z

Young Writers Society

Pierpoint Academy for Agents in Training

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:15 am
Chaser says...

Copperhead

Over the days before the mutiny, I visited Olivia as often as I could. I brought her school assignments, as well as the occasional snack, staying to chat if time permitted. Nurse Moe would take notice of my frequenting the infirmary, and hug me. I’m not sure if the two events are correlated; he just hugs people a lot.

I don’t know why Olivia and I talked. All she ever asked about was Grady.

But not today, it seemed. I walked into the infirmary with a crepe and flowers for her bedside.

“Hug attack!”

Now, I consider myself one of the courageous few at Pierpoint. But the thought of a hug attack from Nurse Moe was enough to make mountain lions tremble. As well as regular lions. And mountains.

With no time to dodge, I braced myself.

Something soft squished against my face, something...comforting in warmth. I looked up and realized what it was.

“Olivia!” I scrambled backwards, turning red.

The Shark flipped her golden hair over her shoulder, smirking. “What’s up, Nick?”

I shook my head, banishing the heat from my cheeks. “N-nothing...you just caught me off-guard.” My gaze slowly fell from Olivia’s eyes to her chest, which had been pressed against my face a few moments ago. At least this time, she’s fully clothed, I thought while tugging at my collar.

“Hey.” Olivia put her hands on her hips, leaning forward. “You alright in there?”

Crimson blood rushed to my cheeks as I nodded.

“Rather,” I said, clearing my throat, “you’re able to walk now?” A grey medical boot was strapped over her broken leg.

“Yep!” Olivia twirled on her good foot, grinning. “Nurse Moe says I’ll make a full recovery. Just a few more days with this thing, and I’ll be ready to go!”

I smiled before realizing that I wasn’t supposed to be able to.

“But enough about me.” Olivia walked forward awkwardly, grabbing my hand. “There’s something I wanna show you. Come on!” She limped quickly out of the infirmary, dragging me with her.

Not three feet out the door, she tripped over her boot and fell flat on her face. “Uwaah…” she moaned.

I crouched beside her, prodding her shoulder. “Perhaps you could direct me, and I could go myself?”

She uprooted her head from the floor, eyes lighting up. “Or…”

-------------------

“...Ah…”

“Ufufu...getting a little hot, Nick?” Olivia played with a lock of my ebony hair, stroking my head.

“S-sorry...I’ve never done this before.”

“Just relax, and let me show you the way.” Olivia’s body pressed against mine, making my heart race with excitement.

“Ah...I’m gonna…!”

I collapsed into the Academy workshop, crashing onto the floor. “Die,” I finished weakly.

“Meanie.” Olivia stuck her tongue out and leaped off of my back. “Girls are sensitive about their weight, you know.”

“My muscles are just as sensitive because of yours.” I stood up, rubbing the base of my spine. “Was it really necessary to give you a piggyback ride down here?”

“You’re just weak.” Olivia crossed her arms and huffed. “You’re not going to get a girlfriend like that, Nick.”

“Madame Haley, I believe in my own inner beauty, like a gem waiting to be discovered.”

She grinned, averting her gaze cheekily. “You don’t have that, either.”

I whistled, recoiling a bit. “Touche, my friend.” Placing my hands on my hips, I looked around the workshop. It was a bit of a mess, with sawdust and steel scraps strewn over machinery and ashen furnaces. This part of Pierpoint was mostly used for wood and metalworking, for those who enjoyed crafting swords of malice and chairs of villainy. Understandably, it was a bit less popular than most other areas of the school. Today, it was deserted.

I turned back to find Olivia staring at me, smirking. “What?” I asked.

“Just now. You called me your friend, didn’t you?” Olivia leaned forward, rubbing her chin.

I immediately realized my mistake. “It’s just a figure of speech,” I backpedaled, waving my hands and clearing my throat. “A mockery, even. You should be insulted. Can’t you even understand that, you moron?” I suddenly noticed how untended the machinery was, and began to clean it absentmindedly.

Olivia shrugged lightly. “I guess it was too much to hope for. Anyway, wait here.” She patted my shoulder and disappeared into the shop’s project room. I kept my head down and scrubbed the drills.

“Stupid, stupid, stupid,” I murmured to myself. The word had slipped out, without a thought. It was unthinkable that I, Copperhead, could have made such a mistake. But what would that mean if it wasn’t?

A clang of metal and a hushed yelp of pain sounded from the back of the workshop. I raised an eyebrow before shaking my head and returning to my work.

No, friends and family were concepts beyond me. I had decided that long ago, when I’d listened to that useless label echo from my psychiatrist’s mouth. Psychopath. I’d decided it when I’d tapped that cursor icon and let the bombs drop. Psychopath. I’d decided it when I’d looked upon the scorched earth and smiled. Psychopath. I’d decided it when I showed my handiwork to my mother, raising the warm metal tablet to her horrified face. When she called me a monster, with those disgusted eyes that seemed will my soul to rot. Psycho-

Something crashed over my head, jarring me momentarily. Strong arms wrapped around me from behind, restricting my movement. Panic ricocheted through my body as the strange device was adjusted further onto my skull.

I struggled and lashed out backwards, but my muscles were too weary from carrying Olivia. Olivia. If they were here for me, they’d take her too... assuming they hadn’t already.

But the thoughts were futile, and I finally fell still in my assailant’s arms. Olivia. After all this, such a simple thing would be the end of Copperhead Hewitt. So be it. I closed my eyes and waited for the darkness swallow me whole.

“And...done.”

A hand held up a mirror in front of me, while another lifted my chin up to gaze into it. “Ta-da!”

Olivia grinned as I gazed into the mirror at a strange thing indeed. A bronze helmet adorned my head, with small, sharply contoured horns sticking out of the top. A triangular plate came down just above the eyes, giving the whole helmet a sharp and menacing look, and the cheek plates tapered into points that angled down like fangs.

My eyes widened with realization. The entire helm was a bronze snake head. No, not merely bronze, but a-

“Copperhead!” Olivia hugged me from behind. “Happy birthday!”

“B-birthday?” I tugged the helmet over my eyes. “That’s ridiculous. It’s not my birthday.”

“I know,” Olivia purred. “But I still want to give this to you.” She tilted the helmet up to give me a full view. “So, what do you think?”

I hid my face with my hand. “What do I think? A person with your breast size really should be more careful about how they hug people.”

She quickly pulled out of the embrace, a bit embarrassed. Dispelling the heat from my blood, I walked forward and turned to face her. Pulling the helmet off, I shook out my black hair, which had been sufficiently ruffled during the frenzy. Holding the copper head in one hand, I regarded it discerningly. “Did you make this yourself?”

She saluted, grinning. “Aye, sir!”

“I thought so,” I said, turning the strange helm in the light. “It has all the markings of an amateur.”

Her lower lip began to tremble. I realized with a start that I’d saddened her with my remark.

“O-of course, that’s not to say it’s bad,” I put in hurriedly. I regarded the helmet again, pushing appreciation to the surface. “Rather, it’s quite a fine piece. Very...original.

“And, er...it’s appreciated.” I looked at the floor again. “This is the first birthday present I’ve ever received. So, as one who could feel would say,” I mumbled, glancing up at her, “thank you.”

“Aw, you’re sweet.” Olivia walked forward, towering over me. I realized just how short I was compared to her. “But there’s one more present for me to give to you.” Leaning down, she planted a kiss on my cheek.

I stared at her blankly for a moment. She smiled back, angelic and blissful.

Quickly realizing what had happened, I jammed the helmet over my head, hiding my face. “Wh-wh-wha-wha-what was that for?” I stammered, my cheeks scorching.

Olivia drew back, her expression confident. “I guess that confirms it.”

I looked up at her curiously. “Confirms what?”

Her eyes shone as she returned my gaze. “I’ll definitely be able to get Grady now!”

My blood turned to ice and shattered in my chest. “Ah,” I swallowed dryly.

Olivia twirled around, grinning. “Yes!” she said, pumping her fist, “he’s definitely going to notice me!”

“That’s...wonderful.” The word felt hollow, lurching out of my mouth from a leaden tongue. I searched numbly for something to say. “Indeed, your techniques are at an unprecedented level of seduction. I’ve trained you well,” I added, shading my eyes in what looked like a display of ego.

“Spare me.” Olivia smirked, looking more beautiful by the second. “Ah,” she sighed, “I’ll finally be his lover, after all this time!”

I nodded, not showing her my face. “They say that love would be worthless were it not hard-earned.”

“Isn’t it though?” Olivia laughed, releasing wave upon wave of relief. “Thank you so much, Copperhead!”

Copperhead. I shifted the helmet uncomfortably. That’s right, that was my name. My own personal moniker of terror. “I suppose even psychopaths can be of some use in the way of love,” I joked, my teeth locked in a rigid smile.

“Alright.” Olivia put on a look of adorable confidence. “Starting tomorrow, I’m going after him with all I’ve got!”

A slight dip of my chin served as a sign of consent, of my blessing. “Excellent. I have confidence in your attractiveness.”

“Thanks to you, so do I.” Olivia walked forward and patted me on the head affectionately. Giving me one last smile, she began to stagger out of the workshop.

“Are you sure you don’t need me to carry you?” I called.

“Nope! I gotta stand on my own two feet!”

I stayed silent as she left, her uneven footsteps echoing down the hall. My eyes were fixated on the floor, on the earth that seemed to be shifting beneath my feet. “Yes,” I murmured eventually, “you must stand without me.”

