claws against the floor.

I took a closer sniff of her, she had been talking to a male human/koruni. One of the people who fix ships, I realized. I had smelled him before Anita fired the warning shot. None of this information was going to help me find my human. I made a gesture that humans would compare to a scowl and stalked away.

I sat in a corner with my head facing the wall. What if Anita couldn't escape? She was overpowered by one highly-trained individual, and something told me that he was simply a pawn put in place by someone more powerful. What were the chances of one person against any number of people like that? Trained, and armed to the teeth?

My shoulders drooped, there was no chance. Optimism was pointless, Anita was probably either dead or worse. I wasn't going to get out of here.

I didn't care when the female came back with a dish of meat. I paid no attention as she set it on the floor behind me. The food smelled wonderful, but what was the point in indulging myself?

I tensed as the female brushed her fingers against my feathers. The touch was reassuring, comforting even. I glanced back at her, her eyes like those of many humans expressed her emotion. She was sympathetic. I didn't move. Her hand reached towards my head, brushing my tufts, I snapped at her hand, intentionally missing. I wanted to warn her, not maim her.

I resumed staring at the wall, lowering myself until I was laying down. I closed my eyes, waiting for the relief of sleep.
We are who we are, and if someone has a problem with that; that's their problem not ours.
I do believe that insane is the only way to go.

39 Reviews

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:24 pm
View Likes
LordZeus says...

Erikenai Stone

Ro looked down at her feet and lowered her voice to a whisper. "Erik, you said we have the same ability. I'd never done something like that before yesterday.... What's happening to me?"

Erik looked over the obviously frightened girl, and said as comfortingly as he could, " Come with me, and I'll tell you all I know." She gave him a small nod. After telling Cory that he was taking his break, he led Ro to his workshop and sat her down.

Then he served her a mug of hot chocolate, sat down on a bench across from her, took a deep breath and spoke, "I have had this...ability since I was very young. At the time, it was hard to control. It just came and went, without my having any say in the matter. I used it on purpose for the first time when I saved the captain of a bounty hunting ship I crewed on when I was ten, and a pirate had shot at him. I used my ability to make it miss, then shot the pirate myself." At that, Ro's eyes widened.

Erik smiled at that and continued, "From then on, I was curious about my ability. I practiced in secret, learning how to control it, and use it to do what I wanted. But it took time, and practice."

Ro looked at him curiously. "So you can control it?"

"Yes." replied Erik.

Ro tentatively asked, "Could you...show me?"

Erik nodded and raised his hand, focusing on a screwdriver on a desk next to him. The energy he controlled made it lift in the air, and do a couple of tricks before settling back down.

Ro looked awed at that and asked, "So...how do I learn to do that?"

Erik sat back and replied, "Practice. Start with small stuff. Like, try to make that
screwdriver levitate for example."

"Okay..." replied Ro, looking a little uncertain. She mimicked the hand movements that Erik had made, and closed her eyes, focusing her willpower on it. She remained like that for several minutes, and Erik was about to give up hope when the screwdriver shot up into the air, hitting the ceiling before falling to the floor."

Ro opened her eyes and looked tired. "Just that little thing took all my strength out of me." she said with a pant. "And I didn't even do it right."

Erik grinned at her. " That was good! I didn't expect you to get it right the first time. You're only just starting to use it after all. But now you're beginning to be able to control when and where you use it, which is an important first step. It'll cost less energy the more often you use it."

Ro smiled slightly at that. "Thanks. What is this ability anyway?"

Erik's smile disappeared at that. "I'm not sure really. However, I once met an old Jedi. Short, green alien. Weird fella. He told me that I had the strongest capacity to use the Force that he had ever known, and asked me to become his apprentice. I laughed it off then, but now I'm not so sure..."

Ro paled visibly at that, and she muttered, "The Force? You mean the power used by the Sith and Jedi?"

