z

Young Writers Society

Remus

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:04 am
View Likes
Europa says...

This is actually an Idea me and @HazelGrace16 came up with together, I'm just writing the synopsis.

Rome is viewed by the world as one of the greatest cities ever made. It's people are happy, the rich living in comfort and ease, the poor still getting bread and entertainment.
To the rest of the world, Rome is a paradise. But there is one part of this great city who is restless. one part of Rome's inhabitants that feel the need for Rome to fall into the hands of a new order.

The Cursed, humans born with terrifying and unnatural powers.

The Rest of Rome views them as monsters, as terrifying, untameable beasts.They are sometimes used as slaves, but the most common fate of these people is to be used as Gladiators in a special arena reserved for Caesar and the social elite of Rome.

But a few, a very few, managed to escape Romulus, Caesar's brutal organization of hunters, and retreated underground.

This society of Cursed have existed since The discovery of their race. They have grown in numbers and strength, and they have started their move on Rome. Who are these brave rebels? They are Remus, and by their hands, Rome shall be re-shaped.

Cesar will be overthrown.

The Cursed will be freed.

By the Hands of Remus, Romulus will fall.

And now, the rules.

. As always, NO PROFANITY WILL BE TOLERATED.

.I'm all for romance, but please, keep it PG. No graphic romance. Kissing fine, just keep it appropriate.
.No god-modding. Not fun, not cool.

.Don't kill a character without permission from their owner.

.you can have two characters if you want

As for the character template, here it is!
Spoiler! :
Name:
Looks: (Including wear. adding a picture is encouraged, just add a description here too.)
Personality:
Power:
Weapons:
Strength:
Flaw:
Up for love?:
History:
Other:

Join the rebellion, friend. The fate of Rome will be decided by you...

45 Reviews

Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:53 pm
Europa says...

Christopher Rhemes

The only sound in the hold was the sound of the sharpening stone scraping against the blade of one of my swards. The hold was always quiet during a fight. Outside, I could hear the crowd cheering and the metal of weapons clanging as the two gladiators clashed. The crowd roared louder, drowning out the noise of the fight. when the wild roar died down again, the sounds of clanging metal had stopped.
The fight had been won. And now...

right on cue, a bloodcurdling scream ripped through the air. I stopped sharpening my swards as the crowd began to scream wildly again.
I tensed, watching the entrance to the underground prison hold.

Had she made it?

She always managed to escape death, but this opponent had obviously been chosen as the man to end the rein of the young champion.

footsteps echoed through the chamber, and he rest of the gladiators looked up with impartial interest.
Most were just glad it hadn't been them fighting for their lives out there, but I felt genuine concern as the footsteps began to get closer.

I don't know what would happen to me if the guards came back with the man instead of...

Two armored guards marched into the dimly lit dungeon, flanking a tall, thin, girl with very short blue hair.

Aurelia. So she's managed to escape fate again. Thank the gods.

My head started to spin and I realized I had been holding my breath. It escaped me in a relived sigh.

Aurelia scowled at the guards, growling at the back of her throat like an animal.

One of the guards tightened his grip on her arm and she thrashed out of his hands, snarling.

She began to change shape, her teeth changing into fangs, her face elongating into that of a wolf's, but when the other guard brandished his whip, she backed off, letting her features become human again.

I put down my swards, and watched as the guards flanked her once again, one unlocking the door to her cell.
They threw Aurelia in, and the door slammed behind her. The guard she had almost attacked gave her a kick through the bars.

"You got lucky again, devil." He snarled.
"Fine. Every gladiator meets their match sooner or later. I'll wait, beast. I'll wait."

Aurelia hissed like a cat, crashing her fist against the bars. The guard jumped back, obviously terrified. Aure smirked and his expression turned sour. He said nothing more, only followed his partner down the hall, banging cell doors as he went.

Aurelia watched them go, and once she was certain they weren't coming back, reclined on her side, stretching out her arms and clawing the floor above her head with her fingers.

"Mmmhhhh. well, that was fun. Who doesn't love spilling the blood of a fellow Cursed form time to time? Makes for an interesting morning, yeah?" She sighed, grinning.

That was the first thing I had noticed about Aurelia when we first met. She never acted the same way around everyone. Her personality changed as frequently as her physical shape.

I shook my head, looking back down at my swards. I set the one I had finished sharpening down, and picked up the other blade.

"You could say that." I muttered.

Aurelia rolled back up into a sitting position, cocking her head and scratching an itch behind her ear.

"Oh, come on, Chris. You know I didn't mean it like that."

"I know." I said, not looking up from my swards.

For nearly the entire time I had been here, Aurelia and I had been side by side. Our cells were right next to each other, and over the course of the years, she and I had struck up something vaguely resembling a friendship, though we thought of it more as a sense of mutual respect. It was dangerous to get attached to another gladiator. If they didn't end up dead by someone else's hands, chances were high that you'd have to fight them yourself.

Aurelia's small smile returned, and she pushed up so she was sitting on her haunches, resting her palms on the ground, then flipped up into a one handed handstand and looking up at me, her sky blue hair hanging upside down, brushing the floor. her smile widened into a crooked grin, making her dark blue eyes sparkle.

"And the day is only half over. another day of death ahead of us, Chris. What a lovely life we have."

He smile fell, and she let herself fall onto er back, staring up at the ceiling above her.
She slipped her leather arm guards off her arms, and began slipping the leather chestplate off her body.