A saccharine voice chuckled around me. “Ouch. Now that must have hurt.” The voice seemed to come from nowhere, reverberating from everywhere. I whipped my head around, searching for the intruder. The lights shut off, leaving me in distorted darkness. The furnaces roared to life, crackling blood-red laughter and casting oblong shadows across the room. The machines seemed to loom ever-so-slightly in my direction, drill bits grinning silver.

“You poor, poor snake. What, did you swallow your own tail?” It came from behind me.

I whirled around, lashing out with my fist. Evangeline caught my hand casually, forcing it back. “Careful now.” Her icy blue eyes seemed to glow in the firelight. “We wouldn’t want you poisoning anyone else, now would we?”

She slammed her fist against my helmet, jarring me as the metal plates smashed against my skull. Her image swam, but her sharp-toothed grin was still crystal clear. “That girl...she’s weak, isn’t she?”

I recoiled slightly, growling. In a straight fistfight, I had no chance.

“Terribly, terribly weak,” Evangeline continued lustfully, her fingers curling strongly as though tightening around Olivia’s neck. She stared at me intently. “I wonder how long she’ll last?”

“Haven’t you read the novels, Lakewood?” I coughed, grinning. “Her love will empower her.”

“If you say so, Nicky.” Evangeline suddenly rushed forward, reaching out as if to snap my neck. Instead, she popped the helmet up, spinning it viciously around my head. I stumbled backwards, grabbing at the horns to stop the motion. Evangeline’s laughter echoed in my ears as I clutched at my copper head in the whirling bronze darkness.

Faintly, a new kind of laughter could be heard. Clear and bell-like. Olivia. Grady’s barking, brutal chortling mixed harshly with the voices, the cacophony seeming to form a sinkhole of noise around me. Slowly, the laughter deteriorated, melting into one long moan that rattled inside my bones.

Facing my snake head the right way, I glared out of the visor. The lights were back on, brightening the grey ash from the burned-out furnaces. The drills and saws were lying about, dull and rusty, and Evangeline Lakewood had disappeared into thin air.

“You’re one to talk, Lakewood,” I muttered, pulling the helmet off and walking back to the Shark bunker.

----------------------------

For such a pale man, Brandon Hayes had a surprising amount of blood inside him. It bubbled out through his throat, lacquering the table a dark scarlet. I thought briefly of wiping it away before deciding that Evangeline would approve of such macabre decor.

Since Will had taken Grady, and Evangeline was asserting her dominance, it fell to me to deal with the corpses. Luckily, the death count was low; I suspected that most Sharks had been expecting this outcome. The few loyal fools that charged Evangeline were dealt with by her personally. They made hideous cadavers.

I’d just finished loading them into body bags when William Black strolled back into the Alcove, flanked by two other Sharks. The two Sharks, I realized, who had helped Grady up after Will had defeated him in sparring class. As for Grady himself, it was all too easy to guess what had happened.

“Well, I’ve finished cleaning up your mess,” I said to Evangeline, who was balancing three knives on her fingertips. “May I be excused? I’m a busy man, you understand.”

She raised an eyebrow. “By busy, do you mean schoolwork, or terrorism?”

I winked uncharacteristically. “A little bit of both, Miss Lakewood.”

I walked out of the room and ascended the ladder, taking care not to get shot. It was a shame that Will had taken Grady. And judging by the video feed I received, it was a shame that Grady hadn’t died right with his brother.

I slid the pillar panel open to find Olivia’s face inches from mine.

Of course, she didn’t react much, merely smiling and offering a greeting. I returned it, just as cheerfully.

“Aren’t you a little vulnerable to be up and about so soon?” I asked, looking at the cast still on her leg.

“I just couldn’t wait to see him,” she gushed, looking past me. “Is he down there?”

I scratched the back of my head, unimpeded by the helmet. I’d left the accursed headpiece in my bed. “I’m afraid he left a while ago. I think he was headed for the woods.”

Her response was immediate, and expected. “Well, let’s go find him, then!”

I nodded, and we set off on our journey to find a man who was probably already dead.

-----------------------------------

Olivia trekked cheerfully through the woods, catching her boot on more than a few roots and stumps along the way. Each time she stumbled, she’d lean on me for support. She burned me at the touch.

The forest was littered with clawed, skeletal branches, but every now and then, a berry bush or some grass would pop up between the tree trunks. Even in a cluttered place like this, life could thrive.

I stepped away from Olivia for a moment, bending over to pick up a flower from the earth. Gently, I brushed my fingertips against its soft blue petals, marveling at its beauty. I plucked one neatly away, tossing the silky scrap to the earth. “Loves me…”

“Whatcha got there, Cop?” Olivia began to peek over my shoulder.

I quickly stashed the flower in my pocket. “Nothing,” I said, falling into step with her once again.

She giggled. “So, what do you think I should say to him? ‘Hello, Grady!’ Or maybe he’d like ‘Hey, Boss’! Or should I go for elegance, like ‘Greetings, my love’? What do you think, Copperhead?”

I responded dryly, “Maybe you should say, ‘Hey Grady, let’s XXX so we can XXX and you can XXX my XXX!’” I continued demonstrating this obscene suggestion with hand motions until Olivia turned beet-red and shut my mouth.

“Let’s...wait a little before doing things like that.” A shy blush tinged her cheeks. It seemed she still had a sense of shame.

“So be it.” I shrugged. I checked the footage on my tablet again. The emerald woods had a trick to them, the shaded earth navigable with practice. We were nearing the spot where Will had- oh, yes, that looked like a familiar sight.

A boy lay face-down in the sepia dirt beside a tree. The cameras I planted had been quite accurate; both images showed a well-built boy with thick brown hair, now unmoving.

Olivia’s scream reverberated through the forest, setting the leaves aflutter. I stooped calmly and poked the corpse in front of me. Twenty bullet holes pockmarked his clothes, most of them in the legs. The Ghost had tormented his prey before striking the killing blow.

He hadn’t been here for long. His blood was still a rich red, residue oozing from the holes in his body. I examined them coldly. “They entered from the back,” I realized. “He died trying to run away.”

“No! No! No!” Olivia screamed, yelling her throat raw. I looked up at her as she trembled, her slender fingers rifling through her golden hair.

She collapsed into the soil, burying her face in her hands. Grief poured out of her body, dimming the light of the forest. The leaves fell around her in a flurry, the high-boughed oaks weeping emerald.

I knelt there beside Grady’s body for a moment. Funny, how it used to be a living, breathing person. Now, he was extinguished like a candle, a waxen shell of a spirit set free. I brushed my fingers over his hand; death had already snatched the heat from his body.

“Grady,” Olivia sobbed, “why did they do this?” She spasmed violently, silver tears flying from her cheeks. She stared ahead as her eyes began to glaze over. “Grady…”

“Olivia,” I said, walking over. “Olivia, can you hear me?” She didn’t respond, kneeling lifelessly in front of me.

“Olivia,” I repeated, a bit more forcefully. Despite what most believed, it was possible to die of a broken heart, given extreme stress. A tic of annoyance registered in my mind that Grady would be the one to trigger it.

“Olivia. Olivia, you have to get up.” I snapped my fingers in her face, to no avail. This was bad. If she didn’t stand up now, she might never stand up again.

My fingers began to sweat. She needed a stimulus, something that would invoke a reaction. She needed to be reminded to live. I dove into my pockets, fishing for something, anything to ensure her survival.

“Look!” I cried, pulling the azure blossom from my jacket. “Olivia, you need to wake up. Yes, there’s sadness in death. But there’s beauty in life.” I held the flower in front of her eyes, a hopeful beacon of white and blue.

For a moment, nothing happened. Nothing moved, not she, nor I, nor time itself. Then, she blinked, eyes focusing. “What’s...that?” she asked.

Death’s cloak seemed to fall over me as well, more so than the corpse that lay at the base of the tree. My bones froze as I realized what I had pulled from my pocket along with the blossom. There, entangled in the blue petals of the flower, was a white slip of paper in Grady’s handwriting.

Olivia’s hand darted out and plucked the scrap from the flower. Loves me not. I stumbled back as she tore it open, unfolding it. I could see her eyes moving frantically about the page, her fingers clenching it tighter and tighter as the extent of my deceit was made known.

The note that Grady had entrusted to me. The note for Olivia. The note that I had selfishly hidden from them both. Olivia’s eyes devoured the words, her head shaking in disbelief.

“No...you mean...he...Grady.” Olivia slumped, her head hanging as the paper tumbled from her grasp. As it fell, the words upon the infernal page registered in my mind once more, and those horrid, noncommittal, completely pathetic four words bubbled to the surface. I care for you. Grady’s true feelings.

“You!” Olivia surged upwards, hands clenching around my throat. Her face twisted into a mask of fury as she tackled me into the dirt. The heavenly blue tumbled from my grasp as my back hit the earth. “I...I thought you cared about me! And then you did this?!?” she shrieked, jerking my head up before slamming it against the ground again.

I clutched at her fingers, desperately trying to pry them from my neck. I choked, “Olivia-”

“We could’ve been happy! I could have been in his arms right now! But you kept this from me! You kept me with you!” Olivia drew her fist back, and smashed it against my nose. Screaming, she pummeled my body, vicious blows connecting in a furious torment. Blood welled to my lips, choking me further as every part of me was dented and bruised by her hatred.

Eventually, Olivia raised both arms and pounded my chest, sobbing. “Is that all love is to you? Is it just a game?”

The laughter from before seemed to echo softly through my ears, the details blurring out as my mind was serenaded by gentle chaos. And then everything became so terribly, terribly loud.

