z

Young Writers Society

Powered

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:45 am
FallWolf says...

Hola! This storyboard is all about whomever you want to create. There are only three rules: 1, your character has to have a superpower (can be anything from turning into a dragon to being able to see farther than any other human alive) 2, your superhero has to have a good weakness and 3, please no demons or swearing, and minimal romance please! (If it is romance, please make it a good romance, not just a crushy sort of 'he/she looks so hot' thing. And no gay romances please! Woa, this rule is beginning to get really big... I'll stop now =P)

Note: Though this Storyboard is now on the roll and in the action, you can still jump in with a character if you like =)

Two girls named Katrina and Cody have made a website where other superheros can show their true identity. However, when the secret site blows up in their faces, the two girls have to meet up with some of the other supers, those who feel up for some adventure, danger, and more than a little bit of terrifying.
Cody (I will play her if she is needed, but my character Katrina usually includes Cody's interactions in her blurb) can turn anything to ashes, but she has almost no control over her power. Note, don't touch her when she's emotional.
Katrina has no powers (and is played by me! FallWolf) but is witty and athletic enough to not care.
Now it's up to you. Cody and Kat need as much help as they can get to steal back the user list of all the young supers who were signed into their website. Yes, it might be all their fault, and yes, they put you in grave danger when a group of hackers stole their list, but they can't fix this alone. So if you have the guts for it, meet Cody and Kat this midnight, at the small coffeehouse near the edge of town. This may seem cheesy, but your life and the life of other young supers rests on your shoulders.

If you're scratching your head trying to come up with a good character, but just... can't... think..., here's three bare-bone characters I have come up with, so you can play as one of these guys or draw inspo from them =)

Samantha Cerrile
Power: Anything Samantha draws has the power to come alive, again and again as needed. She keeps all her drawings in her journal. Her weakness: at the beginning of the story, Sam is not creative. She would rather have other kids go out and save the world, but her uncle (only living relative) who is a local super told her to go.

Jayson Sanso
Power: Jayson can control any kind of metal, as well as make ingenious inventions. Weakness: wood, plants, practically any kind of flora. He is not outdoorsy at all, and has allergies to three kinds of grass.

Taisha Malraide
Power: can transform into any kind of dragon she wishes, including normal fire breathing, camouflage, water and transport (her largest transfo. Her other dragons are about the size of a pony or horse.) Weakness: Taisha is extremely clumsy. Extremely.
Last edited by FallWolf on Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

31 Reviews

Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:45 pm
FallWolf says...

Okay, so I now have a DT for this Storyboard for if you have any suggestions (sorry I didn't get it sooner!). I got some suggestions from NicolMemo concerning some of my character building and stuff in a pm;
"There are many things left unexplained such as
1. The setting of the story. (The place, The age, The time, And so Forth...)
2. Evil Characters (Antagonists). Can we choose to be evil... You don't explain much about this side. All I know is there are hacker. Do the evil have power. I bet they have.
3. Characters' Detailed Information. Do we have to make it like you did..."
-NicolMemo
For NicolMemo and others, here you go =)

The age is 2015, real time. The place is a world where superheros are pretty much the norm, but not engineered, and right now the supers are meeting Kat and Cody at a coffee shop near the edge of the city Opezz. All the supers have been born with their powers. The starting point of the story is a coffee shop near the edge of Opezz where Kat and Cody have agreed to meet up with the other young supers.
Okay, so NicolMemo pointed out that I did not introduce my hackers (antagonists) so right now I will introduce them for anyone who wants to be a villain.
The hackers are part of a group that are trying to genetically engineer their own superheros. They have had some results, making some really weird villains. You can play as a villain if you like =) You can be as powered as you like, but still a good weakness.
Also, I would like everyone to have at least these three things in the description of their characters:
Power:
Weakness:
Hello:*
*A greeting from the character telling a bit about themselves.
other than that you can add any character description you like, including how old they are, height, hair color, whatever =P
I think that's it for now, have fun! =)
Last edited by FallWolf on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

31 Reviews

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:12 pm
View Likes
FallWolf says...

Kat-
Cody and I have come to the coffee shop a lot of times. It's right in between the two houses where we live, and it's by the edge of the city, so it's a pretty sweet spot. Most of the time we come here to work on our website, Powered, but today we were here for a very different reason.

I can see Cody glaring at the table across from me, opening and closing her hands tensely. When the waiter came along I waived her away. No use having anyone around while Code was this grumpy.

My foot taps quickly on the floor, noting my pent up energy. Okay, nervousness. Pent up nervousness. Code had been mad at me ever since I told her how some creepy hackers had totally ruined our tip top, unbreakable website. So maybe I wasn't the best at site building, that wasn't my fault! Still, I am pretty guilty. It was my plan in the first place to make a secure site where other kids could show off their powers. Or make sure to keep them hidden. I mean, when you have a blog where you can vent off about every time you've wanted to use your power but didn't, it is much easier to keep a zipped mouth the rest of the time.

My finger starts tapping on the cheep plastic tabletop. Code glares at me from under her rust orange bangs. I stop tapping.

"How many do you think will show up?" she asks in her quiet voice. I shrug noncommittally.

"I emailed everyone, but you know most of them are going to stay home cause of parents." I pause. "Hey, do you want to get something? I mean, like a hot chocolate or maybe a coffee..."