"He was right, you know. That guard?"

I set down my sward, and turned my full attention to Aurelia. Her bow and quiver of arrows were slung to the corner of her small cell, and her sward was lying unsheathed and bloody beside her.

"Every gladiator meets their match some day, Chris. we just haven't met ours yet. Who is it going to be? That's the only question that matters."

I rested my chin in my hand, running a finger over the scar on my cheek.
"We wont know until we die, Aure. My guess is we wont figure it out anytime soon either."

Aurelia smiled at the ceiling, and sat up, her loose white tunic and grey leggings covered with sand from the arena and the floor of her cell.

"I'll take your word for it, champion to a champion."

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:51 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

Ignis Jin

As our horses clopped through the darkness, the rushing sound of the crowd grew louder and louder. It filtered through a light at the end of the hall, our gateway into the glory of the races. I shook the reins of my horses in anticipation, practically bouncing in my four-horse chariot.

The harsh Roman sun glared in my eyes, but it was improper form to shield them. I did so anyway, looking around the oval stadium. Roaring crowds cheered on all sides as our horses pulled us around the dusty track, side by side in a regal line. Each man waved wildly some garment of color: red, blue, green, or white. Each man had some kind of encouragement for his favored team, and detriments for the opposition.

But then I raised my hand in an innocent wave, with a wide smile. The entire stadium burst into frenzied cheering, the stands coming alive as I grinned.

“Hey now, don’t show off so much.” I turned to see a tall, helmeted man looking at me with a smirk. “Give the rest of us a chance, will you?”

“Ah, sorry,” I said, scratching the back of my head with my hand. I smiled. “It’s just so exciting, Marius!”

Marius’ eyes widened, and his cheeks flushed scarlet. He turned away, deliberately gazing at the crowd. “Y-yeah,” he stammered, “it sure is.”

“Ignatius, you charmer,” A gentle punch on my shoulder drew my attention. An older man glanced at me through his own greetings to the crowd. “Give poor Marius a break, will you? There’s only so many men you can seduce within a day.”

I turned an indignant shade of red. “Wh-what? I’m not doing anything like that!”

“Of course you’re not.” The man’s eyes were on the crowd, but his words were to me. “Ignatius Jin, the exotic chariot-racing prodigy from the east. Idol to boys and girls everywhere, and, if I’m not mistaken, said to be Venus herself given flesh.”

“But I’m a guy!”

“You certainly don’t look like one!” the old man guffawed into his rough beard. “I understand that you can’t change your face, but your hair! Even the way you talk! It’s all just so...feminine!” He doubled over in his chariot, chuckling heartily.

My hand flew to my black ponytail, and the blue ribbon that held it in place. “There’s nothing wrong with my hair!” I tugged my armor up over my shoulder, fixing the azure cloth that marked it.

Marius and the old man patted their own blue sashes. These were my comrades of the Blue, our chariot faction. Obviously, I was the youngest, but still able to compete.

I waved to the spectators once more, glancing at my teammate. “Besides, you’re not really one to talk! Pompeius the Wiseman! Veteran of the Circus!”

“Oh, stop it boy, you’ll make me blush!”

I stood fuming in my chariot for the rest of the procession. Our horses circled the track and the ornate dividing pillars in the center. Loud fanfare accompanied proud, rippling flags, raising spirits to the high heavens. Priests came forth and thanked Jupiter for such fine weather, praying to Castor and Pollux for the strength our horses. Each and every part of it was flawless, the boisterous crowd roaring approval. This wasn’t just any old chariot race. This was a race in the Circus Maximus, the highest honor for charioteers.

As we began to parade out, a sudden chill shot down my spine. I looked up at the stands, my gaze drawn to the box reserved for royalty. An portly, elaborately dressed man sat in his seat, clapping his hands merrily. His servants brought him jugs of wine as he collapsed into a fit of jolly giggling.

But beside him stood a man in a pure white cloak, arms folded in solemn repose. The cowl obscured his face; and yet, I could feel his gaze, and it felt cold. My palms began to sweat, chest rising with each quivering breath.

Pompeius tapped me on the shoulder. “Come on,” he murmured, smiling. “Once more, for your adoring fans.”

I nodded tentatively, waving to the adoring spectators of the chariot races as we retreated back into our stables to prepare.

I felt the cloaked man’s eyes on me with every step.

-----------------------------

Drawing my knife from its sheath, I slashed violently downwards. The apple split apart neatly into two fresh halves. Repeating this with another apple, I then peeled both the skins away.

Pompeius walked into the dark stable as I offered my horses the treats. He snorted, crossing his arms. “Still peeling the skin from your apples?”

“They like it better this way,” I replied, the sable-skinned horses eagerly snatching the slices from my hand.

Pompeius walked over and plucked the apple skin from my hand, popping it into his mouth. “Can’t imagine why. Any part of an apple is a luxury for most people.”

I nodded solemnly. We chariot racers were the lucky few in Rome, the peaceful talented, the entertainers of our people. It was sheer chance that spurred me into my position. That, and my apparent attractiveness.

“Anyway, I just came to get Marius’ riding crop.” Pompeius walked over and grabbed a strip of leather from the dusty floor. “His first day, and he forgets the basic charioteer tools. Typical, right?”

I coughed into my fist. “Yes.”

Pompeius glanced at me apologetically. “Oh. Right, sorry...I didn’t mean it like that. It’s fine if you don’t use a whip, but what I’m saying is...well, for newbies, it’s just more…”

“Right.”