She loomed over me, angelic hair hanging down, tousled and dirtied by madness. “You never even cared about me, you…you…” She gave me one final, disgusted look, narrowed eyes driving her fury into my heart. “Psychopath,” she spat.

The noise swelled to a fever pitch, and Olivia’s words mixed in with the chorus of dissonant cackling. Psychopath, they chanted. Psychopath. Psychopath.

Gradually, more voices began to swirl around me, hammering against my skull. My doctor’s. My mother’s. Psychopath. Evangeline’s. Brandon’s. Psychopath. Peter’s. William’s. Psychopath.

The sinister whispers picked up the pace as I lay there, trapped beneath Olivia’s body. The tempo spiraled into a wordless tumult of noise. Faintly, I could hear a kind of music, sliding in from the background. A lone violin, resonating through the chaos. The quick cuts of bow across string sliced across my mind as I writhed in the dirt.

Psychopath. The noise was deafening now, clouding my mind. Psychopath. Psychopath. The violin’s music could still be heard, the tones rippling through me. Psychopath. Psychopath. And soon, this too fell into disarray, a flurry of random notes playing havoc upon the air. Psychopath. Psychopath. Psychopath. Psychopath.

AHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Damning silence fell over me, and the voices dropped away, leaving a dull buzzing in my skull. “Huh,” I said, not looking Olivia in the eye. “So, I never even cared. Who knew?”

Grey, hazy memories seemed to fall away like cobwebs. The day we’d met, three years ago in battle class. The day she confessed her feelings (about Grady) to me, sitting around a small table at lunch. The day she made my name mean something. These dusty photographs were set ablaze by one, simple, apparent truth.

I was a psychopath. How could I ever have cared?

Lying in the dirt, I grinned bloodily up at the girl I once thought I loved. “It’s your own fault for trusting me.”

The knife sank into Olivia’s stomach up to the hilt. I pushed the cold steel into her body, relishing the warm red trickles that wetted my hand. Olivia gasped, struggling to keep her balance as my grin widened beneath her.

“Please. I’m the one can’t understand love?” I said, twisting the knife in her chest. My smile hardened into a grimace. “You don’t know what it’s like, not being expected to care. In fact, maybe this is why I chose not to care about people at all.”

I gritted my teeth, plunging deeper. “Because they think they can just treat me however they want. Am I human? Am I less than human? Or am I more?”

I laughed, wrenching the dagger out and stabbing upwards, making wound after horrid wound in Olivia’s body. “I don’t know. All I know right now is that I’m sick and tired of your crap.” I slashed the blade down her slender figure, defiling something once beautiful.

Olivia made a sorry attempt to explain herself, delicious blood dribbling from her lips. “Copperhead-”

I stabbed the knife in again. This time, I didn’t speak. The blade burst through Olivia’s neck, cutting off her words once and for all. The world seemed to hold its breath at that moment: Two killers lay on top of each other, one bruised and beaten, the other bloody and lovesick.

I yanked the knife out, allowing blood to spurt from Olivia’s throat. She swayed for a moment, tearing up from the pain, then, slowly, she began to fall.

She descended above me like a crimson angel. Rivers of red ran from everywhere, tainting her visage in all its shades. I nodded. There was nothing left of Olivia Haley. As of this moment, she was dead.

Olivia laid herself down on my chest, tears and blood staining my body. She pressed her lips against my cheek, leaving a mark of her own blood. “Sorry,” she croaked.

Overwhelming shame gripped me, lacing my blood with agony. Drops of emotion poured out, seeping uselessly into the earth. Shining droplets from her cheeks dripped onto mine, until I could no longer tell whose tears I was crying. I cried in floods of silver and red, even when I didn’t know why I was weeping. I wrapped my arms around Olivia, my friend, crushing her against me.

Eventually, Olivia’s body grew heavy, and her body relaxed for the last time. I lay beneath her until my heart grew numb with pain.

Gently, I pushed her off of me, letting her slide to the ground. Rising to my feet, I swayed as I surveyed the carnage. Blood was splattered over the earth for the trees to lap up hungrily with their roots. Grabbing the hand of the female corpse, I dragged her over to the male.

Propping them up against the tree, I laid their arms around each other in a demented puppet show. They flopped over one another lazily, their skin and clothes ripped and torn to crimson bits. I grinned, pocketing the knife again.

The smile was fake, like every other emotion I thought I once had. I crouched at the base of the trunk, staring at the girl’s face. I’d left it unmarked, since I’d remembered it being quite beautiful. As for the boy, the bullet hole through his cheek was a ghastly sight. But I could not feel hatred for it.

I sat down in front of them, my cadaverous audience. A gentle chuckle worked its way up from my chest. Then another. And another.

It was a low, easy laugh, resonating through the quiet forest. The sickening sound forced its way up from the depths of my soul, my voice thick with emotion, however happy or sad. It was an amiable tone, striking dissonant chords in all the wrong kinds of love.

I gazed at the corpses of Olivia and Grady, the three of us seated in our circle of companionship. “How tragic,” I mused. “This looks to be as close to human as I’ll get.” Then I leaned forward and wrapped them in a hug. They obliged, their spirits finally free of this accursed world, together at last.

“So long, my friends,” I whispered.

--------------------

I lumbered back into school, swaying through the hallways. I never imagined I could make so many girls faint with one look. Well, perhaps this method played to my strengths.

Dark red blood was spattered all over my clothes, most prominently my chest and head. My fingers tapped rhythmically at my leg as I walked, shaking a little as the thick, viscous liquid began to dry.

My head was tilted constantly down, only glancing up to see where I was going. I’d usually meet someone’s stare when I did this. Then they’d notice the crimson rivulets that ran from my eyes down my cheeks. Their subsequent expressions might once have amused me.

I made my way back to the Shark bunker, shooting Nurse Moe a sinister glare as I passed his office. He immediately fainted into the arms of one unfortunate student who was crushed beneath his bulk.

I wrenched the bunker door open, looking inside at the rows of iron beds. Some of the other Sharks were already back, so I assumed that Evangeline had finished her gloating.

Speaking of our glorious leader, she waltzed out of the bathroom at the end of the hall, tossing her cotton-candy-colored hair over her shoulder. She froze when she saw me.

“Copperhead?” Even she looked a little shocked at my gory visage.

I nodded vaguely. “...Yes.”

Grabbing my duffel bag from the bunk, I made to walk past her. No doubt, she noticed the lip mark on my cheek. Her eyes widened, but nothing more.

“I’m taking Brandon’s room,” I muttered to her, brushing by.

She cocked her head before shrugging. “Whatever.” I suppose she was a lot more used to seeing people like me.

People like me. Who was I kidding? There was nobody alive who could comprehend a murderous bastard such as I, and they obviously wouldn’t like me.

I opened the metal door wide, half-expecting a bikini-clad girl to come jumping out at me. Nobody was there. The bunker was kept neat and tidy, with a small bookcase in the corner.

I tossed my bag onto one of the mattresses apathetically. An odd hollowness seemed to embody the room, punctuated with dust that shone silver in the window's light.

Stalking out into the bunker, I fetched my helmet from my old bed. Tucking it under my arm, I walked back into my new room.

Sitting on the edge of a bed, I held the bronze helm out in front of me. It really was amateurish; but it showed potential. It was an excellent start, made with a painstaking amount of care. I was unable to purvey such feelings to its creator.

But I could improve it, this copper head. I could make it anew, and make it worth something more. Perhaps in the process, I could make myself anew as well.

I smiled softly as the sounds of laughter and violins overcame me once again.
Last edited by Chaser on Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:46 am
Europa says...

Evangeline Lakewood

I turned restlessly on my cot, a scowl fixed on my face. I hadn't slept easy in four years, but even for me, this was a rough night.

I hated it when I couldn't sleep.

It gave me time to think.

And usually at night was the time my mind decided to rethink my life.

About all the lives I took.

The last tiny part of my mind that was still compassionate kept reminding me that these people had had families, kids, siblings.

I sighed through my nostrils, rolling over.

"A killer has no regrets." I muttered to myself.

The only pain I was putting others through was the pain I'd suffered myself.

This was my revenge.

I closed my eyes. Sometimes when I pretended to sleep, the actual thing would follow soon after. But not this time.
I could tell I was going to get no sleep tonight.

Ah, well. As long as I was up, I might as well be doing something constructive.

Using my assassin's stealth, I leapt silently from my bunk, and made my way over to where Will was sleeping.

"Will, get up!" I hissed.

He didn't stir.

I huffed in frustration. How could this idiot sleep so soundly?

I grabbed the back of his shirt and began pulling him out of bed.
As I expected, Will jumped awake as soon as he felt me pulling. He abruptly rolled over, windmilling his legs in a scissor kick.
I skillfully sidestepped and his momentum carried him the rest of the way out of bed and down to the concrete floor. Will jumped up and swung a graceful fist. Hidden in the shadows, I caught his strike.
"Waita keep on your toes, Black." I chortled.
A spark of realization lit his smoky grey eyes. I'd often wake him up like this when we were on our mission together.

"Eva?"

I leaned into the light of a window and smirked evilly.
"Morning."

He whipped his fist from my grip, humor and annoyance mixin in his expression.

"You need to stop that! Scared the bloody daylights out of me!"

"Suck it, Black. We're training. Gym. Now."

Will rubbed his eyes with the heels of his hands. "What time is it?" he yawned.
I stopped at the door of the bunker.

"Two in the morning. Come on."

I threw the door open and jogged out into the crisp night.