"You have too much energy already." Cody says in the same, flat tone. Yet I notice that she's stopped clenching her hands and has them folded, relaxed, on her lap. I grin, and she shakes her head at me.

Behind me, the door jangles, and I twist around sharply. Then I relax, disappointed. Just another working guy coming in for his coffee break. He sits at a booth near the window and looks out. I quickly loose interest in him.

My foot is tapping again.

How much longer? I think distractedly, looking out at the street over my shoulder.

As if it was complying to my wishes, the door jingles, letting another customer into the shop.

524 Reviews

Reviews: 524
Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:56 am
felistia says...

Ziera
I slowly walk into the dark coffee shop, almost instantly my senses are bombarded by the smell of strong black coffee and cakes. I look around, scanning the tables and chairs set around the shop. My eyes catch on a pair of girls sitting in the back corner, one a tall, dark haired girl and the other a red head. They wave at me to come over.

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:10 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

Rodney

I tiptoe into the shop, wincing as the bronze chimes announce my presence. Looking around, there's nothing too remarkable about the place...not that I can judge.

Some girls give me strange looks as I walk in. I can feel my face heat up as I adjust the black patch over my right eye. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Why didn’t I get a white one? At least those draw less attention. Instead, I look like a scrawny pirate. The jacket doesn’t help, either.

But I need to be here, assuming the mods were telling the truth. In a way, this is my fault as well. If I'd just shut up about my problems, nobody would have ever found out.

Pulling up a stool at the wooden counter, I try to ignore the stares heating up my back. I’ve never fully gotten used to the way people would give me a second glance, wondering what kind of guy I was. I’ve never really beaten down the feeling I got when children hid behind their mothers from me. And I’ll never be able to cope with that one, single question that hangs over my conversations, glinting like a guillotine.

“So, why do you wear it?”

I freeze. The voice came from beside me. Out of the side of my vision, I can see one of the girls from the table, leaning on the counter next to me. Is she talking to me? Idiot, of course she is.

“Th-that’s not really important…” My fingers fidget at the dark fabric again.

“Really? Because I think it might be.” The girl gazes at me oddly, brushing back her black hair.

I shake my head fervently. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Getting up, I walk briskly to the register.

“I’d like a frappucino...if you have those,” I say, my eye darting around the menu.

“Same here.” I look over, surprised. The girl smiles back at me, uncomfortably close.

I stare at her as the cashier placed our orders, and we move out of line. She follows me to the edges of the coffee shop, bouncing with curiosity. Her presence seems to repeat her question, boiling in my skull. Why do you wear it? Why do you wear it? What’s underneath?

“Look, if you’re just here to make fun of me, you can leave!” The words are out of my mouth before I know it, ringing in the air between us like some terrible hex.

The girl draws back, surprised. The silence sinks in, drawing a curtain of guilt over my words.

“I...I’m sorry.” Biting my tongue, I turn to go. Coming here was a mistake. Even I should have known that. Just because they’d said on that stupid blog to come here...

“Hold on.” A hand grips my wrist, not angrily, but firmly. The girl stares back sympathetically. “Sorry about that. I guess I was a bit too nosy there, huh.” She clasps her hands behind her head. “You must get asked that often. I just...thought I might have recognized you.”

“From where?” I cock my head. People like me aren’t exactly commonplace.

“Oh, that depends,” she smirks. “Did you ever meet a fellow by the name of Dementian?”

And for the second time that day, I freeze.

I stand there, rigid stone, rooted to the floor of the coffee shop. I can vaguely hear the cashier call my name with my drink. But my attention is wholly fixated upon this strange, powerful girl, who somehow knew a username I had disguised myself with for a stint on an online blog.

The girl smiles, turning away. Thanking the cashier, she scoops our frappes from the counter, coming back to where I stand, still frozen in time. “Have a seat,” she says, gesturing to her table. “We’ve been waiting for you.”
Last edited by Chaser on Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

31 Reviews

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:12 pm
View Likes
FallWolf says...

Kat-
I can see that the boy I only know as Dementian is incredibly nervous. Maybe to another person he would look normal, but I had spent two summers tracking down supers and finding out the small ticks and habits that they always have. He fingers his eye-patch unconsciously, and I mentally slap myself in the face for asking him that dumb question.

why do you wear it?

Though I had needed to know the answer, anyone could see that the boy almost hated his fashion choice, and instead of cruising up to him and nonchalantly welcoming Dementian to the rapidly filling table where Cody and I were holding our "meeting", I had hit a nerve.

Not a good plan when you want someone's help.

Even now he sits rigidly, staring in turn at the three faces around the table. Cody, of course, silently stares back at him. The other person, a pretty black girl with unusual amber eyes, looks around pointedly, waiting for someone to speak. I comply, after taking a sip of my chocolate frappe. Mmmmm, chocolate and coffee. Can't get any better.

"I'm sure some more people will get here soon." I say, including everyone at the table with a sweep of my eyes. "but if they don't get here in..." I look at the clock on the grungy wall beside me, "two hours, we'll start with what we have.
"By the way, I'm Katrina, or Kat. I like being called Kat. This is Cody, or Code, but she only likes to be called Cody." I wave my free hand at Cody, who gives the two others a small smile and nod. "And we are the crazy people who made the website Powered."