Erik nodded. She turned her head and stared at the wall, and exclaimed, "I've heard tales of people causing death, and destruction with the Force...it's so powerful, and I don't even know how to contain it!"

"I'm not even sure it is the force!" protested Erik. "And besides, it won't be a problem if you learn to control it."

Ro's voice rose. "It's all very well to say that I'll eventually learn to control it, but think what could happen during my learning period!"

Erik attempted to calm her down, but she refused to listen, shouting now. "I floated in the air this morning for Kriff's sake! What if I use this...this destructive power without trying to, huh? I could hurt people, and endanger everyone!" Then she slumped against the back of the bench. "I just don't know what to do..." she muttered listlessly.

Erik looked at the obviously scared and confused girl, and felt that tug from the long-dormant elder brother instinct. He sat down next to her on the bench she was sitting on and took both of her trembling hands between his.

"You're a strong girl." he said softly. "If you practice hard, you'll be okay." Then, on an impulse, he hugged her. She seemed a little surprised, but then hugged him back.

"You can control it." He whispered. "I believe in you."

"Thanks." She replied with a small smile. Then he released her, and she seemed a little more confident.

He picked up the spanner he had levitated, and flipped around, before giving it to Ro. "Here." he said. "Use this to practice. It's my best spanner. Some people say spanners are all the same, but I don't believe it. You have to look hard for a good quality spanner. In any case, start to practice your ability on this. Try levitating it first, just an inch above the table. Then try twisting it in midair with your mind, like putting in a screw. Then try actually putting in a screw. In that way, keep preparing little tests of your power, and keep training."

"Thanks." she replied with a smile, and pocketed the spanner.

Then Erik led her out of the workshop and into the space station. As they were walking towards the craft, Ro stopped.

"What is it?" asked Erik softly.

Ro turned to him and hugged him, muttering, "Thanks."

"For what?" replied Erik, hugging her again.

"Everything." said Ro. Then she released him and said, "Bye." with a sad smile.

"Bye, Ro." replied Erik, ruffling her hair. Then she ran the rest of the way to her craft.

Erik smiled sadly, and turned to leave. However, just as he was about to get back to work, he heard Grin's voice calling, 'Erik, Wait! I want to talk to you!"
Last edited by LordZeus on Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

49 Reviews

Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:50 am
View Likes
wakarimasen says...

Grin Fidsmor

"You've got talent, kid, for someone so young," Grin was saying as they walked along the balustrade overlooking the docking bay. "What I'm trying to say is, we could use someone like you on the Jade Star."

"You want me to be a part of your crew?" Erik's facial expression betrayed his conflicting emotions. Grin could tell the kid really wanted to say yes, but there was something else. Erik's eyes strayed to his team, hard at work, as usual. "Those people are the only family I have. I left them once already - I'm not sure they'll understand if I do it again."

Grin stroked his bristly chin and nodded. "I'm sorry to bring this up to you on such short notice. If you'd like, I could talk things over with your father. Being on my crew would be more like an apprenticeship, if that helps. You seem like the kind of guy who'd captain a starship of his own someday."

Erik shifted from one foot to the other. "I'll, uh, ask my dad. You can come with me, if you want."

"Sure."

It wasn't every day that Grin Fidsmor took such measures to get someone into his crew - to let a near stranger this far into his life. Everything - logic, experience, trauma - was telling him not to do that ever ... again.

But there was also curiosity. Grin had to admit, he had the strangest desire to find out more about this young man, Erik Stone. There was something very familiar about him, but he needed to be sure....

39 Reviews

Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:25 pm
View Likes
LordZeus says...

Erikenai Stone

Erik told Grin to wait outside as he went into his father's private workshop. Korulai Stone was working on repairing a heavily damaged hyperdrive core.

"Oh hey, son." said Korulai, noticing that his son had walked in. "What's up?"

Erik swallowed, wondering how to bring up the topic. He looked at the man who had raised him since he was a little kid and given him love and a home, and found himself at a loss for words. He felt himself hesitating to leave, but then he realized that it was what he had to do.