"I hate it when you get like this." Will muttered, but he followed me to the gym.

"Again!" I snarled. Sweat was dripping from my brow, sliding down my cheeks and splashing silently onto the floor.

Will rubbed the space between his eyes with an index finger.

"How are you not tired?"

That was the problem. I wasn't tired. I couldn't go back to bunker until I was ready to collapse.

I lashed out at Will, clouting him on the side of the head with a fist. I could already see the red imprint of my knuckles where I had hit him. It would leave a nasty bruise.

"I said again!"

Will sighed and resumed a fighting position. I flew at him and he sidestepped. I turned sharply and lunged again, this time anticipating his dodge and pivoting to follow. I lashed out and kicked his bad leg. He crumpled, but he used the momentum to roll back to his feet and began a counter attack.
Will was the only one who knew my weakness. My technique was to hit.
Hit hard. Hit fast.
Hit.

This tactic was usually effective, since my size, speed, and agility made it easy to dodge attacks. But if my opponent is quick enough to catch me and somehow find an opening to attack, my defense was decidedly average.

And average has no place in a school like this.

I was able to block and dodge Will's onslaught for a long period of time before he found an opening in my stance and kicked me hard in the stomach.
I stumbled back, gasping for breath, and Will surged forward. I grabbed his forearms and locked an ankle around his foot.
I swiftly swept his feet out from under him and he feel to the ground. I droppen on top of him, pressing a knee to his stomach and a forearm to his throat.
I grinned, wiping the sewat away from my eyes.

"Forgot how much of an even match you are for me, Black."

Will smirked, his grey eyes twinkling with subtle mirth. "I am honored, oh great Evangeline, that you have graced me such a complement as this." He joked elegantly.

I rolled my eyes, and smirked in return, leaning forward until our faces were only inches apart.
"Shut up before I throttle you." I murmur. The voice that comes from my mouth hardly seemed like mine. It wasn't hard or cold. It was a soft croon, like a turtle dove calling to it's mate.
Will noticed the change too. His smile faltered and a look of surprise replaced it.

"Eva, what--?"

I pushed up, taking care to put a little more pressure on his windpipe as I did so, only enough to shut him up.
I stood, fixing him with my customary cold stare. "Don't get all misty on me, Black!" I snapped, the icy edge returning to my voice. "You go back to the bunker. Get a little rest if you want, just be up in time for me to beat you up in sparring class. And so help me, Will, if I hear one word about this from you, especially in front of the other Sharks, I'll personally saw all your limbs from your body."

Will bowed.
"As you wish, my lady."
He paused to give me a final smirk as he opened the door.
"And you might want to think about getting some sleep yourself. I don't think it would be good form for the great Shark leader to konk out in the middle of a Strategy class."

"Get out of my sight."
It was 5:00 in the morning and I was still pummeling a very unfortunate punching bag. Will's face, his stupid smirk, his steely eyes, were swimming in my minds eye.

I didn't need Nurse Moe in order to diagnose myself as Lovesick, and it set my teeth on edge.
I didn't need love, much less want it. Even more so if the boy was a sarcastic idiot like Black.

In this world, there was no longer such a thing as love, or trust, or mercy.

Copernicus learned that yesterday when he murdered Olivia.

I had learned it throughout my entire life, with a father who was as violent as me, and a mother who was too blinded by love to realize who he really was.

I learned that at fourteen, when my own father murdered my mother, my unborn brother, and then tried to kill me.

And I proved it when I took his life.

This is my revenge.

I am Evangeline Lakewood.

Evangeline the killer.

Evangeline. The feared assassin.

Evangeline. Leader of the Sharks.

I am Evangeline. Strong, cold, cruel.

Evangeline Lakewood. Respected, untouchable, indestructible, and alone.

271 Reviews

Reviews: 271
Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:05 am
Gravity says...

Xander

Cassia went up to the attic every day. Sometimes I joined her and other times I thought she needed to be left alone. But I always kept on eye on the third floor. If I had it my way, nobody would disturb her.

One day when she'd retreated to the attic, I went down to the metal works room which was empty. As it usually was. The one instructor it did have was in his office but I enlisted his help. He looked surprised.

"You're not one of the usuals," he grunted, "What do you need?" There were about 30 kids from the entire 3,000 student school who came down here. Pierpoint was huge, this room was responsible for creating any specialty weapons or armor, anything else was shipped.

I told the instructor, Mr. Hodges what I needed. He seemed surprised, I didn't need to make a weapon. But regardless, he helped me draw out some plans.

We were both silent as we worked, pouring molten metal into molds and letting them cool. He then began to cut thick pieces of leather from the scrap cabinet.

"Sew these together," he said, his beard dancing as he spoke. I kept sticking myself, drawing blood. But it was worth it.

"Come back Thursday, here's what you'll need." Said Hodges, handing me a list. "It will be ready once it cools for a few days."

I'd gotten everything I needed. The smooth, heavy cream colored lined paper, extra thread and a few tools. I took it back to the metal works room.

Hodges sniffed and took everything out the molding, beginning to assemble it. I spent hours sewing the paper together with the leather and finally, it was complete.

Hodges and I had created a heavy, cast iron box with a keyhole and elaborate engravings on the top created by the mold. There was a notebook inside made of heavy leather with the expensive cream paper bound inside it. The leather also had a cast iron padlock attached to it that would be opened by a different key. Hodges had made two keys and put them on a chain, each key was about the size of my pinkie and could be easily concealed. The metal was still warm, though not white hot as it had been.

"Thank you," I said, inserting the keys in both the locks of the box and the journal to make sure they worked. The whole look was very
Renaissance.

"I hope she enjoys it," Hodges said, putting away the tools.

"Sorry?"

"You're a decent young man, not many who go through here are. But you're not soft enough to keep a diary." Hodges gruffly.

He nodded at me as I turned to leave, his gray eyebrows scrunching together as he cleaned up.

I climbed all the way from the basement to the attic on the third floor and then up the short staircase to the roof. She sat there, her black wavy hair blowing in the wind as she gazed out at the sky. I'd found a friend in her, someone with an ounce of humanity left and she kept me grounded. I felt the need to give her a journal because she was someone I was beginning to really trust and I didn't want her to feel like she had to trust or confide in me if she didn't want to. And I put it in the heavy iron box so nobody could get to her feelings and use them against her.

"Cassia," I said, and she turned around, self consciously tugging at her sleeves. She eyed the box in my hand, not quite sure what to think.

"This is for you," I told her, handing her the chain with the two keys and the box as well. She gripped it tightly, seeming somewhat surprised at its weight.

I sat next to her as she attempted to fit one of the keys in the keyhole but it was the wrong one. Eventually, she tried the other key and the box opened easily with a click.

She eyed the leather bound journal inside with the somewhat sloppy stitches. I'd tried my best but it wasn't perfect. The brand new black leather shone along with its padlock and Cassia put the other key in before opening the journal. She flipped through the pages, watching the lines blur together before running her hands over the heavy, cream paper. There were about 300 pages in the journal, front and back. She should have plenty of space.

"A diary," she asked, looking at me.

"I know you went through something," Is said, not taking my eyes off her, "but I don't know what. We've only been here for about two weeks but I'm beginning to trust you. You're not like the others. I wanted to let you know that you don't have to confide in me if you don't want to. I wanted to give you a way to keep your humanity without being vulnerable to others." her face was as guarded as the box was, her emotions hidden behind iron padlocks as she considered the gift.

"What do you want in return?" she asked.

"Nothing," I replied, "Absolutely nothing."

Spoiler! :
@HazelGrace16 Sorry it took so long!
And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs,
And prayers and proclamations

-Florence + The Machine (All This and Heaven Too)

271 Reviews

Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:49 am
Gravity says...

Ari

I was in the infirmary for two nights and it killed me to miss classes. The nurse, ironically enough a huge, huggable black man, would always fuss at me because I'd be up at night pacing the wing. When I finally was allowed to go back to the bunker, Sharks stared at me. Their reactions were a mix of either admiration for being the only person ever to beat Evangeline and also ridicule because I'd walked away.

There was one thing I didn't understand and that was Crow's drawing. He'd captured the planes of my angular face and had colord my hair red, it was plain to see who the angel was being freed from the chains. But the one thing that confused me was that word. Escape. Why did he care? What was I supposed to escape from? Was this the sort of thing he kept in his notebook? Drawings and cryptic messages?

I never let this confusion show on my face, my expression always blank.

"You're back, huh? I don't see a white flag," Evangeline mused as she folded laundry. Admittedly, it was strange to see the country's fiercest female assassin folding laundry. I peered at the contents of her basket. Black. Even her bras and panties were black. Figures.

"You're probably just colorblind from wearing all that black. Or wait, this might come as a surprise to you, but not everybody is going to let you get your way once you beat them up." I looked at her, "It's kinda childish to sucker punch someone, you know. Especially when just moments before they had the choice to kill you and decided not to."

She chuckled, "Everybody has an off day. You won't ever have an opportunity to do that again. That's what you get for being a coward." Everybody turned to stare at the word 'coward'. You could call somebody swear words, hit, punch, permanently injure, even kill. But calling somebody a coward was over the line. It was the biggest insult of all among fierce warriors.

"I'd rather be a coward than heartless," I said, which doesn't have much impact on an assassin. "But maybe you're not so heartless after all. Go screw your boy toy, Will." She finished her laundry.

"This isn't over, Callahan," she spat, getting in bed. It was getting later and while we had no curfew, nobody wanted to be the one dozing off in Rodriguez's class. That was suicide. Literally.