Again I pause, waiting for the results of my speech. The black girl nods her head, but Dementian just looks down at his own frappichino. He hasn't drank any of it yet. I sigh.

"Look, I don't want to say the whole thing over and over," mine as well stave off my humiliation for a while at least, "So we'll wait and see who else comes before I give you the details." I signal the end of my talk by taking a long gulp of chocolaty heaven. Yeah, my energy is really bursting now. I hope more people come soon.

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:43 am
fukase says...

Hue William.
On the street of Opezz.
One hour after Midnight.

The air tenses.

I'm late! I'm late!

As I walk by the streets, many unusual conversations caught up in my small mind. Gosh, why should I care anyway? It's so dark than usual.

I was shocked to read an email by a web, Powered, that I signed up recently. Then, in the mail stated, "You're to be going to a coffee shop in Opezz. Some dangerous missions ahead. Be warned that this is not a spam. This is about your safety. You can ignore this mail, but that is up to you to decide."

Hence, I'm going there.

…But the main problem here is I'm lost…

I know, I know that I'm stupid for not venturing out of my house. I just don't want to meet people and their buzzing in their head like now. If I just could ask the people here…

This particular, eerie word goes into my mind memorably: *Done…* What's this, a kind of a horror movie in the middle of a night? Gosh, gosh, why should I care! I turn on my MP3, plug my earphones: That relieves me somehow from all the buzzing. Still, more words seem to be entering: *Target one confirmed… All I need is…*

It's from the same voice. Plugged off my earphones, I tried to concentrate because I think something bigger is going on.

I can control my power to focus on a voice and the voice will get louder and clearer when I'm near it. But I can't turn it off like pushing the power button on your laptop.

I walk slowly and bingo: a boy's voice's kicking in: *Let me go! You know nothing of me! I can…*

I go deeper into the valley between two gloomy buildings. I smell dead animals, and realize it's raining. I run and bump onto a suspicious man?…holding a fainted boy.

"Lucky day!" The man says to me.

Oh no. Not him. Not now. Gosh. What shall I do? That voice. Bah! I hate his voice.

Run? No, I don't have the time, and it will make me look like a coward.
Fight? My pleasure…

But before that, let's take a look:

The man is wearing a dead-old denim trouser with a plain, greased, white T-shirt. Not to my surprise, I notice blood stains on him. He isn't that tall and tough, so I might have a chance against him. In his arms was the boy. I think he was the one that talked through my mind.

Around me, nothing much but the typical trashes around this slum. It's foul as it looked like. No one else is here, I guess, because I don't hear any other voice. In addition, this place is cramped. I take a few glimpses and see a few things:

A worn, old broom; glass shards on the floor; a beautiful, skull-like graffiti. There are places like this in the world? Gosh.

The fighting starts!

This will be easy. I should thank God for my power this time. I fully read his moves all the time. I nimbly avoid the punching and the kicking. I enjoy this.

He let's go of the poor little boy, and not to my surprise again, he pull out a full-of-dried-blood dagger. Gosh, he doesn't like to clean his things first or what? I hate dirty people like him.

The fighting ends!

The situation switches. I now hold the broom, his dagger flies away. I smash him with the broom quite lovely. All my time sweeping my house pays off nicely. However, he was able to leave my left hand a 10 centimeter scar. I shall treasure it as my first win of a bloody fight.

I boo him, and watch his take-off. Gosh, what a day! I turn to my right, the boy's sleeping there. I try to wake him up by poking his shoulder.

"Um, hey?" I say to him.

The boy's awaken and with a gagged tone. "Thanks for that."

I read his mind fully. Gosh, he got power like me too and quite a strong one. He was going to the coffee shop too! Luckily, he knows where the shop is.

I hate talking, but I have to. "You… Ermm… Going to the coffee… What shop… Too, right?" I say the words! Hurrah! I think I got them right…

"Yes." He narrows his eyes to me. What's this, an eye-to-eye contest? "You got the mail too?"

"Probably, and who was that guy?"

"Donno too."

"Name's Hue. 14."

"Oh, my name is Yuki as in Japanese means snow. Call me Snow, if you can, I prefer it more. I ain't a Japanese to begin with."

Whatever! I know it already, duh. "Nice to meet you? Err, let's go already to the coffee-whatever-shop first."

"Okay?"

He guides me! Luck, I guess. We walk into the shop and bronze chimes chime. I look at my watch. It's more than late… I focus myself, and we go to a table.

I say, "Kat, are you?"

"Yes! Hue and Snow, right? Have a seat, we have been waiting for you two!"

Snow says, "Thanks. Sorry that we were late. We bumped into a weird situation."

Wow, awesome powers! My days will be even weirder…and I'm glad of it. I have long waited for an adventure! A real adventure. We introduce ourselves and explain what had happened. All of them are watching with such interesting eyes. Weirdos, weirdos. And obviously, Snow does all the talks. Again, I'm glad to have him on the board. Guess, Snow and I will be great partner.

The rains stop. I sigh. The dawn's almost arriving.
Last edited by fukase on Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love Koku.
He is damn cute and should be the main character
and not some lazy old man that supposedly genius but a sucker in his own life.
Koku is Koku.
Koku is CUTE.
~ B-The Beginning (A Netflix Anime.)