The old man winced. “Honestly, I really should keep my mouth shut. Maybe I’ve just grown senile on this track.” He rubbed the back of his neck, looking away. He glanced down at the whip in his hand. “Anyway, I’d better return this to Marius. I guess it’s his choice whether or not to use it, in the end.” Turning away, he began to walk out of the stables.

“Hey.” My voice flew out, gripping his shoulder.

He turned, raising a bushy eyebrow. “What? Marius gets a little jittery if he isn’t prepared, you know.”

I shook my head. “No, it’s not that. I...have you ever seen a man in a white cloak before? One that covered his eyes.” I tried to recreate the man’s pose, explaining his essence.

Pompeius frowned, his brow furrowing into a row of stormclouds. “I have.”

“What is he?”

Pompeius walked past me, hands behind his back. “Well, I’ve only seen him once or twice myself, but some other oldies say he might be some sort of royal guard.

“Then there are others,” he said, turning back, “who say he might be working for Romulus. You know - the Cursed hunters.”

I nodded slightly. I’d only heard faint tales of the Cursed, but the organization that claimed to hunt them was pretty well-known.

“I think I’ve even heard his name,” Pompeius continued, scratching his chin. “Something starting with S. Yes, it was Saturninus.”

Saturninus. Like Saturn, the father of Jupiter. That thought alone turned my blood to ice.

“Anything else you want to know?” Pompeius gave me a warning look.

I shook my head, turning back to my horses. “No, nothing.”

The old man nodded astutely. “Take care, pretty boy.” Heavy footsteps retreated somberly from the stable, leaving me in the darkness. The only sound was of my horses, chewing their skinless apples.

------------------------------

Marius had a white-knuckled grip on the sides of his chariot as we rolled forward. “What if I fall over?” He gestured frantically to his reins, which were tied around his torso. “I won’t be able to cut myself free in time!”

“Nonsense,” Pompeius scoffed. “You’re quick enough with your knife, so don’t worry. Besides, Ignatius isn’t scared, and he may or may not actually be a woman. Get your act together, Mary.”

“Hey!” Marius and I shouted in unison.

Pompeius chortled as our horses plodded up to the wooden starting gates. The other racers were already there, sporting their colors of red, green, and white. The crowd buzzed with excitement as we took our places. I reached a hand forward and patted my horses; Marius pulled out his riding crop.

Gradually, the noise died down, and our focus shifted to an elevated platform in the stands. The sponsor for the race, the tipsy, drunken man from before, stood there, holding up a white banner. Beside him, Saturninus, the hunter, stood with his head down. Oddly enough, nobody seemed to react to his presence.

The magistrate made some sort of speech, slurring his words together into something barely coherent. The mob accepted it anyway, roaring wildly in approval. Giggling giddily, the magistrate flung the banner into the air. The audience and racers held their breath as it drifted toward the ground.

Just then, Saturninus’ head shot up, a nightmarish sensation shooting through me. Beneath his cowl, I could see jade-green eyes staring coldly, as though willing me to die.

The cloth hit the earth, and the gates sprang open. My horses shot off eagerly, jerking me forward by my torso. A storm of dust flew around our feet, chariot wheels bouncing against each other, racers jostling for the lead.

“You can do it!” I yelled as my chariot began to pull ahead. My hands stayed at my sides, unmoving as the sound of whips pierced my ears.

Various cheers of “I love you!” and “Marry me!” erupted from the crowd. I politely turned them down with a nervous smile.

My ponytail flew out behind me as we turned right, rounding a turning post. Basically, that was how the chariot races worked: Get around the oval stadium seven times, as quickly as possible.

Marius’ horses thundered up alongside mine, their driver swinging his whip frantically. Marius didn’t so much as look at me, face frozen in a look of thrilled terror.

I shook my head and shifted my weight, the reins around my waist pulling my horses to the outside of the track. Marius immediately switched to the inside and dashed ahead. We were on the same team; besides, he needed the advantage more than I did.

Our stallions flew down the track, galloping with the force of storms. My chariot rattled a little as I rounded another dangerous curve. My dark steeds churned the earth vigorously beneath me, urged on by my cheering. Other racers were coming up behind us, staying tight to the barrier pillars in the middle of the stadium.

Pompeius was busy fighting his way through the pack, but Marius and I were in the lead. Marius had switched his whip arm and was still lashing away. I was lounging confidently in my chariot; it seemed that my first race of the day would be a victory.

Marius and I began to round another bend, nearing the finish line. My teammate slashed at his horses’ backs frantically, driving them faster. But suddenly, his grip slipped, and the whip flew from his grasp.

Desperately, he reached for it, unknowingly shifting his weight as he did so. His chariot slammed into mine, rocking it violently. Unprepared, I was thrown from my seat as my horses bucked, my steel cart capsizing onto its side.

Thrown into disarray, my team of horses knocked into each other, eventually tripping to the ground in a heap. Marius’ chariot shot forward as I hit the ground in the center of the track, still tangled in my reins.

My vision went spotty, and my breath went ragged. The crowd gasped as I reached for my knife, sawing frantically at the leather harness. The faint sound of thunder from up the track reached my ears. My eyes widened as Pompeius roared around the turning pillar, his horses kicking up a cloud of dust and death.