I went to the showers, happy to have privacy once more. I'd missed my shampoo. And my razors, I definitely missed having smooth legs. I shaved and dressed in spandex black yoga pants that went to mid calf along with a soft form fitting shirt with sleeves that went to the middle of my forearms. I put on my armguards once again, the sleeve somewhat keeping my skin from irritating.

Once I entered the bunker, lights were already out. I didn't even bother getting into bed, I just left the dorm and strode outside into the warm, night air. The grass crunched beneath my feet as I made my way over to one of 10 training gyms. This was my favorite, I was accustomed to it because this was the gym Rodriguez held her classes in. The gyms were huge and each used for different purposes. There was a boxing gym, fitness center, weaponry training room, 4 standard gyms like what Rodriguz used, a yoga center, agility training gym (with hurdles, balance beams, gymnastics equipment, etc.) and then a martial arts training center. The martial arts center was really never used because there wasn't an instructor and the only reason people went in there was for extra padding or specialty Asian weapons. I already had all the weapons I needed.

I went inside Rodrigez's gym and turned on the lights, taking out some mats fromt the supply closet. These basic gyms had essentailly everything you needed for combat. Dummies, punching bags, guards and padding, mats and lots of other stuff I probably never needed to use. The government didn't cheap out when it came to this place.

I began by stretching on the mat, and I felt as if someone was watching me. But nobody appeared to be at the windows so I continued on, dropping into a front split, rotating my legs, hips and torso into a middle split, and turning once more into a front split on the other side. I took my back foot and bent it, stretching my hammies. I was ridiculously flexible, I'd been stretching every day since I was a little girl and it helped me put momentum behind higher kicks.

After that, I practiced some new maneuvers, flipping dummies around. Doing that was useless, I needed another private with Rodriguez to practice them but I figured I could always try stuff out. Then I brought out the heay punching bag, kicking it until my legs were sore. My form of martial art depended entirely on keeping my arms in to block myself and using my legs for offense. That was Evangeline's problem. She wasn't using every part of her body and as a result, her defense was crap. That was the problem with most of the other students, they fought the traditionally "punch people" way. There was a more strategic way to do things.

I ended with a cool down stretch, once again able to bend my body to my will. Then I just laid down on the mat, breathing heavy as my sweat dripped into my hair. I suddenly felt very tired and I could have sworn I saw something flicker in the window. I decided to ignore it. If anybody, it was Evangeline and I didn't really have much to hide from her.

I rubbed my armguards as I got to my feet, taking a drink of water. I left the last little inch and poured the rest of it on my face. It was cold and wet and messy. Everything I wasn't. Except the cold part. I felt a smile tugging at my lips and for once, I let it. I smiled. It hurt my cheeks a little and felt strange but I smiled. And laughed, the laugh coming out hoarse and somewhat raspy. But I had water dripping down my red hair and on my face and on down to my red shirt. My clothes stuck to me and the water made it worse, I couldn't help but think about wet t shirt contests they had in those cheap strip bars.

I ended up grabbing my MP3 player and hooking music up to the stereo system that was strictly used for workout drills. But the bass was pumping and my hips were moving and I was flipping around the gym, endorphins and adrenaline pumping in my ears. I felt free for once. Evangeline couldn't get me and the stupid school nurse couldn't get me and all my bruises couldn't get me. It was just me and music I didn't really care about. And my body was stiff and sore but that didn't really matter.

"I feel good!" I half sang, half yelled, punching the punching bag.

I stopped laughing once the song ended. My eyes suddenly felt heavy and droopy and I was getting tired. My hands and body were bruised and I was stinky again. The time on my MP3 read 2 am. I'd been in there for 3 hours.

I packed up my back and packed my swords back in my armgaurds. I'd need to schedule more private training with Rodriguez. After putting away the mats and turning off the lights, I left the gym.

I'd let go for a few moments. But If I wanted to beat Evangeline, I couldn't do that again for a long time.

Spoiler! :
@TheFantasy14

45 Reviews

Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:33 am
Europa says...

Crow Hokkaido

Book tucked under my arm, I silently made my way across the courtyard to my tree.

This late at night, No one was ever out, which was why I spotted the movement in the gym a few hours later. It was the only building with a light on, and I could see a shadow moving around in one of the windows.

Probably Evangeline training. I thought, climbing down from my usual perch.

I had meant to go back to the bunker, but curiosity snagged at the back of my mind, and I turned back to the bunker. Sneaking quietly over to the building, I took a peek in the window. Aria Callahan was on one of the mats, flipping a sparring dummy over shoulder.

I visit the girl once, and suddenly she's everywhere...

I watched her for a while, flipping dummies, kicking at punching bags, until she stopped, and laid down on the mat. I saw her eyes flick towards the window, and I quickly ducked out of sight.

Why am I even doing this?

I cautiously took another look through the window, and saw Aria splash some water on her face.

Then, to my surprise, she smiled. Just a little at first, then she broke into a huge grin and laughed.
I felt a small smile tug at the corners of my own mouth. She really didn't look as intimidating when she was smiling.
Aria took something out of her pocket and plugged it into the speakers.
Soon music was thumping through the gym so loudly I could feel the bass through the walls.

And Aria began dancing.

This was the first time I'd seen anyone here let go. All her caution and guard was down, and I didn't see a warrior in that gym anymore. I saw a young girl, dancing and singing to the tune of the music.

My smile widened, and I laughed quietly.

When the song ended, so did her moment of freedom. Aria packed up her equipment and slipped her blades back in her arm guards, and began trudging to the door.

I was gone before she got there.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:06 am
HazelGrace16 says...

Cassia Blake

Journal Entry two

It's my third week here at Pierpoint, and already everything has completely changed. Not only at Pierpoint, but also in my life as a whole. As I suspected, Evangeline took over the Sharks with her two minions Copperhead and Black. The sharks went from being intimidating soldiers that I could ignore, into blood thirsty killers that I constantly look over my shoulder for. It’s exhausting. Plus there have been three murders in the past week. I already talked about Brandon, but recently they found Grady dead, and this girl who’s name I think was Olivia, draped around his lifeless body. It's unsettling to think about all the death here. Maybe 3 compared to 3,000 doesn't seem like that much to most, but to me it just adds to the number of deaths I’ve seen in my life. Some say that after you’ve seen so much death you lose track of the names, but after all this time I remember every name, and every face except one. I remember that I wasn’t the one who killed him, but at the same time I’m pretty sure it was my fault. It's all a constant blur. I also have a friend… I don’t know how, but I did. And it's nice having someone. Although I can't show that too much. He gave me this journal to write everything down. At first I thought it was stupid, but I actually am learning things from it. I hope to continue on with it.

~Cass

I place the worn journal into the intricate metal box Xander had given me. I lock it up tight, and place it under my bunk under one of the floorboards away from the views of the other students getting ready for bed. I stand and brush the dust off my pants, then look at the clock. It's almost 11:30 pm, and I know it's time to leave. I grab my side bag, and water and head for the door.

“Where are you headed so late Blake?” I turn to see Evangeline relaxing on her bunk twisting a knife between her two index fingers. “Trying to run away? Aw boo hoo.” She smiles maliciously.

“Look, leave me alone Lakewood. I dont want to deal with you tonight.” I roll my eyes, and continue on.

“Wait. Who said you could talk to me like that?” She stands up now.

“I did.” I step outside of the building into the cold night air. I take a deep breath, and look around. The first thing I notice is his large build. “Ready?” I ask.

“Tell me again why we are going for a run at midnight.” Xander rubs his eyes, and yawns.

“Because I said so. You don’t have to come.”

“Oh heck no. I’m coming.” He says. I slightly smile.

“Then let's go.” I start jogging towards the outer areas of the school. Xander quickly catches up with me, and we run for a good hour. It felt good to run with the cold air hitting my face. It was one of the first times I had felt normal since I arrived at Pierpoint. Around 1 we start walking through the square back towards our living quarters. I can't explain it, but with every step we take I feel more and more uneasy.

“What's wrong?” He asks.

“I don’t know. Do you have the feeling that-” Before I can finish my sentence a rifle shot flies right in front of me striking the cobblestone. “Run!” I yell. We head out of the way from our supposed shooter, but that is exactly what they wanted. We turn the corner, and there waiting for us is Evangeline and her sharks. Everyone from her main team is there except for Will, which makes sense because of the rifle shot. I look at Xander. Both of us have no weapons to defend ourselves.

Crap.

“Lovely night isn’t it?” She smiles, and turns to her minions. “Grab them.” Suddenly all of them rush us at once. We fight them as much as we can, but we are easily overpowered. Peter, and a boy I dont recognize rap my arms tightly behind my back. Copperhead, and two other boys hold Xander.

“What the heck is this?” Xander asks angrily.

“Oh. Its simply reassurance. I need to assure that you two never misbehave my rule again. Let’s see...What do I want to do first? Pin her.” She glares at me as Peter and the other boy quickly pin me to the ground head first. The pounding rattles my brain as white specks dot my vision. I struggle under their weight, but I can’t move. I feel Peter’s breath against my neck, and it makes my stomach clench.

“Let her go!” Xander screams. He struggles harder, but the strength of the three boys is no match for him.

“Shut him up.” Evangeline orders, and one of the sharks slams him in the stomach. Xander coughs, and his knees buckle. I scream and struggle, but it's no use. “Remove the gloves.” My eyes go wide.

“No! Stop! Stop!” I try to bite Peter, but Evangeline slams her boot on my forehead taking my last defense away from me. She rips the chain from my neck with the keys for my gift from Xander. Peter then rips the gloves away from my arms leaving me exposed and bare. Tears fill my eyes, and I gasp.