31 Reviews

Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:07 pm
FallWolf says...

I'm a night owl. I love staying up past the norm, when other people have already gone to sleep and the world is quiet for once. So when the last two members of our small team, Snow and Hue, arrive at 1 o'clock in the morning, I'm not fazed. Plus I still have the energy from my frappichino going through my brain.

Cody took a nap during the three hours we waited. I know, one hour more than I thought we would wait, but I didn't really want to set off with only four kids in our team. Anyways, I knew that Hue would come. On my site, Hue was always there, just looking. Never really telling much about himself, but always reading about the other supers. Sometimes he would post a quote or something, but mostly just... there. Curious, I guess. In two ways.

Anyways, it was good that he had met up with Snow. Snow, as far as I can tell, is trustworthy and nice, and does the talking for both of them. If Code and I are anything to tell by, opposites attract and are able to take care of each other. Better than showing up by yourself. I look around the table, at the teen who came in by himself, the girl who sits primly, the curious blonde boy and the black-blue haired, trusty boy who almost got himself killed getting here. And I smile. What a band of misfits we are.

Then I realize that they are all staring at me. My smile melts into a nervous grin as I realize I had drifted off into thought while they were all waiting for me to give them answers. Straightening in my chair, I fessed up.

"Well, I think you all know why you're here," at least that part had been taken care of in the emails I sent out, "but there's some wrinkles I'd like to smooth out.
"First off, if we're going to do this, we have to be a team. That means minimal secrets please. If there's some side effect of your power, or some particular aria of expertise you can contribute to, I would like us all to know. Yeah yeah, we have to be one big, huggable family.
Secondly, Hi, if you didn't know already, I'm Katrina and this is Cody. Please keep out of her way unless you want to either get hit in the face or dissolved into black powder."

I sigh. Maybe I am more tired than I thought. Or maybe the frappe is just starting to wear off. Cody notices my hesitation, and takes the lead, talking in her soft voice.

"The emails that Kat and I sent out should have given you the information that we know; a team of hackers took control of our website Powered and stole some vital information. We do not know why they stole this information, but it is probably to sell to the highest bidder on the black or grey market. Before the hackers are able to sell off the information, we need to both find them and steal back our data."

"What about the hackers?" interrupted the black girl. "They have probably already looked at the information. It's not like we can... remove that from their minds."

I take up the story again. "I know a guy who has been studying... um, a lot of things actually. But one of the things is brains, especially how they store memory. He might be able to help us with the whole mind thing." I steal a glance at Dementian, who had revealed his name to be Rodney. He didn't have very much information on Powered about his power, but I'm pretty sure there was something to do with telekinesis. If the guy I know can't erase memories, maybe Rodney can.
"Plus, this guy I know can probably fund our little adventure. He's quite rich."

"Who is this guy you know?" Rodney asks. I shift nervously.

"Look," I say, "you guys are not going to like this... so I'll tell you now because you might not want to meet up with Cody and me in the morning. The guy I know... he's more commonly known as Vis."

Murmurs stampeded around the table. Everyone knew of once billionaire Vistor Hall, who supposedly went bonkers. Okay, he actually did go a little bonkers, thanks to my dad and a supervillian called Electro.

One night, someone had broken into Vis's mansion and tried to make off with some of the inventions. Vis, however, knew my dad and had his phone number because billionaires always need superheroes around to protect their stuff, right? My dad did apprehend the thief, Electro, who started zapping everything in sight with his weird electric power. Long story short, somehow a bolt of electricity went through a machine and into Vis's head, making him insane.

Of course, the version that television spit out was that Vis had gone all supervillian after making a machine that could give him powers (which is totally fake. Everyone knows superheroes have to be born with their powers)

So, all in all, the other kids thought we were going to go meet a crazed billionaire gone supervillian. I meet Codys eyes and ask a silent question. should I tell them? Cody shakes her head. Let them think it over. If they don't want to trust you, they will show it now. I shrug and smile at the other kids, who are probably still wondering why I seem insane.

"So, that's it for tonight. Cody and I'll meet you here tomorrow at 10 in the morning if you still want an adventure."

524 Reviews

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:33 am
felistia says...

Ziera
As I watched the other kids leave one by one, I thought about the information I had gathered.

'So we are going after a bunch of hackers with only six emotionally unstable kids and the help of a slightly looney man. I can see this going bad really quick. Well I guess I am going to have to help them, they're going to need it.'

I got up to go, the coffee shop was practically empty except for an old man sitting in the corner staring into his mug of strong black coffee. Did I mention that I hate coffee. It tastes disgusting and when I drink it, it makes me feel like a energetic squirrel having a fit.
I glance up at the clock on the hickory brown wall, 4am I best be getting home, before Mum wakes up. If she'd known that I was out all night she would kill me, figuratively speaking of course.

I hurried out of the door, the bell tinkling sweetly on my departure. The cold winds of autumn tugged at my amber jacket as I ran home.

31 Reviews

Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:14 am
FallWolf says...

-Kat
Almost out of the door, I felt someone tug on my jacket. Turning around, I see Rodney standing there, fiddling again with his eye patch.