He seemed to notice me, as well. He jerked against his reins, veering to the right. But his horses began to slip, trampling feet rushing towards me.

My knife slashed uselessly at the bindings as I tried to crawl out of the way. It was no use. I looked up into the face of death as Pompeius’ horses bore down on me. The life seemed to drain from my blood as I raised my hands, trembling in fear.

I don’t want to die.

Pompeius’ chariot exploded, sending up a cloud of vermillion fire. Splinters of wood and metal flew outwards, cutting my skin. The flames erupted from the cart, enveloping his horses as well. Burning scraps of blue cloth fluttered around me, as I sat, stunned, in the wreckage of the chariot.

Pompeius was nowhere to be seen when the flames died down. Black ashes fluttered down on the wind, coating my arms in the darkness. The crowd was shocked into silence.

Trembling, I stared at my hands, flexing and closing them in disbelief. Had I done this? No, no, I couldn’t have. That wasn’t normal - that wasn’t human. That was-

“Cursed!” The cry rang out. The audience’s shock melted into fear, and they flooded from the stands, shoving each other in a mad stampede for the exit. A few soldiers tried to restore order, but they were quickly trampled beneath the tide of panic.

The charioteers stormed away, driving their horses as fast as they could travel. I sat on the dusty track, tangled in my reins as Marius crossed the finish line, then fled the stadium. Embers from Pompeius’ chariot burned around me, crimson tongues crackling, accusing me of my crime.

“No…” I said. “This can’t be happening!” Ripping my knife through the reins, I scrambled to my feet, running down the track. That was when a white-cloaked man jumped from the empty stands, landing in my path. Saturninus drew a sword from his side, his face still hidden.

My eyes went wide with terror, my teeth gritting. “Stay back!” I yelled, thrusting my hands forward. “I don’t want to fight you!” Nothing happened, but I still held my arms out, a feeble attempt at intimidation.

A low, rumbling laugh issued from Saturninus, rippling into the still air. “There are a great deal many things we want, or don’t want. What makes you think they’ll be fulfilled?” He lunged forward, thrusting his blade out.

I screamed, and the air next to him burst into violent petals of orange and black. The explosion blew his hood back, revealing his cold green eyes, and calm expression. He dashed around the flames, moving like a milky wraith. Dodging another combustion, he weaved towards me, his cloak flowing behind him.

Thrusting his blade beneath my chin, he regarded me with disgusted eyes. “I’m afraid that there’s only one path for you, Ignatius Jin.” He jabbed forward a bit, the tip of his sword pricking my neck. “The path of fire. The path of Ignis.” His emerald eyes shone lifelessly, the blade of his sword glinting silver.

I blacked out.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:44 am
View Likes
HazelGrace16 says...

Tabatha Blandus

Caesar is restless. I am sure of that. This is the third morning this week he has summoned me to meet. Nothing has changed in his rule as far as I know. Then again, it must be that he wants what every powerful ruler craves. Reassurance and trust. Two things he believes I can give him with my power. Fool.

I pace around the room bored waiting for his arrival. My gaze quickly catches on the highly polished metal mirror mounted to the wall. I look myself up and down disgusted with what I see. With what I have become. My red toga made of Chinese silk flows down my small body with pins strategically placed to show my curves. A gold rope is wrapped across my torso to bring attention to the clothing's intricate outlines. My deep brown hair is pulled up into a carefully arranged hairstyle held together by beautiful jeweled hair pins. I am a stranger in my own skin. The girl I once was would’ve hated, and envied me. The only pieces I still recognize from the girl I once was are my plain face, which I refuse to have makeup placed upon, and my Lunula amulet that my parents had given to me as a young girl. The worn silver crescent moon amulet often reminded me of them. Of how I betrayed them.

“Tabatha!” Caesar rushes through the door surrounded by his highest legionnaires. “Sit down. We have some things to discuss.” I nod quietly and take my place on the couch in the center of the room. The legionnaires follow suit, and take their places against the far wall with their gazes plastered off in the distance.

“What can I do for you Master?” I ask.

“Cursed have been attempting to escape my prisons, and still more cursed run around free in my cities. This is a problem, and I need you to fix it.”

“I assure you I have been doing everything in my power. I promise I will place a stronger mind hold on the prisoners, and I will visit more cities in the weeks to come. I have been doing much lately, and my power is falling weaker. Please pardon this set back, but I am doing the best I can.”

“Well that isn't good enough!” He slams his fist against the table, and I jump from the sudden outburst. “I am losing control of these blasted cursed, and I need to control that! The sooner they learn their place the better. Those freaks of nature need to return the hell they came from!” He looks long at me. “You are the only Cursed that I have discovered that actually has potential and worth. Don't screw it up.”

“I will not fail you. In the name of Jupiter I promise this. I just ask for more time. You more than anyone should understand what weakness can do to a person. You wouldn’t want your whole power hold of the cursed taken away now would you?”

“You dare threaten me child?”

“Not threaten. Warn. I am on your side. I should hope you’d do more to keep it that way.” He smiles, and slowly walks towards me.

“I appreciate your fire Tabatha. It's pure and strong. Very difficult to put out.” He grabs my chin strongly ripping my eyes to his. I gasp from the sudden pain. “And I hate that.” He lifts his hand, and slaps me to the floor with such force that my head spins.

“You may have earned your freedom from the arena Tabatha, but you’ll never be free of my rule. You belong to me, and you will listen to me. Understand?”