“Not so brave are you now Blake. God you’re so weak it's disappointing.” She takes her boot off my forehead and walks around me observing the scars. “So the rumors are true. You are a marked traitor. Let's say we open these scars back up. Maybe we might learn something boys.

“You’re sick.” I spit.

“I know” she smiles. “Now.” Peter pulls out a silver knife, and runs the knife across the scars recreating the bloody designs back on my arms. My body shakes at the sight of them. Memories flood my mind in a wave of terror. I scream for what feels like hours, but it doesn't change anything. Peter finishes leaving the cobblestone stained in blood, and all of my old wounds reopened. They lift me from the ground blood dripping down my finger tips. “Alright boys. Now let's show Cassia here what happens to idiots who help traitors.

“No!” I scream. One of the larger sharks begins digging his fists into Xander's body one by one. I hear the blood curdling screams echoing from his throat. He struggles so much, but he is no match for three sharks all overpowering him at once. “Please Evangeline! Leave him alone! I’ll do anything! Just stop this!”

“Shut up!” She spits. She watches a while longer before lifting her hand. “He’s had enough. Keep him alive.” Blood drips from the corner of Xander's mouth and other gashes around his body. The boys throw him to the wall like a rag doll where he falls to the ground. The boys holding me do the same, and throw me to the ground. I crawl towards Xander holding his dazed body in my arms.

“You’ll pay for this.” I say looking up at Evangeline. Tears rush from my eyes, and blood soaks both me and Xander’s bodies.

“Try me.” She smiles once more. “Let's move out!” And just like that they disappeared the same way they came leaving us to bleed in the alleyway.

“I’m so sorry Xander. This is all my fault.” Suddenly a figure approaches. When his face enters the light I immediately know who it is.

Hokkaido.

“What-” I try to ask, but he quickly interrupts me.

“We need to get you both some help now.” He holds his hand out to me.

“We need to get him to the infirmary.” I say looking at Xander.

“We need to get you there too. You’re losing a lot of blood.” He says.

“I'm fine.” I stumble slightly, but manage to help Xander up. Crow grabs his other side, and we slowly walk towards the infirmary. Blood continues to drip from my arms.

When we arrive the nurse gasps, and rushes to us. We place Xander on a gurney, and they rush him away. He was barely conscious.

“Thanks.” I say. “Why did you help us?”

“I always help.” He looks down. I feel my knees start to buckle, and my vision becomes blurry and I feel faint. “Cass!” Crow catches me, and my blood stains his clothes. “Cass!”

Darkness.
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

Reviews: 0
Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:47 am
TheForgottenKing says...

William Black

I watched them beat the kid. And some Eva humiliate the girl. It was, sickening to watch. I've always been one for sending a message, but this seemed a bit drastic, even for Eva. I paused as a shape floated near by. It was the boy, Crow. I turned to watch him carefully. I shook my head." They're going to need your help." I murmured. He cocked his head than nodded, approaching his fallen comrades. I grabbed my rifle and started the walk back to the bunker.

When I got back the Sharks where all talking about the ambush. I glanced over at Copperhead, he seemed to share my dislike of what had happened. He nodded at me as I began to pull my rifle apart and put it in its case. I felt Eva approach me." I sure showed that wimp." She preened. I raised an eyebrow." Ya, you sure showed her. Jumping her with a six plus hit squad." I muttered. She raised an eyebrow." What's gotten into you sourpuss?" I shrugged." Just tired I guess. Have exams tommorow." She laughed." Why not just have someone do it for you?"

I turned to her." Well believe it or not, these people know how to create killers. There tons of useful information. If you took the time to read or do your homework, maybe you'd learn some new things." She scoffed angrily, a bit upset that I wasn't enjoying her "victory" with her. I climbed into my bunk. She crawled in after me. The other sharks watched in near silence." What are you doing Lakewood?" I asked, a bit worried. She smirked.

"Trying to discover what's wrong with you Black." She responded. I raised an eyebrow." Well you have an odd way of getting info out of people." With a light laugh she swung out from under the bed and went to her room." Copperhead raised an eyebrow at me. I shrugged." She's Lakewood. She's wierd like that." He smiled to himself. I settled into my bed and watched the lights go out. But I couldn't get something off my mind. Why hasn't Crow attacked me first, and what in the world was going on with Eva?
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

271 Reviews

Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:29 pm
Gravity says...

Ari

The next morning in classes I heard the rumors. Eva and her posse had kicked the crap out of two people last night. They weren't even sharks, just two kids going for a run who had stood up to her.

"Are you f*cking insane?" I screamed at her as she walked into the training gym. She looked at me, her eyes widening slightly. She'd never heard me yell or be anything but calm and composed. I could tell she wasn't sure if she should be proud for breaking my stone masked or scared. Because if I was scary when composed, I was even worse when angry.

"That's debatable," she said smugly.

"You are a coward." The whole room stops, that one horrible insult. The worst insult you could say to a person. "You had to attack two innocent people who aren't even Sharks. Really, Evangeline, do you doubt your skill that much? There have been 2 or 3 murders in this month alone and what do you do? You attack harmless people."

"I don't doubt my skill," she said, "I don't put up with disobedience."

"We aren't dogs, Eva," I spat and her face reddenned with anger at the nickname. "Pretty soon you're going to realize that there's only one of you and 5 people in that little posse of yours. This entire school full of 2,000 people who absolutely hate you. They just haven't realized that to kick your behind they just need to work together."

"You're a very talented warrior," I told her, my icy blue eyes flashing, "But you are only one person. I've proven that I can beat you but I'm courageous enough to not just kill challenges that get in my way. I have the courage to deal with the challenges and better myself. I spared your life and what did you do? You sucker punched me, the most cowardly act of all. You wouldn't have done that if you weren't afraid of me, Lakewood. I spared you your life once. And unless you make some changes to the way you treat people, you better watch your back. I won't be doing that again."

Evangeline examined her nails and tossed her stupid Barbie color streaked hair over her shoulder. "Are you finished yet?" she asked.

"No," I said, "I hate your hair, all the colors in it. You look like a cabbage patch kid." I walked over to her and aimed a punched for her face which she promptly blocked, slapping her hand on my fist. I'd been expecting this. I took her hand and twisted it around behind her before flipping her over, slamming her on her back. She hadn't been expecting it because she wasn't me, she wasn't a martial artist.

I turned to walk out of the gym but then I felt something pierce the side of my ear. Seconds later, a knife lodged itself to the wall in front of me.

"And you better watch your back, Callahan. We've all seen what happens to people who oppose me."

After I left the gym I made my way to the infirmary, literally running into the nurse.

"I need to see the two people who were admitted last night," I told him, "It's about who attacked them." He gestured to where they're beds were, the curtain between them separate as they tried to talk. The one boy had dark skin that was even darker, marred by bruises. Ordinarily, he would've been beatiful.

The girl had bruises on her pale face as well, but her arms were completely wrapped in bandages. Her black hair was tied sloppily in a bun behind her head.

"I'm Aria," I said, "Aria Callahan, but you can call me Ari." I shook hands gently with the boy and waved at the girl, not wanting to hurt her arms. I fingered my arm guards for a moment, adjusting the fabric.

"Hi," the girl said, "I'm Cassia and this is Xander."

"Hey," the boy said, his voice sounding weird through his puffy lip. "Can we help you in some way?"

"Yeah," I said, "I hate Evangeline as much as you do."

"You're the girl who kicked her butt in practice last week, who she hurt, right?" Cassia asked, her eyes getting wide.

"That's me," I replied, "And you'll be happy to know I screamed obsence things at her and insulted her cabbage patch colored hair in front of the whole training gym with Rodriguez because of what she did to you guys, it wasn't right."

"You did what?" Cassia looked very scared, "You don't know what she will do to you, it's horrible."

"I beat her once," I said, "I can do it again. I'm a shark, same as she is. I share a bunk bed with her just to intimidate her. She and I are matched in skill very evenly. But I know we can beat her if we try. Are you in?"

Cassia and Xander exchanged glances before saying....

Spoiler! :
@TheFantasy14 @HazelGrace16

Spoiler! :
@TheFantasy14

45 Reviews

Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:02 am
Europa says...

Evangeline Lakewood

Thunk

The satisfying sound of the knife emedding itself in the target reached my ears once again, but for once, I didn't feel any pride in the bull's eye.

The keys I had stolen from that Cassia girl were laying disgarded on the floor. I was sick of wearing them anyway. What kind of a trophy was it when I hadn't even done anything?

Thunk

My mind went back to Aria. She was becomming a problem. I couldn't allow her to insult me like that without some kind of punishment. I drew another knife from my jacket, tossing in in the air and catching it by the tip of the blade.
I began thinking of ways to make an example of Ari, but for whatever reason, every option was met with a feeling of apathy.

What's wrong with me?

Normally I'd have found at the very least a sense of satisfaction defeating an enemy, and pleasure at the prospect of punishing another. Especially someone who called me a coward.

Aria Callahan. Called me a coward?

The hypocrite.

Thunk

I reached for another knife, and stopped.

I'm no coward. But then...why did I feel the need to take other people out on that attack?

I readily answered my own question.
I had to demonstrate my dominance to them somehow. Show the others what I can do with the power I won.

The explanation didn't seem to put my thoughts at rest. I looked emptily around at the room, dim in the moonlight.

My grip tightened around the blade of one of my knives and I relished the sting as it cut into my flesh. I ripped it from its pocket and threw it with a savage yell.