He took a deep breath and spoke up, "Dad, Grin's offered me a place aboard his ship."

His father froze and put down his equipment. "You want to accept, don't you?" he said, tears in his eyes.

Erik nodded. "Yes, father. I do."

Korulai fixed his gaze on his son. "I suppose it was inevitable. I've seen you at night, you know. You look up at the stars, and I can see the yearning in your eyes."

"I do love you guys, you're my family. But I do miss life in space, a life of adventure...it's space where I know I can find myself."

Korulai smiled sadly. "Your siblings, they don't want anything but Coruscant. But ever since you were a toddler, I've known that that wouldn't be enough for you. And I understand."

Erik started to cry now. "It's just...I still don't know who I am. And I know that the answer is waiting for me, out there."

Tears streamed down Korulai's stoic face as he said, "I know, son. I just find it hard losing you...visit, ok?"

Erik smiled. "I'll probably settle down in Coruscant eventually. But I first I need to figure out where I came from...that question nags at me all the time. Then I have to discover who I am." He shook his head. "I know I sound confused now. But I know that I have to find out. I know that the answers are there, waiting for me...and it drives me crazy! I have to know, and I know that they're to be found in space."

Korulai nodded, and wrapped him in a bear hug, crying. Then he held him at shoulder's length. "I understand, that's something everyone deserves to know. Go, my dear son. But say goodbye to your ma and siblings first, ok?"

"Sure thing, pop." replied Erik with a sad smile. "Love you."

"Love you too, son." replied Korulai. "Is Grin out there?"

"Yup." replied Erik.

"Can I see him?"

Erik nodded and called Grin in.

Korulai turned to him and said, "Take care of my boy, please. I wouldn't be able to bear it if anything happened to him."

Grin nodded. "I understand, I'm a father too. I'll take care of him like he was my son, I promise."

"thank you." replied Korulai, shaking his hand. Then they said their farewells and Erik left his father to continue his repairs. But before he left he savoured the smell of smoke and burning coal, and the warmth that were characteristic of his father's workshop. He had spent many happy days there as a kid, learning from his father. And now he was leaving.

He sighed, leaving the doorway and steeled himself before go in to bid farewell to his ma and siblings, telling Grin that he would meet him later at the ship. My siblings are gonna be so sad...and so pissed. he thought with a grimace as he went to meet them.

Reviews: 0
Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:08 pm
View Likes
TheForgottenKing says...

Jin Iguru

"Approaching last known target position General."

I sat back in the seat of my personal ACC as I watched my troopers get into position. The Coruscant City Guard had asked the Jedi to take care of this. They usually deferred to Republic troops when it came to Gangs and such other crime. As my soldiers where the only ones in the area, I had requisitioned a company for this job. The Ardskulls where a rather infamous gang. And it was my job to bring them in for justice. And who ever they had gotten into a street battle with.

"Sir we have a problem."

I looked on the screens and sighed." Things are never easy are they?" I watched as Guards with the Stone Emblem on their uniforms made a steady wall of bodies between my troopers and stared coldly at them. I knew they wouldn't open fire until fired upon. I knew their boss, and he would like to prevent civilian casualties as much as I would.

"Captain, take me down there so we can prevent an all out war." I said. My captain nodded as he pushed the ACC into flight." Commander, prep a spot for me to land, I'm coming down." I said into the comm."Sir, is that such a good idea?" Rubbing my head I sighed." Commander, I know what I'm doing. Don't second guess me. Now prep a space for landing."

As the ACC began to land, I straitened my robes underneath my body armor and placed on my hood. I did love my dramatic entrances. As the door hissed open, I took a step into the Coruscant day. I immediately caught the eye of basically everyone there. Ignoring the looks I immediately stepped up to the commander of Stone's guard, a man I knew from the Delsian civil war, whom I had worked with before he took a more permanent position with Stone. He bowed his head respectfully." Master Iguru, it is an honor to see you so soon. Perhaps we could take our business inside? We seem to have a problem at the moment."