"Look," he says, "Can... can I maybe crash at your house? I'm from out of town and I didn't really think past getting to this meeting."

I study him critically for the second time this night. My energy was quickly draining, and my excited mood was draining with it. I should've thought of this though. I knew that Rodney was out of town, but I never really realized it till now. I look around at the dark streets of Opezz. It was cloudy, and the sun wouldn't be up for a couple hours still. I shrug. I wouldn't let anyone stay out here with nowhere set up, but I couldn't exactly just let a boy, a complete stranger, into my house. Desperate, I look back into the coffeehouse as if it could give me an answer to this dilemma.

Cody was still at the table, pulling on her jacket. She was watching me standing there in the door, and I shoot her a desperate look. She looks at Rodney, and back at me, and drifts over.

"Hey Kat." she says out loud, but her eyes say something different. She tilts her head at Rodney. is he bothering you? she asks silently. I shake my head vehemently at her. No no, that's not what I meant at all!

"Oh, okay. That's fine, I'll find somewhere else." Rodney tries to push past me, and I suddenly realize that he thought the head shake had been for him.

"No wait!" I grabbed his arm, "If my dad comes home and I've brought a stranger over, he'll flip. However..." I smile at Cody, and she finally catches on. She smiles back and says,

"We haven't had a sleepover for a while."

"Great! All settled!" I beam as I walk out into the night, Rodney in tow.

"Wait, what?" He says, confused.

"Come on," I tell him, "my house is just around the corner."

Cody bumps in beside me, and we walk in step up the old road to my even older apartment house.

My dad and I have a room on the top floor, which is annoying, because the apartment house doesn't have any elevators. I thump up the carpeted steps, Cody and Rodney lining out behind me on the narrow stairway. We follow the dusty, faded blue carpet all the way to my old door. There's a spot of blue paint on the bottom from when I was young and tried to paint the hallway. My dad had made me paint it back to the boring cream when he noticed.

Through the door is a small laundry room slash boot room, old and dusty like the rest of the building, and we trumped into the largest room in my apartment. It was living room slash kitchen, separated only by a large island with a sink set in it. I motioned to the brown fabric couch.

"Rodney, you can sleep here. Um, I'll grab you some blankets and pillows." I thumped around to the laundry room and grabbed some bedclothes from the laundry closet. Cody followed, grabbing a pillow. After we deposited them at the foot of the couch, I folded my arms and glared at Rodney.

"Okay, one rule. Do not come into my room. There's some chicken in the fridge... I hope... that you can eat if you're hungry, and the tap water is safe to drink."

He nodded, looking so serious that I had to laugh.

"Come on, this is my house, not a prison! Bathroom's down the hall, first door to your right. The other door is my dads room, and please don't go in there."

He nodded, and then frowned. "Where do you sleep?"

I grin. I love to see peoples faces when I do this. Walking over to the side of the living room, near the wood coffee table, and grab at a rope hanging innocently from the ceiling. The same color as the wall, it was nearly invisible in the yellow glow that comes from the ceiling light.

"Behold," I announce with a flourish, pulling the cord. A trap door falls open, a rope ladder snaking down after it. Rodney's eyes widen. Cody smiles, shaking her head at my theatrics.

"So, yeah. Don't come into my room." I say, scrambling up the ladder, somewhat gracefully. I think. Cody follows me, and I click on my lamp. It sends out a golden glow, much brighter than the old bulb downstairs. Or should I say down-ladder? When Code is fully into my room, I haul up the rope and pull the trapdoor shut.

"What if," Cody chuckles, "one day someone did not ask you where your room was?"

"I would be devastated!" I moan dramatically, falling onto my small bed. The bed was small not because I had a cramped room, but because I needed space for other things.

A X-box and Kinect were set up under my small tv, which hung like a big black Christmas decoration on the wall. A light blue chest of drawers is pushed into the corner, overflowing with craft things, little do-dads and a big mirror on top. Another light blue fixture, this one a writing desk, also overflowed. That pretty much sums up my room, actually. Overflowing. With Dad gone most of the time, I stayed home a lot before I got my drivers license, and accumulated a lot of hobbies, which then accumulated my room. I sigh, turning to Cody.

"So do you just want to go to bed?"

She nods. "I am drained. I don't know how you stay up this late and keep acting cheerful."

I throw her a pillow. "Well I would think you would have more energy, staying so serious all day."

She silently makes up her bed on a mattress I keep for sleepovers. Immediately I feel awful.

"Sorry." I mumble. She shrugs, back to me.

"That's fine."

Now I feel even more awful. I turn towards the wall, and the back of my head takes the full brunt of a UFP. That is, Unidentified Flying Pillow. Yelling cheerfully, I slam a pillow back at Code, barreling her over. She laughs and crouches, ready to chuck the pillow back at me. I hide behind my covers, laughing.

"Shoot." Cody mumbles. I peek back at her, expecting a full face feather projectile. But Cody was just sitting there, looking at the black dust scattered across her blankets. I just throw her another pillow.

"Don't worry about it. I have lots extra." I click off the light. "Goodnight."

524 Reviews

Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:21 am
felistia says...

Ziera
The night was cold as I raced through the empty streets. Not one friendly light could be seen from the dark houses and the pale silver moon was the only source of light for my weak human eyes. I longed to change into an owl and soar through the silent night, but I couldn't risk being seen by any prying eyes peering from the black shadows.