“Yes master…” I stand slowly, and he looks me over.

“You are truly a beauty to behold Tabatha. We mustn't let that go to waste. You’ll be in my council for the rest of my rule. Therefore you will need someone to lead you around, and keep you in check for me. Remind me to find a suitor for you. Preferably one that could control your attitude.” He looks to his soldiers. Few grin maliciously at me, while some even have looks of pity. Most however keep their gazes forward. We all are slaves to this world. “You are excused.” I slightly bow, and make my way quickly towards the door.

“Oh and Tabatha? I’ll see you at the arena later today.” He smiles darkly, and waves me off. I leave the room, but even leaving his presence does not relieve me of the feeling of hands wrapped around my throat. The pressure, the power, and the stress are choking me. I don’t know how much longer I can keep this up.

And no one seems to care.
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

Reviews: 0
Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:02 am
View Likes
TheForgottenKing says...

Anicetus Nikandros

Northern Province of Gaul,

"Stand fast!! The courage of Mars will give you strength!!" I shouted as I rode my horse back and forth, right behind my legion as they faced off against a Germanic tribe. The shield wall was holding well as my soldiers faced their enemies with strength. Herakles barked and followed my horse as I turned to my Equites." We must finish this once and for all. I want Turgood's head on my table tonight!!" I roared. My cavalry charged forward as the Legions slowly pushed back. I knew once the battle was won, the butchery would begin. Rape, death, and looting. Such was the way of the Republic. I smiled grimly as the Eagle shine bright above the battlefield, encouraging men forward as they worked like a machine, cutting down their enemies. I raised my sword and yelled, urging my men forward and on to victory.

"Legate!!" I watched a courier run forward. He bowed quickly than handed me a scroll. I turned to check on the battle's progress than checked the seal. Caesars own. I broke it and read the letter. I smiled grimly and turned to my Prefects and Captains." Seems Caesar would like to publicly thank us!! And it seems the senator, Marcus Brutus, will personally escort us with a company of Evocarti." I chuckled with my men. Everyone knew the Evocarti were a bunch of stuck up young lads who thought their wealth made them great soldiers. I handed the scroll back to the courier. He bowed and sauntered off. I turned to my second in command, Lucuis Vorenus, and nodded towards the battle." Finish up this lot than have the men back in the fort to welcome the Senator. We'll show him the hospitality of the Northern Legions." Vorenus saluted me." Ave Caesar Legate!" I returned it and urged my steed forward, back to our fort.

---------

"Oh Anicetus, you'll love Rome!! It's changed since you last visited!" Brutus chatted happily as we rode down a Roman road. I studied the countryside. It was all peaceful and green, only 12 miles away from Rome itself. My small company of legionnaires marched in perfect sync, the each Legion represented as their standard bearers each carried their legions standard. Brutus turned to me." Was it really necessary to bring 200 men?" Brutus teased, a smirk on his lips." You never know who may show up on the road." I responded quickly. He smiled and turned to his Evocarti cohort, all dressed in shiny armor, astride expensive steeds. My men had their armor and weapons shined and polished, yet they carried an air of weariness around them. But there was a special group of seven young lads who followed me on horseback. What most people didn't know, was that my personal guard was made up of cursed.

"Seems the whole city knows you're here." Brutus remarked, as cheering crowds flocked the streets." Ah, they all live to see war heroes." I remarked calmly, watching both sides of the crowd as I neared Caesars villa. My men were camped outside of the city, only thirty of my most loyal men with me. I watched out of the sides of my eyes. I was being watched. By members of Remus and Romulus both. And my daughter would know I was here as well. My beloved Juna, a Cursed girl, but my daughter still. And she was a fighter. She could create lifelike illusions, which was great for hiding amongst people or scaring people. "Ah there's the dictator himself." Brutus muttered." Those are dangerous words friend." I responded, looking at him. He simply responded with." Yes legate. And these are dangerous times." He peeled off of my troop, followed by his Evocarti. I sighed and prepared to meet my old friend and sparring partner, and now it seemed, my one day King.
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

45 Reviews

Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:53 pm
Europa says...

Aurelia Calva

The sound of my flute echoed around the sleeping hold, the mournful tune seemed to be the only thing in exsistance, floating through my ears and wrapping around me like the warmth of the sun.

The sole comfort in the miserable joke that had become my life.

I stopped playing for a moment, and took the Reed Flute away from my lips. It was a small object, small enough to hide from the guards, but still one of the most beautiful things I possessed. Made of pale brown wood, with intricate carvings decorating the suface of the instrument. I ran my fingers along the delicate swirls.

Beautiful.
Like the woman it belonged to.

My mother was one of the greatest people I knew. Brave, kind, and always gentle.

And Romulus had slaughtered her like a rabid dog.

My jaw clenched at the thought of it.

But then again, I was no better. If Romulus had killed hundreds of Cursed, I'd taken the lives of just as many, if not more.

There was a reason I couldn't ever get to sleep at night.

There was the sound of marching footsteps, and I quickly hid the flute in my quiver.

A guard came into view, dragging a half-conscious figure behind him.

Another life destroyed.

The guard opened an empty cell, and threw the boy inside.Or at least, I assumed it was a boy.
I watched as the lad pulled himself up onto his knees. He was small and slim, his long black hair pulled into a ponytail.