I laughed lightly." Baras, these are my soldiers. I always told you, look for the shoulder patches. They carry my sigil. I'm here on the asking of the Coruscant City Guard. It seems that a ship that flew in here recently was involved in a gang shootout with the Ardskulls." I watched as realization hit Baras, and he smacked his head." I think I have an idea what your talking about. If you'd like, I'll take you to the boss, he'll interested to know what's going on."

I turned to the commander of my Commandos. "Commander Helios, this is Captian Baras. Now shake hands you two, and take your troopers back to the Shizeru. It's still in orbit I believe." With a salute and nod, Helios turned his men around." Captain Carlisle, please wait with the ship while I deal with this business."

"Wilco General."

I turned to Baras." Now, let's have a talk with your boss shall we?" With a nod he dispersed the Stone Guards, and began to lead me back to the offices of Stone Enterprises.

"Korulai Stone, what an honor it is to see you so soon." I said with a bow." Master Iguru, the honor is mine." He replied with a bow. He took a seat in his chair as I sat down." Now, what can I do for you?" He said."it's not every day I have the honor of your troops trying to enter my spaceport." I smiled to myself." Actually, I was acting now under the authority of the City Guard." His eyebrows raised." And why wouldn't the City Guard approach me about my own Spaceport?"

I smiled." Business my friend. I hope this will clear the air." I handed him a tablet." This was caught earlier the other day. They were last seen retreating here. So far we haven't been able to identify who they are, but the City becomes interested when a fighter attempts to shoot down another. And if they were doing business the Ardskulls, they immediately call in Republican troops. Mine were the only troopers in the area who were capable of such an operation so they asked me. They know your troops don't carry military grade weapons, because that would be a crime." I said with a wink. He winked back at me." Of course I don't have such weapons for my guardsmen." He hit a comm on his wrist." Baras, could you perhaps ask my children to come here?"

He turned to me." I'm sorry for the unpleasantness this has caused. Those are my children Master." I cocked my head." You mean Cory and Erik?" I asked incredulously. He nodded in response. I shook my head." In that case, as long as they answer my questions, I won't have to arrest them. What would they be doing chasing after Ardskulls?" He shook his head in disbelief." I've raised them better Master, believe me. Perhaps they can answer your questions, and I thank you, for not arresting them." I nodded in response as the door hissed open.
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

39 Reviews

Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:27 pm
View Likes
LordZeus says...

Erikenai Stone

Erik shifted in his seat as he sat in his father's office. He had just finished explaining to both Jin and Korulai why he had chased the Ardskulls, and Jin seemed to be considering it.

"Alright." he said after several minutes tedious thought. "The capture of the cat can be considered as recovery of stolen property, which is legal. And the dead Ardskulls, since they fired on you, can be put down to casualties incurred through self-defence. Which frees you from a jail sentence."

Korulai nodded happily. "Thank you, Master Jin. I have some business to attend to now, so I should be leaving." And he left the office.

But before Erik could leave himself, Jin asked, "What was that ship you used to force down the Ardskull shuttle? It was...marvelous. I've never seen anything like it."

Sensing a business deal, Erik told him all about it, as well as its benefits as compared to the fighters currently in use.

"Amazing." muttered Jin. "An excellent creation I must say. If we had these, the Sith would fall like wheat..."

"You can have some." said Erik with a grin. "But they'll cost you quite a bit."

"A price we'd be more than willing to pay." dismissed Jin with a wave of his hand. "Tell me, would you agree to supplying the Grand Republic Fleet and Jedi forces with your Delta fighters?"

Erik's jaw dropped. "The...the whole fleet?" he stuttered.

"Yes." replied Jin. "Name your price."

Erik took a sip of water from a canteen he always carried with him and swallowed. "Master Jin, it would be an honor! But unfortunately we don't have the industry, equipment or supplies to build that many. We could supply the Shizeru though, if you want."