Suddenly I got the feeling that I was being watch, an eerie tingling ripples down my spine and I slowed to a walk. I scanned the streets looking for whoever that was watching me. I stopped at an alley and peer into the murky blackness of the backstreet.

Nothing, just two large garbage bins propped against the left wall. I was about to walk away when a sudden wind streams down the alleyway, tossing up pieces of rubbish like snowflakes in a blizzard and on this sudden breeze comes a strong, acidic smell. The type you find on a man that has been work for a long time on a construction site. I stiffened, my ears listening for the smallest sound. There was someone in that street and something told me that he was not a nice person.

“Who’s there,” I barked, glaring down the alley way. I wanted the guy down there to know that I was not afraid of him and that I knew he was there.
As I watched a man stepped out from behind the bins. He was not very tall or strong looking, more on the clumsy side really. He was wearing a grubby white T-shirt covered in dark red stains; blood. He had nothing in his big hands and was looking at me like a hunger crocodile would. He gave me a wicked smile and advanced towards me, his fists raised.
I was going to have to use my powers to get out of this one. Picturing the animal in my head, the long tail, the powerful legs, sleek obsidian fur and the glowing yellow eyes. Tingling, my body morphed into that of a pitch black panther. I was surprised to see that the man showed no sign of surprise and carried on striding towards me. I let out a low, warning growl, hoping to scare him off. When he didn’t respond fear clinched my heart with its icy fingers. This was not a normal man, who was he and why was he not surprised by my powers.
The man had stopped walking and had now picked up the pace, fists raised and a menacing grin on his ugly face. A few yards from me he leapt towards me, hands ready to pound me into the ground. I sprang away at the last second, his knuckles lightly brushing my tail. I landing nimble on my feet a few meters from him.
Without warning a strange tiredness came over me like a bank of fog settling on a pond. I tried to shake it off, but it was only getting worse. Everything was starting to spin, colours fading into others and all the time getting darker.

‘That’s why he wasn’t surprised by me transformation!’ I thought urgently, ‘His a super too and his touch sends you to sleep.’

I desperately fought to stay awake, but the sleep was pushing its way in and consciousness was fading. I could see the other super moving slowly towards me. I could just make out his evil green eyes through the black in my vision.
Suddenly a sharp squeak filled the night air and a shape passed over the moons white face. It was a bat. All the heavy sleep melted away and my sight cleared. Everything was pin prick sharp and every nerve on my body tingled from the fur on my tail to the needle like whiskers on my nose. I snarled viciously at the man who was looking quite satisfyingly surprised. Hissing, I bounded out into the night, I couldn’t fight him. I would have to tell Kate in the morning.

31 Reviews

Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:30 pm
View Likes
FallWolf says...

-Cody

My eyes snap open and I roll over to look at the clock. 8:23. I know Kat won't be up for a couple more minutes; she's not really a morning person, especially after a night like last night. Rodney was probably still asleep downstairs as well. Rolling over, I open the trap-door a crack, letting morning sunlight stream into Kat's room. The living room below is filled with dusty golden light flowing through the curtains, but Rodney still lies fast asleep in a mound of blankets.

Slowly I lower the rope ladder, making sure it doesn't thump against the carpet, and descend. I pad out of the carpeted living room into the kitchen and open the fridge, the cold waking me up a little more. I pulled out what Kat usually fixes for breakfast: some lettuce, smoked ham, cherry tomatoes, celery, and orange pepper. Turning on the tap, I wash all of the produce and put it on the cutting board, then search for a knife. I push past a clutter of canning supplies from Kat's latest obsession, canning, and find the knife board holding its three sharp knives. I grab the vegetable knife and start chopping the lettuce, its green leaves crunching crisply against the edge of the blade and fanning out as it lands in a bowl. Then I cut up the celery and red pepper, dice the tomatoes, and cut the ham up last.

Before adding the bright colored veggies to the salad, I idly push them around the cutting board, arranging them into a red-pepper and tomato sunset over a celery sea with a ham boat drifting serenely across. I obliterate the scene, scooping everything into the bowl of lettuce. But the sunset reminded me of a song, that then stuck in my head like a burr. I glanced at Rodney. Still sleeping soundly.

I step off the cold tiles of the kitchen and around the island, my cold feet sinking into the lush pile of the carpet, and before anyone starts waking up, I dance.

I don't dance around people. For some reason dancing is the ultimate trigger for my power, so dancing around people would be disastrous. If I touched them, they would turn into black fleck and drift away on the breeze, but before that they would feel so much pain...

So I don't dance around people.

Black flecks of onyx drift around me as the dust in the room transforms in my hands. They swirl around me as I go through my pattern, slowly and surely, like a river flowing to the sea. Or a sunset, the sun painting a sky of colors before dipping below the earth to sleep. I flow across the room, for once beautiful and colorful instead of reserved and dangerous. But then I hear Rodney stir, and I stop dancing, the onyx dust drifting away, dispersing into the world.

Kat jumps down from her room, black hair wild. She grins at me, then notices the bowl of salad on the counter. Her eyes light up. "Oh goody, you already made breakfast! And, and, and," she runs to a cupboard and pulls out a can of yellow chunks, "I have peaches still!"