Thunk

"I'm more than this!" I snarled at the targets.

I was answered by an empty room and buzz of night insects outside.

Alone as always. A thing I had taken pride in.

But weather I had wanted it to or not, something had changed. Now the only thing I found in that fact was a burning and overwhealming shame.

271 Reviews

Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:29 am
Gravity says...

Xander

I looked at Ari, the girl with the fiery hair and I pondered the offer she had made. On the one hand, if we decided to join her and we beat Evangeline we could bring the Sharks down from their silver pedestal. I wanted nothing more, the way they treated people made my blood boil and my face heat up. On the other hand, if we joined her and we failed, Evangeline could do a lot worse to us. To Cassia.

On the one hand, an incredible victory. On the other? I didn't even want to think about it. It would be dangerous, especially since we were outnumbered. While Evangeline's protectors consisted of about 5 people, the other sharks would not welcome opposition. We'd be going against them as well.

"I don't know," Cassia looked nervous, she seemed to be thinking the same thing. "Would it be just the 3 of us?"

"No, I'm sure we could find more people that hate Evangeline. I wouldn't be comfortable going through with this alone."

"You know that the other sharks will either hate or kill you if you fail, right?" I asked.

"Yes, but if I win," Ari said, "Not only will I be the leader of the sharks but the rest of you won't have to live in fear anymore."

Cassia stayed silent before looking at me. "I trust you, Xander," she said, "I'm not going to do this if you aren't."

I looked back at Ari, at the armguards that undoubtedly held lethal weapons, the eyes that guarded many secrets and at her small but powerful frame. She was an assassin and she had beaten Evangeline before. But could she do it again on a larger scale?

"I'm in. But only if we can get a group together and only under a solid plan."

She flashed her teeth but didn't smile. It was more like she was baring her teeth. She opened her mouth to speak just before a voice came on over the PA system.

"Attention warriors, report back to your bunkers. On the walls you will find a set of rules and instructions. Read them and prepare yourselves. The first war game will commence in 48 hours."

Ari's piercing blue eyes flashed wickedly. "Excellent."

Spoiler! :
@HazelGrace16 @TheFantasy14

271 Reviews

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:51 pm
Gravity says...

Ari

It was dark and I was in the gym, practicing for the games. Training.

I saw a flicker of movement near the window but I quickly looked away, I didn't want Evangeline to know I knew she was watching me.

I walked over to the equipment closet and brought out a few practice dummies, you could only carry so many back and forth so I had an excuse to be in the closet for a few minutes while I planned, Evangeline wouldn't know what hit her.

There was a small, rectangular window near the top of the wall, for ventilation purposes. I opened it and shimmied through, thankful that I never indulged in chocolate or french fries. I then dropped to the ground, inching my way around the building. I saw Evangeline there, she was turned away from me and I could barely make out her shape in the dark.

"What do you think your doing, Lakewood?" I asked, shoving her against the wall. It was only then, in the glow of the gym windows, that I saw it wasn't Evangeline. It was Crow.

He raised his hands "Um."

"Oh." I took my hands away. "I thought you were Evangeline," I told him.

"I gathered that. I don't have the right parts unfortunately," he said curtly, the corners of his mouth turning up into a wry smile.

"Sorry." I stood there awkwardly, feeling embarrassed. Then I remembered why I was out here. I knew he'd been watching me for a few weeks and yet here I was the one feeling like a dork.

"Still, why have you been watching me?" I demanded. Old Ari was back, the me that was composed, confident, a blank mask.

He paused for a minute. "I have insomnia." he said simply which irritated me. He was a man of little words.

"Yeah, well, after what happened with Xander and Cassia we have targets on our backs. Are you coming inside?" I asked, holding the door of the gym open.

He let out a breath of air and followed me into the gym. I grabbed my water bottle and took a sip.

"Want some?" I asked, "Stalking me must be really exhausting."

"I wasn't stalking you."

"Uh huh." I was loose, relaxed. I wanted to kick myself. I needed to keep myself calm, composed, emotionless.

"I like to climb trees, sunshine isn't great for pale skin and I don't like other people. Therefore, I'm out at night."

"That doesn't explain why you've been watching me."

"You can cut the act with me, you know. I've seen you let loose when going back into the bunkers from my tree." He said it so quickly I wasn't sure he'd even spoken at all.

"What act?" I asked, fighting the urge to bite my lip.

"You're not emotionless. You didn't kill Evangeline, after all."

"Yeah, well, maybe I should have. We all would've been better off."

"Everybody except for you," he said, eyeing my arm guards. "You know, you've never taken those off."

I drew out the butterfly swords, wincing as the fabric of my arm guards loosened and rubbed against my tender skin.

"Wow," he murmured, looking at the blades. "You know how to use those?"

"Yes," I said slyly, "You can even test me on it if you want."

"I'm good." he said flatly. "So why are you in here?"

"Getting ready for the games," I replied, taking my hair down from its ponytail and then tying it back up once more.

"You're fighting for the sharks." It wasn't a question, it was a statement. I watched his lip curl in disgust.

"Sort of," I replied, "You'll see."

"See what?"

"I'll tell you when you're ready. Until then, I know you have a background in martial arts. So..."

"I'm not nearly as good as you. You demonstrated that when you kicked my butt in a few days ago, remember?" He smiled wryly once more as he spoke.

"Well, unless you're afraid of cooties, maybe I could teach you a few things?" I asked expectantly.

Crow thought for a minute before saying...

Spoiler! :
@TheFantasy14 Sorry it took so long! I've been insanely busy!

Reviews: 0
Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:14 pm
TheForgottenKing says...

William Black

Bang. Bang. Bang.

"Three shots, head, heart and stomach." Instructor Thompson said, lowering the binoculars. He shook his head in amazement." Damn kid. One of the best shots that I've ever seen, I have to tell you. SAS trained well." I let out a smirk as I calmly reload my rifle." Experience mostly Teach. Spent a year sniping rebels as a part of the Alliance in India. Most of it was jungle, but there were a few city missions as well." He let out a grin." Bet you put those Rebs in there places."

I shrugged nonchalantly." Theres a reason there's no resistance cell in Mumbai anymore." Thompson snorted, moving along the line of other students trying their hand at sniper rifles. As I put another round into the chamber, someone nudged my leg. I turned to stare into the eyes of Aria Callahan. I pulled the ear plugs out of my ears and stood up, brushing off my shirt." Can I help you?" I asked politely. She studied me for a second.

"I was just wondering if you were going to participate in the war games tommorow." She asked. I shrugged." I don't know. Possibly. Maybe not. Not entirely sure yet." She nodded than asked." So what's with you and Lakewood?" Her eyes hardened, as if saying Eva's name gave her a bad taste. I sighed, running a hand thru my sweaty hair.

"I really don't know. She never used to be so violent. I worked a mission with her in Russia, and I haven't seen her since. Than I come her and poof, blast from the past. I'm not with her. I'm a mercenary lass, whoever offers me the best deal gets my set of skills. I can say I'm a little astonished at how harsh she's been, but I've still got her back when she needs me."

Ari nodded in understanding." I appreciate that in someone.but don't you see? She could've killed some people, just for spite." I nodded again." I can't help you on that Callahan, you'll have to bring that up with her. If anyone can find her. She wasn't at the bunker last night, and she's been missing a lot of her classes." Ari's eyes glinted curiously at this information. She shrugged." Thanks for the info Black." She smiled softly." Your all right Will. I'll be honest with you." I waved her away as she left and I got back into my sniping position, taking aim at the target, right between the eyes.

Bang.
"I make my own luck"- Shay Patrick Cormac

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:35 am
Chaser says...

Copperhead

Cold green light scintillated from the table, grotesquely warping the face of my opponent. Professor Velder clasped his hands in front of his mouth, staring down at the electronic board that shimmered in the darkness.

“You’ve certainly gotten a lot better, haven’t you?” he said, tapping the screen twice: the first to select a piece, the second to move it.

His bishop sliced across the board, threatening over my frontline of pawns. I pondered for a moment before countering with my knight, gesturing for him to move.

“Ah, but you must learn patience, my student.” Velder smirked before charging his rook across the board, smashing my knight to digital bits. “Just because you developed the program, does not mean you are the master.”

“It’s virtual chess, Professor,” I responded, moving my pawn forward to defend. “I doubt you can say you’re a master, either.”

“True.” The professor’s eyes flashed. “But this is still an important game for students. What is battle without strategy? A perfect plan makes war into art. Painting blood across the canvas of nations,” he shuddered for a moment, grinning, “is truly the most lovely demise.

“But you would know all about that, wouldn’t you?” He leaned on his hand smugly, wounding my pieces. “Copperhead, fang of the Black Fist.” Chuckling, he sat back and shook his head. “A mass murdering terrorist at ten years old.”

I brushed my hair back, my face remaining unchanged. “I was young and impressionable, with access to bombing drones,” I said, taking his rook with my leftover knight. I glanced up. “Since then, the first two things have changed.”

“Hm.” Velder pondered for a moment before retreating his bishop. “This is a nice little game you’ve set up, Copperhead, but don’t you think it’s a bit simplistic?”

“It’s only a game, professor. Meant to remove boredom, of which there is no shortage.”

“True.” He fell silent, poking the screen. We continued to sit in the darkness of the computer lab, maneuvering our pieces in a digital battle. The only sounds that could be heard were the stylized sound effects of blood and death, captured with stunning realism.

“Shouldn’t you be preparing for the war game?” he asked as he moved more pieces forward, pressing his attack.