Jin thought for a second before replying, "Well, how about this then. You build enough Delta fighters for the Shizeru and if I am satisfied with them, which I no doubt will be, we'll lend you as much money from the Jedi coffers as you need to set up factories and equipment to enable continuous production."

Erik smiled. "Agreed, thanks! Although you'll have to work with my brother Cory as I am soon to go off planet."

"Oh?" said Jin, raising an eyebrow. "Didn't you already do that?"

Erik laughed. " Yes, but I'm doing it again! I've taken a crew position aboard a ship, and I'll be serving there until I return. Whenever that is."

Jin replied, "Very well then. What about your other siblings Terekai and Alliana?"

Erik laughed again. "They'll take a share of the money, I'm sure. But they won't help with the craft."

Jin smiled, amused. "I see! How much are you charging per craft!"

Erik replied, "200k."

Jin gaped. "You're kidding me! I've never paid more than 100k for a fighter! I understand the benefits but...come on, make it 150k at least."

Erik raised an eyebrow. "These craft are going to revolutionize your fleet and you know it. The price is fair. But to show I'm a reasonable man, I'll let you pay only 150k for the Shizeru fleet."

Jin grumbled but agreed. "Anything else?" he asked.

"Yes." replied Erik. "The Firestone stays with me. It's special."

"Very well." replied Jin, looking surprised. "But what's so special about it?"

Erik replied, "Three things. One, it was named for the Stone family. Two, it is white and blue, whereas the others we make for you will be yellow and white. And three, it is powered by an Alphelion core, the last great power source from the ancient space civilization of Varnavas. Which your ships won't have."

"Wow." replied Jin, looking awed. "That's quite something."

"Yes, I know." replied Erik. "That's why I want to keep it. Now, do we have a deal?"

"Yes." replied Jin, shaking Erik's hand.

"Good." replied Erik. "Now if you'll excuse me, I must tell Cory about the deal. He'll be ecstatic." And sad thought Erik, as he remembered he still had to bid farewell to his foster mother and siblings. Well, best get it over with. he thought as he left the room.

49 Reviews

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:13 pm
View Likes
wakarimasen says...

Ro Fidsmor

While she was out, Uncle Jasek had transformed the starboard cargo hold into a makeshift crientes enclosure. Just as she'd returned, Jasek was heading out to get some more supplies from the marketplace - medical supplies, mostly. Before he left, he'd asked Ro to try and feed it.

The catlike creature paced the length of the space, seeming to ignore Ro as she set a plate of food down nearby. Ro had no clue what a crientes might like to eat - judging by the size of those teeth, it was probably a carnivore, so she opted for some re-hydrated nerf stew rations. It was either that or re-hydrated mashed tubers - Ro hated those.

The crientes curled up into a ball and bayed mournfully.

She's sad, Ro realized, crouching down slowly, so as to not alarm the animal. Tentatively, she reached out to stroke the crientes' ebony feathers along its back, being careful to avoid the sutures. The animal looked up, and their eyes met for a precious moment.

"There, there," Ro whispered. "Everything will be all right."

Somehow, she knew the animal understood her ... and didn't quite believe her either. But being petted seemed to make her feel a little better.

Ro reached for the tuft of feather-fur behind the creature's ears. She'd met a stray tooka once, on Lothal, some years before - Grin didn't let her bring it home; he said it was too dirty - who loved nothing more than a good scratching behind its ears. Surely this feline would feel the same.

"Hey!" The crientes snapped its teeth, narrowly missing Ro's hand as she yanked it away just in time.

"She doesn't like it when you touch her head." Uncle Jasek had come up behind her, unnoticed. "Come. The crientes needs to rest."

"Did she take a swipe at you too?" Ro asked, scrambling away.

"I don't think she was actually trying to hurt you," Jasek replied with a shrug. "Otherwise, you wouldn't still have both arms."