I smile. "Like anyone wants to eat your peaches." She frowns at me playfully.

"Hey, they're not that bad. And who said to add less sugar?"

"You."

"Oh," she blinks fog from her eyes, "that's right. Oh well, they're still good."

All the ruckus has woken up Rodney, and he gets up, still fully clothed from last night. With a start I realize I forgot to change into pajamas too, though somehow Kat fit that important detail in. I shook my head a minuscule and grabbed three forks from the drawer. Kat got the bowls and dished salad out while Rodney rubbed the sleep from his eyes. He stares groggily at Kat, who seems to be full of energy again after the short nights' sleep. She smiles at him and offers him a bowl of salad, already crunching on her own.

"There's peaches too, but they're a bit sower." she said when her mouth was free. Rodney accepted the bowl and stirred the salad around.

"No croutons?" he asked.

"No, I'm gluten intolerant." Kat answers, shrugging. "And we better hurry to make our meeting with the other supers, so eat up!"

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:08 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

Rodney Glasswell

A small noise registers in my mind, and I bolt upright, eyes shocking open. Hazy, light-colored blurs are all I can see until I blink my eye. Two girls are looking at me from the table, where food is being prepared. When did I - who are they?

The events of the night before rush back into my skull, and a new feeling of embarrassment sets in. I bury my face in my hands, as if to wipe the heat from my cheeks. Eventually, I kick the covers off and stand up, joining them at the table. “Good morning,” I mumble.

They don’t respond, and I realize that I said it much too quietly to be heard. Yawning a bit, I pull out a chair and sit down. Kat grins at me and offers a bowl of salad. I accept graciously, stirring the bright vegetables around to wake myself up. Stabbing my fork into a pepper, I plop it into my mouth and chomp down, letting the succulent juices invigorate me further.

I swallow, grinning. “It’s delicious. Thank you.”

Kat returns the smile. “Don’t mention it. It’s the least we can do for a teammate.”

A few more waves of embarrassment wash through me. What kind of idiot was I, thinking that I could just walk into that diner and solve everything? I even had to impose on a girl for lodging...she probably hates me right now.

“So, Rodney,” Kat asks through mouthfuls of salad, “what’s your superhero life like?”

“My...what?” I stare at her blankly, cursing my slow-wittedness.

“Do you do anything with your powers? Fight crime, save the world, get the girl? All of the above?” Kat looks at me expectantly.

I wave my hands quickly. “No, nothing of the sort,” I explain, “since I can’t really use my power all that well.” I scratch the back of my head, feeling the strap of my eyepatch. “Kind of stupid of me to come then, right?”

Kat plops a tomato into her mouth and shakes her head. “Not true,” she says, swallowing. “You showed up, and that’s more than enough.”

I smile slightly. “Thanks.”

“Want a drink?” Cody asks us as she opens the fridge.

“Sure,” I say, then, “anything’s fine.” I already felt like I was taking too much of their food.

Cody pulls out a jug of orange juice, grabbing a small glass from the cabinet. Pouring liquid into it, she sets it down on the table and slides it toward me before I can warn her.

My mind flies into a panic as the drink slides down the table, leaving a slick trail as it moves towards me. I can’t tell how far away it is; it’s too hard to judge with one eye! Desperately, I reach my hand out, praying for my depth perception to hold.

My fingers close around empty air as the glass whips past. Kat and I watch as it slides away and flies off the edge of the table.

I jerk out of my seat in a clumsy attempt to catch it, jostling my patch out of position. With both of my eyes, I can see the glass of orange juice tilting in midair, the bright liquid spilling out.

The words jump to my lips before I can stop myself. “Third Gate, open!”

Clarity floods my sight, as if a contact lense had been put in my right eye. In that moment, I can see every part, every piece, every molecule of the orange blood as it spills into the air. My mind curls around every fragment, coaxing it back into the glass, willed by the crimson light that beams from my eye. Not a drop is neglected as I distort the bonds of space, unleashing the glory of telekinesis.

My name is Rodney Glasswell, and I am a genius.

I dare not blink my eye as I push the liquid back into the cup, then lift it and set it back upon the table; this is all without lifting a finger. The girls stare at me, dumbfounded by my overwhelming power. A single, glorious ruby gleams proudly in my eye socket, no longer bound by my patch. This is the Quantum Eye, the greatest power of science ever known!

The intoxicating feeling floods me with energy, and I laugh, laughing in the faces of all the fools who ever once doubted my genius. The insatiable crimson pride wells up in my chest, bursting harshly from my lungs.

Then I blink, and the light fades. The high of telekinesis recedes into the air, and all I am left with is hollow shame and fear.

Kat opens her mouth. “Did you just-”

I jolt from my chair, bumping the table as I stand. The glass pops up and lands on its side, the orange juice flowing out. I give it a withering look as it drips off the side of the table.

Cody and Kat are still staring at me, at my crimson eye. They’re staring at a monster.

“I’ll go on ahead.” The words force themselves out, pushed by a leaden tongue. I avoid the girls’ gazes as I fix my eyepatch and send half of my world into darkness once more.

Not waiting for a reply, I run to the door as if in a dream. Yanking it open, the world blurs into weeping hues as I dash down the stairs, whipping out of the building.