He looked around the hold at the sleeping forms of the other gladiators, the fear evident in his stooped posture, his tense shoulders.
His gaze came to rest on Chris, he was asleep, but still most certainly not the first person you want to come across on your first night here, a hulking, heavily muscled shadow in his dark armor, the moonlight shining on the long pale scar marring his face.

The boy stared, wide-eyed.

I smirked a little behind my hand. It looked like I wasn't the only one who wasn't going to be sleeping.

"Don't worry, scrap. Christopher might look a little scary, but he won't bite." I whispered.

The boy's head snapped around to look over at me.

I only stared back at him, my gaze intense, not giving away any of the pity I felt for the boy.

"Let me take a guess. By some series of tragic events, you were identified as Cursed, and sent here, to the arena. No training whatsoever. You have no idea what's going on. Who I am, what's going to happen to you. Well, I can answer both questions easily. I'm Aurelia Calva. And you're going to die."

When the boy finally spoke, I was only partially surprised at what he said.

"Why didn't they train me first?"

I laughed a little. Most gladiators were trained in special schools. They were allowed to hone their skills with weapons and become familiar with the arena.

But not us. We weren't normal gladiators. We weren't normal at all. We were Cursed.

"Schools are for humans, scrap."

I reclined on the ground, sighing. My gaze came to rest on my quiver, and the flute resting inside it, but I thought better of bringing it out in front of a new gladiator. I had a certain vision I impressed upon everyone here.

A terrifying, hated, and heartless vision, but a vision nonetheless.

I felt the new boy's eyes on me, pricking my skin. I huffed a little through my nostrils.

Without turning over, I spoke again.

"Listen, scrap. If you want to have even the slightest chance of surviving, never, ever, panic. Stay calm, come up with a strategy, and for Jupiter's sake don't ever let your opponent know your weakness."

Silence.

I smiled to myself.
"Yes, it's best not to thank me. Most likely I'll have to I'll you later, and I have enough to deal with without having to feel guilty about you."

Reviews: 0
Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:38 pm
View Likes
TheForgottenKing says...

Brunhilde Wymarc

Death and fear. It was in the air. After news of the Roman victory of the Wolf of Rome as we called him, people were scared. It was like a storm, and it only grew worse, as did the fear. We had lost many fighters, but still had many left. Our king, Turgood, had been slain and beheaded by the Romans, an affront to the gods we worshipped. My nose quivered. The stink of rot and death hovered around my village as the injured were given mercy killings or sent on too other villages to undergo treatment. My father had commanded me to stay away. If people knew the Healer was here... Well they probably would've mobbed me for help.

My mother had been killed fighting the Romans, and it had seemed to become soothing that my father was obsessed with now. All he knew was war and it consumed him. He wa always yearning for it, and no matter how many Romans he killed, he still wanted to kill more. I blinked, studying the great forest around me. Utlog watched me curiously from a high branch as I picked up a flower. It was beautiful, and yet had managed to grow in a place like this. How could things like this be possible? In a time of war and death such as this.

I was shaken from my reverie as my father approached. He smiled at me as I turned to look at home." Oh my beautiful daughter, how fair and golden in this dark land. A shame you would be brought at a time like this. But I remiss. It is time to go home while the warchiefs father more man for another attack and we crush the Roman dogs and their master, once and for all, and than perhaps your mother will rest at peace." He held out his hand to me and I took it, following him to our waiting tribe. I readjusted my quiver nervously as the hungry stares from young men seemed to follow me, only protected by my father's fierce gaze. We began the long ride home as the sun began on the land of my forefathers.

----------

"By the gods Brunhilde, maybe we should place you on the battlefield!!" Tyr said admiringly, watching my place arrow after arrow into the the target. I smiled graciously at the compliment, and rolled my eyes jestingly." I killed a good dozen Romans or so before they called the retreat!" Styrn said proudly, puffing out his chest. With a sigh I began to pluck my arrows as the boys began to brag about how many they killed, and began to argue amongst themselves. My warden, Daedra, smiled at me." Oh sister, how the boys seem to love bragging about their kills. Although I distinctly remember them the first ones back at camp. I smiled. Daedra was a sister of the Right Hand, a woman's warrior group, whom I was under probation currently. My father was proud to see me go into the same sisterhood my mother had, but a bit worried as well. Daedra glanced casually at the boys than rolled her eyes.

"Well sister, tonight is the induction ceremony. Tommorow you'll be a sister!! And that also means you'll be eligible for marriage." She winked at me and wiggled her hips. I smiled widely. Daedra was a wonderful woman. Basically a second mother to me as well as my warden. I turned back to the boys and made a face. This caused Daedra to break out in peals of laughter." No no sister, we'll Find you the right husband. A good fighter as well as a handsome man. I can promise you that." I blushed Crimson at this. She smiled at me as I began to place the arrows into a bin. I took off my gloves and refilled them neatly, before placing them in my side bag. She smirked." So prim and proper, yet I know you have the heart of a warrior." She extended her arm." Come sister!! Let us go prepare you for the ceremony!!"
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:58 pm
Chaser says...

Valerius Faustus

In the forest, the forest, the quiet forest,

Where trees stretch up to the sky,

The songbirds alight in a beautiful chorus,

Echoing their lullaby

I finished the song with a flourish of my fingers, rippling the strings. “So, what do you think?” I asked, setting my lute down.

A violent roar erupted from behind the bars of the cell, blowing my hair back. Spittle flecked my cheek as the lion thundered its furious response.