Ro shivered. "Can animals talk?" she asked, changing the subject as they walked away.

Uncle Jasek pursed his lips in thought. "For sure they can talk, to each other, even if it sounds like noise to us."

Ro looked behind her at the cargo hold's closed door. "I feel like I can understand her ... sometimes."

Jasek frowned and was silent for a few moments. "Then," he finally said slowly and deliberately, "you just may have ... a gift."

Before he could say more, Ro heard two sets feet making their way up the boarding ramp, and was surprised to see her father followed by Erik Stone.

"Erik!" she exclaimed, rushing over to hug her friend. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm on the crew," Erik replied, grinning ear-to-ear. "Your dad offered to take me on, and mine said yes."

"That's amazing," Ro smiled back. "I'm so glad you're here!"

"Crewman Stone," Grin called down from the cockpit. "There's a gunnery station up here for your inspection."

"Aye-aye, Captain!" Erik gave an exaggerated salute that made Ro chuckle, and climbed up the ladder to join his captain.

"Please," Ro heard her father mutter, like he always did, "just call me Grin."

That only made Ro laugh even harder.

Grin Fidsmor

The Jade Star had made its jump to hyperspace over an hour ago. Grin loosened his grip on the controls and sat back in the captain's chair.

The great, galactic cat-napping, as Erik kept calling it, had gone well. Surprisingly well, in fact. This was the sort of quick and easy job that Grin and Jasek might drink to and chuckle about for years to come, but he couldn't shake a nagging feeling in the back of his mind.

He'd heard many things about the menagerie where this crientes was headed. Eduno had a thing for taxidermy, and the first time he'd come to her cottage on Csilla, she displayed several of her latest stuffed creations. Several of them, she'd killed, skinned, and stuffed herself.

He hadn't allowed Ro to accompany him - a rich crime lady's home is no place for a six year old - and knew he'd made the right decision. The thought of how the near-extinct models on display had come to be would have made the little girl cry.

Was he sending this animal to its death?

"You seem perplexed."

Grin turned to glare in mock-annoyance at his co-pilot. Sometimes, it was like Jasek could read his mind. But he was a good friend, and Grin trusted him with many things - including his life and the life of his daughter. Jasek had proven his loyalty fourteen years before.

"I am," he replied, returning his gaze to the electric-blue starfield passing over the cockpit window. "I have a really bad feeling about this ... delivery." He shared his concern about the crientes' (highly probable) potential fate.

Jasek untied and retied his ponytail, lost in thought. "Where I come from, we believe in respecting life in all forms."

"That's very helpful," Grin muttered sarcastically.

"I was going to lead up to this - you can still turn back," Jasek pointed out. "Tell Eduno that the crientes died en-route or something."

"Do you think that'll make a difference to her?"

Jasek shrugged. "We'll think of something."

"Where did Erik say the creature was found?" He glanced over to the empty gunner's console, which Erik had vacated for a round of holochess with Ro.

"Myrkr," Jasek replied. "I did a bit of digging before we left the spaceport. That woman we met, Anita Stone--"

"Don't remind me," Grin groaned.

"--she was headed there two nights before we left. If we head to Myrkr, we might be able to track her down. Between you and me, I think this crientes' life expectancy rate is much higher in Captain Stone's care."

Grin nodded, and turned on the comm. "Erik, I need you up here. Ro, you too."

Within minutes, the two young people scrambled up the ladder, covered in globs of colorful goo. Grin gave them a once-over and said, "That doesn't look like holochess to me."

Ro spoke up first, hesitantly. "We got bored with that, so ... we messed around a little with the gravity generator in the port cargo hold. And there was some paint."

"A lot of paint," Erik corrected her.

"It was supposed to be an experiment," Ro added. "In the name of science!"

"Just take a seat, both of you," Grin said, trying and failing to hold back an amused smirk. "You'll just have to clean them up later. Now, there's been a change of plans...."

The words you speak become the house you live in.
— Hafiz