“That’s just what I’m doing, Professor.” A quick survey of the board revealed my side at a disadvantage, like rebels against the government. I showcased no reaction.

“Well, if you went to all this trouble,” Professor Velder slashed his bishop through my frontline, threatening my king. “I’ll just have to crush you all the more.”

Examining the board for a moment, I glared up at him. There was no way I could escape check, not without quashing the threat before me.

“Fine,” I said, springing my queen onto his bishop and smashing it into oblivion. Distant roars of bullets and blood sounded from the board. I looked up at my opponent, who didn’t seem to be taking much notice of the truth.

Instead, he was focused on the game before him. Velder began chuckling, throwing his head back as he pushed the screen. I watched helpless as his rook flew down the board to take my queen. A synthesized scream echoed from the game, reverberating in my skull.

Velder burst into harsh laughter, all courteous pretense gone. I sat back, feeling nothing at his mirth.

Gradually, he calmed down, leaning over the table, letting out a few dying chuckles. “Why, dear Copernicus,” he taunted, “I never imagined you’d sacrifice your own queen.”

His chuckling seemed to get deeper, all other sound sinking away into a deep, dark chasm. At the same time, my heartbeat slowed, the blood pulsing softly in my chest. I smiled.

The chessboard erupted in plumes of red, crimson pixels washing across the field. Velder jumped back as both our forces were completely wiped out. “What-”

“I’m surrendering.” I stood up, expressionless. With a clap of my hands, the lights flicked back on. I nodded at the professor. “Excellent game, professor.”

Velder looked completely astonished as I scooped up the tablet, pushing my chair in behind me. “I don’t think we’ll be doing this again,” I said, sweeping out the door. A light breeze whispered as it drifted shut.

Coming to the end of the hallway, I slid down one of the hatches, avoiding the buzzsaws with minimal effort, barely containing my grin. As you may have guessed, our chess game was no mere simulation. Hacking military radio was child’s play, the rebels’ even more so. All the while, I held them in the napalm of my hand. The Sharks would play their war game; I would play mine.

The Phantom Alcove was empty that day, since our meetings had been scant at best since Evangeline’s shift in behavior. The bloodstained table was still sitting under dusty lamplight, the faint stench of death in the air. At the end, there were chairs where a young psychopath and his queen used to reside.

I sighed, walking across the room to a smaller table. I’d asked a few Sharks to procure a few tools from the workshop, setting them up in this area. On top of that table, the bronze helm lay, the bizarre design catching the light.

Lifting the helmet up, I inspected it carefully. The outside had dulled a bit since I’d first received it; it suited me, I supposed. Peering inside, I could see my own additions resting within the head’s frame.

Holding it delicately, I lifted it up. It had been a gift, a gift from somebody important.

She couldn’t have been that important. Nothing was important to me. Nothing, and no one. I was no one, and nothing.

I slipped the copper head on, feeling the world tune out around me. Blissful silence echoed in the dull bronze plates. Swaying slightly with each step, I walked back to the table.

Moving around it, I gazed at the rusted bloodstains. Crimson memories of two lovers flashed through my mind, grating along a dissonance of strings. Twitching, I raked my fingers along the wood, letting the sound burn my thoughts away.

“Someone important?” I chuckled, shaking my head. “Who? I don’t have anyone important to me. I don’t know any girls. Who’s Olivia?”

An iron torrent of sorrow crashed over me. I barely felt the pain, the overwhelming agony that seemed to nestle within my bones, poking around for a second before violently tearing itself out. The fear, the disgusting shivers that crawled like maggots through my veins - I knew none of it.

Whoever this person (Olivia!) was, they had wished for me to be one thing. A psychopath. And I would fulfill their (her) wishes by disregarding them entirely. It was a beautiful paradox, to love by hating. But I knew nothing of love (Olivia!).

“Huh.” My arms hung limp at my sides. I stared at the ceiling, emotionless inside the bronze shell. This school was made of brick after brick after brick, all the same size and shape. Had the world always been so drab?

I took one last look around myself, before muttering softly, “I’m bored.”
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

271 Reviews

Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:17 am
Gravity says...

Ari

"Listen up," Rodriguez yelled, calling to our bunker.

"The first war game is simple. It's capture the flag. You all get red bandanas, your competition is about half a mile away, on the other side of the bunker field. They're wearing green bandanas.

You all will wear these vests," he pointed to boxes full of vests with tiny red buttons on the back and on the front. "If anybody gets close enough to press a button, you will be injected with serum that will knock you out for 2 minutes. After that, someone will either drag you out of the way or you will take yourself out. These red dots are located in places that you can't be stabbed or shot in without dying. If you cheat and join the game again after you 'die' then that's your loss, we're here to learn and to kick ass. And nobody appreciates a cheater, or a coward."

"War game starts in 2 hours. I suggest you plan out strategy," he paused. "Also, practice knives and simulation guns only. I don't want to see anybody hurt here."

As soon as Rodriguez left to instruct the other bunks, Eva sprang into action.

"Get these vests passed out," she snapped at tiny freshman.

"You guys need to get used to fighting and walking around with these on. Copernicus, Aria," her lip curled in disgust as she said my name, "and Will. You're staying behind."

I walked up to her. She glared at me, her blue eyes boring into mine. "You're on strategy because you're the only person good enough here to even come close to my skill. Not because I like or trust you. If you make me doubt your judgement for one second you'll wish you could take Xander and Cassia's place. Understood?" her jaw clenched and I nodded, tying my hair back into a ponytail.

"I want to win as badly as you do," I said, "I don't trust you either. After this, watch your back." she raised her chin, her jaw stiffening even more. I knew she would, though. Whether she wanted to acknowledge it or not, I made her nervous.

Eva, Copernicus, Will and I assembled. We were all quiet, Eva urged us to spill our ideas.

"I have an idea," I said,

they all looked at me as I had not spoken a word the entire planning session. It all seemed so obvious to me. Cop seemed especially interested.

"A honey pot," I said simply. "We lure them in with a fake flag and think they've caught it, but we actually have 3 people with the real flag on the roof. Once they bust in, we wipe them out and then go join our group at their base. We buy us more time because this bunker is the last place they will expect us to hide. They'll waste time checking the training gyms, but it's reverse psychology. This is the last place they'll look because it's the most obvious. We act like we're guarding a flag that isn't there, then they die fighting for something that's been right under their noses the entire time."

"It seems intelligent," Copernicus said wryly, "But how many people do you think we have? It won't work, we'll be spreading our numbers too thin."

"No we won't," I said, "Eva stays, guarding the fake flag with a few other disposable sharks along with one or two other key players to make them thing we've brought our numbers. You stay on the roof, out of sight, employing your drones and changing strategy as needed based on what you see along with one or 2 of our strongest, just in case something goes wrong. Will and I go alone to get the other flag. The rest will be located on other parts of campus, acting as if they are guarding a flag when they aren't, but they'll waste their numbers fighting for it. They won't know where the real flag is. By the time they get to us, they'll be so stripped of their numbers that the fight will be over in seconds."

"And you propose that we send only two men to go get the other teams flag?" Copernicus argued.

"It's crazy, but it makes sense," Will whispered, "It's brilliant actually. She and I are trained in martial arts. Our entire skill is based around being stealthy. It would actually be hurting us to bring more men, we'd be more easily spotted and they would slow us down."

"So these other groups around campus," Eva asked, "how would they work?"

"We choose three key points, academics building, maybe two of the training gyms and leave teams of 4-5 people at each location. They'll think they have a flag when they won't. If they even get to our honey pot, their numbers will be so low it won't matter."

"Why not put the honey pot at one of those other locations, won't it be safer?" Eva asked, "less obvious."

"No," I argued, "We need to hide it right under their noses. If they do, by chance, come to the bunker first, they won't know we have men on the roof. They'll just think the bunker location is another diversion."

"You're positive it will work." Eva said blandly, staring me down.

"Unless something horrible goes wrong," I said, "I think it's the best plan we've got.

Spoiler! :
@TheFantasy14 @TheForgottenKing @Chaser

45 Reviews

Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:11 am
Europa says...

Crow Hokkaido
"Alright! That's the start signal, people!" A big burly girl shouted. "Hokkaido, I want you to take a few others and attack the flag near the west campus!"

I shrugged.

"I'm fine."

"Excuse me?"

"I'll go alone."

The burly girl shook her head and rushed out the door with the others. I exited ten steps behind the others, calmly walking out into the shouting and gunfire. Already, I could see a few people unconscious on the ground. I shuddered. They really did look dead. I swiftly ran past the bodies to my tree in the center of the courtyard, swiftly lifting myself into it's highest branch.

To heck with that flag hunting crap.

I unslung the simulation gun from my back. It felt strange. Lighter and less bulky than an actual gun. I leveled it onto my shoulder, and glared through its scope. I hadn't even fired a shot when I saw them. A slight, athletic looking boy...and a small girl with bright red hair.

Again? Really?

I Jumped down almost soundlessly from my branch. The ground hurt my feet a little when I landed. I saw the pair disappear around the corner and rushed to catch up. I pressed myself against the front wall, and peered cautiously around the corner. There they were, just sneaking around to the back. I slipped around the side and again spyed around the corner of the building as one of them darted into the gym. The other stayed at the door. Ari. She spoke without looking over.

"Stalking us again, Hokkaido?"

Well...Crap.

I stayed silent.

"I know you're there, Crow. If you don't come out, I'll come find you."

hmmm. you know, the quote generator deserves some garlic bread
— SilverNight