“I think so too!” I grinned and placed the lute against my stool, leaning forward. “Master will love it! Maybe even love me…” My heart fluttered for a moment, and I flushed pink. “Master…”

The lion snapped angrily through the gaps in the dank cell. Raggedy paws strained against the iron chains that bound them to the floor in the holding grounds of the Colosseum.

I reached my hand out to pet it, oblivious to the fact that it chomped viciously at my fingers. “We could even adopt you. Her, me...and our housecat…” I let out a dreamy sigh.

The lion roared and rattled its shackles, shaking its head fervently. I grinned.

“But I can’t get sidetracked.” I said, packing my lute into my bag. “As a servant of the Faustus family, I must provide for my master whenever she calls.”

I fished in the leather handbag and pulled out a thick slab of meat. “This is for you, by the way. Thank you for listening to my song!”

The lion looked surprised as I tossed the meat into the cell. Sniffing for a moment, it then tore the food hungrily apart, seeming to savor each bite. I smiled.

“Seeya!” I stood up and walked happily out of the dungeon.

The light blasted in my eyes as I emerged from the earth. The Colosseum towered proudly behind me, glorious in the morning sun. The streets were alive with the buzz of merchants selling their exotic wares. It looked to be another glorious day in Rome.

I hitched the bag up on my shoulder and set off. Master would be waking up any minute now, and I didn’t want to miss it.

-----------------------

Master woke up with angelic grace, stretching and yawning adorably. She was a frail little girl with blond hair, blessed with lovely youth. It was hard to believe that she was seventeen already. Her tiny body was clad in thin linen nightclothes, bringing a faint blush to my cheeks. Slipping out of bed, she pattered over to her dresser.

I held a plate of olives out to her, bowing enthusiastically. “Good morning, Master!”

She popped an olive into her mouth, nodding. “Good morning, Valerius.”

I looked away momentarily, setting the plate down. “I, um, purchased the food for today’s meal. And...also...I-”

“Excellent,” Master responded raptly, searching her dresser for her clothes. “Did you remember the eggs for Saturninus? He’ll be visiting today.”

I nodded, swallowing the rest of my sentence.

“After that, we’ll be going to the Colosseum, as per his invitation,” Master continued. “Try not to stand out too much.”

Head down, I nodded again.

“Right. I think that’s everything.” I looked up as she yawned again. “Ah, I’m so tired...a late night of paperwork again.” She began to strip down, tossing her garments to the floor.

In a flash, my hands were over my eyes. Master kept talking in the darkness. “Tons of bills for property damage. And they’re all from your hunts.” She sighed. “What have I told you about getting carried away? You’re going to be exposed if this keeps up.”

I’m not the one who’s exposed right now! I thought in silent protest.

“I’d better have Saturninus train you, or-” A pause. “Are you listening? You’re not looking at me…” A note of curiosity rang in her voice.

Tentatively, I opened my eyes and peered through my fingers. Immediately, I shut them again, reddening. “Sorry, Master! I’m listening! I’m listening!”

Master sighed in exasperation. “You know, for one of Romulus’ top hunters, you’re surprisingly weak-willed.”

I flushed bright crimson, swallowing.

She stepped closer. “Besides, a Roman noble shouldn’t have to dress themselves. And you’re the only servant I have. I don’t mind you seeing, you know.”

My entire face was ablaze. I stuttered, “Wh-what? But Master-”

“You’ve forced away every man who’s applied to work for me. Don’t think I don’t know about it. You used a sword, for Jupiter’s sake,” she continued, sighing. “So, what’re you going to do?”

She stopped, tracing a finger over my neck. “You’re a man, aren’t you? Take responsibility.” Her breath was warm on my skin, her hands slowly unblocking my sight. Faintly now, I could see...Master’s-

I couldn’t take it.

“I’m sorry!” I cried, knocking her away and dashing out of the room. Slamming the wooden door behind me, I sank down the wall. My face flushed scarlet as I panted, the guilty excitement fading away.

“I couldn’t even faze her,” I mumbled, walking out into the small stone courtyard. My shoes tapped on the grey cobble as I neared the cistern in the center.

Splashing rainwater onto my face, I tried to wipe the recent events from my mind as best I could. I didn’t know when I began seeing Master this way; it hardly mattered, though. I could not be distracted. Love was pure. Love was noble. Only after marriage could I-

I smashed my head against the ground. No! I could not even think that. I was Master’s humble servant. Just her humble servant.

Shakily, I stood up and went to prepare the meal. I was Valerius Faustus, servant of the Faustus family. I was the greatest hunter Romulus had ever known. And I was also a complete failure as a man.

-----------------

Plunging my hands into the furnace, I retrieved the pan of cooked fish from the fire. The hot stone hissed as it met my skin. I winced and quickly set it down on the counter, blowing on my palms to cool the burning sensation.

Sprinkling a pinch of salt over the dish, I drew a knife and diced the meat into small chunks. This daily ritual never failed to strike a chord of pity into my heart. The lives of these poor fish had been cut short by a fishing hook and blade.

However, I thought while arranging a circle of olives, I can think of no better fate than to please Master. I smiled and carried the plates out of the stone kitchen.

Master was fixing her hair in the dining room as I came in. She fiddled with a wooden hairstick behind her head, wrapping her blond locks around it.

Her choice of decor for the dining room was questionable by most standards; tapestries of swords and flames covered the walls like a curtain of hell, and a stone statuette of Mars adorned the tabletop. But I held a bit of pride in knowing what it all meant.

Though you wouldn’t recognize it right away, Master was born of middle-class blacksmiths, taking up the trade after her father died on the front lines. It was truly inspirational, the way she managed to bargain her way to Rome’s elite. I was lucky to serve her, temptress though she was.

I set the plates down, bowing respectfully. Still a bit miffed from the morning’s events, I brusquely went to prepare more food.

“Valerius?”

I stopped. “Y-yes, Master?” I turned around, eyes half-shut.

Master struck a sultry pose, thrusting her chest out. “How do I look?” She was clad in a gold-trimmed cotton gown, the edges of which fluttered in the wind. The effect wasn’t exactly seductive; it was, however, completely adorable.

I covered my mouth, stifling my reaction. “You look fine,” I stammered eventually, stalking out of the room before she could stop me again.

Yanking the front door open, I looked outside, shielding my eyes against the sun. A small path led down a grass-covered hill, towards the rest of the city. A light breeze swept across the emerald landscape, brushing the blades in rippling green tides.

Sucking the fresh air into my lungs, I smiled. Slowly, a single, musical note worked its way up from my lungs. Spreading my arms, I burst into rapturous-

“Good morning.”

I whirled around to find Saturninus standing in the doorway. His white-cowled expression was unreadable as ever, lips set in a stern line.

Realizing myself, I quickly straightened my pose. My song could wait. And wait it would...

“You’re the servant here, aren’t you?” The hunter turned on the balls of his feet, walking inside. “Come along. I’ll greet your master myself.”

I swallowed and nodded, though he was already heading in. Shutting the door, I followed him through the courtyard in complete silence. Saturninus’ cloak trailed behind him like giant white wings, his footsteps unnervingly quiet, slipping across the stones without a sound. Technically, we were of the same rank, but there was something about Saturninus that demanded respect. Or rather, politely asked for respect while showcasing seventeen ways to kill you if you didn’t.

Master was lounging on one of the couches as we entered the dining room. The three couches surrounded the stone table where I had spread the food. One for Master, one for her guest, and another for extra food when I made too much to fit onto the table.

Saturninus sat down, back ramrod-straight. “Good day to you, Miss Faustus.”

Master regarded him with a cold stare. “Saturninus.”

She beckoned for me to feed her; I plucked a bit of fish from table, pushing it into her mouth. She chewed slowly, holding the world hostage with suspense.

Master swallowed. “Well?” she said, gesturing to the spread of food. “Would you like some?”

Saturninus glanced at her with his unnerving green eyes before grabbing a boiled egg from the table. Peeling it, he spoke. “I simply came to visit, Miss Faustus. As well as notify you of some developments in our organization.”

Master narrowed her eyes. “Oh? Do you know something I don’t?”

“I know many things that you do not; it comes with being a separate being,” Saturninus responded coldly, discarding the eggshell to the floor.

The two hunters glared at each other across the table. I looked between them nervously before sneaking a piece of meat into my mouth.

Saturninus swallowed his egg whole, gulping it down like a hungry serpent. “As I was saying, orders have come in from Caesar. He wants the both of you to start working at the Colosseum.”

Master looked surprised. “What? But why?”

Saturninus glared at her coldly. “Apparently he feels that your skills would come in better handy overseeing the tournaments. As for Valerius, you could probably guess.”

I hung my head as Master gave me a look.

The hunter nodded slightly. “Apart from his destructive tendencies, Valerius is notoriously vigilant. The second-ranked field hunter in Romulus, as well as one of its most promising.” Saturninus peeled another egg. “All of this makes you excellent candidates for Colosseum supervisors. At least, this is what I deduced.”

“So that’s why you’re taking us there today,” Master said bitterly. “To acquaint us with our new jobs?”

Saturninus held up a finger as he swallowed. “Yes and no,” he said finally. “Your Colosseum duties are merely part-time, and you can still take up missions for Romulus. However, it would be best not to take Caesar’s orders lightly.”

He looked away briefly. “Also, I do wish for us to enjoy the fights today. Mainly to check upon the Cursed I recently captured. I believe you would know a chariot-racer by the name of Ignatius Jin?”

Master nodded. “The exotic chariot-racing prodigy from the east.”

“Idol to boys and girls everywhere,” Saturninus affirmed.

“Said to be Venus herself given flesh,” I completed, giving Master another piece of fish.

Saturninus shifted, ever so slightly. His hands twitched from his stone-still position. “So, what say you?” he said, casually observing the wall murals. “Will you join me, Miss Faustus?”

Master glanced at him in surprise, then smiled. “I suppose I can’t turn down a man’s invitation, now can I? We shall go on a...well, the plebeians call it a date, don’t they?”

“A date!?” Saturninus and I exclaimed in unison, turning pink.

My master smirked, rising from the couch. “It’s a joke, dear Saturn. Valerius, we’ll be off now.”

Hesitantly, I bowed. “A-as you wish, Master.” I cleared the table as the hunters of Romulus left their seats, heading for the door.

I bit my lip to keep from mumbling harsh words. It wasn’t even noon, and a love rival had already appeared. Not to mention that I’d have to be twice as careful, given that he was the third most powerful hunter in our organization.

The reason I needed to be cautious was simple: I was a Cursed. I, Valerius Faustus, was the indestructible servant of Milady Aelia. And I could only hope it would stay that way.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

"You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it."
— We Bought A Zoo