The sun hangs in the sky, a golden, beaming eye, and the clouds loom over like guillotine blades. My feet pound against the hard sidewalk, running from my own shadow. I’m an idiot. An idiot who doesn’t know when to just let things go.

Rounding the corner, I burst into the coffee shop, the bronze chimes clashing wildly. Not caring who’s there, or who’s to come, I sit in the corner, and wait for the world to pass me by.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:41 pm
fukase says...

Snow ~ A Matter of Trust

I have made it a rule of my life to trust a man long after other people gave him up, but I don't see how I can ever trust any human being again.

—Ulysses S. Grant

I don't really have the notion of trusting people.

"Our plan's a success."

"Are you sure? The boy has mind-reading power. He just could break everything up."

"Arthur's doing fine. He already had enchanted me." I put my coffee down. "It was a waste not to record your pitiful face when running away from a small boy. What about you? Are you able to know exactly how the "animal-changing" power the girl have and do you caught her?"

"Aye. That's a problem. She transformed too quick." I cast a smirk on my face. "And what's that? You're laughing me?"

"No. Just happy. Your power is useless, if you don't really able to touch anybody. You would die coldly before you could touch me." I continue, "She noticed your power?"

"Aye... That's, too, a problem."

"Foolish!" A heat of anger bursts in me. "You..." I sigh. "Anyway, do you able to do the rest?"

"Two boys and a girl, they are silently in their cage now."

"Good. Now, please, I need to prepare for tomorrow." I end the call and finish my coffee.

I open the closed, railed, locked window in my kitchen and wash the cup. The remnant of the coffee still can be smelled. "How much time did I drink coffee today..." I headed back to my room to take towel, and bath. "Did I do the right thing? Humanity, forgive me..."

A matter of perception. If I make a fool of myself, who cares? I'm not frightened by anyone's perception but me. Well, I can't trust my ways of thinking what to perceive. How could a trust people's perception? The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. This is my step. No can do to stop it.

I get out of the bathtub and pick out my white shirt and my black blazer and a black tight jean. I put a white scarf around my neck. I know it isn't winter yet, but I am cold inside. Things are not quite not so simple always as black and white... What I wear today will symbolize my actions today.

The sun showers the earth with quite a melancholic way today. I've never seen something as today before. When the sun is shining I can do anything; no mountain is too high, no trouble too difficult to overcome. All the shadows are gray today. Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us. Or it is just my eyes. I need to do this quickly...or I'll lose my sights. That is a requirement of Arthur's banned enchantment. It is to block my mind from being devour by him. Why one's power is so troubling me. I know this as a bad omen for me.

To find extraordinary things, go to the ordinary street. I walk through the street with a glint of frosty, little tears on my eyes. I can't keep this up, the dusts are just gonna eat me. I either make dust or eat dust. What else would I do now.

The silver, but rusted steel streetlights accompany me even with or without their lights. I just want to believe help is near. I can't stand to hear the strings of a piano that flows through the songs I listen nowadays. The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth; that's what I feel now. Life troubles me. Every breaths sing a faint song, but nobody could really listen to its true meaning whether is it a song of a happy melody or requiem.

"...If you want still want an adventure..." Kat's words come to mind. I don't know why, but these words are just like a bother to my memory on how true it is...

I'm arrived in front of the coffee shop.

No one,
but the shop's owner and Hue and Rodney...sitting on their seat yesterday.

It already is 10 a.m now though.
Last edited by fukase on Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love Koku.
He is damn cute and should be the main character
and not some lazy old man that supposedly genius but a sucker in his own life.
Koku is Koku.
Koku is CUTE.
~ B-The Beginning (A Netflix Anime.)

31 Reviews

Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:09 pm
View Likes
FallWolf says...

-Kat

I should have warned Cody about the glass. I mean, I've read about how your sight goes wonky if you only have one eye. However... I now knew something important about Rodney. At first I thought he was just self-conscious about the eye-patch, but now I know that it's deeper than that.

Only one time has Code ever let herself loose control. When she uses her power just normal, her eyes sort of smolder orange, like coals. But when she used it that day in the alley... her eyes changed to an emerald green, and somehow she changed as well. She stopped being Cody and started being someone else, her power almost.

Rodney does the same thing- just not with the eye changey thing. I've noticed that it happens with some supers, but not all of them. Maybe something physiological makes them do that; lose themselves and let the power take over. Maybe it's just them.

The bells clank cheerily as Cody and I walk into the cafe, me still stewing over my thoughts. Summer seems to have waved a last goodbye, and I can see fall in the people passing by, all decked out in red and gold and orange, each looking like their own personal autumn. Even the kids at our table are wearing somewhat warmer clothes instead of the normal shirt and jeans. Yuki has a white scarf on, Hue is wearing a light jacket, Rodney is wearing the same thing of course, and Ziera has on a rusty brown bolero.

All of our little gang look up as Cody and I walk in. I grin; they're probably still wondering about our trip to Vis's place. Well, can't keep them waiting forever. I sit down and sling my backpack over the back of the chair, eager to tell them all about the trip, but something in Ziera's look stops me.

"It seems we have an enemy." she says, placing her hands on the table. "Last night I was attacked."

"Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein